Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast Network.
Speaker 2: H H, Hello and welcome to another Thursday here with Chat Stalwarts. Mister Daniel Simonar, How are you doing? I'm doing good man, How are you doing?
Speaker 3: It's been a hell of a week. I've got a lot of that stuff. I spent most of my week in California going through a lot of hell. But let's let's talk about the house I did I I. Yeah, we'll get into that just a minute. What what been up with you? What's what's new? Inner life?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: When's the lot? When did I stream last with you?
Speaker 2: Oh? Gosh, last time? January thing? Uh yeah, January sixteenth?
Speaker 4: Wow, okay, so almost exactly five months ago and one day.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 4: I don't know, yeah, man, just been busy and everything like that. Started my eBay channel, eBay eBay store, which I had been procrashating out for a very long time working writing. I've got like I paused my not my newest novel to like write a short story right so, which has been got put on pause because I've been getting a lot of thank you, Ronnie, even though Ronnie was like, I don't know who the Sivenar person is, so I see your comments. My sister got me that's actually for Christmas. So yeah, I've been busy with that. And as we talked about earlier, getting jacked for June, I've got just over two weeks left meet jacked for June. Might actually go running in the park with my shirt off for the first time my entire life, which good luck everyone else, because I may be in shape, but I'm also still the shade of miracle whip, so I like people can get blinded looking at my my skin zone hundred this shirt, this is tan compared to what is under here.
Speaker 2: I got some burd on Saturday, so I totally feel that.
Speaker 4: I see a little bit of this. Yeah, yeah, oh yeah, there's.
Speaker 2: No Yeah, your was peeling and I did have sunscreen on. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It just sweat. You gotta get the sweat resistant one.
Speaker 2: Otherwise, when you are the shade of toilet paper, it is rather difficult to protect yourself.
Speaker 4: My friend, you are Puerto Rican compared to me like.
Speaker 2: That at the moment, just because I have proper lighting.
Speaker 4: But no, I am I am. You can see I am translucent on that thing that they hold up in the classroom in high school to be like and this is how the human circulation works, Like when they need to draw blood. It's like they're so happy, like ooh ooh.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 4: You need to you need to cause at some poce so we can hear this. This, this story of you getting arrested.
Speaker 3: I would love to hear the story of Stan getting arrested just because the shirt came off.
Speaker 4: I want to know which of the times it is, because I just it's not just one.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, uh. You want to go straight into pickups and then we can do stories and stuff after that.
Speaker 4: Sure, Remember I got a big stack of thick boys this time. He First off, I got my your favorite movie of all time amazing. It went down to twenty bucks on Amazon, and I'm amazed. I still, I mean, only by the good grace of fifty fucking versions of this movie is the lenticular still available right any other time I'd be out of lot. But I got that. I got this. I'mfortunate. I missed the pre order because I thought it was gonna be a little bit longer to wait for it, and I ended up paying my ten percent tariff on Orbit. So I got that one. I've been very busy, So those are open. These ones are not open. I'm not a poser, I swear, I'm just busy. I had that chance to watch anything. Got my copy of The Beyond, my limited edition of The Beyond. I also got this. I don't know if you've ever heard of it.
Speaker 2: I have because it's on the top of my pickup.
Speaker 3: Look at this gorgeous release for somebody that's not eating in the chat tonight. Craig Rogers, damn it, beautiful release of inflatable sext All of the Wastelands.
Speaker 4: I gotta I gotta give Craig a little bit of pushback. They did it. He did not hyphenate the name of the channel on your credits.
Speaker 3: Uh well that, but the credit is changing soon anyway, so I'll give them a pace.
Speaker 4: The disc blank connected. It's not connected. Ryan's literally not connected now, so it's all's advertising. I got myself House of the.
Speaker 2: Devil, good stuff.
Speaker 4: I'm also to day on my my tie West. And then of course this this beautiful thing right here.
Speaker 2: I I kind of wish I could.
Speaker 4: I could have gotten the film cells, but I also don't need like ten foot large lobby cards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially when you're in a New York apartment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. Well, the thing is, I'm glad we got the hard box now. But then it's like the trailer. It's like if we got a film cell and it's a blue case, so and what is it a blue Oh? Yeah yeah that I At first I was like, did I order wrong thing? Blue case? That's weird because it's a pretty dark box. You would think the black case. So that's says they're new. It's fine. But I also was like, I bet you I get the film cell, it's gonna be like someone's elbow. I'm just gonna be like, it's like that the intertellar thing where people look at those like films, like what am I even looking at?
Speaker 2: Like, it'll be the frame right after the title, so it'll just be blank exactly.
Speaker 4: Mine, my intertellar little frame is like the it was not a test ract, that's Marvel. What what's the what's the tortoise? What's the name of the damn thing? Ryan, don't let you know.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't even isn't it tars tars tars?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Tartis or tars or tartises is doctor who anyway? Yeah, so yeah tars. So yeah, it's just like like a straight ahead of like Chars's crotch and it's like you can't tell what it is anyway, Where was I tarss crotch?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Pase, yes, yes, so that's that. Those are most of my big up. I mean, I go through Deep Discount I know you hate them, but you know, and a Hamilton book. You know you get you know, things for cheap and you know, yeah, I get that, but again nothing I'm gonna like I found the perfect storm out of the thrift story yesterday.
Speaker 2: I'm not going what do you get?
Speaker 4: Oh? Sorry, when one I got this, I got this.
Speaker 2: Words right out of my mouth.
Speaker 3: My stuck just came today, yeatrons and subscribers will be getting these milled out to them tomorrow. This is a big deal because in the bottom corner shouted out first, it says, in this issue Cardboard Wars, which was written by the one only mister Sidner, here the featured article in this film.
Speaker 4: Man, I love that, but you know where it comes from. But that cardboard that the cardboard robots, I love that.
Speaker 3: Hey, we get a question from Ronnie. Ronny wants to play some of your stuff so if you.
Speaker 4: Find you eat it, oh, I'll tell you the name right now. I'm thinking of changing it is basically because it's also the name of my buying name. So it's I set this thing up like back in twenty nineteen. It's Dan sib sixty three. It will be changed at some point, but if you favored it, I'm sure it'll just evolve around you, because I was thinking of using the name like one one collector to another. So basically, I'm trying to really focus on the fact that, you know, we've all ordered on eBay and Amazon other places and it comes like smashed or whatever it is. So I'm really or like someone says, it's like new and the corners of the slipcover are dinged up and stuff like that. So I pride myself on saying very like macro shots at the corners and everything, and literally highlighting every single possible detail and sending in a hard box to the bubble wrap and all that stuff, and really, you know, treating it like a collector. I'm not just like some dude at a warehouse. It's just like looks like no, I don't care, right right, who collects are?
Speaker 3: That's a I don't give a perfect impression of the people that you're talking about in your article. Actually, so everybody go check this out, the newest issue of the Physical Media Advocate, featuring one mister Daniel Sibner and all kinds of other stuff.
Speaker 4: Great, great, I love it. I you have to read the whole thing, but it's a great issue.
Speaker 3: Pieces on Stanley Kubrick, mullholland Drive, Lewis Costa Junior, a wonderful piece on the Stuntman from one of the patrons vance.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: It's for some reason, this is weird to say about the magazine that you put out this month. Feels like extra I don't know, professional, it feels.
Speaker 2: It feels like a real.
Speaker 4: No, I know what it is about it, but I think I'm really good.
Speaker 3: No, not me, le it's mostly stand speaking of He says, how about that cover. This is done by one of dance friends, mister Ron Winnick.
Speaker 4: It's given me grunge nineties right, and I love it like skater vibes.
Speaker 2: It is so incredible and simply yeah, like I stuff.
Speaker 3: I gotta check make sure this is gonna work. Okay, that is gonna work.
Speaker 2: So other pickups.
Speaker 3: You and I talked about recently through text about fun City and they're wonderful. Welcome to fun City released, but we finally got there're two newest ones in falling in Love with de Niro and little known actress Meryl Streep. She suld probably have a good prompting career coming up.
Speaker 2: And then the.
Speaker 3: One I'm most excited about. Gorgeous art on this one.
Speaker 4: I do like that last one. The last cover is not.
Speaker 3: Going it's I get what they're going for, and I appreciate the style. I feel like that would have worked better simply as the inner art, not as a slipcover.
Speaker 2: Maybe for me is like hit or miss.
Speaker 4: It's like sometimes it's like Ooh, I really really want to get that, and other times I'm like you went right over my head. It's a little cinematograph or Cinematograph is a little fun City.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could see that.
Speaker 3: And then finally, this is like the classiest pickup of the last couple of weeks for me, that seems to be selling out everywhere pretty much the moment that it comes out. That is the Bikini car Wash Company Number one and two.
Speaker 2: Have you yet? No? Literally just got it today? I need to know how it looks. I hope it's decent. Oh, I hope. I'm assuming it's probably not going to be increasing.
Speaker 4: A new edition of FREAKD is coming out. I don't know who's doing it.
Speaker 3: Is Umbrella is going to be doing a four day out of Australia, yes, and there will likely be a US release as well, and maybe even UK.
Speaker 2: We shall find out.
Speaker 3: So a couple of stories about the week before we get into recent watches. This last weekend, I took my whole family to California. My kids had never been on a plane, so we flew out last Friday for the first time ever. We planned on seeing Stand Friday night and then Saturday was going to be like a nostalgia trip for my kids. Every morning during breakfast they tell us, me and my wife to tell them stories from our childhood. They love that for some reason, and so we tell them just random things that we remember, and so we're like, hey, we're gonna go show you where we lived when we were kids, and where we met.
Speaker 2: And all this stuff.
Speaker 3: And it was Barstow, California, which for those that have been in California, No, it's the worst piece of trash ever known to man. It's it was so much worse than I could have prepared for. We'll talk about that in a moment. So Saturday was going to be a nostalgia trip. Sunday was going to be a beach trip and see Craig in the afternoon, Craig from Deaf Crocodile. Monday was gonna be a Disneyland trip. Tuesday was going to be flying home. So we're gonna get to Friday night just a moment. But Saturday, the Barstow trip, not the.
Speaker 4: Story almost forgot and then it's like, oh shit, that happened this week?
Speaker 3: Okay, Barstow trip, everything has gone so much worse than when we lived there. We we've only found like boarded up buildings and houses showing places where we grew up, and my kids like, oh you lived in that house type of talking.
Speaker 2: It was pretty great.
Speaker 3: It was rather rather funny, and now my kids know some things that they can reference when we're telling them stories. Sunday went to the beach for a couple hours in the morning. My wife is the only one that didn't put on sunscreen, but all four of us got burned somehow, and we even put it on more than once, so I don't get it a little bit, but not not after the second application.
Speaker 4: So you gotta get the waterproof.
Speaker 3: Saw Craig. Sunday night we did a place called The Hat. They had incredible PASTROMI thanks Craig. Monday was Disneyland. Both you know, I've talked about this before. Both of my kids have autism, and my oldest also has pretty extreme ADHD, and so we were super worried about waiting in lines all day and we were able to use the Disney Disability Services, so it wasn't like cut to the front of the line, but it was like hold your place in line, and then when it's close, you go up to that point, and it helped incredibly. We pretty much got to go on everything that was everything that you could think of that's a big ride from Disneyland, except for the Matterhorn and It's a Small World. Those were both closed and we didn't do anything in Tunetown. My kids are eight and ten and they were like less excited about that sort of thing, but we.
Speaker 2: Went on everything else.
Speaker 3: I'm not a Star Wars person, but I got to say the new Rise of the Resistance ride at Disneyland the most amazing ride I've ever seen at a theme park. It's not like a thrilling roller coaster, but it was astonishing to see like actual actors on the ride. They it's this incredibly immersive piece where it's like a cross between Star tours and then an actual cart ride, and it was just insanity. I was blown away the production value and it's huge, absolutely monstrous, really really shocking.
Speaker 2: Was that do you do the Marvel stuff you did in the Marvel that's all over in California Adventure.
Speaker 4: The places?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was a blast for sure. I mean we did.
Speaker 3: We did all the Big Ones, Jungle Cruise, we did uh the Haunted Mansion, we did Space Mountain, the Splash Mountain which is now known as Tiana's By You Adventure, and pretty much everything else. My kids loved all of it. They especially loved Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Rise of the Resistance. They were quite happy with all of those. Uh, but that's Disney the big thing though, Friday Night. So, uh, this is gonna be a little bit of a long, angsty story, and we're gonna have some commentary from Dan through some of this, because it's kind of gonna be a hilarious commercial for something else.
Speaker 2: Friday night. It's a commercial for me, not from you. Friday night.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: We go to Stan's apartment, we hang out with Stand at his place for a little bit, and we leave, and we had picked up We got to a decent deal through Costco for a mid size SUV that they called like suv Elite or whatever, and it was this Mercedes thing that was I don't need Mercedes Equinox or something like that. I don't know what the model was whatever. We go to get in the car at the car rental place first, and I don't fit in the car. I don't see how to put the seatback. I'm so tall that we had to find the controls for it. And it's got the little button on the side that you would think to put the seatback. Laura, who's in the chat now, my wife, she points out that she thinks it was on the door, and turns out yes, the controls are on the door, which is super weird.
Speaker 2: So I finally get in.
Speaker 3: We get all the luggage in the back and load it up, and we go to Stand's place. After we go to in and out for the first time, and I hang out with stand for a little while. We leave, and Laura says, hey, we should we should get the kids electronics out of the back and give those to them, because it's gonna be like an hour and a half long trip to my aunt and uncles who we were gonna be staying with. And so we pull over and get those out of the back and hand it to them and get going. And I take the first turn and as I'm turning, I see the hatch that my wife went to the back to grab some stuff out of our trunk. Hatch is open in my rearview mirror, like, oh, what the hell? So I get out and say, oh, it didn't close when you were back there, closed it. We get on the highway. We go about a mile and a half down the road. Suddenly I get an air tag notification on my phone that says laptop bag no longer with you. So I pull over on the freeway after driving a mile and look in the trunk and my laptop bag is gone. It turns out when she went to get the electronics and push the button to close the hatch, it did not shut all the way, and my entire laptop bag was gone.
Speaker 2: And so I call stan.
Speaker 3: He couldn't figure out where I was talking about where this may have happened. So I go to the next exit, which is like another two miles down the freeway, do a full YouTube, and after waiting for the light and all that, so I get back like eight minutes later, can't find anything, and I realized, well, it's an air tag. You can go find the location by looking it up. And I was freaking out at this point, and go to find where the air tag was and it's dark, pitch black, can't see anything, and it had just hit like it was just after dusk. If it was ten minutes earlier, we would have been able to see everything, would have been easier.
Speaker 2: Pull up to the corner where we.
Speaker 3: Took that turn, and we saw the door start to open, and there's this black pile in the street, and I pull over and get out and I grab what I can and go to the grass and I drop it all and literally lay in the grass and start crying.
Speaker 2: Immediately.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about why in just a second, but I'm like totally lost. Then I realized I'm still like hearing things in the road. I stand up and from there I see Laura's laptop actively being ran over by cars on a very busy road in the middle of the street. Other like electronics, other random bits from this thing. We'll talk about the laptop bag in just second. It is so crazy because I'm standing there watching literally about thirty plus cars run over my wife's laptop, and so I go to grab it out of there, and I pull everything to the grass, and it is crazy. We get to my aunt's house later, we'll talk about what was in there. This is my wife's laptop now and pulling it out of the wreckage. This is my laptop now.
Speaker 2: Completely folded in half obliterated. And in this bag. Not only was it's you know, these computers, it was all of our chargers, the tablet's chargers for my two kids, my wife's Nintendo switch charger. My wallet was in there.
Speaker 3: I've got a little magnetic wallet from my phone that I keep my ID and like my health insurance in.
Speaker 2: But everything else was in this wallet. My my keys with like run over everything, my keys, all of our electronics, everything was in there.
Speaker 3: The bag is demolished. It was like inverted, like almost inside out. It was absolute insanity to like pick up this husk of ridiculousness. And at the moment when I was doing this, I had three active visual essays that I was working on for other people, and because they were not approved yet, they were not backed up anywhere in their current state. So it was all gone, absolutely demolished. And when we go on that night to figure out what we have lost, my wife realizes we are also missing a black bat or a blue backpack that has.
Speaker 2: Her Seapat machine in it. Seapat machines for those that don't know, cost about one thousand dollars. Yes, so so that was missing.
Speaker 3: We're like, hey, that probably also fell out of the back. So it is now like ten o'clock pack.
Speaker 4: Was this tron that everything's just flying out?
Speaker 3: It was not packed at all. It was literally just this very slow turn that I took.
Speaker 2: To I mean, like, how did it?
Speaker 4: Like, I mean, I've seen trunks before.
Speaker 3: The what is the problem is the Mercedes push button trunk malfunctioned and did not shut all the way with pushing.
Speaker 4: So like I'm trying to see like how physics wise, like you're driving and just leapt out of the Like I'm thinking that if it was like on an angle, like you had the kids stuff, and it was all stuffed in there, and as you're going, it's just.
Speaker 3: Like nothing was stuffed. That's the crazy part. I don't understand it. It was it was just regular.
Speaker 2: Truck miles an hours like twelve. I'm a pretty safe driver. I don't know.
Speaker 4: It was basically just God going that visual essay sucked.
Speaker 2: All three of them go off.
Speaker 4: I'm stepping in like divine intervention.
Speaker 3: So that night, at like eleven PM, I'm with the last like twelve percent of my iPhone battery because I now do not have a charger, make an appointment for the Apple store that is twenty minutes away for the next evening, and turns out their first appointment is six forty five pm the following day. So I make the appointment, We go to Barstow, we do all this stuff, we come back, and we are there for you know, we'll say three hours I was at the Apple store. We'll cover that in just a minute. But one of the things I want to show is while we're there, this is one of the funniest things I think I've ever seen in an Apple store. Them attempting to get into everything on this computer and it is folded in half on their super nice table that they use at the Apple store.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hilarious.
Speaker 3: As it turns out, my computer had an active hard drive and could turn on. We were able to access the data, however, or not able to access the data. We were able to see that it could turn on because I secure it. There was no way to log into the computer. The touch ID was broken. All the keys are so there's no way to type in a passport. They happened to notice that I was wearing an Apple Watch and they said, hey, do you happen to have the future turned on? Where if you're close enough to your computer, the Apple Watch can unlock it.
Speaker 2: And I said, you know what I do.
Speaker 3: But my Apple Watch has been dead because I don't have a charger for the last twenty four hours, and so we put it on an Apple Watch charger for about four minutes.
Speaker 2: I put it back on.
Speaker 3: Unlock the Apple Watch, and we go to open the computer and we see it on the external display unlock Immediately. Every single file on the computer was still intact, and we saved everything.
Speaker 2: And cloned it up to a brand new laptop.
Speaker 3: I am going to be a walking Apple commercial for the rest of my life. The fact that I wore an Apple Watch and had an air tag is the only reason that every single thing that I put hours and hours and weeks of work into is all saved and on this computer right now. All of those visual essays have been submitted since then. It is amazing that we were able to get this done. It turns out, after watching my wife's computer get ran over by at least thirty five cars, we were able to save that entire computer as well. Somehow, both of these computers were astonishingly in great condition on the inside and was essentially just the casings that were demolished.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, Dallas, he was probably at some point when he texted me he was ready for the logs to come flying out five those station. He's like, just take me now, to take me now.
Speaker 2: I I I was in such a state at the Apple Store. And everybody knows that the Apple Store, like the employees have this, I don't know, like a reputation of being kind of like cold and tech nerdy. I had wanted them walk up to me, they go, I've been watching you for like an hour, Just are are you okay? And I was like, no, no, I'm not not even a little bit because we didn't know if anything was gonna be rescued yet, Like this cost us a ton of money.
Speaker 3: We lost a lot of money on this, and we're we're trying to get something from the rental car company because it's a malfunction on their trunks part. But it is so crazy that we were able to get everything back. I again, I will be talking the the the praise on Apple for a long time. And I know it's weird and a lot of people think that Apple fans are a cult and all that stuff, but all reality, to have a computer that you know, on one night you are literally seeing it folded in half like this, and the fact that you are on that computer accessing every single final, every single file the next day is wild.
Speaker 4: At the end of every visual essay is now just like like it's like a slideshow of your your broken computer with the Sarah mclachlins, I was like in the d.
Speaker 2: On the three that I turned in, I should put a little disclabor at the end. Rescued from the La Asphalt. Yes, that that is the end of the Apple story. It was a wild weekend. I was in a massive depression from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I called Stan the moment I was back in the car and uh Stan was so happy because Stan felt bad because it was right after his uh his house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it cost a ton of money, but everything is here.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, before he actually told me the story, of course, I'm like texting about random TM was like why they changed the release state for this movie or whatever? It's I have something of that nature, some of that, like like, man, I can't enter my credit card number to shout what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Yeah I was? It was so wild and again on a family vacation where we're going to Disney, no phone chargers, no Apple watch charger, no tablet chargers for the kids. None of that there.
Speaker 4: Was that wasn't in the backseat with the kids. It's crazy that you You're like, they're not gonna eat chargers to play into like the cigarette lighter or something like.
Speaker 3: It weren't because they weren't on there before then. It was gonna be about an hour drive. It should have been totally fine.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're your kids. I'm just saying, why would you rest I just.
Speaker 3: Side show says, too bad it wasn't an Apple cup. Give them a few years, they'll catch up. Oh man, So yeah, that that was my weekend. I will say the visual essays that were turned in for this are kind of incredible, and when they do get announced, I will mention those that were involved. One of the things on top of the visual essays that was not saved and I had to rescue the following day, so it was a day late. Is an interview with my friend Travis Foley. I was about halfway through editing that interview that went up this week. We'll we'll talk about that a little bit when we talk about Odyssey Movies. Is one of the announcements. But let's talk about some recent watches. Dan, what are you been watching?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Well, as I look up what I've been watch because I always just completely leave my head at this point, Friendship is just the funniest movie I've seen a long long time. I don't know how wide it's playing right now, but it is within the first thirty seconds it sets the tone and from that point on, and I mean literally thirty second I don't mean it like exagger that's not hyperble like thirty seconds in.
Speaker 2: It's like.
Speaker 4: The whole audience is laughing hysterically thirty seconds in, and then for the next hour and a half hour of whatever it was. There's no downtime, there's no like, oh they could have cut that. It's just you're laughing every single scene.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 4: If you like dark Calmedy, if you like Cringey, dark humor, you will love this movie. It is Tim Robinson and.
Speaker 2: Is it quite Tim Robinson?
Speaker 4: I had never I was not familiar with Tim Robinson, but when I saw him, I was like, only he can do this because he's so this person like this is like no one else can deliver this type of like awkwardness.
Speaker 2: And then at all you've never seen I think you should leave on No, no, no, I have not, so I don't look at me like that, sir. Did you not see my fucking pile of cinema?
Speaker 4: I watched them one man and one Man, one man, so everyone sugar, and I am just one man. I saw Thunderbolts. I'm not gonna say you need to watch I think you should leave. Okay, thank you, Ronnie. I will I will check it out and say I wouldn't check it out. I won't say much about I'll just call Thunderbolts Thunderbolts, and I'm not gonna say much else about that, but I enjoyed it. Was really impressed by the set because I really thought they shot it in New York. I was like that, I've been on that street. I know exactly what that was. I walked by all the time. And then I saw on on Florence Pugh's Instagram, like a photo of them shooting. I'm just like, they built that. Yeah, that is incredible. That is incredible. I saw the shrouds, which was laughably bad. I know everyone's like on Redd, It's like, I actually really love it.
Speaker 2: It's versus it is so polarizing.
Speaker 3: Everybody's saying like it's the best of his work or it's the worst.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 4: Is it a comedy. If it's a comedy, kudos, And I get it then because it's like a room level acting. Because he Vincent Cassell. English is not his native language. I've never seen a movie maybe maybe Derailed, but he doesn't have his many lines. He's not the star of the movie, like he's the star of this movie. And he's clearly phonetically figuring out these lines that they are so stilted that it feels like I'm watching the room. It felt like I was watching her. I was laughing at Star Going. I'm like, I can't help it. It's just that this is so weird and bad, and I'm like, Kronerberg is French Canadian, like like why not just have Cassell speak French and and and.
Speaker 2: Put some titles in.
Speaker 4: But it's just bizarre and it's just not if you love it great, I'm not who am I to tell someone to not.
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 4: I love Kronerberg as well. It's like I was really looking forward to this from what I had heard about it and then but the plot is like Cronenberg you know, I enjoyed that the most hard Cronenbergian Kronbergian, but it's just not his his his you know, his degree like red hot period where and again I'm gonna take that opportunity to say the fly four K, what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Where we where is that?
Speaker 4: At Saw Warfare, which was good, but it just felt like someone just took a twenty five, made a chunk of black Hawk down and decided to make it into a movie. And I get that it's like really kind of like doing in real time, but the way it was shot didn't feel like something I hadn't seen before. I'm like, oh, okay, yeah, yeah, this is is good, but it's not. It didn't feel innovative. There was nothing to be like, right, you know, really like if you remember, did you ever see what's the s Mende's Gulf War movie again?
Speaker 2: A jar Head?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, there's moments in jar Head where they're like in like these gas nests in the Middle East, and.
Speaker 2: It's just like.
Speaker 4: And you feel like the sweat, like you feel how close Rehobe is to be in this mask.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Like I was like, oh, that's a cool way of like showing it. But there was nothing about this where I was like, oh, what an interesting way to do this.
