Speaker 1: Billy cunning in the Great American that Joe Biden and Kamalis Harry's administration gave three hundred thousand Haitians temporary legal status in June, they suspended it for a while, opening up again about four months ago. About fifteen to twenty thousand were settled in Springfield, Ohio, Clark County without the governor knowing about or approving it has simply occurred. Joining me now somewhere in his car on the road again is Governor Mike Dwine. And Governor Mike Dwine. Welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And Governor. First of all, am I correct and stating that you and Ohio government did not know the level of individuals coming to Clark County. Is that normal when you have a parole program authorized by the Feds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't notify here. Look, Philly, here's what happens under this program. Someone comes in, they say, I'm from one of the sixteen countries that's considered to be highly gagerous treason. This program, uh that administration created this program for and they're given basically given a card at that point and they can go anywhere.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is the way. Most people who come.
Speaker 2: Across the border, whether they're legal when they get here or whether they're illegal that you know, sell of them.
Speaker 3: It doesn't do anything to place them.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Refugees is the only exception.
Speaker 2: There's a small number of refugees that come in and they will come into Ohio and you know, we will know the number. Uh. And there was a there's a full program put on by the federal government. Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, they hire nonprofits to get them sell. But this this was not the case here. That's just a small group of people.
Speaker 2: But the vast majority of people who come in get across that border, you know there they check in, they give them a card, and you know, they don't tell them where to go.
Speaker 3: What's happened is you know there, this has happened.
Speaker 2: Built over a period of at least two maybe three years, maybe longer than that. You know, Springfields of town of about fifty city of about fifty eight thousand people. The estimate is no one knows for sure. The estimate is there's about fifteen thousand people who are there from Haiti. They came to work. The truth is that they were jobs that were not getting filled. These people came here. They want to work. They've been working. And when you talk to the employees as I employers as I have, what they will tell you is I wish I had you know, I still have slots open, and I wish they had more people to put into those slots because they get up in the morning and they go to work. The problem is not that we have people coming in, and the problem is it's massive. And so you know, do the math what percentage that is, But it's a pretty big percentage. If we've got fifteen thousand people coming in what was a city of fifty eight thousand, and you know, it's just we never see such a influx in such a short relatively short Governor, is there.
Speaker 1: A crisis right now? You're in charge in the state of Is there a crisis in Springfield, Ohio as we speak this Friday afternoon. Would you describe it as a crisis?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Look, I mean the National Presius got hold of it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, people have been talking about week.
Speaker 2: Look, this has been an ongoing crisis and it's an ongoing uh thing where you know, as the governor, we have worked with Mari rou We've worked for the county commissioners. Uh, you know, we have people on the ground, uh, and we're going to keep people on the ground there. And let me just define of what the what the what the problems are UH.
Speaker 3: What is a health problem?
Speaker 2: Uh? Haiti is a country with very little healthcare normally.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: In the last two years, they've seen doctors have fled, hadiation doctors, anybody could get out that out Why because the president was assassinated and the gangs are basically running there, so everybody's trying to get out and doctors have left.
Speaker 3: So there's very little h medical care there at all.
Speaker 2: So you take those fifteen thousand people, uh, and you know, put them in a community like Springfield. There's a lot of catching up to do regard to medical care. And some people say, well, why, you know, why should we be doing that? Why should you know? Might do wine be worried about that? Why should I what we worry about? Because look, we take for granted that we don't have epidemics of measles anymore, epidemics of looping calls, and lord knows what else. And the reason is that we basically routinely, just silently, it happens every day that moms or dads are bringing their kids in and they're getting done the baby shops and.
Speaker 3: They're doing doing these things.
Speaker 2: But you know, it's certainly conceivable that you know, if you introduce a large population that's not had that kind of medical care, is it will have an impact, not just on that, We're just gonna have an impact and everybody else.
Speaker 3: So we have really put an emphasis.
Speaker 2: We've got extra nurses in there through run clinics, and you know, I made a commitment three days ago over the next two years, we hope you use federal dollars to do it. We're still working on that, but we've got to get it done, and that is have more clinics because this is a potentially health.
Speaker 3: Problem.
Speaker 2: The second problem, Yeah, the second problem is driving.
Speaker 3: We parlaw in Ohio and I don't like this, and I'm going to be asking the legislature can change this.
Speaker 2: But our law in Ohio says that if you're eighteen years of age or older, you do not have to have any driver's training none.
Speaker 3: Sure up, And that's true.
