Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the audio broadcast ministry of Pastor Rick Warren. Today we continue in a series called Better Together. In this series, Rick takes us through First Corinthians chapter thirteen and shows us how to cultivate deep, meaningful relationships with the people around us. In just a few moments, we're going to tell you how you can get a copy of Pastor Rick's book called God's Power to Change Your Life. In it, you'll discover how God provides the power you need to take you from where you are to where you want to be. Find out more by going to Pastorick dot com, or by texting the word Daily to eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four while you listen to today's message, that's Pastorick dot com or the word Daily to eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four. Right now, here's Pastor Rick Warren with the final part of a message called why we Need each Other.
Speaker 2: In a war, everybody has to take time on sentry duty while everybody else is sleeping. Somebody stays awake to make sure the enemy isn't crashing in now, since nine to eleven, we've all been a whole lot more vigilant for each other with terrorism and things like that. But did you know that you have an enemy far more destructive than terrorists. Oh yeah, you have a personal enemy. And he hates your guts and he wants to defeat you. His name is Satan, and Satan wants to mess up your life. Satan wants to bring problems in your life. Satan wants to ruin your relationships. He wants to hurt you as bad as he can. Now, why would he do that? Because he can't hurt God. See Satan, what he wants to do is he wants to hurt God, but he can't. When he can't hurt somebody, what do you do? You go after their children. If you couldn't get to me, you'd go after my wife or my kids. Satan can't hurt God, so what does he do? He tries to hurt God's children and he doesn't care what it'll take, how badly you get hurt. He wants to mess you up anyway, And the moment you wake up in the morning, he's already been plotting how to get you to waste that day, to blow it with anger or worry or fear or guilt or shame or depression, or any other resentment or bitterness. He'll just try to get you all messed up. I've been reading this nine to eleven report from the Commissions. Interesting reading, But as I read it, I thought, what are the parallels here between our battle, our spiritual battle against Satan. Now listen to this, Listen to this parallel. We learned about an enemy, this is what the committee reported, who is sophisticated, patient, disciplined, and lethal.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what the devil is.
Speaker 2: The enemy rallies broad support by reject seeing political grievance, but its hostility toward us and our values is limitless, and Satan's hatred of view is limitless. Its purpose is to rid the world of religious pluralism. It makes no distinction between military and civilian targets. Collateral damage is not in its lexicon. Satan doesn't care who gets hurt. He just wants to hurt. It says, we learned that we did not understand how grave this threat could be, and so we did not adjust our plans and practices to deter.
Speaker 3: Or defeat it. Well, if that hadn't describe.
Speaker 2: Most Christians, we don't realize the war we're in, and so we don't make any plans to handle temptation.
Speaker 3: It says.
Speaker 2: Now, the test before us now is to sustain the unity of purpose.
Speaker 3: I could have written this stuff, Okay.
Speaker 2: The test before us is to sustain the unity of purpose and meet the challenges now confronting us. We need to design a balanced strategy for the long haul to attack terrorists while at the same time protecting ourselves against future attack.
Speaker 3: Any about that.
Speaker 2: We not only have to protect ourselves, we have to go after them. And that's what it says in the Bible. The gates of Hell will not prevail against us. Gates are defensive, he says, you're going after the devil, not vice versa.
Speaker 3: Now, let me tell you something.
Speaker 2: So when Satan attacks you, he doesn't come in a little red costume with pointy things and a pitchfork and say, boot, how does Satan mess up your life through habits? You can't break the hurts that you won't let go of, and you hold on to resentment through hang ups, You can't change in your life, through problems, through circumstances, through.
Speaker 3: Relationships that break your heart and hurt you.
Speaker 2: And he uses He always works around through others, and most of the Christians are defeated. They live in defeat. Why because we try to fight him on our own, And that's stupid. You're never gonna win against the devil on your own. You need other people who will watch out for you and help you. Look at this next verse, please ask he's four twelve. A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back to back and conquer, and three or even better for a triple branded cort is not easily broken. That's a small group, he says. You know, you watch out for each other. Last year, about this time, I walked across a maximum security prison yard in northern California. Two thousand inmates in that field and in that yard, and I walked across it with no guard protecting me, no gun, no weapon, no body armor, but just myself. And I'm walking across and I was not afraid. Why Because I had a group of other inmates, about thirty of them who were Christians, in front of me, behind me, and on either side of me, And if anybody wanted to get at me, they were gonna have to get through these guys who have these tattoos.
