Speaker 1: Seven six at fifty five KRC de talk station and a very happy what I love to call Friday Eve and anticipation at tomorrow, which is going to be the Christmas Show. Rob Ryder in studio with his guitar, which is tradition here in the fifty five KRC Morning Show and it has been since my dad was behind the microphone again. I'm concluding my eighteenth year radio tomorrow, which is the last day of the year for me. I'm gonna have several people filling in for me, Dan Carroll and Kevin Gordon and Garrett Jeff Walker, and so enjoy those folks for the balance of the year. And I'm looking forward tomorrow and celebrating Christmas. And I've been looking forward to this all morning. I have in studio Patty Scott and Roger King. They're with an organization called Heart four Seniors, and I'll recommend you check them out online. It's the word heart with the number four followed by seniors dot or So we're gonna learn about this nonprofit and what they do for seniors, which is really an unbelievably important thing. Patty, Roger, Welcome to the fifty five Karasy Morning Show. I'm really happy you're able to come in studio. I love having face to face conversations.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Brian, You're.
Speaker 1: More than welcome. You can feel free to talk. Roger got shocked by the microphone. He grounded out. I think he's afraid of it now. He's just had some static electricity built up.
Speaker 3: Like Roger.
Speaker 1: No one has ever been shocked by that thing. It doesn't have current flowing through it. You're okay, But how long? When did you start Hard for Seniors and more fundamentally, what was your motivation behind starting this organization?
Speaker 4: Well, I have to say, Brian, we started it actually a few months ago when we actually became official and did all the filings. But this has been ongoing for well over seven years. You know, there's a crisis that's growing that nobody wants to talk about, and that's the abuse and the neglect that's going on with our seniors, our elder that are in these long term care facilities and right you know, my parents are eighty seven years old and I'm facing it every day. And it's like when you look and see what's out there, from dehydration to UTIs two skin breakdowns. It's something that is ugly that nobody wants to talk about. And I really found there was no technology around it. So HEART actually stands for Healthcare Evolution, Alert Response Technology because at the end of the day, it's all about quality, right, Like, what is out there? If you have a loved one in a nursing home, how do you, as a daughter know that there's not being taken care of. There's nothing that's out there that can hold them accountable. So I actually came to Roger, who's been in the healthcare industry forever, and I knew this all started when my mom fell and broke her hip, and at two am she called me because she was very continent, even though she had had the surgery, and she had been ringing the bell and ringing the bell and nobody came in.
Speaker 2: From a callite perspective, it was two am.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: So I drove thirty minutes to get to her and I walked in. I have video that would just be stunning that you just hear. It's like Christmas lights and music going off, and I'm walking hall to hall to hall. No one, no nurses, no a It's like no one. I'm like, what is going on?
Speaker 3: I can I ask you how long ago this occurred?
Speaker 2: A year ago?
Speaker 3: Okay, a year ago, a year ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was appalled.
Speaker 4: The next day, I walked into the administrator's office and I showed him the video and I said, really, what was.
Speaker 3: The response you got to that? JA mumble?
Speaker 1: I trayed a litigation attorney, so you know my litigation. My bells are ringing and my and my wheels are spinning, and I'm thinking this sounds actionable. I mean, this is this is at minimum negligence.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, immediately he was embarrassed, you know, and of course, oh, well, we're going to get you know, the don and all these people because she was in rehab. And I'm and at this point it was not just about my mom. I was like, what about all these other people that are sitting here as well, you know? And then and then his thing was, well, you know, we hire these agencies and people don't show up.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, well, but I walked around.
Speaker 4: I mean, the video is three to five minutes, no one at two am.
Speaker 2: I mean, where are they?
Speaker 1: I was just going to ask you this. I mean, That's why I asked where the timeframe was because my father passed away just last week or week before two years ago, and when he passed away, he was in in Alzheimer's dementia care facility. And you know, thank God for my mom. I mean, she you know, worked her self to the point where she was almost in worse shape than my father at home, until the point where she really wasn't capable of caring for him twenty four to seven, because you know, it's a twenty four to seven.
Speaker 2: Thing, twenty four to seven.
