Speaker 1: It's Maria's MutS and Stuff. What a great idea on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Maria's Mutts and Stuff and with me is director of Emergency and Critical Care at Redbank Veterinary Hospital. It is Anna Massey and I have been waiting to speak with Anna for months and months and it makes sense that she's a vet and a mom and everything because she's so very patient patient.
Speaker 3: She's waited for months.
Speaker 2: I've had technical difficulties, I've gotten kicked out of my studio and she's always like, Okay, we'll talk again.
Speaker 4: So welcome Anna, Hi, thank you so much for having me. It was I'm definitely it's worth the weight.
Speaker 3: Oh you're too sweet.
Speaker 2: And you also have the blog, but we'll talk about that later. The blended vet dot com and it's working mom plus er vet. So tell me when did you decide that you wanted to be a vet.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I was one of those that knew very very at a very young year age like eleven twelve, and then I just I started working in like the kennel in the back of you know, my local vett hospital, and then became like a little vet assistant and then a like technician and and then I decided I'm going to want to go to a college where there's a VET school attached I can work there. So I was like very focused, Like I was like, I know, that's what I want. The school ended up going to they had a VET hospital that had a or an er that you could basically volunteer. Is the only place in the whole hospital or school that you could volunteer. And so I just happened to start doing emergency and I absolutely fell in love with it. I just and so then I've just kind of stayed there ever since. That was back in like the mid nineties, and I've been doing er stuff ever since.
Speaker 3: Wow, And what is it about the er that like that attracts you? Do you think?
Speaker 2: I mean, is it one particular thing or is it like a combination of stuff?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really I think that it's there's always something new, Like you never know what's going to come in, so you know, there's there's no way that you're going to ever be bored. And I like that sort of you don't know what you're going to get, you know. I know other people who are kind of like, no, I want to know exactly what my days be like sure, but I kind of like that, I you know, sort of like I'm just gonna have to be on my toes and like, you know, as things come, I'm going to have to try to figure it out. You know. It's very fast paced, be a little chaotic, and you learn how to like multitask or at least to the best of your ability multitask, right. But yeah, I just I kind of like, you know, that's where I started, and I just sort of stay there the whole time because it's like I'm still not bored and I've been doing it for like twenty years now.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. That's amazing, because yeah, I'm sure it must be.
Speaker 2: I'm sure your job would probably make someone who doesn't like change or doesn't like like suddenness or like unknown suddenness go crazy. But that's I think it's a very unique personality trait that for someone to be able to do that, because you also have to be you know, cool and calm because you're also dealing with panicking parents too.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, for sure. Yeah, I think it's you know, having like putting yourself in their shoes, you know, which, like I have my own pets, so like I've I've had that experience, and I think about, like, oh my god, what is it like It's like having you know, like a mom bringing her kid to the er and like you know, not wanting to be separated from them and all of those things that you know, like it's easy to just be like, Okay, let's do our thing and we'll treat the patient, but you have to also treat the owner too. You have to think about that they're what they're going through. It's totally It's just such an emotional experience, especially when they're really really sick, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it also sounds like you were born to do this, you know what I mean, because sometimes I mean we've all met vets and I'm sure you have more so than me over you know, your lifetime. Who are doing it because it's a job, but you know, but you this is like you love you love this, This is what you were meant to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I do. And I think like a lot of people who go into emergency, they do kind of burned out and they end up doing something else. So it's like not common that you do it for this so long. And I do have like a hybrid role now where I you know, I do some administrative stuff because it's it's hard to you know, do do like the floor work one hundred percent of the time as I'm aging rapidly and.
Speaker 3: Oh stop it, you know.
Speaker 4: And I have all these kids at home that are like, you know, you know, giving you lots of green hairs, but I do, so I would never want to step away from it fully, you know, I would never want to not be on the floor at all. So right, and I also, yeah, it's like one of those things that if you you're leading the people that are doing this stuff and you're not in it with them in the trenches, and it's it's hard, you know for them to like, it would be hard to have respect for them. I think it's the person in charge as much. So I try. I try to be there with them and and not just like standing off to the side watching.
