Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: We will follow a strange science coming up late in this hour. We're going to be talking with Jay Ratliffe here in a few minutes regarding the airplane crashes that we've seen and whether or not there's any sort of connection to FAA cuts and air traffic safety oscars just a few days away. So Hollywood's first big round of street closures has begun to accommodate all the preps for the big day. So starting today, all lanes of Hollywood Boulevard closed from Orange Drive to Highland Avenue for about a week and a half. The oscars themselves are March second. Whatever that Sunday night is, I think it's the second, So that road will be closed to believe until the fifth.
Speaker 3: One of the Senate stories that.
Speaker 2: We talked we talked about the cash Betel being confirmed by the Senate. We talked about Mitch mcconoy tire. Two of John Fetterman's longest serving staff members are leaving his team. Charlie Hills, a communications director, and Trey Easton Legislative Director soon departing the Democrats office. Both men worked on Fetterman's campaign in twenty twenty two. They've been with him during his two year Senate career, but they said that they don't like the fact that John Fetterman is cozying up to Donald Trump, so they are out. First pitch has been thrown, by the way in this year's spring training, The Dodgers are hosting the Cubs today in the first spring training game of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: What else is going on? Time four? What's happening? Well?
Speaker 2: As I quickly mentioned, the Senate has confirmed Cash Patel, president Trump's choice to be the FBI director, final vote fifty one to forty nine. There were two Republicans who voted against Cash Pattel, Susan Collins of Maine Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, both of them not huge surprises. They tend to be much more moderate when it comes to their politics than others, and have said repeatedly that they didn't like some of Trump's choices for his cabinet, and in fact, Cash Battel was one of those that was touted as potentially being unconfirmable. I mean, you figure after Matt Gates dropped out to the running to be Attorney General. There were still questions about whether Pam Bondi was going to be the ag, about whether Tulsey Gabbett was going to be Director of National Intelligence, about Cash Battel at FBI, about Pete Hegseath at Defense, and RFK Junior at HHS. All of those were questions, and it looks like Republicans fell in line and voted with their president to fill out the cabinet. So it's almost complete now. We've talked also about the Idaho college killings and the suspect in that case, Brian Coberger. In a major ruling, the judge overseeing the case has denied a request to exclude some key DNA and other evidence from his upcoming trial. They wanted to suppress the DNA evidence that was seen as really the key piece of evidence against him. The judge said the constitutional rights of Brian Coburger were not violated.
Speaker 3: The police did behave properly.
Speaker 2: The evidence investigators obtained throughout the investigation which led them to Coburger is not tainted and can be admitted at trial. The judge said that they failed to demonstrate that the demonstrate that the constitutional rights were violated by this because the cops and the investigators used a controversial new technique known as investigative genetic genealogy, which is strange because it's been around for several years and has been proven multiple times to be a very important tool when it comes to investigating. They said that this genetic use of the use of genetic genealogy, with that minuscule drop of blood that was found on the Knight sheath, was able to point investigators in Coburger's direction. They have said that they connected it to a family member they haven't told us who that is, and then sort of built backwards the family tree that led them to this guy.
Speaker 3: So at this point, it's going to be admitted.
