Speaker 1: You're listenings KPI AM six forty the Bill Handles show on demand on the iheartradiop Why would you go to AI as opposed to what are the big stories today? For example? Well let me do this one, hey, Siri, what are the headline stories today? Here we go Trump to again extend TikTok's reprieve.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, wait, wait.
Speaker 1: For the Panthers win second straight.
Speaker 3: What Surrey is AI? You just asked AI to tell you what the I did. Yes, that's what Surrey is. Sly and now handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle.
Speaker 1: Good morning everybody. Bill Handle here with the morning crew. And I was listening to that little promo drop. You know what, I'm pretty impressed with myself sometimes, my vast and de knowledge of the entitle, entire world of technology. So much for that I think I got a virus. My zoom is not working, by the way, I can't actually see you guys. And because I think I picked up a virus, Neil, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: Where is Neil?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Here's what I'm gonna do. Yeah. Oh that's great. So Neil is out and I'm out. Well, so Neil like THEIH but COO's not there either. Oh good, I feel better.
Speaker 2: I feel's not there and we don't need to be on.
Speaker 1: I know this is very so we're going blind. That's all right. You know this is radio. You really don't have to see anybody. And it was this morning I said, this thing is gone and I did. It was some pop up virus that happened or some hack and I started to go through it. Neil said, you were you watching porn? Is that what it? And you got hacked? And I said, how'd you know? And it goes because I know you Bill. Actually I was not watching porn. I was going through one of those click I don't buy anything on that, but you know where they now kind of thing you go through it and mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: So I got half click b yeah, yeah, I don't believe what the cast of such and such looks like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's exactly it. You know. So because I you know, I read the papers. I was up early this morning and went through all of them and anyway, so see, I thought I was okay if I don't actually buy anything, but I guess not.
Speaker 4: Do you have access to your email?
Speaker 1: Wait? I mean do I no? I don't do it through the computer. I go through my phone on the email. I haven't yet learned how to do it on the computer. Lindsay is working on it.
Speaker 4: You haven't learned how to do email on your computer?
Speaker 1: No, I use my phone. I do not use The only thing I use the computer for, seriously is the papers in the morning, and everything else goes through my phone. And I have an iPad, so I'll do that. But I even read on my phone. You know, all my kindle stuff doom on your Oh you know, I don't even know where my iPad is. I should set up the iPad zoom, you know what. I'll Uh, Lindsay will be down in an hour, and you know what, m I'll have my Yeah, you'll be able to see year old mom call you.
Speaker 2: She should be able to walk it through it.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, you know what? And I asked Lindsey, and I ask you to Neil, and everybody goes, is it?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Two things? Number one? Is it because I'm just stupid? Hold on before you say anything? Uh? And I asked Lindsay and other people, is it because I'm just stupid? And she answers and says, no, Bill is just you don't concentrate, you don't focus, and frankly, you're just not that interested because it's always done for you. Okay, so that is Lindsay's answer. So Neil, let me ask you. Is it because I'm just stupid?
Speaker 2: No? I agree with Lindsay one.
Speaker 1: Oh, I thought you were gonna say, yes, that's precisely what it is. Bill. It's because you're stupid one.
Speaker 2: And you're not a stupid guy too. I know you well enough.
Speaker 3: You're not if you're not interested it enough to take the brain power to memorize it, so you just go it's not important because I know you. I've seen you take in all kinds of information. You just don't want to do it or care to do it.
Speaker 4: But I disagree with that.
Speaker 1: You think yes, because I think yes, because, thank you, Ann, you're so concerned about waking her up I am every morning.
Speaker 4: I would think that it would be important for you to learn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not that concerned about it. No, No, I talk about it. I'm concerned about it, but I'm clearly not that concerned about it. I'm telling okay. But by the way, no surprise here anyway, Good morning, everybody. Let me go through it and see our clickbait work this morning. All right, since I can't see you, we're gonna play radio. Okay, Will are you there? Morning?
Speaker 2: Bill?
Speaker 1: Good morning? And I can't see you, though I know no one can see anybody.
Speaker 2: I can see Amy and I can see Anne.
Speaker 4: I think we went over this, Will, were you not listening?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 1: What's that kids? Game? I can see you, you can't see me kind of thing? Anyway, So there's Amy. Yeah, people go, oh, there you go. We can't see me. All right, Amy, good morning and you're there, Kno, good morning.
Speaker 2: Good morning?
Speaker 1: And Amy, Amy and Neil is there. And so we're all going together on this. Today is Juneteenth, which is I think it is a national holiday? Is it not? Banks are closed, federal offices are closed.
