Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome. It's time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you dress and we have our friends in from Dry County Tech and doctor Tammy Stroubele and the award winning George Hockey. Its how are we doing, guys and Gal?
Speaker 2: Wonderful, fantastic.
Speaker 1: Now Jordan blushing already, he got a big hundred.
Speaker 2: He did, he did.
Speaker 3: This past weekend, we had the opportunity, along with our other school board members, to attend the Oklahoma State school Boards Association and George was honored with the overall Oklahoma State school Board.
Speaker 2: So he's on he's on that board.
Speaker 3: Now. Out of twenty five hundred school board members in the state of Oklahoma, only five were chosen and George was one of those. Now, George didn't know he was being nominated for the award. You know, he is technically my boss, but he doesn't know everything that goes on at Trick County and so we kept it a secret and nominated and nominated him, and so it was a great It was a great surprise. I think it was a great surprise. Do you think it was a great surprise?
Speaker 1: Yes, it was.
Speaker 4: I'm truly honored to believe me, and it's been a blessing to be on the board of Tri County Tech. I've totally enjoyed it for the last twenty years and it has been an honored you know. I think one of the things I have to say is, you know, the state of Oklahoma when they put together the career tech system, they did it right, they did.
Speaker 1: I have to tell you this.
Speaker 4: You know, we've got the best career tech system in the whole nation. And I am blessed to be on the board here.
Speaker 1: I would agree. I would agree I've never seen anything like it work as well as it does in any community. Doctor. Hats off to you, the board.
Speaker 2: And every absolutely well.
Speaker 3: George is our board president, so you know, he is the leader of the best of the best. So it's just he is just an outstanding mentor and I'm just blessed to have him be able to help us and help point Tray County Tech in the right direction.
Speaker 1: So how big of a surprise was the surprise, George.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, of course, by you know, at that point in time, I knew, you know that I was going to be honored then, but you know, when when Tammy told me that I was going to win the award, that was a surprise that, you know, and like I say, I feel blessed to and you know, to consider that, you know, in the state, I think there are other people certainly more probably capable in me. But I'll accept it and go forward. And that's the way I think about it.
Speaker 1: How did you get involved in probotics of all things? Well, I got to ask what happens that way?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you know, this was twenty actually twenty one years ago that the program was started, and Anita Reisner was the superintendent and she took a leap of faith to start the program because actually Jim Bonzac, who's passed away, wanted to start a program his children who were in Florida. They were involved and said, why doesn't Bartlesville have a program? I was trying to get one started here and talked to Anita and at that time was the trick County was starting a pre engineering program, so it said, well why not have a robotics program? So looking around to find someone to be involved, and I was on the board and they and they said, well, you're an engineer, why don't you get involved? And Unfortunately, we had some other mentors around Nelson stateon and Dave Register, Don Lawfer and some Yeah. An All Star team there, yeah, oh yeah it was. It was beautiful. In the very first year, the team won Rookie All Star got to go to Atlanta to compete. And then the next year we were on the winning alliance in the first Oklahoma Regional and again the team went to Atlanta. So you know, got started on the right foot.
Speaker 1: There you go, and BoJack's boys were instrumental in getting that Artemis rocket ship up to the moon here recently. Yes, yes, wow, crazy, this is wonderful how it comes circle, It really is. So what else is cooking at the school?
Speaker 3: Well, we started school, Tom, I don't know if you know that. We had over seven hundred students walk through our door engaged in real world learning that leads to that leads to work, and that leads to that leads to jobs.
Speaker 2: We did this year.
Speaker 3: Also, we enhanced our safety protocols.
Speaker 2: So if you're.
Speaker 3: Looking to come see me and come and come visit, and I hope, I hope you will.
Speaker 2: I hope the listeners do. Everyone enters, even when George comes to see me.
Speaker 3: Everyone enters. Through our main entrance. We have locked all of our sixty three doors and everyone and then we'll get you where you need to be. Once you come in through that main entrance, will get you access where you need to to go. So it is much safer and that that is a big deal. That is a big deal for us.