Speaker 2: Some debris from the Palisades fire has been washing up on beaches in Santa Monica, this after the recent rainstorms. The sediment, they said, consists mostly of fine ash mixed with sand that washed into and out of the ocean. They said, the initial tests show that this is not hazardous. County experts are regularly testing ocean water and sediment and will health issue health advisories if they have to. You might have seen Chris clue the former NFL punter I think he punted for UCLA as well. He was at the Huntington Beach City council meeting this week delivered a speech that criticized this design of a plaque that has an acronym at the bottom of it that spells out MAGA. Spells out MAGA. That's not what the words are. But Kluey, get up there, Got up there. Eight year NFL veteran played for the Minnesota Vikings the whole time. He said that he denounced MAGA. They were profoundly corrupt, unmistakably anti democracy values, and said that he was going to engage in peaceful civil disobedience and then starts walking towards the city council with his arms behind his back and then was quickly put on the ground, cuffed and taken away. Four officers led him away from the council chambers. Not clear yet exactly what charges he's going to face as a result of this. The uber with gun app has launched in Los Angeles. Not exactly what it's called, but if you're interested in riding in a blacked out suv with an armed bodyguard, you are in luck. Protector is an app that's now available on the iOS Mac app Store, offering ride share services kind of like Uber and Lyft, but with a twist. It comes with a personal protector in the form of former military or law enforcement professional who, by the way, are packing heat and To describe the new app in simple terms, one app advisor said, over the last few months, I've been advising protectors. It's a new app for ordering an on demand security detail, or, as Nikita Beer said, it's simply Uber with guns. As of today, it's only available in LA and New York City. When you book it, you can select the amount of protectors you want inside. You can choose their dress code from business formal like a traditional suit, business casual, a lighter suit no tie, or tactical casual, a polo shirt, tac pants and shoes. And an operator as well, which would be full on a tire that looks like they are a member of the SWAT team. You can select as many as three vehicles to be included in a motorcade. One passenger requested a single Cadillac Escalade with one protector. If you pick them up, it's about one thousand bucks. It would offer five hours of protection. The minimum amount of time that can be selected would be five hours, and you could obviously split that up between different people, but the fare does not include a membership which is required, and that runs about one hundred and twenty nine bucks per year. We've had a series of airline and airplane incidents over the last couple of weeks. I guess you could say it kind of started with the crash in DC, that regional airliner that was coming in that collided with an Army black Hawk helicopter. Sixty Seven people died when both of those aircraft ended up in the Potomac River, and that is being used in conjunction with a series of cuts for FAA staff that the administration has announced. So wanted to get into some of these incidents that we've seen in the lines and talk about the FAA and how important it is in terms of air travel. Jay Rattliff is iHeartRadio's aviation analyst and joins us and Jay, first of all, thanks for taking time for us today.
Speaker 1: It's always my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Let's start actually at the latest incident, one of the latest incidents, because I'm curious to get your impression on this, the Toronto incident where the plane was coming in from Minneapolis and it was on landing. It hit hard, it flipped, lost its right wing flips over upside down. When you saw the video, because I assume you have, what did you think was going on?
Speaker 1: Well, the first I mean, we knew there was a weather event, the crosswinds were there. We found out that the breaking conditions on the runway were good, so it wasn't anything an experienced crew would have any trouble navigating. The thing that shocked me is I watched the video, is as an airplane comes in normally with a crosswind, you're going to have an increase in arrival speed to kind of help offset the crosswind. But this one was coming in a little faster than that. But the thing that stuck out initially was that just before landing, typically what will happen is the aircraft nose well just tip up just a bit. We call it flaring, where the rear landing gears or the main gears will touchdown first and then the front rotates down where the front landing gear is then comes into contact with the runway. A few moments later, this looked like all three landing gears hit. It's the same time I heard the fighter pilot Matthew Buckley I think his name is, said, this looked like an aircraft landing, you know when you come in high speed and they've got the net to catch a type of thing. Because this was much harder than what we would normally see. Now, why did it happen, we don't know, but apparently from the video, as soon as the landing gears hit you see that immediate pitch to the right, and it looked like either a tire blue or probably what happened was the landing gear itself collapsed and could have been ripped off the aircraft. I don't know about that part, but obviously something happened to cause that airplane to dip quickly to the right, which unfortunately allowed the wing to catch on to something that caused it to be ripped off, turn the airplane sideways and then continue down the runway. The other wing tipped up and of course with the crosswind, it came right on over which put that aircraft on its top as it was going down the runway. So we don't know what caused this hard landing, If it was something weather event that caused the crew to land harder than they should have. If it was a mechanical situation with the aircraft, we don't know. If it was a medical episode, was on the pilots. I mean, there's a lot that goes into the investigation of the National Transportation Safety Board, and that's the reason the investigation will go eight to twelve months and Gary, they're going to look at everything, but the visual look get things seems to me to center around that Wright's main landing gear and what caused it. What happened, we don't know, but that certainly seemed to be the first event that triggered the other events that led to that aircraft ending up on its top. And I've been doing these for thirty three years, and I was trying to think the last time I had to talk about an aviation situation here in the United States where we had an aircraft on the top of itself like that, and I couldn't think of anything. It's incredibly rare. And then to see everyone walk away from that is even more of a testament of just a lot of things going right after whatever happened wrong took place.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're in a situation here where these incidents, I mean, we had a small plane in Arizona. Yesterday, we had a lear jet in Scottsdale. Last week we had the airplane crash, the medical jet in Philly. We've had some crashes that become high profile because of everything that's going on politically. We'll get to that in the next segment. But I wanted to ask, isn't the investigative agency, whether it's in Canada for the Toronto crash or the NTSB for anything that happens here, wouldn't they want to get out in front of and give some initial information about something, at least to put people's minds at ease that this isn't a systemic problem.