Speaker 2: Sure, but I also think it probably makes the people who you work with feel better about emergencies because they can count on you and you're not just phoning it in.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I mean I hope, I hope that's the game.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, of course it is. But you're not going to give yourself credit. I could tell but I but I think it's really important to always have someone who you can like other people can turn to because they're cool headed in emergencies, and in emergencies is every day of your job. So yeah, it's easy, not easy for you, but it's I think it's natural for you, which I think again is very unique.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think there are people like I mean, there's people who go into critical care with you know, with that that go in specifically into you know, ICU level stuff, and that's that is their passion and they make a career out of it. But I would say that, Yeah, the compassion fatigue is a real thing, and I'm sure the same for you know humans who you know, human medicine, like surely are I'm sure it's the same thing. So it does. Yeah, I'm sure you know, it's not for everybody, but it has been for me and I like it.
Speaker 3: No, that's great.
Speaker 2: And is there any advice you would give, say to someone who's listening right now and they're you know, their child is thinking of being a vet, any piece of advice that somebody told you to pass on or just I mean just I don't know.
Speaker 3: Anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you really like have to want it, and you really really has to be that. You couldn't think of doing anything else but that, because it can be a hard road to get there, and it does. You know, like people who are in the vet world, they tend to be like very empathic people and they feel other people's pain a lot, and it can it can take a lot of toll on people. And you know, I like to see animals, you know, suffering and to know that, Okay, I'm going to be doing something to help them. That you have to see some degree of suffering along the way. You have to you know, be okay with that, knowing that it's a means to an end. Sure, because I think there's so many people out there who would love to be vets. But I think it just like it would be hard for a lot of people, I think, to go through it and to see that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, definitely, I understand that.
Speaker 2: I Mean I've always I thought about it when I was younger, but I'm not really good with like blood and guts and stuff, I mean, you know what I mean, And I just knew, like, oh, that's not going to be a good I mean, like, I don't even like when my own blood is taken, I have to look away. I'm a woos So I was like, yeah, being a vet would not be good for me, even though I love animals.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, and in your case, like you've found a way to, you know, help them immensely, probably in a bigger way than what best are doing because you're getting the word.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you're saving lives. It's different. You're saving lives. I'm just like talking about it. So but thank you.
Speaker 4: You are also saving lives.
Speaker 3: You are all right, well, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: So so let's talk a little bit about your blog, because first of all, I have to tell you, and I'm not just saying this, I really love your writing because I feel like, well, it's just it's very sincere, and it's very honest, and it's very.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just very honest.
Speaker 2: And you I feel like I'm talking to you, even though we've never spoken before until now. But I feel like when I'm reading your blog, because I was reading some of the articles and yeah, I just I really really I want to read more of them.
Speaker 3: So what made you decide to start doing that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it was a little bit before the pandemic, but I really did start to get into it more then, and I just like I wanted some kind of outlet for, you know, all the stress that we were all feeling at that time, and I wanted to I realized at some point that that a lot of what I was, you know, had learned over the years working in the emergency room and in a vet vet er, that I was actually like applying it to my home life. And and it was kind of like embracing the chaos that you know, life can bring, and you know, just like multitasking, staying calm and being as patient as possible, and you know, kind of keeping the bigger picture in mind. And you know, I think all of those things like overlapped and and so, like a lot of my things that I write about there, there's a little bit of like being a parent, and there's also stuff about being a pet parent and also being a VET and trying to educate people, because I do love to talk about stuff and make you know, if there's something that maybe doesn't make sense, you know that your vet said to you, I like to be able to explain it. I think that's one of my strong points, is like explaining things in like Layman's terms so that people really get it, and they're like a lot of times I've had thank you so much for explaining it because I didn't get it. I think sometimes we forget and we start talking a bunch of medical speak yes to people who aren't used to it, and it just overwhelms them even more than they already are yes. So yeah, it's kind of like I and I have this blended family. You know, I married Sean, which I think you know Sean.
