Speaker 1: Hey guys, it is Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can. I like to work, but I like fun too. It's a thing. And now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at chumbacasino dot com. No, we're not necessarily dapoi where everybody lost et terms Conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 2: With the Lucky land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 3: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, so I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 2: Play for free at Lucky landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void We're prohibited by law eighteen plus terms and conditions apply see website Ford.
Speaker 1: Lottadian.
Speaker 4: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them, Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zupanski, an anthology of haunting murders written by acclaimed true crime writer Michael Benson and his boots on the ground private investigator Donald A.
Speaker 5: Tubman. Featured stories include the murders of Joanne Lynn, Pamela Moss, Sherry Smoyer and Jack King, Tammy Joe Alexander, Damitia Gibson, Victoria Jobson, Kelly Gaffield, Kathleen Krausnick, The Brighton Axe Murder, Brittany Drexel, Rejana May Armstrong, Loretta Joe Gates, and Terry Lynn Bills, plus many more, including updates on Rochester, New York's Double Initial murders and the Genesee Junction murders of Georgia and Formacola and Kathy Bernhardt. The book that we're featuring this evening, is Hunting Homicides with my special guest journalists and author Michael Benson. Welcome back to the program, and it's really good to have you back. Michael Benson.
Speaker 6: Thanks, Darren's pleasure to be here.
Speaker 5: It's always a pleasure. Your books are incredible, and you've been here right from the beginning, right back ten years ago. So let's let's get to again. It's worth repeating. We've spoken about this before when we talked about the Genesee Junction Devil at Genesee juhncs and tell us about what event, what event in your life was instrumental in your decision to become an author and now a best selling acclaim true crime author.
Speaker 6: All right, I was. I never volunteered to become a true crime writer. I was drafted. When I was nine years old. My babysitter and her friend from down the road, girls I knew went to school with, went swimming in a swimming hole behind my house and never came back. And a month later they were found horribly mutilated a mile to the west near some railroad tracks are a Lover's Lane. Happened on graduation night, June twenty fifth, nineteen sixty six, and that's the story that's in the Devil of Genessee Junction. And at that time I teamed up with private investigator Donald A. Tubman my boots on the ground, and we got some PaperWorks signed by the mom of one of the one of the victims and were made the family investigators got us an inn with law enforcement, and we had access to files we ordinarily wouldn't have found. And we did a great deal too, I think answer some of those questions now, Alis Bernhardt, the mom has since passed away, but I'd like to think that we gave her a little bit of closure. Makes me feel pretty good because you know, we gave her a name instead of a question mark.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, let's get to that case a little bit later in the episode. Sure, let's start off with juan Na Lynn. Yes, this is Septemps and she's in sixth grade, and tell us a little bit about Joanne in Na Lynn and her school this day.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the first case in the book, Haunting Homicides is the oldest one. It happened Monday, September nineteenth, nineteen forty nine. Victim was Joanne Lynn, an eleven year old from Hemlock, New York. That's near Hemlock Lake, one of the Finger Lakes, and her school bus had mechanical problems, so for the first few weeks of school, the kids would normally take the bus were forced to walk down the busy highway to school. She was abducted, police believed by a perverted motorist who lured her or dragged her into his car, and she was found shot with a nine millimeter gun and left dead beneath the thorn apple trees a few miles up the road. Now, she usually walked to school with her brothers and sisters and friends, but on this day she was alone. On this day, she took a brief detour southward, stopping at her friend Sue Carpenter's house, only to learned that Sue had already left, and by that time her brothers and their friends who usually walked with her, were already well up the road, so that left Joeyan alone for the walk to school. She was, by all accounts, in a great mood that morning. She had things to look forward to. The Hemlock Fair was that weekend, and she's been saving money out of her lunch money to ride all the rides that weekend, and that leads to one of our favorite suspects who was ferris wheel operator William Henry Redmond, a man who moved from town to town with the carnivals and fairs and who had twice during the nineteen thirties been arrested, convicted, and jailed for attacking girls when he was still a teenager. Then on April twenty sixth, nineteen fifty one, this couple of years after join Lynd's murder, Redmond took his attacks to the next level and murdered a little girl who wanted a free ride on his ferris wheel. Now she was found in a truck on the grounds of the penn Premiere Show, Carnival and Trainer Pennsylvania to eight years old Jane Marie Elfoff found lying on her back across the seat of a tractor trailer with her feet towards the driver's door. So Joanne Lynn in Hemlock was a little girl who couldn't wait to ride the ferris wheel. So the connection was made eventually between these two. That was major disappointment when it turned out that Redmond was not a DNA match with the semen that was found on Joan Lynn's slip. Now, Interestingly, even since the book has come out just a few weeks ago. Don Tubman and I have made progress on this case. It's fifty with a seventy year old case. Party's were doing the math in my head, but we put a couple of pieces of information together and I think came up with the lead that maybe no one's looked at before. Involves the bloodhounds that they used during the days when joe Anne was still missing, before her body had been found, and the bloodhounds stopped at a house farmhouse called Green Acres. It had formerly been a home for tourists spend the summer at the lake. The bloodhounds got to the house, stopped and then went behind the house, milled around behind the house a little bit, and then returned to the road. And police thought that was the end of the trail and this was the spot where the motorists had picked up the little girl. But if that was the case, why did the dogs take a right and go behind the house. What were they doing milling around behind the house, and why did they return to the road again before they stopped completely. And it occurred to us that joe Anne had gone behind that house for reasons on known so a don spent some time in a basement going through boxes of old police records and found a letter that had been written to the Rochester Police Chief in nineteen fifty saying that she had a friend and coworker who had a sixteen year old son who lived in the house Green Acres and was living with a couple a sixty year old sixty two year old man and his sister. Now why this little pseudo family is living together in Hemlock, we don't know. But the letter goes on to say that the sixty two year old man had been kicked out of his house by his wife for trying to fool around with her little step daughter. Right, so we have a pedophile and a sixteen year old boy living together in the house where Joanne Lyn sent a the bloodhounds stop. So that's pretty interesting. Now. The key now is to find these people, and it's because they were separated from their families. It's proving to be a little bit difficult. But if we can find out where their remains are, and we're assuming they've passed away, although the teenager would be eighty six now, very possibly still alive. But if this is a DNA case, there was seeming found on the slip of the victim, and if we could get a match that we could solve the case, which it was just pretty exciting for something that's seventy years old.