Speaker 3: This is kind of a one off.
Speaker 2: It might have been pilot error, it could have been the bad weather, just a a rare occurrence like that, as opposed to, you know, just to reinstill people's.
Speaker 3: Confidence in the airline system.
Speaker 1: We will get an initial briefing from the NTSB about thirty days after each crash, and it's going to be a very brief Here's what we know, here's what we don't know, and they're going to allow the evidence to kind of point the direction of the investigation from that point forward. One of the reasons we were enjoying the safest there ever of commercial jet travel for nearly sixteen years from February of two, two thousand and nine, up until that DC crash is because the all star team of the National Transportation Safety Board and the job they do every accident near accident. They have a final report that they give the Federal Aviation Administration saying, here's our recommendations from what we've gleaned from this incident that we can implement to make the travel industry and the future of aviation safer. The problem is that that takes time, and this is a group that is not going to rush anything. They're really not going to make too many conclusive statements up front because so many things have to be checked and those things take time, and obviously there's a desire to learn more, and of course a lot of members of Congress was pushing the NTSB for them to release information more quickly, and they simply pushed back and said, no, we can't, that's not how we do things. And this is a group that, again they're an all star team. They do an incredible job. They are the reason that we have seats that are as sturdy as they have right now that are rated up to six TEAMG force on crashes, the fire resistant material inside and aircraft. All of the different things that have made aviation safer over the last forty to fifty years has been a result of each accident or near accident investigation that we've had. So I'm totally okay with the pace of the investigation because I know that they have to check a lot. They're gonna be looking at the pilots, the training, the aircraft, the maintenance records. They go through a ton of information that takes a considerable amount of time and when they're finished, we'll get that final report. And not before.
Speaker 3: iHeartRadio's aviation analysts joined us.
Speaker 2: We're talking about these recent incidents, whether it's the crash in DC, the medical jet in Philly, Toronto of course on Monday with a plane flipped over on landing, and a couple smaller planes in Scottsdale, and also in Marana, Arizona from yesterday. There's a lot that's going on in terms of discussions of cuts at the FAA, and according to Shan Duffy's Secretary of Transportation, there's about forty five thousand employees in the FAA, and that about four hundred of them were released last week. What's your concern You watched this industry for a long time. Do you have concern about what's going on in terms of cuts at the agency?