Speaker 2: To do that. And I'll tell you who.
Speaker 3: The kids are doing fine when we said we're going to lock and they're like, all right, and they're finding their way around find some of the educators and visitors are like, what, I.
Speaker 2: Can't come in the door, but they're figuring it out. And I don't know about you.
Speaker 3: But I could use a few steps extra myself, So it is fine, It is fine. I do have some other data to share with you, and I'm going to have to read it. We had such a successful year last year. We had over twenty five hundred other students enrolled in workforce and economic development and another two hundred in adult and career development. Plus we taught over fifty thousand hours of safety training to the organizations in our district. And then I saved the best for last, so hang on. Our average wage was over twenty four dollars an hour and our graduates put six over six point three million dollars in the economy and I'm just super out of what we did last last school year.
Speaker 1: Now that really statistics.
Speaker 2: There, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those numbers don't lie.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 3: And being a post secondary institution, you know, our school starts all year long. We just don't start in August when those seven hundred students walked through our doors. So we're starting EMT classes, you know, emergency medical technician classes in October, and I believe we still have a few openings left for that.
Speaker 2: So if you are interested.
Speaker 3: In being an EMT, those are great jobs. We have clinicals with our friends at Jane Phillips Ascension, Saint John as well as other organizations the Bartlesvielle Ambulance where they can get there get their clinical experience and they're there.
Speaker 2: They're great, great jobs. And then we have other.
Speaker 3: Classes in electricity and plumbing and that are starting this fall too, So that you think about school starts in August, well not for Track County because we're post secondary, although over seven hundred people came through our doors last week, but we also start at other times during the year during the year as well.
Speaker 1: Man, that's great. You know, when I was younger, the push was you have to have that four year degree, you have to have that four year degree. But these schools, much like Tri County Tech, were just starting to emerge in the seventies and where I was growing up near Chicago, and I thought, well, Jeepney, you know, I've never seen a plumber go broke. I've never seen an electrician go broke. That fellas who handled the air conditioning are living pretty good. And there were just other options out there. And I knew so many guys that I graduated waited high school with who learned by using their hands. It was it was that that's where they lived. That was that was a wheelhouse. And when I came to town and I saw Cray County Tech, and I saw what a value this is. And then I started reading up on your history. I'm thinking, Wow, we've got it. We've got a diamond here. We better take care of this gym.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, careers and healthcare careers in as you were saying the trades, yeah, careers and uh and we have some college preparatory program you do like that George alluded to. But we are about hands on learning and getting students of any age from the classroom to work, get a job, get a job.
Speaker 2: And let's not forget cosmetology. Oh yea to do that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you guys work on hear and teeth.
Speaker 2: We do work on haar and teeth.
Speaker 1: What was it about a year ago that the medical wing or the yes opened up? Really that that.
Speaker 2: Was awesome, absolutely lea state of the art.
Speaker 3: Those simulation mannequins, Tom, they'll kind of scare you, they will because if they're like checking how they put the light in your eyes bill blink, they will. I was down there one day when in all of our operatories, in all of our rooms, they had a birthing simulation. They I forgot how many children were born in that day. Well over twenty simulated children were born that day. It is incredible the experience that students can happen and they receive hands on experience in and clinical sitting setting is an actual workplace settings. But we can simulate the experience in that in that newly newly offered that newly offered wing. That is amazing, amazing. Again, it'll it'll it'll scare you, it.
Speaker 1: Will gorge I gotta ask you, you know, twenty years ago when you first got on the ball, Lord, did you ever think in all those yeares that you be having simul heated berths like that.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right, and say, that's the other thing is and that we know this today things are changing so rapidly, and that's that's the other thing that we have to our students have to understand, is you have to stay abreast of all of these changes and understand that today's job may not be here five years from now, so be ready to adapt and change. And that's what's going on in today's industries. And that's what we're doing, is preparing our students for these changes, to be ready to be adaptable. And and like you said earlier, you know there are so many jobs out there, and not everyone has to go to college.
Speaker 1: You know, I went to college.
