Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: What else is going on?
Speaker 3: So that means that he's judge likes that's been saying by the judge.
Speaker 4: He goes to prison, then he goes to a.
Speaker 1: Mental phase of the sentence. The sentencing phase starts. Yeah, right, okay, Well, what's happening? It doesn't get bigger than debate night in Philadelphia. Brittany Shepherd with ABC News joins us now from Philadelphia. This is the ABC News presidential debate between Donald Trump and Kamala Harris.
Speaker 2: Brittany, what's it like there in Philly.
Speaker 5: I'm right here in the spin room Rive and the excitement is just pulsing through my vains.
Speaker 6: Don't know if I've just been drinking coffee since six am.
Speaker 5: Or I'm just feeding off the energy.
Speaker 6: What It's tremendous.
Speaker 5: It's one of the biggest spin rooms I've ever seen, and I think you can really tell what the stakes are going to.
Speaker 6: Be for tonight, Like you guys are gonn me. Tremendous.
Speaker 5: This is the first time Donald Trump and Kamala Harris are actually even meeting face to face. You've seen every national polls. They're virtually tied, maybe one up one point in one and one up.
Speaker 6: One point in the other.
Speaker 5: But essentially this is a race that's down to the wire and then come and there's so much that riots for both of these candidates, and I think we're going to be seeing that all on display tonight in just ninety minutes of time, packing it all in.
Speaker 3: So you're in the spin room, which is where everybody goes after the debate to give us their spin on things. And I understand that jd Vance is actually was said to be there for Trump, and that it's possible that Governor Newsom, Gavin Newsom of California will be there on behalf of Harris.
Speaker 4: Do you have any more on those two, Well, totally.
Speaker 5: We definitely know that jd Vance will be here sometime after the debate wraps, maybe in the eleven PM Eastern hour, trying to make us pitch because like, what was it their guy, their lady won, right, And that's what you're going to be hearing for the next couple of days. And I think it'll be really interesting to see how jd Vance himself after all this scrutiny he's been getting after Donald Trump himself has said that maybe vice presidential picks doesn't matter really defines himself. This is a big deal for both parts of the ticket as well, especially Tim Walls will.
Speaker 6: Not be in the room.
Speaker 5: He has a scent on his own merits and figure out how he's going to fare with all of these reporters.
Speaker 6: Is probably going to be over a thousand reporters trying.
Speaker 5: To buy for his time.
Speaker 6: For folks who've ever seen the Spin room.
Speaker 5: Before, a bunch of reporters just kind of gaggle around these surrogates for both campaigns that credit make their pitch. And I'm sure if we see Gavin Newsom, he's gonna be making a similar pitch about Kamala Harris that you know, even though this is the first time that she's taken on Trump, that she was being able to prosecute the case.
Speaker 6: So I'm really curious.
Speaker 5: I'm sure we're both talking to us at ABC, but of course all these other local and national affiliates on you know, how they both pitch the performance, which we know debates can be really consequential, just as just as President Joe.
Speaker 1: Biden Brittany, What do we know about these moderators? It's their first time moderating a presidential debate or no, it is not.
Speaker 5: No, No, it's World News Tonight anchor David Mure and ABC News Live Prime anchor Lindsay Davis. They've done this before, where they've done primary debates. These are extremely heasyed reporters.
Speaker 6: Tool they've ABC and otherwise.
Speaker 5: Long story careered careers. You know, they've been prepping, you know, for weeks, if not months on end. Their entire careers have been leading up.
Speaker 6: To this moment. And we'll see how it all goes at nine.
Speaker 5: But they're totally prepared and ready to facilitate this conversation between Trump and Harris, which I.
Speaker 6: Neither e emphasize they've never met before.
Speaker 5: Donald Trump was not at the transfer of power in between administration, So we have no idea how they'll interact, right, what kind of what version of Trump are we going to see? And how will the moderators interact with that? How will Harris interact with that? There was a lot of umbrage about the microphones. I'm sure you guys heard a little bit about it, because their individual microphones will be muted when the other one is.