Speaker 2: It was good, but again, uh.
Speaker 4: And then of course sinners and I've had to get into like people who have like these like you know, hot takes, Like I thought it was a little cheesy at times, and I'm just like, I'm not gonna argue with you. I'm gone down this road before I was there Titanic. I was there with every big movie that comes out, someone's going and you know what the problem is, You're allowed your opinion. I just yeah, there's always that like everyone loves it. I don't get what everyone loves I walked to that movie a different person. Yeah, like really really like the only of the time I the last time I can think about that happening to me is Whiplash, where I was like doing this. I was actually drumming in the air with the movie and when it was over, when it re reached that that really that peak, that crescendo, and it hit the uh like a cut right to the credits.
Speaker 2: I went, I did this because I was just old.
Speaker 4: Palms and it was like, yes, I walked out of that with that song playing in cinner as I went, I'm I'm seeing the world a different way, and yeah, that's all. Again, it's not my favorite movie, but it just everything is so intentional in the movie. Everything is so like Ryan Cooper's like, this is what I want to.
Speaker 3: Do, and I felt that I today had a doctor's appointment, and of course the doctor at one point says, so any exciting plans for the night, and I'm I'm too earnest, and so I couldn't just be like no, I'm like, well, I get a live show tonight, and so we start talking about that a little bit and then she goes, well, I'm a movie person too. Did they follow that up with did you see Thunderbolts. And I was like yeah, And I was like, but I mean, really, I can't stop thinking about sinners.
Speaker 2: She goes, oh, I've heard that's good. Like, come on.
Speaker 4: Right, this is bad then a bad prognosis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I get it. I I don't know. I did. I did. It's uh.
Speaker 3: Laura laughed quite hard because it was not a point of negotiation. I said, we're seeing it on Friday night in imax. You don't have a choice.
Speaker 4: How big is your imax?
Speaker 2: It's uh, it's the one that we go to is pretty decent because it's the uh it's a MC headquarters, it's the corporate.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, yeah, it's because mine's like the Lincoln Square one is like I feels like three or four stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty it's a pretty decent one. Yeah, because when ring that change in the moment.
Speaker 3: Dude, I when it happened, I literally inhaled and did not breathe for like eight seconds. Afterwards, I was like, you know, everybody always talked about.
Speaker 2: The Dark Knight and Christopher Nolan's use in the Dark Knight, right, No, you mean watching it in this film was genuinely like cinemat life changing it was. This is why different formats are.
Speaker 4: Useful sometimes for everything. Right when who shoots on Imax, there's moments where I'm like, why that's shot? Yeah, why do you need that in Imax? And then sometimes I'll be like, yeah, absolutely yeah. But sometimes it's like that was this random? Okay, you just tell you on the day, it's like, puts this in Imax.
Speaker 3: Williams says, Lincoln Center is the biggest in the country, so I can't compete with you.
Speaker 4: Well, when you come to visit, I'm gonna take you to the Lincoln Center location.
Speaker 2: Can you get them to show Centers again?
Speaker 4: I mean they're re releasing it. I'm probably going to be playing at some point down the line.
Speaker 3: So this week, obviously we were gone for like four days. So the only thing I got to watch this week that I can talk about I showed my well, I tried to show both kids, but only showed my oldest child today and my wife for the first time, even though she loves Tim Burton Pee Wee's Big Adventure, that's the first time anybody else in the house has seen it.
Speaker 2: And I freaking love that movie. He has scared me my whole life.
Speaker 3: I adore everything about it. I laughed pretty much the entire time. Still, that movie is hilarious to me. I don't understand how my child just giggled at large March and the jump scare scene. I I hope he loved it. When it got over, he said this was a great movie. So I hope that's a memorable time for him at least. But man, it is going to be the year of pee Wee. I mean, we've got that documentary coming out like next week. I think we've got big top TV. Sorry, I couldn't hear anything over your wall collapsing.
Speaker 4: I was like, and then you showed him. Paul Rubin's uh.
Speaker 2: No, that he can be twelve for that one.
Speaker 3: Big top pee wee later this year. You know, there's so much happening. I cannot wait to see, you know, more people discover peewee stuff.
Speaker 2: It's been it's been a great time for Paul. Just pre him so much. All right, forty minutes in you're ready talking about it.
Speaker 4: Just quickly the Wave, because Wave is mentioning Interstellar seventy moliment or Imax was like it was, but even more so gravity in Imax with the DTX or whatever the audio that literally sucking the sound out of like the room. That was like I was like that that, this is amazing.
Speaker 3: Only the Imax film screenings have a projectionist Lincoln Center.
Speaker 4: Which is funny that you mentioned that, because the one other movie I had on my list I had seen was The Amateur and the first time I saw it, the projection went dead at like twenty minutes in set off the fire alarm, whether intentional or not, everything cuts off and they could not get a reset. I'm like, projections, cantest go back up there? I can see it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is none. Yeah, rest is done remotely, says Brian Thing. Okay, okay, yeah, Big Adventure is the best.
Speaker 4: Spider Man three back in the day at four thirty in the morning. Now they could get away with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The round the clock showings. Oh oh, folks.
Speaker 4: Well, if you'd like hot dogs for a dollar, we got to throw these things out.
Speaker 2: It's now six fifteen am. All right.
Speaker 3: I know that you've you had some rants to talk about this weekend, and you want to talk about it.
Speaker 4: We might be able to get to the rants. Well, and unrelated to movie ran I just gotta say I anyone's going out to Starbucks and they are on that spicy falafel raptis. You know, it is the size of like a fucking post it note. So you see that five dollars and fifty cent price tag, You're getting nothing. I just want to put that out of the way there.
Speaker 2: But also Starbucks, huh, but also don't support Starbucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get my office. My other rant is going to relate. It's all wait until we get to that, and i'll.
Speaker 3: Uh random shout out rest in peace. Jodn Baker, who's been in a ton of incredible films passed way today.
Speaker 2: Uh, has you know, done everything.
Speaker 3: From all kinds of James Bond work to Final Justice that was put out on MVD, rewind Too, Wacko from Vinegar Syndrome, and a ton of other films in between.
Speaker 2: I think in the movie that he was in, I think he's.
Speaker 3: In the Pack, Uh that I helped edit some stuff for for Screen Factory. Incredible movie. Yeah, great, great, great stuff. Jodn Baker was underappreciated.
Speaker 4: He was in was he even Blues Brothers? Was like GoldenEye. Yep, he was in GoldenEye. That's what I just fought recently, Okay, gotcha.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all I got.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you wanna do you wanna jump into announcements?
Speaker 2: I don't, but I guess we can.
Speaker 4: Some other stuff I can do. I can do book corner when you just talk about this.
Speaker 2: We can talk about your book, my book.
Speaker 4: I mean we can we can talk my book. It is physical media related, so we could do that. I could just read the last twenty pages of Market Surrelius that I've been reading.
Speaker 3: Uh, Walking Tall, absolutely, Steff, you know, all right, let's get into some of these announcements.
Speaker 2: Then, right, let's do it. Uh.
Speaker 3: We started off with our second round of Imprint announcements last week.
Speaker 2: Imprint they put up so many titles. Uh, the fact that we had like a full slate and then they're like, come back tomorrow for some four K hard bocks hours later. Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: We also have, you know, Imprint Asia that they do every other couple of weeks, and then everybody forgets via Vision, who we're going to talk about tonight is the parent company for Imprint, so it's all coming from the same place.
Speaker 2: Uh. And yeah we did.
Speaker 3: We did not get Criterion announcements today, were hopefully getting them tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Ronnie. They knew I was streaming and they said no, no, no, we'll wait.
Speaker 2: And you were really looking forward to it too, I was.
Speaker 4: I thought I was gonna get I thought I was gonna get a second Sight announcement, and I didn't. I was kind of disappointed.
Speaker 2: We get to talk about their delay.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we do.
Speaker 2: It's what a comment so you say about John Voights break, Yeah, I agree?
Speaker 4: Oh oh yeah, I'll go to say right, ok.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: First up, July thirty four k from Imprint in Australia, Midnight Cowboy. This is Dustin Hoffman and John Voights in this undisputed classic, making his worldwide debut on four KUHD with Dolbey Vision. This has a new commentary by Matthew Aspery Gear. We've got an archival commentary from Jerome Hellman. We've got all kinds of archival extras on their second disc here and then the third disc is a documentary called Desperate Soul's Dark City in the Legend of Midnight Cowboy from twenty twenty two. This has some extended interviews as well as a trailer. Deza looking release for this moving. I'm glad that it's coming out into a package like this.
Speaker 4: I mean this and plus what the other two titles we're going to be talking about. It feels like we're probably going to get a Criterion work at some point on the line.
Speaker 3: I would not be surprised. Yeah, this is one that would make a lot of sense.
Speaker 4: I actually kind of like the Criterion cover art for Midnight Cowboy. It's got a oh, who's the guy did Hitchcock stuff?
Speaker 2: Help me out here, I remember his name.
Speaker 4: I understand those Sam, I'm looking for you. I'm looking for you. Who did the titles for for for Hitchcock? Come on, Salba, Sorry, I mean but the little circles and stuff like that reminds me of Doctor Now, so I had that retro thing. But I do like the original art here and in case it doesn't know, it's the only X rated movie everyone best picture.
Speaker 2: Incredible. Yeah. Next up is In the Heat of the Night, an Australian four K. They're saying this is in HDR Dolby Vision for the first time worldwide. It turns out Australia doesn't pay attention to Germany. It definitely had a German release with HDR and vision. But either way, this looks like a nice package. They're saying that this is a new Dolby Vision, new HDR ten. This is honestly probably the first time it was properly graded for Dolby Vision and HDR ten. But yes, it was released with some sort of Dolby Vision and HGR ten over in Germany. This one has no new extras on this whatsoever. There's all kinds of archival stuff on that Blu ray disc. However, there's an exclusive booklet with new essay by Travis Woods, as well as full color photographs and production information. So I'm glad that is coming out. It's a great movie.
Speaker 4: Obviously, I didn't see does this include this? Is this including they call me insertives?
Speaker 2: No? Just the first film? Gotcha? Gotcha? Got it? Yeah? I mean it would make uh, it would make a lot or sense if.
Speaker 3: They did it as a full package kind of like Kino did, but at the same time it was imprint.
Speaker 2: It would be a box this thick with the cages.
Speaker 4: For each fil I mean, I feel like they could do like two They've done two am ray cases together in a box, right, that's not a box set.
Speaker 2: Yes they have, but it's imprint.
Speaker 3: I mean, even this one one release of the film with the Blu ray and four K is.
Speaker 2: Is a box set, so I gotcha. Okay, that was kind of jesting with how much they throw on separate discs.
Speaker 4: Funny when they when they show the I guess the mock up or whatever it is. The books are always portrayed as a hard bound book, like the spine looks like a hard bound book.
Speaker 3: You'll always certainly not always, they they do have like on this one, it probably is actually gonna be a hard band book.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I was gonna say sometimes they do, like Second Site makes them look like hardbound book, and I'm like, it's a it's a perfect bound book.
Speaker 2: For most of them.
Speaker 3: Yes, but even Second has done quite a few hardbound as well.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I'm just saying, like, like overall, like by default, I seem to notice it. It's always presented as a as a hard time YEP.
Speaker 3: Next one from that is Malcolm X. This is, uh, you know, for many people, this is the best Spike Lee film.
Speaker 2: Might be that for me.
Speaker 3: Incredible film coming out four K from Imprint. We've got a new commentary by Odie Henderson on this that will be on the four K disc.
Speaker 2: And over on the Blu Ray. We have a lot coming in this.
Speaker 3: We got two Blu rays because of all the amount of special features. There is an interview with the production designer when Thomas. That sounds like an incredible interview.
Speaker 2: There is a featurette including interviews with Caroen Allen and David Patrick Kelly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is this is an amazing movie. I mean it's Malcolm X. This has been talked about to death. There's not much else I can.
Speaker 4: Does this have that full documentary that was on the studio and I believe it was on the Criterion, so originally only the digibook came with it.
Speaker 2: It was a second disc. Oh yeah, it is the making of Malcolm X doc from two Yes.
Speaker 4: Because when the am ray came out in the studio, they took the disc away yep, and then they reissued it for for Criterion. I do love I mean again, Imprint is not my by not even close to my favorite label. But I do appreciate that they go with the original artwork.
Speaker 2: Yeah on pretty much everyone.
Speaker 4: Some some some new artwork is always nice, like it's very done well, but I just there's something about this, Like I absolutely remember the poster, so it's like yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it would hurt to not have it on a box like this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well like that they have his face that that poster specifically on the box and then the am ray has only two minors. This is the cover art that they used for the Terrence Blanchard score because I have the CD and that's the the just the black and the silver.
Speaker 3: Xes for that great film. Check it out if you haven't seen it. Arrow put out a video where they said that these are upgrades coming soon from Aero Video. So these are all coming to four KUHD. I'm gonna run through the list real quick. We have Thief from nineteen eighty one, Mona Lisa from eighty six, to Live in Die In LA from eighty five, Creep Show two from eighty seven, Night Breed from nineteen ninety, raw Head Rex from eighty six, The Apartment from nineteen sixty, The Visitor from nineteen seventy nine, and The Sadness from twenty twenty one. We already knew about the Sadness in that Shutter deal. But the big thing here there are so many people in the comments that were not understanding that aerow has never, ever, not even once released a four K for something in a country that already had that film on four K, So you can already glean from this list what the releases are gonna be like for you. So Thief is not getting released in the US, this is gonna be a four K in the UK. Mona Lisa is gonna be the UK only. To Live In Die In La will be UK only. Creep Show two will likely be US and UK because it has never had a four K release, so they likely on the rights. That Night Breed UK only, raw Head Rex UK only. The Apartment likely going to be either both or theoretically only UK because that's gone back and forth a couple of times. The visitor Brand New this is gonna be probably both, and then the Sadness, we.
Speaker 2: Already know that's going to be UK only.
Speaker 3: But this is a big deal because now a lot of people can say, oh, it's Criterion Come July, am I gonna want to buy their stuff in the July saal. You might want to wait and pick up the Arrow one because for a lot of people, the endcoding for Arrow is much better, undeniably better than the Criterion endcoding. Not to mention new extra is usually a better package Arrow is, in my opinion at least like a better, better producer of some of these films. So if Criterion and Arrow is releasing the same film, I'm gonna choose Arrow probably ninety eight percent of the time.
Speaker 4: Other than the sadness, I might imagine you can your You're apse even I know than I do. But are all those films around the original Blu rays? Did those all come out around the same period from Arrow? It feels like like that was like right right before I started collecting, because The Apartment came out just as I was starting, and I didn't understand the as far as boutiques, I didn't understand the limited nature. But the others, like I feel like those were all part of the who went on to Radiance like that was part of the Thief. Thief was that was all part of the Arrow Because there was Arrow films, and there was Arrow Aero Academy Academy. I feel like those were Arrow Academy releases.
Speaker 2: Most of these were not they No, most of these were not Aero Academy.
Speaker 4: Was Aero Academy though right, I'm not completely wrong.
Speaker 2: No, Thief was not Aero Academy.
Speaker 3: The Apartment, The Apartment was Aero Academy, and I think Mona Lisa may have been, and I maybe even be wrong about that.
Speaker 4: I thought everything that outside of Horror kind of fell under there, the Woody Allen's and all that was Arrow Academy.
Speaker 3: I mean, Woody Allen definitely was, but no, certainly not everything. Arrow was a little more eclectic than they tended to kind of be all over the place, kind of like they are now. To be honest, I know a lot of people are complaining because they're I mean kind of like all the labels that have gotten big. People are complaining that they're very mainstream. But at the same time, Arrow has always been very like all over the map.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I mean as far as this is concerned. I mean a lot of these are like sale stables or it's like you like Thief is always going to be like that five ten dollars range in during the Arrow sales, like I always see that giant diamond on the sale thing.
Speaker 2: Night Breed.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're probably gonna reissue the same box as before that.
Speaker 2: They seem to be getting away from that a little bit.
Speaker 4: Actually, that's a very popular I didn't a while to get that one, but everyone loves that cover.
Speaker 3: I agree, everybody loves the cover, so they may stick with that one. But even then, that's that's kind of up in the air too, because they're they're got they've gone away from the Aero Academy branding, so they may switch that up entirely.
Speaker 4: And as far as the US is, you know, concerned, I mean will probably four or we already got a four K announcement from Criteria. Yep, got that, and the rest will be what do we got.
Speaker 3: We've already got to Live in die In La, We've already got night Breed, We've already got raw Head res.
Speaker 4: Lisays on Blu ray from Criterion. So they'll probably.
Speaker 2: Maybe four K. The sadness we already have here, you.
Speaker 4: The sadness is just going to be there's like fifteen million versions that they're going to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: That that that released The Apartment from Arrow Academy. The limited edition was maybe other than the original russ Meyer DVD set, like.
Speaker 2: The most impressive thing from Arrow for quite some time.
Speaker 4: I thought Dinny Darko, the original Donay Dargo I think surpasses the new four kN Darco as.
Speaker 2: I came out after the Apartment, though it was. I may be wrong. I may be wrong.
Speaker 4: It's around the same because I remember going to Barns and Ole's back before I was getting boutiques, and I was like, Oh, that's really cool, But do I really like New York of that?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: But that one had those like individually packed things with the hardbound book yep, and same thing with the Apartment had that hard bound book.
Speaker 3: And Brian brings up the Trip to the moonbox. I love that release, that.
Speaker 2: Thing, and uh the release they did of the game around the same time, that was a different shape than normally. Yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 4: Do you like that cover art though?
Speaker 2: For the game?
Speaker 3: I mean, for a film that has so much iconic art, to go the way they did, I didn't love that style.
Speaker 4: It just like a little bit yeah, like it doesn't feel like that new arrish, like like like Fincher didn't feel like a Fincher cover, right, I get that pretty easy to surpassed. I haven't watched on Dirk all the way through in a long long time. I might understand I might be able to follow along a little bit better than I did when I was in my twenties and I was like, what what am I looking at how to have multiple wormholes and droll work.
Speaker 3: This was a long discussion about arrow all that to say, they're operating a lot.
Speaker 4: Of announcements in one Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was a lot.
Speaker 3: And just keep in mind these are not, you know, going longer than the end of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: They say these are coming through the end of this year. This year.
Speaker 3: So that's a lot of stuff on top of other releases that they haven't mentioned yet, and it's gonna be a lot.
Speaker 4: I feel like the sentence will be in the sentence will be like inn October release.
Speaker 2: I mean most likely. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Next up, Cult Epics August twelfth, Blu ray of his motorbike Er Island from nineteen eighty six. This is their first of four Nobodhico Obyashi films that they are putting out. This has an audio commentary by Sam Degan. There is a visual essay by Esther Rosenfield on this called Becoming the Wind. Visual essay by Alex Pratt called Her Island Onomichi Part one. Since they're putting out three more of these releases, there's going to be some other pieces from Alex Pratt on those. There's an archival director Obiyashi archival interview on there new subtitles on this new slipcase art by the one and only Sam Smith, who was in the chat just a few minutes ago. It's up Sam, and then in a reversible sleeve. And then if you get the slip case from the Cult Epics website, which I will happily say right now it is one of the worst websites in the boutique label game say something.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes it is.
Speaker 4: I had one of my brides was gonna be South Factor.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to hear about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is a very specific exclusive slipcover to the website that has the same front and a different back. Check it out. It is really great art. Thanks Sam, you you made the release a lot better.
Speaker 4: I feel like the Sam did this cover art.
Speaker 2: Sam Smith.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's almost because I was. It looked I like it more than the Fun City Edition to Robert de Niro, and but the color tone just made me think of the Fun City Edition covered. But there's more going on exactly, there's more going on that has so much empty space and I.
Speaker 2: Actually, I don't know if you've seen it. I love the back of the slip too.
Speaker 4: That that should be the front that should be the front. The other one is like the back is it's so empty. Yeah, anyway, they're not gonna listen.
Speaker 2: To me, I will. I'm gonna go call Jonathan. Yeah.
Speaker 4: There's so many, so many jokes to be made of, like his motorbike ker Island Like, yeah, I guess you could call him those. I mean, that's one way to refer to the mass. Do we have a price point on this or is this because I've never I've never gotten anything from them.
Speaker 3: It's a regular standard Blu ray release. This will be like twenty four ninety nine unreleased something like that.
Speaker 4: Okay, oh yeah, Ronnie.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: Oh by the way, before I forget Wonder Wonderman Project asked me a question. I've never left the city. So if you ask if I was around, yes, I was around, you just do the map of my age. But I but I specifically do remember. Yes, every time I pass the Two Boots on the Lower East Side, I tell people they use to show midnight showings of Donnie Darko there, and yes you can still go in I believe rent movies from them. There's still a video start and it was actually featured in a Netflix movie. It was a holiday movie and I cannot remember the name of it, but my friend was in it. She plays one of the friends. But it's about like these like it's like star crossed lovers in like love letters. Someone will look it up.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Waves says Keno, and Arrow definitely in the running for worst website design. I Keno's like, I understand that they they falter when there's a sale because they've gotten so popular. Arrows is garbage when there's a sale, because you'll be scrolling through twelve titles, go to the next page, and seven of those twelve or in the next page as well somehow, and you can never see everything. But clearly you've never tried to order from the Cult Epics website. When you're on the Cult Epics website, you click on a title and it takes you to a PayPal checkout scene or site. You can't there's no cart function, you can't add anything else to your order. You can't like look at the item more rather than just choosing.
Speaker 2: To check out. If you click on an item you're taking to checkout, it is the worst idea ever.
Speaker 4: Probably, well, I will see your Cult epics and even when not on a sale, Keno okay, first and foremost, when I scroll to the bottom of the calendar to see what if you do this, I'm just gonna get on my soapbox. And you have known the blame but yourself when here for another hour.
Speaker 2: And that's why I did that.
Speaker 4: You only do a will Lane story. I will go to a Williams story.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: But yes, so ken know when you go just casually, when you go to the bottom, when you go to the bottom of the site, and like you're like, oh cool, I'm gonna okay, and this kind of connects with my other grape about it. But so there's no just tagged it. It's manimal talking about me. You know what, I've seen your fucking face.
Speaker 2: It was so funny.
Speaker 4: Anyways, want you can live up to your first name and.
Speaker 2: Just yikes, go so manable, keep talking. I find it's very funny.
Speaker 4: Uh, don't bring that bold text to the conversation if you don't want some some clap back. So okay, So you go down to the go down to the calendar and you're like, oh, look, this is coming out in June, and you click on the title and there's no add to favorites or add to the wish list. There's no prompt for that on the Keno side. So what I have to do is I have to add it to my cart and then later say remove from card, Like do you want to put it on your wish list or just delete it? I say add to wish lists. I feel like I know what you're going to say. There's a way to tap a certain way that says add to wishless, but I don't know how to get there. It's it's weird. Now here's the other thing. So I go to the calendar, right, and then I hit back to go back to the page. Normally on most websites it'll take you right back to where you were. Instead, it reloads right back to the top, so I have to scroll down and go back to that calendar and go It's just not intuitive.
Speaker 3: It's just not I know this is what you don't want to hear, but I just want to say you're.
Speaker 4: Right about the co host with us.
Speaker 2: No, you're wrong for how you brand.
Speaker 4: You can man slains to me afterwards about how to browse.
Speaker 2: When you know that it doesn't work like that opening a new tab. I'm on my phone by a computer. I got nothing yet. I understand.
Speaker 4: Some of us don't sit our computer all day, Ryan.
Speaker 2: Some of us don't leave them on la streets. Wait, that hurts.
Speaker 3: So that was cold epics and a rant on Keena Lober. Let's keep going, Oh god, how are we following up that with this?
Speaker 4: Hey, guys again, you sound mandible? Is one of these chicken jockey guys throwing popcorn in the theater I'm seeing on the TikTok.
Speaker 2: Wow? This is.
Speaker 4: Also how you know I'm old, by the way. Yes, I don't get what that is at all.
Speaker 2: I mean neither.
Speaker 4: I know you can move green bricks around and build shit like we used to do with some city back in the early two thousand.
Speaker 3: We got a release date for the Minecraft Movie June twenty fourth, four K Steel Book Standard, four K Blu Ray DVD, all coming from Warner Brothers. This is gonna have a Dolby Atmos audio track. It's gonna have a featurette on building the world of Minecraft. It's going to have a featurette on Creeper zombies and Nderman. Okay, a featurette on a Minecraft movie, block beats and pixel pals.
Speaker 2: I don't know what any of these words mean. Hey, if you want it, you can check it out. I'm gonna keep going.
Speaker 3: We talked about second site delays. Talk to me, and the nice guys have been ever so slightly delayed. The nice guys will come out June sixteenth now and talk to me June twenty third. I think this is only a week or two delay for each of these.
Speaker 2: That's like, no big deal.
Speaker 4: The people on reddit hoho Kreiber, just like I was totally about to open it up and watch it that night and not totally put it on my shelf and never watch.
Speaker 2: Time.
Speaker 4: Madel you just finished the Brutal Its.
Speaker 2: Very Yeah, you are correct.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it is easier to order on a celphone rather than a computer. You shouldn't have to do that. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: I will say I'm willing to wait because that the nice guys art is.
Speaker 2: It's great and it's everything I want. It is really great everything.
Speaker 4: It's not even my favorite Shane Black movie. And I was like, nope, ordering.
Speaker 2: July twenty second.