Speaker 4: Yes, I got a degree in electrical engineering. But I I feel that what we have to do is look at every individual and decide what is best for you as an individual. Correct, Because a lot of our students they'll come and go and get find something for them and maybe they'll go out and work and then go to college. You never know, you know, it's it's what's best for each individual. And uh, there's so many opportunities you know, we have. We're the only school right now that have that has the hybrid nursing program. And uh, this is an opportunity for our students to go through a nursing program and basically almost do it at home. But they still they have to go do their clinicals and all that. But it gives an opportunity for these students to get their education in a different way than like you say, twenty years ago, and gives us an opportunity to educate more students.
Speaker 1: So this is amazing.
Speaker 3: And the way students learn now, students don't learn in twenty twenty six, the way I learned, not in twenty twenty six a couple a few decades ago. Yeah, they don't. And so we adapt to not only the workforce needs, which is very important, like George was saying, but the way students learn today to meet their diverse needs.
Speaker 2: And that's exciting, It is very It is exciting.
Speaker 1: And we started out as based on nursing. That was the ades.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that was the first program at the first technology center in the state of Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: Absolutely nice full circle. Huh, you better believe it. You better believe it.
Speaker 1: Anything else you'd like to share with us, we got it. I think we've got something coming up here, don't we?
Speaker 2: We do, absolutely so.
Speaker 3: Our Tri County Tech Foundation helps support our students through scholarships, emergency assistance, and food aid.
Speaker 2: You know, Tom, we do not.
Speaker 3: Accept federal financial tuition aid for our students, and we still have students that need help. About ninety percent actually of our adult students need help paying their tuition and the Foundation.
Speaker 2: Helps pay that gap.
Speaker 3: And our biggest fundraiser is the golf tournament, the Foundation Golf Tournament, which is October first at Hillcrest Country Club, and we still have some sponsorships available and some teams available. I would love I don't golf, but I would love to see you out there. I do eat lunch and I ride around in a golf.
Speaker 1: Cart, and so you look spectacular at it.
Speaker 3: Some people say I must be, you know, the person that looks after to be sure that there's no cheating going on. I don't do that because I wouldn't even know what that is. But please come out and see us and support our students, and if you're not able to do that and participate in the golf tournament. Look at the good our foundation does. We're changing lives of students that we receive thank you notes almost every day from students who lives have been changed, who never would be able to think about pursuing a fantastic career without the support of our community and the support of the funds we raise from this tournament.
Speaker 1: And I understand these students walk out usually get free, exactly.
Speaker 4: And I want to add to that. You know, from the time I joined the board, one of the first things I did was attend the nurse's penning ceremony. Yeah, and ever since then, I've tried to attend as many as I possibly can. And when I do attend those, I keep my little cheek cheat and keep track of how many of the nurses when they give their little those talk say, I want to thank the Trick County Tech Foundation for a.
Speaker 1: Scholarship.
Speaker 4: And it's the percentage is way up there, it's like ninety percent somewhere in that number. And you know, and I always tell the Foundation board, you know, thank you, because it's because of the foundation that these students are able to attend, you know, and they're and so that's why we encourage people to participate in the golf tournament.
Speaker 1: That's why we encourage them.
Speaker 4: To make donations to the foundation, because that money goes back to the students. It's not being wasted, it goes directly to the students to help the students. And and like you say, they're going coming out with debt free, you know, and we're talking about the adult students. Obviously they're our youth. They're going there free anyway. I mean, you know, the taxpayers are governing gladly because they're going to go to work.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yes, absolutely, And the students that Georgia are talking about, once they receive jobs in our community, that is for generations, their children live better, their families better. They live here, they buy homes here, they buy furniture here, they buy food here. They are putting money back into our community and they come back and support us too. It's a beautiful it's a beautiful circle to be able to be involved in.
Speaker 1: I want to thank you both for being here with us today. Well, thank you, doctor Strobel and also George halfy Itis, thank you very much for being with us and representing so well our beautiful, wonderful track. Auntie Tech here in Bartlesville, right here on Bartlesville Radio. Folks, you've been watching and listening to our community connection