Speaker 1: So here we go. Remember what George Michael said when he crashed into that tree. Oh that's good. I remember this.
Speaker 2: Wam wham went at the win. I show you're gone ruing it. He except supposed to be pursuing it, tumbled out Shaw shaking through the sewer.
Speaker 3: Kid, Now what chilling?
Speaker 1: I think? Eagle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're doing it. Three o'clock on the dot. Got a habit for my house, a goat. That is how we're starting. Kidting cratty show that up bultiply like a rabbit. Do in so out, creak it up, beat the habit.
Speaker 1: I hang out with our friends, rocking on the radio. My boys get talking on the radio. It's time to do this falls again. All bababy, we know KT Christine Skin A Happy Thursday, everybody.
Speaker 5: It's the world famous Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one The Eagle. Thank you for tuning in and making us a part of your daily routine. Got a fun show for you planned today. All hands on deck on Ben Rodgers joined by Jeff skin Wade, Kevin KT Turner, Christina k Ray, little Bit Cornbread Ray and Riley is in the house as well. We got a full Yeah, we got an intern in the house. We're hanging out, unpaid intern. Don't shoot at her, all right, Okay, no matter what, don't do that. Uh, this is gonna be awesome though. We're gonna have a great show. I just want to dive right in. Yesterday we had a very special extravaganza. We were live from the American Airline Center. We we had our draft coverage, the MAVs draft draft, Cooper flag number one overall, and then we simulcasted three hours of the MAVs television broadcast, which featured Jeff skin Wade, Mark Followell, and Teddy Emrick and then all sorts of guests. And I want to say, I thought that was one of the most ambitious television productions and simulcast events in DFW sports history. And here's here's why. Because it's for all these different platforms, which is crazy. It was live on the Eagle, it was live on television, it was streamed everywhere. But it was also a live performance for a stadium. Yeah you know what I mean. And so you are you're entertaining eight to twelve thousand people at a state and do you know how many people are there? I think there was five five that was the estimate. Brad Townshend had, Hey, I think he's hating. I think it was definitely twenty thousand packed. No, but it was, you know, a live show for all of those people, but also live across all these mediums and with all of these different guests.
Speaker 1: And I left.
Speaker 5: I was going to try to get home, so I could, you know, driving from the AAC back home to the Prosperous line of border, it's about fifty minutes or now, dude, And so I wanted to get back there to be able to watch the Cooper flag pick to see the video.
Speaker 1: So I listened to a full hour of that, and man, I thought it was great.
Speaker 5: Mark Orcguire is one of my favorite old time players in the history of DFW sports kind of has not been really connected with the organization. It's kind of like Wan Gonzalas and the Rangers a little bit or something like that, and they're good comparison.
Speaker 1: Something odd there.
Speaker 5: I didn't know what it was, but for him to be invited to be a part of that, he was openly sobbing and loving the adulation he was getting from Dallas fans.
Speaker 1: It's a very.
Speaker 5: Unique situation to be sitting next to a man that you're interviewing in front of five thousand people, who is crying because you do not know what to do. Yeah, you know, and my wife makes fun of me because you know I cry all the time anyways, And so I was tell him I just go. So you were crying, right, and I was like, I was thinking about it. I was considering it. There is a tear welling up, but you don't know what to do because you know there's an emotional moment and you don't want to talk on top of it, but you also want to like kind of, I don't know, can I help this person? When I was proud of you, dude, I thought you were very supportive because I would have been paralyzed by the moment and wouldn't have even spoken, and you were like supportive of him.
Speaker 1: You were like, dude, no, dude, let it out.
Speaker 5: I can't remember exactly how you worded it, but to me, it was like you were there supporting him, also not getting in the way of the thing and keeping everyone up to date that was listening on the radio or whatever that this is ongoing. I thought it was really well done. It's the other thing too, that I didn't know until I saw him walking out. He's got some sort of health issue that's happened in the last six months, and so he struggled to get up the stairs and so then I was like, oh, and then to get out of his chair. He was struggling to get out of his chair when this set was over. So I reached out to see if he wanted me to help him up, and he didn't. And then I realized that was a great idea because he's a big man. He just would have pulled me right back chair. I'm a little scrawny guy.
Speaker 3: God.
Speaker 5: So but it was, well, like, how did he get detached from the organization and how did he get pulled back in?
Speaker 3: And what was that like?
Speaker 5: From what I understand, I mean, I'm not sure exactly whose idea it was. It might have even been Mike Marshall's. But the idea of the night, and that's why you had a video from Troy Aikman. They had this whole you know, that's why Paige Becker's came out. The idea of the night is we haven't had a number one pick since Mark Aguire in nineteen eighty one. So let's see if we can get Mark Aguire back into the mix. And you know, Harp has kept up with him, and in fact, you remember me and Harp and Maguire did a podcast in twenty twenty one talking about all that. And Harp is one who has been big on Mark was the best player, you know I've ever played with Mark. Needzev's number retired and so, but there's other people in the organization that a Cuban never felt that way. Cuban didn't want his number retired. I didn't want his number retired until Harp told me I was wrong.
Speaker 1: And I told you're wrong. It didn't impact you though, Yeah.
Speaker 5: And even Randy Galloway was like, I was too hard on Aguire, you know. And so you know what happened was Aguire forced his way out of here he was at and John McLeod, who was coach at the time, publicly said, you know, we need to get rid of Mark's attitude. Yeah, I'm paraphrasing. And so he went to Detroit to go play with his best friend Isaiah Thomas and win rings. While we got Adrian Dantley who was washed up and didn't even report like we traded for a washed up player. We traded our best player for a washed up player that didn't want to be here. It took a week to show up like it sucked, and it was the beginning of the end. So that happened in eighty eight, and then a year and a half later, the Mavericks were the worst franchise in the NBA for a decade. So it's not just the Aguire trade, but it's all the horrible moves they made, and that was they went from Game seven of the Western Conference Finals to the worst team in the NBA. The thing about last night that I saw, and I saw this on social media. I don't know if this is because of you guys with your broadcast, and if it was, it might have been in part you might have made this happen.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: But seeing Dirk send a video on behalf of the MAVs to Cooper Flag was powerful and meaningful to me. Yeah me too, because I don't know where that relationship is right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: And but Dirk is loyal to MAVs fans more than anything, and this is his organization. But Dirk shot a video for Cooper Flag, and I thought that was so classy, So awesome. Yeah, and I think I think Dirk is going to be a huge Cooper Flag fan. That's his kind of guy. Dirk showed up and was all about his business, you know, And so you don't think he's going to connect with Cooper Flag, right, Yes, he's going to connect with Cooper Flag.
Speaker 1: But also, you know, people are making a lot of.
Speaker 5: This about this, and they want Dirk to be out there and you know doing this that Dirk is focused on his next career working for Amazon. Dirk is spending his I'm getting ready to go kick ass at that that's his focus, right, And so I you know, Dirk has said it.
Speaker 1: He's an MFFL for life.
Speaker 5: He loves MAVs fans, his statues out there, he's he's not gonna turn his back on this organization.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: I stopped by it, spent some time at the statue last night. It is so incredible.
Speaker 1: It's did you glow?
Speaker 5: It is, man, It's and it says loyalty never fades, and it is so damn good. So of course, of course Dirk's not ever going anywhere.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 5: We are off and running today Thursday, June twenty sixth, coming up in just over three minutes. We're gonna have where We're gonna have thing skin Weight is tracking. Where you gonna take us?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 5: I'm for once am going to talk to about a documentary and tell you not to watch it. Give away those Kaboom Town tickets, shall we We've got a four pack for you, and we use the iHeart app the talkback feature.
Speaker 1: If you don't have that app, what are you doing? Download it? It's free.
Speaker 5: You could stream us, listen to podcasts all your favorite iHeart programming. The first person to leave their name, their phone number, their email a via the talkback feature, and the answer to the question who was the only other number one pick in Dallas Maverick's history besides Cooper Flag We were talking about it in the last segment. If you're a Maverick fan or you were listening, you know, and you can be the person to win those tickets. Good luck everybody. I'm excited to get back to that New York Times Best Movies of the twenty first century list. We'll do that at the bottom of the hour, but right now it's time for this.
Speaker 3: Skinny's track. Another edition of Things is traffic.
Speaker 5: All right, So yesterday was June twenty fifth, twenty twenty five, and we'll probably remember it forever as the day we drafted Cooper flag.
Speaker 1: Am I dad's birthday?
