Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Advocacy groups are preparing to file their first lawsuit the challenges President Trump's executive order revising policy on transgender troops could set a ban in the armed forces. It's the same legal team that spent years during the first administration for Trump fighting his ban on transgender troops before Joe Biden came in and scrapped it when he took when he took office. Serbia's Prime when's last day? We went to Belgrade, Serbia. We haven't been there for a while. Prime Minister mich has resigned. In an attempt to call on the political tensions. What's nothing wrong with that. We asked you a little earlier how you used Chat, GPT or any other AI tool on a regular basis.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, this is bad, But I'm a horrible person. I use AI to write my anniversary cards, birthday cards, you know, you know, anything like that, anything like that that requires thought, That's what I use.
Speaker 1: He's AI for. So I'm an awful person as well. Because so my husband's great at getting cards birthday, Christmas, things like that, and we've been together quite some time. What year is it. It's twenty twenty four, twenty twenty five, will be twenty five?
Speaker 4: This right years?
Speaker 1: Why am I asked?
Speaker 3: Year?
Speaker 1: You've got a head start with the cognitive decline game, Well you do about an eight year let's start. Oh sorry, hurt people, hurt people. I've got a big birthday coming up. No kidding, anyways, months away. I'm already persevering. No, but we've been together for oh nineteen years this fall. Anyway, the cards are have become had taken on a Every card is written the same, like the same, the same general like seven sentences, okay, the same, which is lovely, but he lovely lovely and they're lovely. But I did mention if I know, I know, I'm a horrible person. I just started laughing at one Christmas because I was like, this is so funny. It's the same all, Isn't that awful? I'm an awful person. I wanted to make this guy feel better about using AI, but so now I feel awful because ever since then, he comes up with new things, you know, to write to switch it up, so it's not the same.
Speaker 2: Card with that part of it, but the idea that you would notice I don't know.
Speaker 1: That seems it was the same sentiment for at least twelve to thirteen years.
Speaker 2: Does he buy a card that's blank and right it in or does he buy a card that has Hallmark stuff on it and then finish.
Speaker 1: It with Hallmark stuff? It's minimal, it's he usually he writes his own, which is lovely. That's my mom is not that person. She doesn't have a way with words. She'll tell you, so what she'll do is she'll send an She'll send a card that Hallmark wrote the whole thing, and then she'll just underline words.
Speaker 4: My mother in law does the exact same thing.
Speaker 2: Really funny, I one time bought I like to buy blank cards if I can find them, but they have to have a nice I have to have a good design on them. My wife, I don't remember what was the occasion, it was our anniversary of Valentine's say, something like that. Two years consecut I bought the exact same cards that I've done that too, and uh and she posted him up on the bulletin board just as her.
Speaker 4: So she a dumb ass. Don't go No.
Speaker 1: Three peats, so her and I have done that.
Speaker 2: The Eaten fire, of course it burnt throughout Tadena, might have been caused by insert name.
Speaker 1: Of cause of fire here we do not know.
Speaker 2: There are law firms that are already suing so Cal Edison, suggesting that it was an Edison power line that in those very high winds of January seventh, started sparking, arking and cause of started the fire in the first place. Compare that to twenty seventeen the Creek fire explodes up in the Angelus National Forest.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 2: Seven years later, the federal government has concluded that the fire in fact was caused by so Cal Edison and their power lines. Federal government final lawsuit saying that they not only caused the fire, but withheld information about the cause of the fire that would have led to them figuring it out earlier, and the government wants forty million dollars in damages. Now, one of the things that happened was five weeks after that fire started up in Fresno Madera Counties. They said it was caused by transmission lines operated by LEDWP, but investigation was complicated by the fact that LADWP said the fire started six minutes before they had any faults show up on their power lines. The report was released publicly in twenty twenty. Insurance companies and fire victims sued LADWP and asked Edison for their information about the fire in that distribution line known as the Lopez Circuit. They didn't hear back right away, and again they're asking Edison for fire information. This was a devastating, like three hundred and fifty thousand acre fire and in December, this is just last month, one day before the statute of limitations expired. Edison handed over their information on the electrical fault that on that line.
Speaker 1: I don't mean to draw connection to what turned out to be murderous fascination fixation, But the beefs with the healthcare industry rivaled by the beefs with the socalitisens of the world. Yeah, PG in terms of PGEN, in terms of the lying and the denying and the taking away of coverage, all of that all very similar in terms of the frustration level and the people that it affects, and the dirty, dirty tricks they all engage in.
Speaker 2: Think listen, think of the campfire up in Paradise. It was a PGEN line almost one hundred year old line that started that fire, and they're on the hook for billions and billions of dollars is PG and E. The rebuilt, the lives that were overturned, the lives that were law not just the eighty five people I think was the number that were killed in the fire, but the thousands of families that were affected by that. I mean that entire area. Yes, they talk about rebuilding, and they do have some of the homes that are rebuilt, and they're, you know, putting infrastructure back into that place.