Speaker 3: We talked about this recently, but Keynote, now we know all the details, is releasing a convoy from nineteen seventy eight on four K. On that day, we get a new commentary by Steve Mitchell on this and then a bunch of archival extras that were on the imprint release. So yeah, if you got the imprint, you definitely do not need this keynote. Don't feel compelled to buy both for any reason. But if you've never seen Convoy, it's a pecking pa and they're all at least interesting to watch.
Speaker 2: And yeah, here you go.
Speaker 4: Chris and I kinda got the thing going.
Speaker 2: And you're gonna run very shirt off, so I mean we can uh.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Kuto, mister Simmons' favorite label, Kino releasing the Seven Magnificent Gladiators from nineteen eighty three soon. This is the Luffrigno and Sybil Danning film, directed by Bruno Matai. I have never seen this one, but I've heard this one is great.
Speaker 4: I mean just that look is just I mean, that's like eighties wonderfulness. We want to be Conan the Barbarian, but we're not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was from many of the films.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey, we just talked about this, but you can check out the Physical Media Advocates on Amazon, on the Patreon and a whole bunch of stores.
Speaker 2: Check it out. Yeah, Physical Death Wish three is coming on four K from Keno Lber fairly quickly after Blu Ray releases.
Speaker 3: All the Death Wish films were released. We don't know a release date, but it will have an HGR and Dolby vision Master. For many people, this is their favorite death movie because it is quite not PC. How Charles Bronson are you?
Speaker 4: I've never been a big Charles Bronson fan. Now I will say this. I saw Death Wish five in the theater. That's I got ing just at the tail end.
Speaker 2: How'd that go for you?
Speaker 4: That was at a time when my I was like I saw everything. I just saw everything that came out, so I didn't know who he was. Was just like, oh, there's a guy shooting people. All right, let's let's watch it. I feel like I have seen Death Wish at least one and two. It's been a while though. Here's my rant is that, yes, it is really soon after releasing the Blu Ray. We know they had the four K F one Viniger Syndrome lost two, so I'm guessing it's going to go to them at some point. They've got four and five, so they're probably gonna it's just make a box set out of it, like wait and just roase them all because that because at this point we've all bought the slipcovers, are sold out of four and five and I think three as well, so that means they've sold that many copies. So it's like, rather than it's doing Death Wish three and then I ordered that, just wait, put it all together so then I can sell one through five individually and then buy box if there's something new.
Speaker 3: Right, if they have the four K rights and they have the rights long enough for the films and they all have decent ocens and a four K restoration, yes, by all means please do that.
Speaker 2: I would one hundred percent be all about that. Yeah, I just don't.
Speaker 4: It just seems weird that obviously they have one in three and they wouldn't. I'm gonna assume they they're getting two and to just say, no, four and five, we're not gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be silly. Uh.
Speaker 4: Death Sentence. I love Death Sentence and that is like a very like forgotten movie because it's like we're at the same time as I think the Purge and people gotten mixed up. But I really enjoyed that sentence.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Time to talk about Odyssey Movie Store. This is a brand new, primarily boutique retailer that's gonna be operating out of Virginia here in the US. You can go to Odysseymovies dot com. There's all kinds of things to entice you to go shop over there. So for the first full month from May eleventh through June eleventh, everything on the site is all ten percent off, So basically we are talking retail prices minus a flat ten percent, and many of the retail prices are already cheaper than elsewhere, so you're getting it for extra cheap.
Speaker 2: You can sign up for.
Speaker 3: The rewards program, which, as far as I know, I don't think there's any other like straight retailers that have rewards programs that we tend to talk about in purchase from things like Orbit or Atomic or Brother Bellle or Diabolic or whatever. I don't think any of them have rewards. So you got that going for you. And if you sign up for the rewards right now, you don't even have to buy anything. But if you sign up, you get your first eighty points for free, and when you get one hundred and thirty points you get five dollars off, so you're already most of the way there. Basically, you spend fifty bucks and you get five dollars off your next person purchase, and then just like Orbit, if you get three items, they will do free shipping for you. They are working on getting more stock. It was their first time and they've been They've been rushed with orders obviously, so there it might look a little paltry because they just opened and got flooded, but as soon as stuff comes in, they are going to be you know, flipping and turning things as soon as they are able to load on the site.
Speaker 2: So check it out. HS.
Speaker 3: A lot of VHS is going to be doing some secondhand stuff, but the big thing if you want more information, like I said, I just put up a brand new interview with Travis who owns Odyssey Movies. There is It's a nice short conversation like twenty five minutes up on the channel.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Travis is a friend, he is somebody that I really want to see succeed. He is also somebody that eventually wants to take this and make this a a beacon for people to come to his eight not only just a physical store, but like as an event place, someplace that you are if you're anywhere near Virginia. I feel compelled to go to Odyssey Movies, and it sounds like he is well on his way there.
Speaker 2: I hope he is very successful. So check out Odyssey Movies.
Speaker 4: And we need more routines like that, because I don't know anyone ever ordered from Vintage Media Library. But I guess they're going out of business, so it's bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what happens when you get a study at Harvard, I think is where he's going.
Speaker 4: Oh really good. Yeah, okay, well that's that's good. At least it's for a good reason.
Speaker 3: It is for a very good and he said he will be back, but that site specifically is not.
Speaker 2: Going to be bad.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I think he said he's gonna do a big, big cartel site so he doesn't have to pay to run a full website.
Speaker 4: I tell you that by the end, it was like fifty percent off your order. I was like trying to find someth because he has some really good things on there and always never charge extra when there was a slipcover, right, and I got a lot of slip covers on there that just like the first time when he first opened up, I got like I think the first two Beverly Hills, Top four K Slips, Gladiator, Slip. It's a lot of stuff Java script.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just and just like most.
Speaker 4: Other places, if you go on eBay and someone's like with the slip sixty dollars and it's like he was like, no, I don't care, like and it was sealed. No, No, that wasn't sealed. Gladiator was sealed. That I got to like fifteen dollars four K.
Speaker 3: All right, So that is Odyssey Movies. Next up, Classic Flicks in the US is releasing hop Along Cassidy The Legacy Collection, Volume one. All three films in this collection are from nineteen thirty five, coming on Blu Ray and I believe DVD also on July twenty ninth.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: There is a handful of features on this. We got audiomentaries by Ed Holst, Toby Road. There is a mini documentary. There's a lot on here. Never before seeing stock footage that they're using, outtakes, behind the scenes footage, good looking stuff.
Speaker 4: When I saw, as I said somewhere heat from Cereal Midnight is busting him that.
Speaker 2: I hope people that love Westerns are happy. That's what I'll say.
Speaker 4: Like this is I saw like exactly like Western people. I'm happy for you.
Speaker 2: It's not my thing.
Speaker 4: But and volume one you're means you're going to get a volume two.
Speaker 2: I would assume volume one of seventeen. No, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 4: We'll see probably Film Noir Volume fifty.
Speaker 3: July a, twenty four is releasing a Blu Ray not four K Blu ray release of this year's Death of a Unicorn with the One and Only Paul Rudd and Jenna We're.
Speaker 2: Talking work at the art.
Speaker 4: Don't swipe to the next page.
Speaker 2: I didn't plan on it.
Speaker 4: Okay, good, okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, supposedly the inner art spoils some stuff, so I won't say too much.
Speaker 4: He did, heretic they did the same thing. Yeah, yeah, they don't get it.
Speaker 3: I agree they should not be advertising with it. Why movies This will have a commentary with the writer director Alex Sharfman. There is a featurete called How to Kill a Unicorn, some deleted scenes, six collectible postcards, and uh yeah, Blu ray only.
Speaker 4: I have not seen this yet, so I guess I also had spoiled. But that cover art is beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's really great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like it kind of gives me never aenndy story vibes. Yes, it's just so nice.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's very nice anyway.
Speaker 3: Diabolic DVD posted a release up this last week. This is coming in June on Blu ray from Guilo Films. This is an offshoot of IFD Media and they're putting out fists of Bruce Lee from nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 2: This is starring Bruce Laie. Uh.
Speaker 3: This will also have a slip cover and a twenty four page booklet. There's a Bruce Lee interview on here. There's a Benjamin Ling interview. There is h Bruce Laie, John Ladalski and Benjamin Ling and Dan Iisen tot Ice. I can't read that word Ino Santo Training films. But the big thing there's a bonus movie on here called Gecko Kung Fu that's an hour and a half long.
Speaker 2: That one is only an.
Speaker 4: SD salesman who knows Conku.
Speaker 2: Yep. Wow, yeah you're the dad and making that joke. It was perfect.
Speaker 3: What's up Mozart's ghosts intrigued by new Bruce Uh. This is one thing I was gonna say. I had somebody say they were gonna wait on this because of the seven Blue Bruce Blayitation Volume two box set.
Speaker 2: This won't be in that box set. Seven doesn't have the rights. This label has the rights, Cuba. If you won't get it right, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yes, Brendan, I think you are correct and I clicked the wrong thing. So let's go straight to lions Gate Limited June seventeenth, four K steel book Coming of the Way of the Gun from two thousand. This is a lions Gate Limited release, which means it is a site exclusive, not be available anywhere else unless Diabolic goes and buys their own copies of this. This has some archival features and then brand new lines Gate Limited extras featuret called Intention Is Everything and one called Trigger Discipline. One disc release only the four K disc Way the Gun.
Speaker 2: You seen this one?
Speaker 4: It's one of those ways that I missed in the early two thousands. I used to get a confused with part of war snites. I wasn't a big Ryan Philipie fan. I am convinced that there's some poor lions Gate employee that's being tortured and just being told to yell out of title like we one that's gonna be put on steel book?
Speaker 2: What are you like?
Speaker 4: I don't know that's a topic corpse.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's Oh, don't tease me. I'd be all about that one.
Speaker 4: It just like I there's gotta be other titles, and I'm not saying anything bad about I haven't seen Way of the Gun, so I don't It might be a masterpiece, but it's just such a what And we'll get to it later with another part of Lionsgate, like is it like a twenty minute like zoom meeting? And so I says, all right, I was get this out of the way, let's go. You know, I've got plans this this weekend, Like your plan is to make money? Right, yeah, Because they did that thing on Reddit where they put out a questionnaire which I was like, wow, no one ever does that. But then they turn around and go like thirty five forty dollars site exclusives, You're gonna pay shipping regardless unless you can get like three hundred dollars magnets, Like yeah, like, if you're really trying to hit the audience, hit, there's ways of figuring this out. So I don't know what the what the plan is that they really think they're gonna end. It's like, no, it's a steal box, someone's gonna buy it.
Speaker 3: On top of that, for those that saw the Reddit pull, overwhelmingly like eighty percent plus of everybody said, don't give us the steel book. Just give us a release that we can buy wherever, not just a site exclusive, and make it something that is as cheap as possible.
Speaker 4: Oh I chose a hardbox. I like a hard boe.
Speaker 2: Well, everybody else out voted you, thankfully, but it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: They seem to be going exactly opposite of what everybody voted for.
Speaker 4: Anyway, what Dallas I mean again? Book of Shadows lyrics two. He is a piece of shit and you can like it. I just that movie's piece of yet. But everyone wants it. And if you're even like, if you type in like Google like Windsgate movies, people want, it's gonna pop up and be like, all right, let's point it out, let's just do it. Let's make some money.
Speaker 2: Lionsgate has a fantastic catalog of stuff that many of which have never been released.
Speaker 4: Again, I don't know why they And the licensing has to be like a deep cut movie. The licensing must be cheaper than putting out way of the Gun.
Speaker 2: The thing is, though they're not licensing things, they own the right.
Speaker 4: But as far as like when they put that, they do have to give Ben each other's her own, Ryan Philpy, that's that's like, are going to be more than like, you know, Betty McVan from eighty six, I'm just making who did like Slasher Troops, you know, four and a half? Like maybe she's pretty dead.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Jack says you should start a label of a cult called Riot's Gate, but.
Speaker 4: That sounds like a cult. Gate is like, oh good, It's just like kool aid. It's just a bottle of water the golf. Everyone take your bottle of water.
Speaker 2: Everybody go to Walmart by carbonated water.
Speaker 4: Are we all ready to go?
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's why the gun which for many people, this is the more appealing of the two releases, although the film itself of what we're about to talk about is still appealing.
Speaker 4: Devil's four K, let's all go, We're done.
Speaker 3: Well, let's talk about Lionsgate Limited also releasing the next Vestron Collector series release, All of Me from nineteen eighty four. Yes, the Carl Reiner film starring Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin is getting a Vestron Collector's Series release. This has an IDEO commentary by Joe Ramoni. This has an interview with Phil Alden Robinson, the screenwriter. Bodies Behaving Badly. Visual essay by Cerice Howard. Hilarity Ensues visual essay by Stacy Lane Wilson, A steals gallery, all that sort of thing, trailers whatever.
Speaker 2: However, so many.
Speaker 3: People this week are so pissed that the next restaurant title is twenty five dollars and also a Lionsgate limited side exclusive.
Speaker 2: Okay, so a couple things.
Speaker 3: The side exclusive part sucks, ass, I'm not denying that that is that is awful. The price thing, I understand it sucks. However, let's zoom out on Vesturan. The first nineteen titles released in the Vestron Collector series all started on day one at thirty plus dollars of release, every single one. It just so happened that after they put out Maximum Overdrive, the next twelve or so that they released were all like twelve dollars and found in Walmart. That was a surprising thing they all in that time period. In that time period, they also all sucked. Not that the films are bad, but the restorations were atrocious for most of those. I'm not saying that the upticking price is a great thing. However, it's not unheard of. Vesta On, for the most part, used to be very pricey. They just have not done hardly anything in a handful of years. Yeah, and a lot of people are new collectors. We're actually gonna talk about that tonight. We didn't even mention our topic for tonight, so I should bring that up right now after our announcements tonight, we're gonna be covering over the timeline of physical media and we're gonna be explaining why and stuff in a little bit. But this getting a vest On release is wild. We talked about this with May as well. It doesn't make sense because it was never under the Vesturan label. This was a Lionsgate title. This is something that doesn't really fit in with most of the other Vestan titles.
Speaker 2: Just like you just said about Way the Gun.
Speaker 3: It feels like to me, Lionsgate is just looking at the stuff that recently had a restoration and now they're like, well, we got to release it somehow because it'll make us some money. We just paid for a restoration. What do we do and they go, oh, Steve Martin. That's vest Drawn, right, and they give us a twenty five dollars release.
Speaker 4: It's a deep cut movie though I had never even heard of this movie. It's Carl Reiner, so they're probably I mean, I understand this shocking. I understand this more than way of the Gun because this is going to have that that audience. It's like, yes, like that that little known movie from the eighties and I liked and it fits for me. It fits in with again Earth Girls are Easy. Yeah, but I still think that the heyday of like Chopping Mall and then Blood Diner and sometuff of that was where people they had to have seen people were like yes, yes, yes, yes, like this is what I want, right.
Speaker 2: And that was the original vest Drawn label that people associated with and not not the physical media label, the actual production company vestra On And so something you know, like Dallas just brought up this getting a restaurant release before Goolies go to college is wild. I crazy, absolutely crazy.
Speaker 4: I know. And the art I will say this, When I first saw I thought that was Scott Vacula. I thought Steve Martin Scott Vaula. I thought Louie Tomlin was Mary Stein Virgin.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't hate the art.
Speaker 4: It's very eighties, but again I don't have any connecting. This is not a video store stable that I would walk by and go oh, like I remember seeing that, Like I remember walking into the other store and seeing the cover the in the horror section, walking by and seeing parents. Yeah, and that was like just grabbed my attention every single time. Stepfather too. Everything that knife going through the wedding cake every single time?
Speaker 2: What was the one that arm where it's.
Speaker 4: Topped up into little like chunks. It's on a chopping board and there's an arm and it's like it almost looks like it's pieces of salami, and there's eyeballs on the thing. Yes see, someone will shine in with that.
Speaker 2: For some reason, I could think of his happy Birthday to me, but it's obviously not.
Speaker 3: That's the kebab cover. Somebody will say it. I don't remember which one they are. Yeah, this this is a choice. The worst thing for me is that it's side exclusive. The big thing for that is if you're not in the US or Canada, you straight can't purchase this. And I don't even remember if Canadians can buy this.
Speaker 4: Did they do zap No, who about Zach I thought I felt like they did that.
Speaker 2: Someone put out zap on Blu Ray in the and and and.
Speaker 4: Uh aans barryings. The two people from Charles in charge who had to do Apparently it was Olive Olive okay, got it?
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 4: Not that's for Scott Releases anymore.
Speaker 2: This one. So anyways, that's Lionsgate Limited. Uh.
Speaker 3: If somebody from Lionsgate is watching, which is honestly not unheard of, I mean they one of the guys did an interview with steel Book Obsessed. They say that they listen to the community.
Speaker 5: They went to Reddit if you are listening to the town with your wallet out, They went to the bad part of town and asked for financial advice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, gus directions.
Speaker 2: To uh so, yeah, if Lionsgate is listening, find a way, like I don't know, make make the site exclusive, like a different slip cover or stick stick to the steel books for for titles and do amory cases everywhere else.
Speaker 3: You should not make the titles a site exclusive. You should not do anything that withholds it from the world. You're you're losing out on money.
Speaker 4: Literally, I will push back on this, but if anything I could say, do this for the standard. Let it be available on Walmart and Amazon everything, because the people like that Strong are going to want continuity and want the spines of all. Look, they don't want to all of sudden get a new design of Best Strong and make us quite exclusive and say like, well, this is this exactly and this is just your regular nine to ninety nine. Go to Amazon and hope they don't smash your slip cover.
Speaker 2: Yeah literally that that.
Speaker 3: Or you know, you can buy the exact same release from the lines to get limited site, but you get i don't know, a three hundred dollars Steve Martin autograph or something, something that will actually make people want to go to the site and get it instead of with holding it from everywhere else.
Speaker 4: Or I mean, if you're gonna do as far as I'm going to Reddit and like going through all this trouble of talking to the fans, you know what you own these titles, come up with ten titles you have in your line, and you're like, hey, let's vote, what do you all think about this? And then just say like, yeah, this is this is the one that we want.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 4: Anyways, got to guarantee of what people want.
Speaker 2: That's Lionsgate Limited.
Speaker 4: I can't we spend that much on all of me said on that movie to the game out.
Speaker 3: Uh June second in the UK. True Britt Entertainment is putting up Marching Powder from this year. It is a Danny Dyer film. Danny Dyer, uh and of course Nick Love is the director. They've worked together on some previous things, one of which we talked about.
Speaker 2: I believe it was just the last week, but uh yeah, this is supposedly decent.
Speaker 3: The trailer looked okay, but I've also never seen Human Traffic, which is the one we talked about last week, So I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Don't know who Danny Dyer is, don't know who any of these people are.
Speaker 4: I am completely in the dark on this one.
Speaker 3: I agree anyone else this name says Lionsgate isn't going to change anything.
Speaker 2: As long as they have guys like mid Level, mid Level shill and steel Book possessed take their acid in front of thousands of people.
Speaker 4: You know what, this'll get pushed back from me, this name, and you're not gonna, are you are correct? I will, I will, I will, I will shots fired across the bow.
Speaker 3: That's also one of the reasons why my channel is still a very small channel because I.
Speaker 2: Don't do any of that shit. Uh, let's go on.
Speaker 4: I like, look at shiny. It's I hate this fucking movie, but it's shiny.
Speaker 2: Honey honey, Look look like I spent a hard earned money on Honey, Honey, Where are you taking the kids?
Speaker 3: She left after they watched Happiness God July eighth. July eighth, Universal is releasing the film Earthquake on four K. It's getting a steel book and a standard release, unlike the stuff from Lionsgate Limited, So fuck you no Earthquake. Honestly, this may be my favorite of the Disaster era. It's not like it's not like a well made plot and driven, wonderful movie, but it's so damn fun. This movie is entertaining as hell. Incredible cast, Charlton Heston, Avid Gardner, George Kennedy. Probably again, probably my favorite of the disaster films.
Speaker 2: I don't hate the steel book.
Speaker 3: The front art is kind of weird, but I really do like the art on the back of this one.
Speaker 2: That's a great movie.
Speaker 4: When you go back in time and start doing floating heads for older movies, it's like.
Speaker 2: Really we're gonna go back and do that.
Speaker 4: I've I've somehow completely missed. I also want to know why stands confused, But I have completely missed his imaginary friend. Yes, Stan, Yes, Stan, I am playing my imaginary friend. Actually, no, non friend. Sorry, I missed all the natural disaster, earthquake, towering inferno, airplane.
Speaker 2: Or airport Airport seventy six.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I missed all those. I'll get to them. Towering Inferno is probably the one I most need to see. Yeah, I blame OJ for doing it.
Speaker 2: The inferno itself.
Speaker 3: Yes, uh, Mozart says, I like universally an on this one themselves.
Speaker 2: I've exhausted my purchasing. Groove needed something new. I get that roller Coasters is pretty good too.
Speaker 4: Groove is gonna We're just gonna lose its shit because people keep trying to set new email addresses to get that twenty percent off, and it's it's like, no, like we are shutting this. It's like Netflix password sharing.
Speaker 2: How many people live in your home?
Speaker 4: This might just don't even offer the coupon it anymore because people are just gonna do everything they.
Speaker 2: Can just making it up permanent coupon.
Speaker 4: I mean there are are the prices are already better they had. It's a weird website, it's a weird signing thing. I took me already even just set up an account with them. But overall they ship well anyway.
Speaker 2: Those little corrugated pockets that they use. I hate that crap.
Speaker 4: They did lose It was my whole fucking quarterer at one point and.
Speaker 2: Oh that was groove. That's right, Yeah, do you remember that?
Speaker 4: And it took me like forever, And it finally showed up like four months later from my Tijuana or something like hey, we found this. And then I contacted them and said, hey, so this I want to be honest, this didn't show up and it's like a whole sack of four k's And I was like, what.
Speaker 2: Do you want me to do?
Speaker 4: And they're like, oh, well, if you want it, we're gonna send you a label if you could ship it back to us. No, thank you or like, thank you for being honest. I'm like, I literally could have kept this, like two hundred dollars worth of four k's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. That was a big order.
Speaker 4: Gary. Did he not have the sidon adventure in four K not yet?
Speaker 2: That's weird.
Speaker 3: Okay, terroring is way too long, but they're all guilty pleasure, says Adam, whereas Poseidon adventures my fave Heckman cursing. God, you can't beat I mean, attackman, you kind of can't, although George Kennedy comes kind of close with Charlton Heston.
Speaker 4: Oh God, Okay, if you go to the Bluerry dot com forum, you can see me arguing with a whole bunch of dumb bucks and I.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have to talk about this because, oh my god, the amount of sarcastic comments on all of my announcement posts on this is hilarious.
Speaker 4: Which July I don't because someone didn't deserve it, died and I don't make jokes at that at their expense.
Speaker 2: If there was ever a question of Sibner was actually in New York, Yes, yes he is, Oh yeah, yeah yeah sirens yeah July twenty second.
Speaker 4: I was going to say this side note the other day. I literally was thinking this that we should replace the sirens with Hans Zimmer's score because I would get out of the way like no, no, no, no, no no, I would get out of the way of that. I was like, oh shit, they're coming through by Business.
Speaker 3: July twenty second, d Kal is releasing a blu ray of Rust, technically listed as a twenty twenty five film. For those that aren't familiar with the title, this is the Alec Baldwin New Mexico murder movie. There's a lot of stuff that is a question on this. Obviously, Alec Baldwin did not murder somebody. There was an accident on set. Somebody was shot and killed. This there are a lot of questionable a lot of questionable choices. If that happened on the set of the movie. Your tagline should not be redemption isn't given it's taken. And the fact that the synopsis that you're using everywhere literally states in eighteen eighties Wyoming recently orphaned, Lucas Hollister accidentally kills a rancher and is sentenced to hang and you go on from there as if nothing's new. Anyways, from what.
Speaker 2: I hear, this is actually a good movie and it turned out decent. I'm interested in seeing it beautifully.
Speaker 3: But the fact that everybody is just like pissed off saying that shouldn't exist, like it was an accident. I mean, most people that were collecting last year that loved the crow from the nineties, bought the crows deal.
Speaker 4: Look at your crow, take it off your shelf and send it to me. I'll take the steel buck. It's fine, It's absolutely fine, Stephen.
Speaker 2: Stephen says, you know the old saying tragedy plus time plus Alec Baldwin's wife's face, big ax an equal sex. Yes, yes, this is that movie.
Speaker 4: People that object to the Plants game, like you see that deeper screepers gluey behind you, you need to go take that and you need to throw it out.
Speaker 2: Uh and see.
Speaker 3: Adam says, like, Twilight's on the movie, just can't it. There's some different things there. Twilight's on the movie.
Speaker 2: The director was specifically disobeying the law and putting people at risk.
Speaker 4: This mass still like seventy eighty dollars on eBay and people are still paying for it.
Speaker 2: And if that came out on four K, it would sell like Gangbusters.
Speaker 4: And all of you people objecting to the last thing going Paris, that first one, that first version sold out pretty fast on vinegars Er. I'm just gonna say, anyways, fast.
Speaker 2: Steven's on one right now. I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I again I don't understand the hate for this announcement, even though.
Speaker 4: It's done not him anyway.
Speaker 3: This is this is wild, the amount of comments with people saying hard pass and stuff like that, like why it could be a good.
Speaker 4: Movie today it would be the same thing.