Speaker 5: Oh, Jean, yeah, you didn't tell us it was Eugene's birthday yesterday.
Speaker 1: I wonder why I wouldn't tell you guys about that.
Speaker 5: We should have him on. Let's see if we can reach him. Don't we have his house wired with Mike's Would you pull him up in there? Okay, yeah, there is, He's pulled up. Now, let's see Eugene. It's the ben and skinch Are you.
Speaker 1: Near your mic?
Speaker 3: Hold on?
Speaker 1: I god you, I'm a tractor. Okay, Hey, if you get a chance, we uh to come near your mic.
Speaker 5: Bro.
Speaker 1: We just want to tell you happy birthday. We're the guys at work with Christina.
Speaker 5: Oh hell, yesterday, little baby corn Brand didn't even wish me happy bird?
Speaker 3: No, sir?
Speaker 1: Why she was down at a fancy Dallas rato.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, sir. Well she's here today and she's willing to tell Christina. Do you want to tell your dad Happy birthday?
Speaker 3: Dad?
Speaker 1: I told you this yesterday. Happy birthday. I wan't listens. I was out feeding the donkeys, don't we got him last week if you come you know, no, sir, does Christina not come home and visit? Enough? Belma, get out here. I'm talking a little baby. Gor she's at work, heard work.
Speaker 3: I gotta go.
Speaker 1: Okay, see you later, sir, man. That was great.
Speaker 7: What's funny is we did have dinner with my mom last night. We did talk about his tractor. Y'all are so crandall? And what's it called?
Speaker 1: Estessace? Eustace?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so people will remember it is Eugene's birthday, the day we drafted Cooper flag and what's going to happen for me tonight?
Speaker 1: The day that season four of the Bear dropped? Oh is yesterday? Man?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Is that right? So?
Speaker 1: And you can watch the whole thing or you got to wait a week at a time. God, Unfortunately, you can watch the whole thing. I hate that we watched the first episode.
Speaker 5: Oh you did?
Speaker 1: How is it good? Okay? I can't wait. That's a high pitched good. I also watched the season three finale two nights ago to Oh you know, I was going to do that because we did that last time before watching season three. We're going to slow burn it that. I mean, I would love to extend it throughout the summer one episode a week.
Speaker 5: So is the last episode of season three the one where they played the all of Letdown by Radiohead?
Speaker 1: Don't remember that part? I think so that might have been season two. That's where the big confrontation happens in the bathroom. Yeah, with Joel McHale. Yeah, your hero. Oh it's so good. Okay, So I'm excited about that.
Speaker 5: The other thing I'm tracking is, you know, I come in here all the time and I recommend documentaries to you guys that I know you'll never watch. I watched a documentary two nights ago that Christina had seen. I think Kat is considering it. I'm curious where you're at on this bend. But the Becoming led Zeppelin documentary is on Netflix. Now let's turn to our resident led Zeppelin expert, Christina Kray A little Baby Cornbread Ray, How did you like it?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 7: I saw it in IMAX, so that may skew my view of things, because I thought it was incredible, and obviously I'm a huge Zeppelin fan, so I love that as well. And I went into that like, I know a lot about Zeppelin. I've read books, I've watched some documentaries whatever. Yeah, but there are still things that I learned about them. There was a lot from John Paul Jones that I actually didn't know. And then there was that interview of on them that they had never heard before. That was my favorite part them all. Listening to that interview anyway, I was blown away.
Speaker 1: I really liked it.
Speaker 7: I liked seeing some of that unseen concert footage again on a huge Imax screen and hearing it and it's felt like I was actually there, So I loved it.
Speaker 1: So I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 5: I had some things that I was a little disappointed in or frustrated in, but there was some amazing things. And one thing Christina's talking about is there's just not a lot of stuff out there with John Bonham the drummer, and honestly, as great as all those guys are, led Zeppelin has led Zeppelin because of that drummer, Like he's the greatest.
Speaker 1: Rock drummer of all time. I'll argue with anybody a nerd out over it.
Speaker 5: There's nobody like and dude, the fact that John Bonham Jovi then went out to have a singing career and swinging after that was incredible, and they got into that in the documentary, I'm assuming yeah they did, and they didn't.
Speaker 1: But they did.
Speaker 5: Did they get into the bulgears because the jeans they because they were were those real denim bulges or were those socks? As so when they first went to America, the bulges weren't there, but the second time they went back, the bulges were more prominent.
Speaker 1: You notice that, No, I didn't.
Speaker 5: So what I'm curious about is I know a lot about led Zeppelin two, not the album, the band.
Speaker 8: And so.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of stuff in there about Jimmy Page. That's great, but it's already been covered in the It Might Get Loud documentary with Jack White and The Edge. So I knew a lot of that stuff already. Which that's a badass documentary, Davis Skuggenheim. If you haven't seen it, that's amazing. But also, you know, I didn't realize. The documentary is about led Zeppelin becoming a phenomenon which happened in one year. It happened in one year. They released two albums. They were nothing in the UK, they toured America, they blew up and became maybe the biggest band in the world. And so it's Basically it's about their childhood and then one year of led Zeppelin. So when it ended, it ended as led Zeppelin two is dropping and I'm sitting there going, oh god, there's so much more I wanted out of this because what happens with led Zeppelin. I mean, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant end up hating each other, and Robert Plant blames Jimmy Page for the death of his child and he blames him for the death of John Bonham, that Jimmy Page brought all this black magic occult stuff into the band, and then all this it's like, there's am I over exaggerating?
Speaker 1: No, You're right on all of this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so to me, I'm like, I want to hear them talk about this, And then I realized I bet they.
Speaker 1: Won't talk about Oh you haven't heard the news being led Zeppelin coming out next year.
Speaker 5: So in my dreams, So the way that I wanted to leave this was what you know, me and Christina saw. We both liked it, but I don't know that I would recommend it to someone that wasn't a led Zeppelin nerd.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it leaves you wanting more for sure. Yeah, that's all I could think about leaving. I was like, there, when do we get the rest of this?
Speaker 1: Like, if you're way into show business, then if you want more.
Speaker 5: If you're way into the first two led Zeppelin records and way into them, you'll enjoy it. If not, you're gonna be like, wait, what are they better? Even here Stairway to Heaven? Are they better than def Leppard?
Speaker 2: Two?
Speaker 1: One, four seven eight seven one?
Speaker 5: And that is how you end a segment Coming up next, let's get back to the list of the top movies of the twenty first century fifty to forty right here on the leagues.
Speaker 9: Juicy News, Hot Gods, every stay on the Top, in the woods, shovel roots.
Speaker 1: Sure, really great article that's kind of serving as our Jacob de Grom for the week. This is the New York Times top one hundred movies since the year two thousand and They got actors and directors in Hollywood, people to all fill out of ballot. There's a thing on there where you can fill out your own ballot. Do you know, off the top of your head, how many there were five hundred? Oh my god, oh movies or no people?
Speaker 2: No people?
Speaker 1: Five hundred?
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we've gotten through quite a bit of it. They're dropping the top twenty tomorrow, which I'm sure we'll do tomorrow. Yep, we got to fifty yesterday, which was the movie.
Speaker 9: Up.
Speaker 1: Let's go to forty nine now. Richard Linkletter Boyhood No. Two thousand and four Before Sunset? Oh, this will be. That's the first one of the trilogy.
Speaker 5: Ethan Hawk and Juliette what's her name, Julie Delpy, Julie Delpy.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I never saw it, so I don't know. So it's a trilogy.
Speaker 5: It's it's an American and a French woman and it's about their love affair, and then they do three of this. I can tell you these movies had a huge impact on my nephew. Okay, Like I saw a play he did in high school and I'm watching it him, going, did you watch Before Sunset recently? Because it's anyways. Richard Linkletter's Great Filmmaker. Number forty eight is The Lives of Others from two thousand and seven. It was voted for by Matthew the guy who did Mad Men.
Speaker 6: No. I really No.
Speaker 1: Forty seven almost famous seeing that one, right, I've.
Speaker 5: Seen that one. That's a great movie. I still will watch that anytime it's on with you. And what Goldie Hawn's daughter, what's her name?
Speaker 1: Kate Hudson.
Speaker 5: I saw her doing an interview on this and she said that this like launched her whole career. Was like, that was a major breakthrough. And I don't think she initially was.
Speaker 1: Was up for this part.
Speaker 5: I dig stuff like this when you find out about things that happened with casting. Yeah, she was trying to get a different part and then ended up in that part and had to beg to get it and then blew them away, and then it just launched.
