Speaker 1: Scam Alert. I love to let you guys know about scams. JB brought one up, Tricia knew all about it. I'm kind of new to it, so fill us in, please.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know, you got to spread the word. People are getting tricked right and left. And I started to fall into one. And then you know, the first sign is if it seems too good to be true, that's when your radarch just start going off. And might didn't go off fast enough because it looked so legit.
Speaker 3: I got this.
Speaker 2: Post on my story feed right and it's it said, you know you heard of the bike company Specialize their big time, and it says from bicycle Outlets, Specialized eighty percent off blowout satellite for the biggest summer sale ever. You click on it and it takes you to a site that looks like Specialized the company. Even on the bottom of it it says special nineteen ninety six to.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty five, whatever years they've been around.
Speaker 2: All rights reserved, and it has you know, everything that you would see mountain bikes, rode bike, scramble bikes, e bikes, helmets, peril, just you name it, gloves, shoes, But the prices were like they were legit eighty percent off.
Speaker 3: I was like, what is going on here? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I sent it to a friend of my new works for specialized and he's like, oh, yeah, that's a scam.
Speaker 3: I go, wow, it just looks so legit.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyway, and so you someone's going to go, oh, this is too good of a sale, impulsively click on it, spend you know, one thousand dollars on something that should be.
Speaker 3: Eight thousand dollars and they're just going to keep your money. That seems to do nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you get you nothing, but it's I mean, I think that's that's kind of the newest, latest craze.
Speaker 3: It looks very legit, and then you see one but with different products.
Speaker 5: Tricia I did. I almost fell for it. For on running tennis shoes. Oh yeah, they had this really good looking shoe and it was eighty percent off and like you go to it. It was like twenty five dollars for a shoe that can be like one hundred and fifty hundred and sixty bucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it looked.
Speaker 5: So real, right, But there was just something inside me that just red flag immediate was like, there's no way, why would they do this? And I looked around and the domain was funky. You always click on the domain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 2: Now, my wife and daughter have gotten in the habit when they see something they send it to me to investigate, like, hey, is this legit? This seems weird, whether it's bill collectors, oh, police saying you've got a warrant like, it's hitting you like all the time now from all angles, all kinds of scams, right, just crazy and I you know, And one of the things you should teach anyone listening to you know, if you're listening to this, teach the rest of your family.
Speaker 3: If you get a call.
Speaker 2: From anything that you use, your bank, your credit card, whatever, just tell them okay, because they're giving you some kind of alert or has to do or something like that. Say all right, I'm going to hang up and call the number on the back.
Speaker 3: Of the car.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Don't just start sharing information with somebody who called you ever, ever, ever, ever, Like, just say, hang on when I or when I get home, which usually you're out and about when I get home, let me log on the site. I'll call the official number and take care of it. Then you just went through this, didn't you with your daughter. Right, Yeah, they they had her going and they said they were calling from that she had a breach. Wait, no, her Apple Pay. She had a problem with her Apple Pay and then they you know, they tucked her into logging into her iCloud account.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they could then they.
Speaker 2: Access whatever whatever card is linked to your Apple Pay.
Speaker 3: They just take whatever they can. Now, I'll give you a quick and then you lose your iCloud account.
Speaker 1: To totally sucks. You can't get that back. Yeah, quick tip for you though, and it's the easy thing to do. You may have seen commercials for trying to get you to buy home title protection, right have you seen those people forge documents, then they get the title to your home, and then they start getting loans and you don't even know this is going on.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's how they get access to your title.
Speaker 1: They just they forge documents, they and they have everything and then they start getting.
Speaker 3: Loans borrowing from your home. Actly. All right, So I just got to notice this.
Speaker 2: Morning, but from my lender on the home mortgage that I have an X amount of equity.
Speaker 1: But so the key the thing is with this this home title protection, you know that's going to cost you money to do that to get it, because they'll notif it's like, you know, security against someone's stealing it. When really all you have to do and everybody should do this is log in and freeze your credit. Freeze your credit that way, anytime someone tries to get a loan using your information, they can't because it's locked and only you can unlock it. So it just that just saves a lot of running around trying to cover every single base and getting defrauded.
Speaker 2: Is just freeze your credit and it's simple unfreeze it when you do a major fact. And I use LifeLock too. It has saved me.
Speaker 1: We have LifeLock, don't we Trisia, we are equifacts LifeLock.
Speaker 4: We have Experience. No, it's Equifax and it covers.
Speaker 5: Like that's how we have our social security numbers locked and it monitors all three of the credit reports and you get a notice every month if anything has changed at all, and protects it. It is the whole thing. It's like, I don't know, thirty bucks a month does all the things.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of ways to protect yourself. Boy, there's nothing worse.
Speaker 1: I've never gone through it, thank goodness, and knock on wood, identity theft. But I know people that have and it's is just the unwinding of a huge mess every time. I mean, if it happens to you, I definitely don't want to mess around with it again. I guess the story the moral of the story here and the lesson is, hey, if it looks too good to be true, if there's a two hundred dollars a pair of tennis shoes on sale for twenty five dollars, it's too good to be true.
Speaker 3: It just they always always are coming up.
Speaker 1: You guys got to stay with us today, okay, because coming up before seven thirty or right around seven thirty. Everyone knows the song by Benny King, stand by Me right. It's a it's a classic. But just when you thought that's a song no one should mess with, someone messed with and just blows your mind with their it's a fair version of the song. We've got it for you. We're going to share it here in just a little bit. And the story we love is coming up next. Tricia, what do you have?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 5: We have to talk about a law that was passed in Texas regarding barbecue and meat. This is definitely the Land of Barbecue and me all right.