Speaker 1: So we got him into this facility. I'm not going to name, I'm not going to detract from them, but you know there were times when you walk through and you're scratching your head, You're going hmmm. And when you talk with the folks that work there, you really wonder the caliber and quality of the person. These didn't seem to be trained medical professionals. Like my expectation was the place to be filled with nurses, you know, you know, skilled nurses or just first books of a nursing degree or something like that. Now, these were you know, lower wage, sort of hourly employees, capable of maybe doing the cleanup work and doing the meal prep, but beyond that that was it. And Mom practically lived there next to them making sure that he was well taken care of, because quite often you felt like he wasn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this isn't. This is a crisis that isn't going away.
Speaker 4: I mean, you look at the aging population, right and the biggest issues dehydration. UTIs so UTI's lead to say, right, yeah, you know, and it's just it. Why is it right? Why is it right that our loved ones are sitting in urine and feces for more than twenty four hours?
Speaker 2: Why? I mean, I know, it's well, it isn't.
Speaker 1: That's I guess the question is everybody's like, well, what's the answer to this?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: And this is why I guess you formed the Heartforce Seniors dot Org.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I called Roger, who's been in this industry forever. He had actually had created through with the help of the University of Louisville and some other things. The technology was there. The question was how do I get it down to where my mom is right? And more importantly, like how can we get this out to everyone? Because more R and D needs to be done and again it needs to be alert response technology. And so I was very fortunate, I mean, with his trade association background and just all the expertise that he's had in all of his various companies. I knew that we could come up with the technology.
Speaker 3: Well, Roger, what is.
Speaker 1: Your background and how is it you know you ended up in this position to help out so many people.
Speaker 5: Well, I began my career working in nursing homes as a speech pathologist. Actually I worked with swallowing disorders and patients who had trades or were events and things like that. Became a nursing home administrator, ultimately managed over thirty nursing homes in Ohio for about twenty five years. So I was able to, you know, in that job, really see where the weak spots were, where we struggled to really give the quality care I wanted. So that was extremely helpful for me to have gone through all that because today when I look at it, what I realized over time is ultimately we as a society, as a culture, we've failed our elderly people. Big Tech America has failed our elderly. Corporate America has failed our elderly people. We cannot rely on government regulations punishment to modify this behavior. To improve care. We have to in the private sector. We have to get innovative. We have to solve the problems and technology can do that. We've seen it here locally at Batavia a nursing Home. Batavia Nursing Home, they have done a wonderful job with some new technology. We're literally seeing on the patients who wear that technology zero UTIs, zero skin breakdown, very fast response times from the staff to deal with inc continance care issues, how hydration, things like that. The concepts are being proven and I'm just amazed and very very pleased with what I'm seeing.
Speaker 1: Okay, and since it is time for a break, you have set the stage wonderfully for me to ask the question how does this technology work? So we'll pause and we'll bring them back. It's Heart number four Seniors dot Org.
Speaker 3: Check them out.
Speaker 1: We're going to continue the conversation with Patty and Roger after a quick word here from my good buddies at Foreign Exchange. You fix cars for less money now, and you're not going to sacrifice anything by way of the quality the expertise of the mechanics. They are a se certified master technicians who will work on your car. You can actually talk to them too. I'm a guy, I'm a car guy, so I like talking to the mechanic that works on my car. Now you try that at a dealership and you're gonna be stuck with a sales manager. Now, those guys are busy in the background.
Speaker 3: Rover.
Speaker 1: Now they got time for you. You're a great customer and they want you back, and you're in this friendly environment. They treat their customers really wonderfully. Exchange been going there for years and years. I literally save and I love pointing this out. I save more than two hundred dollars when I have my oil change there over the dealer.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: Save don't get a German car if you don't want to deal with that headache. But you know, hey, that's what I got. So that's what the cost it is. So but I love saving that kind of money. And over the years, I know I've saved thousands of dollars with the Honda that we got to keep up and my wife's German car in mind, So whether your car is from a traditional European or Asian manufacturer, you're in the best hands. And let me point out, they're all trained on repairing and maintaining Tesla's now as well. So talk to Austin and the crew at the Westchester location of Foreign Exchange Tylersville exsit off seventy five, hang a right or go east rather two streets, then hang a right on Kingland Drive and you are slugging right at Foreign Exchange Westchester location. Look at them online, go to Foreign axform the letter acts dot com. Please tell them, Brian said him. And you give them a call to schedule your appointment where you will pay lots of less money to have the car repaired, and you leave with a full warranty on parts and service. It's five three sixty four four twenty six twenty six, five one three sixty four four twenty six twenty six.