Speaker 2: I know Sean, yes, and he talked about you, and that's how I reached out to you, you know. I guess yeah, he put it together because he was like, oh, you should talk to my wife.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, okay, yeah. So so a shout out to Sean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you, thank him very much for doing that. He's yeah, he's He and I, you know, got together, I guess, like eight years ago, and you know, he came with a couple of boys and I came with a couple of girls, and so it's kind of like a like a like a weird Brady Munch type situation and then we end up having a six year old together. And so it's also I know, there's so many blended families out there that I like, you know, I felt like there's a way to connect with others and have that shared experience. It's never a perfect road, you know, you have, it's more complicated than than most families can be, and so like I wanted to have a forum to talk about that, but also kind of just overlap it with you know, how we have pets and how pets are part of our lives, part of our family, bring us together and and so it was just kind of like there, you know, I'm kind of speaking to people who are who have pets, who have families and also just want to know more about you know, different you know, medical things that could be happening with their pets. So it's kind of like there's a there's a couple of different audiences I guess I'm reaching, but to me, they kind of all blend together.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I just I read your recent one Leap of Faith, which is really about your kids on that trip, and it's just really very funny and I love that you just dropped f bombs all over the place because I feel like, yeah, that's me normally talking, except you know, at work.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean we're keeping it real and you know.
Speaker 3: It's it's so perfect.
Speaker 4: I feel like I want to I don't want to, you know, portray social media these days, it's much it's very much like here's this ideal situation.
Speaker 3: It's just ridiculous.
Speaker 4: You just think that. Yeah, and I wanted to be pretty raw and exposed, and I think that is relatable and hopefully somebody could read that and be like, yeah, I feel the same way. Or I also feel like guilt or maybe a little bit of shame, or I feel like maybe I'm not doing a great job. But in the end, I think, you know, we have this like perspective together.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: That's why I love your writing so much, because it is it's like we're experiencing it together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you. That's very that's very kind. I mean, I don't it started as me just kind of doing like an online diary, and but my my biggest thing is like I just I want to use it to be able to reach people. And I have a lot of moms that like reach out to me, like mom friends, and they don't feel scared to call me and ask me questions about you know, what's going on with their pet, and I've often saved them trips to the er, and so I feel like like and they're always like, I'm so sorry, Like I feel like I should pay you. I'm like, oh my god, no, Like, this is what I do for a living. And if I can't help my friends, you know, with their pets, like what is what is the point of like my job and what is the point of me? So I wanted a place where people can feel free to ask questions and I can answer, you know, general questions and help to educate because I think, you know, it just makes people better pet parents to have more information. And like I said, sometimes you go to the ved and like you walk away and you're like, I'm not really sure just what happened there?
Speaker 3: No exactly. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: I think it happens to more people than we think, you know, because and I think they because I don't know, people to me sometimes even for their own health when they go to a doctor for themselves and you know, everybody holds doctors up, you know, in this high pedestal, and they're afraid to ask questions and they.
Speaker 3: Walk out like, well, what was what the doctor say? Well, I don't know. I used these big words, Well why didn't you ask?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I felt weird or you know.
Speaker 2: And I think sometimes it might be the same with people with their pets because they're afraid to ask. Because we're just layman. Maybe we should know those terms, you know.
Speaker 4: So yeah, for sure I think that happens. Yeah, yeah, So I just I'm I'm I feel like we did this, we got into this field because we want to help people. And I don't I don't mind. I'm like, I please. I was like, like, please, don't feel bad calling me. I was doing the other day. I was like making dinner and I had like two pots going, and then I'm like in the background trying to make sure this six year old doesn't actually murder himself. And then I have a friend calling me and she's like, my dog ate like this much gum and it has Zylos call, which is.
Speaker 3: You know, laughing, but oh my god.
Speaker 4: So I'm like calculating the dose, calling her back, saying no, it's actually okay, it'll be fine. And you know, so I did feel like that one brief moment in time, I was like I did like I was actually truly multitasking it and I helped her and I made my So it was one of those like rare moments where I actually felt like I did a good job.