Speaker 1: Her whole career really really cool. I think it's a good movie.
Speaker 5: It's a great movie, and it's autobiographical of Cameron Crowe and you know his whole story. Who is the band it's supposed to be? Is it just like a reputation? It's an amalgam of a bunch of different bands.
Speaker 1: But I can't remember.
Speaker 5: I saw one time there was a band that he toured with, and I can't remember who it was now, but I think they just merged a bunch of different bands together.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize this was him until I saw The Morning Show. But Billy Krudep's that movie and then he's so good in the Morning Show and I was like, oh, what else has he been in? It was like, oh, he was the guy who was almost famous. Yeah, Bildie or Kate Hudson's love interest. Number forty six is a movie called Roma. It's about tomatoes. It was nominated for Best Picture, which one of us saw this for when we did not, but it was voted for by John Lithgow. I can tell you that. So he had a lot of good things to say about it. People are talking about the things he was saying. Everyone's saying it forty five Moneyball, It's good. I don't ever feel inclined to rewatch it, but I can't. I can't do it. I couldn't imagine people who didn't like sports liking that movie. That feels like a very niche No.
Speaker 5: To me, it's people who don't really like sports, because if you like sports, you're like, you're five minutes into the movie going, I can't handle how wrong all this day they have to stretch the reality to me, make it work for a movie. It'd be super boring to have it be you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, yeah, And it's like, you know, the performances at Brad Pitt's great, Jonahill is great, the performances are great, wonderful, But man, five minutes in and a guy shows up to do a trade at a stadium, I'm just like that. I'm like, I can't do this draft day tap going on, Yes, number forty four.
Speaker 1: I can't believe I missed this one. And once upon a time in Hollywood it's awesome. I dig it.
Speaker 5: Our special guest Riley's over here is shaking her head. Yes, there's a if you know a lot about that time period in Hollywood as well, which I do?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: That's that's something.
Speaker 5: In fact, the other day I brought up that easy Writer's Raging Bulls book, which a lot of the stuff that's in that movie is detailed in that book. So Quentin Tarantino does that thing he does where he takes a historical event and then completely fictionalizes it and does it so over the top it's a fantasy. And there's a line in that book I'm referen seeing where it's Dennis Hopper and he's talking about people telling stories in Hollywood from the late sixties, in the early seventies and He's like, man, we were all on so many drugs. If anybody tells you they remember what really happened, relying yeah, And so it's it's that kind of that that thing where it's like he takes it so over the top, there's nothing in there to make you think any.
Speaker 1: Of it's real. Dennis Hopper most known for his role in He's Your Writers? Umm, oh no, who's yours? Speed?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was in that speed Yeah. Forty three Old Boy two thousand and five movie.
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 5: It's a movie by Park Chan Wook. John Taturo voted for it. I saw that on recently and didn't watch it. I like watched a couple of minutes of I'm like, that's not.
Speaker 3: Going to do it for me.
Speaker 1: He says it's romantic, it's disgusting, it's fun, but so go watch it if you want to. Forty two The Master twenty twelve pt. Andersen.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I have a very complex relationship with movie to be because I knew he made the movie or wanted a movie to be because I knew knew he made the movie around l Ron Hubbard scientology, dianetics, and I'd read a lot about that and pt Anderson's one of my favorite directors, and so I was so excited to see what he was going to do with it, and he didn't take it there. He instead made it about the manipulative relationship between like a theologian and a guy that was down on his luck. So again he turned into something else. It's very very long and very very methodical, and so when I saw it, I was disappointed, and it was long.
Speaker 1: I was like, ah, that movie sucked.
Speaker 5: But now and then when I stumbled upon it on cable and I watched twenty minutes of it at a time, I'm like, Okay.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is really good. But man, it is it's laborious. Forty one is Omaily from two thousand and one. We'll pick it up in the next hour at forty Have y'all seen that?
Speaker 5: No, No, I don't think I ever saw it. It's honestly and truly one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. It's so it is an amazing performance. Visually, you've never seen anything like it. It's French, but it doesn't bother you at all. If you don't like subtitles, you'll never think about them. It's a love story and it is unlike any movie you've ever seen.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. Is it a better love story than Roadhouse? Oh god?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you now, I'll give you the credibility to watch that. Okay.
Speaker 5: Coming up next, we're gonna crank up the wayback machine. This is coming up in just over three minutes, so don't go anywhere. Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one. The Eagle coming up here in about fifteen minutes. We will get into all things Cooper Flag, the Mavericks' fortunes have changed. We'll discuss it.
Speaker 1: We have audio.
Speaker 5: We'll get into Flag Day from yesterday. That's coming up next. But right now it's time for this.
Speaker 1: It's time to go into the schedule wayback. It's just tremendous radio production right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so good.
Speaker 1: On this day and Benskin Show history. We go back to the summer of sometime in the teens. And the reason I know this is that we were at Cowboys Training Camp, ah and we used to go every year Talksnard, California for Cowboys Training Camp and do a show on the tennis courts and you know, interview players and Jones family members and it would have been now we would have gone this early. It's sort of been very early when those times where they sent us on the first week, I think, because how the closest camp is it about to start? It's usually last week, you know why, there's no way Yeah, no, last week in July. Maybe this is one from a month from now. Then that's fine. It's still the way back machine. I don't care. We're going way back. Yeah, we're still going way back, just not way way back. Now back are we going? We're going way back. Okay, we're going like eleven months back. Yeah. Yeah, we're going seventy years and eleven months ago on this day. Uh with my hard drives head damn. But we were having a food at this place that's on a dock by a marina, and there's all these boats where people live or stay for days at a time before they're off on their next venture. House boats. And we met this guy who was in the military, and he invited us. He was a veteran. He invited us on his boat. We hung out there for a while. It was interesting to see what life would be like.
Speaker 5: Did we meet him at a restaurant first, or walking on the dock. We saw him and started a conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we might have started conversation knowing us who probably had a couple of drinks and started just talking to strangers. And but he he noticed our He noticed our he noticed our enthusiasm from what we had stumbled upon. I'm gonna play audio of that first. Okay, because on that dock were a bunch of seals or sea lions, and they were in a group, and they appeared to be having fun with each other.
Speaker 5: Okay, there apparently there's a seal orgy going on. If he that one seal is about to fall, he's building momentum. He said, oh, look right behind that white Yeah, oh my.
Speaker 1: God, they're doing it now. That secks, oh man, pretty violent. That's where the phrase seal the deal came from. I thought they would be, uh passionate lover. I've got a new suggestion, guys. The phrase rubber meets the road. I would like for that phrase to be replaced with when the condom leaves.
Speaker 10: The package, get a new dance off. Dance off, push me in the water, Push me in the water, Come on, seal.
Speaker 1: Because he was Here's why it happened. Because they pushed the one in the water and we were walking down that little the dock area yea, and the guy was like, he's measuring you, guys, He's he's gonna try to pull you in. He was trying to freak us out because the seals, they would swim by you as you're walking by. Yeah, and they did. It did feel like they had the power and ability to maybe knock you off into the water. But you don't ever hear about seal attacks now or them eating humans.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's a great point because I totally bought everything the guy said, and I was like, yeah, these seals are staking us. And now that you bring that up, wouldn't that be a thing that we would know about. There'd be attacks all the time, wouldn't there be signs, hey, man, seals attacking be careful on this pier.
Speaker 1: Seal attacks on humans are rare, according to a high and in it just for a guy to just be living in his friend's boat, it is strange. But he was clearly a guy who was in a bit of a nomad h at least I thought. And it was interesting. He had know his microwave and he had a little TV in there and California is weird books, and you still have his number? I do call him the answers. I thought about it, but then I call him right now. I remember that. Yeah, but call him just see, let's see the answers. What if he says, oh my god, it's the guys from Dallas Radio. As soon as he had family in the in the in the metroplex too, and he was telling us about why didn't he live with them? Why did we get on the boat though the guy could have killed us, He really could have killed us.
Speaker 5: He had some of that California assessing me, and hey, you guys want to get on this boat and smoke seems safe to us.
Speaker 1: Went on on this corporate trip, sure.
Speaker 5: We should have like wait, we went and had Canadian Thanksgiving dinner with a whole group oft craziest one was this the trip where we were with a bunch of coworkers and everyone was miserable and hating life and wondering what to do. And then someone told us that we would just sit it, sit there and take it. We'll sit there and take it. You're not going to do anything about it. It was how long after that were we at the equal Three months it's about three month situation there.
