Speaker 1: Greeney's Societations. Everyone, It's twelve and walking too. Fantasy Baseball Live. Today is the twenty first of August, and Tim and I are a little hairy today. I made Tim see if we could get earlier on the podcast, and he's running from all of his many jobs that he has, and I've got a delivery, furniture delivery coming and supposedly anywhere from nine thirty here to eleven thirty, so we'll see what happens. You see if we can squeeze an eight podcasts.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, our lives are very hectic. And just one of those nights at the old hospital, emergency was busy and they got back up longer for report, so I couldn't speak as much as I wanted to sneak out early. It wasn't in the cards for GA.
Speaker 1: Totally understand, and I appreciate you making your best effort, and I apologize. My schedule's been a little nuts here of the last few weeks. And I said, we've got this new place to me and it's not furniture, so we quick had to buy all this furniture, and we have a bought furniture in a long time. I don't know if you have, it takes forever for it to come. Unless you buy it off the floor, it takes forever. It takes forever. I mean weeks, like months, actually four to five months for stuff to get made and deliver, and then then they give you okay, we're delivering on Friday.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, you got a choice. Yeah you can, like you said, you can buy off the floor or sit on the.
Speaker 1: Floor, which we've been doing so.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, Yeah that worked for so long. Eh, So I.
Speaker 1: Was like with you ten. We got big exciting news last night. The Mariners announced that Kate Anderson finally is going to come up and try to help the team. And I don't know when you got Bryce Miller, I point kind of an era of eight over the last month. And and poor George George, Oh, I was gonna say, George spring Gerby. Oh, Kirby, George Kirby just got lit up again last night. So it's and I'm taking a look at the the standings. I mean, they're almost out of it. To me, it's just too little, too late.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, it definitely is. And I know what's going on with Kirby. Kirby is still limiting the free passes. Maybe it's time that George Kirby started eliminating some of the hits because his his hit great. He's he's allowed ten plus more than innings pitched, I believe thus far into the year. And yeah, that's the only pitcher. You know, Brian Wu has had moments of success, and I'm not mistaken his room numbers are not that great. They created Luis Castile Miller's gat. Yeah, so what you got, Logan Gilbert that you can say you're satisfied with there? Or who am I missing?
Speaker 1: That's it. It's funny because I brought this up about two months ago talking how strong the Seattle Mariner pitching was, and you were the one that called me out and said, is it really that strong? And I think you were I think you were right. And and it's Kate Anderson's obviously been the best pitcher in the minor leagues this season. It's not even close. And it took the Mariners a long time to realize that maybe they're starting pitching was not as good as it was supposed to be coming into the season, and probably trying to manage Kate Anderson's service time. Blah blah blah. Here we are Timmy a good chance they're going to miss the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you know, as much as I love the fact that he is getting called up, don't get me wrong, We're looking at five to six starts, okay, of which is probably going to be a ninety pitch cap on it. Okay. Yeah, he is going to marginally help your fantasy squads. He will be better than what you're probably wheeling out there as your number five six starter. But in the big scheme of things, it would have been nice had you been called up maybe a couple of weeks back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the more the merrier, and five to six starts is, like I said, it's going to be nice to see. Okay, it's definitely a positive, But from a fantasy point of view, I just don't know how much help is there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm looking at George Kirby's data and it's interesting to me there's not a whole lot of difference year over year except everything's getting hit just a little bit harder, so.
Speaker 2: Just enough to just enough to inflate that year a and low him to have some outings that aren't very good.
Speaker 1: Without looking what was George Kirby's era in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say four ten very.
Speaker 1: You're really good at this game. You've become very good tim four point two one. So it's essentially the same era they's got this season stuff. I'm taking a look at the stuff from last year to this year, and I made the comment without looking at his era looks about the same. And if you go back to twenty twenty four, that's when the stuff was really sharp and he had Yeah, so it's nothing leaps out as obvious, but maybe he's more a three point fifty to four e a guy as opposed to the ace that a lot of people thought he was going to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you know, when you looked at you know, his introduction to the league as a twenty four year old, Okay, he posted a three thirty ninety RA one twenty one whip. Okay, he followed it up for a great year in twenty three. He got the whip down to one oh four ERA three thirty five EAR three fifty three, and now we've got back to back four plus ERA seasons and the workload if you look at the workload in twenty three and twenty four, one hundred and ninety and two thirds one hundred and ninety one, almost identical twenty twenty five, one hundred and twenty six innings. This year one hundred and forty, he'll be up around one sixty one seventy somewhere in there. Probably it it's a little concerning. I think we thought we had a solid number two, possibly an eight after those first three years, but I think we have to be downshifting moving forward.
Speaker 1: His expected he are any in those same season. So it's very interesting to me. This year it's four last year of three eighty eight. Two years ago, three ninety he had a couple three forties in there, but again you averaged it out and it's a three fifty to four year a guy. That's I mean, that's a solid number three guy, even boarding on a low end number two. But I don't think it's the guy as coming back to what you just said, I don't think it's who he thought he was going to be when he was twenty five in posting that really step up season. I think he's a very good pitcher, but I think that's that's it. He's not a great pitcher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, the consistency factor, if you go back five starts. Okay, in four four innings he lowed seven earned runs. Okay, his next outing nowhere and druns. The one after that, five innings against Tampa Bay one aarn drug in his past two earnings against Houston and Milwaukee fiber and run six earned runs. And what's interesting is if if you look at those five starts, the three starts where he allowed seven, five and six earned runs, uh, they were all on the road. The two starts where he allowed zero and one earned run. We're pitching in Seattle. Maybe we've got a home road split problem happening here.