Speaker 3: That said Mom and Jesus, you know.
Speaker 2: And there's no way I felt worried because these guys were there to protect me.
Speaker 3: Now here's my question.
Speaker 2: Is there anybody watching your backside, anybody who's watching out for your spiritual welfare?
Speaker 3: Do you have anybody close like that?
Speaker 2: Are you in a small group where that group of guys if you're a guy or women, if you're a woman, who are saying, you know what, we're there when you're going through the tough time. We're not going to let you discourage. We're not going to let you get depressed. We're not going to let you get worried because we're going to be here with you. If you don't have anybody that I pity you, you've got a big bullseye on your back for Satan. Say here's a loaner. They're not connected, they're not in a group.
Speaker 3: You know. I know this is hard to believe, but when I was a.
Speaker 2: Young, young I was a lifeguard for three summers. Actually they fired me because every time I see a hannicle, yes I see that hand, God.
Speaker 3: Bless you, Yes, God bless you. Is there another Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, many are raising their hands God bless you. Yeah, thank you I made that part up, but it was a lifeguard.
Speaker 3: And everybody knows. You never go.
Speaker 2: Swimming by yourself in the ocean. You might catch your ripties. You never go by yourself. Did you read about this kid? He is an experienced climber. He's climbing a mountain, slipped and fell, fell into a ravine and got his arm caught, and he couldn't get out, and he would have died there because he was by himself. He thought he knew enough to go it on his own. And the only way he broke free was he had to cut his own arm off.
Speaker 3: Or die.
Speaker 2: Even the pros need a buddy.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope Rip will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. If you've missed any part of today's teaching, you can listen online anytime at pastorick dot com. That's pastorick dot com.
Speaker 4: What does it take to become more loving, live more peacefully, develop patience, have self control? Pastor Rick says. Throughout all the years he's been a pastor, the number one question he's been asked is why can't I change? People want to change, but they're stuck. Maybe you feel that way too. In his book God's Power to Change Your Life, Rick lays the groundwork for personal transformation, then offers biblical insights and simple steps for ten areas of growth that can take you from where you are to where you want to be. This book connects you with the power to add actually make the changes you long to make. And as you apply the truth of God's word by the power of His Spirit, your life will change. You'll move out of your rid and get on track with God's wonderful purposes for your life. And today, when you give a gift to Daily Hope to help take the hope of Jesus to people everywhere, we'll send you a copy of God's Power to Change Your Life. Just go to Pastorrick dot com right now to get your copy, or you can call eight hundred at six hundred five zero zero four. That's Pastorick dot com. Or call eight hundred at six hundred five zero zero four and be sure to let us know which station you heard us on. Thank you so much for your support.
Speaker 1: Now let's get back to today's lesson. Here on Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, did you.
Speaker 2: Read about this kid is an experienced climber. He's climbing a mountain, slipped and fell, fell lean der ravine and got his arm caught, and he couldn't get out, and he would have died there because he was by himself. He thought he knew enough to go it on his own, and the only way he broke free was he had to cut his own arm off or die.
Speaker 3: Even the pros need a buddy.
Speaker 2: Would you write this down? Community is God's answer to defeat. Community is God's answer to defeat. The Bible says Ecclesiastes four to ten. If one person falls, another can reach out and help. But people who are alone when they fall are in real trouble. I need people to walk with me and work with me and watch out for me. Number four, I need others to wait with me and to weep with me, to wait and weep. I'm talking about they wait while I'm waiting for the bad news, and they weep when I get the bad news. I need people in me with the inevitable christ life. The tragedies hit, I don't want to face that alone now, as you're pastor, I especially feel this one because I see it on a daily basis. There are situations that nobody should ever have to go through alone. Nobody should ever have to wait in the hospital while a loved one is in a life or death surgery nobody. No woman should ever have to wait alone waiting for the lab report back on a problem pregnancy nobody. Nobody should have to wait for news from a battlefield alone. Nobody should have to stand at the edge of an open grave alone. Nobody should have to wait at home alone for the coroner to come and publicly identify the body of a loved one who just died.
Speaker 3: Nobody, nobody should.
Speaker 2: Have to spend the first night alone after their husband has died or wife has done And nobody should ever have to spend the first night alone when their wife is just walked out or the husband's walked out. Now, the fact is, some of these things are going to happen to you. They're inevitable. You're going to have loved ones die, you're gonna go through tragedy, you're gonna get bad health news, you're gonna find out one day that you were dying, and you need other people in your life. Now, only a fool would go all the way through life totally unprepared for something you know is inevitably going to happen. The time is now to build the safety net, the network of supportive friends. Get it in place now, because at some point the tragedy is going to happen.
