Speaker 1: When you're ready to double down, dive in, try for a show.
Speaker 2: And not look back.
Speaker 1: Roll into Pearl River Rezoot from tea times to table games, water slides by day, slots by night, savor the flavors, feel the fly, win big. Let's roll into Pearl River Resot must be twenty What a roller to play gambling problem called one hunter Gmibler.
Speaker 3: This morning's cup of coffee, it's going to be a little different as I'm bringing on my good friend Kelvin Dogg Smith to talk about a local event that is very important to him and very important to the area. For our national listeners, I understand that maybe if you don't have something like this in your area, you can try to be inspired by what Dog's about to tell us about. So Dog, go ahead and let the listeners know what a venture working with.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, Tomorrow night, which is the first Wednesday night in December, is our annual SCA Christmas Party, which is fellowship with Christian Athletes and I've I've been blessed to be a part of the SCA board here in Jones County for about twelve years now and this is actually our believe fourteenth Christmas Party and what it is is we we have elementary age kids adopted throughout the county. We actually have we've had one hundred kids adopted before this year, we've.
Speaker 2: Got a little over eighty.
Speaker 4: And how we come up with these kids, First of all, if we go through the elementary schools and their counselors, because the counselors know, you know, the families and the kids in their situations that.
Speaker 2: You know that might be in need or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 4: But anyway, each each athletic team and sometimes we have you know, more kids, and we do teams, and so we'll have some other groups adopt, but normally every athletic team in Jones County and that is of course three county schools south West and East and then Laurel and then we also have the all Christian School and then we also have all the athletic teams at Jones College.
Speaker 2: They all adopt a kid.
Speaker 4: We get them their information and uh, it really is this is one This is probably one of my most favorite events we do every year.
Speaker 2: And I think you'll hear that from a multitude of people say the same thing.
Speaker 4: It's just a blessing to you know, to be able to provide provide Christmas for these kids a lot of times their situations, this might very well be the only.
Speaker 2: Christmas that they that they have.
Speaker 4: Uh but the kids, the six say, the teams at the schools, they get just as big of a blessing out of it, not only just being able to watch the kids open their Christmas gifts tomorrow night. But they all take a day, their coaches take them. They all take a day when they get their lists for each kid they've adopted, and they'll go take a day and it's just a great team bonding. They'll go shopping for the kids, and I mean we hear that all the time. They'll they'll get just a bunch of a blessing out of that. I have a day of together and shopping.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know. Then then they do the party.
Speaker 4: But uh, but they all we all kind of migrate down to Jones College tomorrow five thirty. And what we'll do is we'll take all the adopted kids and their families and we'll feed them a nice little deal over.
Speaker 2: Let's be clear.
Speaker 3: That'll be today at five thirty.
Speaker 2: We're recording. Sorry, yeah, I'm sorry. Uh. Yes, It's always the first Wednesday of December.
Speaker 4: And yes, we're playing this on Wednesday morning and uh so, yeah, it'll be later tonight. Uh, but we'll feed the kids and their adopted families, you know tonight.
Speaker 2: Uh over to cafeteria Joan.
Speaker 4: And at the same time, we'll have all the sports teams in the Fine Arts building and we have a little program for them and a devotion and all in about.
Speaker 2: Six maybe ten.
Speaker 4: After six will kind of disperse, and we have so many that we use both facilities. We'll have all the Joltes teams and the kids that they're adopted in the main gym, and down to p building we'll have all the other kids that were adopted by the high schools and other groups down there.
Speaker 2: And kids walk in and it's a scene.
Speaker 4: We call it organized chaos because it is very organized. Just takes a lot of time, two three months planning this and getting it together. But when the kids walk in, all the teams are screaming.
Speaker 2: They got poster board the names on them.
Speaker 4: They go find their spot and they get there and you just.
Speaker 2: Have Christmas with these kids.
Speaker 4: And one thing that we all that we encourage all the teams to do is one of their gifts be a Bible. You know, a children's age appropriate age Bible for these kids, so they also get a Bible, which is you know, a big deal for it being a SCA event is we want to make sure that they see and hear and be able to take the word of God and fill the love of Jesus with them the only tonight when we have this event, but take it with them as well. But it's now, it's a great, great event. It's a touching. It can be emotional. Sometimes it's a blessing. Like I said, not just for the kids that are adopting, that are getting Christmas, but being able to provide that too. I think the teams and coaches and parents that come and witness it. It's just a blessing for all. It's one of the one of the best things we do every year.
Speaker 2: Dog.
Speaker 3: This is baseball, basketball, football, soccer, this is everything everything.
Speaker 2: It's everything.
Speaker 4: We have band adopt, we have fifth A, we have choir because usually we have more kids than we do all the athletic teams. Uh so we'll have we have student counsel.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: I mean, uh, we even got the outside organizations like the Ellis Club. Uh there in Ellis Field, the women's organization there in Ellisfield. They've adopted two kids. We have some of our board members that adopt kids. So it's it's not just the athletic teams. That's kind of where it started, and it has grown from there because, like I said, sometimes we have a lot more kids turned in that need you know, need this, then we do might have teams. So we reach out to some other groups, uh, student groups or organizations and they always this man, God has his hands over this event and it just all always works out.
Speaker 3: And this isn't something that the student athletes are required to do there. They want to do this. They're willing members of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, So it's not something that they've been forced to do.
Speaker 2: Right. No, no, they're not forced to do it.
Speaker 4: But I but I tell you what, we're very blessed in Jones County with great coaches and a great school district and superintendent administration because s c A UH has a strong just impact on on the campuses and you know, each each school has s c A every week UH in what we call our campus hotel. And then we encourage you know, each coach if they're willing to have a team huddle every week with just their teams. Uh So s c A has a big, big impact on the campuses as well. But but no, SCA is not required to come to the party tomorrow night is not required.
Speaker 2: But I don't know very many that that's use not to go though.
Speaker 3: That's what makes it special, the fact that you've got high school age kids that aren't being told they have to do something, but they want to do something.
Speaker 2: Generally, Yeah, uh, you're you're exactly right.
Speaker 4: And now I don't I think each year that passes by it just we can. We can look at the world around us and even our surrounding chare locally and just see this. We just need more and more, uh you know of things like this and uh you know kids doing things like this more and more, and just the way the world is around us.
Speaker 3: Well, before we sign off, tell everyone one more time, uh when and where and that way folks that want to see this firsthand participate can can hear that.
Speaker 4: Again, anybody wants to witness this, I encourage you to come on.
Speaker 2: But this is tonight.
Speaker 4: It is always the first Wednesday night in December, but it is tonight. Uh. If you just want to come in time, just to see the kids walk in and see their looks on their faces and get their Christmas gifts.
Speaker 2: I would show up at the.
Speaker 4: Pee building to Jones or maybe even the main the Howard Gymnasium now on campus at Jones about six o'clock either either location, and and you can experience it, and it usually don't last long, you know, but you'll get it. You'll get a great blessing out out of this tonight.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to come and be a part of it or just just see it for yourself.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, thanks again for what you're doing. This has been morning Coffee with the Right Side. I'm your host, Jack Fairchilds. The guy that's been talking is Calvin Doug Smith, and we're a part of the Midnight Ride Network. This show has been brought to you by Pearl River Casino and Resort