Speaker 5: Absolutely throughout this book, it's you pepper this book with whenever you're doing a book signing for devil Agendese Junction, whenever you're getting responses from that almost immediately online, and you make new contacts and again lead to new leads that you can provide to police, things that no one else had thought of, or people that were afraid to contact police or hesitant to contact police. That's this book is entirely full of those kinds of antidotes. What about the connection between Aldoff and Lynn's DNA, You write part of the mystery of this was there a match for that?
Speaker 6: Now there was no match. Redmond, the ferris wheel operator did not deposit his seamen on the body of Joan Lynn. That would have been a really nice way to sum up that case. But yeah, you're absolutely right. Well, before I talk about how I acquire new leads, kudos to the law enforcement in Livingston County, New York with this Joan Lynn case, because it is seventy years old, and they kept that semen sample for seventy years. When DNA technology came in, they had no problem again a profile off of it, and the case is solvable because of that. I mean, it's a long distance from what we got from Monroe County before the nineteen sixty six case, in which they complained that everything had degraded, and then eventually when we really got interested in it, they said they lost it. So Livingston County, whoever bagged that evidence, was way ahead of their time. A crime scene investigator from the future. But yeah, it's sad a lot because I do get a lot of phone calls and messages from people who have been abused and because their husband, their ex husband, or their father or whoever it was, was a monster, they're convinced that they must be the killer of this person or that person. One case, we found a he a woman who said that her father had abused her as as a child, and when double Jessey junction came out, he didn't want to talk about it, left the room in a hop at one point when somebody asked him a question about that, Hey, didn't you used to live in that neighborhood And subsequently this man, uh moved down to Florida where a little girl was murdered and the composite drawing of the suspect was a dead ringer for him. So I mean, and that's that's the way we get. We've been pulled into these cases in a lot, in a lot of instances, uh, where we were interviewing people for either Double Jessey Junction or Nightmare in Rochester, the double initial murders, and people said, well, you know, while you're looking at that, you should look at this one as well. I think if you go through the names that you read at the beginning of the show, you'll find a disproportionate number of them are women with the same first and last initial. And that's not to say that those cases are connected in any way, but those were the cases that were referred to us because if you look for double initial cases, here's one, and that's how we started. I'm sure Smoyer and Jack King and thegi in the book are really they're mostly female. There are a couple of males thrown in one because he was, you know, with a female apparently somebody was mad at But I think females make the most haunting victims. In true crime. The oldest case was the Joan In case from nineteen forty nine, but the most recent was twenty fifteen. They thought, the thing they have in common really is that they get under your skin. And these are cases that you'll be thinking about long after you're done reading what I wrote about them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you write very very eloquently about that. Cops know how it feels the heaviness of their cases on their souls, how these atrocities chip away at their notions of a civilization. The victims' families know buried in their necks in a nightmare that won't end. They understand the discomforing power of haunting homicides. It's so very appropriate name. Let's talk about Pamela Moss at fourteen from Penfield, New York, and she was in the ninth grade in nineteen sixty two. She was planned to go to the mall. And this is a good kid, active in Girl Scouts and volunteering. Tell us what happens on that day with plans to go to the mall Palas.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Pamela came home that day and had plans to go to the mall with her girlfriend who had to pick up a new pair of glasses, and when she got home, she called her girlfriend and girlfriend said, my glass isn't ready yet. My mom says I can't go. So Pamela, without telling anyone, decides she was going to go to the mall by herself. And she lived at the end of a dead end street in a recently built suburban housing area, and the way it was set up to follow the main roads to the mall was a mile further than if you just took the shortcut through the woods right, So she needed to get back in time for a babysitting job that she had that evening, so she decided to go through the woods, and her partially clad body was found in a water filled gravel pit two miles from the Moss home. Her head was in eighteen inches of muddy water and her feet were on the shoreline. Partially Covering the body was a water logged four foot wooden ladder that looked like it had been in the water for some time. Body wore a bron a pullover blouse. The underwear and shorts were found one hundred feet away on the side of a steep hill. Now, unlike many of the cases in this book, this one was solved. The hunt for Pamela Moss's killer developed into the largest manhunt in Monroe County history up until that time.