Speaker 1: But that tire.
Speaker 2: This is echoed, you know, by orders of magnitude greater in Palisades and Alta.
Speaker 4: Dina because of what happened.
Speaker 1: It's just it's hard to wrap your head around. Falker is known for his wisdom, for giving words of encouragement. He's like Yoda, but in a different movie. And I have a question about Obi Wan. Do we have time for that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Serious? So he helps. I'm not trying to be cute, I'm trying to be or a brat. I'm trying to be serious. He helps Luke. So this is where it comes from. This is where it came from. I'm reading a book right now and there's a guy in the book who calls out the girl in the book. He goes, you're probably someone who would have chosen Luke Skywalker over Hans Solo. And so I asked my husband about this this morning. I go, which one would you have picked? He's like, everyone would pick Han Solo? And I'm like, because the other guy is just like a kid. He's like, hey, he's like a kid. He's got the force, but he's learning how to use it. I was like, right, right, he has a whiney little bee okay party. And I was like, so they're all helping him, like Yoda. And he's like, well, obi Wan is like the teacher. And I was like, okay, well what's his backstory? And he's like, I don't know what his backstory is. Doesn't he have a back He's got to have a backstory, right, the guy with the beard.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to answer any of these questions.
Speaker 2: I'm asking all available in open source pop.
Speaker 1: I'm asking a friend, no, no.
Speaker 4: Watch the movies.
Speaker 1: Is there one about the backstory for obi Wan?
Speaker 2: Basically the yes, basically the whole. Ewan McGregor plays the younger obi Wan kenobi.
Speaker 1: Oh Okay, Okay, in a later movie. Well it's technically episodes one, but it's a beginning. It's a later movie, but it was a prequel to correct got it? Yeah, okay, so he does have a backstory.
Speaker 4: Of course, Okay, I got a backstory.
Speaker 1: Got it. I just didn't know if that was something they haven't done yet, Like, is there an origin story they haven't done yet.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they could find some secondary characters that need an origin story. Okay, but no, they've they've pretty much filled it. They've exhausted all of that. Yeah, all right, See, I was a legit question. Yep, you didn't answer it, but you said there's like twelve Star Wars movies now and you've watched none of them.
Speaker 1: I just wanted a synopsis of the Obi Wan backstory, Like how did he become so wise?
Speaker 4: I asked Ai, She'd ask chat GPT.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll ask right, I'll do it right now.
Speaker 4: You have a show to do.
Speaker 1: Well, you've started it started, or asked the question. He was born on the planet Steujon in fifty seven bbhy is that before Yoda?
Speaker 4: No idea?
Speaker 1: It was taken from his family at a young age to train as a Jedi at the Jedi Temple on Corsicant Interesting. He had a brother named Owen. He has vague memories of playing with Owen, but concluded that these were visions from the force. Ah. So the Force wants him not to know the full truth. Maybe Obi Wan was identified as forced sensitive aha, and he was trained under Master Yoda. He became a Jedi Knight at age twenty five. This is stuff that I was curious about.
Speaker 4: Something to me?
Speaker 1: What did he say? It was something about you? Was it cognitive decline? You know, Jacob's going to be thirty almost just spit out. What was it it? Jacob say it?
Speaker 4: I gotta go break.
Speaker 1: No, we don't have to go to break. We're not going to break till you tell me.
Speaker 4: That's twenty seven.
Speaker 1: It's twenty six, forty three gen rode In. Gary's daughter is wearing a kill a Mal shirt, his son works at a job that's perfect for disposing of bodies, and his dog is shredding bibles. The tides are turning in the Hoffman household, and I'm here for it exactly. I can't wait till Super Bowl. I'm gonna fit right in.
Speaker 2: When we come back. Do you know what project pan is. No how often you buy new makeup?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Pretty, it's a continuous effort.
Speaker 4: That's a kind of plays into that.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that when people pledge to buy less and sometimes by nothing.
Speaker 1: You don't look all this old without a bunch of makeup. Huh, I thing, Okay, you didn't have to say anything. You can just go to Deborah. I went to this new dance class last night. Oh, I get it, and you never know what you're going to get, Like it's adult class, but this was like twenty two year.
Speaker 4: Olds adult dancing.
Speaker 1: Huh okay, I see what you're doing.
Speaker 4: You'll do it all right?
Speaker 1: Good And let's just say I was ready for a wheelchair at the end of that, oh man.
Speaker 2: The first official White House Press briefing is taking place in President Trump's second term. Caroline Levitt the twenty seven year old Press secretary.