Speaker 2: You did a great job. Your your six year old didn't murder itself. That's the funniest line ever. Your friend's dog was okay, and you cooked dinner like that doesn't that's not the picture of multitasking.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, every once in a while it happens.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it happens more than that. But that was very, very funny.
Speaker 2: So one of them. We should really talk about it. And I am comfortable talking to you about it because you were so kind and caring to send me when you realize that Fredo, my dog, who looked so much like you're wellie, when Fredo passed away, and you sent me your blog about pet loss, and you know, it's something that people don't talk about, or they're ashamed of it, or they feel I think it's always people feel well. I shouldn't have these strong feelings because it was my pet.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I had strong feelings then, like say when my dad died or something.
Speaker 3: But that's all normal.
Speaker 2: And that article that you have about pet loss, I think I told you when you sent it to me. I started reading it on the air and I was like, oh, I can't you know, And it was like it was pretty recent, so it was like a few maybe like four months or something after Fredo died, and I was like, oh my god, I'm starting to cry.
Speaker 3: I can't do this on the air.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, sorry, I'm sorry I had that effect. But it was like, I think you're it's like years past. I think they can these feelings can come up any time, you know. Sure, yes, you would see a picture of him or think of something or something reminds you. And it's like with grief, like with anything like with yeah, people or pets, I think that happens, and yeah, it's I could see how much love you have for him, and I know you were giving me some updates on what was going on with him, and I could get a sense of like you just really wanted to make him comfortable and as happy as possible, and that that is what a good pet parent does. Well.
Speaker 2: Thanks, I mean, and tell me if you hear this from from you know, pet parents that you deal with, I you know, the whole thing, And I mean I talked about a little bit on the air but probably not a lot more on Maria's MutS and stuff that you know, he had bone cancer and the option is always to me, it's like, oh, bone cancer, that's a death sentence, but especially for a thirteen year old dog. But the option was to amputate or put him under chemo, which I didn't want to do either because of his age. Because I also know and have friends who have kept and done things to their pets because they wanted them to stay alive for them, and I understand that, I'm not judging it, but I just didn't think.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to do that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, after he died and I thought, oh, well, maybe I should have, And I really had doubts for for, you know, on and off for maybe I don't know, a few weeks where then I was like, no, no, no, no, it's I did the right you know, we did the right thing. And then I was like, well, maybe, but is that normal? Do you hear that from your patience too?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is one hundred percent normal, And I hear that a lot, and I think that you know, it's it's it's it's a reaction you're going to have, because I think with when you lose when you lose somebody that's important to you, you think of all the what if and you think of, like, you know, if something had happened differently, and I think that's totally natural. But I think the biggest thing to remember is that you made a very selfless decision, you know, because, like you said, there are people who kind of go they put their pets through stuff, and sometimes sometimes, you know, I can understand, and I'm kind of measured myself with what I do with my own pets, and I think I have no judgment for you know, the people that are gonna go and do X, y Z, and then others who just say, like, I think it's time to stop. And I think it has to be your own personal decision. And I think you went with your gut, which I think is always the right thing to do. And I think at the end of the day, I hear more often like I wish I had done this, I wish I had decided to say good bye sooner, and I wish I hadn't done all these things. So I rarely hear the opposite, and so it's just one of those things, like I you know, people sometimes ask, well, what would you do in this situation, and I will volunteer the information they asked me, but I also caveat that with this is your pet, and you know your pet better than anyone else, and it ultimately has to be like you search deep inside yourself and you you decide. You know, it's such a tough thing though, and yeah, like you know, it could have gone like where you know, he had you know, surgery and a lot of chemo, and then you would and maybe didn't handle things low, and then you would be looking back thinking like why did I do all of that? You know? Yes, ye, at the end of the day, like it sounds like he would very peacefully and like you had his comfort in mind, and I think that is the most important thing. So you should feel like really comforted by that.