Speaker 2: Whether it's someone who's forty who walks in, someone who's eighteen who walks in, doesn't matter whether Haiti or you know where they're from and they've lived through all their life. They don't have to take driver's train that's a problem. It's ascerbated by the facts. So so what you now have is you have patients who are showing up their adults. They don't have to take any driver's training, and so they take a test and I think they're passionate at about seventeen percent rate.
Speaker 3: But what happens, and the law allows them to do this until we change the law, there's something we can do. They can come back every day and so they.
Speaker 2: Finally passing, but that does not mean they are any better drivers. And you know, driving in Haiti is a hazardous you know, fram I've been down there a number of times, and you know, working with a friend of ours, brother Tom Hagen's school down there, and it's a hazardous proposition to be driving.
Speaker 3: So that is another huge, huge problem.
Speaker 2: And we're trying to, you know, introduce some drivers training and people say, well, why can they get a licensed Well, that's what the law is. The law allows them to get a driver's wife.
Speaker 1: I mean ask you this question, Governor. You're a small town guy in Green County. Imagine being a person living your life in Springfield, Ohio and you look around. You can't get medical care. The schools are inundated with students that are not educationally up to snuff with your kids. The medical system is almost near collapse. You can't get emergency room treatment. The rents are skyrocketing because Haitians with government support are bidding up the rents. So your rents are up, Your schools are in terrible condition, the health system is in near collapse. The body shops are making a fortune for people that can pay. The death of that one kid is awful, but that is a terrible issue. So if you're living in a small town, Let's say it happened in Cedarville, Ohio, where you hail from, and all of a sudden you look around and most people are on benefits, not working. From Haiti that are here. The great majority are not working. And there's not suddenly fifteen thousand more jobs in Springfield, Ohio. There might be a one or two thousand, but the great majority are in public help. The rents are through the roof. Your kids can't get educated. The system is called how do you answer to those questions of residents of Clark County.
Speaker 3: Look, I feel for the residents.
Speaker 2: That's why We've been involved in this, We've been working on this, will continue to work on this.
Speaker 3: Look, you know, we are we are a compassionate country.
Speaker 2: But the problem is when you have that many people come in and figure it's time.
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 2: Look, well, you know, if you if you have some data on the number of working.
Speaker 3: I would look at it. But that's not you know, that is not what we hear.
Speaker 2: What we hear is that we have patients who are working very, very hard, and you know, they may have children, they may have families, and obviously those those are those count in the fifteen thousand people, so that they came there because there were jobs available. The good news from Clark County with Springfield is that we have seen in the last five ten years rather dramatic increase of companies coming in employing people people to work and so you know, that has been a good thing. The bad thing is it's been you know, there have been significant vacancies that have been available. So you know, the peopless came here. We can only assume for really two reasons. Want is to work and the other is, you know, for generations, whether.
Speaker 3: It's your family or my family.
Speaker 2: You know, my family ended up coming from a potato fam in Ireland in the eighteen forties ended up in Yellow Springs, and we suspect that the reason they did is because there are other Irish they are and so you know, other Germans go where Germans are historically, and so that's that's the other reason that we have that in in the Springful But look, as governor, there's things I can control, there's things I can't control, and so my job is to try to, you know, to deal with the challenges that we face in Springfield and to help mayor Room, to help all the elected officials as they work their way through this. With the understanding that I, you know, fully understand people in Springfield being very, very concerned about this.
Speaker 3: I am very concerned about it.
Speaker 2: I also understand that you have people who are Asians who if you listen to the employers and there's the reason that players gonna lie about this, are telling us they're working their hearts or workers. We got to get we got to manage our way through this. It's not something that we created, not something that people in Springfield created, but it's it's it's governor, I have an obligation and I'm certainly taking it very seriously to do everything we.
Speaker 3: Can to protect the people in Springfield.
Speaker 2: Now we've had something in the last two days, as this thing has gone viral, it's become a national issue. That's all right, but what's happened is we're now getting bomb.
Speaker 3: Threats all the time. So we have moved in.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to talk about what we're doing with security, but you know we are reacting to that, taking it very seriously.
Speaker 3: And getting the help that the local.
Speaker 2: The Springfield police and law enforcement needs in that community. It's a sad thing that we have very very sick people, are very evil people who think that it's really funny to pick up the phone and say that a bomb's going to go off in a Springfield school. Uh. And then you know, people have to we have to go in and have great caution, you know, make sure that that is that is not true. And the other thing, we're putting more We're putting more highway patrol in and we're going to continue.