Speaker 1: She's twenty seven seven.
Speaker 2: Good for her, by good for her, the youngest, I believe, the youngest in history.
Speaker 1: See Jacob, she's out there, twenty seven. Oh, he's not even in it.
Speaker 2: She's I mean, this is going about is what you would expect. There's there's still some contention between She's strong though.
Speaker 1: I was listening to her talk. She is trying to set the tone there in that room, and I don't know if she'll be able to keep it, but good on her to have that kind of balls balls at twenty seven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a big deal.
Speaker 2: And the thing about White House press secretaries, they very rarely last an entire term. Seasoned, she's very well, what did she do before? I have no idea at twenty seven? She did nothing before this, That's not true. Where she got to school, I don't know, but I know she was a part of the original the original Trump term, first term, I should say, and then was very active in the campaign. So she's been she's been battle tested and again holding her first press briefing in the second term.
Speaker 1: All right, buying less product is called no Buy twenty twenty five Project PAN.
Speaker 4: Now, this is an example.
Speaker 2: There's a bunch of people out there who are realizing they're overspending.
Speaker 4: They want to get down the debt.
Speaker 2: That they have on their credit cards or whatever, and they're kind of finding new creative ways to do this. This is not a new system of saving money. In fact, we've talked with Dave Ramsey, a couple of times. The I guess personal finance guru Dave Ramsey, and one of the things that he espouses is getting control of your spending. First of all, you have to know what you're spending your money on and where all of it is going.
Speaker 4: And these days, with.
Speaker 2: Subscriptions for streaming services or subscriptions for I don't know, the book of the month, whatever it is that you subscribe to, you kind of forget.
Speaker 4: Some of those things.
Speaker 1: And this whole.
Speaker 2: By less or buy nothing is a way for people to at least take stock on what it is that they're doing. Project Pan is an example of that, mostly for women, because I'm going to generalize and say women wear more makeup than men. It's a trend that spurs people to finish all their skincare, makeup or body care products before they buy a replacement.
Speaker 1: Get all the way through your moose.
Speaker 2: Or your hair spray, or your foundation or your whatever other people before.
Speaker 1: You buy a different one that you think is going to work better. I'm assuming because I do wait for the products that I use regularly. I do wait till it's done, till I buy more of that same product. But I have been known to say, be you know, fall into the trap of oh, that looks like it'll work, well, I'll get that even though I have something comparable.
Speaker 2: Alicia Berman is a thirty five year old works in the beauty industry in New York. Had a credit card and loan balance of almost forty nine thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: She said part of me anxiety.
Speaker 2: She said part of that was the pressure she felt to dress a certain way for work, and last year she decided to focus on owing that.
Speaker 1: I feel that all the time, pressure to address a certain way.
Speaker 2: You literally took your shoe off about an hour ago and stuck it up on the desk.
Speaker 4: I find that hard to believe. She says.
Speaker 2: She plans to do the same with skincare products. She has used up almost one hundred makeup products that she had purchased and received over the years, so her no buy list things that she will not be buying this year clothes, beauty products, perfume, jewelry, home decor.
Speaker 1: And books.
Speaker 2: Also has plans to cut down on takeout orders and to make it to her pilates classes to avoid cancelation fees.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that was a definse.
Speaker 1: There's no reason for that. Those costs so much you should. It's almost like they charge you that much so or you pay that much so you know you won't cancel.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 2: We talked about this before. We talk about it in mental health areas. Financial health areas are just like physical health areas. You have to be able to understand what's going in your body to change your diet in order to make it more healthy. You have to know where your money is going in order to change those habits so that you're financially more healthy than you were. Rebecca Souden lives in Corona, twenty seven year old. She wrote down rules her no by year include an eighty five dollars weekly budget for food eighty five bucks, which you think about hard, well, for one person, one person that's okay, yeah, for two people, or for card that's very hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She gives herself fifty dollars a week for discretionary spending. That's another plan that a lot of people don't stick to. Is you give yourself an allowance of forty bucks, sixty bucks whatever a week, and then whatever you don't spend.
Speaker 1: There's two tracks of thought.
Speaker 2: Whatever you don't spend, if I don't spend anything discretionary on myself. Over the course of a week, I got another fifty bucks I can compile for next week. So next week, I got one hundred bucks I can spend on myself if I choose to, and then so on and so forth. Other people, if you don't spend that fifty bucks, they'll throw that into whatever savings account that they have, or invest that fifty dollars because they think I was fine without spending it.
Speaker 1: Who's that person? Someone with someone with that person.
Speaker 4: Great mental restraint, I would say, well.
Speaker 1: There's another octopus out the life cycle of the common octopus.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Teddy Swims is also everywhere lately. Yes, he got a new album out.