Speaker 1: Which I mean Seattle is one of the best places to pitch. Again, looking at his wift rates as well, I mean, you want to get to some pitch that's got a thirty percent wither that means it's a plus pitch. Nothing is preaching that this season, whereas he's always at that four seamer that had a thirty percent rate is sweeper last year at a thirty one percent. This year it's twenty one and twenty five. I mean, very good, but stuff's not quite as as sharp. And you know the problems of the road. I mean, you roll it all up together and I think we beat this course enough, but he is more of a three than a two.
Speaker 2: I think so too. And if you well, what I'm finding alarming, And again about the last five starts, what would you say his in those five starts his highest strikeout rate was in those five games number struck.
Speaker 1: Six three really yeah against threes.
Speaker 2: And two two's and the five starts before that six, seven, seven, five, five, ten. Maybe maybe he's tiring good beating into that and that's not good for a picture. Who's what twenty eight?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and your fantasy manager, you're still throwing him out there. That's the problem. So you're just taking it on the chin.
Speaker 2: I'm going to I'm going to start, uh, I'm going to sit him on the road down the stretch in leagues where I'm in a really close ear ra you know ear ra situation. I'm I'm going to sit him on the road.
Speaker 1: Well, this is a perfect setup for my first topic, and that is mister Paul's skiings. Another battleling on Wednesday four walks three and runs in four and a third innings against the Tigers. This isn't the Doctors, this is the Tigers.
Speaker 2: Ylo.
Speaker 1: His velocity was season average. Who would you get would you consider sitting him for his next start? Since July first, Timmy, he's posted a five to sixty seventy ear A four walks per innings. And then I've given you. Let me give you a couple of cops, because I did some research on this for the season, five inning Freddy down to four inning Freddy. It's a five twenty seven e Arra and he's walking three point seven per nine. That's a pretty close comp Aaron Nola a five to twelve vra in walking three per nine. You want it over that same time frame of July first, Dean Kramer almost exactly the same type of stat line as is Kumber Rocker, as is fram Ra Valdez. That's where Paul's skeens has been performing. That those are his peers that he's been performing at so and those guys you're you're not starting Dean Kramer every start? Would you be starting Paul Skins every time? Now?
Speaker 2: Well, looking at the back, I'd be looking at matchups. It's at that stage for me where you know, hey, it's it's nice to say, Okay, he's going to bounce back, but we're down to the final five six starts of the year. Okay, he's already done the damage that has caused you, in all likelihood to see your ear and whip inflated over the past two months to the point where it's costing it's costing you a title. Are you going to take again? It depends on how close you are in the era A category are you? Are you going to play around and take a chance. I don't know he's he's at the stage for me where if I had him anywhere I'd be, I'd be playing matchups. And if it's not a favorable matchup, I probably said them, if it's if it's got the potential to cost me even more points in that year A category.
Speaker 1: His next two starts at San Diego and then home against San Francisco.
Speaker 2: What do you do, sid start?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You got to start them against the giants.
Speaker 2: You have to, Yeah, you have to? Yes? Uh San Diego, now that Fernando Tatis has found his way out of his early season power power slump, Uh No, I don't Between Tetiz Junior and Meryll No, I don't think. I don't think i'd want that. I might want to play that game in San Diego and.
Speaker 1: Kind of bummed that tatist Junior is uh finding his stride because I was hoping to get him cheap next season. I was, I was slump.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, cheap is going to be a very relative term. You Yeah, you might, you might get him thirteenth instead of eleventh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure, for sure. So let's so we've we've we've beat up really beat up George Kirby, kind of beat up Paul Skins. Let's draft the top ten pitchers off the board next season.
Speaker 2: Sounds okay that that sounds impossible, but yeah, it should be fun.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to hold you in any of the guesses but or any of the picks here. So do you want to go first? You want me to go first?
Speaker 2: Well, it makes no difference to me. Whoever, I don't pick you will pick so, and vice versa. So that's what I'm figurering. Anyways, I figure we got to.
Speaker 1: I just want to see. I want to see if Paul Skeens goes number. I want to see if he goes in the top ten. So we'll see. I think the first couple are easy. I know you're going to take Yamamoto, so I'm going to leave that for you.
Speaker 2: No, actually, I'm not really Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nine twenty East Coast time, Tim has not taken al moto as as the number one pitcher off the board. Look, I have reservations about this. I think we all do. Can Jacob miss Jacob Mazerowski's arm literally going to go flying off his body one day? It's entirely possible, Tim, But yeah, he's just been ridiculous. And I don't even think Paul Skeen's last year was this good. I mean, it's twelve wins, one hundred and thirty nine innings pitch, he's got a thirteen point six strikeout per nine walking to he throws one hundred miles an hour, averaging one seventy five year and expect at one ninety three. So the data saying it's all real, I'm going Jacob Mizowski.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's and yeah, I got no brothers with that. One by one two is either Schoogle or one mister Oski two or vice versa. So I'm I'm I'm looking at Schoogle with the number two picks and I actually penciled in his team is La D Is that correct?
Speaker 1: For next season?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Can can they really add another four or five hundred million dollar picture.
Speaker 2: They probably can't, but they probably will.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he's not he's not great since he's been with If I guess if he wins a title, then uh, then maybe the Dodgers will want to have him. But if he doesn't, I don't know, We'll have to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm going with Schooble a's number two. I looked at the rest of the I think even a slightly above average Schoogle is it is a good bet to to return the investment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, you could still argue because of the consistency and the track record, he should be the number one guy. But I mean, I just don't think you can take anybody over Jacob Mazarowski at the moment. But I mean Scooble is boring and good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think we're going to see a hole different. I don't think we're going to see more than five pitchers go off the board in the first two rounds. I was that maybe six. But we're not going to see the rush to grab an ace because I think our definition of an ace is changing even as we speak.