Speaker 3: Do you think the woman that was killed on set, who is somebody that wanted to work in the film industry. She doesn't want you to see some of her work. I mean, come on, well, all the proceeds go to her family.
Speaker 4: So if you buy this movie, the money's gonna go to her family.
Speaker 3: Lots of people have died making films over the years. Lots of people have been treated like shit over the years making movies. Pretty Much any movie has something negative attached to it.
Speaker 4: I mean, you got you got the final Resident Evil. I mean that for some person lost their lost their leg.
Speaker 2: That's true, that's true.
Speaker 4: I mean, Uma Thurman almost got kill Kill Bill volume Zoya Wick.
Speaker 2: But there's a.
Speaker 4: There's plenty of moves if you if you I've deep enough, Yes.
Speaker 2: Thanks the list.
Speaker 3: By the way, shout out Celest, one of our guests next Thursday for the launch of the Vineger Syndrome sale. All right, that was rust let's go the next one before there's any more problems.
Speaker 4: Can we to argue the legality of all the of the shooting?
Speaker 3: July twenty second, same day Shutter is releasing ash from this year. This is the next Flying Lotus film. Again quite polarizing if you are into the Flying Lotus uh shtick.
Speaker 2: I guess might be an okay word to use.
Speaker 3: He's got like a very specific absurdity style and a lot of people love this. A lot of people absolutely hated this.
Speaker 2: I've not seen it.
Speaker 3: I was not super to the last Flying Loadus film, so I don't know about giving this one a shot.
Speaker 2: Although I do love Aaron Paul, so I would I would be interested in woman next time.
Speaker 3: The woman next to him is ISAA Gonzalez.
Speaker 4: It looks like a young Halle Berry.
Speaker 2: I could see that she did do that space.
Speaker 4: Movie a couple of years, so I'm like, is this that one that was on Netflix where she's or whatever where she's in space and know she got there or something that I.
Speaker 2: Will admit to it.
Speaker 3: It seems that the Flying Load of Stuff probably plays a lot better in a theater, and I've never been able to see anything from him in a theater, so that could be a small thing.
Speaker 4: For some reason, this cover just gives me vibes like Ocean Partner vibes.
Speaker 2: I man, it's shut her, but it's not coming in July. It's like, what's the Paedro Pascal space movie? That this cannot sell out on the sales?
Speaker 3: I hated Kuso, says Brendan. Thank goodness, I'm not the only one.
Speaker 2: I agree. Dustin says that young halle Berry is just halle Berry since she never ages prospect. That is the title. Ah, thank you, thank you, thank you, although I believe the slipcover for that is long sold out.
Speaker 4: Oh this silver definitely did, even though people are just like this movie is boring.
Speaker 3: Keno is having a sale over at Barnes and Noble. This is a fifty percent off sale on all of the Kenolber releases. Now why is this exciting Because a lot of the prices are higher than their prices will be on the Keno sale.
Speaker 2: The big reason because this.
Speaker 3: Covers all pre orders as well that are currently up on the site, so many of these titles.
Speaker 2: Yes, they will be on sale for cheaper later.
Speaker 3: But if this is something that you're worried about a slipcover selling out or a title that you want on day one for a lot cheaper. This is the way to get it, so check out the site. This also works in store. They don't have a ton of Kino stuff in most of the stores, but for a sale like this, they usually have at least a dedicated end cap with maybe five titles.
Speaker 2: So yay physical media.
Speaker 4: You're also doing kenol Over sale though, right Sander. Kenolover snifiers up as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is what I said.
Speaker 4: Oh you said, you said, you said Keno call. I didn't know we were doing.
Speaker 2: Oh, I said Keno Lover everything from Keno, every line.
Speaker 4: And then I was not listening to you.
Speaker 3: The first note I wanted to say, too, is because it's a Barnes and Noble and it's a widely used site that they can price match. Amazon is price matching all the prices. So if you are somebody that can't shop at Barnes and Noble, or you got Amazon gift cards wasting away in your pocket, you can buy them on sale from Amazon.
Speaker 4: Here's what's annoying is that Amazon who used to dispose of the slip covers ahead of time because they didn't care about them, on their keynotes. They're just slipped throw around me like, oh, we're just gonna sell the movie. Keino then started sealing up their movies so you could not dispose of the slip cover ahead of time, which is why it's all sealed now together.
Speaker 2: But they will use that what's happening. This was like maybe.
Speaker 4: Six seven years ago, and I remember they got word that that Amazon was purposely disposing of themselves in Spector Rex is being ticular by HBO Rex. It's like then GM and seval line.
Speaker 2: At the Dog Home Office. You are.
Speaker 4: There's two seconds to come up with that's a that's a dangerous But that was what they were doing. They were like, no, no, non they they remember they sealed up the movies now so that you could not dispose of the slip covers, which is why we now get these pinched corners because the seal is too tight. But then the image they use on the Amazon side a lot of time does not have you know, when you go on the Keno site and it's got the little slip everything, you know they still have the slip cover. And when they right now they just use the standard picture. Amazon starts using Sandar Pictuer randomly. Am I getting the slipper? Am I not getting the slip? So it's frustrating.
Speaker 2: You'll never know because you'll never get the title.
Speaker 3: It's okay, the world you never know. Let's go the next one. We got a bunch of stuff from via Vision. First one is The Beta Minhoff Complex from two thousand and eight. This is getting a blue ray release on August thirteen in Australia. There's a making of a whole bunch of featurettes and that's about it.
Speaker 2: I've never seen this one.
Speaker 4: And found it randomly at book All. I own it, I have not watched it yet. And no, it is not the Burning Made Off Complex. It is what it looks like.
Speaker 2: That's a quite different film. Yes.
Speaker 3: Next August thirteenth on Blue in Australia from Viavision is The Damned from last year twenty twenty four. Is the first time this has been on Blue anywhere in the world. And like Dustin, who is in the chat tonight, I'm wondering what the hold up is in the US because I expected this one to get an announce recently and we've not got anything from this.
Speaker 2: I've heard this movie is great. I've not seen this one yet see what.
Speaker 4: Of course, I did my due diligence and did not read the breakdown because I saw The Damned and assumed it was the Criterion movie from a couple of years back. Because I saw The Red and the Black, I said, oh, it's that movie, And now I see it's this one. Is this about the people going out to see and the girls like standing on the shore like wast okay. So I'm gonna guess this is gonna be an OCN title, like a part someone partner wise is going to put this out. I just have a feeling. I don't know why I get that feeling, but that's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 2: I guess we'll see.
Speaker 3: We shall next up same date, August thirteenth, from Via Vision Young at Heart from nineteen fifty four with Doris Day and Frank Sinatra. The special feature is a trailer next The Great Lilian Hall from twenty twenty four also gets a blue from VA Vision on the day August thirteenth.
Speaker 2: This is a worldwide first on Blu Ray.
Speaker 3: This is with Jess Khalaen, Kathy Bates, Lily Robb, Jesse Williams, and Pierce Brosnan.
Speaker 2: I had heard this one was pretty good. I've not been able to see this one.
Speaker 3: A hell of a cast obviously, but yeah, yeah, not heard much else.
Speaker 4: It's not final, and yet I like the artwork.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not a bad poster. Colton says that Damned was great visually, stunning, snowy scenes and the narrative I hadn't seen before. I love me some snow scenes.
Speaker 4: The problem with those movies is when they get listed on AMC is that here in New York it's the only place they show them. And they did it with the Shrouds, which is very weird. It's the Times Square AMC, and that is like the last place I will want to go to see a movie if I have to. Yeah, Like, it's just my least favorite AMC in the city. And they always do those limited run horror movies and it's always at the Times Square.
Speaker 2: One. Yep, that that checks out entirely.
Speaker 3: Ronnie says, this is supposed to be a great movie, and I, yeah, that's what I've heard. Next up is the one that I'm most excited from this list. August twentieth is the only with the different release date. Jim Henson's The Storyteller The Complete Collection getting apart. This is, as far as I know, at least the first time on Blu ray anywhere. I don't know why they didn't tout that, because bea Vision usually does. This is the anthology series with the Instance Creature Shop involved. This has all oh, I guess it does, say a Blue ray for the first time worldwide. It's got all nine of the stories from the original run, plus the four tales from the Greek Myth sequel series.
Speaker 2: I have to have this. That being said, I'm pretty sure Shout Factor we will probably be releasing this in the US here soon, so I was gonna say that moreky Now, well, Shout already has the deal with the Labyrinth and another out, so I think they and some stuff. Mm hm.
Speaker 4: I feel like again, crap on, Shout But I feel like it will be one of those like afterthought releases could be. It's like their TV DVD thing. It's as like, yeah, yeah, Meanwhile, who lots of Voyage of the Demeanor. Anyone need a Lenticular Steel book anyone?
Speaker 2: I wish they did Lenticular Steel looks they have.
Speaker 4: Last Last Voyage? Anyone here for the Last Last Voyage?
Speaker 3: Last from via Vision, Another worldwide first time Blu Ray the rat Race from nineteen sixty coming on August thirteenth as well. This is a Tony Curtis Debbie Reynolds film. You know, I gotta say, and I think I said this last week as well. But Imprint and Via Vision them putting out worldwide first on Blue, It's always impressive. It's always something that I have to commend them for.
Speaker 4: Can I ask you a question? This is not I'm not trying to take you down. I'm trying to like a genuine uh.
Speaker 2: It's what I'm still echoing through your computer.
Speaker 4: So everyone else is here in the echo ship?
Speaker 2: Well what am I? Okay?
Speaker 4: Does that work at all? You are still hear the echo?
Speaker 3: Well right before that had stopped for a second, it's come in and out a few times tonight.
Speaker 4: Well, then just lower your boyfriend.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Okay, So what are you putting me down for? Go ahead?
Speaker 4: No, No, I'm not well, because you know, we have discussions. You don't really have a lot of love for Keino, and like Quino does, put out a lot of stuff that has never gotten much attention.
Speaker 2: And I would I would push back there.
Speaker 3: I would say Keino is the one that is wiping up the sludge that doesn't sell well overseas, and they all so release it on Blu Ray after other companies.
Speaker 4: But there's some stuff that they have put out where it's like this.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure.
Speaker 3: The hard part is Keno also does a very bad job with encoding. Most of Keno's four k's have been atrocious, and pretty much any other company I would prefer to handle it.
Speaker 2: And bring you thing as better encoding imprint. Yeah most of the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah for me it works. Again, I watch things on a much smaller television, so I'm not as like I'm just watching it. I don't incodes unless it's literally this dog shit.
Speaker 2: I will be like, I understand.
Speaker 3: I gotta be honest as somebody that has in the last year started doing QC for some of the labels, my mindset has changed entirely, and coding used to not be a thing, and now I see something I'm like, oh fuck, this is real bad.
Speaker 4: I mean, I get your your your qualms with like them that's gobbling up all the stuff. But at the same time, in a time when we will be talking I guess at some point about like the cost of movies and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Well, for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, their sales are just like you just cannot beat this thing of Like I show at a box of this and it's like.
Speaker 3: My god, here is local celebrity mister John Demarsico who's gotten all of the followers in the world after doing a national Mets game the other day. That took off and people loved him. So thanks for showing up for a little bit there too. Yeah, I'm literally looking at a wall of Kenos right now. I I I inherently love Keno for many many reasons. But at the same time, if anybody else could do what they're doing at the same price, they would do the discs better and I would appreciate those a.
Speaker 2: Little bit more.
Speaker 3: I I adore Keno for what they release, not for how they release it, but.
Speaker 4: As far I mean, like, I will get reviews and I see something like misery, and misery gets like top notch reviews about how much better it is than the Blu Ray, so it's like they're not complete. And but then everyone loves to default to the silence of the lambs issue.
Speaker 2: Well that and reviews.
Speaker 3: Most of the people that are doing reviews don't know shit about technic.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is like DVD beavers and you know, I'm like, I'm actually seeing the in chat and I'm like, oh, that is a definite.
Speaker 2: You know, imprevement. So I agree. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it's like that's not so great, and then other times it's like, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Ryan back, I understand for the most part.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not trying to pay. But because we've had this discussion in the past, I wanted to see where you come from, like where the two.
Speaker 3: The reason why I praise Imprint and via Vision primarily for like first time on Blue stuff is because it is literally the majority of their titles for Quino, It's like it's the first time I'm blue I think.
Speaker 4: I think it's also because I always see a lot of those titles going from in Print too. Eventually keinos I kind of print the same lane of like yeah, and sometimes and sometimes while they might have the better incode, sometimes we get a four K or we get an actual restoration from from from Keno.
Speaker 3: Well, and undoubtedly a four K box from Imprint of Convoy that literally cost one hundred dollars to a four K of Convoyd that's going to have all of the same bonus features and a new commentary and slightly less good incode for twenty four dollars. Yeah, I can see why you choose Kenos over imprint. Literally one hundred percent of the time.
Speaker 4: Twenty four regular times of the year seventeen to ninety nine on sale. That's hard to say no to.
Speaker 2: I agree there. Uh hey, let's go through some da Tech.
Speaker 4: Did the special features, though I will say that they wanted to.
Speaker 2: That wasn't Keno's fault.
Speaker 3: Disco Tech has detailed all of their July releases if you want to look up special features. We talked about all these previously, but wanted to shout out all of these releasing on Blu Ray July twenty ninth. We get Terrifying Girls High School, Delequid Convulsion Group. Definitely need to get that one. This is not in order. Common Writer X the Complete TV series, Highlander, the Complete animated series, Party seven, Super Rescue, Soul Brain Complete TV series, Deer's Complete Collection, Terrifying Girls High School, Lynch Law, Classroom, Robo Geisha, Osamatsu Kun, and Vivid Strike all coming from Disco Tech in one month.
Speaker 4: You know, six or seven years ago, I said to my friend Harry, I said, I'm so happy. I'm not a Viniger Syndrome fan because I'd go so broke. They put so many things out and it looks enticing, but I don't get it, and then I got cooked on Viniger Syndrome yep, and then roll it back.
Speaker 2: Thank god.
Speaker 4: I don't watch anime or I don't.
Speaker 2: Anime releases are crazy experience.
Speaker 4: It's like Christopher Lee fans times a thousand, like you just you're done.
Speaker 2: You're done.
Speaker 3: Anime will be like fifty dollars for part one of season six box sets Part one two.
Speaker 2: It is real bad.
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, between that and Martial Arts films, thank goodness, I'm not broak.
Speaker 2: I'd be groath. Next up, tearr Vision is having their annual international free shipping sales, So right now you are able to get free shipping in the US if you spend over ninety nine bucks and use code USA Canada one hundred and forty nine dollars and use the code Canada and the rest of the world one hundred and ninety nine dollars USD and use the code ROW for rest of world.
Speaker 3: The other thing is that if you have something on pre order, they can include that with your sale. Purchases as long as you hit the the threshold for the free shipping there and they're almost done shipping Dancer Die, Enter the Panther and gushing prayer. They're about to get suddenly in the dark and the Shoes Ring Slasher's box set. They should be hopefully in hand in the next week and get those shipped out to everybody.
Speaker 4: So I'm not gonna do They normally not have free shipping at all. Correct, Okay, what is shipping normally?
Speaker 3: Uh, it is calculated based on where you are and the weight, so it's it's very fair. It is exactly what it has to be. But for a terr Vision to do free shipping for the entire world, that's pretty damn cool.
Speaker 2: No, No, absolutely love that they're doing it.
Speaker 3: And they also put together a handful of like a grab bag mystery boxes so you can get like three titles for super cheap.
Speaker 2: It's like thirty five bucks or something. So once again, I did not do my due diligence.
Speaker 4: When I clicked them the link, I was like, oh sale, and it's like these are I said, oh god, God, all.
Speaker 3: Right, next up? This isn't controversial at all. June thirtieth dogwaff Over in the UK releasing Reef install from twenty twenty fours is a captivating insight that the private estate of lenear Reef Installa became world famous with her Nazi propaganda film Triumph of the Will, but kept denying any closer ties to the regime.
Speaker 4: Oh you want me to comment on this? Uh?
Speaker 2: Why not? Go ahead? Dan?
Speaker 4: Well, here's the thing I gotta say, of all the things, that the person who makes these well known movies about the Nazis is a female filmmaker. I mean, the.
Speaker 3: Only thing else, the only thing I'll say that's positive is is I.
Speaker 2: Like to cover being a compilation of smaller images?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it's again. Look a broken clock is right twice a day. We can we can we can say, like like people watch Birth Nations, say, look what this did. Triumph of the Will is you can buy it on synapse. It's a it's a it's a film that people talk about it and make reference to.
Speaker 2: Do I.
Speaker 4: When I have this stuff not full of Nazis? You know, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna take my time to watch Nazis. But it is still something that is you know, people watch doc marriage about serial killers, not because people are like supporting the serial killers because they want to, you know, learn something about it.
Speaker 2: A lot of love white women love true crime. It's a white women love true crime. I said, a lot of white women love true.
Speaker 4: You want to take it from here, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Gonna it was a joke, sorry, Karen. Uh, I'm just kidding. I was waiting for to respond to the white women thing. Yes, Hey, let's go to the next one. Uh. What a way to.
Speaker 4: Follow the comment at all from you? You just left it to me.
Speaker 2: How do we go from Nazis to white women to Vincent Gallo?
Speaker 4: Look, if Will is here, he'd be going is like, well the thing about the Nazis are and he'd be going false screen.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Anyways, your favorite movie Trouble every Day.
Speaker 3: August eighteenth, Eureka is releasing Trouble every Day in a four A and Blu Ray combo pack or a Blu Ray by itself without the box and the booklet. The other big thing that everybody should know about this what it's called yourself edition. On top of that, you get shit. It's strictly limited. So if you don't get the first releasing, you are not getting this release. This is going to have a limited edition sixty page collector's book with new writing on it by Anna Bogutskaya, A nec Chambers and Laura me with an introduction by Peter Sloan.
Speaker 2: Uh. There is going to be the original.
Speaker 3: French soundtrack and a optional English subtitles that are newly revised for this release. New commentary with Horse Collar Lindsay Halam, New interview with new French extremity expert Ali hale It Brian Do. Visual essay by Virgine Salave on Trouble every Day is a vampire film, and Uh that's it.
Speaker 2: I don't love this movie, though.
Speaker 4: I have not yet seen it. Uh, it looked interesting, which is why I bought it from Ocen. I'm assuming that this is just the same thing that they add except four K.
Speaker 3: I well, the the extras are different, obviously since they're new.
Speaker 4: But I like the director, Vincent Gallo is a walking piece of ship.
Speaker 2: But Jack, don't remind me. This was one of the Patreon watching.
Speaker 4: I heard, and then you are like, come on to the discord, Dan, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, no, no, speaking of that. Patreon Watch along for Me.
Speaker 3: Patreon Watch Along for Me is this weekend if you joined the Patreon you can watch Sunday night. You can also vote in the poll for what we're going to watch before that comes up, So come check it out. All right, dev Crocodile had all kinds of stuff happening today. The first thing is you can go to their brand new website. It's been revised there under a new host. It's a wonderful new website. Really happy with it. Helped test some of the stuff before it went live, and I think it's really great. But the big surprise is the Alexander Patushco Fantastica box set is currently live on their website. You can get the four films that were previously released when they were with OCN. You've got Ilia, Murrametz, Sampo, The Tale of sarsal Ten, and Russlan and Ludmilla. They come in the new cases that they're using the Criterion style and they will all come in this box and it's a really great design on the outside. Early like this, it's pretty inexpensive for what you're getting for it. And I love these movies. These are really great.
Speaker 4: It looks like an RPG set. I could see that Dungeons and Dragons rolled by those dice.
Speaker 2: In there, and yeah, I could see that.
Speaker 4: Matt maybe gathering de luxet.
Speaker 2: This was supposed to have two pictures and only one uploaded. Darn it. Yeah, it's a it's a good release. I think you should check it out.
Speaker 3: The other thing is the brand new US domestic only subscriptions went live today. Those are live from May fifteenth through the thirty first. It is three hundred and twenty five dollars for the July and six month on releases. All of those releases are visible, you know what they're going to be. But the other big thing that's exciting is they also have memberships. These are not going to be timed, so you don't have to be in the next sixteen days. If you are out of money or anything like that. You can wait until you've saved up to be able to do this. And their memberships are a crazy great deal. You can you can spend as little as I think it's three hundred dollars to get a membership, and as much as one thousand dollars. You get crazy site discounts, you get exclusive items, you get access to their new discord, you get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 3: Pins love what they're doing with stuff like this, and you should check it out.
Speaker 4: Uh, it's like sprawled out on a pillow like sexy full hoards this cats and.
Speaker 2: A calendar of all of them. Yes please, that would be.
Speaker 4: True, and starts signing them like it's them.
Speaker 2: It's like the cats of Deaf Crocodile.
Speaker 3: Silent Madwal says, if I already have the previous set, is it worth getting?
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 3: Fiscally, no, it's the exact same disc. You're not getting anything new on the disc content. It is a different box. It is going to be different cases. Some other people really want those old school slip covers that they got through OCN, so you might be able to flip those for.
Speaker 2: Some money, and Silent you need to buy it anyways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's probably not worth it, but I know that that box from previously went out of print really quickly and this is the chance for people to get it. The price is pretty fair and yeah, check it out. I'm just watching you nod for twenty seconds. The other big thing they announced in their newsletter today that tariffs have finally come for Deaf Crocodile. The stuff that they are getting in they're raising when they've been charged tariffs, they're raising the items by two dollars, but at the same time they just lowered their prices by two dollars, so on the end user side, everything is the same. But that also means when the tariffs go away, they're going to be even cheaper. So right now I believe the like the standard editions are twenty one ninety five, and when the tariffs go away, because everybody realizes they were a terrible idea to begin with, they will go down to nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 2: And that's pretty exciting.
Speaker 4: So I love your positive outlook.
Speaker 3: Well, when democracy something is to go with you. Hey, my laptops are rescued. Taste like tonight blueberry pomegranate that is def crocodile. They're also they announced that they are working on international subscriptions. Before they can't really do international subscriptions because they're not licensed to sell internationally. However, Jesse from Diabolic is working on international and he's gonna be doing quarterly bundles to save everybody on shipping. So if you want one of those bundles, I believe they're either up or are about to be up, So check out Diabolic Deep.
Speaker 4: The most foreign films ever that we cannot sell overseas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're outside of the US and Canada, Deaf Crocodile is not supposed to sell your stuff unfortunately. Next up, Second Run DVD over in the UK is releasing Divine Love from twenty nineteen. This is from Gabriel Mescaro, the director of the award winning Neon Bull and the Blue Trail. This sounds really good, but just like most second run DVD titles, I have never heard of it.
Speaker 4: Also, the art, the cover, the way they this is the DVD beaver of of case layout like.
Speaker 2: It looks like a Twitter marketing proposal from twenty ten.
Speaker 4: It looks like someone just figured out how to like Dragon Drop. I'm like the very first Photoshop.
Speaker 2: And they went to click save and Microsoft word and everything juttered out the wrong way.
Speaker 4: Rackets, the veno uppercase a more lower case, which I'm sure is proper, but still it looks like someone forgot to capitalize.
Speaker 2: A more right like Mozarts as Fly Lesbian Seagull, and then it's so perfect true. So this sounds good though it says in a dystopian vision of Brazil, a deeply religious woman who uses her position to quote save struggling couples from divorce. Whilst waiting for a sign and recognition of her efforts, she is confronted with the crisis and a revelation that will either lead her to question everything she believes or bring her even closer to God.
Speaker 4: Ronnie, did you do it? I was a litter of to say gay Twitter. I was about as say gay Twitter.
Speaker 2: Any yep, yep, yep. Yeah. One mind, Ronnie and I are always one round.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the next one because we're almost done. June sixteenth, we are getting Thunderbird Superspace Theater Volume one. This is covering nineteen eighty to nineteen eighty two. This is the stop motion films that are cobbled together of some of the Thunderbird stuff that came out. This includes Thunderbirds The Machines, Thunderbirds, Hero and Villains, three reproduction movie posters, a whole bunch of extras. They're doing all kinds of stuff, going all out.
Speaker 2: Go to what are we doing? I'm playing to Ronnie, I've got you brain. You can go to Jerry Anderson dot com to preor this. They seem to be shipping worldwide so check it out.
Speaker 6: I love you, r I love you. I don't know how I do. If I ever lost you, I'd ready to get another Ronnie. There'd be like a fifteen minute or I'd be in consortaber.
Speaker 2: Finally this week, finally, can.
Speaker 4: We go back to that previous artwork?
Speaker 2: Sure, if you really want, But can we zoom in on.
Speaker 4: The one on the left, the one that, yeah, the one of the Empire State building. Yeah, that's all that's gonna happen tomorrow. I looked at that today as says like, oh that's us, that's just not.
Speaker 2: Yikes.
Speaker 3: Finally, a fundraiser for the next release from Undercrank Productions that Ben model runs, We are getting The Cardboard Lover from.
Speaker 2: Nineteen twenty eight.
Speaker 3: This is a prescient film about physical media slipcovers, starring Maryon Davies. Obviously not about slipcovers. This is going to be a new two K scan and it will be done by the Library of Congress's Film Lab of their thirty five millimeter preservation negative. There will be digital stabilizations, some visual essays. We've got Ben Modell doing a new score for the film on theater organ By being a backer, you get.
Speaker 2: A pressed copy of the Blu ray.
Speaker 3: All of the uh stuff that is sent out afterwards will be a b d R unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Suck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, check it out under Craig Productions does incredible work and Ben is fantastic of what he does, and yeah, this looks like a good release.