Speaker 1: Had any of those four hundred been anything other than probationary employees, or had they been air traffic controllers, I would be very concerned. I agree that the optics do not look good. But the fact is that the President has made it clear that the Federal Aviation Administration is going to be a priority for him.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: We have heard elected officials Congress, we've heard senators, we have heard presidents talk about how they need to support better the Federal Aviation Administration, and then nothing ever seems to happen. It's one of the reasons that we are fighting right now with the outdated technology that the Federal Aviation uses, some of it which is based on technology from fifty sixty seventy year years ago. We are way behind from a technology standpoint, and we desperately need to have it upgraded. Although the word upgrade is an insult to the word upgrade when you understand just how far behind the times we are from a technology standpoint. So the President is indicated he's going to push for even more air traffic controllers, updated technology, bringing in some of the SpaceX team texts to try to assist. And I like everything that I'm saying because I've been so frustrated over the years, decades really and seeing the FAA tend to get what money falls off the table versus a concentrated effort on putting in the resources that we need. We're short of air traffic controllers, so why do we give them anything but the best in technology to make their job easier when they are in fact working over time and doing the job of one, two or three people. We need to upgrade the technology to make it easier for them. And I don't know where the promises are going to go, but we're pointing in the direction. That has me incredibly excited for the first time in a long time, because I'm frustrated that members of Congress and others, the elected officials we've had over the last five, ten, fifteen years, have done nothing to seriously upgrade the FAA's technology, and for them to point at President Trump suggesting that anything that has been ongoing is his fault. After three and a half to four weeks. I find laughable because those are the individuals that had an opportunity over an extended period of time to do something and chose not to.
Speaker 3: So I had a question about that.
Speaker 2: I have a friend I actually was talking to him last night about the technology that exists. He flies seven thirty sevens. The technology in those airplanes now, especially the ones that have been built in the last couple of years, is incredible. I mean, just the amount of control that they have over these gigantic machines. How does that compare to what you're talking about the technology that exists in the control towers around the kind Well.
Speaker 1: When you're talking about something that's built by Boeing, air Bus, Bombardier and Brare, any of the aircraft manufacturers around the world. The pilots continually have the best of everything on the flight deck. They've got backups, and they've got redundant systems that are state of the art. They're constantly being updated to allow us to have an increased level of safety. The problem is a lot of the computer support systems of technology that air traffic control uses for the air traffic control system network is nowhere near state of the art. We've been talking about for decades how we tracked airplanes in this country using ground based radar. You can track a drug dealer on the corner of Fifth and Maine using his cell phone and satellites, but we're tracking aircraft across the country and we did this for decades using ground based radar. You know, when the Malaysian Airline flight went missing all those years ago, the world was shocked that there were parts of the world that we couldn't track these airplanes. Well, we weren't using satellite based systems. We were using line of sight, ground based radar to track aircraft. And given the curvature of the Earth, there were times that airplanes were flying outside of our ability to track them. That should never be the case, and we need to do everything that we can because to me, the aviation industry is an integral part to our nation's economy. We know that in the next ten to fifteen years the industry is going to double. We know that we do not have the technology and infrastructure now to meet today's demands, to say nothing of what's coming. So simply from an economic standpoint, we need to invest everything that we can in aviation right now so that we can take advantage of what's coming from an economic standpoint, and again I'm pleased that we seem to be headed in that direction.
Speaker 2: As the United States goes, so goes the rest of the world, especially when it comes to aviation technology aviation safety. If we begin this process and update those flight tracking systems, the air traffic control systems, everyone else has to follow suit, don't they.
Speaker 1: Yes, And it will make aviation safer around the world. And really that's what we need because up until the crash that we had there in DC, remember sixteen years of no major accidents here in the United States, the safest are era of commercial jet travel. And when you figure that, we've got nine million plus flights commercially speaking a year, and we went decades in half where we went all those times with all those flights, I mean, we've never seen that type of string before, and it was great to see. Now we have had three crashes where we've had the Alaska crash where ten lives were claimed. We don't know what happened there. We had the situation in DC where we had the helicopter crash to the regional jet, and then we have this situation with this third crash and fortunately no loss of life. But when you have that much happening in a short period of time, now people start paying attention to the general aviation crashes, and those happen sadly every week. We will tend to lose about ten people a week from general aviation accidents, as much as maybe four hundred and fifty to five hundred and fifty people a year that die in in the general aviation accidents. So when you have this focus where people all of a sudden are paying attention, they start noticing a lot of these general aviation accidents and they're thinking, oh my gosh, you know, what's happened to the aviation safety. Should I be concerned about flying? And my response to that is absolutely not. We still have the safest air traffic control network as far as from a safety standpoint, pilots, technology, mechanics, everything across the board than any of the place in the world. So I don't hesitate one bit to go to the airport and jump on an airplane knowing that these three different accidents probably had much different causes, and as a result, we'll find out what happened and we will honor the lives of those that were lost by making the necessary changes so that we can, as much as humanly possible, prevent those types of situations from happening.
