Speaker 1: Seven o five if you're a fifty five kirc DE talk station. Bryan Thomas wishing everyone a very happy Friday Eve. Secretary State Frank Leroo is coming up a one hour follow by. I heard media aviation expert Jay Ratliff every Thursday at eight thirty. In the meantime, I am honored, blessed to have in studio Sarah Herringer and apologies right out of the gate, Sarah, I have been saying herring juror since your story broke June fourth, when she lost her husband to a horrific murder in their apartment and over the Rhine. No need to dwell on the details on that, Sarah. I know you're still recovering from the aftermath of that. But Sarah Herringer, it is great heaving you in citity to talk about some of the problems that I mean, you obviously experienced the worst and most horrific of problems in what happened on June four. But as we were talking before the segment started, the idea of crime in over the rhyme, You've had plenty of experience with it. This isn't something new.
Speaker 2: It's not something new, It's been something that's been building and cumulating for quite some time. And at this point we are seeing the fruits of the labor of the city leadership really being harvested or coming to its fullness right now. This is not something where all of a sudden in the summer of twenty twenty five, wow we have crime issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well, you know, earlier in the program just to think before the top of the our news break and I had mentioned to see that I brought it up. We didn't just wake up in the city one day and say and find out, oh my god, we're one hundred and fifty or more officers short. This is a problem that's been building for a long long time.
Speaker 2: A really long time to my understanding, even back to two thousand and eight where they're recession so hiing freeze. But those are things that you're able to project and see coming, and any type of business a private corporation would not just stand by and just be like, oh, oh well, or not have to change their strategy in order to recruit to.
Speaker 3: Compensate for that deficit. This is not something I.
Speaker 2: Mean, there's been a really long runway to be able to predict and see where there's going to be a lack of police force, and there just hasn't been any action or necessary action, the right kind of action to fix it.
Speaker 1: Well, and any prudent, logical, and reasonable person, when you put politics aside, the most important component to a successful city is safety.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: In order to in order to encourage anybody to live in the city, in order to courage any business to invest in the city, you're going to have to have at least a perception of a very safe city. So failure of prioritization is where I always come down on this. So you're short on resources, you know, you got budget cuts, you got to tighten the belt. The last place you should be talking about tightening the belt and not refilling depleting ranks is the police department of all places.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And as of late, I mean AFTAB has talked about how there's money for it. You know, we're we're not currently in a situation where there's not money for public safety. The money is being given elsewhere, it's not it's not actually being allotted to what it's it should be. And I mean safety is a is a basic human need.
Speaker 3: It is like it's.
Speaker 2: We're not we're not asking for you know, the whole Maslow's hierarchy. We're not asking for self actualization here, we're asking for safety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it's easy to observe we are. We live in sort of de evolutionary times. I mean, yeah, people fly off the handle, they do obnoxious, insane things. And as evidence by the viral nature of what happened been on Saturday morning, that a horde of people out of nowhere would just start congregating and beating the living hell out of someone who clearly had lost whatever fight led out to it. It's so appalling, That's that's why so many people click on it, I.
Speaker 2: Think, Yes, yeah, I mean, and even if there had been a fight between two grown men, the mob response to it, and then the woman who was beat just by it and by just standing there and checking like that, those are You're just like, what has happened?
Speaker 3: Why are we? Why are people acting like this? Why?
Speaker 2: Why is this behavior even something that no one thinks twice about?
Speaker 3: Well, no hesitation.
Speaker 1: Clearly the folks involved in him thought nothing about it. And again that maybe is the reflection of a broader societal problem. But amid this seemingly broader societal breakdown, if you want to call it the evolution or problem we're facing with just lack of morals, ethic, logic and reason. That's at the time when you need the police, that's when you need more of it. You need a bigger police presence, you need apparently by all reports, three o'clock in the morning Saturday, when this is out three total officers available.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's and they are very short staffs within those hours. Same thing with the hours at the It happened with us as well. Uh, and how is that safe for the police? How is that safe for them? It's a good question, you know, like it think.