Speaker 3: Isn't it true that the that ABC is the worst net in terms of fairness, and that Kamala Harris's best friend is one of the heads of the network, and that they're going to get get the questions in advance to Harris and not Trump.
Speaker 5: That's certainly not true, at least from where I stand. You know, no questions are going to be shared in exvance. You have two of the most professional journalists I've ever met in my care career moderating this, and of course is that finely going to be candidates who want to put their spin right. They wanted temper expectations going into tonight so that day, if something happens that's not in their.
Speaker 6: Favor, they can say, well, these guys weren't for us.
Speaker 5: It happens at every level of Eliza with every sort of candidate.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: Tale is all as time.
Speaker 5: I'm sure we'll hear it for the next one and the next one after that.
Speaker 6: But I am really excited to see.
Speaker 5: What we're gonna We're going to found a great, great debate tonight, and I am so curious to hear how these two candidates pushed on their policy platforms and how they're going.
Speaker 6: To interact with each other. It is going to be really an exciting thing to witness.
Speaker 1: Brittany, My buddy Phil here was just being facetious about that.
Speaker 4: Ques.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know, I know, Okay, I just was sure that I'm just reading the Trump you know platform, the truth.
Speaker 1: Yes, Brittany Shepherd, ABC News, excellent coverage, Appreciate your time.
Speaker 6: Of course.
Speaker 1: Tropical Storm France scene expected to slam Louisiana's coast as a powerful hurricane storm system is anticipated to make landfall over Louisiana tomorrow. Areas of South Texas already seeing some flooding today as a storm gains strength. Well today, class was back in session in Georgia. The details about this family seemingly from hell continue to come out about this fourteen year old who opened fire at his high school. Four people killed, more injured. We're learning more about the parents and what the parents knew. Of course, the father has been charged and this is well for providing the weapon, even after the FBI. Local authorities had this kid on their radar. Derek Dennis from ABC News joins US Now with the latest.
Speaker 4: Derek, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 8: Such a sordid tale and a tragic one. And beyond the four people who were tragically killed, the two teachers and two students, we are learning a lot about the suspected shooter, fourteen year old Colt Gray, and we're learning it from his own mother. Marcy Gray gave an exclusive interview to ABC News where she talked about how you know you know her son sent a warning text basically saying I'm sorry mom the morning of the shooting, and she saw that immediately alarms went off, and so she called the school, she said, and alerted them to the urgent emergency and wanted them to go to her son right away. And then minutes later the shooting happened. And you know, she says she hasn't seen her son since the shooting, hasn't had a chance to talk to him, but she said if if she did, she would tell him that she loves him and that this is not his fault. Essentially, she's blaming the dad. They're estranged, the dad and the son were living together. She blamed the dad for allegedly supplying the gun was used in the shooting, but also just failing to take proper care of the sun. And she believes that that's what led up to.
Speaker 4: The shooting Phil Schumann.
Speaker 3: Here is a story also breaking today that before the mom even alerted the school, that the guidance counselors there had gotten an email from one of his teachers. And I believe this is only the second day of the school year, got an email from one of his teachers saying that he was talking about school shootings. So there were definitely warning signs there, or at least a day in.
Speaker 4: Advance, right.
Speaker 8: And there was a transfer apparently he was at one school last semester. This was the start of a new school year, so he just started at this school, Appalachi High School in winder Georgia. But there were classmates that were interviewed who were basically saying that he was a chronic, you know, absentee student that even at this start of the school year there was indications of aptis and teaism and so you know the warning signs, yes, but if the student's not in school as much, you know, that's a warning sign as well. But it's also makes it difficult for school officials to sort of get their hands on a student and see what's really going on here. So it seems that there were some points where things were missed.
