Speaker 1: Kf I AM six forty. You're listening to Dean Sharp The House Whisper on demand on the iHeart Radio app KFI AM six forty live streaming in HD everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Hey, welcome home. I'm Dean Sharp, the House Whisper. I design custom homes and on the weekends, I am here to guide you to better understand that place where you live. That's what we're all about here on the program. We're all about home, your home, turning your ordinary house into an extraordinary home. And as Saturday mornings go, we are taking calls this morning and you get to set the agenda about what today's show is all about. The number to reach me eight three three to ask Dean A three three The numeral two Ask Dean A three three to ask Dean anything you want to talk about regarding your home. Whatever's got you scratching your head regarding your home. That's why I am here. Anything at all, DIY concern a construction question, an engineering question, an architectural question, a design question inside, outside, landscape, hardscape, soft scape, any kind of scape you can think of, interior decor, All of it is fair game. And I want to help you through, and we'll find a way through to make your ordinary house a more extraordinary home. Eight three three two ask Dean. Saturday morning calls are lights, so it's always a great time to call in and get onto the air and let me help you out with your issues. Let me introduce our awesome team, sam Is on the board. Good morning Sam, Good morning Dean. How you doing? Oh good? No, the feed into the studio here is a little spottyed like cutting in and out a little bit on me, but sam Is wrestling are not so live studio audience as always and doing a stellar job. Producer Richie is standing by ready to take your calls. Oh, producer Richie is taking calls. So there you go. See Oaks are already calling in good time for you to call into A three three to ask Dean, and of course Eileen Gonzales at the news desk. Good morning, Eileen, Good morning Dean.
Speaker 2: How you doing?
Speaker 1: Good? Good? Wait, let me guess it's green tea? How'd you guess? Did I get it right? You did? But actually I'm gonna get fancy. I'm going to add some pineapple ginger to it. Well, I'm sorry, what was that pineapple? Yeah, pineapple, pineapple, ginger and ginger. Yeah, that's a good condom. I am having a coffee black as God intended. That sounds good. Get that caffeine going, yes, exactly. Sitting across the table from me, my better half, my design partner, my best buddy in all the world. There she is. Well, it wasn't that wasn't you, but that was your spirit animal. Tina is here. Welcome home. Hey, good to see you this morning. I know here. I am been a couple of weeks where we've had you off doing other things, right, it's nice to have you back. Thanks. We've had a lot of guests in the studio. We have have had a lot of guests and it's been a good thing. And I see you've brought a beagle with you as well.
Speaker 3: I did. Yes, I come prepared with coffee and a beagle. Silent Sam, He's silent studio, so silent. Not so silent everywhere else, but he tends to be silent here in the studio. So glad to hear that. All right, y'all, let's dive in, shall we. We've got a couple of calls on the board. Tons of room for you as well. Eight three three two, ass Dean. It's an all Saturday morning. You set the agenda and I sit back and take it. Whatever it is that's going on with your home, will do it all, can't I? I Jean Charp the house whisper. Whether your home is a condo or a cottage or a castle matters not to me. I'm here to help you take it to the next level. Thank you for joining us on the program this morning. It is always a pleasure to spend a Saturday morning with you. We are doing all calls. The number to reach me eight three three to ask Dean eight three to three, the numeral two ask Dean, and there's room on the board for you. So if you've got a question about your home, give me a call. Joel has a question about his home. Let's talk to Joel. Hey Joel, welcome home.
Speaker 4: Hi Dean, nice talk to you.
Speaker 2: I have a back door with a glass window. It's like by forty and I want to make it more secure. Is there any way of making that door more secure from you know, intrusion or should I just get a new back door? Because I'm thinking of a back door.
Speaker 1: You're thinking of a new back door.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking and I can make this one more secure.
Speaker 1: You know, right, Yeah, I'm assuming that you don't have tempered glass on that door, so it doesn't yeah, okay, because if it was tempered I usually tell people, hey, don't worry so much about the glass in the door, because tempered glasses, you know, it's not bomb proof, it's not impassable, but it is a lot lot harder to smash and grab, as they say, with tempered glass panels inside a door than just standard glass. Most doors are made without, you know, if there's just a smaller glass section, they're made without the tempered glass. So yeah, it is a little bit of a vulnerability. The only thing I could tell you, Joel, without ruining the look of the whole thing is there are security screens out there on the market that are available, and you could call a company that does security screens. Now it's going to darken its vibe just a little bit, because the security screens are significantly you know, strong and thick, and when they say secure, I mean they really are secure, and they would like screw onto the section. You could have a security screen custom made to basically fit like a panel over the glass would not obscure the glass would darken it a little bit, but wouldn't obscure the glass. You'd still have light coming through. And security screens are mega hard to get into and through way better than bars, by the way, because you know, the minute the bars go up, that's when you know property value start to drop and you start feeling like, well, you know, I live in that kind of a neighborhood. So security screens are an aesthetically passive way of dealing with that, and uh it would help out a lot. And uh so I would check that out. And then you just weigh that against the possibility of getting a new door, either with zero glass or with tempered glass, so that you can make that back portal more secure. Okay, thank you, that makes sense. Yes, thank you, you are very very welcome, my friend. Well, one up one day, you too, buddy, you too. Uh it's nice to just right out of the bat. It's like, there you go, asked it answered, uh uh, let's uh, well, we can get another call going here, at least let's talk to James. Hey, James, welcome home.
Speaker 5: Hey Deane, thanks for taking a call. I guess, I guess of a theme of glass here. I have a condominium that has a lot of glass facing a very very busy boulevard in Los Angeles, and we hear a lot of bus and motorcycle and exotic car noise. And I'm wondering if you have some magic solution to reducing the noise and both the master bedroom in the great room that faced the boulevard.