Speaker 3: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 7: Lucky?
Speaker 2: In line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 1: Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 6: You do?
Speaker 1: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 6: Really?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Excuse me?
Speaker 1: What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 6: I never win in tell?
Speaker 4: Well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now? Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 3: No, We're just necessary foot were gonna be eighteen plus terms, conditions plus eyins.
Speaker 1: Hello, it is Ryan and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like city in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games that you can play for free, anytime, anywhere with daily bonuses. That's your bright new day lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 4: No necessary day.
Speaker 6: I lost the terms conditions eighteen plus. Unlike most of the murders that we deal with here, we have a name. We have a name to put with the with the horrible child molester and killer. He is James Robert Moore, and he was working as a landscaper next door to the Moss House. Moore's criminal record was enough to make your skin crawl. He'd been released from probation in June sixty two after a November nineteen sixty convention conviction in Erie County for molesting two young girls in Depew, That's a Buffer suburb. Moore was charged with third degree assault for the debut crime and given a sixty day suspended sentence.
Speaker 7: He was sent to.
Speaker 6: Meyer Memorial Hospital in Buffalo for observation, and his eventual probation terms required him to regularly see a psychiatrist, which he did after he moved from Cheektowaga to Webster, which is a town just east of Rochester. He arranged to see a psychiatrist at Strong Memorial Hospital. Rochester's number one hospital, and at that point he was allowed to take a job trimming hedges next door to the Mosses, where he could keep an eye on the comings and goings of Pamela, who was a pretty little girl. Now Moore is still alive. He is the senior resident of the New York State Penal System. He's now been behind bars for the killing of Pamela Moss for fifty six years.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 6: Now that was the last murder in Penfield. It's a very nice time until the two thousand and three murder of Tabitha Bryant by her husband and brother, a crime that became the subject of my first true crime book many years ago, called Betrayal and Blood. The Pamela Moss case was solved just in time for the Monroe County Sheriff's office new headline grabbing mystery, the murders of Shuri Smoyer and Jack King.
Speaker 5: Yes, what was the you include some of the things that how he confessed the police and what he told police very disturbing.
Speaker 6: What he aded to he stalked her, you know, he knew that she took the shortcut to go to the mall, even though the girls weren't supposed to, but they all did because it was such a time saver round trip. It would cut forty five minutes off of your walk. He jumped her in the middle of the woods. He raped her, he strangled her to death, and then he wrapped her up and put her in his pickup truck and drove her to the landfill where he dumped her body on the opposite side of the landfill from where men were usually working, which is why the body wasn't found more quickly.
Speaker 5: Right, you right too? That he has now's a parole hearing every two years, but he's been denied nineteen He was denied nineteen times. Last time was twenty eighteen.
Speaker 6: So well, the judge that sentenced him said that he was getting life in prison without the chance of parole in lieu of a death sentence. Right, so that even though the parole rules have changed since then, You know what, the new judge who's hearing the case always goes along with the original judge the discuss should never ever see the outside of a prison again for any reason. And he hasn't and I don't think.
Speaker 7: He will.
Speaker 5: Now, you say. Hours later, after this sentence was handed down, Jack King and Sherry Smoyer were killed. This is particularly interesting case because of your involvement and the contact that you had with King's niece. Tell us about Jack King and Sherry Smoyer.
Speaker 6: Sure, Jack King and Shree Smoyer were a young couple. On Saturday night, July thirteenth, nineteen sixty three, went to a drive in movie on a date to see the three plus hour film Mutiny in the Bounty with Marlon Branda. Because of the length of the movie, I'm sure he had to get a special curfew for that night. I think she got to be home by one am. But anyway, the kids never made it home and they were found shot to death the next morning on a really really hard to find Lover's Lane near Pittsford, New York. Now here's a fun fact, you know, fun with quotation marks around it. I grew up about a mile from that drive in, and I remember going with my mom and dad I was six to see Mutiny on the Bounty at the Starlight drive in. You know, I don't I don't know if the Bensons went the same night as Jack and Suie, but we might have. And the other interesting point about this case is that the cover of Haunting Homicides is based on the Marquis of the Starlight Drive In was adapted by my daughter as the title and byline for the book, which I think gives it a striking and different look. I don't know if any other book it quite looks like Haunting Homicides. It's kind of a spooky cover. By the way, we know that we know that Smoyer and king At actually went to the movies that night because there was a witness who saw Sherry at the concession stand at about nine to fifty pm. And the witness was a good one. She was a twenty year old Carol Beachy. She had been Smayer's former West High West High School classmate. She easily recognized Seri and vice versa. They waved at one another. Sherry seemed upbeat and there was no evidence of a problem. The movie ended at one five am, but for those who fell asleep there could have been confusion because immediately following the first showing, the