Speaker 1: I read in one of these articles, Derek about that this kid was actually asking for mental health treatment for a long time.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and the mother sort of indicated that as well, that there was talk about getting him mental health treatment. But then it, you know, she seemed to indicate, you know, like all kids, they're doing fine one day and maybe not so fine another day. And so for whatever reason, that mental health treatment didn't happen, and even she admits that it probably needed to a long time ago.
Speaker 1: It's so awful when you have these stories of people who you know are having problems or even vocal about it, and the parents know it. And it sounds like from all intents that the father was kind of, at least according to the grandfather, that the father was kind of stoking the flames with.
Speaker 4: The verbally abusive, physically abusive.
Speaker 3: I mean, the mother had multiple arrests, so you know, if you want to give the kid a break, even though I'm not inclined to do that, he had two strikes against him.
Speaker 2: It seems like, yeah, you didn't have a chance.
Speaker 8: Yeah, right, And you know, the father, as you mentioned, is charged with involuntary manslaughter essentially prosecutors saying not only was their neglect, but that he you know, knowingly allowed his son to possess a weapon, you know, buying him the gun. And so that charge came pretty quickly. Whether the mother can face any charges or will be facing any charges, it hasn't happened yet, but it's one thing that I know investigators are looking at in a number of areas of sort of the breakdown here involving the shooter.
Speaker 3: Course again, it's all after the fact, right Hindsight's twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Derek Dennis, ABC News, Thank you so much for joining us. Appreciate your time. Sure all right, coming up next True Crime Tuesday. But I want to tell you this. The Santiago Peak has just been overrun by fire. All the communication towers they're critical for southern California. They're not all there anymore though. Some big communications lost with those towers. That is going to be a big deal. Just watching this thing, have like a time delay camera up there. I just watched the fire creep and creep and creep up and totally over ran Santiago Peak there in Orange County. We also have some new evacuation orders in place there Tribuco Canyon area. Mandatory orders have been issued for the areas along the Ortega Highway and Casper's Park as well. Evacuation warnings in place for Silverado Canyon and Majesica Canyon, so we'll stay on top of that as well. Kafin News, I know Steve Gregory's out there as well. We are in True Crime Tuesday, and it looks like the true crime news world is about to get even bigger.
Speaker 3: True Crime News, hosted by Anna Garcia, has launched in Los Angeles four thirty and six thirty on Fox eleven Plus, also known as KCP Channel thirteen. Anna Garcia, a longtime Los Angeles space journalist, is the host and apparently this has been so successful in the terms of the podcast world, Facebook and YouTube that is now on TV.
Speaker 8: Anna.
Speaker 4: How are you.
Speaker 7: Hey? Phil? How are you hi? Shannon? Hi?
Speaker 2: It's so good to hear your voice.
Speaker 1: You're taking two things near and dear to our hearts in Los Angeles, you and true crime right now, which has just exploded in popularity, and you've put them together for us.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, Well, thank you for that, Shannon. Yeah. You know, I've known Phil obviously for a really long time as street reporters in LA and you know, you cover crime every day. I think, Shannon, what has changed in our world as far as how we look at true crime is that we're doing these much longer, deeper stories. And I always say true crime is really it's all about relationships. It's it's like, you know, it's the love triangle that goes wrong. Of course it's going to go wrong. What are the chances of a love triangle ending well for anyone?
Speaker 6: Right, it's how.
Speaker 7: We deal with problems in our lives. You're going through a divorce, a custody battle, you have a secret that's about to be revealed, you need money. These are the motives for murder, but everyday people deal with these problems without killing each other.
Speaker 3: So what is you've studied the answer to this question? I presume what is the fascination that some many of us have with these stories.
Speaker 7: I think it's that you can relate on one level, only not to the crime, but to the situation. Right, We've dealt with divorce, We've dealt with loss, we've dealt with betrayal, and these are horrible and painful things, but we don't fix the problem or get revenge by murdering someone. And so when people view these cases, they've experienced something like this, but then something like I was crazy where someone two people madly in love, they get married, everything's fantastic, all of a sudden you want to kill him or her. And these are the cases that we're hearing about. I think that's the relatable part. We all have problems, we all have to deal with them. But most of us, ninety nine point nine percent of us, don't believe that murders the solution to our problems. Yet we see case after case after case where someone thinks, you know what, this is a good idea, and I'm going to get away with it. How insane is that? I know?