Speaker 3: You don't know when. The time to prepare is now. Now.
Speaker 2: What is God's safety net? It is a group of other believers. You don't need one hundred, you only need five or six. But as a group of other believers who are committed, committed to you. The Bible says this in one Peter three eight. You should be like one big family, full of sympathy toward each other. Now, when you get in the hospital, you don't want the whole church to visit you. In fact, it be kind of bad if all of us came, But it would be nice to have four or five come see you and say we're praying for you. I'll never forget there was a guy who came to this church for seven years. You sit up in the bleachers, and he came for seven years, never got involved in anything, never joined a small group, just came to worship and left, never.
Speaker 3: Even met anybody in the church.
Speaker 2: I'm the only person he ever knew, never made any friends, in the family. One day he had a heart attack and he got in the hospital, and then he got an infection, and he was in for two weeks, and I was out traveling around speaking somewhere. I didn't even hear about it till I got back. And when he got out of the hospital, he came to the church and he said, I'm leaving the church. I said why. He said, because it's unfriendly. Nobody visited me in the hospital. I said, I'm sorry, and he left, and as he left, I thought, it's your fault. He never visited anybody in the hospital. He never cared about anybody but himself. He never got cared enough to even meet anybody. He never cared, never got in a group, never gave, never shared, And it was his fault when the crisis came that nobody was there for him. I've told you many times that I could not make it in life without my small group eight other people plus my wife and I.
Speaker 3: In our small group.
Speaker 2: This last year, we've gone through practically every kind of family or personal crisis you could imagine, and we've been there to wait for each other, and to wait with each other, and to weep with each other when we needed support. See Here's God's plan one Corinthians twelve. If one member suffers, all suffer together. You know, I read recently about a guy who died at home in his bed, and nobody.
Speaker 3: Discovered it for two years.
Speaker 2: I thought, how tragic that a guy was not even missed for two years. Can you imagine the despair in that man's heart as he was dying in bed. Nobody should ever die alone. Nobody should ever have to go through that kind of despair. Would you write this down? Community is God's answer to despair. Community is God's answer to despair. Romans twelve fifteen says be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep.
Speaker 3: We do that in the group.
Speaker 2: Somebody has a good thing, a promotion or celebration, a graduate, we party, We have a good time, we have fun. Somebody has a tough time, we weep with them. By the way, you know, a lot of times in groups, small groups, people don't know what how to deal with tears. You'll be in a small group together and someone starts crying. A little tear comes down the cheek. Let me give you a little tip. A tear is always a sign it's time to stop and pray.
Speaker 3: That's what you do.
Speaker 2: Whenever there is a tear, it's time to stop and pray. And so he said, well, let's just stop right now. Let's pray for Mary. She just got this news from her sister. So let's stop and pray for right now. Let's stop and pray for Bob right now. He has given twenty two years of his life to this corporation and they just laid him off with one week's notice, and he's pretty devastated.
Speaker 3: Let's let's pray for tom right now.
Speaker 2: That is the sign to do now. You don't have to fix anybody's problem. In a small group. They don't want you to fix it. They just want you to sympathize. When you're going through a crisis. You don't want advice. You just want somebody to be there. You just sit there with him, silent, hold her hand, put arm around the shoulder, cry with them, be there with them. In fact, usually it's when we start talking we get in trouble, we get the stupid advice and stuff like that. No, just be there, just be there, sit there with him, and sometimes you sit in silence. Fifth reason I need other people in my life.
Speaker 3: Is I need them. I need others to witness with me.
Speaker 2: And what I mean by that you have a life message that God wants you to share with the world. It's part of your mission. The Bible says, God puts you on earth to do a mission, and there is great power in group witness. God never meant for you to do your mission alone. God would never send a soldier out by himself. No, he says, we go out together, and it's very impressive. Now, what is the way you witness best to people who don't know the love of God? How do you witness best to them? I'll surprise you, God says. It's by loving others in the family of God. Look at what Jesus said John thirteen. Your love for one not for me, he says, not for God, not for Jesus. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are My disciples. What impresses the community the most when Christians believers love each other. You see, the one thing that proves to the world that you're in the family of God, that you've stepped across the line, that you're headed for Heaven, is that you love other people in the Family of God. And if you do not love other people in the family of God, you got every reason to doubt am I in it, because that's one of the things. When you're truly in God's family, you start loving others in God's family. And that's what impresses the community. See how they love. Two Timothy one, p. Seven says this. The Holy Spirit doesn't want you to be afraid of people, but to be wise and strong and to love them and to enjoy being with them. I'm going to add and invite them into your home. That's a bow our heads.