Speaker 4: Declared a holiday in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: And do we we do not celebrate June teenth here at the station. It is not a day off officially, is it?
Speaker 4: I think it is?
Speaker 1: It really is?
Speaker 4: It is? Wow, what's a federal holiday?
Speaker 1: What are we doing here?
Speaker 4: Well, it doesn't count for us us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: You can't just shut the doors of a radio station. Where are they going to get this kind of quality program?
Speaker 4: Oh? Was that out loud?
Speaker 1: You know, when you say this kind of quality programming, I'm going to agree with you, Neil, But let's take it in looking at another way. The only reason our show is considered good is because everybody else is so bad. That's the problem. Talk radio is so horrific around the country that we're actually considered excellent. If you look at as in a vacuum, Eh, not so much. All right, guys, let's do it. It is time for Handle on the news with Amy, Neil and me lead story. Let's go. Lakers have been sold, at least the Bus family has sold the Lakers, and I think they had what sixty six percent of the team, which of course gives them complete control. Sold it at evaluation of ten billion dollars. At six point six billion dollars, Genie Buss is one happy young lady. Jerry Buss bought the Lakers in nineteen seventy nine for sixty seven million dollars, which included the Kings and the Forum. And uh, what is that in cauld Someone look that up. What is sixty seven and a half million dollars in nineteen seventy nine worth today? I would ask Siri that, but I'm not going.
Speaker 2: To it's gotta be worth at least sixty eight million.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know there's a there's some figure there because I think I want to make a point here, and you are you looking this up?
Speaker 4: I'm looking at up.
Speaker 1: Okay, do dude? Sixty seven million dollars nineteen seventy nine dollars? Was it today?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: I did sixty seven?
Speaker 2: This better be a great point.
Speaker 1: This better be a great one because it didn't go quickly, did it?
Speaker 4: Hold on?
Speaker 1: Hold on, my god?
Speaker 4: Kill eight?
Speaker 5: Ohkay, it's very the one two hundred and ninety seven million today, Okay, two.
Speaker 1: Hundred and ninety seven million dollars in today's dollars is what it went for. That was the Lakers and the Kings and the Forum.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: You think there's been a bit of inflation over inflation. There's inflation and then there is real inflation in terms of the value of sports teams. By the way, at ten billion dollars, I think it's the biggest sale in the history of sports for a single team. It is, okay, fair enough, all right, So moving on. The guy who bought it, what's his name, Mark Walter, Mark Waltzers, that's it. Who is really heavily involved in sports. He's one of the players with not one of the players, one of the financial players with the Dodgers, and he has a bunch of other interests. So it's going to go into good hands.
Speaker 4: For sure, Israel says Iran will pay.
Speaker 5: Israel's Defense minister has warned that the Israeli military would be intensifying strikes on strategic targets in Iran after an Iranian missile got through last night and hit the largest hospital in southern Israel. No one was killed, but about forty people were injured, he said. The Defence minister said that the stepped up attacks would remove the threats to the state of Israel and destabilize the Ayatola's regime in Iran.
Speaker 1: Israel at this point can do whatever it wants from the air. It has complete air superiority and the anti air defenses have been for the most part taken out, so now it's just a question of choosing where it's going to hit, and Israel is kicking back. It could take out an entire oil infrastructure, It could wipe out every bit of revenue making facility that Iran has. Problem is, of course, that means oil, and then the world market for oil is all scrambled, which is already is, and so it is kind of a mess. But I think the line was drawn the largest hospital in southern Israel. Was that a mistake? Was it not? Was it targeted? Probably? So you're not going to tell you. At some point these people have to realize maybe it's not such a good idea to get into it with Israel, because Israel is not going to be restrained anymore. I ask the folks in Gaza how great an idea it was to attack on the other side of the border and kill those twelve hundred Israelis. Boy, that worked out for them, didn't it. And now Iran and it's so important for Ron to build a nuclear weapon that they're prepared to wipe out his country for it. I don't get it, all right.
Speaker 3: All right, Senate Democrats, along with at least one House Republican, are getting increasingly concerned that President Trump is considering striking I Ran without seeking authorization from Congress, or in their concerns, even filling them in on what plans or thoughts he has.