Speaker 4: Do you hear?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've heard some of it.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's good. Good talk.
Speaker 1: Well we're here for another two plus hours. It's not like I cut the conversation short. Did have you heard the album? Do you enjoy it?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Good talk? Well what are we talking about now?
Speaker 2: You're different? You're mean when you stand up. Are you tired? Are you tired?
Speaker 1: I feel like you have something else going on. Is this about your dog eating the Bible? What's happening?
Speaker 4: You didn't he didn't eat it. He just he just tore it up, and I don't know if that's better not.
Speaker 1: Maybe he's Jewish? Was it well testament?
Speaker 2: Are they gonna say he didn't he didn't touch the pentateuc aha.
Speaker 1: Aha.
Speaker 6: Sounds like you guys need some stuff to talk about. What about like Trump turning the water on in California? What's up with that? I mean, was it a fake drought? Did we have water all along they just needed to like turn it on? What's up? I need some explanation on all this water stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll explain it when we get to swamp Watch. But Trump did not turn on any water. He did not send the military into California to turn on the water. But that's what he wrote in his truth social post. And we'll explain what's going on with that.
Speaker 1: At the top of the hour.
Speaker 2: Starbucks is going to start installing panic buttons for staff because the coffee makers trying to crack down on customers who sit in their coffee shops and try to use the bathrooms without buying anything. Workers have been given new guidelines on how to kick out customers who stay in there for a prolonged amount of time, try to use up their lavatories or a fill up water bottles without making a purchase. The companies also training workers in conflict de escalation, panic buttons are going to be installed in a handful of stores in a trial, and how to best keep Starbucks Barista's secure and safe.
Speaker 1: Peta is pissed off now about Groundhog Day because of you know, the groundhog. They've suggested that punk satani Phil. Of course, the groundhog who predicts whether winter will go on for six more weeks or spring will arrive early, should be replaced with a weather reveal cake.
Speaker 2: It's got to be a vegan cake too, you know. They said it would mimic that of a sex reveal for a baby. Once cut, the weather reveal cake would show one of two colors, blue which means six more weeks of winter, or pink, indicating the early spring.
Speaker 1: That's awful, are we not Americans who use an actual groundhog for Groundhog Day. It's not called cake Day, it's not called fun fetti day. No, It's called groundhog Day. Why because if you really were Peta, you would know the magnificence of the groundhog. If you really cared about animals, you would celebrate their gifts, their special talents. You would know the history of groundhog Day, you would know what it means to this country and the people.
Speaker 5: It says right there in the Declaration of the Constitution, it says, let Americans have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the heavens, and over the livestock, and over all the earth and every other creeping thing that creeps on the earth, including the ground.
Speaker 1: Was that excerpt of our countries founding document that led to the first Groundhog Day celebration where in punk Satani, Pennsylvania, February second, eighteen eighty seven, it was created by who oh, a man named climber Pete. I bet you didn't know that. How about drenching yourself in this great country's history and learning about climber Free, a newspaper editor and member of the punk Satani Groundhog Club. How about that? How about knowing about why a groundhog makes a key groundhog meteorologist? You know in Europe, in ancient Europe, badgers or sacred bears were used to predict the winter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know what, we don't need an America.
Speaker 1: Badgers are sacred bears.
Speaker 4: We don't need no stinking badgers.
Speaker 1: No, we need the groundhog. Furthermore, it's not just against America, it's against God because the tradition of groundhog Day comes from the medieval Catholic holiday of Candlemus candle Mus. You're gonna scoff your whatever you scoff, You're gonna thumb your nose at Candlemus.
Speaker 2: Umm, Peter President Ingrid Newkirk said, year after year, Phil is transported to Gobbler's Knob with disked on stage and subjected to a noisy announcer that sounds like us, screaming crowds and flashing lights, against all his natural instincts. Ingrid goes on to say, if approached in his natural habitat, Phil would run away in fear, not volunteer to live year round in captivity, unable to do anything that's natural and important to him, like hybrid eight or burrow, just to be a town's once a year fake meteorologist.
Speaker 1: Do you know what Candlenus commemorates.
Speaker 2: The burning of candles made from the juices of groundhogs.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It commemorates the presentation of Jesus at the temple by Joseph and Mary. It's a different that's a very different, very different. Maybe if you're dogged and eat your Bible, I would. We could have we could have gotten real work done.
Speaker 2: If you miss any part of our show, go back and listen to the podcast. Go to KFI AM six forty dot com slash Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 1: If you miss any part of this show, good yeah, good for you. Probably safer that way.
Speaker 2: You can also share the podcast when you find it, either there or on the iHeart app, or anywhere else you find your podcast. You can always share it with your friends and make that if you hate them too, you hate your friends, Shannon. We'll continue right after this. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app