Speaker 1: About the safety of the police, you think about the safety of the community.
Speaker 2: But no, and they're they're human beings. It's like what, Yeah, if there is something like that going on, and it tends to I mean even we've seen with juveniles it being like more of a mob type thing. If you are are one officer and backup is minutes away or not or air, yeah, not there at all, what are you going to do? It's unfair for them.
Speaker 1: It really is. And you know, I had no really put myself in the position of a police officer having to deal with a mob of thirty or forty people like, you're right, what is the protocol for management of that? Because you're just as likely to be subject of the beatdown or maybe even bigger violence as the person that you're there showing up on the scene and reporting to the call for exactly. Oh my, well, how long leading up to June fourth, how long had you lived in over the right?
Speaker 2: We've been in Cincinnati for ten years, and eight of those ten we've lived in OTR.
Speaker 1: And you decide you invested in the community.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Your late husband's business was right there by fimily market as I understand it.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, We've had a business downtown for ten years as well, invested in it, lived in the community. We didn't want to be one of those people who was like, oh, we have a business downtown.
Speaker 1: But moving off to the suburbs of eaving when you go.
Speaker 3: Home, Exactly.
Speaker 2: We wanted to invest in the community that we lived in because I think that's far more powerful for for people to do that.
Speaker 3: That's what community is.
Speaker 1: Well, I get a sense you embraced the idea of doing that. I mean, you obviously have a love and passion for the city. Yeah, absolutely, But actually, you know to to choose to invest your dollars there. You thought that was obviously a worthy endeavor. Did at some point of leading up to June fourth, did you come to a conclusion that, well, maybe you might have made the wrong decision in that regard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there have been a few times where it, I mean, the city is not safe.
Speaker 3: Like that, that is very apparent.
Speaker 2: And there had been times over the years where, uh, you know, this is not the first interaction with crime. Unfortunately, obviously not ones with such great consequences.
Speaker 3: There have been times where.
Speaker 2: We're like, you know what if maybe we had opened our business out in the suburbs, you know, there wouldn't be these headaches.
Speaker 3: There wouldn't be.
Speaker 2: But I the thing that we that I've always loved about Cincinnati is Cincinnatians love Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Yeah they do.
Speaker 2: And downtown is a great place for local businesses. You don't see it's the city is so unique and the fact that you don't see it riddled with chains and overrun by corporate You have these local businesses and this local spirit and this local heart of the reason why this city has made a turnaround. Yes, they're you know, we can contribute model properties and three CDC with you know, developers as far as that goes, but they've given it back to the people and they've allowed for them to come in and have you know, that entrepreneurial spirit and everyone downtown they want to support local business. They don't want to go to chains. And that's the reason why we chose downtown is because it's like starting a business. There's a lot of risk to it, and you can see it's very evident in the heart of everyone downtown that they want it to thrive. And the local business owners are the reason why Cincinnati got to where it's at. And unfortunately, the leaders that we have elected to protect our investment and protect the community are also going to be the ones where it ultimately comes down to us saying we've got to leave. We can't just keep investing in something that you don't protect and you don't honor the way that we've chosen to What can we do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that goes I've searched for an explanation. I have Christopher Smith, and a former vice mayor, on the program every week, and one of his mantras his repetitions over and over again is his unhappiness with if I can phrase it that way, admit the city leadership for their failure to out loud and regularly support the idea of the police working with the police, telling the police the population the police are not they're not bad people. They're in fact a wonderful organization that really is there to help you, and so we need to work with them. Let's establish relationships. The silence from the administration has been deafening along those lines until, like I'm surprised it didn't pop up right after June fourth, but in the aftermath of what happened on Saturday, now you're seeing even folks like Aftab Purval talk about crime being the most important thing we need to address and deal with.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Where have statements like that been prior to Saturday.