Speaker 1: And it's like people are walking amongst us that think that that's like the best option.
Speaker 2: It's just because it happens so much, it's it's odd.
Speaker 1: And so now you you sat down with John Ramsey, john Bennet's father.
Speaker 2: How did that go?
Speaker 7: It was so fascinating, Shannon, because I had never met John Ramsey. Obviously, we all remember the case, and for those of you who don't, a six year old John Benny Ran was found murdered in nineteen ninety six on Christmas Day. It was originally considered a kidnapping because the first thing the parents say they found was a ransom note, and then she was found murdered in the basement when they did another search of the house. So that case is thirty years old, and it really was constantly in the news, tabloids, everything you could possibly imagine, and every little detail was constantly coming out every day while it was being covered, you know, in real time. Now take the lens of time. It's thirty years later, and we still have evidence, according to John Ramsay that has never been tested for DNA and what was tested back in the late nineties. You know that technology has changed significantly. How is it possible that this case is still unsolved?
Speaker 4: How is it possible?
Speaker 7: I feel? I think it's because there has to be more testing of the evidence. Look, what if we don't find anything, Okay, we're no worse off than we are now. But initially, early on in the investigation, they found the DNA of an unknown male. Well, now we have the technology to either continue to build out that the DNA sequence on that particular piece of evidence, and or we can also add genetic forensics where you can start building family trees and.
Speaker 6: Figure out who this person is.
Speaker 7: That wasn't available in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 1: It also didn't make matters better that the crime scene was so botched out of the gate on that one. So Anna, are you going to be focusing on local crime stories as well?
Speaker 7: Yeah, of course we'll cover some local cases here in Los Angeles, but it's a national show, so we're really trying to cover cases everywhere. I think that's really important. And we're also working with our Fox stations, and so I think there's the possibility to work together on cases. Or perhaps there's a case that's cold in a certain neighborhood or community that maybe hasn't received some national attention, and maybe that national attention might jar someone's memory if it's been cold for a while. People move, people change, things happen, So we're kind of hoping that we can work together that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seems like nothing would be worse for a family member than a than a cold case, an unsolved murder. We have a loved one and you just don't ever know what happened. That would be so hard to live with.
Speaker 7: I know, don't you think so? Phil? I mean with all the reporting you've done, hasn't that always nagged.
Speaker 4: At you always?
Speaker 3: I mean, the Ramsey case is probably one of the most high profile, but I can remember two or three or four stories locally that I've done over the years where you talk to the parents and you talk to family members and there's no arrest and there's no closure, even though I don't really think closure is a thing, but that's got to be the most difficult aspect of covering some of these cases.
Speaker 4: Is the family's pain, right, I.
Speaker 7: Think, so it's horrible not to have an answer and closure. I agree with you, I don't really think that that exists. You aim maybe for justice, and even that is really elusive because everyone feels differently about what justice should be. And I believe that the victims, the survivors, and their families should have a voice in determining what is appropriate justice. I think their voices need to be heard more in the criminal justice system. I think that's really important. I also think that people really do get away with murder, and they have for a long time. And I think what we're changing, or we're seeing a change here, is that because of digital forensics and DNA forensics, it is getting harder and harder to get away with murder. But we have these gap decades i'll call them where the technology really wasn't there yet and maybe people didn't have cell phones. Those cold cases, I think are really hard hard to solve unless we retest the evidence and maybe find some DNA evidence.
Speaker 1: Anna Garcia one of the best interviewers I have watched here in Los Angeles and of course now nationwide true crime News.
Speaker 2: It debuted yesterday.
Speaker 1: You can catch it on Channel thirteen here in Los Angeles. Anda, thanks so much for the time and congratulations.