Speaker 3: Father.
Speaker 2: It is time for the church to be the church, and it's time for a revolution of love and fellowship and community.
Speaker 3: Please begin it in our hearts.
Speaker 2: With all my heart, Lord, I know that our churches will start fulfilling God's purposes together. And when that happens, we'll see a new reformation in the church and a new spiritual awakening in our country.
Speaker 3: And God, we need it now.
Speaker 2: You pray, say, Dear God, forgive me for the times I felt like I didn't need other people in my life. I want to be a part of what You're doing on earth through your family the church, and I want to experience real community I'm tired of superficial relationships. I want to learn to really love and be loved in a deeper way.
Speaker 3: I open up my life to you.
Speaker 2: Jesus, Christ, come into my life, accept me into your family in your name.
Speaker 3: Amen.
Speaker 2: Hi everybody, this is Rick and I hope you enjoyed today's broadcast. You know, if you just prayed that prayer for the very first time, or you just recommitted your life to Jesus again today, would you let me know about it. There's something real about sharing your commitment. So write me Rick at pastor Rick dot com and say, Rick, I prayed that prayer of commitment, I gave my life to Christ. And I'll send you some material that will help you on your journey with Jesus. And I'll also pray for you. God bless you.
Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. If you've missed any part of this message, or if you'd like to find out more about Pastor Rick Warren and this ministry, just visit Pastorrick dot com where you can listen online anytime. That's Pastor Rick with two Hours in the Middle dot com and be sure to sign up for Rick's free daily email devotional while you're there, Rick will be back to close out our time today. But first, what does it take to become more loving, live more peacefully, develop patients have self control? Pastor Rick says, throughout all the years he's been a pastor, the number one question he's been asked is why can't I change? People want to change, but there's stock and maybe you feel that way too. In his book God's Power to Change Your Life, Rick lays the groundwork for personal transformation, then offers biblical insights and simple steps for ten areas of growth that you can take from where you are to where you want to be. This book connects you with the power to actually make the changes you long to make. And as you apply the truth of God's word by the power of His Spirit, your life will change. You'll move out of your run and get on track with God's wonderful purposes for your life. And today, when you give a gift to daily Hope to help take the hope of Jesus to people everywhere, We'll send you Pastor Rick's book called God's Power to Change Your Life to say thanks. Just go to Pastorick dot com right now to get your copy, or you can call eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four. That's Pastorick dot com or eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four, and be sure to let us know which station you hurt us on. Thanks so much for your support. Here's Rick to tell you about an exciting new opportunity.
Speaker 2: Jesus told his disciples that they should live their lives according to five specific purposes. He said, You've got to love God with all your heart. That's worship. And love your neighbors yourself. That's ministry. That's called the Great Commandment. And then Jesus said, go make disciples evangelism, baptize them into the Family of God. That's fellowship, a sign of fellowship. And then he said, teach them obey everything I've taught you. That's discipleship. And we call that the Great Commission. We believe it daily hope that a great commitment to the Great Commandment and the Great Commission will produce a great Christian, a great church, a great company, a great community. You know, I started daily hope so I could spread the good news about Jesus, not just across America, but all around the world. And we want people to know that God's Word is filled with hope and truth and the power that we need to follow him every day is available to every single one. You know as well as I do, that the Word of God changes lives. It's a live it's active, and it breathes new life and new love into all of our lives. So, wherever you listen to this, whether you listen on the website, whether you listen on a radio station, or whether you listen to a podcast, part of the Daily Hope family, and I need your help. We could not do this without your support. Now, you know, I don't take any funds from this broadcast. We don't have any giant million dollar donor who's giving big gifts to this. It comes from daily donations from listeners like you. We're one hundred percent listener funded. Would you continue to pray for this broadcast and would you continue to support us.
Speaker 3: And let write to me, let me hear from you.
Speaker 2: I absolutely love reading the stories that are sent to me, So write me, pray for me and support this ministry, and God will bless it, and God will bless you, and we'll get to heaven and we'll thank God for all the people going to be in heaven because you cared.
Speaker 1: Be sure to join us again next time as we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Daily Hope Ministries and your generous financial support.