Speaker 1: I'd love to fish down with Braxton Ashcraft that kind of area. I just I think that's where the value is going to be. You know, that's that's more low wind. That's probably a number two starter. I think there could be some value in these number two guys sitting there.
Speaker 2: So I think both three number or two's equals better than two number ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I struggle, Like Parker Mesic, I'm looking at uh, you know, by war and Parker Messick's the eight best picture in baseball. I'm gonna get it. It's been great. I really struggle with, you know, taking Parker Mesic as my ACE. I just, I mean, I'm much rather Chase Burns or a Dylan see somebody that's a flamethrower than the Parker Messick. But he'll probably be at somebody's ace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right to me, I'm a definition definition of ace has changed very much. I think in the past year.
Speaker 1: It's true. Look, I think the safe the safe pick here is Christopher Sanchez as right, and yeah, but uh all right, I'm gonna go should I go Cam Schlitzler or Christopher Sanchez. I gotta do Christopher's chances. I gotta be conservative here. I mean, obviously he's just been money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ave, he's had a very very good year and you know that that's scoreless streak run. Yeah, it's yeah, No, I don't have I don't have any problems at all with Christopher Sanchez as the number three off the board.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean expected the array with Camp Schlitzler's two ninety three with Sanchez, and Schlitzer's actually struck out a few more guys. I mean, but I mean Sanchez is just again the track record there. So I'm going Camp. I'm going Christopher Sanchez, you're on the close.
Speaker 2: You'll get your shot at Camp Schlitzler. Because at number four, I'm going Yama Moto your guy. Well, I'm going over again the same argument we used for Sanchez, I'm using for Yama Moto versus Schlitzler. Okay, I just think Yama Moto as the proven track record, good team. You know, the strikeouts could be a little bit better from Yamamoto, but it's off set by a point eight nine whip and an ERA under three we've now seen for what two full seasons. Yeah, it's yeah, I have a hard Hey, I get it if you if you want to look at, you know, the Yankees starter. But for me, I'm gonna take a little bit of a safer path and go with Yama Moto at number.
Speaker 1: Four to say you, Schlitzler's got a point nine to four whip, so not much difference there. I mean, I look, I'm I'm debating. I'm debating between Schlitler, Schlitzler, and Chase Burns, even though Chase Burns is I just think the upside with Chase Burns, I don't think he has hit his full potential yet. He's still walking a few too many guys. But I just think it's all there. He's won fourteen games. I think Sanchez has won sixteen, so he leads the major leagues to maybe Foster Griffin's got fifteen or something like that. But I'm gonna go with Schlittler. I'm gonna take, okay, the obvious one here and go Slittler.
Speaker 2: TiO, Okay, well you're gonna get You're gonna get a chance to to get your guy and Chase Burns because I'm going I'm going safe and a little bit boring with this one. But Dylan ceases now put together, was it seventeen two hundred strikeout seasons in a row? Something silly likes? You know, I think it's five years now, two hundred strikeouts in a row. I don't see any reason why that should change hitting into next year. Uh, he's liking Toronto. Toronto's liking him. So as much as I love Chase Burns, I think Dylan is just a safer pick with his.
Speaker 1: Which is weird because he's always been a bit volatile. But you know, the guy rarely gets hurt.
Speaker 2: He just because yeah, he just keeps Yeah, And you know what, there's something to be said for somebody when you look at this year's top four picks, five picks in the pitching department, how many of them don't have injury issues? Sanchez, Jamamoto, Mizerowski. But that's that could be a time bomb, or it could prove us wrong, like Mason Miller. Yeah, there's question marks with all these guys. I'm taking a little bit of a safer approach, but that doesn't mean it's a right approach. It's just easy to argue.
Speaker 1: Starting in twenty twenty one, one hundred and sixty five innings up to twenty twenty five hundred and sixty eight, I mean he's been Dylan case has been one hundred and sixty to one hundred and ninety innings for the last five years, So he's going to be assume he doesn't get hurt. He's going to be right there this season. I mean there's value.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think the upside is with Chase Burns. I think the stuff is just flat out nasty. I mean, I wish he played for a better team, but he doesn't. He is. It is what it is. So I'm going Chase Burns.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, what do you think? I I guess my question to you would be, because I know you're all over this guy and you love him in a big way, what's the upside difference between Chase Burns and Urie Perez.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, you can't take Eurie Perez because you you know, you all over him.
Speaker 2: That's all. That's all. That's old newsle Rich. That was like eons.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, you can't take them from me. Look, I think that of you. I'm asking you.
Speaker 2: I think you could.
Speaker 1: Get I love your I think you get Uri Peress a little bit later than Chase Burns.
Speaker 2: No, yes, I I have a tendency to agree, but I was I was looking at it, not from not from my perspective. I'm not taking I'm not going to take him. I've got somebody else in mind. I just wanted to throw out to you, what is the difference right now between Chase Burns and Uri Perez in your mind? Like, why would you take Perez ahead of Perez?
Speaker 1: Why would I take Burns ahead, take Press ahead of pres?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, sorry, I'm gonna take.
Speaker 1: I would I think the place for a better team. Uh team, I think it's going to score a few more runs. Okay, Then again, Miami is a better pitching environment, so you can argue that I'm taking a look as expected. The array of of Uri Perez is three sixty, is a little less with Chase Burns. But I think they're I don't know. To me, I think they're both really good, right.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to get your your thoughts on the two of them going like head to head sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Eh, I think they're very close. You can argue gury Pez has got a broader arsenal, got a few more weapons to throw at it. He can also argue that he's still he has just started to come back from Tommy John surgery. I think you're finally starting to see here in the second half, the guy exploding and he's twenty three and what a year younger than Chase Burns. I think you're splitting hairs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, you know, I was just curious.