Speaker 4: I've said, this is something like you could get like Scorsese.
Speaker 2: To back it.
Speaker 3: I totally forgot that tonight when we were talking about lou Ferrignoll. You wanted me to share something. You want me to share that.
Speaker 2: What does it?
Speaker 4: Does it make sense? And you can go ahead on.
Speaker 3: It does because everybody's gonna want to see it if I like tease it. But this is uh, yes, you're right, go ahead, go ahead and explain.
Speaker 4: Okay, to go back. Okay, So when we had the Lu Forigno poster, I was gonna say, this is how much of a true luth Dirigno fan I was at nine years old. I'm doing the hult pose. This is my Hulp post. I send this to Ryan and it's easily to queue it up for that thing, and he's skipped it. Now he's going.
Speaker 2: Back to this. I forgot it was there. I gotta be honest, that.
Speaker 4: Nine year old Dan doing the hul pose.
Speaker 3: Hey, let's talk about what's coming out next week. Now we've got Jason Next four K from Arrow. Jason Goes to Hell four K from Arrow as well, Knight's Tale four K, Steelbook, which is seemingly getting decent reviews. Blaxploitation Classics four K box set from Shout. I still think it's hilarious that they changed the art from whatever it was to a purple blob and ran with it. The Soderberg four K of Presence is next week with Nail and I four K from Criterion, Fine Prophecy four K from Keno, How to Get Ahead and Advertising Blu Ray Only from Criterion, Iron Row's four K from Indicator, The Rapacious Jailbreaker from Radiance, Batman Nage of four K, Girls Without Shame four K from Indicator, Libbiding Citizen four kse JOBOK from Lionsgate that is not a side exclusive.
Speaker 4: Did have lawbyding. Citizen does have one of the best kills I've ever met. Really shocked me.
Speaker 2: I've still not seen it.
Speaker 4: You will you will actually love it. I really think you will love this movie.
Speaker 2: Well. Shoot.
Speaker 3: Oliver four K from Sony direct Them Rock from Radiance, Art on that one by Sam Smith, as well, Proud Rebel from Classic Flicks, Lady the Law from eighty eight Films, The Amorous Adventures of mol Flanders from Keno, We've got Doctor Who, the Savages from BBC, The Quiet Ones, Wonder Dogs from Keno. I've been looking forward to that one. That one sounds great. Any of these that you already got or are after.
Speaker 4: Go back out to the top there if you could.
Speaker 2: He just went to the bottom. Well, it's where I was when you said go back. I'm sorry, I.
Speaker 4: Said, and go back to the time. Well, I will always a day say. I just cannot send a Night's Tale, and I know I get a lot of pushback on that. I do not like a night tail. Uh, All finders have work buying from Kino and send dollars. Moment Jason goes to Hell, I do really like I have a very funny stay if you want to hear it. I have a very funny story about this movie. Do you want to hear it?
Speaker 2: Right ahead? When? So? When ninety.
Speaker 4: You can put you to think back on you fine? Uh, nineteen nineties are okay? So I'm twelve years old. My grandmother will pretty much take me to do anything I want. I love my mama, and she would take me to do anything. And I said, I want to see Jason Goes to Hell. And in her mind and she's probably in her.
Speaker 2: Mid eighties now at the time.
Speaker 4: At the time, she's longer with us, but she was she was thinking he was like Bell Lugosi's Dracula in her mind. And we go to this like little theater in New York on on on the East Side, and we get maybe thirty minutes into this movie, so we have now if anyone's ever seen Jason Goes to Hell, we make it through the camp tent scene. I have now sat with my grandmother through the camp Dent set scene all the way through. So basically, yeah, it was. And it's only like three it's the middle of the day. There's like three or four of us in the theater to where basically, now the cop this is not Ray Square, but there's a cop strapped naked to a board and the other guy is like sharpening his razor and my grandmother my mom goes, we're out balls me have And as we're leaving the theater, there's a guy coming the opposite direction. She goes, do not go in that theater, do not see this movie. It took me years to finally see the rest of the movie.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 4: Yes, she really thought it was gonna be like he's like, oh, Dracula, Frankenstein, the Universal Monsters, and again so far this guy is chewed down on a black heart. And she didn't. It didn't register. She's like, I love my my, my, my, bah blah blah, I love my bo I'll do it, I'll do it, I'll do it. And she took me see the crow and she really liked the crow.
Speaker 2: She's like, I like that.
Speaker 4: But she later was telling my mom my mom still tells us her. She goes, she felt so terrible. She thought she had warped your brain forever. She thought she traumatized you. She's like, oh my god, he's never going to be the same again.
Speaker 2: That's you lost all this innocence.
Speaker 4: All all my I know, I know, I mean at this point, so I'm nine years old there, So okay, had I seen an R rated film yet? When did RoboCop two come out?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: God, that was my first rrated film, so maybe not too late, not too late after that, maybe I.
Speaker 2: Saw Robo Cups who was ninety Yeah.
Speaker 4: So like a year or two late, like that was when I was watching those movies my favorite thing to watch. I think I've already talked about. I mean I talked about it on kb's channel that when I think heard my grandmother watched threes, Oh my god, well you know a Baldwin and uh uh lar from Boyle. I understand that, uh I say. But when I when I was younger, the thing I wanted to watch more than anything was Michael Jackson's Thriller, And I assumed it was always on MTV, and I was sitting in the dark and wait for it to come on. And my mom was like, he's gonna be a trumptizer. She's like, you don't want to watch Sesame Street. I'm like, no, thriller, thriller and watch those zombies coming out of the ground dripping the blood. And I still to this day watch it. I'm like, this is just awesome.
Speaker 2: I just love so great. Even that the jump scare with the yellow eyes like.
Speaker 4: It's larified me.
Speaker 2: I couldn't.
Speaker 4: I had to look away from that one. But Vincent Price's laugh is still when he like I came.
Speaker 2: To it's incredible. I genuinely am holding out hope that one day we actually get that on four K disc.
Speaker 4: And the behind the scenes making of and all that and is but the again, John Landis, I mean, that's the problem. Doesn't matter that lends is the only problem with that. You know, everything else is fine.
Speaker 3: Like with that kosher beyond believing absolutely all right, So our conversation tonight we are going to be over you know your history. This is what now fourth or fifth reconnected and we've been we've been doing some This cannot only be the third.
Speaker 2: No, I am going to prove that wrong. You can. That's uh.
Speaker 3: May thirtieth, twenty twenty four. October seventeenth, twenty twenty four. January sixteenth, twenty twenty five. May fifteenth, twenty one.
Speaker 2: What were my subdcs that I talked about. I don't I don't remember. This is the fourth at all. This is the fourth.
Speaker 4: You've bumped me for Brad. You scheduled two dates at the same time, and you'd always Zach Morris to me and like went for like another girl.
Speaker 2: There was that one, not how it happened anyways, while being on a Sunday anyway.
Speaker 3: We've done some cool stuff like the Sleepover games leep Over. Tonight, we are doing something super unique as well. We are doing the timeline of physical media.
Speaker 2: So why don't you go.
Speaker 3: Ahead and share with the crowd what we're covering tonight and how we're going to do this.
Speaker 4: I mean, I can't really say what we're covering because I'll be giving everything away, right basic basically top ten you can pick any doesn't be top but ten milestone events in physical metaia. Yeah, and that can be anywhere in the history of physical media. Anything you want it today. It can be funny, it can be I mean I didn't say this before, but it could be personally affecting, like it's just important for you because something that absolutely like solidified, uh, you know, everything for physical media. And again, it could be anything. It could be a person, a thing.
Speaker 2: A title specific release. Yeah. Anything.
Speaker 4: And I have mind listed in chronological order. What I messaged you the other night about is I said, Hey, how about this you're gonna give I'll give you the date, and you'll give me the date, and we will have to try and guess first what the dates signifies, because I have to make exact dates and then I had just had years, and.
Speaker 3: I have exact dates, And then I have exact dates for almost everything except for a couple that I can only narrow down to months because I can't find a very specific date about saying month.
Speaker 4: I have years where it's like I had a correct a day because I got the wrong year. Oh, I was like, oh, oh, spaghetti, I gotta fix this.
Speaker 3: And so the other way that we're gonna do it, and we're gonna give everybody in the chat of the time to be able to respond and to keep it honest, try not to like open another tab and research while we say this. We're gonna say the date and discuss it for a moment to have the other one be able to guess what we're doing. And I guess to keep this I don't know fair. I guess is a weird word, but like organized, should one person do their entire timeline before the other?
Speaker 2: You want to go back and forth?
Speaker 4: I would no, I don't ye. I mean, we can do it either way, but I think if we go back and forth it'll be cool to see if there's a crisscross.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling we're gonna have some crossover.
Speaker 4: Because I think if I do my whole list, then it then somehow gives away your lists, right, And.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's go back and forth. Why don't you say your your earliest date.
Speaker 4: My earliest date is going to be nineteen seventy.
Speaker 3: Six, Okay, So I do know this one because it is it is essentially my first one. So okay, I'll list my first one at the same time.
Speaker 4: Should should we let them guess first before we think and then reveal, because if you think you know you've got yours.
Speaker 3: Yes, But I'm gonna say my date as well. So my first one is kind of two in one. I've got May tenth, nineteen seventy five, and then also technically in Japan April of nineteen seventy six, and then later I think it was October November in the US of nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 4: We might not have the same thing. We might we may not. This will be interesting. I'm gonna let people guests first, but we will see you give people aup a gou.
Speaker 2: What a minute? Maybe? So Gary saying beta Max.
Speaker 3: Adam is shouting out the Norman Jay Warren box set by Kerbay was big. First time I was blasted by extras. That's an interesting use of words, Adam. Ronnie says VHS dot dot dot something.
Speaker 4: This brain thing we got to see, like i'dee like Ronnie and I are.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be like.
Speaker 4: Fight club where like either Ronnie and I don't exist and it's.
Speaker 2: Just the same.
Speaker 4: He's like, Dan, you don't even been messaging on the board at the same time.
Speaker 2: All right, Dan, what is nineteen sixty Dan? Yeah, it's so weird.
Speaker 4: You never called me anything, all right, Damn, It's like Niza girls like Damn. Paul's pretty close. Yeah too, I mean, I mean, okay, so my date was nineteen seventy six, as far as my research can go, I mean, not my first purchases. I wasn't even fucking born yet. But Danny, Yeah, no one calls me Danny. By the way, the only two people in the world they are allowed to call me, actually three people that are allowed to call me Danny. Uh and not in this chat right now, Sam.
Speaker 2: Don't read the just don't read the description on today's video. Then I typed out that I was joined. I was said I was joined by old Dandy Sibner And then don't tell him I called him.
Speaker 4: Then isn't that far away?
Speaker 2: All right? Nineteen seventy six, the first at home VHS tape is made available in South Korea.
Speaker 4: Do you know what the title was?
Speaker 2: I don't know. The first one. No, I did not look that up.
Speaker 4: It was The Young Teacher, which was which came out in nineteen seventy two. And there's an little added asterisk to this. I actually realized I was curious about, so I looked into it yesterday. Do you want to know what the irony is? Do you want to guess?
Speaker 2: No? I don't know. Go ahead.
Speaker 4: There is no newer release this movie. There is no at least there's a laser disc, but there's no DVD, there's no blue ray, and there's certainly no four K.
Speaker 2: Brian will probably answer that he has the laser disc in just a minute.
Speaker 4: I'm sure he do. But it's so funny that that is like the first and then and forget it.
Speaker 3: So mine I had said May tenth, nineteen seventy five, and then I believe it was April of seventy six, and then later October seventy six. So May tenth, nineteen seventy five is the first commercially available Beta Max release for home video, and then April of nineteen seventy six, I believe was the first Japanese VHS for like they're actually releasing VHS for people to purchase. And then I think it was October or November it was available in the US finally.
Speaker 4: But when we say like may to buy.
Speaker 2: Yes, commercially available, but.
Speaker 4: You're still leasing your home.
Speaker 2: It's very expensive, yes, do you know?
Speaker 4: Actually? And I I might be wrong, but I believe I heard this from someone from the movie. But do you remember the first like vilely like just affordable, like you can just go in impulse purchased by this VHS tape, like no big deal, like oh, sure, twenty bucks, here you go.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I feel like it was back to the future. It was something big. Well, Home Alone, is that what you're Okay? I can remember what it was.
Speaker 2: Then again, I might be I feel like it was earlier that I felt like it was an Indiana Jones movie or something.
Speaker 4: When Batman came out, it was a big deal and I remember you could buy it, but I for some reason, someone in the casts at Home Alone said, it's like it was the first tape to just be like like available in a.
Speaker 2: Story just go pick it less than like sixty bucks. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: When you if you lost a VHS for those in the January too young to remember, if you lost a VHSA from the video store, you were done. The mafia came map you like under the twint it would show you what it was costing a cast. He was like one hundred and seventy five dollars.
Speaker 2: Like, you better not.
Speaker 3: I love Adams at the same price I just said. He said VHS and the UK in.
Speaker 2: The early at eies was sixty pounds to buy Jesus ridiculous. I mean, so for our first pick, we both went for literally the birth of home video, at least not necessarily physical media.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean you can go all the way back to physical.
Speaker 2: What are we laughing at.
Speaker 3: I'm laughing because Chris is getting to break with something that he made me laugh so hard last night at one o'clock in the morning on the phone that I woke my wife up.
Speaker 2: And it's a reference to that. Thanks Chris, you got me to break finally. Good job.
Speaker 4: I don't know JQHDY.
Speaker 3: I'll just say it right here, and I hope that somebody sends him the clip because It's hilarious. I told him that I was finally working with Howard s Berger on something, and Chris immediately said, oh.
Speaker 2: Did he ever work with Johnny Q? Hotdog? It's so fu.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you about that. I'm sorry, I mean like John Quigley, like Lean Quigley's husband or something like that.
Speaker 2: I know. Anyways, Yeah, we both went with the birth of home Video. What is your second one?
Speaker 4: Well you go, I went first on this one, so.
Speaker 2: You okay, okay, okay, I'll go first.
Speaker 4: This one, like, what do you call it?
Speaker 2: The style? Yes? Yeah, yeah, December one, nineteen eighty fours.
Speaker 4: Yes, we got the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, December first, nineteen eighty four. Yesh. Any guesses for this?
Speaker 3: Obviously we're looking about uh eight nine years later after what we were just talking about from seventy five to seventy six.
Speaker 2: Don't go, oh man, there's.
Speaker 4: No prize is involved, So don't feel like this's got This isn't the shelf shock rewind.
Speaker 2: Well, I probably should, you know, belabor it, because somebody literally.
Speaker 4: Even though Ryan is like selling off four hundred movies, he's not going to give you anything.
Speaker 3: Brian is saying, next is first special features by Criterion on laser disc. So December one, nineteen eighty four, Criterion released two titles, and the King Kong Commentary is the first scene specific audio commentary released on a home video. Released December first, nineteen eighty four. It was laser disc SPYE number two for Criterion number one with Citizen Kane. And this is a huge deal in home video because for now, most of us, these are the reasons that these are you know, important and specific for us, rather than you know, something other than having the film itself. It gives literally a supplemental feature to make the film more worth it, and when you're holding it at home, there's something there that is a big deal. So yeah, to get King Kong on laser disc included with a commentary, that was a huge deal.
Speaker 4: Well, pausing for a second, given that, where do you think Criterion now sits in the pantheon of physical media? I mean grandfather physical of special features? But now where where they stand now?
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously they're still, you know, incredibly respected by a ton of people.
Speaker 2: In my mind, they are.
Speaker 3: Barely like top seven or eight if I'm ranking all of the labels in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: And then is that what is that based on in your opinion, like where we were, I can come to that.
Speaker 2: I go to that with.
Speaker 3: Literally everything from supplemental features, to what they choose for encoding, for their restoration work, for their availability, for their prices, for their sales, for their extras, for their ability to innovate, for their packaging, for their.
Speaker 2: Reach.
Speaker 3: Nowadays, I've got, you know, a lot of things that I love about Criterion Still. I think that their prices are some of the best in the game, the fact that stuff is.
Speaker 2: In print for ages.
Speaker 3: Usually they get you know, probably two releases a year that for some reason are extra short compared to everything else. But for the most part, titles available so much. They're also you know, ubiquitously available in so many stores all across the country. It's really hard to argue with that compared to most other labels. However, their choices on special features, their choices on upgrading, their being so late to the game on four K, their.
Speaker 2: Inability to.
Speaker 3: Like personally connect with people compared to many of the other labels is a big deal. I think their title choice is still stupendous. I've really got nothing against that. Uh, And I think that since they started doing four K. They've done things very well for the most part.
Speaker 2: There's just a.
Speaker 3: Lot to be desired still, and when you start comparing them to labels that are putting out literally like borderline trash films in a much better release, more more respected for the filmmaker, with tons more special features, it's hard to really discount that.
Speaker 4: I hear what you're saying, and I there was a time not too long ag where I probably would have agreed one hundred percent of what you're saying. My my one push back to that kind of is that one. I feel like, especially this year, they have well, first they did a big adjustment because obviously they gave they got some rightful feedback, yeah about their variety, especially when it came to films that focus on, you know, people of color and queer cinema. I think they didn't have as much before and now they're kind of like, yeah, we're still doing that, and but then we're also going to give you the things you've been wanting as far as like big titles. So I do feel like there's a nice balance now as far as what people have come to Criterion to expect, whereas the special features. If we're going to have a streaming network. I feel like Criterion does it best and they have taken the plethora of special features and gone, let's not put them here, let's put him here, which I get, but at the same time, it feels like a slap to the face of the people that are buying.
Speaker 2: The physical that have been there for decades with.
Speaker 4: But you have to have And again it's like, well, you're not going to lose the subscribers to the streaming network if you put them on the physical, because there's still very much two different parties.
Speaker 2: So you could do both.
Speaker 4: So all those like little like interview roundtable things that they do, they could certainly put it out on there. The sales can't. I mean the fact it is, if it comes out the week after the sale starts, you're getting it for fifty percent off. Yeah, that's really good because they don't have to do that. They could be like, we are the original, we are the best. You're paying us the money.
Speaker 3: That being said, I do empathize with people like Diabolic DVD who pre sales Criterion stuff and then if they release in July, they're like fuck you with thirty five dollars and criterions got it on sale in store for twenty five bucks and people complain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I mean Kino has the same thing, because like a Quino sales like seventeen ninety nine, it's like.
Speaker 2: Barns Normles is like, uh right, dollars, there's anything. What I was gonna say, I'm really excited for our number three and beyond now because I feel like this is where we're going to start to in very different actions.
Speaker 4: But what I will say one more thing about Criterion is that no, I'm completely blank, uh yeah, I think they still deserve credit in the sense that for sure. That's what I was gonna say, is that you have all of these newer, younger labels and groups that grew up on Criterion, and we're like, I'm gonna do something different and more getting like you know, Soong Girls, you know, Beach Party four with a big thick box because because we had Criterion.
Speaker 3: You know, somebody like fran at Radiance who started with Aero Academy and is now doing Radiance and is basically the new Criterion essentially.
Speaker 4: Exactly the apprentice has now become the master. And it feels like I kind of like when when Ready Player one came out or anything new. It's just like you've waited too long. It's like you needed to give this movie to someone who still had the nostalgia.
Speaker 2: I was so confused where that was going.
Speaker 4: I know, well, it's like I wanted to say, like all directors at this point, like the ones that we grew up on, have kind of not some much gotten burned out. But it's like you have a finite number of like look for a long time of tire. You can't make the gems every single time. You're gonna run out. Like even I love Stephen King, but not every book. It is like the greatest book in the world, Like you look, you wrote a lot of books, but like Ready Player one was like I guess all directors, it's like, but I'm not going to put myself in the movie. It's like, but that's what people want. People want your stuff open. When people and fell in love with that book is it was all about Spielberg in the eighties and stuff like you should have gotten someone who still is like, you know, I love this stuff, you know, and not made it out the nineties. Anyway, Yes, let's move on. So my third day is nineteen ninety two, I don't have an exact month or day.
Speaker 2: Different interesting, So now I have to guess. You have to guess.
Speaker 4: And then the check got the track and guests for the Man You can you can?
Speaker 2: Yes, nineteen ninety two. Yes, hmm. This could be a handful of things.
Speaker 4: This is a deep cut in terms of like how what was prevalent to me as far as collecting physical media, like it meant something to me.
Speaker 3: The Burger King Special Edition where they sent VHS tapes home with the kids.
Speaker 2: Meal, Well, that wasn't an insult, that was an actual option.
Speaker 4: You saw that picture of me, I was going to McDonald's.
Speaker 2: I'm still going to McDonald's. Ooh, that's a good that's a good guess. Disney VHS tapes.
Speaker 4: I see it's not those.
Speaker 2: Thank you Mozart's ghost exactly.
Speaker 4: They you remember the it wasn't BK, it was Pizza Hut.
Speaker 2: Wasn't a pizza I believe bird TM and T.
Speaker 4: Then Pizza Hut had X Men. But it's like you went there and it's like you get to trade it in. You have to buy a couple episodes of X Men.
Speaker 2: Brandon enjoy SNTO Songret loved that film.
Speaker 4: My friend today, take care random all right?
Speaker 2: What is nineteen ninety two?
Speaker 4: Anyone I ask us is five four we two?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: Nineteen nine two the UK starts issuing Letterbox widescreen VHS tapes more than it was always pan and scam because I remember going up with sun Coast Video where there was a special section for people like me who wanted letterbox, and I even costs moorn. It was like they've all boarded differently special and very boarded. Some had like the whole white like wines or this is Leonard buck just a heads up. It's like careful people before you walk in here. You know there's even before like Blockbuster, people have to start explaining.
Speaker 2: To be like what is letterboxing? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And now letterboxes is an app?
Speaker 3: Yeah, something that goes down on a Thursday night and everybody complains about.
Speaker 4: Do you want to take a guess into some of the films that were the first to be released in the UK, I think the first region.
Speaker 2: To do it. Let's go with Wickerman.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, your safe bets are probably your best. So Wickerman's like, go, you gotta go safe guy, What do you think?
Speaker 2: Casablanco Wizard of Oz you're closed.
Speaker 4: You're closing. Yeah, you're close. This is nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 3: Okay, uh back to the future Indiana Jones. Yeah, Lawrence of Arabia. That's a great guess.
Speaker 4: You are very close. You are so hot, you're under my arm hits right now.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Maybe had all the rubber Chicken McNuggets with the faces and the.
Speaker 2: Star Wars Empire strikes back.
Speaker 4: You got Star Wars Stars Trilogy.
Speaker 2: Terminator two. That's a good guess.
Speaker 4: But I don't think that would have come out of vih On ninety three because.
Speaker 2: You get a much longer theatrical runs.
Speaker 4: It was like a ten month run, yep.
Speaker 3: Or if your Titanic, it's two and a half years. And yeah, good, this is a good pick. Completely understand the reason why.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, first I'll tell you this. It was first two Diehard films, the Star Wars trilogy and the Alien Trilogy.
Speaker 2: Wow. That that last one is kind of an impressive pick.
Speaker 4: Well again, that might have been like these were some of the first because Alien three I think came out in ninety one.
Speaker 2: Jaws, that's a good guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Jaws like safe bets, Like what do you every time a format comes out. Now, these are the movies that people buy.
Speaker 2: This thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's Father's Day, give them, give them, you know, dirty Happy see I.
Speaker 3: And that's I was thinking, like Ronnie was, I was totally expecting British films primarily.
Speaker 4: Again, it's like it's like the Brits are just like we want what you have. It's so funny because I just watched an interview with Tom Cruise with BFI last night where he talked about how when he started going over to the UK, like they were not doing summer blockbusters in Europe because there's no air conditioning in the theater, so no one's going to sit through. These two all get and he's like, well, why don't we just put some freaking air conditioner in there and we can send our movies over there. And he came up with the red Carpet premiere.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: He's like he would want to go to these like different countries and learn about cultures and what films they put out and how they put them out. And they're like, well, I don't have any time to do this because I'm making movies all the time.
Speaker 2: So he's like, well, why don't we do.
Speaker 4: The worldwide premieres all around the world, so I have a time where I can go there for work and and and walk around and see these places. So yeah, so it was like, no one's put out mister Bean on VHS. They're like, yeah, no, we watched it on the Telly. You know, you know, we want the American side. But it's if about March twenty second, nineteen eighty one. Oh, are you challenging me now, Chris Urrh Is that the probably?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's asking on.
Speaker 4: I wont hold against you. They took out that year.
Speaker 2: My name is Fines.
Speaker 4: It's fine, It's fine, it's fine. Mark March twenty second, nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks for the end of our Academy racial movies. I don't have that memory. Sorry, it is it the end of Beta Max? Did Beta Max die? I don't know, Christopher, please don't. All right, I'm gonna go for my number three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my number three is May of nineteen ninety five. I can't find a very specific date, but May.
Speaker 4: Last my date. My next date is before yours.
Speaker 2: But yes, interesting, so you got a very close one then, so what okay, what was the date again? May of nineteen ninety five? May nineteen nine.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I'm fourteen years old. I am nineteen ninety five, all right, So we're talking like before that was before the Rock, So we're talking about Crimson time. I'm gonna go with Strokes.
Speaker 2: That is a good guess. No, that had been earlier.