Speaker 1: Notice the point you made here a Senate I mean House Democrats and one Republican have introduced a measure to force congressional approval. Constitution is really clear. Only Congress has the right to declare war. That's it. Nobody else. It's right there in the Constitution. In the meantime, Congress is abrogated completely its ability or its power to declare war. President can do whatever the hell he wants now as far as Congress is concerned. That seems to be the case. And here are all the Republicans. As I said before, everybody's lining up. You know, no declaration of war. I will do what I want to do. It's that simple. I don't even have to tell you I'm thinking of doing it. This is the President talking to Congress, and everybody except one Republican at this point says, that's right, mister President, that's right. You do whatever you want. You declare war, you don't declare war. You tell us, you don't tell us whatever you want. We're backing it up. As Mike Johnson said, Congress is there for the sole purpose of furthering Donald Trump's agenda. So he's going to he doesn't even know what he's going to do, he said on Air Force One. I'll decide I don't know if I'm going to do it. I don't know if I am going to do it or not going to do it, but I'll make the decision.
Speaker 2: Well, is that war or I mean, what can.
Speaker 1: That's the problem? What is war? Well, there's a formal declaration of war under Congress. Last time there was a formal declaration of war was de Sebr eight, nineteen forty one, when Congress did declare war. The rest of the time, it's been the War Powers Act. There have been various abrogations of power. The President has a lot to say, but Congress saying, hey, at least come to us, you know, we like some kind of consultation. And the president's basically saying absolutely not. I'll decide, and the Republican members of Congress are backing him up. As I've said many times, and this one really pisses me off. If the President were to call for the dissolution of Congress saying Congress in itself is getting in the way of my administration and what I want to do for the country, you would have many Republicans literally vote themselves out of office. I'm convinced of that.
Speaker 3: Convinced I believe I am one hundred percent convinced that you are one hundred percent convinced of that that's true.
Speaker 1: Well said, anyway, we'll see what happens in the end. And by the way, it's not just Donald Trump Lyndon Johnson with the Gulf of Tonkin resolution we wait into Vietnam. That was in Congress. After the fact, he got Congress to back him up, and then we had the war powers resolutions passed. But for the most part, you know, the president has gotten unbright not just this president, but the president has gotten unbridled powers. I don't think the founding fathers ever considered this kind of power their president has. Okay, moving on.
Speaker 5: US officials say students have to go public with their social media. Foreign students applying for student visas in the US will be required to unlock their social media profiles so that US diplomats can review their online activity. The State Department said this new guidance will kick in. It directs US diplomats to do an online presence review to look for what it says, are any indications of hostility towards the citizens, culture, government institutions, or founding principles of the US question.
Speaker 1: Does that include, for example, going on grinder and advertising yourself as tool O Tool.
Speaker 2: Are you still using that name?
Speaker 1: No, because no one believes it, you know, but Hi, I'm looking for a date Buns of Steel. I think it may just be political. What do you think, guys?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: Never happened that has ever happened before. But you know, you know there is a method of that madness. Do we want to look at this is someone asking for the privilege of coming into the United States foreign students. There's no right here? Okay, no, no, can't. Are you I have a right to do that? That doesn't exist? Okay, we want to look at what you have done on social media? I mean already looking at background anyway. I mean they do background checks. I have no problem with this none. Then the issue is how far do you go merely criticizing the United States? Is that enough to say? No, the basic premise I agree with. But the interpretation the devil is in the details here, or the details are in the devil? Or the devil are the details or details you are? I am? Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So, despite Bill's belief that there are no cracks in the MAGA movement, there are some concerns that usually displays a very tight and unified look, especially on attacking the left. But Israel's military assault on Iran has splintered this group and President Donald Trump's coalition. There is rival actions fight over the true meaning of an America First foreign policy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they're split. There's no question, do you The President has said no intervention in foreign wars. Well, bombing Iran with that bunker buster is intervention. The problem is who believes America First and how it's defined. I want you to notice something what you left out. No one in the MAGA movement is disagreeing with the president being able to make that decision. He has the ability to make that decision. Arbitrarily, they're saying it's the wrong decision. We don't agree. And then you've got Tucker Carlson on the other side of Lindsey Graham. I mean, just it's really up in the air on this one. How isolationists do we want this country to be? Well, it's President Trump's call, of course, but you know he ran on we stay out of foreign wars. Same thing. You know, that's exactly what happened with the drow Wilson when he ran in nineteen sixteen, stay out of foreign wars of FDR in nineteen thirty six, we are I'm not going to send young men to war. Otherwise he would have lost the election.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but at what point does it become an American interest?