Speaker 1: I think if you put them out, if they were free agents, one would get three hundred and fifty million dollars in the other get three thirty.
Speaker 2: It's like, okay, yeah, now that's cool. I'm not taking Urie Brezo.
Speaker 1: I probably wouldn't take him quite yet, because I think you can get him on. I said one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, Tim, you're on the clock.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna continue my role of boredom here and safe what I perceived to be safe picks. At number eight, I'm going Garrett Cole.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 1: I was hoping he would fall to me. You know that, I think you know, as we got into this season, I took Garrett Cole in a couple of leagues, and I knew it was a bit of a dicey pick, just coming back, but he had a couple of wobbly first outings and still pitched well. He looks like vintage Garrett Cole. Over the last month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has. He's been rocking the cats. Boh, yeah, no, he's he's been looking like the Garrett Cole of war Old. I think I think you know the first however many starts were he was hitting miss Well, that's coming back from Tommy John, I think, climatizing himself to the game, settling in knocking the rust off. But lately, if I said to you right now that Garrett Cole is going to be the best pitcher in baseball next year, would you say I am totally insane, a little insane, or it's a possibility.
Speaker 1: Oh, I definitely think it's a possibility. I don't think you're insane at all. Is it likely? No? But I mean I look if I think it's almost guaranteed as the top unless he gets hurt, a top ten pitcher, and probably very likely he's a top five pitch pitcher. So if Jacob, if Jacob Miserowski doesn't get hurt, he's going to be the best picture.
Speaker 2: Yeah you think that guy? I agree.
Speaker 1: I mean he's throwing stuff that nobody's seen before. I mean, until something happens, I think, yeah, he's a bit of a unicorn right now.
Speaker 2: How many had pictures on this list have three hundred strikeo potential in Mizerowski.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just don't. Yeah, they don't pitch.
Speaker 2: Enough to have that right exactly. Yep.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, all right, I'm going I'm going boring here.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I know this guy said he was going to retire. I think now he's saying he will not. I'm looking at stat cast page. It's all red and that is Zach Wheeler. Yeah, the velocity is down a smidge ninety six one ninety five two, but I mean the split finger is ridiculous forty six percent with rate still in a sinker even more. I mean, Zach Wheeler, what's his expected era is two seventy nine on a two ninety two era. I mean, come on.
Speaker 2: Exactly, Yeah, yeah, no, no problems at all. You know, I got a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your tenth guy, and then we're going to take a break and come back. And I want a guy that is not the top ten, not even in the top twenty, that you think is going to turn into a guy that's going to be really good next season. So I'm gonna throw that out. I didn't put it in the notes. So yeah, so like even more miserable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you. Yes, looking at my tenth guy. Okay, well, I can't pick Urie Perez because you're not. But no, and you know what, that narrows it down to two pictures for me, and I'm going to go. I don't know if this is a safe pick or or not, but everything we've seen from Peyton Tolli this year has been really, really good, and I think it's going to get better. I'm gonna go with Peyton over Paul and go with Tolly in Boston as my number ten.
Speaker 1: I think it's a great call. That would have been my guy that I think you get him a little bit later, but that would have been one of the guys I was considering. He has ranked sixteenth over the last couple of months in terms of what he's been doing. So he's been he's been good. Tim I, you know, I don't know what else to say. I mean, that guy has I thought he would be better than Condlee early he is. He's got big stuff.
Speaker 2: Yep. Yeah, everything I'm seeing I like And as much as scheme should be the pick, somewhere in there, I.
Speaker 1: Think, do you think he's still a top ten guy?
Speaker 2: I The Straycoats indicated he's a top ten the year A and Whip don't say the same story. I think he'll go off the board top ten, somewhere between five and ten. But I'm not I'm not going to play that game. I have nothing other than my gut feeling to support it. But something's wrong. We're seeing it in the results. Is it mechanics, is it a mass injury of some sort? Playing playing shape? You know what I mean? I don't know. And when I have doubts like that, I'm going to lean in another direction rather than making the commitment you have to make as a top ten, as a top ten starter. Okay, I'll look elsewhere because I just I don't feel comfortable, you know. So if I don't feel comfortable, why would I make the move. I'm not going to yep personally.
Speaker 1: Timmy, Let's take a break and come back, and let's see if we can come up with out of our asses, somebody who's going to break out next season. I think one of the answer should be Kate Anderson.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe I've got a guy that has not struck out as many guys as I would have thought.
Speaker 1: Another Pittsburgh pirate.
Speaker 2: That's Bubba Chandler, yeah, yeah, and Ashcraft, Yeah, they're both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Ashcraft kind of. I don't think Bubba Chandler is going to be in your top thirty forty guys. Maybe he will be, but I just think it's a guy that you can get a little bit later that the upside is still pretty terrific. And he's even terribly youngest his first season in the league. I think Brax and Ashcraft is again I sound like a broken record with him. I think that guy is really good. I think he's really boring because he doesn't doesn't throw one hundred miles an hour, he doesn't have the eighty grade slider or anything like that. He's just really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I can't. And you know, when I look at the list of pictures that I have that we didn't select, Schemes is on there, Massac is on there, Nolan McLain is on there, Garrett Crochet, Logan, Gilbert Uri, Perez, Max Meyer, Hunter Brown. There's there's some really good pictures that are going to fall into a de facto or default a sort of situation. But if you can land a couple of those, a couple of them might be better than some of the gambles on the perceived top ten, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: I did not have Max Meyer on there, and I'm looking at his stat line and I should have Max myre though, he's got an expected array of three eighty six, getting a little bit lucky there, but uh.