Speaker 5: This is fifty five KRC and iHeartRadio Station, the new improvement.
Speaker 1: Here's a nine first one of weather forecasts. Got a cloudy the inner hands DAGG going up to forty degrees tonight overcasts with the possibility of a wintery mix thirty for the overnight low. They say, we may start out with that same wintery mix and it could change the snow thirty five for the hei Tomorrow overnight low a twenty five with clouds and a partly cloudy Saturday with a higher thirty four it is thirty four right now in time for traffic update.
Speaker 6: Chuck Ingram from the UC how Tramphics Center for Unmatched Cancer Care choose the University of Cincinnati Cancer Center, the only regional program offering proton therapy called five one three five eighty four beam inbound seventy four cruiser working with an accident left lane before you got the seventy five traffic starting to back up past Montana northbound seventy five, A few break lights, butttermill towards Kyle's in southbound two seventy five, and slow go between the Lawrence furg Ramp and the Carol Cropper due to the roadwork.
Speaker 2: Chat Ingram on fifty five KRSC the talk station.
Speaker 3: Fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Talking about the state of senior care and senior living facilities and it's not very good. Patty Scott relayed her own personal experience dealing with her mom and wandering around in the middle of the night, wondering where evernyone was to help her with her g broken hip, bells, ringing lights going off, knowing around to help out. Roger King has is now working with Patty and they have formed this five oh one to three ceed nonprofit. It's called Heart four Seniors, the number four Heart Number four Seniors. You can find the on line of heartfo Seniors dot org. And Rogers set the stage given his long history of dealing with these facilities and helping out folks living in them, dealing with the breathing issues as he started out with, and he's got a long career, so he was the right man to tap for the job. We're talking technology, and how do we address the senior laying in a bed having soiled themselves with no one around apparently to help them out. You were getting ready to explain this technology, Rogers, so let us learn from you.
Speaker 5: So the technology involves especially made adult brief. It's disposable, it's cost effective, and attached to that brief is a very small module which communicates Bluetooth the Wi Fi and talks to the staff on smartphones and alerts them when the person soiled. And then the software creates a record of when the event occurred, how long it took the staff to get there, and further than indicates which staff member responded for which resident, and then applies a reward system for that staff so they get extra bonus points and ultimately money for moving faster. Oh, that is awesome in the form of gift cards and things like that. So what we're seeing with that system the way it's employed is average response times of about an hour, which is far better than what we get using protocols. When you look at nursing home protocols, they're doomed to failure. They basically tell staff check on everybody every two hours. Like Epstein, you're supposed to check on people. Yeah, sure, Hony. In order to do that, the staff have to go into the room reposition that resident either peek or smell or touch. We're avoiding all that. We're not waking people up in the middle of the night to do that. Now, when you look at the numbers, it's interesting. I just looked at a facility that had about one hundred patients in it. Seventy of them were incontinent. When I do the mouth on that, I say, well, if you're going to check everybody every two hours, that's twelve times a day. That's over eight hundred times a day for fifteen nurse aides.
Speaker 3: That a'st going to happen. It's not ever going to happen.
Speaker 5: So the protocol itself is basically a falsehood. You know, everybody knows we can't get there. They're not going to get there. It's it's just a mirage. I think there are some really bad nursing homes where you may say you may see people get changed once a shift. Now when this happens, the outcomes, the potential outcomes, they are really bad. You're going to get skin break down, You're going to get incontinence related dermatitis. It may go deeper into the tissue. It may ultimately create a pressure ulcer which goes to the bone. You'll see urinary tract infections. You're getting into your getting into potential sepsis, and I see use stays and things like that. So this technology though, think about skin and urinary tract infections. Is an example, when you lay and you're a n feces for hours, especially the female page, since that he coalies going into the urinary track and we've got big problems.
Speaker 3: Oh God.
Speaker 5: What we saw recently in a study in this facility involving about three hundred people is that biolink system is what it's called, actually had zero skin breakdown, zero UTIs when compared to the rest of the population which had incidents over about a three or four month period of about fifteen sixteen percent for both of those issues.
Speaker 3: So it essentially.
Speaker 5: Took the problem areas out problem outcomes to zero.