Speaker 1: That's exactly That's exactly it. And that's that's a good point. You know, at what point do you turn over? Is Iran having a nuclear weapon? Is that enough of a danger that we have to go in? I happen to think it is. And if Trump does a hit and bombs Iran, I think he's right on this one. I mean, I agree with him. The only issue is, you know, politically, since I'm not a big fan of Trump, I don't care about him turning his back on me and you know, going back on what he said was going to happen. But presidents do that all over the time. I mean they I mean, for God's sake, they promised one thing, they do something else. So this isn't new. There's just the Maga folks are the only thing that they just don't know where to turn on this one. This is the first real rift in Maga.
Speaker 4: Did she get away with murder?
Speaker 5: A jury has found Karen Reid not guilty of second degree murder in manslaughter in the twenty twenty two death of her police officer boyfriend in Boston. The same jury also found her guilty of charge of dui after deliberating for at least twenty two hours. Outside the courtroom, cheers could be heard from the crowd as the verdict was read. Reed's lawyers had long asserted that she was framed by police after she dropped John O'Keefe off at a party at the home of another officer that night in I believe it was a January evening. Prosecutors said that the forty five year old Reed hit O'Keefe with her SUV before driving away and basically leaving him to die, but the defense said he was killed inside the home and later dragged outside business.
Speaker 1: Remind you of the OJK the argument the police set up OJ and the hundreds in OJ's case, the thousands, that we're waiting outside for the jury decision. Okay, we're done. The answer is yes, right, Yes, he was a y.
Speaker 2: The buzz everything was yes.
Speaker 1: That was a speed chase, well slow speed chase in which she ran him over. That's pretty slow speed. She didn't speed to do that. All right, we're done.
Speaker 3: So here's something a little new. The National Transportation Safety Board has issued a very rare safety bulletin that's incredibly urgent warning of potential problems with the jet engines of the Boeing seven thirty seven Max aircraft. So we got that going for us, which is nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that the Max has a problem, doesn't it. As a matter of fact, have you looked at the title of the report. They've never done this before, and it just starts with you are going to die and then it goes on why the kind of yes, this is the problem. This is what the engines CFM International and Boeing together. CFM is one of the companies that makes engines. You also have General Electric, you also have Rolls Royce that makes engines for these puppies.
Speaker 3: Well, the interesting thing here is not only are they say that the airplanes may be equipped with affected engines, you know, so I'm assuming that might be something mechanical, but they also recommend modifications to the software for the engines, which is a double hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a mess. Oh talking about a mess.
Speaker 4: Amy epic fail for starship.
Speaker 5: Starship thirty six is getting ready for its tenth test flight from Texas when there was what they call a catastrophic failure. Starship the rocket exploded during a routine test in Texas last night. That's it happened at that Star based launch facility shortly after eleven o'class last night, and they had video of it and shows this big old rocket on the launch arm. There's a flash like a little pop of smoke, and then and the whole thing just erupts and explodes in huge flames.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They're originally scheduling this for July fourth, this test, but they did it early. And what happened to them?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, more great news.
Speaker 3: Medicare, Social and Social Security are you know, the whole go broke date when it's all going to implode on itself. They're pushed up. That date is pushed up due to rising healthcare costs. So yeah, so we have that looking forward. There's the date is twenty thirty six, No what it was now it's twenty thirty three, So a couple of years. Maybe the next year we'll get another three years shaved off it.
Speaker 2: So on and so on and so on.
Speaker 1: And I've talked about this before because it's a little bit complicated. Social Security was originally designed to supplement retirement, and unfortunately a lot of people rely solely on Social Security and the number of people that are working to pay those that are retire because that's the model. The number of people working are fewer, people retiring are more and lasting longer, and they're not dying, and so they've been playing with it. Soci Security taxes now are pretty high that both the employer and the employee pay and retirement has been extended. It was sixty five and it became sixty six. Now it's sixty seven. But it's still going to run out of money. Running out of money doesn't mean it goes broke. It just means it'll be cut by twenty percent for a while. And so it's twenty thirty three for Medicare and Social Security twenty thirty four. And it's going to coincide. You watch here is a financial prognostication. This is going to coincide with the value of Dumpsters are going to go through the roof just about this time.
Speaker 5: Maybe they should have done this before the surge. California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation so that between May twenty ninth and June twelfth, there were two homicides, eight unexpected deaths including possible overdoses, three attempted murders on peace officers, and nine on inmates. There were a total of three riots and about one hundred and seventy inmates participated in those riots. That was just between May twenty ninth and June twelfth. So in response to that surge of violence, prison authorities have done contraband enforcement sweeps at more than twenty correctional facilities around California, including at the La County facility.