Speaker 2: Wow the strikeouts. Yeah, he's had a good year, he really has.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Man, there's there's Miami Marlon pictures man just environment and the in the factory that they've got over there just all works well.
Speaker 2: And if you look at Kate Anderson, Thomas White should be considered too, right, he's hurt. He's hurt. But I mean, yeah, Seth Hernandez, Yeah, there's some there's some pictures. It's going to be fascinating to see when they arrive and with how much Vander.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think we're going to see Seth Seth the Hernandez. That's just my take. I mean he's he's after his like incredible start. I mean he's really tapered off a bit, so, uh. I think he'll probably be overdrafted. Just that's just my thought there.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, yeah for next year in aery Draftleig, Yeah, he probably will.
Speaker 1: Be Okay, Uh, fun stuff Timmy, let's uh, let's go. Let me get back to my notes here.
Speaker 2: You don't want my long shot for it next year?
Speaker 1: I thought I thought one of those was your long shot. Oh yeah, who's your long shot?
Speaker 2: No? Okay, herod O Saki, Oh jeez, leading the NBB and strikes he wants to st them over. Then the top twenty start sitting that will be drafted as a top one or Cody Ponce there we go, I.
Speaker 1: Am totally done with these Japanese guys, Timmy, I'm done. Uh am Iya did me in? I'm done? Okay, two years I wad with with Sasaki and I'm not even gonna it's a zero point zero you mentioned in Japanese picture. Done done.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, we don't play in any leagues together. Yeah, we won't be fighting over it, but we did.
Speaker 1: I'm okay with a Cody ponzas of the world. These guys that come over, particularly from Korea, with with you know, some improved stuff, I mean, Foster Griffin, They've they've been great. But these high end Japanese guys. Yeah, for every Yamamota that you get, there's I mean, my husband, brutal Sosaki was terrible. I mean he's pitch He's pitching much better this season, but I mean these first year man, forget about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the only benefit you got there is if you played in the playoff league and you had you picked him up for the save, if you ended up lucking into the saves and playoffs when they when they moved him into the bullpen. Yeah, No, Psyche's twenty nine years old, he's a veteran. He's leading their league in strike oats. I feel much more comfortable about him than I do about per se. Uh. I would feel the most comfortable about him since any pitcher since Yamamoto. How's that.
Speaker 1: You talked that maya really big man. We all bought into it man, and then we bought into well. I'm a little concerned about his control. Incredibly, you did it before the season started.
Speaker 2: But it's like like what, yeah, what are you talking about? Yeah, for a while I was hockey rolls Rice and I delivered a pindo a little bit exactly.
Speaker 1: It's like, get, this guy's gonna be great, because the greatest guy since Yama Mode. Okay, okay, and then three days for the season, I'm a little concerned about his control. What oh you drafted already, draft bastard?
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, thank you?
Speaker 1: All right, what's the name? What's the guy's name? Again? One more time? I won't even give you a zero points there. I didn't. I wasn't paying attention. What's what's the picture's name?
Speaker 2: Was? I was gonna spell it out s A I K I heroical. He's leading the sack Japanese. Yeah, Sechy, Yeah, he's been leading. He's leading the MVB in Stracos Yere. He's wanted to come over for a couple of years. I think he'll Hey, if of course, we get some sort of assemblance of a CBA, there's a good possible ability we'll see him next year. The CBA is going to mess everything up. In effect, that really.
Speaker 1: Might mess up the Japanese guys who post, right, because they typically post in December January. We're not going to know anything in December January.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's that's the problem. That these guys sign on for another year. Do they defer their plans permanently? What happens with the North American guys? Do we see them going to Japan if they get an offer and not even considering looking at Major League Baseball. It's going to cause a total mess of that whole situation. Rich, It's gonna be ugly, ugly, ugly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny. I've I've been busy writing up. I mean, I'm I'm starting on my prospect stuff right writing for my fall project, and I'm probably three quarters of the way done. I mean, I'm just finishing up the Toronto Blue Jays today and that will be two thirds of the teams, So I've got the West to do, which is probably the biggest chunk, just because I don't know this, but I'm putting in like, you should start the season in twenty twenty seven in the big leagues. And then I'm thinking it's kind of depressing because you don't know what's gonna happen. And I don't know what's going to happen in the minor leagues either. And then I think, and what's going to happen with our Patreots side. Is anybody gonna win a bay where we have.
Speaker 2: Nothing to talk about? I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's not gonna suck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, before you start, when you do your first division, Okay, yeah, you should put the caveat up top. Okay, this applies to everything from here on forward. Until we get some definition. There might not be a season, or it might be aduced. We don't know. And when it comes to ranking players, and especially when you're looking at potential arrival dates, it's pretty tough. If we don't have a full twenty twenty seven, it doesn't start on time. All of your estimated arrival times are going to be pushed back by that amount of time, aren't they. Yeah that they miss Yeah, so yeah, one caveat, and you would have you wouldn't have to mention it for the other twenty five teams, right.
Speaker 1: I just decided just to not even mentioned. And I'm just kind of writing and going, well, you know, we'll see what happens. I mean, again, I don't know the CBA rules. I believe the minor leagues are now in in the Union effect, I know they are. I don't know if I mean, it would seem crazy that they would delay all these kids getting started. That just backs everything up. I don't know. That's what a mess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it. It's a mess.
Speaker 1: I just take a look at the standings. To me, I know it's not fantasy baseball, but it is baseball. We can talk about about whatever we want on on the on Fridays. That's that's dealer's choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, g G I right, t G.