Speaker 4: That had been earlier around ninety because I remember when Batman came out, it was across the streets. So yeah, no, they would have already been open nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 3: And I'll also say after this one mine, my next one is like more than a decade.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, My dude jumps very jumps a lot.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say, I don't think you do something like Criterions first DVD because it's like this. It's the same that I'm gonna say the Disney Vault gets created.
Speaker 2: No, No, I that is funny, but no.
Speaker 4: This one we're gonna get to it.
Speaker 2: Don't worry. This one is interesting.
Speaker 3: I gary saying, did we skip DVD? I am sort of for this one, kind of choosing a cheater where I'm like doing the transition period for DVD. May of nineteen ninety five is actually the founding of Anchor Bay Entertainment. Oh okay, This is where we get Starmaker Entertainment and Handleman merging together to perform Incorba Entertainment in May of nineteen ninety five, all of like the smaller labels all came together to make this powerhouse of Ancorby Entertainment. And in the late nineties and into the two thousands, of course, is where they they really entered their heyday. This is where we start getting the re release, the abundance of like twelve evil Dead covers showing up in Best Buy, people literally going in and purchasing all of them because they were being because they were being turned into collectors. And InCor Bay started that cult stuff a couple of years after this May nineteen ninety five, but it wasn't until this merger. And I'm so glad that he was here earlier. Danny from Australia who's helping John with the documentary on Acre Bay. I can't wait to see what they are able to share on that whole story, because it really is sort of a catalyst for this collector's culture that we have nowadays of physical media, where without Anchor Bay, first of all, we don't get Blue Underground, we don't get seven, We don't get all of these people that were invested literally in some of the most famous films of all time in the cult and underground side of things.
Speaker 2: Oh, Danny still here? What's going on?
Speaker 3: Danny, shout out, Ankorba, send me your doc when it's treddi. I want to watch it, please. I cannot wait for it. But yeah, I think that this one was too big of a deal to not bring up because without Ancorbay in the late nineties and early two thousands, you don't get the first off, like I said, many of the companies we have today, but you don't get this proliferation of major cult titles being in Circuit City, in Fry's Entertainment, in Best Buy, in like grocery stores, in you know, showing up in people sharing things like the full collector's edition of all the hard box Ancorba, things like the Wooden Wickerman set and everything else. Jesus, the doc is five hours at the moment, there's still two interviews to film.
Speaker 2: That's incredible.
Speaker 3: I know the Anchor Bay Entertainment in name only is back, but it's not anywhere near like what it was before.
Speaker 2: Now it's a.
Speaker 3: Completely different thing and all that, But literally Anchor Bay Entertainment as as an entity deserves at least to mention on this because of what they did for physical media at the time.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you bring that up, because I honestly did toy with like certain labels, like is there a label I can bring up other than Criterion that's going to be right? And it's just like we discussed how Criterion kind of gave way to the special features that now we have, like these big box things. It's like, would you say that because you know, I was I was aware of Anchor Babe. I didn't know it was called Anger Base, but I remember those additions being in Best Buy? Yeah, would you say that Anchor Bay is the birth point of those people that were Criterion fans that went on to like give birth to this, like, hey, why don't we do something really special for kung fu? Why don't we do something very special for a part? Why don't we do some special for schlock and and and created this like these niche categories of like we're going to do this and this, but only for.
Speaker 3: This in a way yes, but also in a way no, because really it Anchor Bay was like Criterion on Acid, like they're doing the things that we're getting from like Indicator and Vinegar Syndrome nowadays where it's growth, there's tons of special features and brand new commissioned art with seven different options and all that stuff, lenticular covers, whatever you could possibly do to get these things sold off the shelves. And these were twenty dollars at the time, which was a lot more than twenty dollars nowadays, and they would sell by the five hundred thousands in week one literally for some of them.
Speaker 4: You're like the William Cassel physical media. Yeah, it's all I mean, very much severn. I mean because if you look at like the stuff like the light up eyes box is like very much a thing that you would keep with Anchor back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, Anchor Bay was worked. They were innovative, they were prolific. They put out tons of the titles. So many of the archival features that we're getting on releases nowadays are archival features from Inkerbay titles.
Speaker 4: Oh, the Dawn of the Dead set, the one that everyone the blue, the purple and black thick bought. That's Anchor Bay, right, The music that it.
Speaker 2: Was, it was it was red and black, but.
Speaker 4: Red and black okay, yeah, yeah, yes, the Red and Black, that one that everyone stills like, this is perfectly good.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, and that's still the best release of the film in the US. I remember that.
Speaker 4: I remember I think the early days of going to book off and someone like having that on the shelf, and it was like, what are thirty forty bucks?
Speaker 2: Allright?
Speaker 4: Yes, first, and it would not be the last purchase of Army of Darkness.
Speaker 2: I keep pulling that down before you finished reading. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Blockbuster was nineteen eighty five, Nice Things, Mozart Black.
Speaker 4: It was one of those things where it's like when you find out that like Trader Joe's has been around since the sixties and it's blows and you're like, wait, what all right? Taco Bell was like for around like the fifty This didn't didn't look like Taco Bell. It just looked like a writular, not like Taco place.
Speaker 2: So I guess I gotta do my number four now, because we're doing back and forth. Is that how we're doing it? Yes? Go ahead, well, yes, go ahead.
Speaker 3: So my number four is gonna be way later than your next number four. My number four is November seventeenth, two thousand and.
Speaker 2: Six, Oh got you, You've flown back.
Speaker 3: Way past you onlat November seventeenth, two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: This is this was a big, big deal for me. For sure, we'll joined the aga.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I was reading K's comback.
Speaker 2: What would you say?
Speaker 3: November seventeenth, two thousand and six. KP says, my first DVD is my wife's savorite movie, Wizard of Us.
Speaker 2: Convince your way. I bought the new place, I think.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, I think I know what it is based on one of mine. I don't want it. Hold on, how about this? Let me do my fourth because it comes before yours. Okay, should we do that?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 4: Go ahead, because I feel like yours is the is possibly connected to my fifth one? Probably okay, okay, So nineteen ninety three, this is you want to We don't have to spend much time on this. This but this is just a fun little thing. The date is nineteen ninety three. So if you want to get a sap in the dark, I have. He's so bad, I will be one two minutes to take a guess. Nineteen ninety three is a very broad time. A locking out in ninety three, I'm going to go ba.
Speaker 3: Yes it did, and now I feel like it's a title specific thing to guess.
Speaker 2: Yes, it ends, of course nineteen ninety three. What is.
Speaker 3: Ninety three? And it's probably very specific to mister simonar Jurassic Park. I honestly would not surprise me, although that might even be nineteen ninety four for the first release of that because of how long it played theaters. Who that could be Terminator too? Ooh, sound wise first Blu ray box set. Oh, you're still talking about November seventeen, two thousand and six. We'll talk about that when he was second nineteen ninety three though, that is a great question. And by the way, I don't think Chris ever answered if anybody else has like pivotal moments that were bypassing things.
Speaker 2: Oh, Chris did answer.
Speaker 3: He said March twenty second of eighty one was the day that Ceed was born. That is so specific. I did not know that at all. A Simner says he's peeing and texting me. He says it's a physical release. KB still loves all the THHX intros. Absolutely all right. I think of anything else that could be nineteen ninety three, I don't I took a couple extra notes, but nothing for ninety three, so it's gotta be something.
Speaker 2: Maybe that means something more to him, even huh, nineteen ninety three, is that the first DVD? Because I know I bypassed that.
Speaker 4: I'm gone, I'm coming any good guesses.
Speaker 3: I just said, maybe it's the first DVD thing, but that's probably not it.
Speaker 4: No, No, it's a it's a title specific.
Speaker 3: Ninety three when hm V opened up in Canada and US, because I believe I remember there opening sale, getting Jurassic Park for ninety nine cents on vhs.
Speaker 4: Mean I like that, that's cool. That's a fun fact. No, it's not that one, but yes, that's cool.
Speaker 2: T two.
Speaker 4: That's T two. It's so far from T two, it's it's not even funny.
Speaker 2: DVD is ninety nine? Yeah, I thought it was later.
Speaker 4: Okay, So the nineteen ninety three Criterion releases Sallow on laser discs and later on DVD in nineteen ninety eight, giving birth to a million and one online, means that's it, all right, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's told you.
Speaker 4: It's them Mark fun You wonter you'd be like, you know, like the president of Readings was bored.
Speaker 3: It's funny. It's a good pick. All right, what's the next one? Are we are we bypassing mine? Are we going back to two thousand and six?
Speaker 4: We're so we're so next? Okay, I will tell you my next date, and you tell me if you think that they're tied.
Speaker 2: Tom to yours. I date My next are two dates, April eighteenth, two thousand and six and June twentieth, two thousand and six.
Speaker 3: They are related to my thing. But my thing is an answer to yours.
Speaker 4: That I figured. That's why I was like, all right, so that buring that mind.
Speaker 2: I love that I just described yours in full and everybody's probably going to know it. Now.
Speaker 4: This is a come on people, Yes, come on, let's let's get one. You can guess it, and then we'll let Ryan tell his date, and then I'll.
Speaker 3: Yes jumping all the way from ninety three to two thousand and six, and mine was a jump from ninety five to two.
Speaker 2: Thousand and six.
Speaker 3: So KB says Blu ray beat a HD DVD, Sibner, why don't you share your two dates and what they both mean.
Speaker 4: So April eighteen, two thousand and six is when HD DVD premiered. June twenty eth two thousand and six is when Blu Ray premiered, and it is starting the first and only format war that has ever existed, because every format has since come out and taken down the previous, but never has there been two formats at the same time buying.
Speaker 3: For theoretically very similar things that they're fighting for. And my pick was the same year, November seventeen, two thousand and six. This was the release date in the US of the PlayStation three, which was the date that signified the end of HD DVD. By this point, multiple studios had already said they would stop releasing HD DVDs.
Speaker 2: And they would be moving over to Blu Ray.
Speaker 3: Only Warner is the last one that held out, and that was I think their last HG DVD was like early two thousand and eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, big date for me. The first two season, said Louison, that's a good ronnie.
Speaker 3: I mean, VHS and Beta Max definitely fought a format war.
Speaker 4: They fought it, but Beta Max had been out for a while, yes, and then VHS came, like I say, like one is the bigger fish that took down the next one, like Laser that took down VHS, and then like like RIP and then DVD.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, good job. Wave Wave is the one that got the PS three thing.
Speaker 4: So my well, because Xbox did play HDDVD, so.
Speaker 3: They had a separate HD DVD player. It was not built into the console itself. You had to pay for a separate drive.
Speaker 4: My argument has always been this is just my personal opinion. When it came out is I looked at it, I said, well, this, this looks cool. The blue looks coore than this ugly maroon, even though most people will say that the AGD actually looked better than the Blu Ray. Yeah, but I mean you're calling this HD DVD, referring it to high depth previous format, and now you're frolling this thing of Blu ray, which it sounds cool. And blue, as a lot of people know, is like the color that colleges will paint their classrooms blue to keep your attention, and so blue just drives your attentionent right on the shelf. And yes, the PlayStation three and porn porn would not support HDDVD, as anyone who's seen Tropic Thunder knows this.
Speaker 2: Yes, Brian is right. I believe there are about a dozen movies that are still unique to HD DVD.
Speaker 4: That have not never having had a Blu ray.
Speaker 2: You were having any other HD release, Yes.
Speaker 4: Okay, I did. I'd be curious. Do you do you know any of those would be curious?
Speaker 3: No, I don't remember them, but I did have the list at one point, and.
Speaker 2: It wants to be they brought it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Brian, I'm sure has at least a couple of you knows later. So that was number my number four, and that was your number five, right, Yes, so I should probably do.
Speaker 2: My number five.
Speaker 3: Yes, my number five is probably going to be a silly one for some people, but mine is going to be June twenty ninth, two thousand and nine.
Speaker 2: June twenty ninth, two.
Speaker 4: Thousand the head of mine. Yes, I forgot. Yeah, Oh sorry, I forgot.
Speaker 2: We're getting June twenty ninth, two thousand and nine.
Speaker 4: June twenty nine, two thousand and nine. Okay, so now we're well in the blue, right A cud is done. We're past the idea you bring up many discs.
Speaker 2: This is not a U m DS for PSP.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, I know that one that like would mission impossible itself, like once you watched it once and just erase the just erase that would be hilarious. No, I mean that was a thing just never caught on the.
Speaker 2: Nine we got a winner, Ronnie says.
Speaker 3: The start of an Arrow and nine Arrow video in the UK releases Dario Argento Sleepless, and then they also released macab their second title, on the same day. I I kind of see this as the first like Anchor bay uh, not necessarily spin off, but like inspiration.
Speaker 2: A copycat type of come need to come up.
Speaker 3: And it really signified like, Okay, here we go, We're about to get a whole bunch of them. And Aro being around since two thousand and nine, I think is something that a lot of people don't realize. Technically, Aro Films has been around for even longer than that. They've been around for like thirty five years. But they did theatrical distribution. This is their first home video. Thing was around since like the eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, you know it has been long all yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, June twenty nine, two thousand and nine, they put out their first two releases and it really, you know, brought more people to the frame. We've got Arrow starting up here, and we've got a competition. Finally, we've got people that are showing we can put more into these releases. You're going to want to put more into your releases. We're going to work hard to make these great. And that is when we get things like people leaving Anchor Bay to start Blue Underground in the mid two thousands, we've got Severn coming out of the rubble of some of that.
Speaker 2: Synaps.
Speaker 3: What Synaps have been around the early nineties, completely different thing. They they they were wild history. But yeah, Synaps being there for so long was great. But I really think Arrow signified the start of like true competition in in the label side of things.
Speaker 4: Were they were the window cases, their first ones.
Speaker 3: Those were the first ones on Arrow films, not on Arow Video. Okay, Sleepless and Macab were not window releases.
Speaker 4: What did Arrow? What did those look like?
Speaker 2: Uh? They were? Uh?
Speaker 3: I don't think they were slip covered. I think they were just regular DVD cases if I remember right.
Speaker 4: Because the window has always been the oldest Arrow I can think of.
Speaker 3: These were Sleepless and MiCab were I believe DVD's not.
Speaker 4: We're back in the DD so we skipped ahead and were back to yes.
Speaker 3: Because it really was the start of Arrow diving into the physical side.
Speaker 4: So this was two thousand and nine. That's interesting that they would start with DVDs and not do both at the same.
Speaker 3: They started very quickly on blue rays shortly after that, but their first releases were dvdally.
Speaker 4: See, it's interesting. That's funny because the fact that that UK was the first to put out the wide screen, but they put out American films and then the Arrow puts out a DVD when the blue rays are Oh interesting, all right, an early window.
Speaker 2: I love the Window.
Speaker 4: Honestly. If I find the Window ones, I buy them this. Yeah, I have the let's say, all the work, my oregentization this and I'm glad I bought it because I remember message you and it's like, hey, are they gonna put out like a more advancer And You're like, no, it's not because because Disney owns.
Speaker 2: It, yep.
Speaker 4: And I mean for for twenty five dollars. I I'll just take that price that I got there, and just the artwork inside and there's so much much in there, really like booklets and cards and just like really really zero there's a poster in there.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: Oh man, man, damn show god.
Speaker 2: Damn it.
Speaker 4: You take one thing out of the whole thing just goes. Okay, mine might be a little controversial, but I definitely has its place. January two thousand and seven. This is where as as we go ahead, you're gonna have to broaden your mind as so far as the life of physical media and the things that affect physical media and the world at large. You really have to broaden the direct impacts of stuff on physical.
Speaker 2: Was this the last VHS? It's not so.
Speaker 4: As a side question, do you know what the last DVD?
Speaker 2: No? Well, I mean technically they're still making them, but.
Speaker 4: Less or less DVD, the less official. Yeah, the last official of vhs?
Speaker 2: Do you know that one? No, I don't. I believe I'm got this right.
Speaker 4: It's a history of violence.
Speaker 2: That would make sense. Oh is it Netflix DVD service?
Speaker 4: No, it is net is Netflix premiere close?
Speaker 2: It's very close.
Speaker 4: It's Netflix, so generous have Netflix premieres that are watch now feature, which eventually gives way to the all streaming service. So this is really like someone presenting the plans for the Death Star. It's like, this is this is how we're going to do it, and it's not based on I really do believe it was. It was never based on like oh, we're gonna make you more convenient for people. It's we're going to take control, right. You know, you will need to come to us for your for your drugs. You must always come back. You cannot take it with you. Because this was around the same time, if anyone remembers, if anyone's also a video game player, E three Xbox was like you must be online to play games, and you must log in, and you must do this, and you cannot share, and you cannot you must have the original disc. And then PlayStation was just like, hey, how about this, go fuck yourself and all this here and watch this is how it works. And it was like the greatest. It was like it was like Madonna and this just got up on stage and started, you know, do it ran two random people there, but yeah, just being that you go back on YouTube and watch that that E three conference on the PlayStation, he would just lost there. But they were just ecstatic. You think they were like it was over being like you get a PlayStation, and you get a play station, you get a PlayStation. Yeah, the Hot Skin Ruis and VHS all at self through Pride. Okay, nice Yary, thank you. I've tried to easier done. So I guess it wasn't home alone. It's stalking there you go, he does everything all right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Uh on that.
Speaker 3: I mean as Netflix. I mean, we all know what to say here. It's uh, you know, it's still wild.
Speaker 2: To me that it's not the enemy, it's.
Speaker 3: The Blockbuster had an opportunity to buy Netflix and passed on it.
Speaker 2: In a way.
Speaker 3: Pretty much all of this was inevitable in a way, in a capitalistic uh I need it, and I need it now is society.
Speaker 2: But man, it just set us up for a whole lot of failure.
Speaker 4: What's the same idea as the low tier movie and the and the and the blockbuster? I p and there's no room for the middle ground movies come out? Can't speak with Disney cars? Was the last minute that wow, Disney Cars? So this wasn't hers too. Yeah, So it's it's what I was gonna say, inevitable.
Speaker 2: Netflix isn't the enemy.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's not the enemy, but it's it's it's the Oh yeah, the mid tier movie, the high tier movie. There's no middle tier movie anymore. So you can have streaming again. We talked about this before with the you know, take criterion, taking the special features and cleaning them on their their channel. Disney can put out whatever it is on physical. You're not losing your streaming customers. Those are the those people, don't They're not us. You're just gonna get our money still. But basically what they're saying is your money is not enough. Yeah, like your money is just.
Speaker 2: Like that's not worthy enough to us to make that stuff for you anymore, even though it's like we have enough of it.
Speaker 4: It's it's not enough money.
Speaker 2: What number was that on your list? So?
Speaker 4: One, two, three, four, five, six?
Speaker 2: That was my sixth.
Speaker 3: So that was your sixth, And I think I'm jumping way ahead of yours because I really wanted to make the bottom half of mine pretty modern twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: My next one is twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: Jesus, so my I think, okay, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Probably my number six is Valentine's Day twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: February fourteenth, twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: What did you and the misses do.
Speaker 2: In twenty sixteen? I don't remember. She wasn't the missus at that moment.
Speaker 4: I would say how old your first son?
Speaker 3: Or wait, I said twenty sixteen? She was the missus at the moment I was thinking of I'm sorry, Yes, I already had a child in twenty.
Speaker 2: Six, nine years ago. I was like, yeah, he was only a year old. Okay, it's not great.
Speaker 3: So yeah, this is my last out right, this is my last super obvious one. But this is the first glut of four K discs that all came out in the in one day. And man, did we have a wild first batch. So we have Kingsman, The Secret Service, The Martian Mays, Runner, The Scorch Trials, Exodus, Gods and Kings, Fantastic four, Wild and Hitman Agent forty seven are all the first four K titles.
Speaker 4: We're talking about fan fan for stick We're talking about the I believe it's Sticky, Okay, Okay, I have Exodus. I found Exodus at a good will and I needed it because it was it was a really shot film. But I remember the controversy of that movie.
Speaker 3: So I I didn't you know, if you'll notice, I didn't do anything other than like the birth of Physical DA I didn't do the first VHS. Really, I didn't do the first DVD. I didn't really do the first Blu ray. But this one, I still think this is going to be the pinnacle of physical media on home video stuff. I don't see us going. You know, technically, there is an eight K format that exists that we already know what it's going to be, you know, if they're that way, But I don't think they're going to be commercially available for home purchase.
Speaker 4: I think it's going to be more about upscaling.
Speaker 3: In a way that that or like we're going to do higher bit rate streams eventually where we could do even higher Yeah, but that's like what we're pushing to.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: It is an awful list of first four K titles, but it gets us to where we are today in a world where we can get Tammy and the t Rex and four K, we can get you know, pink films that are coming out in the highest definition ever imaginable. We're getting releases of you know, Peck and Pause four K and competing releases from across the world.
Speaker 2: That is amazing.
Speaker 3: Adam, you say three D four K kidding, This is theoretically possible and something that people are already speculating will be happening eventually.
Speaker 4: So I'm sure Cameron will trust me. One of those avatars will off ventually be three D four. Don't don't you worry?
Speaker 3: That was that was my number six. It was my last obvious one. So I'll let you do one or two in a row so we can get cut up.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: Funny thing is just going back to side thing for a while, is that the first four k's if you remember, the special features had to be on a second disc.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: And that's like a big step, like we I was like, why do I have or like the special features are still just on the blue ray original studio disc and the four K is and I was like, that's not an advantage. Now I got to replace the discs again. This is you know, I also want to if you rewind a little bit to the PlayStation three then when it ever got a Pacing three at that time, you know, back when it was the big boy, you got to choose five blu rays to to do you remember, did you have a PS three?
Speaker 3: I did have a p S three. I didn't have I didn't have a launch TAPS three. I got it later. I think my first one was the PS three Slim, So it was.
Speaker 4: The option of getting five bluers. Gine, I remember then, and I hold.
Speaker 2: On, I don't remember.
Speaker 3: I remember like a couple of titles that friends got, but I don't remember any of mine.
Speaker 4: Okay, let me say I'm gonna remember it.
Speaker 2: My five.
Speaker 4: It was The Prestige, sword Fish, The Patriot.
Speaker 2: Okay, I want to say American Psycho maybe, but I think maybe that would be a weird thing to offer. Spider Man three is probably one of the options.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that was at the time. I don't know if they had R rated films. I don't think you were allowed to option that.
Speaker 2: American Psycho is definitely R rated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I don't thinking. Maybe it wasn't Americans. I was just an earlier, earlier allions Gate title. Other five I remember because they just started, like the cases started wearing and decaying like on the spine after a while. I'll try and remember the other two. I can't remember right now, but maybe it was. Yeah, I honestly cannot remember. I know those three. Those definitely those three. My next title, you're so you're so nice to announce. I can't that that's going to give away, all right, my my my. The date. The start date is March twenty fourth, twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: The start date the.
Speaker 4: Significant date is March twenty fourth, twenty eleven. There's more to it, but it's March twenty fourth, twenty eleven. It's the key date.
Speaker 2: Well, now I'm confusing myself. I think March twenty fourth, twenty eleven it's a key date. While you're doing that, I'm gonna think of my other two titles I got from Sony. Is this like the first release of The Lord of the Rings Deluxe Editions or something? No, we do want to hand it's it's me being a little bit of a taking the piss. Okay, then I'm not gonna get it.
Speaker 4: I got it, and I'm gonna say it gets a couple a couble And then to figure that.
Speaker 2: Out, hit me with the March twenty eleven you want it out? Yeah, I want to know.
Speaker 4: Sorry, March twenty four, twenty eleven, Arrow issues It's first replacement desk.
Speaker 2: It didn't a lot of research to figure this out. This is really good. Oh man, that is very funny.
Speaker 4: You announced the beginning of their company. I'm like, it's the first time they had to fix something.
Speaker 2: Oh god, the first one.
Speaker 4: Was I actually I may have like just completely blanked on which title it was and there's more titles. These are the ones I could find.
Speaker 3: Gary Garius is March twenty eleven or and my first marathon? What if that was your your answer? Hey, that guy Gary in the chat that's usually there. I think he ran his first marathon?
Speaker 2: Maker what if I that was?
Speaker 4: That was a just the date I picked the first marathon garby.
Speaker 2: Man first arrow replacement disc was twenty eleven.
Speaker 4: For going forward, we've got twelve Monkeys, Caugh, Awakening of the Beast in the Coffin Joe, Set, Donny Darko, The Cell, The Beyond the Way of the Dragon from the Golden Harvest, Set Henry Portrait of Asia, Demons one and two, The Birth, the Crystal Plumage, Zombie Flesh Eaters, Theater of Blood, Shivers, and Incredible but True. Those are the ones I could find that had an official replacement program. There are other forums that are like, you fucked up and you never did anything about it. These are ones with official replacement programs that they're like, yeah, yeah, we find.
Speaker 3: There are many more. Donnie Darko, Coffin Joe, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, Donnie Arga was Yeah. They definitely were like we messed up on the sound or the color, time. There are others where they're like the aspect ratios off and like fucking nerd, you're getting one five and that's it, so shut up?
Speaker 3: Oh man, uh that is that is a hilarious pic.
Speaker 2: Why don't you go ahead with thro your next one? Then?
Speaker 4: Okay, May seventeenth, twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a jump in time. Yeah, seventeen, twenty nineteen. I'm going to say this feels like a vinegar syndrome thing. Did is this the date you bought your first vinegar syndrome title?
Speaker 4: That nothing in here is my personal that I got it. This is all official, Ronnie says, second me, like, I liked this, but it's not me personally doing it.
Speaker 3: I think Second Site actually started quite a bit earlier than twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: Paul is guessing label specific I will get back in.