Speaker 2: This is awesome.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, thank you Shannon, and thank you Phil. I'm huge fans and I respect you so much, so thank you for sharing your time.
Speaker 3: With me today.
Speaker 4: All Right, we'll talk to you later.
Speaker 2: Ye Okay.
Speaker 1: We're in the midst of True Crime Tuesday, and this story about a guy by the name of Stefan Burjon is about his life, claiming that he was a true crime expert. It's kind of like catch me if you can, but with true crime. This was back when true crime was not a thing. This was back in the nineties where this guy, Stefan was a prolific true crime investigator, author, documentarian, and they say that he really paved the way for millions of people who had a fascination with the macabre. He released countless books, He produced a bunch of crime series. He was on panels all over the world discussing true crime from France to the United States.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like a true crime expert.
Speaker 1: Right in following the move in the seventies, he was allegedly trained by the FBI and killer profiling. He said that he had sat down and interviewed as many as seventy seven of the world's deadliest serial murderers. And in fact, he had a personal connection to true crime because his wife Eileen, was killed viciously before he started his foray into this world.
Speaker 2: Only to find out later that he was making it all up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It wasn't until he had been in business for more than thirty years that a handful of his most devout followers began to notice inconsistencies and some of his claims. So they bound together online. They dubbed themselves the Fourth Eye Corporation, a play on one of this guy's own self owned bookshops, the Third Eye. And it turns out that his sycophants, the people that just ate up with a spoon everything he had to say about true crime. They turned on him and decided to band together to expose him.
Speaker 2: For his lies, and they did. Okay, the murder of the wife.
Speaker 1: By the way, First of all, he had stolen the badge that he received from the FBI, the T shirt that said FBI on it, He had that made. He was never trained by the FBI. The interviews he claimed to have done never done. This guy was a total psychopath. And about that murder of his wife, they said that he claimed that he arrived home from work and found her raped and mutilated and murdered body in their home. Claimed she had been killed by a serial killer who was currently on death row at the time.
Speaker 2: Had even a picture, a black.
Speaker 1: And white photo of him holding her in his arms on one of the popular crime documentaries that talked about this guy.
Speaker 3: And so the reason this is all coming late now is it apparently National Geographic has done a documentary on this called Killer Lies Chasing.
Speaker 4: A True Crime con Man.
Speaker 3: So explores how he got away with telling all these lives for so long, And it's partly what we were talking about in the previous thing with Antagarcia, because people are so fascinated with this they're willing to follow anything.
Speaker 1: There was no record of the woman being murdered by the way, right, There was no record of that man that was on death row serving time for killing all the people this guy claimed he killed. It turns out that that picture of him hold, the black and white picture of him holding the woman, it was actually a Spanish actress that he worked producing B movies with prior to his career in true crime.
Speaker 2: So it was all made up. The dead one even.
Speaker 3: Say to inch View Charles Manson at one point, right, Yeah, so it's a documentary if you want, if you want, if you have crimes about crime, lying about true crime is another subgenre of the true crime fascination, right, I don't know. I mean, I'm not a true crime watcher per se, like some people are, you know, they watch Dateline, that'll, they'll watch that Antagarcia show, the podcasts, all the Facebook pages, the web pages.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It seems like if you live in that world, you're you're always thinking, you know, depressing thoughts.
Speaker 1: Well, I read an article about consumed by violence, and women are particularly fascinated because if you go back, we've always tried.
Speaker 2: Just not to be killed.
Speaker 1: Apparently, you know, you go back to the cave days, and you know it's protecting your own personal security and you want to know what happened to other women so that you can be on guard to prevent that from hearingty.
Speaker 4: It makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, well on that happy note, all right, I'm still thinking what a t minus?
Speaker 4: How many hours?
Speaker 3: Five hours to the ABC News presidential debate, and so what was what was my prediction from earlier?
Speaker 2: You say that she's going to kill it?
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's going to be decisive victory.
Speaker 3: Okay, you've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI A M six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.