Speaker 1: I thank god it's Friday.
Speaker 2: Or something that I put on my running shoes to remind me the toes going first.
Speaker 1: All right, that's very fun. It's very dad joke Jackson the about the why is the armor single? Because it can't? Elope mean it was it was expressionless, like you're no genius kid.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I want to know that it for right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've left for any people speechless, but usually not at that age yet.
Speaker 1: First, all right, so Yankees. Yankees have had a good week. The Red Sox in four and six. So we've got a tie here between the Minnesota Twins and the Texas Rangers, with the Blue Jays a half out, yeah, Guardians a game out, Tiger's a game and half, and the Orioles the tough series against the Yankees just did not did not get it done. And now they're two games out. You still think the Yankees and Red Sox are getting in who gets that last spot?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, and sharing the injuries that Jay's been dealing with, the playing good baseball. Yeah, they've got the best record over the past ten in in their division at seven and three. I'm still I'm still rooting for one of Toronto or Detroit. But Detroit's gone four and six in the past ten there, so i'd bet I gotta like what I got a root for the Jays. I really am after they're after their headline sell off and moving play. Hey, they're only three games under five hundred. They took two or three from the Rays. This weekend's a big series. They got to win at least one game in New York before they head back home. If you got Kansas City next, So if they can win one, possibly two against the Yankees, we'd go a long way into helping them out. So I'm rooting for the Jason.
Speaker 1: Let's see who Detroit's got next. Let's see. I'm looking at the they got yeah, the oh, they got the Uh They're at Kansas City this weekend home against the Rays and the Rays haven't played well. Ooh then home against home against the Dodgers, yikes.
Speaker 2: Ooh, Yeah, then they're five games under five hundred. They've got they got to turn around that four to sixth in the past ten and consecutive losses back to back. They got to turn that around real quick.
Speaker 1: The Twins are the Twins are two games that are five hundred, and if the season end of the day, along with the Rangers, they would be in the playoffs. It's just embar and the Houston Astros are going to win the West time well, sixty four and sixty four with a five hundred record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there were there one game up and there somebody from the AL is going to make the playoffs. Maybe even two teams are going to make the playoffs with a sub five hundred record.
Speaker 1: Yep. At this juncture, well, I guess the Rangers are only one game behind the Astros, so the Rangers still could win the division. The Astros could be out of it. So that's that's an interesting playoff situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I still think I'd love to see four teams from the ALE East make it, and that's entirely possible, as are a million other different combinations. Minnesota, Cleveland, Detroit, and Texas. I would say, Hey, the Mariners I think are out of it at eight games under five hundred. Detroit's on the CUSP. Baltimore I think is out of it at six games back, that's going to be tough to you know, they've gone four and six in the past ten Baltimore with everything so bunched up, every win counts at this stage, it really does. It's going to be that tight. I think unless somebody explodes and wins ten in a row, that changes that change. Hey, if Baltimore was to win ten in a row, that would put them right on the heels of Boston, maybe ahead of Boston. So I get anything's possible. But once you get five six games under five hundred right now, with what you've got to crawl over to get into a position where you're in the hunt, it's going to be tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got to give it up for the Twins. They've had a great season. Ye, no one projected that as as well as no one projected the White Sox. Then, I mean the White Sox is still I mean, they're still limping along a little bit, but there are three games above the Twins, so I mean they're not completely in it, but it looks very very good. Let's go to the West, I mean the Phillies and Padres. That's the talk here, Timmy, because they have just come out of overre and the Phillies are now seventy and fifty eight. They are squarely in the NL wild card in the San Diego Padres, and now if the season we're in today, they are the last wild card team in it.
Speaker 2: Arizona is still hanging in tough. They're only a game back in San Diego. So I think we got a race happening there. The Cardinals three games over five hundred. I don't think we can rule the Cardinals totally out of it, but everybody else for the most part, Miami's at five hundred, there is a race for that wildcard, uh, for that one.
Speaker 1: Who gets in, who gets in Padres, it's a Padres, so it is as is So it's the Cubs, Phillies, and Padres.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, that's what I'm surmising right now. Again unless either Saint Louis Arizona. Arizona doesn't have to go on as much of a terror, but they play some good baseball. The Cubs, it's I mean, the Cardinals, that's just a it's just a pure long shot. As well as Miami. They've had good years, very good years, but I just don't think there's enough there on the Miami side. The hitting, and on the card side, the pitching.
Speaker 1: The Marlins are the saint boat as the Mariners. I mean, the Marlins have got me great pitching, They've got a great pitching environment. But so they get some hitters. It's just I mean they're maybe sneak in every once in a while as a wildcar, but it's just yeah, it's just not happening.
Speaker 2: Now. The Marlins might come into the year, they might not have a twenty home run back in their lineup. That doesn't work.
Speaker 1: No, No, totally agree. It's very it's very Cleveland Guardian esque. Uh. And then in the American League, you've got the three AL East guys, right, so that is the Yankees, Red Sox and you're Toronto Blue Jays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I'm I'm gonna go with the three three division winners, and I'm gonna go with four teams out of the Ale East. Yeah, all three wild cards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Tigers. Boy, that's gonna be a tough haul. Man. That that was a last tough last season. That really probably did them. Inn Guardians still have a shot, still have a shot.
Speaker 2: Yes, they definitely do. SODA's Minnesota, but there's not there's not much wiggle room in there where you know you were mentioning the White Sox have cooled off a little the other five and five in the past ten, and you're right, definitely they've cooled up a little bit. But Minnesota has been five and five in the past ten and Cleveland has been four and six and Detroit's been four and six, so they're cooling off. They're playing at the same There's been no change in the overall standing in the past week and a half. They're just all playing at the same level. Nobody has stepped up and gone seven and three or eight two. They tighten it up.