Speaker 2: Well, they've you know, they don't want to admit to failure. And I understand that that's political suicide and as well, but you can't fix a problem unless you admit it's there.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, and I'll say this out loud, We'll bring it and we come back. Do you think maybe part of the reason for their silence and their fair to outloud support police and failure to be forward thinking and keeping the numbers of officers and ranks at a reasonable level might be because of the left wing wing of the Democrat Party that demands that we defund and rethink the police department. So let's pause. We'll bring Sarah Herringerr back and with further discussion. She is in studio for the full hour, and I can't thank her enough for stopping in and addressing these issues so important to every resident of the city of Cincinnati. At seven sixteen, right now, we'll be right back on Colway.
Speaker 5: This is fifty five KRC and iHeartRadio station, our iheartment.
Speaker 1: There is your Channel nine first Warning weather forecast. Sorry, Sarah and I were engaged in conversation. I should have spoke earlier, but here you go. We got midday storms they say are very likely. Humidity will drop throughout the day, leaving us a humid free day tomorrow. Today's high eighty three, sixty five overnight rain moving out. Got a mostly sunny date tomorrow with a high of eighty nice overnight lowell of sixty one with clear guys, and Saturday is going to be partly sunny and also eighty degrees seventy four degrees. Right now, it's time for a traffic update, Chuck.
Speaker 5: From the UCUP Traffic Center. You see Healthway Laws Center offering sergeic going medical obesity baron expertise called five one three, nine three, nine two two sixty three. That's nine three nine twenty two sixty three highway traffic. That's a slow go around downtown right now thanks to closures.
Speaker 1: I believe the Vice president is on the road.
Speaker 5: Westbound two seventy five is closed in for seventy one, So are all the rams from Newport to two seventy five on southbound fourth seventy one. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KERRA Seedy Talk Station, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Seven nineteen seven, twenty fifty five KRCD Talk Station Brian Thomas with Sarah Herringerleido Patrick Herringer, who was tragically murdered on the fourth of June this year in their apartment over the Rhine. And we're not going to dwell on that, but it's the predicate for her being on the program this morning, but also the predicate for her I would say, wonderful activism. You have been an outspoken critic of the problems we're talking about here in the city of Cincinnati since that happened, and it's terrible that that had to lead to this. But I think you're doing a great job of elevating to everyone else's attention some of the big failures we have. I saw your post the other day about the judicial system, and we're talking about that before the program began, and that's one of the big failures the judicial system. We have these you know, for one of a better term, you can call them what you want, I'm going to say liberal judges. I think they've been convinced that the criminal justice system is somehow unfair and that for whatever reason, bonds are a bad thing and we shouldn't have cash bonds, and that meeting out justice for people who have actually been convicted or have you know, plead guilty or pled guilty rather to any given crime, aren't given enough time. It's almost like a handslap, don't do it again, and lo and behold, there they are back in court again, are involved with the police again. So that's one that I think that's the biggest problem that we face. By way of challenge. If we all got on board and we all said, yes, we need more police, We're going to do more lateral hires, We're going to refill the ranks. We're going to start better patrolling. We'll come up with all the solutions for the police department to do whatever's within their power to do. If there's nobody on the tail end providing the justice that's necessary, the deterrence effect that's part of the justice system, then it's a pointless gesture. And I know you have talked to officers and U and I told you before. My sister's a retired police officer. She still has a lot of friends and they stay in touch. And I've talked to other people and we had a judge on yesterday, Betsy Sunderman also the same conclusion that morale is in the toilet and police don't have any incentive to actually do their job and enforce the law.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, you do, you see, you know not. And the information that I posted is that's just scratching surface. That that is, you know, some cases that we were able to get a hold of and show.
Speaker 3: But it's just showing a trend.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a single data point, but it's showing a trend of what the judicial system is is doing and they how they are interpreting the law and really taking matters into their own hands instead of It's like, if you're going to do that, then where is the critical thinking. You're not supposed to write like it's supposed to be interpretation of the law. But you're just letting these people out over and over and over again. And the truth is is there are very few people who are doing most of the crimes. It's not that you know that, and that is why you're seeing them over and over and over again. And there is there is no deterrence for them. And that is clear in Cincinnati. They criminals are making fools of them. They are not afraid of the cops, they are not afraid of judges. They are are killing. There's a murder every single night.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also the crime that is happening, all of those can easily escalate to murder. So even when the chief of police is saying, well we only have five percent of crime as murder, it doesn't matter. All of the other crimes that are happening can very easily turn into that. And there is no fear happening like this. You know what happened to Patrick. We were not out on the streets. We were sleeping in our home. Yeah, and he entered our home expecting right, yes, like not worried about it at all. Yes, quite honestly. And when you have when you have a certain population that none of us can think the way they think, there's there, you know, that's the whole thing. We even when you're talking about people who want to be lenient on criminals, we don't.