Speaker 1: That was also the same trip though, where we had been demoted two days, but no one had told us that we just.
Speaker 5: And because that happened, there was one guy at the station that wanted to form an alliance because he was unhappy with his situation. And we didn't want to form that alliance where everybody's sitting at dinner bitching.
Speaker 1: And so we were talking about, well, we're going to do this, this and this, and one host was like, no, you're not gonna do anything. Yeah, you guys, are you talking drag?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I didn't love that the morning show knew that we were getting moved attend too before we did.
Speaker 3: Like that.
Speaker 1: Kind of questionable. I also didn't like that there was a used condom on the step Star hotel room. Yeah, that's why we spent so much time with the drifter at the peak. I also didn't like the Luca trade, you know.
Speaker 5: And that's why skins uh phrase never caught on because the condom left the package.
Speaker 1: But we don't know what happened. We were just sitting by some steps outside the rubber met the road.
Speaker 3: The road.
Speaker 1: All right, there you have it.
Speaker 5: There's the way back machine. Thank you for listening to that. Coming up next, So let's go around the sports d of.
Speaker 1: W now.
Speaker 2: Around the sports KTD twins as all the sports.
Speaker 1: Did you guys watched the Draft last night? I missed it. That was pretty interesting stuff. When we got Cooper Flag, that was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I remember that dude, and the more I learned about him, the more excited I am about the impact he's going to have on the Mavericks, but just getting to know his personality and vibe a little bit through a few more interviews, he seems like a robot, which is awesome.
Speaker 1: I don't want the big personality guy, that's great.
Speaker 5: I want the guy who's a cold blooded killer, constantly working on his game, looking at game tape or whatever. I don't want the guy he's not active on social media, his family's very involved in his life.
Speaker 1: He's not going to be a great interview. That's fine. I don't need him to be that.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to be a cold blooded killer on the court. You know who else is not going to be a good interview an eighteen year old? Yes, Like that's the thing that I was thinking about a lot yesterdays, Like this person is so young. You know, the reason he is in this draft is because he reclassified because he was so much better than everyone else his age. He could go be the number one pick a great up and so he reclassified. So not only is his personality more you know, suited towards you know, just being all about the sport and letting everything else kind of fall into place or whatever, he's still a very very young person. Yeah, and you know, I think a lot of times fame kind of makes people look at you differently and make you think they're older than they are, you know, part of Dirk. It took forever for Dirk to be a good interview. Well, one, he was a little introverted to he was nineteen when he came here. Three spoke English as a second language, like same with Luca. I bet Luca will one day be a better interview than he is now. I don't think he'll be a lot better, but he's still speaking English as a third or fourth language, right, And Dirk's interviews became a lot more interesting when you realized he was one of the greatest players on earth, you know what I mean. That helped too, And so you know, his Cooper Flags interviews will get better over time. And if you were to interview you know, my child who's seventeen, I don't know that he'd make any eye contact. He'd stare at the ground and he'd mumble so much you thought he was, you know, not even making true real sentences.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: And also think about just being aware enough to know, oh, the whole world's watching me, right, Yeah, yeah, I mean I love the Ted Emerck story he told where you know, just that you know, he got to see him up close and watch him play a bunch and he's like, he is a killer. Yeah, He's an absolute killer. And asking if the McDonald's game was going to be fun or just like an all star game in the NBA, he's like, oh no, it's going to be a game. Yeah, like that type of alpha mentality, but it's not loud look at me on the alpha.
Speaker 1: It's just I'm gonna do alpha things.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to bring this up on the broadcast just because I didn't want to bring up Lucas stuff, right, like, it doesn't help with the moving on process. And I thought like, there I saw Devin Harris quote. Devin Harris was in New York and he referenced something he said not to take anything away from seventy seven, so he didn't say his name, but he also wanted to reference, Hey, just because I'm saying great things about Cooper Flagg doesn't mean I'm disparaging, you know, a guy that I played with that I think is incredible. But one of the things that was interesting was we had Mark Aguire on last night and Guire was talking about you know, oh, yeah, this guy's the real deal, you know, and he was, you know, effusive with his praise, and so I was like, when you, guys, you know, Mark Aguire is one of the greatest players of his generation.
Speaker 1: He was a number one pick.
Speaker 5: When you guys watched these younger guys, how long does it take you to figure out, Oh, this person has it, he's like you within the course of watching him once, you know. And it reminded me of the first time I saw Luca play in person with Harp, and it was against that Yao Ming's Chinese team that came here for a pre for a preseason game, remember that the Shanghai Sharks, I believe, and Harp was watching him warm up and he was just like, that guy is special, Like we hadn't the Luca mythology hadn't started yet. Okay, it was again, this is his very first preseason game in a Maverick uniform, so we're not sitting here going this is a generational player. Like, man, I think this guy can be really really great. I don't know if he's athletic enough. Blah blah blah, and Harp is sitting there going, nah, that guy's it, like he knew, you know, we just we we throw around the phrase game recognized game and that's the way Nick van Exel was talking about him. That's the way Mark was like all those guys that are truly it and have been. Like when we had Nick van Exel on last night. He was only a Maverick for like a season and a half and the impact he had in that amount of time, Oh my god, it's awesome. He talked about the Sacramento series and he talked about they got punked in Game one and after the game they were interviewing him and he was like, I respect my opponent, but fam and it became a big thing, and he said the next day at practice he called out Finley, Nash and Dirk and was like, why are y'all acting like they're better than us, and then they went out there and tanned their hides and then in game three, Van Exell had I mean, I was at that game. That's the loudest building I've ever been in, and Van Xell dropped forty on the road.
Speaker 1: I mean, just awesome.
Speaker 5: Sorry, speaking of loud and being in a stadium, there were some fire Nico chants last night, and there has been some Nico quotes that are making them.
Speaker 1: So let's take a listen to that. Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 5: That's coming up in just over three minutes right here and around the Sports on the Eagle, we'll be getting back to our New York Times Best Movies of the twenty first century at the bottom of the hour. Here we have the Today Game, which is never podcast, so you have to listen to it live. Don't miss it at four forty five. But Twisted Root Burger Company is the sponsor of this segment. We love Twisted Root Burger Company. Earlier we were talking about the Bear being back, but you can do the whole build your own burger thing, like Ben, build your own burger?
Speaker 2: What do you got?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 5: I want one of those giant half pound patties, Yes, Chef, I want some. I'm gonna go with a little goat cheese today, Yes, Chef, I'm gonna go in a little bacon. Yes, Chef, we throw some strawberry jam on that hole. Yes, Jef, you know what I'm saying. Levelo avocado. Oh, chef, Yes, it's a little mayo. It's incredible. You can do all these things you were going to have to. I'm not gonna but that's okay. You build your burger, I'll build mine. And then they also have you know, their normal burgers on the menu, like the Tree hug or D's Nuts, Low Rider, the Turk Luckling. I mean, they got a lot of good burgers with pickles.
Speaker 1: Hey, man, God, never interrupt the guy when he's doing a live read. Where were you skin? I don't know, man.
Speaker 5: Anyways, Twisted Rutberger company, you can get a ten percent discount. Hey, let's give him a discount. Oh, Ben and skin and skin discount. Yeah I mentioned Ben and skin and whatever you do. Don't mention that pickle moment that KT just had. Hey, KT, do you have any audio over there? I do.
Speaker 1: Niko Harrison did meet with the press last night. Uh, pretty light after the draft, him and draft edded a ten o'clock round two tonight. Marricks did not jump back in or do anything crazy there eighty tonight, we'll see. He talked for about fifteen minutes, but all the highlight worthy quotes I think have been compiled by the Dallas Morning News into one one minute clip.
Speaker 3: So here it is all my all.
Speaker 11: My draft prep up to that point was you know, us being in the eleventh position. So that's just but you know, things happened. Fortune favors the bold, so exciting, exciting things fell our way.
Speaker 1: Should we stop it?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 1: We should stop it. I made the internet go crazy.
Speaker 3: I do like that.
Speaker 1: Uh what did what did you do? That was bold? You just had ping pong bowls?
Speaker 3: Do you?
Speaker 5: I think he's doing something very clever and very meta, because remember that's the that's the SoundBite that Matt Damon has in those commercials to join that crypto company that got shued that him and Tom Brady.
Speaker 1: Remember those commercials. Didn't he say Fortune that? I didn't know that was that? Okay, I don't have the connection there. I don't know, man. It's almost like he's saying, yeah, man, I traded Luca. That was a bold thing. Fortune favors of bold, bro, you know the that's what I think. That's what I think.