Speaker 1: I see, the concept is so awesome, and it just blows my mind that nobody thought of this before, has rolled it out before, because this technology seems in modern times to be fairly simple. We've got smartphone, smart devices, we got sensors and gadgets literally everywhere. But I was immediately thinking that the response's time it was going to sort of be this threat of penalty if you didn't get there. So you know, we're keeping track of how long it takes, you know, and it's going to be a marker on your record if you let this person lay in there for a couple hours after you learm goes. But the idea that it has a reward system built into it it does is great. I don't know, man, And the record is there. You can show the patient's family, look how quickly we were able to deal with this and how often it happens, and it just is awesome.
Speaker 5: Well, interestingly, that same module monitors body temperature and it will also indicate if somebody hasn't urinated in a certain number of hours that they need fluids. So there's there's a lot that goes into it beyond just the incontinence. It monitors positioning, so if it looks like somebody is going to fall and they're in a bad positional, alert on that. There's also a risk wearable device that's going with it that monitors blood oxygen levels, It'll monitor heart rate for techocardia bradycardia. It'll alert phones to the staff on that as well as temperature device there. So you can imagine in some facilities somebody could have a fever for a long time before it's detected. We could have pneumonia developing or some other viral infection things like that. There's work being done on some dressings with chips embedded that would alert staff to when a wound dressing needs to be changed because it's saturated with exedate with blood. There's neglect there. It's basically the idea is use technology to identify potential needs, alert staff carrying smart devices to go check that resident and assess and deal with that need, and then document with the software how well everybody did an alert went out, did they respond and how fast. I tell you, Roger, that's mind blowing. That is so cool, and I can't imagine a facility not wanting to adopt that. And again, going back to my litigation mindset, I mean, this would avoid so many problems, so many potential lawsuits, would avoid so much heartbreak, It would avoid so much death and struggles and pain that goes along with all these conditions that manifest themselves because of neglect. Boom problem solved, Roger King, Patty Scott, it's again heart the Number four Seniors dot Org. Amazing stuff, wonderful developments technologically speaking, and a brilliant concept. I applaud both of you for this.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 1: I keep thinking of my dad and what a wonderful thing that would have been if had they had this technology. Where he was and he was in again, I'm saying he was in really pretty good hands, at least in so far these institutions are concerned.
Speaker 5: Real quick, go ahead, yeah right now, Just for everybody's information. This technology is in four nursing homes in Ohio. We're expanding to six more in January. Our goal is to get into fifty next year. We need funding, you know. That's the whole purpose of Heart for Seniors to get donations to help expand these concepts. And locally here it's Batavia Nursing and Convalescent Center and Salem Woods has the technology now and it's the staff's doing wonderfully with it, and we're really proud of what we're accomplishing there.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I assure you that Brian Thomas will be making a donation to hard for Seniors dot org today. Wow, as soon as I got enough time to fill out the form here, which shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes. But I God bless you for the work you're doing, and I'll make the donation of my excuse me having an allergy attack thinking of my dad, So thanks for what you're doing. Good evening in studio too, and we'll get to I guess we're going to take a break here and we'll be talking to the Disabled American Veterans Dan Clare, chief Communications Officer about the Disabled American Veterans Patriot boot Camp coming up. Stick around, folks, be right back after I mentioned affordable medical imaging where you can get you know, CT scans, MRIs and all that stuff for a very very low prices, save yourself thousands of dollars over the hospital imaging department where they will literally charge you thousands of dollars to get a CT scan. You get a separate bill for the board certified radiologists. Ye, how much a CT scan is without a contrast, it's four hundred and fifty bucks. At Affordable Imaging Services, you get a contrast at six hundred. You know, it's like ten percent of what you probably pay at the hospital. Just one illustration of the massive savings you can achieve. You have a choice when it comes to your medical care. It's really low overhead. I got a CT scan and affordable, and so don't expect all kinds of bells and whistles. But they got the same equipment the hospital has. Through what you're paying for is a bunch of bells and whistles, and of course you're helping the hospital pay for all that overhead that they have. Don't do it, call them up, schedule the appointment at five one three, seven, five three eight thousand, five one three seven, five three eight thousand.
Speaker 3: Learn more online.
Speaker 1: It's affordable Madimaging dot com fifty five KRC dive