Speaker 3: Have the mind of them.
Speaker 1: That's a good point.
Speaker 2: We we like that. That is not we. We would never do something.
Speaker 1: Right in the right mind, would kick a door in in the middle of the night, knowing full well that someone was occupying that dwelling, you know, And if that were to happen in my house, I'm heavily armed. I'm a proponent of the Second Amendment, and I exercise my right. I'm a concealed carry holder. I have strategically placed firearms in my home. I'm prepared for that situation.
Speaker 3: So you see, see it does and it's it is you know.
Speaker 1: It's it speaks volumes and being woken up at four o'clock in the morning from from exactly yes, Sarah, I'm glad you made that point out, lawd it's time for a break. We're going to continue this discussion because I want you in my listeners about some of the other crime that you personally and your late husband experience leading up to June fourth, because I think some of my listeners will be quite surprised about what I believe you described as feral gangs of children. This is really disturbing thing stuff, folks. It's seven twenty five right now, we'll be right back with Sarah Herringer. Don't go away fifty five KRC dot com.
Speaker 4: Here's what's trending now.
Speaker 1: Jopers, Shannon and I have first one to weather forecast. Got a midday storms they say are very likely, so expect some rain today and expect the humidity to drop throughout the day, which is a welcome relief. Eighty three for the high, overnight low sixty five clear. Sky's got a sunny, beautiful day tomorrow with the high of eighty and no humidity sixty one the overnight low clear. And on Saturday, another partly sunny day, another high of eighty seventy four degrees. Right now, let's get a traffic.
Speaker 5: Update from the UCF Traffic Center. You see healthwave Ball center offer sergic and medical abcdcaren expertise called five one three nine three nine June two sixty three. That's nine three nine two two six three sap pound seventy five slows out of Lockland North found seventy five out of Erlinger into the cut in westbound two seventy five, getting better from Kellogg through to four seventy one after being shut down earlier. Chuck Ingram on fifty five krc the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven nine here fifty five KRCD talk station, try to have a happy Thursday slash Friday Eve. It's about the subject matter we're dealing with here, and it is a tragedy that gave rise to my conversation this morning here with Sarah Herringer in studio lost her husband to murder in their own home four o'clock in the morning, which is obviously an illustration of at least one of the many problems we have in the city Cincinnati with crime. And you know this can be a learned behavior. Sarah, you were telling me about some of the crime that you and your late husband experienced leading up to the fourth because you've been in that area for about seven years plus or minus. He had your business started there, so you had a lot of interactions with you know, folks in the community, good and bad. Let my listeners know about some of the what you described, And I thought it was a great way you phrased it, these feral gangs of children that you had encountered regularly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, every every summer we're we're like, oh, yep, school's out, there's uh here they come and you see packs of children and I mean they're they're anywhere from eight sometimes younger, sometimes all the way down to five years old, but around eight to thirteen, fourteen, and you'll see them seven, eight, nine of them, and there's there's one teenager you know, that's in charge of all of them, and there's not a parent in sight anywhere. And it's not talking about like, oh it's you know, nine o'clock, still in the lights out in Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Just our summers here are amazing.
Speaker 2: It's eleven twelve, one o'clock in the morning, and they're running them up and there's zero supervision, parenting consideration for their safety either. And that is a pretty standard practice in the neighborhood that I've lived in for the last seven plus years.