first half of the movie was shown again for the benefit of latecomers, so the theater didn't go dark that morning until two forty am. No authorities would soon learn that there were two witnesses with a reason to recognize King's car, who he saw Smoyer and King at one fifty am speeding home from the drive in, already twenty minutes late for Smoyer's curfew will They never made it home. At seven am on Sunday, Smoyer's parents called the sheriff, and less than four hours later, a fisherman from Brighton discovered the bodies a mile and a half from Smoyer's home on a difficult access dirt road that led to the state owned hunting and fishing area off of Old Root ninety six, also known as the Pittsford Victor Road. The bodies were close together but oddly configured. They were lying on the ground near the front of King's car, positioned in the shape of a tee. She was clutching one of his trouser legs. He was lying on his left side. Neither his slacks nor his short sleeved sports shirt were in disarray. He was shoeless, but his loafers lay nearby. The girl was faced down wearing bermuda shorts, blouse and white sneakers. Her clothing was all so undisturbed no sex aspected and therefore no DNA. Police speculated that They'd been ordered to lie down before they were shot, and Smore apparently clutched King in fear just before they died. Or no powder burns on the bodies, suggesting that the shots were not fired from point blank range. Four shells from A forty five were found near the bodies and a fifth was found inside King's car, a quarter in a penny land on the dirt road, fifty dollars in King's pocket, milkshit containers found in King's car. Smore had a small amount of money in her purse, so robbery wasn't the motive. Jack King was not familiar with the area actual actually, neither of them were. Sherry's parents had only moved to their new house the year before, and she'd been away to college for most of that time. You know she knew if she knew about a lover's lane, would have been in Genesee Valley Park, which was near the high school that she went to. Throughout the suburbs. Now, neither of these kids know how to get to the place where their bodies are found, which I think a key point in figuring out who did it. To prove that he couldn't have found the lover's lane. He had a hastily sketched map in his pocket so that he could get to Shury's house right and so then the difference between the two victims was that Shari had been beaten in the back of the head, crushing her skull. The killer had a special anger for her, or for females in general. And yet there was no sign of sex in the crimea the clothes weren't even disheveled, And the timeline for the night of the murder turns out to be a real problem. The postmartar procedures determined that the teens were shot at about five in the morning, but sheriff's deputies had reported to the scene at three thirty am to investigate a report that two cars had been stuck in the sand about two hundred feet beyond the place where the shooting occurred. So at three thirty am, King and Smoyer aren't there. So where were they at three point thirty, already long past curfew? We don't know, And why and how they got to the lover's lane we don't know. Daily car there is Jack's father's car, and there's a scrape on the side of the car that wasn't there that morning.
Speaker 5: That interesting.
Speaker 6: One thing I know from experience, from first had experience, is when you went to the Rochester drive in and the movie ended, everybody tried to get out at the same time. There was one exit the right hand side you faced the screen out onto Brighton Henryetta Townline Road, and because they didn't want everybody emptying into the major intersection to the left, there was a guy standing there with a flare and he made everybody go to the left, and everybody tried to merge to get out this small exit and a lot of opportunities for fender benders. So it's possible that somebody scraped Jack's dad's car. Jack had a fit, and somehow the rest of the evening was revenge. Although I mean who knows. Profiles at the time said that there was a killer, that the killer was a religious zealot who was out to punish sinful teenagers for their lustful ways. This is I guess, under the assumption that the killer came upon them already on the lover's lane or preps kissing in the car at the movies. Well, it seemed a little bit wacky to me, But then a guy just liked that profile shows up. On April twenty fifth, nineteen sixty four, at about one o'clock in the afternoon, a thirty year old Rochester man named Vernon M. Hunter ran the Thruway toll booth in Victor at the New York State Thruway, entering the throughway without taking a ticket. The Throughway interchange at Victor called troopers and set a nineteen fifty six car it just passed without license plates, and the chase began on the Throughway. Suspect crossed the mall and returned back got on the route ninety six and at ninety miles an hour, with now twenty officers in pursuit. The chase lasted for close to an hour, and it finally came to an end when he drove across the lawn and cop cars boxed him in so once his car was uh oh. Then they rammed his car so that the fender was rubbing against his tire. With his car disabled, his adrenaline plummeted and he just sat there and awaited a rest. It was now two o'clock in the afternoon. Now when he was captured. It was near Panorama Plaza. It happens to be the same plaza that Pamela Moss was heading toward. He has an Army forty five loaded with six ball shells in his car, and that's taken away from him. In the high hopes that this will be a match for the Smaier King Ballistics, but it was not. The man was captured and explained that he'd been on his way to Auburn but didn't have toll money for the thruway, gave his address. He said he owned the car, but it was unregistered. He was a six foot Husky veteran, and police learned he'd been in the Army for two years, was stationed in Europe. It's honorably discharged. They took him to the Henrietta substation and charged him with carrying a loaded gun without a permit. And during his arraignment, Hunter seemed happy. He was smiling and joking, said he