Speaker 1: How many prisoners are there in California state prisoners one hundred and something thousand, if not more.
Speaker 2: The summer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these numbers are pretty pretty small relative to those but ninety four thousand prisoners and so we have fifty three improvised weapons.
Speaker 3: I thought you would think, sixty six cell phones, twenty four syringes, one hundred and fifty five illictit items. Yeah, all right, Gosh, these stories keep getting worse and worse. Dozens of pets in need of adoption were flown from Riverside County.
Speaker 2: To other shelters across the country.
Speaker 3: That's good news, but the bad news is that we continue to have an issue with pets that need homes. This is a life saving push to reduce the overcrowding that we keep hearing about and give these pets a second chance. I mean, technically, I don't think there is anything. You know, we call them no kill shelters, but they're just going to move these animals around if nobody Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean no kill shelters. They still kill the animals, but they kill the animals that are old, that are sick. And it's a thing is going on, which is kind of neat. First of all, virtually everybody gets a shelter dog. It used to be rare that people got shelter dogs. Now that it's very it's now it's rare when people don't get a shelter dog. Also, there's a thing about people adopting older, older pets in other words, basically bringing home to die and keeping them, you know, retired pets that are old, and it's just it's wonderful to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your new wife did that.
Speaker 1: Actually we have, We've had nothing but shelter dogs. This is the first time around. Yeah, this is the first. Oh, very nice. I'm sorry I misunderstood. I completely sweet. You're right, she has adopted an older Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, she got a rescue all right, good, yeah, nicely said.
Speaker 4: Let's all learn together, shall we.
Speaker 5: Wild Rivers Water Park is joining a global initiative to fight childhood drowning. They're hosting the world's largest swimming lesson. It's happening a week from today, June twenty sixth. The event is themed Mission Possible Swim Lessons Save Lives. Did you know that drowning remains one of the leading causes of death for children between one and four years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is around the world. This is great. I was talking. Matter of fact, I was talking to Neil about Max swimming and Max is a very strong swimmer to having been taught to swim early on. I taught my kids to swim when they were really small. Here's the other thing for those of you people that are teaching kids to swim and if you don't, if you have a swimming pool and you don't, you're crazy. Is I threw my kids into the pool with all of their clothes on and they didn't know that it was happening. Now, granted they're still in therapy over that, but let me tell you why I did that because when kids fall into pools, they don't do it in their swimsuits. They do it with their clothes and their shoes on, and they panic. So this one is. And then I told them afterwards, and I was talking to them about it, and they did fine. Oh Graham, maybe not so fine when they held their head underwater for a while because they were doing such.
Speaker 2: A I thought, you threw your credit cards in there, and they win.
Speaker 1: No, I never throw my credit cards. Are you kidding? If I had to, if it was catching question of saving my credit cards or my kids, where do you think that would go?
Speaker 3: I will tell you though, God bless my wife, who's a great swimmer herself, for doing that. Early on six months he was swimming under water and you can't do That's one of the things that one of the best things you can do for your kids at an early age is kidding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they forget, But they just forget. You have to be You got to keep it going.
Speaker 3: And you know what, look at your If you don't have the money, talk to your local why. A lot of them have these programs where it's either a very minimum amount of mon or free subsidized or something. So check that out, all right, Los Angeles sou sorry about that. Los Angeles Zoo just hatched ten healthy California condor chicks.
Speaker 2: That's huge. You remember when they were on their way out?
Speaker 1: Oh I think there were I think there were less than a dozen or six that existed on the planet, and they were here in California because they are native to California and indigenous, and they are so hideously ugly. They are gorgeous, by the way, They're just so ugly. And now they're making a comeback. We're still talking in the range of only two or three hundred do I have that right, amy, that are still around, and unfortunately they're dying in the wild because they run into power poles, power lines, et cetera. I mean, at the lowest ab I think it was less than a dozen that were left.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, they were on the brink.
Speaker 1: Yes, literally on the edge.
Speaker 5: They're currently more than three hundred and forty free flying California condors in the wild. Total population is estimated to be about five sixty.
Speaker 4: That includes those in captivity.
Speaker 1: Now can you imagine only five hundred and sixty existing animals that are left? And it was down to and it was down to under a dozen. I mean it was pretty scary. And they're magnificent birds, I mean utterly magnificent. Ugly, but utterly magnificent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, these guys aren't nearly as cute as my egletz.
Speaker 1: No, they are not. And they have wingspans they're like six feet I mean they're big, big birds. All right, Amy, No, welcome back. This is KFI AM six four. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app