Speaker 1: Well, and I've talked to psychiatrists, psychologists, law enforcement officers, people who work with human services and trying to provide a better path in a better way. I mean, it is my nineteenth year and radio I've had more discussions I even can remember about that, and without fail, almost one hundred percent, everyone will point the blame at the criminal problem, the crime problem at the hands of the loss of the nuclear family, the fact that these children don't live in a loving environment, even just if it's one parent. And I think I mean that right there, what you said, that they're somewhere where this child ultimately goes and calls home, that there's not a person there fretting and worrying over the fact that they're eighty nine Your old child isn't home by midnight even, Oh yeah, absolutely on any given night. I don't care if it's a Saturday or Tuesday. No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lack of secure attachment for them. And that's where it starts. And that's why even you know, thinking that prison is going to reform people, it's like prison does not reform anyone. And you have to start back at that age, back at that point. That starting point is really where it begins is with children.
Speaker 1: Yeah, punishment is a deterrence.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, there has to be consequences and there really are none. And when you have a brain that doesn't already you know, it's not formed, fully formed, it doesn't really understand consequences to begin with, and you allow their behavior to continually have none, what are you teaching them?
Speaker 1: Well? And you can make a parallel to the education system that way as well. If you're going to go ahead and pass a child along to the next grade when they don't have the skill sets necessary to master the material in the grade they're in to learn anything, but they will learn that regardless of how little effort they put into the project, they're going to get moved forward.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you had experienced with I think you referred to him as a junior arsonist.
Speaker 2: Yes, we I mean again, unfortunately, the crime that we've encountered that personally downtown hasn't been limited to this instance. We had boxes in the back of our pickup truck and they were set on fire, and initially we were like, maybe it's the smoldering heat, and we pulled our cameras and there were three neighborhood kids who set them on fire and when the fire and Marshall, who did an exceptional job finding them, catching them right away.
Speaker 3: It was not their first offense.
Speaker 2: The one, the kid who had actually set fire to the boxes, that was his third arson charge. And in between the time of him being caught and booked for arson of our truck and showing up for his first day of court, he had also been tagged with a agglevated burglary attempt.
Speaker 3: And so the.
Speaker 2: This is a juvenile and you know, even if we want to talk about the juvenile court system, I mean that the whole idea behind that right was rehabilitate first, punished second. But that started back when kids were shoplifting, not when they were doing the type of crime that they are committing.
Speaker 1: Now, and including gun crime.
Speaker 2: Yes, yep, exactly, murder, theft, assault, rape. These are very different crimes that kids are committing these days, and again not the type that you're you know, a child that has secure attachment and their needs met and parents not the same outcomes right clearly, and you know, get the getting the child, getting the kid to even show up. We did press charges because we're like, listen, you set our truck on fire, and this was not the first time you did this. This was not a oh, I'm gonna see what happens, and yeah, this is this is something that you're intentionally doing.
Speaker 3: They knew to cover their faces.
Speaker 2: They were like the whole thing was I'm like, oh, they're well versed in this and and clearly I thought nobody had held them accountable before. And then you start going through the court process and you see that they don't show up. It ended up being far more of a of a pain for us getting subpoena, for Patrick getting subpoena all the time, and he's like, no, I don't want to charge the parents' money. I want this kid to stop being a menace to society. And there's nothing in the system to hold them accountable. So we ended up just being like, just you know, leave it, like it's I can't keep being subpoenaed and stop everything that I'm doing. It was had been well more than a year and we're still dealing with this. And the other thing was in the summer of twenty three and this this was a really big issue. We're in the market district, family market area, and our business was broken into multiple times, now multiple businesses, over nine businesses in that market area had been broken into. There is a bar that ended up having to go out of business because they were broken into so many times.