Speaker 5: That's what he's saying. The other thing about it too, and it was I think it was Ricardi that said this. The mad cosmically got reward for not tanking. That's true, that's true. I don't know that that was bold. I would have tanked two years ago.
Speaker 1: They were rewarded for I don't know.
Speaker 3: You're right.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's almost like you were about to lose the biggest game of your life and you hurled a full court shot that switched and you won the game, you know, and it's.
Speaker 1: Like, see, yeah, get out of my face. That's what we do, that's what we did. I was like, no, you got lucky, No, dude, they did it.
Speaker 5: The likelihood of them getting the number one pick was a higher percentage than that Josh Giddy shot that beat the Lakers. Put the Mavericks in a position to be in a better position than the Bulls and actually get the number one big He had a full time PR staff man. They need like ten people. All right, let's keep this going here.
Speaker 1: I think it's two things.
Speaker 11: I think it's win now, it's also win in the future, and we don't know when eventually it's going to be Cooper's team. We don't know when that when that transition will happened. So I think it's when now and then set yourself up to win in the future as well.
Speaker 1: Poljice, I like the problem of that. That's very accurate.
Speaker 5: This is what I've been big on day one since we got the pick, because there's a lot of people that are smart basketball people that I've liked. Their opinions are like, no, no, no, you trade Anthony Davis and get these picks. And I would just like to remind everybody the Oklahoma City Thunder had Russell Westbrook, James Hard and Kevin Durant never got a chip. And this is my thought on this situation the Spurs are in. There's a lot of people like, no, no, no, they need to change their timeline, like you never know what is going to happen in your league in three years. If you have a chance to go get Jalen Brown and put him with wym Bin Yama and de Aaron Fox, and you're talking about some timeline that may or may not happen, you are fiddle farting around the Mavericks got incredibly lucky, and so they have a chance with the way this works out, to try to win a title over the next two or three years, and if they don't, still be a team that can be in contention. And because of the age of the next group of players, which is PJ. Washington Junior, which is Cooper Flag, which is Derek Lively, which is Daniel Gafford, Like, don't I don't agree in this? You know, we talked about this with John Daniels all the time. I have a three time year timeline, a five year timeline, and a ten year timeline. That's the way I think you do professional sports personally. My I don't have a problem with any of that. My biggest issue with all of this is I don't believe in Anthony Davis's health.
Speaker 1: That's fair.
Speaker 5: I just don't think he's going to stay healthy, and so if you could still get something.
Speaker 1: For him, I would be open to that, but I know you can't.
Speaker 5: You painted yourself into a corner with his trade, and everybody's kind of on board with Nico and j Kidd and Kyrie and Ad.
Speaker 1: So it is what it is at this point.
Speaker 5: But I do love the fact that if this doesn't work now, you're still set for the future because of Cooper.
Speaker 1: Fleas agreed a little bit more here, Jay can and I have this joke go forward. Here.
Speaker 11: He's a basketball player. He can handle the ball, he can show he can make plays for people. He's a good passer, he's gonna be on the floor. And the big thing is who can he defend? And he's a great defender. So I think, you know, positionally, I think you're going to see us play a different style of basketball with him and PJ on the wings.
Speaker 1: This is what I've been hammering since the day they got him. What does he mean by that?
Speaker 5: Which he means Cooper? No, no, no, Since the lottery. Oh, I've been saying this, and I know you guys heard me say this. I'm playing him at two yeah, and I'm playing him on the floor with PJ.
Speaker 1: Washington Junior. I want everybody to remember. PJ.
Speaker 5: Washington Junior is who we close games with covering Shay right. Yeah, And that's what he's saying right there.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: I know that there's a counter argument to be made that I think is fair that look, you don't have enough shooting in shot creation and I would say without Kyrie, that's fair. Once you have Kyrie, I completely disagree. I think you have the exact same amount as shot creation as the Oklahoma City Thunder and shooting as the Oklahoma City Thunder.
Speaker 1: Right, you got a lot of depth.
Speaker 5: You got a lot of depth. And the thing is is that you are playing to your strength. If you play PJ. Washington Junior and Cooper Flag together at the three and the two, who's going to score on that team? Who's gonna out rebound that team? Yes, you have to make shots, and a lot of this will come down to how quickly does Cooper Flagg's offensive game acclimate to the NBA and what is Kyrie irving like when he gets back.
Speaker 1: But man, I'm totally on board with this vision of what the Mavericks can be. Yep, all right, there you have it. There's a round the sports coming up. Next.
Speaker 5: Back to the movie news, the best movie since the year two thousand, don't miss it.
Speaker 1: We're having that conversation next.
Speaker 6: To the.
Speaker 3: Sticky the giant tile, the moon fields.
Speaker 1: They don't all have sticky floors, I'll have you know. New York Times Top one hundred movies in the twenty first century. We continue, and we're doing a lot of this today because we got a little behind yesterday and tomorrow they dropped the top twenty on our laps. Number forty is a movie called yea Ye, Yeah, yee yee y I y I. Edward Yang is your director. We've probably never heard of it, so we'll move on. I've never heard of it. Number thirty nine Lady Bird Greta Gerwick. It's good. I haven't seen it. It's good, it's it's funny.
Speaker 5: Do you know what a song that's a major through line of that to a movie, I'd have to I've only seen it once and it's not ringing a bell.
Speaker 1: The legendary and classic hard rock song Crash into Me by Dave Matthews Band. Oh, I don't remember a very important song in that movie. On number thirty eight, twenty nineteen brought us a movie called Portrait of a Lady on Fire And I think this is where a lady's dress just caught on fire and the aftermath of that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that sounds agit.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe it's a little more serious than that. Thirty seven Call Me by Your Name twenty seventeen movie Molly Ringwald had this on her bracket.
Speaker 11: Just so you know.
Speaker 1: Armie Hammer's in this. Timothy Albime as a little boy is his breakout role? Or is Lord Michael's once called him? He's coastally famous Middle America. I really know what Timothy shallow May is. This is I think a gay love story. If I remember correct, Oh, you would know, yep, shallow Man. Thirty six A serious man.
Speaker 5: This is.
Speaker 1: Cohen Brothers is two thousand and nine. Never saw it, never saw it. Richard Kind was in this movie. Apparently this is kind of funny. Most of their movies are yeah, okay, so yeah. Paton Oswalt was a this is on his bracket or his ballot? All right. Thirty five is a twenty ten movie called a Prophet. Never saw it.
Speaker 7: I don't think there's like three movies on this list.
Speaker 1: So far that I've seen it, and I'm tracking on these. How many of these I've seen? And I've seen twelve so far. Let me ask you, do you have a tally? Oh?
Speaker 5: You don't know what the final I'm curious drop it tomorrow. I'm curious which filmmakers are represented the most. It's gonna be Cohen Brothers or pt Anderson.
Speaker 1: Thirty four is the movie Wally. Oh yeah, it's great. That's a great movie. Love that movie.
Speaker 5: It had didn't have that guy that you play Fortnite. He didn't need to do the voiceover on it. Mickswagon did the vo work on that. Thirty three is a movie called a Separation. And yes, it is a hilarious comedy. It's Noah bombback right, No, no, asgarfar Hatty. I don't know who that is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a damning it's a damning look at the Iranian legal system. Oh so maybe we should all watch it? Yeah? Yeah, Number thirty two Bridesmaids.
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, it's good, really good. Okay, so let's ask the question. Is it better than super Bad an Anchorman?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: No, and I like that's a great point a lot. It's not. Why would it be so high on this list? You know what I think it is?
Speaker 5: I think probably sometimes when you have okay, like it's a standard style comedy. It's very much like The Hangover or whatever. But it's an all female cast, the female gaze. Yeah no, that's different, isn't it. This is directed by the guy that helped start think.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's great, all right, that's a good movie. I've definitely seen it. I'll add that and thirty one that departed. Great movies, great movie. Okay, So what's his what's his name of the guy who was in Goodwill hunting? Matt Damon? Yeah, Matt Damon. I've seen Matt Damon.
Speaker 5: Talk about some of his scenes with Jack Nicholson and have you seen this, Yeah, where he's like, you know, Jack's like, you know, I'm a writer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I wouldn't have made it in this business if I wouldn't a writer.
Speaker 5: What if we took this scene the way it is and just did this instead, and then we could also do this, and we could do this, and what if we did this and they just would shoot all of it? Whatever his ideas were, and dude, he was just creating on the spot. It sounds incredible. It's awesome. He did get his start as a rider, do you know what? I think the first movie he wrote was The Monkeys movie head in nineteen.