Speaker 1: Everybody's five and five or four and six except for the Blue Jays seven and three. So no one is really making a move here. And we still got thirty five games left, so there's plenty of time for somebody to go on a Red Sox ten and oh, twelve and oh kind of run. If that happens. Tigers, even the Orioles could jump even the Mariners could jump in. I mean, I think it's yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree totally. It's very very much up in the air. When hot streak will determine whether or not you're in it. Or you're trying to lower your golf handicap in October.
Speaker 1: I mean, let's take a take another break, come back and do some rapid fire stuff and get out of here.
Speaker 2: Ah, sounds good.
Speaker 1: I have been told that the delivery guys will be here in twenty minutes. Twenty minutes, so we got it.
Speaker 2: Let's finish.
Speaker 1: Let's finish this up in ten twelve minutes, and then we'll call it a day. Let's talk about poor Josh. Biased me, but I think he was over three yesterday. Obviously, with the historic opening day three home runs, he's over. He's over twenty four since. Uh, I think with eight strikeouts. I think i'd strike out Yesterday's When I wrote this, it was over twenty one. He said, he won sixty total.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, yeah, Yeah. He's been a little longer, he's been a little.
Speaker 1: So what do you do. You're starting them this week and you get a chance to reset your lineups, you're putting them out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, he's been a little unlucky. He's been hitting the ball hard, he said, been hitting it at people, he said, He's he's been in the beneficiary of some great defense. Yeah, and he's a rookie. Okay, we saw him hit three in his debut, right, he could hit three in his next game? Out? Are you going to leave that on your bench? No?
Speaker 1: I did. This week. I had one team and I did not put him in. So I was a little concern. Look, if he hits three three home runs in the next game, I that would be really historic, never to be repeated.
Speaker 2: But yes, and very annoying. There would be a rent coming on our next podcast.
Speaker 1: It would just be bad fantasy management. From my standpoint, I don't look, this is a this is a guy that's got huge power, but it's huge swing and miss, and he's swinging for the fences. And I just thought the setup. I would have loved to see him go one for five in the first game with a double. Uh, I think, I mean you go, you go three home runs and it's a stark and everybody's saying it's a stark. I mean that's you know, can you imagine the mindset you're in. I mean, now you're really going to swinging for the fences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you pretty well set the bar at a very very high level. It's gonna be tough to maintain. Yeah, when you're think his his ops that first game was five or something like that. Yeah, yeah, ridiculous, but yeah, you know what he brings to the table. If you need power, it's pretty tough to keep him on your bench because he at any point in time, he could hit one out of the bar. Okay, it depends on where you're at, what you need in your lineup and go according like, yeah, I can't fold anybody for senting them or starting them either way could prove to be a winner. We we don't know, we have no idea what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at his splits. Let's go to the minor leagues. Did it do his minor league splits? Here? Let's take a look. He might wonder if he struggles against the right handed hitters, right hand at pitching. Oh love, there it is. My screen went blank here for a second. I mean it's it's twenty four home runs against right handed, thirteen against left handed. But he had half as many. Now there's really no splits. A little bit better against left handed, Yeah, a lot better, I'm sorry. Seven hundred slug against left hand or right handed pitching. I mean it's fine, twenty six. So he crushes left handed pitching.
Speaker 2: But I mean there he says, thank you, Matthew Boyd.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So two eighty two three forty seven seven hundred slash line against left handed pitching. Two forty three sixteen five twenty six still very good against writing and pitching, but he definitely crushes left handers. So it's a two hundred more and ops against a left handed pitching. So yeah, anyway, just throwing numbers out for everybody. Take it as you wish. I right, mercifully. The Dodgers put Edwin Diaz on the IL. I mean tim it. It was ridiculous. I mean, I I don't know if he's heard, I don't know what's going on. Awful.
Speaker 2: The trump had turned into a kazoo.
Speaker 1: I mean it was wow. I don't ifin they rushed him back. I don't know what had But I mean, my question for first of all, who gets a saves. I'm assuming it's Tanner Scott.
Speaker 2: I think Vashiar could get one or two. I wouldn't pay a big buck to find out. But at the same point in time, if you're sitting in your waiver wire, if you're sitting in your free agent pool, yeah, Investia for a buck or two might not be a bad pickup.
Speaker 1: My question for you is next season. I mean he is at DS top five closer off the board this year, maybe in the top three closer off the board. I know I took him and it's been a disaster. Fortunately I did handcuff him with Tanner Scott, which worked out okay. But is this draft status going to fall to a point of maybe no longer a top five, top ten closer or will people just assume it was he wasn't ready and make start making excuses and he'll go off the board very high as a closer.
Speaker 2: Top five it is healthy and can prove it. Yeah, people will be watching very closely to see what happens when I'm assuming he returns off the IL last year, if he's one hundred percent healthy, Yeah, he's going to go as somewhere between three and five.
Speaker 1: All right, let's break this down. He doesn't return this season, and you've got an early draft before the season starts. Over going to the assumption this season's going to start as normal, what do you do.
Speaker 2: I'm taking Louis Ireland or you own Durant or Racio la Glaciers ahead of him. That's what I'm going to do.
Speaker 1: Top ten, top fifteen, what do you.
Speaker 2: Do he's gonna go? I still think top five. I think he'll go ahead of Louis Ireland. I think he'll probably go ahead of Brian Baker the raise. They switch closers around every twelve months, whether they need to or not. I think he's going to go top five.
Speaker 1: Really, even if he doesn't play the rest of the season and all we have is this turd that he had over the last month. Yeah, wow, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing it. I'm not doing it. I'm not doing it either, Rich. That's where I think. That's where I think will happen.