wanted to call his brother. Background check revealed that he had previous address for drunk driving and speeding tickets, but he'd never been charged with a felony. While authorities awaited word from Washington on his gun, he began acting weird in his jail cell. Now the newspaper reported that he poured water onto his mattress and put his shoes in the toilet. I'm guessing that's us. He urinated on his mattress and put his shoes in the toilet. And then they found that he had been a former resident of the Willard State Hospital, which was an ancient asylum for the chronic insane, and that he'd been diagnosed as a schizophrenic and discharge from that facility on February fifteenth, nineteen sixty two. As quote improved unquote, his behavior became increasingly erratic. He told cops he was the son of God, that teenagers under twenty five were bad and needed to be punished, So here he was. He was just what the profilers for the Smayer King murders were looking for, religious fanatic, well a grudge against young people. And it really looked very promising until the FBI ruined it and said the gun was no match. Now, my own profile, which developed in conjunction with Don Tubman and all the other smart people I've talked to over the years, is that our killer is a local. You have to be a local to find the crime scene. I mean, it's a dirt road, off a dirt road, down a slope by the next you had to have gone fishing there or parked there before to know where it was. So he's a local kid, and he's got a special grudge against Sherry Smoyer or women in general. Now, just like Hunter, just such a suspect is reported to me by a man we called Darryl. He said his brother, Edgar was the killer. Daryl said that Edgar had dated Sherry that summer and had run into her at the movies by accident. He became angry that she was with another guy and followed them afterwards, eventually forcing them to a location that he was very familiar with, and he killed them there. Now, my informant even said that he'd seen his brother throw the gun into the eerie canal and later admit to killing the couple. But there was a problem. Darryl, our informant was in their do well, a troubled guy with a sketchy passed mental issues, and his brother, the accused, had no record and was squeaky clean. So as a man of caine squealing on Abele and predictably police talk to. Both decided that it was a hoax of some sort and that was that. But you know, if Edgar isn't the guy by this investigation's way of thinking, it's someone just like him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you talk of a the did you talk to Lynn King about Darryl's yet That was the interesting conversation what she thought along this whole way, because it was a progression. You spoke to him, and progressively it was revealed that it can't have problems with the story.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well that's right. Lynn King is Jack King's niece, right, and the King family is a huge family, and she's, you know, a beautiful and talented and intelligent woman. She's a lawyer. And she asked Donn and I to help with the case, which was fine with us because you know, we already had a pret decent final on it to begin with, and again we became family investigators.
Speaker 7: So when I.
Speaker 6: Had developed Darryl uh to the point where I thought I had him telling a coherent story because he had problems, he couldn't finished sentences on the same subject he started them on, and everything was Everything came off as sketchy, but I couldn't ignore him as nuts because he hit all the key points on my profile. He he established why the gun wasn't found, He established a motive, He established how the crime scene came to be the crime scene. All these things were difficult to explain that he did it very simply, but in his own, you know, kind of scattered way. Now, he said that, you know, Dad was a misogynist. Dad abused Mom, His brother Edgar was a misogynist, had gone through several wives, and you know, and he had to admit that even he too had troubles with women, largely because Mom was addicted to prescription drugs and didn't defend the kids when Dad was on a rampage. And I think a lot of misogynists developed that feeling in this way. So it's the anger towards Mom that's been expanded to include all women in the world. So and I didn't give that piece of information enough weight when I decided that maybe Lynn King, victim's niece, you know, lawyer trained questioner, should talk to Darryl and see what happened. Well, it didn't go well. He didn't like being accused of things by a woman. Eventually said some really really ugly things about both Lynn King and the King family, which apparently he was making up, you know, out of whole cloth. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the King family or Glynn King. Then he started in on me. He done research into me, he found out that nobody likes me, and blah blah blah. Anyway, he was having a worse witness as time went along. I think by the time the police took over and talked to him and his brother, they found a very very strong case of sane and insane, and the sane one was the one who was being accused.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it was very very interesting though that this it. The sane part of them was certainly evident. In the beginning, it seemed to be very plausible. The story seemed like, you say, parts of it could be checked out and verified to a certain degree. And then at the end he really does sell sound bald face crazy, so which is pretty happy.
Speaker 6: And that has been a problem in most cases, when the witnesses deteriorate and lose their grip on the story they're telling, it's easy to just missed them because you really, well, they were just crazy all along, and the person are accusing as someone who's a personal enemy of theirs, but not necessarily a person involved in the crime we're investigating. But in this case, it wasn't so easy. That they did know the accused had proximity, had motive, and anyway, it's very frustrating that it's happened this way. We're still fascinating, we're still very hopeful and King Slayer, but we shall see what happens.