Speaker 1: Six eight type. I think before he was acting. All Right, there you have it. There's movie news.
Speaker 5: We will get back to this list though at five point thirty. This segment right here is brought to you by Andrews American Pizza Kitchen. If you're wondering who makes the best pizza in Dallas Fort Worth, Well readers of the Dallas Morny News say it's Andrew's American Pizza Kitchen. It's located in Plano Preston and Plano Parkway. They've mastered five different types of pizza. They've got an amazing local craft beer selection. They've got fantastic pots, pasta and salads and TV's in there. It's a great place to watch sports. But their pizza is legendary. Find out why people say it's the best in all of DFW. It's worth going. There's only one location and it's in Plano Preston and Plano Parkway. So get out there to Andrew's American Pizza Kitchen. But coming up right now, it's time for.
Speaker 3: This what's going on in Dallas for work?
Speaker 1: There wasn't new pullout that says that the Dallas is the number four team best city according new I don't know. I didn't really dive into deepos on board with it. Cooper flags here though, that's good? Hey what else? Yeah, I'm wondering what's next?
Speaker 5: Like what is next for the Mavericks for their roster construction, and Mark Stein seems to think that it's D'Angelo Russell. And you know, the Mavericks needs somebody to hold down the point guard position while Kyrie is healing, assuming Kai will miss the first half the season roughly, and then Kyle will be back at some point, and they need somebody who can hold it down for kay while he's out and then when ky returns can just kind of settle back into being a rotational player.
Speaker 1: There's been some good names thrown out there.
Speaker 5: I'm not super high on D'Angelo Russell, but it appears to be that that's the direction of the MAVs are looking if what Stein's information is correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 5: I'll put it to you like this. I'm not saying Kid is anti D'Angelo Russell. I don't know that at all. Can you would you mind looking up KT what all years? I don't think he spent any time on that Laker team that won in the Bubble, But I can't remember. Now we'll find out real quick man, because I would have been on that same staff with you know, Jared Dudley was a player. Anthony Davis was a player. He did play with ad I know, yeah, right, he was a Laker. I just don't think it was the championship, the two to twenty three. Yeah, okay, so it was after the championship here, so Kid would not have been with him. But I do know that Jason Kidd loves Malcolm Brogden because he had him in Milwaukee, and I think he can now Malcolm Brogden is not the scorer and shot creator that D'Angelo Russell is. D'Angelo Russell is also a subpar defensive player. Like he's a bad defensive player. That's not h That's my opinion from just watching him. I've never looked at any defensive metrics, but I just know, like when we've called games and we're playing him, I'm like, target that guy.
Speaker 1: Isolate him. Let's just or a bunch.
Speaker 5: So but it could be that the Mavericks feels so good about their back line defensively that and they do need scoring, and of the names that are being tossed around, he's far and away the best score in terms of he's got Like I've seen him get on heaters and just run you for a quarter. So he can do that, and they may look at their roster you know what he is. He's a much better Jaden Hardy's what he is style of player. He has a much better Jaden Hardy. And so if that's like when you look out there and go because the idea is you're gonna hold it down until Kyrie gets that. Didn't what he's roll last year. Basically, Yeah, yeah, these names that are out there, none of them are doing it for me. But for five point seven or whatever. Yeah, but I would like to see them put together a trade. Go get go get somebody that we're not even talking about, and a more substantial piece. And obviously I know you can't. You don't have a bunch of money to do that. You can't acquire some guy with you huge contract or whatever. But put together Caleb Martin package, put in Jaden Hardy, you know what, throwing a sweetener, whatever you got to do.
Speaker 1: But I don't just want to settle.
Speaker 5: I think this could be really really special, and so I think they should, you know, because there's times where the offense really struggled and it was a complete disaster. You had guys signing ten day contracts in starting games. It felt like, you know, it was so nuts last year, but it did seem like there's times where the offense would bog when Kai was gone. Do you know their best healthy ball handling scorer is right now probably handling just yeah, just a guy that can handle the ball. It's probably Brandon Williams.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Is he going to be back or uh yeah, Okay, he's under contract. I saw Kai Jones is probably going to come back. Oh I didn't see that. Go life, let's go yeah?
Speaker 8: Kay?
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't they You know, maybe they look at the scoring being such a big deal that that's why they like D'Angelo Russell.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I've thought about that too, and it's like, hey, man, it fills a need that we have until Kyrie gets back, I'm not worried about I'm not worried about shot creation.
Speaker 1: Once Kyrie gets back, I'd love to have more.
Speaker 5: I think by and I think I don't want to heap too much on Cooper Flag right now, but I think by next year, you're not going to be talking about shot creation because he's going to be such a such an amazing hub He's not going to be a traditional run the offense guy. But dude, Duke was running their offense through him. They took the ball away from their guards and gave it to Cooper Flag. Now it's college, but I'm saying that's where he's.
Speaker 1: Going to be.
Speaker 5: Will he be anything like the Greek freak offensively, No, I think he's more like a Kaoi or Lebron type offense.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah, you know in terms of like that hype. So well, yeah, that type.
Speaker 5: Now, that's probably not fair to say Lebron because Lebron's one of the greatest, some of the greatest court vision of all times, so that may probably not fair for me to say that. But the way that he handles the ball, the ability to floor it and then off the dribble right, so.
Speaker 1: If he's doubled, he can find the open guy.
Speaker 5: That's why I made those lamar Odom comparisons, Like I was always really comfortable with offense running through lamar Odom, but I didn't think he was a point guard. But he's going to be that. It's just he's not going to be that in his rookie year. He still has to learn the NBA game and NBA spacing and all that. But they're not going to have that problem long term. We're talking about for a shorter period of time. And that's why maybe it is Dangel Russell. I did not watch him play enough last year to really say no, it needs to be this guy. But I feel like Malcolm Brogden, the Malcolm Brogden that I know is the best fit. I just don't know if that's the same Malcolm Brogden, because dude, I was not watching Wizards games all right. Coming up next in just over three minutes, man, there is bad news for the liver King. It is not looking good. Who could have seen this coming?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 5: Man, we are flying through this top one hundred list of movies in the twenty first century according to New York Times. Tomorrow they dropped the final twenty. We'll break all that down for you. We still need to get ten more. We're going to do it at the bottom of the hour. We also have a surprise audio bubble bath funny audio KT guarantees laughs.
Speaker 1: Is he right? That'll be in our big finish. But right now it's time for this. And now it's time for Basis week Day Out Day, featuring veteran news anchor KT fun tweets hero the important stories he's currently tracking from around the world. Years ago, Ben told us about a guy named the Liver King. He's a social media fitness influencer. His whole thing was like, I eat testicles, and I eat animal organs and animal liver, and if you get on my diet, you will be ripped.
Speaker 5: We should clarify that it was animal testicles. Yeah, yeah, and it's you know think. I mean, he's a huge looking bodybuilder. He looks like a bold, reided up Viking from back in the day, and he sits there to throne and has the most lavish meals and it's just gross, Like he'll pick up a raw liver and just start taking bites out of it. So of course it's right in my wheelhouse. Yeah, and he turns into a big social media star.
Speaker 1: Well back in twenty twenty three, Joe Rogan Joe Rogan, I guess, you know, he's interested in a lot of things, but you know, once he did the UFC thing, he got interested in you know, health and fitness as well. And he did a podcast that was kind of calling out the Liver King and you know, saying that he is all roided up and basically making fun of his you know, his his routine, his diet and all that stuff.
Speaker 5: That sounds like compelling content a couple of years ago, right, Yeah, and it turned out it was true. He and then he liver King had to apologize to everyone. He was like, yes, he was taking like thirty grand of steroids per mile. He was buying so much steroids and dude, he was creating supplements and selling them and getting rich because people were.
Speaker 1: Like, I want to look like that guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if I take these vitamins, I'll look like that Alex Jo sells supplements.
Speaker 1: Well, The liver King for your Bunker. Austin Police Department arrested Brian the liver King Johnson.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: He was at a CDC after learning that he was traveling to Austin, where Joe Rogan lives. And I'm going to play you at clip from a video that The liver King posted on Monday or Tuesday. What's Thursday?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm there Tuesday, and you're not going to hear at the beginning. At the beginning, he calls out Joe Rogan by name, and he is shirtless, got his gross. His body's so gross, but he never wears a shirt. Does say no, but it's like fake muscles. But he's kind of got a belly, a huge audi of a belly button, and he's holding two gold guns and they're kind of big, cartoony guns. It looks like guns that like Jim Carrey would have had in the mask. Okay, uh, didn't hold on.