Speaker 3: No, well, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And honestly, the fact that he died in my apartment with me, you know, nearby, just made me very happy because I didn't have to make the decision, even though it was coming close to it. But you know, unfortunately, and I know you hear it a million times from everybody, is like, you know, our pets don't live as long as we do. You know, that's that's the worst part about you know, getting one and raising one is that you know, can't you live as long as me?
Speaker 4: But right, yeah, yeah, I know, And I think we just keep doing it over and over again, like well that's the thing, and help ourselves because the way they bring to our lives is like we know, okay, we know that this is probably you know, we're gonna we're going to outlive them most likely, you know. So it's knowing that it's going to happen, we still choose to do that. I don't think it's insane.
Speaker 3: I think it was just you're in my head.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, isn't that the definition of insanity when you keep repeating it wanting a different outcome?
Speaker 3: But it's not insane.
Speaker 4: No, I mean it sounds insane, but I do. I do think it just means that you you want to have that special connection in your life, had so much and they're the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's nothing.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm more of a dog person, I always admit that than a cat person, but even cats are cute. I mean, there's just something about having that living creature near you, and there's just that animal human bond to me, and even not just cats and dogs, you know, like horses and just you know, pigs. I think they're also amazing, So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they all, they all I think add stuff to our lives. And I saw the pictures of Freda. He's like you could see like that soul in his face and like he was so I'm so sorry, you know, like that's I'm sure you're still I would also be still in mourning too. Yeah, I think I'm still in mourning about Welly. And that happened like a year ago, you know, I just.
Speaker 2: And well He was so much like they both looked so much alike they could be siblings, I know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, I know. Yeah. Black labs are some of my favorite and he was a he was like a mix, but he had a little white patch on his chop, but he looked like mostly lab and labs are like kind of my go to. I would never you know, I don't think i'd ever like purchased a lab because I feel like you could you can find a perfectly good dog, you know.
Speaker 3: Absolutely and shelter anyway, exactly. Yeah, that's funny, but I do.
Speaker 4: I do have a love for them, It's true.
Speaker 2: And there's of course the whole black dog syndrome and that's what kind of led me to Fredo. And he was a mix too, so yeah, yeah, you know, and I think he came from like Mississippi or something, so yeah, I know. But you also but then you you recently you have another dog. I mean, I know you have more than one dog, right, you have a bunch of right, but didn't you get another dog adopt another dog after?
Speaker 3: Welly is that right?
Speaker 4: I did? I did. I got her from from guiding Eyes.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, that's right. Yeah, so like a failed seeing eye. Yeah, yeah, I know. I love that.
Speaker 2: It's like when you find out what failed them and it's something that we just take for granted, but of course you know something. Yeah, so yeah, oh so let's talk about her.
Speaker 4: So I know, she's amazing. She's a really sweet girl. And I I didn't expect because I was on a list for a long time to get another lab drawer that was like a medical release, and it took me a long time to get him. But I think because her her what she had going on was like pretty severe, and so I think like they were like I don't know if anyone else is going to want her, so like I actually I didn't expect, like, because I sent an email to them probably like I don't know, a week or two after WELLI passed because I just thought, okay, I got to get this process started right. And then they immediately wrotay back and I said, we have this dog and she has a you know, a liver problem she was born with, and you know there you know we we don't we obviously can't use her as a guide dog. We're trying to adopt her out to a veterinary professional. So I ended up, you know, kind of convincing Sean, though I think it was you know, he he pretends like he doesn't want to go along with these things, and he's kind of like just throws his hands up, and I think he kind of he secretly likes it, you know. Of course, of course, yeah, but it was hard because she had all these all this medical issue and she needed medications that I had to make food for her every day, which I I've told my clients do but I was like, I would never do that, you know, And then here I am, I'm doing it for her, of course, yeah, but she did. She had her procedure a couple of months ago, and knock on what she's been doing really well, and we're hoping to like fatten her up a little bit, but not so much that she's like that people I work with make fun of me, but not that she has some chunk on her, you know, right, No, I.