Speaker 3: At some point you're like, you can't.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be unensurable, you can't keep firing or filing. And we you know, the business owners we had congregated, we were we were meeting with city council, trying to get help, trying to get help. I ended up having to go to the media then as well in order to get any type of response from the city. And then they put a beat cop down there during the day so people coming in would feel safe, and it's like, that is not when criminals are doing crime. So again it's already then we see optics and not doing the work to protect the business owners of that area. And the truth is there was no policing done. We had, on our instance, they sent over a cop she had a tiny little notepad. Uh, you were broken into, no fingerprints, We had cameras, they did not ask for footage at all. There was nothing as far as looking for the actual person. And then there was one one guy who was arrested, the one who actually did the break in. One night, we had seven people break in at once because the one guy broke in and multiple people came in Patrick had to go, my husband had to go and find that person and have choice works because he kept trying to break in during business hours. Even there's no the criminals do not fear police, they do not fear repercussions. And so Patrick and that's you know, he handled it in a way. He's a pretty intimidating looking guy. And you know, the other guy didn't come back, but he even went to the police and was like, I can show you where he is. And the one that they they did end up arresting, who truly was mentally ill and really didn't do a lot of harm. I actually got a letter last week. It was addressed to Patrick saying, hey, this guy didn't show up for his court dates, so we've warrant to you know, we've worn out for his arrest and if you need anything, called the victim's advocate. And it's it's like it's just a it's a clown show the whole thing. You're like, there isn't going to be justice with the current system that's happening. There's no follow through. And yeah, I think you know there is even down to a point which we talked about earlier, and apathy that is coming that is so clear from the police department at this point, because they're humans, and how many times can you just see the same criminal release before you're like, what am I doing?
Speaker 1: We'll pause, We'll bring Sarah Hernker back for a couple more segments here in the fifty five KRC Morning Show. Enlightening and depressing it is, but it's wonderful information to get out there. Maybe they're elected officials out there listening who might decide to start working on some solution. And speaking of solutions, I'm going to talk to Sarah about some of the ones that they have put in place and whether she believes any of them are bearing any fruit along the positive lines directions seven thirty nine. Right now, if you have KRC, the talk station OKAUEH fifty five KRC, the talk station bather Time. Tan and I says, it's nice day to day, although we get midday storms. They say, very likely right through that because the humidity will drop throughout the day of going to eight. Are going up to eighty three today down to sixty five overnight midty gone. We're going a beautiful day tomorrow, eighty degrees with sunny skies, overnight low sixty one clear and a partly sunny Saturday with a high of eighty degrees seventy five. Right now, time for a traffic update. Chuck from the.
Speaker 5: UCL Traffic Center, UC Health Weight Will Center offers sergical and medical and b city carreen expertise called five one three ninety three nine two two sixty three. That's nine three nine twenty two sixty three North Bend seventy five. You can add an extra three to four minutes out of earl Linger into downtown South Pound seventy five Heavy gets passed the Reagan Highway on westbound two seventy five. No longer a delay between KEW Bogg and for seventy one. Chuck Ingram Month fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven forty two. Here fifty five KRC the talk station Brient Thomas with in studio Sarah Herringer, widow of Patrick Herringer, murdered in their home June fourth, and over the rhyme talking about problems in heroin in the system, and I think we've identified a lot of them. But what about the the so called reduced crime plans or whatever community activism is supposed to be going on, funded by government that's to address the problems that we're talking about today. Generally speaking, you had mentioned to me this Act Act Initiative initiative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there, it's on the city website. It has a lot of you know, really passionate, flowy language, you know, trauma informed. Sure, you know, yes, absolutely, and it's it's well intentioned and it sounds like something that would be beautiful for the community and that everyone would want. However, the problem that we're having, I mean, at this point, the numbers that I found is about five and a half million dollars has been dumped into this program of taxpayer money, right like, that's everything the government pays for is course our money, and there is zero line by line on where this money is being spent. We know it's going to nonprofits, we know it's going to consultants, but there's also no metrics for success attached to it. How will you know something is working? Where is the transparency on accountability all of this money that's being put into giving out sandwiches and hip hop classes, how is that deterring gun violence? And how can you prove that this money being spent is doing exactly what it says that it's going to be doing, and there just is zero follow through, metrics, accountability, transparency, and it extends far beyond just the Act initiative. There's really no published data betwind, spot Shotter, the Pivot program. There's multiple programs that they the police have told me this that they just keep renaming but they already know doesn't work. But they need to put money somewhere. And that is a big problem is they just keep funding and putting things and you know, paying people salaries.