Speaker 5: Yes, let's talk about a case that made incredible national news, the case of Britney Drexel Bantages on a spring break. But of course we know the story that her mother was not aware that she was on spring break. It sounds like a familiar story. Tell us about two thousand and nine, a very attractive young girl on spring break, Britney Drexel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well again, I think I have a little bit more of a personal attachment to this than than the rest of the nation because the headline said Chilai, New York girl missing. And of course the last time that happened, I was nineteen sixty six, and that's the Devil at Genesee Junction. So it's my hometown. Yeah, she wasn't just a beautiful seventeen year old girl. She grew up about a mile from where I did. Yeah, she wanted to go away for spring break with her friends. Her mom understandably said no, and Brittany, instead of doing what mom said, told a lie, said I'm spending the night with friends here locally, and split for South Carolina. The fact that her mother did not know until she was already missing. So it's April twenty fifth, two thousand and nine. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina a great place to go for spring break, as long as you don't wander around at night in your shorts. Brittany was staying at the Bar Harbor Motel. She went to visit a friend at the Blue Water Resort on Saturday night, which was down the road, and she left to return to her own motel and was never seen again. Now, according to her Blue Water Resort friends, who were adult men, she was having an argument with one of the girls she traveled with. She borrowed the girl's shorts and the girl wanted them back, so that meant an unscheduled walk back to her hotel to change. Now, the last evidence of Brittany on the Earth is on a surveillance video that shows her leaving the Blue Water Resort on Ocean Boulevard eight fifteen pm, wearing a white top and the controversial black shorts. She left by herself and was never seen again. Now, her mom last spoke to her at noon on the day she disappeared. Down The mom still had no clue where her daughter was. Brittany said she just spent the morning just hanging out. Britney's on again, off again boyfriend, John Greco. He was one of the first to realize that something was wrong. They'd met on a blind date and had been going together for years off and on, and when when he called her, he always got a call back right away, but this time there was nothing, no response, and five hours without a callback. John called Britney's parents and told them he thought something had happened to Britney, and that was how Dawn Drexel found out that her daughter had gone south. Now, the day after Britney disappeared, her phone gave a single ping in Mclellanville, Georgetown County, South Carolina, and then went forever silent. So skip ahead to twenty sixteen. Seven years later, an FBI investigation on new and incredibly nightmarish information human traffickers snatched Brittany. A series of jailhouse snitches read it out. An inmate named Timothy DeShawn Taylor as the same guy who was arrested six years earlier for attempting to kidnap a Myrtle Beach woman. The story went to Taylor picked Brittany up in Myrtle Beach and drove her to Mcclellanville, where he showed her off and introduced her to his friends. He then quote tricked her out unquote, as human traffickers are prone to do. One of the informants said he saw Brittany being abused tortured for days in a smelly stash house. One of the informants was named to Kwan Brown, and he said he was at the stash house to meet Taylor, who told him he needed to borrow some money, and he saw Brittany there. She'd been beaten. She was sporting a black eye, and he watched as she made a run for it. The stash house was in the country and there was a back door that faced a dirt road, but she ran too slow. She was grabbed, dragged back, and pistol whipped now Sean. Taylor then took her in back of the house. Two shots were fired, and Brown did not see her after that. He said he assumed they wrapped her up and took her away. That's not the end of the story. Unfortunately, the FBI spoke to other informants who carried the story from there, saying that Britney's body was taken to a gator pit and fed to the alligators. So, you know, haunting, to say the least, the ultimate nightmare for a mother.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the story they told the mother. I mean, I couldn't I couldn't believe. There's so much of this, so many details were spared from some mothers. Again, one of the stories where she had to talk to you to find out details. Uh, I think Georgia.
Speaker 6: Uh, that's Kathy's mom, Alice, Sure, well.
Speaker 5: Kathy's momm Yeah.
Speaker 6: You know, I am all in favor of being truthful to moms. You are just not doing them any favor by sparing them details because their imaginations and their dread is so strong that, you know, please make them stop wondering what happened, Tell them what happened. Yeah. I don't know how others feel about that, but I just don't think that protecting the mom by keeping her in the dark is necessarily a good thing. Maybe if there's still a question as to what happened, you might want to save the mom from the grief. But once you know that that's what happened, tell her please, it's just torturing her by keeping it a secret.
Speaker 5: Well, I've seen in my own experienced people not informed about details how their loved one killed right thirty seven years later, So they didn't. They're finding out details now inadvertently, So I mean more horrible, I would believe. Let's talk about Kelly Gaffield. Sure, and August eighth, nineteen ninety five, She's supposed to be home by nine thirty. Again, this is a good kid here. Let's let's talk about what happens that night instead of coming home.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Kelly Kelly and Gaffield was sixteen years old. She lived in Webster, New York, again, town just east of Rochester. She told her mother that she loved her and will be home by nine thirty and never came back. Now, Webster's a working class suburban town. It's not ritzy like Brighton or Pittsford. And Kelly's mom, Christine Riley, called Webster police the following morning and said Kelly didn't come home last night and the search for Kelly at the homes of friends was fruitless, and she was presumed to have run away. During interviews, Christine was candid about her worries that Kelly was growing up too fast. She'd found letters in Kelly's room that were troubling. But here's the most haunting part. There were nine sightings of Kelly Gaffield in the Rochester area in August, September, and October of nineteen ninety five, reports that reinforced the notion that she was alive and well put off on her own you three young people who knew her told police that they'd run into Kelly on the street and had briefly spoken to her. The very first sighting came on August eighth, just minutes after she left her house. Her aunt saw her walking into the woods behind the Phillips Village off Krieger Road. That's the apartment complex where she lived. It was about seven to fifteen pm and it was a secluded area known as a teen hangout. And the last sighting in early October was by a male friend who said he ran into her in the parking lot of a top friendly supermarket on South Clinton Avenue in town of Brighton, and the young man said Kelly appeared agitated. So all of this is adding to this feeling that Kelly doesn't want to go home. Kelly's left home and she does not want to go home. But Kelly's mom knows Kelly is not a runaway. She never returned to pick up her belongings. She didn't even take her asthma medication. You know, her aunts and cousins said she was not a runaway candidate. She liked her family, she was willing to talk about her problems. Well. Kelly's missing person status changed at ten o'clock in the morning on October twenty second, three solid months after she's disappeared, when her decomposed body was discovered by a hunter in a wooded area east of Phillips Road near Ridge Road in Webster, fairly close to where her aunt saw her on the evening of her disappearance. Right, so not an easy to reach spot. There's no path to kind of have to hack you wate through the weeds to get there. And it almost seemed that the police were duped into believing Kelly was still alive, because you know, these woods would have been searched if their fall play had been suspected, but they weren't. You know, people keep running into Kelly now, every report of a Kelly sighting was followed up on with police interviews, and the family was now saying that the cops dropped the ball by treating the case as a runaway case. And police defended themselves. They said the sightings were so frequent that they had work on the theory that she was okay, but elsewhere there had never been any indications, for example, that she was being held against her will, and at age sixteen, she was being treated as an adult. Now, the frustrating thing in this case is that there's an unchanging list of suspects been common knowledge in Webster for many years, and I first heard about the case from an informant who gave me the names of the men on the list. And the story was that she'd been lured into the woods by a group of boys, that they had preps, given her alcohol and drugs, and were in the process of having sex with her when something went wrong, you know, made the stories she had an asthma attack and the boys, instead of getting her help, they abandoned her. The problem with that is she had a couple of broken ribs, so there's in the case if she had an asthma attack, it might because somebody was too rough with her. If she's tired to breathe when you have broken ribs sticking into your lungs. Now, none of the young men who aren't that young anymore have ever confessed to law enforcement, although two of them have committed suicide, which I think lends some credence to the validity of the list of names. I would urge, you know, any of those young men who might be listening to you know, tell Webster police. You know, at this point, I don't think you're gonna have to deal with a murder charge. It all happened when you were a kid. It was a bad incident that went from bad to worse. But I'm not sure that life wouldn't improve for these gentlemen if they fessed up, because obviously they have consciences.