Speaker 5: I want to go back in time when when you first brought the Liver King to us, wasn't there a liver queen and a liver prince and princess he's got he's got a wife and two kids. It's and he incorporates them into the videos from time to time, and the wife and kids in the video with the guns headed to go. He appears to be a solo act at this point, but I could be wrong, dude, She's I've been watching all this unfold and uh, I don't know why the algorithm insists on showing it to me. But he'll do some things where he'll get out there with the largest gun you've ever seen and just go shoot it.
Speaker 1: And it's a part of I hate raw meat shoot big guns.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the video again. He's holding two guns and the first thing you won't hear anybody calls out Joe Rogan. My name before this, my name is man to.
Speaker 8: Man, I'm picking a fight with you. Yeah, I'm still trading. If you just you your black belt, you suld just man, tell me I'm picking a fight with you.
Speaker 3: Your rule. Whenever you want me to wait, I wait, I wait, one night, this morning, I'll wait.
Speaker 8: I'll pumped to you whenever you're ready, whenever you're ready to.
Speaker 1: Go holding two guns and saying that. That's when Rogan's like, okay, we probably.
Speaker 5: Need to alert the police walking impersonation and again, you know it would never make light of a mental health problem, but that's what this is. Like we've watched him unravel, like at least we knew he was doing a bit and here's my fake thing and look at you know that that was his strategy. This is a guy like when you watch Britney spears on social media like concerned, you stop being entertained and you stop being concerned. His videos have taken that tone where you're like, man, he needs help. This is incredibly sad and it's just spun off the rails here in the last month.
Speaker 1: Who chose the music for the video?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 1: So he got freed after being I mean they arrest him for like terroristic threat type stuff. But he was freed, but then he started ranting online again, and then he was complaining about the condition of his four seasons hotel that he was in, which that immediately.
Speaker 5: It's all I can think about. My two leaders, Bear Grills and the liver King.
Speaker 1: He's also does he have like liver dogs too, because he's got two huge dogs dogs? Of course. I mean, he was this guy. He wants to be a viking so bad. I think he's just depressed that he can't go back in time and be a viking. It's so terrible. So we'll keep following. I guess Ben, this is your homework assignment, really not mine.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think it's probably over. He's drugged out, Like it's very clear.
Speaker 5: It's sad, man, it's not even entertaining anymore to watch. I just like he needs to just go get some help, and he needs to super tire from social media. He's set for life, just retired, but doing this bit, you know, all the press conference in retire sad sad, such a sad thing. Rest in peace, liver King. All right, coming up next, let's get back to that movie list. The best movie since the year two thousand will continue that next. Let's get back to this movie list. Where are we on it right now?
Speaker 1: Carey thirty here New York Times Top one hundred Best Movies of the twenty first century. So really January first, two thousand, Top twenty will drop tomorrow, so we'll discuss that on the show tomorrow. I can tell you from personally as I've been tracking, as I've gone through, I've seen fifteen of the seventy movies on.
Speaker 5: The list so far, so I haven't been tracking. But of the seventy, I bet I've seen thirty five. Okay, I feel like I've seen five.
Speaker 1: Yep, same number thirty Lost in Translation two thousand and three. I Fia Coppola.
Speaker 5: I love this movie so much, Bill Murray, and when it comes back on I watch it every time and I love it even more.
Speaker 1: It's a great, great movie.
Speaker 5: Scarlett Johansson too, yep, yeah cool, Yeah, And she's kind of playing Sophia Coppola and Giovanni Ribisi is kind of playing Spike Jones.
Speaker 1: Oh, you would have loved him on Friends. Yeah, he was good. He was Phoebe's little brother Number twenty. He wants so much Friends all the time. He really watches it every night.
Speaker 5: They think they can stump me with Friends Trivia Ben, and then I'm more than Marcel the Monkey. We know not to go to Ben with Friends Trivia after the whole art tra I never watched the show, never did anything for me, So Jennifer Ansen did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's always nipping. Yeah ouh. Number twenty nine Arrival. I have seen that one.
Speaker 5: It's great, Okay, Is that the one with Jodie Foster. No Amy Adams, Oh, Amy Adams.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that is a pretty damn good movie. The Giant spaceship comes down, it hovers, It's awesome. Yeah, that's really good. It's the same director as Dune and Blade Runner twenty forty nine, with the same Dennis Phila Reale or Dennis Villanuevy Bill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and her kid in that movie's death. So it's right movie about communication, yes, but it's interesting about how I do think it's a realistic look at what an alien invasion might look like, and all the nations have to get on board and communicate with each other as well on how they're going to handle it. As the pods are just hovering.
Speaker 5: Do you remember the movie I think it was called District forty nine. It was like the one where it's half insect half yeah that thing. Yeah, and so the problem with that movie is I'm sinner watching going so wait, so only South Africa is dealing with the alien invasion.
Speaker 1: The rest of the world is just sitting this one out. Now there go, that was gross. It was supposed to be a thing about apartheid. But whatever. Number twenty eighth The Dark Night CORECT Now you're talking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very good movie, Okay, But of those three movies, all Christopher Nolan Batman movies, it was Batman begins the Dark Knight, and then is the Dark Night the one with the Joker? Yes, yeah, that one is the best of the three. Yeah, but it seems odd that they would put this one. I love them all, but yeah, I think that sha generally regarded as the best of the three. I'm not as high as the first or the third one, but the second one.
Speaker 1: Legit twenty seven adaptation, It's great, It's again. It's uh.
Speaker 5: Spike Jones directed it. Nicholas Cage basically plays two different characters that are brothers, and then it's Charlie Kaufman wrote it with this fake twin brother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty six Anatomy of a Fall. This I just remember it being nominated for a Bunch of Crap in twenty twenty three. I never saw it. I never saw it either.
Speaker 11: Who's in it?
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's a household name. I could give you on that. We know what it's about. I could read it the boring paragraph. I really want to hear it, but let's just keep it going. Yeah, number twenty five a pt Anderson movie called Phantom Thread. I did not see this. Did you see this one? Never heard of it. Twenty seventeen. Daniel da Lesis plays a guy with the name of Reynolds Woodcock. It's a in it, prickly fella. He's a designer, isn't it is a designer?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I never saw that one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean him and Daniel day Lewis are let there be blood, So I would assume that's probably gonna end up in the top twenty.
Speaker 1: The Return of Her, I mean the return of Spike Jones. It's her number. Twenty four's pretty good. I like it, but I don't know that I have it as my no. He falls in love with Walkin Vin's falls in love with Scarlett Jhanson's voice, right, yeah, Peter, he's so alone. I will tell you that this was on the ballot for Buster Bluth. Tony Hale. I think that probably, Joe. I think going.
Speaker 5: I think it's one of those movies that is going to age incredibly well because of AI and what our AI existential crisis right now.
Speaker 1: Boy, yeah, I can see that. Twenty three Boyhood.
Speaker 5: It's an incredible achievement in movie making history. To make a movie over the course of twelve years with the same cast is pretty astonishing.
Speaker 1: It's long, right, yeah, you know, have you seen it? I never saw it, but I remember you saw it and talked about it a lot, you know, ten years ago or whenever this came out, was.
Speaker 5: Came out, and it's Richard link It's a Richard Link letter movie. Ethan Hawk is in it, who he worked with on before Sunset. They got the same cast and they decided to film make a movie about growing up, being a boy growing up, and so they filmed it over several year period as the actual boy grows up over that time period.
Speaker 1: So I think it's from the age of six to eight. It's in Texas, right, yeah, Houston Astros game. Yeah, it's one of those movies.
Speaker 5: As you're watching it, you're just got so blown away by the idea of how did they pull this off?
Speaker 1: How did they do it? Yeah?
Speaker 5: The Grand Budapest Hotel, Miss Anderson, is that the only Wes Anderson movie on this list so far?
Speaker 1: I don't remember twenty fourteen. I was on Pamela Anderson's ballot. Didn't tell you that much. Ralph finds in it. We're good. I went and saw the Phoenician scheme over the week he did it.
Speaker 5: So I have this new thought about Wes Anderson, and I feel the same way about him as I do like certain action movies where I'm no longer I'm like not connected to anything in the movie, Like I enjoy it, but I don't really have any kind of connection to it because it's so Wes Anderson and it like, it looks great and the character is a great Michael Sarah is amazing in it, but you don't really feel bonded with it in any way like you did other like Boyhood.