Speaker 2: Get some chunk, but not like they say it, like she becomes a fatty lab because that's the thing, right right, exactly?
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, but she was she was great like she Actually, I think healed us a lot. And I think it's always I think it's different for everybody as far as like when are you going to get another Some people were like, I will never do this again, and they wait a really long time, or maybe they don't because it's just that hard, and that's that's okay, but correct. And some people go out immediately and I think, you know, I just threw it out there like hey, and then it came back to me immediately, so I'm like, Okay, I guess it's meant to be, right.
Speaker 2: No, that's how I would look at it too. It's true, I mean, and you're right, I mean that's how I feel it. You can't really there's no judgment because everybody's different, you know. Some people wait a really really long time. My brother and my sister in law, and they're older, they when their docs and died on don't even know. It was before COVID, and my brother was like, I will never do it again because he was so devastated when the dog passed away. And now they're older and their kids are out of the and I'm like, dude, get a dog, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's really funny.
Speaker 2: They go back and forth, but yeah, but he's definitely one of those never again because hiss, like his heart was torn out like the rest of us, you know, but we're all my gluttons and go like, no, no, it's.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, the ones of us, right, No, it's true.
Speaker 3: No, it's really true. Because I'm gonna have to be honest. I've been like, that's it.
Speaker 2: I'm never getting another dog, which doesn't make any sense because I've you know, I love dogs so much. But and then I'm like, well, and and then over the weekend when I did the thing with North Shore Animal League and they had their van and they had dogs in it and cats, and of course I went in and cats always play with my hair, so there was a cat like through the cage that was playing with my hair and I'm like.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's cute.
Speaker 2: And then there was a dog and I just she there was just something and she was like they took her out and she was leaning on me and I was like, no, no, I can't, it's too soon.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness. Maybe no. No. I mean I stood there.
Speaker 2: Back and forth, and I thought, Okay, well, this is a good. That means I'm healing and it's going to happen, but not yet, like I knew I wasn't ready, but but yeah, because and then I was thinking about her during the day and I'm like, well stop, and it's.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, it was torturous happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, so I think it's good.
Speaker 2: It means you know when I said never again with Frado, just because it was so sudden and so awful. But I'm like, well, and she kind of looked like him, but she had bite on her chest.
Speaker 3: She was like a lab hit mix, but she her legs were shorter.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, like, okay, you think I'm like in love with this dog, but okay, but there'll be others.
Speaker 3: There'll be others. I know I'm not ready, but.
Speaker 4: Yet, I mean, and you too, so many of these things that I'm you're going to be around some some pet that needs a home, and you're gonna just at that point, it's going to be the time, you know, and that's what you're getting there, and that's that's good.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's good eventually. Yes.
Speaker 2: So we just gave good advice without even realizing it right to people who are wondering what to do.
Speaker 3: I know, yeah, so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, can some people just got to be eased into it. And you again, just like I think it's with anything, you just kind of trust your instinct, trust your gut, your you know, your heart when it comes to these things, and I think usually it's okay, it'll be okay. I think it's just it's hard, and like when you've got kids and stuff also in the mix, and it's like, you know, do you want to I felt very guilty about bringing a puppy into the house that had a release of your medical problem because I'm like, they're like, oh, I can't believe she's ours, and they like immediately fell in love with her, and I'm like, oh my god, what have I done? You know, like what if something really I knew something that could happen? And she might not be able to have the procedure or it might not work, and and so you know, thankfully it all went okay. But at the end of the day, like there's so much love, you know, there's love for her and she's like loving on them and like to have that experience, even if it ends up being somewhat fleeting, like to give her like a good life for whatever that time period is, I think is more important.
Speaker 3: I think so too. I was thinking the same thing.