Speaker 5: It's quite a plausible story, though, when you add that it was a relative of hers friends. They'd been used to sort of saying inappropriate things to her. Then they had this plan of getting her drunk and it worked, and then this. It seems a very plausible story compared to some unplausible stories given by accused in this book.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, oh, absolutely absolutely. I think that we kind of know what happened to Kelly Gaffield, but further to Diclosure, someone who's there is going to have to admit it to someone in a thought. So far, it's been discussed at a lot of parties and get togethers. And I know that there's one of the men on the list is ill and you know, may not have long to live, and very hopeful that you know, before you know, his life ends. He decides to set the record straight. And I guess they're they're they're protecting each other as much as they're protecting themselves, but it would be better for all of them if the truth was known.
Speaker 5: Tell us again how you got it you became involved in the George Anne form of Cola and Kathy Bernhardt, your former friends, How you came to write about their case.
Speaker 6: I always wanted to write about their case. I can remember writing about it in a little journal when I was twelve, which I kept, and some of that material ends up in the book, but forty some years later. But yeah, what happened was that Kathy's Kathy Bernhardt's mother, Alice, and my mom they both passed away. Since we're sitting in a backyard at a summer party and folding chairs, sipping beer, and my book Killer Twins had just come out, and my mom was bragging to Alice about her son, the crime writer, and Alice said, it's too bad that your Michael can't write a book about my Kathy, And my mom said, ask him. Well. Alice was too shy to asked me. But eventually I got around to approaching Alice, and we decided that we had a lot in common and we could be very good for one another because people who wouldn't talk to me in a million years were now going to tell me everything they knew because I'm working for Alice Bernhardt, who's a beloved men member of the community, true sweetheart, ninety year old woman who everybody loves. She's still the neighborhood's grandma. And for her, she's finally found someone who's going to treat her like a grown up and, like you said before, tell her the truth about what happened instead of letting her imagination continue to work. Right, And we did a really good good job. I have to say that we teamed up with Donald, a tubman who's been around ever since, and our best lead during the initial investigation led us to a set of brothers who are prone to violence against women, including sex attacks under threat of death. In the Devilo genesy junction, we refer to them as the Wilson brothers, but their names were actually Johnson, and they were from Dundee, New York, and one of them was married to George Anne's sister and another to her first cousin. The brothers had no scruples. You know that one of them quote beat up unquote their mom. The best way to explain the depravity of the family is this. Both our primary suspect, Clint and his father, Clint Sor, died soon after being caught raping their own granddaughters. So Junior was a chip off the old block in the sickest possible way. And if it's a coincidence that this guy lives next door to one of the victims and his brother in law of another, then I you know, I'll eat my hat. Georgianne's nephew said that quote the Johnson boys killed the girls, but that it was okay because they took care of it inside the family, which led us to investigate the deaths of the brothers, and many of which were caused by or occurred in the vicinity of their wives, so the women of the family took over and systematically disposed of these guys. And in haunting horamsites, we get a close up look at the investigation into the death of Georgie Anne's brother in law shot to death with a shotgun in the town of Henrietta by his wife's boyfriend while the wife, George Ane's sister was in the car screaming. We take a close up look at the investigation into that crime, as well as some haunting eyewitness accounts of the bizarre cauldron of human depravity that was allowed to fester in near Genese Junction during the summer in nineteen sixty six. The book also has an update on the double initial murders, which is the murder of Carmen Cologne, Wanda Walkowitz, and Michelle Maenza in nineteen seventy one and nineteen seventy three in Rochester. All of them were picked up while walking alone on the street in an urban setting and their bodies were found raped beside a country road in a very rural setting, and that was the thing that they tied them together. They're all ten or eleven years old, and we give some updates, and that we follow the the odd patterns set by Kenneth Bianchi and Joseph Naso, which is now joined by a new guy named Paul Frediani. And these are all young men who were in high school in the Rochester area at the time of the double initial murders, and all of them moved to California and became convicted killers. Wow, so yeah, it's weird. Us, of course, is the most unusual of the bunch because his victims all had the same first and last night not all, but most of them had the same first and last initial. And he killed a woman in California whose name was also Carmen Cologne, same name as the first double initial victim in the Rochester area. Now that's a DNA case, the limited DNA case. We have DNA from the middle victim, but not from the other two. And obviously so far there's never been a DNA match with any of these suspects.