Speaker 1: Where you're like, oh, yeah, twenty one is the Royal ten and mooms Wes Anderson. Okay, back to back. Wes's top twenty drops tomorrow. We will go through it on the show. I would imagine unless you know what, we just pulled the crazy ivan and said, now screw it.
Speaker 5: We're not going to do it all right, I don't think that'll happen. Then, coming up next, it's an audio bubble bath. We're just three minutes away from this. Kat is guaranteeing a surprise. We don't know what the surprise is either. That's next and this segment right here is brought to you by Rollertown Beer Works. We love different places that carry roller Town, Like we know where we've been talking about this. We're gonna have our five year anniversary next week up there in Solana. There's a lot of things going on July third, fourth, and fifth. We'll be telling you all about that. But I love places at carry Rollertown. Mentioned this yesterday. For example, Echo Music Hall and Lounge right over there off Stemmens. They have the big German. Now I'm going to be there tomorrow night drinking big German. Absolutely love that Ben. We're going to be making our way into more and more of the Pie Taps. That's one of our favorite restaurants in town. I know for sure they're getting it at the Design District location and then tomorrow afternoon from four to seven at the location over there Knox Henderson, they're going to be doing Rollertown samples out there. We talk about fortunate son and good friend that have carried us. Kanye Rosso has carried us Pluckers making our way to all the different Buffalo Wild Wings, any of these places, bars or restaurants that's supporting Rollertown and has our beer on tapper and cans.
Speaker 1: We love you making our.
Speaker 4: Hellow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, we're super stoked to be coming up on our five year anniversary. We're going to be celebrating at Roller tenn and Salina all weekend next weekend and yeah it's going to be Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and just celebrating five years. So if you've been waiting for the right time to come join us at Roller ten and Solana, hey, maybe next weekend, maybe this weekend, but maybe next weekend, we'll we'll be there for sure, we'll be spending a lot of time there.
Speaker 1: We'd love to meet you and thank you for supporting us, But right now it's time for this. Sometimes I'm going through my hard drive because I have crap on it that I need to find for wayback machine or just you never know, like sometimes I just happen to be browsing through it and I stumbled upon something that was from years back. Our buddy Roy White was doing a spec spot. For those who don't know, a spec spot is basically when you have a potential client on board, but they want to know what does it sound like? What would it sound like? Natan can give you copy points and things like that, And our buddy Roy White came into the studio. I think he has been at a Ranger game that day. He was in the morning show at the time.
Speaker 3: YEP.
Speaker 1: Goes into the side studio and recorded a specs button. Now, I'll explain this in a second the way it's going, but I want you to hear this first and you'll you'll understand we're going in a certain direction. Here, Roy into a studio providing copy points for some chicken company.
Speaker 6: You get the handbreaded, buttermilk marinated homemade chicken tenders that you ohso love, one hundred percent premium chicken tender.
Speaker 1: Ones that are all included in every order.
Speaker 6: Nine locations around the DFW metro Blacks and I'm telling you, if you have the opportunity to try one of those sauce, just try one of them. I promise you you'll never go anywhere else for your chicken tender needs handbreaded, buttermilk maarinated. They let it sit in over twenty four hours off the brunch, so you know that it's gonna be juicy a ted or when you get to bite into it. Find one of their nine locations around DFW. Tell them, Hey, I want to miss chicken in town. I'm gonna get it.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, it's beautiful, I'm gonna get it. I can't tell you how many times I say I'm won't get it all the time. I want the best chicken down all the stuff says if going to the hard drive, whatever happened. I found a couple of files that were labeled BNS spec spot. But you're like, okay, so what is that? And I find so much crap from the past, and our voices have changed so much over the years too, so I don't even know what year this is from. Uh, but you guys were doing a spec spot for a company called Taekwon Dons. Just take a listen and see what this.
Speaker 5: Is Hey, it's been and Skin here for Taekwon Dons opening in North Dallas on North Central Expressway. Skin and I have been talking about doing taekwondo for nearly thirty years, and now thanks to Taekwon Don, we can now bow to our sense.
Speaker 1: Right off seventy five.
Speaker 5: And Jupiter and if you use the promo code Eagle, you'll receive a free head band autographed by Taekwondan's ex wife. That's right, man, Taekwondan Show has finally got his yellow.
Speaker 1: Belt and is ready to be in business. At the age of eighty nine.
Speaker 5: Taekwon Don can teach you classic taekwon do techniques that will be sure to make the lady swoon despite being in a wheelchair. His years of experience will give you edge in things like home invasions, bar fights, and when my son threatens to kick my ass. It's Taekwon Don in his new dojo at seventy five and Jupiter.
Speaker 1: Don't be senseless and defenseless.
Speaker 5: Go to Taekway opening on North Central Expressway.
Speaker 11: Hi.
Speaker 3: Yeah, his ex wife olds half the business.
Speaker 1: Oh god, Oh my god, I'm scared. That is Johnice, Taekwon Don's I didn't know. I'm scared you. You guys have been talking about doing taekwondo for thirty years. It is obviously the Eagle because of the promo code. Sometime in the last five years, you guys finally decided to do taekwondoll takwon. I've never been so scared in my life. That sounds like us. Yeah, well it was. Let's go too. When you guys were working through apparently put a lot of your own money into a website called set it Okay, similar to Reddit. I guess.
Speaker 5: I am Jeff skin Wade from the Ben and Skin Show here with my friend Ben, and we wanted to tell you about the new website called set it, a site that Ben and I are invested in play with our balls. Skin and I have been friends since nineteen eighty two, but we've also been friends with many other people over the years as well, people who claim to have said something even though you're not sure if they really said it or not. For example, I was playing Fortnite with Jason Big Steve and a cop from Prosper the other night and I get a joke and then the cop said, that's what I said.
Speaker 1: Now is said it? A website that skinned there invested in play with our balls.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: You can log into the website and claim the things you have said before, so nobody questions if you've said it or not. All you have to do is log in, type in the phrase that you said, and it's all yours. Before long, everyone will know that you were the one who said it, said it, You said it. Now we believe you suck loser because I said it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I love the premise.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 1: I wish I could get over how weird it out. I am to enjoy the humor more. The humor is amazing.
Speaker 5: That that sounds like me with a slight just that like I'm just barely on the spectrum.
Speaker 1: Say just like you to me. But I mean, I don't know. It's uh well it's can't let you guys have put your own money into that down.
Speaker 5: To disclaim that too. I thought it was a good investment because it rhymed with Reddit. Yeah yeah, yeah, it's spelled you know, said it just like redd it is. Oh my god, you said it and now.
Speaker 1: We believe you. Yeah, that's a great slogan. Uh all right, let's see. Uh, this is one that's a little interesting little edge because we've turned down some endorsement opportunities of this time. Only fans reached out long ago, and we're like, oh no, don't makes sense. I don't think we're gonna be doing stuff on onions and hindsight, I regret doing I too rich, right, but this is uh. I'll just play the play the spec spot. Hey, it's Ben and Skin here for Boner Toner.
Speaker 5: Now that Skin and I are at the age where men commonly get a rectel dysfunction, we have decided to raise our game and let our glory shine simple.
Speaker 1: When you're bricked up all the time like us, there's more to see.
Speaker 5: And that's why you need Bonertner where you can give your little dude a beautiful hue.
Speaker 1: Don't have a dull dong all your life. Let it shine with boner Toner.
Speaker 5: That's right, Ben, With just one spray, you'll have the shiniest this side of the Mississippi. You just spray one shot of Boner Toner on your dong, wipe it down like a bowling ball, and then let the good times roll. Plus order in the next ten minutes, and you'll get a free extra pack of Wiener wipes and a five dollars Chipotle gift card, a bersimplection for your erection.
Speaker 3: You can't strin say, shiney'll didn't.
Speaker 1: So incredible?
Speaker 3: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Interesting?
Speaker 3: Is that all of them? Yeah?
Speaker 1: That's all. Hey, I Ben is gonna be way better than me.
Speaker 5: I'm lik him better than I'm already pitching the show with him to a network. All right, I'll never forget the time that uh Kat looked Taekwon Dong right in the eye and.
Speaker 1: He said, I think people who know how to code think they can do some stuff. That's right. That is some good advice that he just gave Riley.
Speaker 5: All right, Uh Christina, why don't you stick around play some tunes right here on the eagle here you're going very well.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm gonna get some cheeks after this horse power joint