Speaker 1: To need other And the other thing is you may not be aware of this, but there are numerous schools, high schools in Cincinnati that cannot have high school football games tonight because of all the shots being fired around Tafft High School and North College Hill. That it is not safe in Cincinnati to go to a high school football game. I'm sure derrel lix uh and mentally deranged individuals may want to cause more havoc. Think it's funny to call in a bomb threat or to say I'm gonna shoot up in school. What's happening all the time in America? Which is said on the issue of Google of geese and dogs and cats. Of course, we've I've seen the nine one one calls. You've probably heard them too about about the geese being tracked down. But politically, instead of focusing on the issues that you just discussed, the mainstream media wants to talk about dogs and cats being barbecued instead of the deeper divide. Can you put the rest of the idea that cats and dogs and geese are being killed for their flesh.
Speaker 3: Here's here's what we know.
Speaker 2: There's no we have no avidanche that angus eating a dog or a cat in Springfield O file. I mean that just just just absolutely zero, zero zero evidence of that. What we do have is, you know, we went back, We've checked all the things that Hire Department nactual resources.
Speaker 3: Of course, a goose is a wild animal.
Speaker 2: These are Canadian geese. We're talking about there as somebody. Yeah, these are.
Speaker 3: Geese that are out you know, in part and doing what these do with parts.
Speaker 2: Uh. There's two reports. One report was March. One report was August that saw someone in Springfield carrying in one case, they're putting two geese down into a bag. Uh.
Speaker 3: In another case, they're carrying what appeared to be dead gets along. Those were the reports that came in.
Speaker 2: One was anonymous. Therefore we couldn't run it down. Impossible to run it down. Uh. The other one, uh, the High Department National Resources tried to run down, tried to reach a person who left a name, but the phone no one ever ever ever picked up the phone. So we have no way of knowing, you know, if those were true or not. They very well made be true, like we just you know, we just don't know. But those are the only two reports. And again these are these.
Speaker 3: Are wild geese and you know, look you out of season, and that would be it would be illegal.
Speaker 2: And the High Departmentational Resources, you know, if they found the person who was doing it would have prosecuted.
Speaker 1: Now and it's so fair to say that it's really fair to the people of whether it's Ada, Lima, Cedarville, or Springfield, to have this thrust upon them and the taxpayers are picking up all the expenses directly or indirectly. It's not fair to them that they're thrust into the national limelight being called races and other names because of the color of these immigrants. Would you agree with that statement, absolutely?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Look, this is what we have. Ultimately, you have to look at the big picture here. We ultimately have to get control of the border. And this has not happened, and you know, it is poorous and we see all the problems on the border, and now we see you know, you're seeing those those challenges come.
Speaker 3: Certainly come come to Ohio. So we have to do two things. It's easy to.
Speaker 2: Say, I guess it's not about DC because they haven't been done yet. But we've got to get.
Speaker 3: Control of the border. And once we get control of the border, then we have to have.
Speaker 2: A rational discussion about you know, who comes into this country legally and who does not come into this and that's but but we never can have that really that debate for that discussion when we have a forest border and everyone is so you know, very legitimately concerned about the fact that we're not stopping people at the border, and so we never get to the real discussion that we should be able to have for the benefit of the United States.
Speaker 1: And Governor, would you agree that there's one candidate running for the presidency that wants to stop this program and there's another candidate that wants to make it bigger. So therefore Trump says enough is enough. Kamala Harris says, bring it on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, I think I think Bill, the majority of people in the polls show GUS agree that Trump would be stronger with the border. They agree that you would be stronger when the economy. They agree he would be stronger in regard to the inflation issue. So I mean those are three big, big, big, big issue.
Speaker 1: All right, Governor, I know you're on their way somewhere, hopefully Clark Clark County is not fair.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Williams County, Williams, Williams by Lucas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it's it's further on. It's further on.
Speaker 2: It's the west west corner of the state. It Frand and I are heading up there to help them celebrate their.
Speaker 1: B We's see if you can find some Haitians in Williams County. That's that's west to Lucas County. But Governor thanks for coming on. And we're thrusting the problems that we didn't cause, but we have to solve. And Governor DeWine, thank you for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show. Thank you, Mike you, thank you, God bless you. Let's continue. And by the way, fran did pay off the cherry pie she lost. There you heard it, your comments. Bill Cunningham with you every day. You're home of the Reds. News Radio seven hundred w l W