Speaker 1: Right, it's like a ribbon cutting ceremony. Oh look what we brought, you cut the ribbon and then never talk about it again.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely no follow through. Do we know what we're doing is working and this is how we're going to measure it and if it's not, then we already have a plan B. Because yeah, sometimes you need some trial and error in order to get things to work, recognize, but you have to have the accountability and transparency. And I think that is the number one issue that we are seeing with our local government is there is zero of that. There is zero transparency, there's zero accountability, and they are not measuring or tracking and so you might even have well intended and good people, but they're not competent and enough to measure the outcomes of something because they don't exist and they think they're doing a great job and they're not. And the results as we've seen in Cincinnati speak for itself at the crime levels, I think it's pretty clear that we know that whatever their funding is not working.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, wait a second, all these metrics that we're looking for, how do you determine if it's working or not? You can't prove something. Of course, we prevented all types of crime, and these statistics would be through the roof, but for but they're still on the upswitch. Yes, we're not getting better than last year.
Speaker 2: We're getting worse, Yes, and significantly worse, especially in the downtown OTR area that is really skyrocketed in crime.
Speaker 1: And destroying what they the very thing that they were looking for when they redeveloped over the Rhine. Now, I'm old enough I worked in over the Rhine of Finley Market when I was in late high school in early college. That was before any money was in. Yeah, it was just really kind of comparatively a disaster visually, and but honestly, I really never feared. I wasn't afraid for my safety or anything. I worked some goofy hours. You didn't get there at five o'clock in the morning, and sometimes you were you know, you hit the bar afterwards. And yes, I was underage. They didn't really care back then, and maybe not get home until eleven o'clock. So I was there in different hours, but never I never was concerned. Parked on the street, walked by myself to my car. I wouldn't do that now to save my soul.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, And I can't speak to it then. However, Yeah, I can't say it enough, like downtown is not safe. And this is because of right the current leadership that we.
Speaker 1: Have, and I imagine it is probably having an impact on real estate values. There's wonderful condos that people spent six hundred thousand dollars for. You're not going to get that back now. Word's gotten out. So the project and the motive behind it to get young, money earning taxpayers to move into this urban, hipster, walkable community environment that they talked about all the time, it's going the opposite direction. Why because they embrace this sort of liberal philosophy when it comes to meeting out punishment in the criminal justice system. We'll have a few more minutes with Sarah Herringer. Take a quick break.
Speaker 4: Here be right back fifty five KRC. Here's your channel nine first one to one forecast. Put a smile on your face.
Speaker 1: Give me mostly Clyde Today we're going to get some midday storms which they say are very likely. But rejoice. It's going to just go up to eighty three degrees and the humidity is going to be leaving the area today, which is great. Overnight low sixty five, clear skies, sunny skies, Tomorrow eighty and no more humidity. Overnight low sixty one with clear skies and a partly sunny Saturday. And I have eighty seventy four degrees right now. Time for traffic from the UCL Traffic Center.
Speaker 5: UC Health Weight Loss Center offers surgical and medical OBCD care and expertise called five one three, nine three, nine two two six three. That's nine three, nine twenty two sixty three northbound seventy five break lights continue to build an extra five minutes between Donaldson and downtown. I've been seventy five getting heavier or coming out of the block when split everything clears by the time you get past the lateral chuck Ingram on fifty five k the talk station be during through.