Speaker 5: What is the most profound thing that you discovered in Haunting Homicides Of all the profound things that you discovered in all the investigations that you undertook with these cases, and all the contacts and leads that you followed up on was the most profound thing about this book.
Speaker 6: Well, I think what we have here is.
Speaker 7: Symptoms of a disease that, in some cases police didn't yet know existed, the idea that human monsters went out and hunted people, that the victims were usually non threatening types such as children and diminutive women, and that the crimes were done for sexual gratification. Law enforcement up until the end of.
Speaker 6: World War two, very very good at solving murders that accompanied robberies and murders that were involved involved domestic disputes. You know, if the wife died, the husband always did it. You know, if the gas station guy was shot, it was the same guy who emptied the cashal resister drawer. But this we found in a lite year old girl partially clad in the weeds. That stuff was kind of befuddling, you know. The whole idea of serial murder wasn't thought of that much. The Boston Strangler was one that was known but until the mid sixties, when Pandora's Box was opened pretty much during the summer in nineteen sixty six, same time as the child I murders, you know, with it. By the end of the sixties, we knew that that serial killing was a thing, that evil was out there, and that there were human predators. But to watch the light bulb go on slowly is very profound for me that we're so much smarter now and to the point where that the nature of mind bogglingly horrible crime has changed. We don't see the serial killer who allowed it was the pressure cooker to build up in between crimes, the one who taunts police but stays a shadow. Today we see spree killers, guys who harm themselves in one way or another and then go to a crowded place and try to kill as many as they can, and usually it turns out to be a particularly violent and horrible form of suicide because they end up dead, either shot by a police officer or at their own gun. So there's this period at the end of the twentieth century where there's this phenomenon of serial killing, and I don't think it'll ever cease to fascinate me because it was the thing that terrorized me to the point of trauma when I was a kid. You know, I'm glad I gave Alice Bernhardt some closure. I'm not sure that I'll ever give myself closure, and luck luckily for the crime readers, I think I will always be searching for answers involving these sorts of crimes.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, it is also fascinating to see for the younger reader they must be astonished at the sense of trust of people that they weren't. They wouldn't report their children missing for hours later, I guess after they.
Speaker 6: Exhausted all of the.
Speaker 5: The obvious ideas where they thought their kid might have gone to the Uh. The constant phone contact that we have now would enable us to know about things that or at least believe that something had gone awry much much earlier than afterwards. Now, when when you read this stuff now, you can't believe the differences that these kinds of crimes and these kinds of criminals have made with everyone's life in society today.
Speaker 6: Yeah, when Joe Anne Lynn is a ducted at about eight o'clock in the morning, uh, the school knows she's absent, but her parents don't know she's absent until she doesn't come home from school. And even then, you know, the thinking is that maybe she stopped at the store. All in all, eleven hours passed before police are informed that this little girl didn't show up at school that morning.
Speaker 5: Those rules changing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Even the brother doesn't know, he sees he doesn't see his sister there, but doesn't think the call again, we would do that today, doesn't think to call home, just thinks, well, I guess she just stayed back. Yeah, incredible.
Speaker 6: And I you know, I certainly remember the days before cell phones. You know, you you needed you need to find somebody with a phone or her a payphone in order to call, and you wanted to make really sure that not thing that there was an actual emergency, because if you called and upset your mother and it turned out to be nothing, you know, you might get yelled at.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean just the whole idea that there might be a crime occurring didn't occur to people.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Incredible.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about haunting homicide. It's been a real pleasure for those that might want to look at your other work. You're twenty five years of true crime writing. Is there a Facebook page for this and a website they might refer to.
Speaker 6: Well, you can go to Amazon dot com. I have my own page there. Don't confuse me with the Michael Benson, who writes about outer space, the one with the White Beard, the one thing in the book at the end of each chapter. For the open cases, I've given a phone number for the appropriate law enforcement And if, as so often happens, you know something and you never want to talk to a police officer ever, ever, ever, you can get in touch with me. You know, I'm at author Michael Benson. If I can give a quick plug for stuff coming up, sure not. Still on sale at a bookstore near you is Carmine the Snake, biography of mafia legend Carmine Persco that I wrote with Frank Demadio on sale next month. Brooklyn the bag Dad, Christopher Strom's memoir written with Jerome Pricelin, myself by a New York Police Department interrogation expert who after retirement, goes to Iraq to fight terrorism. And next year my next mob opus written with Frank Domadio, called Lord High Executioner. It's the story of the man who ran murdering albert Anastasia. Wow.
Speaker 5: Fascinating. Well, thank you very much, and thank you Michael for your work with Donald Tubman on hunting homicides. It's been that an thank you very much, Michael, have a great day.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it. Dan.
Speaker 5: Always a pleasure, always a pleasure. Thank you, good night, take care.