Speaker 1: Stay with a story we love coming up on Austin's eighty Station one O three point one. Hey, you know what, I misspoke just a little bit ago. I told you around seven thirty that we were going to do that stand by Me cover. That's absolutely amazing and blow your mind, and chances are you haven't heard it.
Speaker 3: I was wrong. I forgot.
Speaker 1: I got Stephen Presley coming up in just a little bit. He joins us every Friday, Yeah, from out thunder Pop TV, and he's got some really interesting stuff to talk about, including the new director for James Bond and how that could really change things up for the James Bond franchise. Also a free event this weekend if you are an F one fan, where you can get in a simulator, So stick around. Steven's going to join us in just a little bit. The Stories we Love.
Speaker 3: Fly from the Lesterhold Studio. Here's Tricia Delicia.
Speaker 5: All right, So everybody's been an uproar in Texas.
Speaker 4: Ever plant based meat, like not real meat, plant based meat.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm talking about, looks like meat, but it's not actually from any kind of an animal. Then people started getting fired up about meat grown in a lab. But nobody in Texas needs to worry because a new law passed in this past session that has made it illegal to sell or consume protein grown in a lab for human consumption, which I have to tell you, I don't know how anybody ever thought that was going to not be a law put in into effect in the state of Texas, known for barbecue and meat. But here's something I think is funny. We have something called the Texas Southwest Cattle Raisers Association, and there is a man named Karl ray Polk who spoke at one of the committee meetings, and immediately when I read his name, I was like, of course that's where he worked.
Speaker 4: His name is Carl ray Polk.
Speaker 5: When the man was born, he was destined to work on some sort of cattle meat committee with that name. But yeah, Texas is the seventh state to ban the sale of lab grown meat.
Speaker 4: So our barbecue is safe. Things.
Speaker 1: The biggest mistake they made with this this fake meat is what they named it lab grown.
Speaker 3: I'm not interested in the lab grown lab.
Speaker 1: It was a lot I think of peatrie dishes and funguses and labs.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to eat meat from a lab period.
Speaker 1: But it turns out there's been some new information that comes out that this has all been a bunch of bologney anyway, Like these plant.
Speaker 2: Based meats are yeah, we've been we've been sold a lot of like plant based meat substitutes turnout, So I don't know which ones are good or bad, but like didn't didn't like that beyond meat. It's like we found out it's not that healthy for you, right, it all it's all marketing.
Speaker 5: Also, one of the big oppositions to this, which I feel like applies to plant based meats, is that there's a lack of long term health studies to find out like how it will eventually down the road affect you, which is the same as the issue that they're having with the lab grown meat.
Speaker 2: So here's here's the deal with. You know, if you choose not to eat meat, that's good on you. That's great. You don't need to make meat substitutes, just don't.
Speaker 4: Steve.
Speaker 2: Eat your yeah, eat your other stuff, eat your veggies and plants and whatever you want. But you know, you don't need to make a fake meat if you're not im By the way.
Speaker 1: Don't call it a hot dog, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Like, that's what Sandy gets so mad about that these still call it.
Speaker 3: Still it's not a hot dog. You made it look like a hot dog.
Speaker 1: But it's not a hot It's a bunch of stuff just shaped in it like a hot dog, not a hot dog.
Speaker 4: Sat shape sheep. That's even grocery.
Speaker 1: Formed into a hot dog. So but you know what I'm gonna do, and jib you should do this too. You can go to Costco.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 1: I saw this on an Instagram video and and cut your own steaks.
Speaker 3: I'm doing that.
Speaker 1: You can buy like a big and I saved the video a big hunk of meat. And she's the video I watched, said it was hut and seventy bucks. And then she cut two fingers worth with of steak on each of them. They were New York strip steaks, right, and she got thirteen steaks out of it. So just you know, less than ten bucks of steak.
Speaker 3: Oh, I see, So I big.
Speaker 5: Slap and take it home and cut it at home and then freeze exactly. Ah, it's the same as when my grandparents butchered cows, the cows on their ranch.
Speaker 4: And had them cut up.
Speaker 5: They don't know if they did it themselves and then freeze it had a giant freezer full of steak.
Speaker 3: We're making vegetarians cry. That's not the first time they cry. I feel like they cried every They cry every day.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's just I just saw I just saw a video where a woman was talking to a tree and making it maybe and talking about how plants have feelings and stuff.
Speaker 3: So then you.
Speaker 4: Start death.
Speaker 3: Maybe.
Speaker 1: You always said the funniest thing about the dolphs the tuna safe dolphins? Are the dolphins safe tunas? Why didn't you that said that? You know, what about the use I said it?
Speaker 2: What about the Yeah, I don't know why you gave me credit you I first heard that from you.
Speaker 3: You were like, dolphin save tuna? What about that? It's in the can?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Well? Good for Texas.
Speaker 1: We're not going to have any of that lab grown meat around it because you would you go to a barbecue place that said lab grown barbecue.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not, absolutely not.
Speaker 5: Your homestad in Nebraska is one of the other states that has banned it already.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a huge business and here's it is here too, But I mean, just yeah, just cattle and the meat business pretty big.
Speaker 3: So that's the story we love.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, Stephen Presley from at thunder Pop TV joined just going to talk about the new director for James Bond. Also a free event going on this weekend. Uh if you're a fan of F one and F one the movie, they're promoted and you can actually get into an F one simulator. We'll tell you about it. Steven will tell you about it. Coming up next on Austin's AATY station, what O three point one