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, what's wrong with people? Tim? You can't do that?
Speaker 2: Well? Yeah, I know, you also can't pick up Louis Ireland in every league or you know what I mean? Yeah? Or am I okay? Yeah, He's got a history of being one of the best bullpen arms we've seen over the past ten years. It's hard to ignore that. I get it. I can ignore it. I think I I can find closers when I need closers, So I am not as concerned about closers on draft day as maybe some people are. But if I have a choice between Louis Arland or a Dias, it's an easy decision for me. Yeah, or Glaciers Derby.
Speaker 1: What about Lats I mean down in Texas has been fantastic.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he's obviously the man standing right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that was a that was a good call. But I picked him up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that would go well yeah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: Dylan Smith has still got a chance. I haven't completely shot Dylan Smith. Yeah, still got a chance. Uh well, last question here. Cal Quantrell gets out, gets out of Colorado, and he was actually pretty good before he went to Colorado. I don't know. I forgot if he signed or got traded. I don't remember how he wound up. But he's he's back, posting a two seventy nine ear in his last seven stars, a couple of wins, not many strikeouts. Thoughts on cal quantrelle.
Speaker 2: He's proving to be the Andrew Abbot before Andrew Abbot showed up. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's an okay picture. Oh, he doesn't strike out enough. There are limitations, but the same point in time when he gets on a tear as we've seen, Yeah, two seventy ninety arra over the past seven starts. Yeah you got you got a roster um. It's like for me, like I looked at Brandon Fat the same sort of situation at some point in time. Okay, it's all gonna it's all gonna go to hell in a handbasket. And the same thing will probably happen with cal Quandrille, and we see it off and on with Andrew Vert those that type of picture will and has the potential to run off seven to ten games where you want them in your lineup. Okay, And he's at that stage right now where you want him in your lineup. He's pitching, well are you Are you married to him? No? Definitely not. You've got to realize those limitations. But as long as he's getting it done, get him active.
Speaker 1: Take our final break, Tim come back, and let's figure out how you're gonna be picking up this weekend? Is there anybody to pick up?
Speaker 2: Fun jokes?
Speaker 1: And we made it. Thanks again for coming in a little world way, and it did help because we were able to get a full hour in who are you picking up? Give me a picture, give me a hitter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this could be a really, really light of Waiver wire, like, the obvious answer is for a picture is Kate Anderson, But I think he's rostered to the tune of eighty percent now in CBS Yahoo leagues is I think it's very, very low. I think somebody said twenty three percent. And my answer to that is nobody's playing in most Most Yahoo leagues have been abandoned by now with the race down to two or three teams, everybody's moved to football as fart. Sorry for the sort of snarkiness.
Speaker 1: How I like how you say yeah. I like how you say yeahoo so yeah who. Well, it's funny because Laurie and I were talking about excuse, say pasta not pasta, but I think meally, and it might even be with English speaking, it's it's actually a long a, So pasta is probably the correct pronunciation. But here in America we say pasta, and we also say Yahoo as opposed to Yahoo, but it's probably phonetically a long a as well. So just FYI, as people are laughing at their phones as you say Yahoo, tim, it probably is yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyway, but yeah, yeah, I take it in the constant context of referring to a group of individuals as Yahoo's okay, that's probably where I get it from. Uh pictures. Yeah, obviously Anderson's out there. Just remember you're getting six starts and also they might be very good starts. Yeah, so if Anderson's out there, he would be my choice. I I'm looking at hey, everybody needs to get their ship to port and without a tug boat? How do you do it?
Speaker 1: Matt Wilkinson? Oh, Lord, actually pitched pretty well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, how can I pass on a guy that I know we will spend on a Sunday fifteen minutes discussing body type? Yeah, just for you Rich.
Speaker 1: Look, Matti, they said the former Cleveland Guardian six five eleven six feet, about three hundred pounds, throws eighty nine ninety miles an hour. But it's a funky delivery. No one picks it up. Well, I mean, he won't be very good long term, but can he have some early success until you know, people pitching coaches start to break down everything. Yeah, I think he could. So, I mean it's not a horrible call, but don't overdraft him next season because of the sess he might have the end of the season here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to see him park a few boats before I decide to invest in the Doug boat. Okay, yeah it's but again, it's a really really lean week hitters. I haven't a clue. The only guy that is creating a mess for Cooper Pratt owners and Joey Ortiz owners David Hamilton. I haven't checked to see what his level of ownership is in CBS leagues. But you know, David Hamilton has been really playing well the past several weeks. He had a monster game. This one of his games this week, it's a homer pile of arv eyes run score and he stole two bases. David Hamilton's an early thought when it comes to hitters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was on the eighteenth, three for five home run to run score, two stolen basis.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he's been playing well and he's making it a mess for all the other infielders that should have full time jobs there, and hey, good for David.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cooper Pratt is the guy long term though. That guy can really really hit. So but yeah, I saw I was looking at because I have Cooper Pratt coming off the eel. I was going to put him in, and I saw Joe your tea's got the start last night I'm like, what so, but hopefully Cooper Pratt will get in there. Timmy, that is a wrap, my friend. Thanks again for coming in early. Hope everybody enjoyed it. Uh what's that Japanese picture's name again?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Am I? Oh sorry yes it was zero? Yes yeah s A I K I S s h I what okay? I get to use the top rolling my keyboard again? Hot damn.
Speaker 1: We will see you on Sunday. Brindy, good luck with your teams this weekend. Simmy, good luck with all your teams and we will talk to you on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Thanks a bunch of be safely well and we'll catch you all on Sunday