Speaker 1: Seven fifty one fifty five krs the talk station closing out this hour long discussion with Sarah Herringer, the widow of Patrick Herringer, and we've been talking about the aftermath of the tragedy that happened to their home on June fourth, when someone broke into their home in the middle of the night, four o'clock in the morning and stabbed her late husband to death. And this has given her a platform to bring to everyone's attention, most notably those who might not be inclined to vote in an election. I will say I'll volunteer that, Sarah. I'm not going to put words in your mouth, but at least you know you're in a position because of this that people are paying attention to what you're saying. Right, You're a provider of valuable information and with the spotlight on you, people are like, oh my god. I did not know that was going on. I did not know that we had no accountability with these programs. I didn't realize the judicial system was this broke when we got judges releasing these repeat offenders over and over again. So I know my listening audience, and I certainly applaud your efforts in doing this because, in spite of the tragedy you have to deal with and continue to cope with, at least you have the limelight for a while. Do you think there is any possibility as we fast approached the November election, we have a complete Democrat council, and I don't think that necessarily means that they are against police or not. But we know over the past forty years what has happened within downtown Cincinnati. We know we're down on police numbers. We know they didn't get ahead of the police department numbers loss. We know that they in some cases maybe of allocated resources that should have gone to law enforcement or public safety in other directions. Do you think there's still hope for the city? I mean, would an administration change or a shake up and the membership of council or maybe the mayor. And I know it's an unlikely scenario that the city's going to start, you know, maybe turn to Corey Bowman, But do you think a seat change on council and leadership might help?
Speaker 2: I would have to say yes that a seat change would help. I also want to be critical of those who just think if we, you know, changed over the entire regime, then these problems would just go away overnight. It's still power that is being abused. And what's really important for people to understand and to learn how to navigate when we're intentionally not todd this. As Americans, you get a Civics class in ninth grade when you're too young and you don't care, and the rest of your time is spent on stem. You only learn about the political system if you choose to major as a political science major. But there needs to be a demand of transparency and accountability for whomever is in leadership, and the leadership now what they they could change? You know, if we go back to cancel culture even it's like, why don't you give people an opportunity to make changes and show us can they or will they? And if they won't then yeah, I think that's a pretty good argument for getting someone out and giving someone who is saying that they're in alignment with your values and want what you want a really good chance. And it is the truth, you may not get that entirely, and so I don't think we should put all of our eggs in one basket of We need a complete new regime, We need an entirely new leadership. We also need to learn how to use our voices to hold those accountable who are there.
Speaker 1: Well, it's difficult to hold them accountable. And here I am take a cheap shot at a have to have prowall when he leaves town after knowing full well there has been a terribly violent occurrence in the city and he decides to leave in the afternoon and go on vacation anyway, Yes, I said that out loud. I'm not putting words in Sarah Herringer's mouth, but I think it speaks volumes about a failed administration. Sarah. I I am a listening audience, and I pray for you, hope you know, for your swift recovery in the aftermath. It's very an emotional time for you. But again, I really truly applaud your efforts and trying to get people engaged and involved. And if you could ask something of my listening audience, I mean, what would you say, I mean, be more like me and bring this to people's attention, talk about it more. I mean, any advice or something you would ask of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I wouldn't tell them to be more like me.
Speaker 2: I would say, I would say, believe in yourself, empower yourself, for sure. But these are really important things and people. I do believe that most people are good people. They're doing the best that they can. And we all want safe you know, safe home, safe communities, a place for us to have a good life, for us to create beautiful things, for us to you know, reap the benefits of everything that we're working so hard for. And I think what I would would tell them is to stay fighting.
Speaker 1: Sarah Heringer, it's been a true pleasure having you in studio. I appreciate your time today and your efforts thus far, and I hope you continue. You got a good voice. You have obviously a lot of respect from a lot of people generally speaking for what you're doing in the courage you're showing, of course, amid the tragic circumstances that gave rise to all this what i'll call activism. Keep up the great work, Sarah, And if you ever need a voice, if you ever have something to pass along, if you get additional developments you want to spread farther and wider, you are more than welcome to just even place a phone call here to the fifty five cares More and Shore, or make the trip back in. I love having the studio.
Speaker 3: Yep, we'll come anytime.
Speaker 1: God bless you, Sarah, take care. Seven fifty seven, right after top of the our news, or and hear from Secretary of State Frank LeRose he just got back from a meeting with Donald Trump regarding election integrity. That plus I heard me the aviation expert Jay Ratliff, come on bottom the hour at eight thirty. Stick around us. Happens fast, stay up to date. At the top of the hour, not gonna be complicated. It's going to go very fast. Fifty five KRC the talk station. This report is