Speaker 2: And also for your kids to have that experience too, even if things had not gone well, but at least they had the experience and they had that love for her, which I you know, but thankfully nothing that didn't happen, so you don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 4: Yes, oh off at least, So yeah, that's good.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: So what's a piece of advice or what would be And maybe there's not one thing at all I would say for someone who's listening right now and they're thinking, you know, maybe I should get a dog or a cat or I never had one before, but they're talking about this love. Is there one thing we can think of you can think of to tell someone who's wants to put like their toe in the water, never had a dog or cat, and is there anything like one thing?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think that if you've never had one before, it is you know, it can be just a completely life changing experience. And I think that having just going into it knowing like this is going to be like a member of your family and they're going to need to have preventive care, you know, to avoid you know, users that could be avoided and there they could end up needing a surgery or something like that in the future. And I this sounds like really boring, but I recommend to anybody to get pet insurance because nope, you know, the cost of that care is very high now. And I really hate more than anything when I hear like somebody's like trying to make a medical decision about their pet and they have to worry about the financial part of it, and that is heartbreaking. And as a vet, any of us, like we did not get into this field to you know, like worry about the money part of things. And so that it sounds like kind of like a boring thing to say, but I think, just try to get pet insurance because it's totally worth it, and it takes a whole layer of concern out, you know, kind of throws that out the window when you're faced with like having to make like maybe a major medical decision, and you can make it with like you know your your heart more and you don't have to worry so much, you know, for people who you know, have never had a dog before, Like, you know, I put stuff on my blog before about just like how a puppy proof your home, and the people if you never had a dog before, you don't know all the stuff as they couldn't get into or of things that could be toxic that aren't toxic to humans but are are to pets. Are you know, So I think doing a little bit of research, you know, the internet can be dangerous. But as long as I think you're getting advice from a vet, I think you're you're good. So I think I think it's just like remembering that they're they're going to be a member of your family, and it's not like a piece of furniture. It's like there's a there're a living, breathing thing that's gonna you know, need love and attention, and you know, if you feel like you're going to be out of your home too often, to interact with them, and you're not going to be able to have somebody help out with that. Then I think those are all considerations because there are some people make those kind of impulse of decisions and get pets and then it turns out their life really isn't built to have a pet in.
Speaker 2: It exactly, especially with the holidays fast approaching. You know, yeah, it's not a good holiday gift.
Speaker 4: You know, it's not. No, I said, all the buddies and during Easter and the chicks and Easter like it's crazy town.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, it is great.
Speaker 4: And then you end up having more more pets that are in the shelters that you end up getting, you know, encountering when you're doing these these things to help out, and a lot of them are most likely, you know, from situation. Oh yeah, some of them are from situations like that where people just like didn't know what they were getting into.
Speaker 3: That's true. No, that's true.
Speaker 2: No, that's great, great advice, that's perfect advice. So doctor Anna Massey, director of Emergency and Critical Care at Red Bank Veterinary Hospital, also the Blended Vet, the blended vet dot com, and she also has if you have questions, help at the Blended vet dot com.
Speaker 3: So I think you keep doing all that you do.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I love reading your articles and I feel like it keeps me in touch with you and your family and you know, and thanks for all your advice and for sharing all of your knowledge and your empathy.
Speaker 3: Because too many people don't have empathy these days.
Speaker 2: And I just appreciate your time because you are very You're a multitasker and even on your days off, you made time to talk with me for Maria's Mutz's stuff.
Speaker 3: So thank you.
Speaker 4: Well, I appreciate you. I mean, you could just be like in the awesome DJ you are and just have it be leave it at that, but you like go the extra step and you're you know your music like that's you know, bringing music into people's lives. That's like to me, that's such a huge thing and it's and it adds so much. But you're also like advocating for these creatures that can't don't really have a voice of their own, and I think that is incredibly powerful and special that you're using your powers for such good. You know, I so well, thank you go to you. I'm glad there's people like you out there. So music plus pets like you have, like your life is awesome.
Speaker 3: Well you're very sweet. Well thank you.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. I really do. Thank you, thank you, thank.
Speaker 4: You all right, thanks thanks for spending time and for making carving our little time for me and I so enjoy talking to you.
Speaker 3: There has never been a greater operator in the stop see you Rader vmigator