Speaker 2: It is labels, the stable specifics. Is this? Uh uh? For some reason, I'm feeling like this is a shout factory thing.
Speaker 4: You're so close, You're so close, it's like it's like your next door.
Speaker 2: It's like you're just walk across the lawn and just give a knock. Well, now I'm confused.
Speaker 4: Dark Forces attends its first alt right.
Speaker 2: Oh is it the first VS four K or something.
Speaker 4: You're so close, Like you're literally like right there in the room.
Speaker 2: Just take a few steps now. VS subs have been around for quite some time, Adam so close.
Speaker 4: Everyone's so close. Everyone's just like bumping into one another trying to like get into the room.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny, It's it's in the past for both of us now, so I can I know that neither one of us are going to pick it.
Speaker 2: I almost put on the.
Speaker 3: Big Halloween box set when Screen Factory originally released it.
Speaker 2: It was a big deal. I was going to put the date there.
Speaker 3: Because they accidentally sent them I think it was oldies dot Com was selling them for like thirty dollars and they were supposed to be like one hundred and forty or something.
Speaker 4: Wait, I miss out. Sam was saying, how he's out of his depth.
Speaker 2: Sorry, what were you saying?
Speaker 3: That the Halloween box set was originally sold much cheaper than it should be and they sent out a bunch of them.
Speaker 2: Oh anyways, okay, what is your pick here?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm gonna say before that there was the prior thirteenth ten that was loa. I remember that being a best buy and it was like forty bucks, and I just kept waiting and waiting. I should have just jumped on it, and we had to wait all that time when it was like three hundred dollars until that I many copies of the Meat of the Screen Factory box set, like forty million copies.
Speaker 2: Okay, May of twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: May nineteenth, May seventeenth, twenty nineteen. He know releases Hannibal, Oh.
Speaker 2: The Best by Hannibal.
Speaker 4: First boutique label four K.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Is the reason we're here tonight. But they are the very first. Do you know who the second label to put out? Why am I get this wrong? It might have been shouting with the Deer Hunter. But if I'm not mistaken, do you know who the second company to put out four K isou?
Speaker 2: Are we sure that the Deer Hunter four K is not second? For sure? It's not? Okay?
Speaker 4: Then then I'm pretty sure I know what it is. I don't know the title, I know the I know the label.
Speaker 2: I don't know that one.
Speaker 4: It's it's not what you think it literally, you guys gotta whatever you're thinking, turn around, go the opposite direction.
Speaker 2: You know what I feel like?
Speaker 3: Shout actually did some four ks that were like the Air Force four K or something like that.
Speaker 2: That was very early.
Speaker 4: I don't know anything about that, Christopher. You might be right with the pitch black from Arrow, but I think there was one US label before them that puts something out and I remember going did not see them being the ones to do this.
Speaker 2: Was it Blue Underground.
Speaker 4: It is so not Blue Hunter. It's like if Blue Underground is like the redheaded, like bum child of the family, this is like the prim and proper, like highly accomplished like he he like, I'm the favorite.
Speaker 2: I don't know this one flicker Rally a UHD.
Speaker 4: Of what I do not remember the time. You can look at it if you want to google it. I should have googled it myself. But I remember them putting I was like, flick er Rally's putting out a four K of what, like what is it going to look like? And this was before we actually knew that like old films would looked really really good.
Speaker 2: But it was some.
Speaker 4: Like Light through the Tunnel.
Speaker 2: They don't even have uhds listed on their site.
Speaker 4: It was I do know what happened. I did not dream this up.
Speaker 2: I don't think has done a uhd at all work.
Speaker 3: I certainly don't remember them doing one. In twenty nineteen, they did four K restorations.
Speaker 4: This was they may have been canceled. I remember this was a big as far as I know. Not Coming has released a sound film on the four K. I figured the ones like Nothing, Foolish Wives.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: New rivals from Flicker and Queen their first four K release. Yeah, just six years ago. New rivals from Flicker Out and Clean their first four K release, Flying Clipper.
Speaker 2: It's just a four K restoration.
Speaker 4: Presented in for the Golden Head. How does it look? A feelius recover? According to the new or I was written Clean.
Speaker 3: It does say four K. Uhg, you are correct April second, twenty nineteen. That's even earlier than uh what you're looking at real?
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, I guess you're right. Although Kino still holds claim that they are the first to put out a four.
Speaker 2: K, of course they do, uh Mozart says, I believe him.
Speaker 4: Yo, we were their to put out the four K, and uh by that's your own fund problem. We're gonna put out no, no, no.
Speaker 3: No, all right, I'm gonna go back in time for our next one before we go into all the four K stuff. I'm gonna say, November twenty fifth, twenty sixteen is my number seven.
Speaker 2: Thanks. November November twenty fifth, twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: Sixteen. Uh the election.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a little late in the month, is it. It's the first Tuesday one.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, that's the election. All that shit out twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Thanks, dam And Paul says, to do more Frank Tarzi impersonation.
Speaker 4: Oh, I gotta really listen to him to really get his like intonation. But it's definitely something you can impersonate. It's very he's got a very distinct personality.
Speaker 2: First, get so, Ronnie says, first Vinegar Center and Black Friday sale. No, they had that years.
Speaker 3: Then Gary says, something to do with the Black Friday sale. It is kind of something to do with the Black Friday.
Speaker 4: I was thinking the same thing. And but the best spy one has been around for was around forever.
Speaker 2: It says. PS four came out. No. PS four, first release of ORC one Blue rad No, I'm.
Speaker 4: Gonna say it's like the Target buy one, get one.
Speaker 3: I missed the old best buy by one or by two get one sales they did back then.
Speaker 2: Those were great. Look.
Speaker 4: I one of the greatest monment was when the Best Buy by Me was twenty four hours on Black Friday, and it was like the day before and I would come in like stuffed and drunk from Thanksgiving and I would wander through that and just because no one else wanted to do that at that point, and I was just picking.
Speaker 2: Up everything everything. Seven dollars flip flip slip.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I think that slip slip slip grow up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: November November twenty sixteen, speaking of what you just said, and everybody's gonna laugh so hard at this, but this is the reason why we are here in twenty twenty five, started the show.
Speaker 2: The state that we are in.
Speaker 3: Uh, November twenty sixteen is the first Vinegar Syndrome slipcover is released.
Speaker 4: Oh and it's not what you think it is.
Speaker 2: It is the Undertaker.
Speaker 4: Interesting is that that's the one.
Speaker 2: With Joe Spinell. It's the cutout Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the transparent and on the track.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So this thing, uh, it sets the craze off.
Speaker 2: Everybody sees it. And this first one, I think it was limited. It was limited.
Speaker 3: It's only like two thousand slips or twenty five hundred something like that, and they immediately started releasing most of their mainline titles with slipcovers. Pikarama came a little bit later, but yeah, everything that is everybody you know dying to have everything with a slip cover all comes down to vinegar Syndrome.
Speaker 2: November sixty the first shot across the Bow. It is.
Speaker 4: It is the main one, which is I think a lot of people would be misguided to think it was the was was it was the Lost Films of Hersa Gordon Lewis because it's the first, but it did not come with a slip and they had a legacy selept that came out later.
Speaker 3: Yep, they had quite a few titles that were released before The Undertaker that have since got slipcovers. But you know, they their first release was like dated twenty twelve or twenty thirteen or whatever. For years there were no slipcovers, and then twenty.
Speaker 4: Sixteen behind You Is it behind You?
Speaker 2: Ryan? It is not. It isn't across the row.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I guess I should probably do my number eight since I'm eclipsing you in time, and I feel like this might be one very close to yours. This is going to sound very obvious, but I want you guys to think outside of the box, okay, because this is gonna be a.
Speaker 2: Very specific date that you're gonna be like, oh, this is a big deal.
Speaker 3: This is a month because because it did not happen on a specific day.
Speaker 4: That's cardboard shout out.
Speaker 3: Yes it did March twenty twenty, March twenty twenty, March twenty And again, think a little bit further than what the obvious thing you're gonna think of there is because we all did something very specifically in March of twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I remember it was like there was a very It's so funny because it's not related to my next day, which is very close March, March thirteenth, March.
Speaker 2: Just the month of March twenty twenty is.
Speaker 4: The month of March twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Spike, Yes, that is actually very close to this. So I picked March twenty twenty because at the end of March is when they started out started sending out the first US stimulus checks of the pandemic, and zoom was it was March into April of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 4: It was like August I started again.
Speaker 3: March of twenty twenty is when labels started seeing that people are staying at home, and based on that, sales of physical media literally started to spike in response to stimulus checks. People that were still able to continue working, and the stimulus check was just seen.
Speaker 2: As like bonus money.
Speaker 3: Places like Vinegar Syndrome went, oh, we're not just selling three thousand slips.
Speaker 2: This now is going to have six thousand slips.
Speaker 3: Or our limited edition coming out from Monto Micabrea used to be five hundred, now it's going to be fifteen hundred. We are seeing so many of people purchasing new you know, like home videos systems, whether it be TVs or stereo systems to have proper sound system. People are saying, well, we're gonna be stuck at home, let's do it the right way and you know, entertain ourselves.
Speaker 2: So the stimulus checks.
Speaker 3: Really brought on a wave of physical media that we really have not truly came back from. You know, I mentioned the Halloween set from Screen Factory during that first year of COVID in twenty twenty one. Of the Halloween sets that were the limited edition. None of the four k's had come out yet in twenty twenty. During that time and in my video on something Else on the channel, I talked about this. One of them sold on eBay for eight hundred dollars, the Halloween Set Halloween fifteen disc collection at one point some eight one hundred dollars on at All. You know, somebody took their exact stimulus check and put it in their bank account and said, you know what, I don't care how.
Speaker 2: Much it is. I'm buying the Halloween set. Right.
Speaker 4: I mean again, it's Halloween. It's not like some random like right set sold this is It's like imagine if the Friday the thirteen set was limited to like a thousand copies and yeah, that's what it was. Yeah, not shocked at all by that. I mean the original DVD of of Salo did sell on eBay, and it would be famously like someone spending three hundred and then would never want to watch it again, and then would they would flip it and then just sell it off to someone else. It was like the Ring. It was like the Ring.
Speaker 2: Take Oh that's funny.
Speaker 3: Wa Uh that Halloween set tanked and value but still worth decent money. Yet, I mean, I run the screen factory up on Facebook and it still can sell like two hundred and fifty bucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the prior routine ten you can now get for like fifty. And that's weird that we're in that.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Adam is from the UK and is asking what are stimulus checks. So during COVID, when the economy was tanking and people were not out able, you know, people weren't out at gas stations supporting like buying snack, food and stuff. Businesses were tanking, and so to get people to literally put money into the economy, the government sent out I think it was for every adult, six hundred dollars for every person over eighteen, and like three hundred dollars for every child or something like that.
Speaker 4: I think that's for people who had kids. I did not get sick. I don't remember getting six hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Maybe one of them was six hundred dollars for adult. I don't remember.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, I blanked a lot of that, but essentially it was But by the way, I that time in my life was like I live alone. So I was like the city was quiet, and I was like, I know how we got here. It's tragic, but so like.
Speaker 3: This damn Danny says in Australia people will getting seven hundred fifty dollars a week. Although that's seven hundred and fifty Australian, that's like fourteen dollars.
Speaker 4: Here we also got three checks.
Speaker 2: We did get three checks.
Speaker 3: But if Australia is getting them every week, I mean, it seems like they made out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, I mean.
Speaker 4: It was. It was not something I noticed until later when people made mention of the fact that that was when physical media really came back, because for me, I had already been collecting physical same when I was like in the middle, like I remember it was in the middle of Phearsal when when everything was like slowly shutting down and I was like in the middle like a sale, like ooh a sale. So it's like it was on my My GT six is ruth because it will be, I mean until a year later. It causes good to byplaystation, Xbox console, many that included Okay, it's hey, I look very possible if they start putting in a four K whatever Sony puts out that's like a big to do movie and they put the four K disc on there in a bumble packet, it's very possible.
Speaker 2: It is possible. People are already. When I go to book Off, there's a lot of young people.
Speaker 4: Granted, it's like a lot of his manga now, so that brings in the younger people, the younger crowd, but they're down there and there's like he's like little fourteen fifteen, sixteen year old bros who are like I scowl at because I'm an old man shaking his fists of the cloud. But I'm also warm hearted by the fact that they're looking at it. But they're talking about like, oh no, see, this one's good.
Speaker 2: But I was like, I know that was me.
Speaker 4: I know I did that in Blockbuster, but now I don't like you, right, And then so but then it's like I go to a housing works, I go to a thrift store and there's like a little like going up to the dvs and like pulling one off, and that's the thing of all the things they go to that and their moms and I want to like.
Speaker 2: Lean or be like she can't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, started early, so yeah, I mean there's just like Vinyl, there's I saw send you the link about tapes, cassette tapes. There was a news thing where like cassette tapes are making a comeback. Young people are like, I love my physical media, and she's like clicking the case of open and shut. She's like, I just feel a connection with them. And I have all my my my cassette singles here and I have all my I'm like, wow, cassette singles okay, And it's like people are really all about it. And now it's like new artists are putting stuff out in cassette. I'm like, I don't know if they need casseets, but they're cool. They're a little tiny things. You can collect a lot of them. But again, you were all the kids is pushed back and say I don't like the thing I was given and I don't want to think that my parents had. You know, that's what they all hitsters U X.
Speaker 2: One for you.
Speaker 4: Oh sorry, guess so I have three dates and this may help you, but I'm gonna give it. June thirtieth, twenty twenty, May thirty first, twenty twenty three and July second, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: MM June twenty twenty three and one and twenty twenty was that the first one?
Speaker 4: June thirtieth, twenty twenty is the first.
Speaker 2: God that's a good one. Three dates. Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: I wish I could have provided more. I don't wish I read virite more.
Speaker 2: But all right, we're not getting any guesses.
Speaker 4: No, it's literally like two years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to think what there would be three of to be attached.
Speaker 2: I feel like a would be helpful here.
Speaker 4: All three are related in terms of what they represent.
Speaker 2: Ronnie, Ronnie will then flap.
Speaker 4: Yourself across the face and wake up. So anything to do with something being deleted replaced, no, Gary, we are we are still getting those replacement discs, but I am not gonna, you know, thank out of them anymore.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty and two and twenty twenty three, the last three Scream Factory box sets. Yeah, okay, I got nothing.
Speaker 4: These are not date these are significant days. These are not dates we want to celebrate.
Speaker 2: Labels announcing they're shuddering, all of films closing down.
Speaker 4: The first and all. So June thirtieth, twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Who have we got like official announcements are closing down.
Speaker 4: This is the this is the according to my agree said, this is the officials release operations shut down. They officially shut down their's their system like.
Speaker 2: We are done.
Speaker 3: Twilight Time, Yes, yeah, Twilight Time one of them is one of them, all of.
Speaker 4: All of is July second, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then the other one thirty.
Speaker 4: First, twenty twenty three is You're gonna have to do a little bit more thinking for that.
Speaker 2: That one's not as Is this the one that did all Westerns that I never remember the name of.
Speaker 4: Maybe, but no, no, they didn't know.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 4: I have a couple of their stuff and it's not all Westerns.
Speaker 2: Dang, this is a good question, is it Network? Yes? Yeah, wow, Yeah, this is a good one. Yep.
Speaker 4: So yeah, the first Twilight Time and it was also again we talked about the pandemic with the Simulus checks. But then there's also the companies that are like.
Speaker 2: We're done yep, that they had to cease operations.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which is crazy because Twilight Time, when I first started getting into boutis was like you can't have that. Yeah, those were beyond like, no, you can't afford Twilight Time, And it was like when you saw that little across the top, that was a no.
Speaker 3: And what's crazy Like Twilight Times, everybody that has looked back on them has been a little bit jaded. Because of that, because they've all seemed so expensive, but in reality, each of their releases did like two thousand copies or fifteen hundred copies for the limited edition, and for many titles they were around for years, they didn't sell all that well, and then they did a very popular title and it would sell out in like two weeks. Yeah, and that was always the yo yo of Twilight Time pissed a lot of people off.
Speaker 4: But also because like when it was done, it was done. There was none of this like grind house like you've limited oh, just the ellyeball. Most most arts ghost still Yeah, so most arts ghosts. I firston kind a mozarts ghost on the four k Kings YouTube channel, not to do a neighboring channel there, but one of them made a very funny joke about how like when Twilight Time would would would would run out, they like destroyed the negative, like you could never again even have this movie, and it was it was like they would like erase it from history.
Speaker 2: So Chris Christmas the date, which one was July second, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, okay, So June thirtieth, twenty twenty Twilight Time goes out of business May thirty first, twenty twenty three, Network Distributing goes out of business. In July second, twenty twenty three, all of Films was out of business. And I did not include Code Red and Scorpion because obviously those were for different reasons, but they did all happen at the same time. But yeah, again, Network was like really sad because it's like they were the little engine that could.
Speaker 3: They also like had just started doing some of their best things, like the the Monty Python box set that everybody got from them. That granted was kind of a giant failure because it got really popular worldwide and the box set showed up ruined to most people's homes. But then they made good on it and we're sending out replacement boxes to everybody.
Speaker 2: I was going to include the Crushed Golden Harvest set from Arrow, but then they didn't replace those. No, they did not.
Speaker 4: Where I have my where is It? They put out hold on a second.
Speaker 3: They put out a really great release of the in Black, the original movie, and uh I that was one of my favorite releases from Network.
Speaker 4: Two hitchcocks that have not had to.
Speaker 2: My knowledge, sabotage has come out elsewhere.
Speaker 4: Oh sabotaged. But but but young and innocent, I don't think so they did. So they did really some good. I've got at least ten titles from them. And yeah, since really said, and all of just went, all of quality was never great.
Speaker 2: Maybe sabotage hasn't.
Speaker 3: The one I was thinking of was, uh.
Speaker 2: The no, the Harald Young film sabotage that came out from all of them.
Speaker 4: Not the Schwarzenegger one from from the director.
Speaker 2: Of No, No, No No.
Speaker 4: Which has a very funny scene and by the way, that has a very have you said, have you ever seen the sabotage? There's a clip I'll send it to you later of Schwartzeneger going off on these two guys in an entire game. And it is my friends. My friend's a huge, huge Schwartzenegger fan. We all saw them in theater and he was just he was like bouncing in his seat. He was so happy because it was classic Schwartzenegger just going off on these guys.
Speaker 2: How many how many do you have left? I want to make sure I.
Speaker 4: Have one more after this, But twilight time again, you look at something like at that time, like you had freight night. Yep, that thing was like one hundred and fifty dollars on eBay.
Speaker 2: Like two weeks after release date.
Speaker 4: Yes, and then or something like the Blob. I think the Blob was them, right too, body.
Speaker 2: Double them Maybe that was Olive.
Speaker 4: No, No, I don't know, No, you're right, you're right, yeah, body double Christine. I think Christine was also.
Speaker 2: No, it was Twilight Time, you're right right then, and that one was limited to five thousand.
Speaker 4: It's just these were like you could not get at them. Forget about it. Yeah, Katie, I'm sure you can get on any of it. I still see it for for for pretty affordable prices. Yeah, it's it's like no one can understand like how these were just like you just it was like and it didn't have to be a great film.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: And people still think actually this day that it's like all Twilight Times are like one hundred dollars on eating They're not.
Speaker 2: There's some, No, there's some that are like seven dollars because they were so Yeah.
Speaker 4: Hamilton Book famously had a Twilight Time sale where like everything was like seven dollars and I went fucking bersert. In fact, Twilight Time, I think in there going out of business, had a massive blowout sale they did.
Speaker 3: The only Twilight Time titles I own were all in that sale that I got for eight dollars or less, literally.
Speaker 4: And I regret not buying more.
Speaker 2: And I can share specifically which ones I have.
Speaker 4: I can tell you specific.
Speaker 3: Because I don't have that many, which I definitely missed out on some titles from Twilight Time that I wanted, but again, the ones that I wanted were frequently the ones that were expensive, pretty much on day one.
Speaker 4: And again we should say also in case you don't remember, everybody remembers screen Archives had a Twilight Time sale, but it was still First of all, we're talking about bad websites.
Speaker 2: The screen Archives is awful.
Speaker 4: One of the work. That's the DVD beaver doing great work. But that thing is ridiculous. You can't text, it's so small.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I own three Twilight Time titles, uh, and they are Snake in the Eagle, Shadow and Drunken Master, eight Heads in a Double Bag, and the Boston Strangler, which, funny enough, I don't think.
Speaker 2: This is giving anything away.
Speaker 3: Just did a visual essay where we covered the Boston Strangler for a good five or six minutes.
Speaker 2: Oh, we'll find up.
Speaker 4: I also got The Boston Strangler from that sale, and I remember someone like not cursing, but like jokingly getting angry and like, oh, you got my copy of The Boston Strangler because it it sold out so fast? Right, Some of my most prized Twilight Times that I didn't get from that sale, but I got h I found for twenty dollars once it was u turn still hard to find, very expensive to complete my my Ulverstone set. And Heaven and Earth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a pricey one too. And I woke up at I had it on the eBay on a bid, and I woke up at like five in the morning when it was going to end, and surprisingly whoever listed it just didn't listen properly that anyone could find it.
Speaker 4: And I was the only bid and I got for like tween dollars.
Speaker 2: It was greet but that.
Speaker 4: Sale I got Husbands and Wives, Uh, Manhattan Urror Mystery, next stop Greenwich Village.
Speaker 2: I got just finally got another Blue ray years later.
Speaker 4: Yes we need more, Miss Ski Uh talk Radio, Black Widow, not the Disney.
Speaker 2: Not the Marvel Twilight Time limited to three thousands.
Speaker 4: Exactly, And then I got these are all ones? I got Randy at other times and uh appaa, I'm gonna put you that anyway, maybe I got Romeo is bleeding.
Speaker 2: And that's what I wanted to missed out on that one.
Speaker 4: Well, now you can get it, and now you can I think something else put it out by now.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm not. I think, yes.
Speaker 4: I do recall someone might be an imprint, but someone definitely has put out Romeo's bleeding.
Speaker 2: Uh. In twenty twenty three, it was Sandpiper Pictures.
Speaker 4: Sand Bider coming into my one that I prized my prize myself on buying at the at not the hat, but like in the heyday of Twilight time was rapid Fire because a big brand Leaf fan and I had the vhs of Rapid Fire nice and now people are going rapid dollars, Michael, that's right. I also bought part of the Hamilton book sale was The Quiller Memorandum, and if you ever want to see, I'll send you the link to that. If you watch the original trailer for The Quiller, the voiceover guy says the name quiller at least fifty times, Quida knows.
Speaker 2: Doesn't even it doesn't even feel like a real word. Before the quida knows. He said it such a quidda.
Speaker 4: He said, it's such a British posh, British like moviefone guy voice. It's so funny.
Speaker 2: I have two more lefts, so I should probably share my number nine.
Speaker 4: You share number nine?
Speaker 2: Yes, so my number nine is a very specific. June second, twenty twenty second, me sitting on.
Speaker 4: A bench in an empty street.
Speaker 2: Crime.
Speaker 4: Uh June second, you said, June second, Well, it's not Banana Man dying. Is this any one or is a significant one? Uh?
Speaker 2: No, this is in my opinion, this is quite a significant one. I think a lot of people will down.
Speaker 4: Because it's not the dark force.
Speaker 3: Rant No, this is not a dark force showing up and selling autographed diapers from Banana Man.
Speaker 2: Okay, m.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm gonna go with criterions first.
Speaker 2: Four k Uh, that is a good guess. But I believe that was a November release or December. Oh I don't. I didn't even buy sets on four K. You didn't want to unwrap it every time you wanted to watch it?
Speaker 4: This up for Great Nights round.
Speaker 2: Oh that's really fund No. This is a very It is similar to your bray.
Speaker 4: He does lovebre similar.
Speaker 2: To what you're saying about the Criterion four K.
Speaker 3: But this is actually the severin release of the al Adamson box set, and uh, I am bringing this up primarily because I think this was the first box set from Severn that, uh first off was all encompassing from a director as mostly as they could do that. They are now, in my opinion, the pinnacle of box set every time Severn does one of their on air, every time they do something that is not just like the House of Psychotic Women, which is a great set, but when they're doing the Andy Milligan box set, the Right Dentist, the folk core box sets, these are yes, these are film school in a box, all in company, all encompassing, exhaustive releases that. Yes, Criterion has done some of these before in the past in similar ways, primarily DVD. They've obviously done some on Blu Ray, but obviously, you know, if you pay attention to their Blue Ray box sets, they've blundered most of their Blu Ray box sets, like the big ones, the the One car Y set had like five replacement discs, the Godzilla set most people hate, the.
Speaker 2: Varda set is like really compressed beyond belief, and one.
Speaker 4: Is named Pelini's very It's like a it's a very select few title.
Speaker 3: So I think Severn kind of stepped up to the plate and showed what a box set could be. And ever since then they've done like six or seven of these that are they leveled up the home video like how to.
Speaker 2: Do this properly? And it's not my top then center, Now who's going to top them? Zone? Uh well, and they got to do a lot to uh get the call.
Speaker 4: One's putting out the Hannikey.
Speaker 2: They're doing the second version. Umbrella did the first one.
Speaker 4: They're the ones that are like, hey, work, oh yeah, that's right, Okay, so Umbrell, I think that Hannicky set night, Yeah, might be the quintessential director box.