Speaker 2: Again, excellent, all right, Jay, thank you for your time. Always my pleasure, Jay Rattlift there again. iHeartRadio's aviation analyst. Been analyzing airplanes aviation industry for thirty plus years. It's time for some strange science.
Speaker 3: Strange, it's like weird science, but strange. A couple of good ones.
Speaker 2: Today there was a beast, a newly identified basteton bastatodon, thought to have been a leopard sized dog, basically at the top of its food chain the same time that our ancestors were evolving from the monkiness. These findings, published in the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology Fascinating Classified ads by the way, said that the creature would have likely preyed on primates, very early elephants and hippos and high raxes. What is a high rax in the forest of Egypt which is now a desert of course. The paleontologist and the lead author of this from Mansoura University and the American University in Cairo, said they meticulously excavated layers of rock dating a back of around thirty million years, and they say, just as they were about to wrap it up for the day, a team member spotted something remarkable, a very large set of teeth sticking out of the ground. His excited shout brought the team together marked the beginning of an extraordinary discovery, a nearly complete skull of an ancient apex carnivore, A dream for any vertebrate paleontologist, if you say so. The skull was unearthed during their team's expedition to the Faiyu Depression, which is in the Egyptian desert to the west of the Nile River, fame for its fossils for its ancient Egyptian artifacts and digs there have revealed a window of about fifteen million years, they say, of evolutionary history of mammals in Africa, Bastetadon Bastetidon, belonging to an ancient group of carnivorous and mammals known as I'm not even gonna try it. The predators had hyena like teeth, and they said they evolved but long before the modern day carnivores like cats and dogs, and they hunted in the African ecosystems after the extinction of the dinosaurs.
Speaker 3: If you are looking for.
Speaker 2: A way to fuel your vehicle, there are new vast reserves, they say, of white hydrogen that may exist within mountain ranges. White hydrogen has gained the attention recently because it has a potential to replace fossil fuels. It was only a couple decades ago that some scientists started saying that the fuel even existed within the Earth's crust. In now, what they're saying are pretty large amounts they natural or geologic hydrogen, and they've talked about how it forms, about where it might be located, and the main problems has been working out where to find volumes of it that are large enough that would be useful considering how much energy we use every single day around the Earth. So to find answers, they put together some computer models to simulate the movement of the tectonic plates and then pinpoint areas where the right conditions would exist for generating again white hydrogen geologic hydrogen, and they found that mountain ranges like the Pyrenees and the European Alps are potential hotspots. The hydrogen, of course, is produced when water produces only water, I should say when burned, has long been eyed as a safe green fuel, especially for aviation for steel making, but a lot of commercial hydrogen is aid using fossil fuels, so it completely cancels out whatever sort of climate saving power you have, which is why when the Earth makes it itself, that's going to be a much more tantalizing prospect.
Speaker 3: You could talk about it.
Speaker 2: White hydrogen really started being talked about in the late eighties. In Mali, a water well exploded a worker was leaning over the edge with a cigarette and the well was covered, but was unplugged in twenty eleven and has since been producing oxygen that helps power the local village. This is one of those places where it just naturally occurs and they were able to harvest it. You can find it in the United States, it's been found in Australia, it's been found in France. The problem is it's not a lot, and they're hoping that they're going to be able to find a place that has a lot of this white hydrogen and then somehow get it out and use it to power all of our vehicles and phones and AI computers and things like that, and then finally sign at the University of Bristol have used a powerful supercomputer to create a picture of Earth's distant future and to predict when we're all going to die. And I think they're getting it wrong because it doesn't say anything about the asteroid. In twenty twenty thirty two, they said temperatures would predicted will be exceeding one hundred and four degrees in some areas, some reaching over one hundred and twenty two. Combine that with dense humidity, it will push conditions beyond the limits for most mammals, including the mammals that look a lot like you and I.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app