Speaker 2: Yes, but Corazona's done all kinds of those.
Speaker 3: They don't like five of them, but every single one has pretty bad problems. They don't do really high quality stuff. Seven is the pinnacle here for box sets, especially when it's like a director and it every single film that's ever been released, and they are doing they're doing what they can to bring light to somebody that is completely underserved. And I know that this is kind of a silly one to bring up. But because it's an al Adamson box set that sold out literally on day one and has not been available since then. And yes, even this box set had a replacement disc. I get that because the box or the disc was dead when it went out. The hard part here is I don't know any label that has done anything that could even be remotely comparable to anything the Severn sets have pulled off. So yeah, I think that they leveled up the game with this one, and they kind of set the bar to a new height for director's box sets in a very special way.
Speaker 4: I will say, far as there's a side thing wave, they only have the original Funny Games. They don't have the remake with Naomi Watts.
Speaker 3: That's just Umbrella. We don't know about Curzon yet. Oh ok Zone hasn't announced anything they.
Speaker 4: Release of the of the remake. To your to your point, I will say, what about the the Herschel Gordon Lewis Cereal box.
Speaker 3: It is a great one, but they really haven't done anything up to that level since then in a way in a way that Severn has continued to outdo themselves.
Speaker 2: That's all I was.
Speaker 4: What about the Bergmann box?
Speaker 2: I mean that has it's.
Speaker 3: Great, and I will think it's not complete and it's also it's it's that one's kind of weird because it's like a festival curation in a way, and I don't know it just it doesn't feel like it's nitpicking. It doesn't feel like an exhaustive deep dive into a director the way that sever does.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, not third point. I'm not gonna argue. All right, that was your number nine.
Speaker 2: That was my number nine.
Speaker 4: Okay, my number ten. My last one is going to be December twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: December twenty twenty three. I feel like, now there's so many big things happening as could be like one of eight things. I agree Mozart's Ghost it's a good box set, but also isn't it And I'm not saying quality is based on quantity or anything, but isn't that box at only three titles?
Speaker 2: Also? What was the one that Sony just came out the the was a wing? Was it?
Speaker 4: What was it the Wilder box set?
Speaker 1: Or no, the.
Speaker 4: It's the black and Gold box?
Speaker 2: Who is that black and gold box?
Speaker 4: Sony came out with it.
Speaker 2: It was like, oh, the Frank Capra, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 4: That's a I was like thinking Wilder, Yes, it's the Frank Capra set.
Speaker 2: Sony.
Speaker 3: I mean he's done great work as a studio. That's that's a completely different thing. I mean, we could have made this whole thing about the Columbia Classic sets. What they've done, all right, December twenty twenty three. We seem to have nothing on the boxes. Slice that thing and hands, what do you got for you?
Speaker 2: Want it long?
Speaker 4: Find they should also be able to fold and there you go.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I mean the way they built it, you kind of make it longer instead of in half. Let me Secember Magnet, December twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Yes, what do you got for us? Well?
Speaker 4: Pour one out best buy stop selling physical media, being the first brick and mortar store still in business to do so. So this was the beginning of the end. They were the first, and then everything followed there.
Speaker 2: And that was a big like I.
Speaker 4: Really deep love. Look Black Friday, Thanksgiving, Black Friday. My new my new love is is being here with you all and doing my vinegar syndrome. It's great to go on to see what MVD is selling and all those things, but there was something about that that that energy in the air, and people actually were still at the Best Buy and just like pulling out things and looking for the slipgar looking for the best slipcover, and people were really all doing it with me. It wasn't just a freaking Tuesday where it's like, look, the weirdo's back and he's like holding five copies and he's trying to figure out which one looks best. Like it was everyone. It was couples, well mostly a guy and his girlfriend was like being dragged along and he's like, look, honey, we can also get the sex in the city to movie there. And then there's like the kids, and then it's like everyone was in it, and it was like, you know, and you really were like you have your basket and you just kept, you know, filling it with stuff and you could and it was like the first time I can remember before online sales. It was like, you there was a time in the year that you could get twenty movies and I would take great pride of each year my receipt got longer and longer and longer and showed how much money I had saved, and it was like and it was always like I got to start learning. I'm like all right, Well, it seems like Warner Brothers is really the ones you're like, we need to get the shit out the door because you need stuff and universal and you could figure out which ones, and then Disney was like, our stuff is still great, maybe take two dollars off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was like you could rely on it and be like, I'm not gonna buy that now. That is definitely a Black Friday title that.
Speaker 4: John Wick is now was a Stable of Light. We cannot get this shit out the door, like the Planet of the Apes, Blu Ray, that stupid Mark Wahlberg movie is out of print now, and it's like really for a while, it was like hard to get that thing.
Speaker 2: That was like no one wants to buy it, right.
Speaker 3: I kind of really like that you picked this because it's going to juxtapose against mine really perfectly.
Speaker 2: So mine is is kind of cheating, but it's two dates.
Speaker 3: Encompassing I already did a three date one. It's encompassing something very specific the same for both. So mine is November twenty fourth, twenty twenty three, and then a much more recent one and which I think is the most recent one that we've covered at all, November twenty ninth, twenty twenty four. So two novembers November twenty fourth, twenty twenty three, November twenty ninth, twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Four, Vinnderson the jacks their price up for subscriptions. That's really recent. That's really it is. That's really I mean, I'm assuming it's related to black It sounds like a Black Friday announcement being that was Like, I mean again, it's a boutique lebel at this point in our history. It's boutique label. It's not a studio thing.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily.
Speaker 4: Is this, Like it's not the ending of two dates, two specific dates, whether two specific dates, are they both related to the same thing or they just somehow correlated to the same day.
Speaker 3: Like they are related to the same thing in a very unique way. But I also the biggest hint is that I said it was going to juxtapose against yours, which was best by stop selling physical media.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, sure is it's like the start of a new label.
Speaker 3: So the first one November twenty fourth, twenty twenty three, is when across the entire US, Oppenheimer is officially sold out fifty thousand copies in yeah, and November twenty nine, twenty four Terry nailed it. The Keep four K from Vinegar Syndrome sells out fifteen thousand copies plus in just thirty three hours.
Speaker 4: How did I not get that scene? As how I fucking was like on Reddit like counting down with you as a refreshing age.
Speaker 3: So this is a big deal because it strikes a lot of hope in two different ways. The Oppenheimer thing I want to point out specifically because fifty thousand, four KUHD copies across the country sold out in less than one week. This was the Friday of that first week, which means it was day four of this title being on sale. Fifty thousand copies across the US sold in four days.
Speaker 2: On top of like the pre order time obviously Nolan Bros. Will save us all Nolan Bros.
Speaker 3: And on top of that, like the the event film of the summer that everybody wanted to watch in the best quality possible on home video.
Speaker 2: That's a big deal.
Speaker 3: And then the Keep, a very well known filmmaker getting a boutique release of something in the highest quality that had finally been released on physical media in a quality and HD in a way that people were not really expecting to happen sold out more than fifteen thousand copies in literally thirty three hours. It is not an incredibly we'll say, promising future for physical media. When Best Buy is not a part of things and Target is no longer really a part of things.
Speaker 4: Guy heard they come back.
Speaker 3: The rumor is Best Buy might be looking to come back specifically online. That's not guaranteed yet. There's just some rumblings, but all of that leading to there is still hope. When we can sell out fifty thousand copies of a movie on one format in four days, when vinegar Syndrome can sell fifteen thousand copies of a movie in thirty three hours, there is still hope for some things. And it is important to realize that, you know, we we mentioned certain things like acre Bay and referring to slipcovers and all this as collecting, but we all love films and that's what's at the heart of these and really Oppenheimer and the Keep I want to point out specifically are two a tour filmmakers that people are die hard fans of. And when you put out good releases of good filmmakers work, a lot of people are still going to flock to them, and it is an important time when we can talk about in twenty twenty three and twenty twenty four, films selling so well that they make national headlines. The keep selling out made a huge wave across the country. Oppenheimer not being able to be found in four K made a huge wave. They had to announce that the.
Speaker 4: Keep of being reported on, yes because of our community, though yes, it was Oh, I did not see that.
Speaker 2: That I did not see because it was like the long lost film from Commands available and people updating to say it's no longer available because it was sold out for a while. VS had Mountain say, well, we restocked it and we're reprinting it.
Speaker 4: That I did not say because I was going to respond to your thing with I'll let you finish.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's not much else to say. It's just I really wanted to end this on a positive note. And I know that every other week, and I've even been quoted in one of these online articles of like is physical media dead or dying?
Speaker 2: And in a flood? What would you say?
Speaker 3: That sort of conversation whatever, that is always going to be a narrative when a lot of this is against you. Because capitalism, which is hilarious because this is all about buying things, but capitalism states that streaming should be the way to go because it's an infinite money glitch for these rich people. A lot of these things. We truly just love the films, and it is an amazing situation when you can see a win.
Speaker 2: Like this for anybody.
Speaker 3: And I am so happy, so happy that things like Oppenheimer, even though it wasn't my favorite movie of that year, it can make people rabbid for proper home video releases in the highest quality. I'll go right ahead, I'll let you speak.
Speaker 4: On I was gonna say, it's how you stop stop worrying and learn to love the bomb.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 4: It's interesting, you say, because I did not see that report on the key, and because initially I was gonna say, I feel like that's more of an impact to our community than it is too at large than the way that Oppenheimer did. Because yes, I think more people came to Vineger Syndrome to buy that than would have normally been there. They was like outsiders going like, oh, I've been wanting to keep and this is where I have to go to get it right. And then maybe discovering Vineger syndrome from there, just like rab was like, oh, I got to come here to get this.
Speaker 3: We also should point out and I don't you know, I know that it's been a rough couple of years for vinegar syndrome for some people, but I really want to point out that November of twenty twenty four for vinegar syndrome is a special thing. Like they to put out that and looking for mister Goodbar and that whole plate.
Speaker 4: That whole was like one of the first times I was like clothes to like, I'll take it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it was a miracle.
Speaker 4: And again they're claiming this is gonna be the year of years, Like yeah, like this is even better. But I think with Oppenheimer, you have a great you have a perfect storm of not only is it one of the biggest films of the year Best Picture winner, well you have Christopher Nolan, who is a big proponent of fiscal media. Yep, so he's not It's not just like the movie selling well and the directors like, oh cool, I guess that's neat he's going out there. No, no, no, no, you need to This is the best possible thing. The way to see my movie, and then he went on I don't know the name of that apologizes I would I would butcher the French name. But there's that YouTube channel where people go to the last big video store in in France and they go and he talks about, you know, physical media, and how he's like this is the best coloring and the best this and the best of that. And to that point, I will say, going forward, now you have Sean Baker, who wins more Oscars than any other individual for the same film, who is going backstage after winning and taking his time with the press junkets to say, oh, physical media. It's even weird to hear someone on this stage of like the Oscar saying physical media. It's like it's like one of us going out there and I talked about it's like do people want to listen to us? And it's this person who's acuoly in a very big position of power and influence, who's like talking about like, oh, well, the you know, these great big box sets. I'm like, it's so weird to hear someone talking about it and that with that much love and fervor.
Speaker 2: That's not us.
Speaker 4: So again, like I go, there's always going to be that person that's gonna chant, whether it's Themoo, the Delterro or Tarantino. To some extent, I think he's more just the theatrical fan of it. But there's always going to be that person. And then, you know, if there's money to be made, there's money to be made. I think you make more money honestly with physical media. You're always going to be able to churn out a physical title that people are gonna want, and if you put it out more people are gonna want. Oppenheimert to keep. Whatever it is we're streaming, You're only as popular.
Speaker 2: As what you have on your channel at that moment.
Speaker 4: Exactly if you're Netflix and you lose the office, it's a mass exodus. Yeah, you know, there's like like they're not there because you just put out you know whatever. You know, random medical drama is on there. It's about the thing that everyone's attached to. If friends leaves, you know, our marijuand Max was like the HM Max came along. Their big thing was we got Harry Potter, we got that, we got the DC, we got all these things, and literally, within like like a couple of months, Harry Potter was gone.
Speaker 2: Because they had already like well this is the very.
Speaker 3: Personal point and they were more expensive than everyone else at that time too.
Speaker 4: You just pulled that thread out of that driven like oh look, we can start to see the scenes unraveling. It's not as finite, like look right here, people, this is exactly what you're doing with So again I get the control, but it's not a guarantee of money.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: They think like, well, you know, we don't have to make anything. We put it on the server and people just pay for it. But then the same thing with like in terms of like viewership, it's like, well, our algorithm tells you such and such and such as such, like no people are having sex during that, Like Family Guy is like yeah, people want to put on the background or someone fell asleep. Not gonna get too much into detail.
Speaker 2: People love people of It's not a roach.
Speaker 4: Come on, man, people love watching Family Guy while having sex.
Speaker 3: Not to talk about this after Roaches and Family guye sex, But I want to highlight Adam's comment here says I wish the boutique studios would give attractive licensing to small cinemas. That way we can watch something much cheaper like Goodbar without spending forty dollars or whatever.
Speaker 2: I will say, many of them fo it has a roach, I have.
Speaker 4: I have ears like a fucking hawk mother. Okay, got it on my thing.
Speaker 2: Ahead, many of them do, Adam.
Speaker 3: I understand it's probably different for the UK, but there are places in the US like AGFA, who controls theatrical distribution for many of the boutique titles. Uh, you can for I believe most of the AGFA stuff, if not all. You can get like a two hundred and fifty dollars fee flat fee for any of the AGFA titles to watch theatrically. And I know two hundred and fifty dollars sounds like a lot, but when you're you know, hoping that at least thirty people come to a small cinema to see something, you're making that money back, and then concessions and all that, it can be a part of it. It is something where you can make the money back. So I it is something that the boutiques are trying. I mean, for a while, def Crocodile had one of the best deals in a theatrical distribution that I've ever seen. So it is a thing you just got to get the small cinemas to go after some of the stuff too.
Speaker 4: We know that the other side of that double up short is that you've got someone like Lionsgate who now creates their own boutique label and it's like, I mean, this might be just growing pains because remember A twenty four and they first came out where like no one wants that tall box with no features, and now it's like, oh no, I'll pay that, I'll subscribed a triple A program and then like but what volume gaates Like these are slite exclusives and it's thirty five dollars.
Speaker 2: And it's not all what you want.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's kind of like, you know that is that might be what we're ending up with. You know, remember the Disney Movie Club was still a way like to get you in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I've yet to see a studio that's like we get it, we know what you want, you know what you're looking for, and we're going to.
Speaker 2: Give you that type of thing. Because boutiques for the most part are run by the fans.
Speaker 4: There are people who are like us that just felt compelled like I want to start a label, yep, and they know, like I say, like with my eBay thing. It's like, I'm coming from a collector's perspective. I'm not just trying to make money. And it's like i'm i'm I'm I get I get you, I get what you're looking for, and they know what we're looking for. And studios just don't get it. They're they're they're just it's it's a it's a mindset you went to you went to school for for business. You didn't go there for filmmaking. You know, if Sean Baker opens up his own physical media label, I will have faith that you know it'll happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, man. We uh we covered a lot of major time timelines. How does go for what you had planned?
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, what was it you ask me? Or are you saying something I.
Speaker 2: Was asking you? How did how did it go? For what you were thinking beforehand?
Speaker 4: This is exactly exactly Because the thing is we've talked about this. I'm not a big Top ten fan, because it's like when you talk about like top Spielberg, it's like, well, okay, how much longer do we get the jaws?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It just otherwise you get the hot take. It's like, you know, I gotta say i'mosa, that's my favorite.
Speaker 2: It's like I'm out.
Speaker 4: It's just like there's just unless we're going to talk about some obscure director, and then you you isolate everyone going on, I've never seen any of this person's fat yep.
Speaker 2: And I've done that for some time for sure, Like when I did Larry Festen in a couple of months ago and I got no comments for two hours, and.
Speaker 4: It's like, no, it's not that people don't want to contribute, is that they can't right with nothing to say. And when you have something like again best know in films or best, it's like, we all know what your tops are gonna be, right, I mean Ridley Scott may because it's such a broad but you're still gonna go blab and you're still gonna say alien, You're still gonna say gladder, You're still gonna do.
Speaker 2: So with something like this.
Speaker 4: Is Gregor something is that I don't know who the references to Sam Gregor? Is that something to do with the cockroach because.
Speaker 2: It's dead now.
Speaker 4: I hear them in the court, IM like that's a roach. I hear I hear it crickling.
Speaker 2: I hear them yep, waves says I love Top fives, but this was still very fun. Yeah, I'm glad we did this.
Speaker 3: I knew that we weren't going to pick all the same the fact that there was some crossover that we both deemed as important that was inevitable, So sorry.
Speaker 4: I Initially it was going to be me. I wanted to do top ten like controversial things and you don't like going negative.
Speaker 3: It's not that I don't like going negative. It's that I get a lot more personal enjoyment about things that I like.
Speaker 4: Sure, and I think I think the controversy is not so much a negative but more like a hey, let's talk about it, and something.
Speaker 2: Like talk about them disc where it's like you have an opinion and everyone has like a different perspective on it.
Speaker 4: You know, I could say yes, sorry, no, yes, yes, like naked lunch, I'm gonna turn into a cop Joe's apartment, but just like saying like, I could easily say, look, we made a joke Arrow's replacement discs, but I just listed maybe ten movies. How many films has Arrow put out? So the argument could be like, look, in the grand scheme of things, most of the movies came out fine.
Speaker 2: We sixteen years of releases they film pretty will exactly.
Speaker 4: So that's that was the fun of the of going with the controversy. But and yees no, the timeline is fun because again it gets everyone here a chance to contribute.
Speaker 2: So yes, you may want, you can guess.
Speaker 4: And two, if you're young enough you don't remember the other things, eventually you're gonna find yourself being like, oh cool, we're talking about DVDs. Oh, we're talking talking about blue is, We're talking about four case. Everyone's gonna have something. Sam can talk about Beta mats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm glad everybody had touch points tonight. And to make it in a way where people can guess, I mean especially you know, the last I don't know, I guess mine was kind of the last decade, my top five or more my more recent five. It was all in the last nine years. So for people, you know, in recent memory, it's nice that people could see that. The important thing too here is you know, make sure it's beginning.
Speaker 2: Sam.
Speaker 3: The first thing we both talked about is that home video started in nineteen seventy five, slash nineteen seventy six for beta and VHS. That was literally fifty years ago, and we're still here talking about triumphs happening that are setting the course for new and innovative ways for these companies to go in. That is incredible that we're still holding on all those years later. People talking about physical media being dead has happened since the early nineties or earlier probably, but I know of it happening since the early nineties. It's not going anywhere anytime soon. Sure it might be more and more niche, but it evolves. You're not crazy for liking to hold things in your hand and to I don't even know if this is a word, but to ritualize the event of approaching a film in a thoughtful, very on purposeful way of approaching a film, to sit with it and to breathe with it, and to let it be your evening, and not just scroll for forty minutes before choosing the same episode of the Office you've seen thirty eight times. This is something that so many of us joining together every Thursday night, love these films, and that's what makes us happy, is to find that one diamond in a rough blind by every year that you go, goddamn, I'm going to be singing the praises of this till the day I die.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, you look at something like as far back as fifty years ago. Well, first off, look at the first movies The Young Teacher. It's not Gone the Wind, it's not Casablanca, it's The Young Teacher, which nowadays would be a boutique title. So really the first release was a boutique title. A was a random deep cut title. And again, everything involves. When it came out, you couldn't rent it. It was per se, and then the rental video store became a thing, and then it became you know again, going to Sun Coast, you started getting letterboxed, you started getting this. There's always a change to what it was. Takes for one hundred and fifty dollars. Now they're oh, now you can go into Walmart and buy a twenty dollars take. And so when we talk about being dead, it's like, yes, yes, streaming is the thing now. But back in the day, HBO played the movie every Friday, the Friday Night movie, and you went to the movies.
Speaker 2: And everything like that.
Speaker 4: Everything has its ebbs and flows. So, you know, whatever we are now in ten years time, who knows where we're gonna be. You know, maybe we will all be in our homes with an entertainment system that rivals the theaters, truly rivals the theaters, and that'll be that, and then that's how we'll do it. But it will still be it. It will still be what we have loved, just in a different form, you know, Like you said about Anchor Bay. You know, when Anchor Bay came out, that was one of the and then there's like everything else was like studio releases, and now everything we basically buy that that we put our money into is.
Speaker 2: An Anchor Bet. It is.
Speaker 4: It is a bootique. Everything is the fancy version. It's not just you know, I could buy I could go and buy the Twilight Time edition of this as probably now ten dollars, but I want the big chunky box, you know. So the fact is, yes, the thing we used to know is dead. It's it's dead. It that that version is the metamorphosis, if you will, not of a roach a lovely butterfly, if you will. It has risen from its chrystal chrysalis and gone from a Target Walmart, you know, case to this, and who knows, in ten years time, it.
Speaker 2: Might be only Lineskate Limited. It might be like like, oh, this is.
Speaker 4: One movie, right, which is actually kind of like one Umbrella does sometimes.
Speaker 2: I was about to say that, yeah, one movie where.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh my god, I can only afford one movie this year, and it's this one.
Speaker 2: This is the one I'm gonna buy.
Speaker 3: I'm still waiting for somebody to release a Takashi mik Complete Director set and it's just a shelf that they send you.
Speaker 2: A full media tower full of blue ray cases.
Speaker 4: Delivers it rolled, they roll it in. It's you have to wait for it to be prepped. Like, look like, remember what was the what was the set that came in through? Was it Umbrella? Who put the what was the crime box set that was?
Speaker 2: It was like school?
Speaker 4: Do you remember that you did the announcement?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the like sixty four or six.
Speaker 4: Yeah, free shipping, don't worry. Oh and you cannot add anything to this order. Yeah I was a Oh you could not add anything to the order.
Speaker 2: This is the uh or just a flash drive? Yeah, that's that. That is honestly a possibility for physical media somedays.
Speaker 4: That's the thing the flash I feel now is while it is physical, you're leaning now towards that digital Like, yeah, this is about celebration. It's not just about owner, It's about celebrating. Yeah, let's get praise to this, you know, I mean same thing with slip covers.
Speaker 2: No, we are.
Speaker 4: We are praising the thing that we that we covet. Anyway, you can read the issue. Go by the go go by the issue.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Follow sib on Instagram. Link is in the description below. Anything else you want to shout out or d what.
Speaker 4: Did I say?
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 4: Dan sibs sixty three, d sib six What the house?
Speaker 2: My damn name?
Speaker 4: They gave it to me Dan Dan sib sixty three on eBay if you want to check it out. I'm constantly I'm gonna be adding shit for forever because it's my childhood toy collection as well as movies as well as books and everything, posters, just everything.
Speaker 2: And so oh thank you Sam. Yeah, so.
Speaker 4: You know the name might change, but if you want to join it now and just see what is there, yeah, you know, I'm going to send it in good condition everybody watching.
Speaker 2: That's part of the Patreon.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about some of these alternate dates in the in the discord, other major milestones. I love what other people are thinking. Share that in there as far as the Discord. If you are feeling like you want to be a part of conversations like this all the time, join the Patreon the link of the description below.
Speaker 2: Get in the Discord. We'd love to have you.
Speaker 3: We're doing a watch along as Sunday, so you can get in there. It is at nine pm Eastern this Sunday. I display the film for everybody in discord. We hang out afterwards and talk and stay up way too late, and then I go to work the next morning exhausted and.
Speaker 2: Like an idiot.
Speaker 3: Other than that, I think that this was a pretty excellent conversation. I appreciate you all for hanging out.
Speaker 2: I had a blast.
Speaker 4: I've been looking forward to this.
Speaker 2: And I needed this. I always do.
Speaker 3: Next week is the Vinegar Syndrome Sale. We're gonna be here late as usual. We got a Celeste, like I said, and the one and only mister Jeremy Long. Everybody will be able to see him.
Speaker 4: Next Thursday, we're gonna be We're gonna be late until twelve o long when everyone apparently just shuts the fuck up and then just starts because they're ordering stuff.
Speaker 2: Everybody goes ooh, and you.
Speaker 4: Start talking amongst yourself and I'm like.
Speaker 2: Yep, well everybody's spending all their money and Celestin, Jeremy and I are laughing at the random things that Jeremy's just like, do I need nun chucks?
Speaker 1: Oh? No?
Speaker 4: I mean maybe where can I put nunchucks in the kitchen?
Speaker 2: That be nice?
Speaker 3: Yes, I got tons of recommendations we'll talk about for VS next week. It's gonna be a good time. Lots to discuss. More announcements coming this week. It'll be a crazy one. Thank you all for hanging out tonight. Interview going up on the channel on Monday. I'm trying to do more of those like I was. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 3: Thank you for watching The Disconnected on the way out, make sure that you are a subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this.
Speaker 7: Tell me, if you're looking for more horror outside of the mainstream, look no further than Unsung Horrors, a podcast about underseen horror movies.
Speaker 2: I'm Lance and I'm Erica.
Speaker 8: Every other week we'll cover a horror movie with fewer than one thousand views on Letterboxed. We'll even give you double feature recommendations to pair with the movies.
Speaker 7: We discuss, from gothic to shot on video, from Slashers to comedies, from Giallo to jay horror, we'll cover all the subgenres. So join us as we unearth these hidden gems of horror.
Speaker 8: Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. All at Unsung Horrors available wherever you listen to podcasts and part of the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast Network.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast Network. Please select the link in the description.