Speaker 1: Okay, here we go again with sound. Sound is a tricky thing, my friend. Sound sure, yeah, sound proofing is. Ah. There is no one silver bullet for it. As I always say, it takes layers usually in order to achieve it, but they things can be achieved. Now Here is the critical question as to how I'm going to answer James, and that is are you renting or do you own this condom?
Speaker 5: Own it?
Speaker 1: Okay, you said the right thing, only because that's this way I can suggest some useful things. So the glass, if you're really invested in it, then you've got a club a couple of things. Number one, the wall that faces the exterior that faces the main street. There is the always the consideration that you use sound reducing insulation in that wall. Now, not an easy overnight fix because obviously you know it means pulling off some dry wall and putting in sound reducing insulation, but I guarantee you it will make a significant difference, maybe some sound reducing insulation, and then reinstall the drywall on some resilient channels. Resilient channels are just basically these small rails that drywall mount to and there's a rubber gasket in between the dry wall and where it attaches to the wall, and that small rubber gasket essentially becomes a sound break and energy break. It unbridges, that's what we call it. It's debridging, unbridging the energy that flows through the wall, and that's what sound is. Sound is energy that's coming through, and so you want to reduce the conductive materials that transfer that sound from the outside surface to the inside of the house. And that's one way of doing it. Sound sound rated insulation like rock mineral wool insulation, and maybe putting the dry wall back on with resilient channel and even some mass loaded vinyl, which is a material that you would stretch out all on the wall before the dry wall as well, which also has a great ability to reduce and dampen sound coming through. Now, as far as the glass goes, the glass is the key here. If you're really wanting that's the wall itself, but the glass itself. If you're really wanting to significantly reduce the noise coming through the wall, then you may want to invest in new windows and or sliding glass doors. I don't know which is, but it doesn't really matter, and it would be the problem.
Speaker 5: The problem is that the walls are all glass. That's all glass facing the street.
Speaker 1: It's just lots of glass facing the street. Okay, so that's that would be it's not going to be. Yeah, but there is, uh, there are on the market some really wonderful noise reduction, sound reducing, sound dampening glass products out there. Every major manufacturer has access to them, every major window and door manufacture. And and what it is. It's a dual glazed window like the ones that you've got, like a standard dual glazed window. The difference being the outer pane of that glass. There are actually two pieces of glass again sandwiched with a vinyl membrane in between that you can't see, and that vinyl membrane doesn't ritible job of unbridging the sound that moves through the glass. And it's better than triple glazed windows. So if you want to look into that, look into the it is not cheap, but look into replacing the glass with soundproofing glass. And I mean apart from that and buying heavy window curtains which defeat the entire purpose of having windows facing the street. That's how I would approach it.
Speaker 4: My friend got it.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it. Thanks team, all.
Speaker 1: Right, James, good luck with that. That's a tough one. It's tough. I mean, that's the answer, but it's not the answer anybody wants to hear is replace all the glass that faces the street with soundproofing glass. I wish more builders were more conscientious about the fact that the glass that faces busy streets on the developments that they create, you know, end up creating a noise problem. But of course builders are looking for the cheapest answers, always, always, always, and then owners have to pay the price for that as they live in those places for years to come. All right, more of your calls when we return your Home with Dean Sharp the house whisper.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six FORTYFI.
Speaker 1: AM forty live streaming in HD everywhere on the iHeartRadio app Dean Sharp the house whisper here with you that you've joined us on the program, as always spending our time here on the weekends talking to you about your house, trying our best to help you convert it from a house who or from an ordinary house? Yes, from an ordinary house to an extraordinary home. Whether you live in a cottage, a condo, a castle, matters not. Everybody deserves good architecture, good design, good construction, and all of that is here with me to share with you as you are processing what's going on with your home. It is an all calls Saturday morning, and so let's return to the phones. The number by the way to reach me. Plenty of room on the board for you. Eight three three to ask Dean. Eight three three the numeral to ask Dean, A three three to ask Dean. It's just that simple to ask Dean anything you want to talk about regarding your home. Let's talk to Pat. Hey, Pat, welcome.
Speaker 5: Home, Good morning, Dean, thanks for taking the call.
Speaker 1: Thank you, my friend. How can I help you?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 1: Yes, Pat, go ahead, How can I help you?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 1: Okay, we're having some trouble with Pat. Let me pop Pat on hold and Pat, you hang tight, We'll figure it out. Let's go to Ann. Hey, Ann, welcome home.
Speaker 4: Hey, good morning Dean. How are you.
Speaker 1: I am well? How are you good?
Speaker 4: I'm doing really good. This is going to be an unusual question, not really, but let me set you up here. I've got fifteen I'm a brand new chicken owner. I've got fifteen beautiful birds and we just built out a coop for them in our barn, and we're building a run. And my question is my run is sixteen y ten, so it's sixteen feet out from the side of the barn. And I'm in North Idaho, so we get snow, rain, everything. I only have about a six and a half inch slope to my roof, and I want to know if that's going to be enough or if I need to change the pitch a little bit for rain, runoff for snow to protect the girls.
Speaker 1: Okay, is it a So this is a flat, flat roof on top that's just sloped in one direction.
Speaker 4: So it's just sloped in one direction, it's coming off of the barn that has a significant slope to the roof. We get probably four to six feet of snow up.
Speaker 1: Here, right, Okay, So so I'm just trying to see here that six inch drop you say, there's a six inch slope that's over sixteen feet. That's six inches over sixteen feet.
Speaker 4: It's six and a half inches over about sixteen feet.
Speaker 1: Okay, here let me. Now you're going to force me to do math at six forty five in the morning, all right, I just wanted.
Speaker 4: To come down on my girls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So here's the thing. Technically, technically speaking, that's that's about zero point four it's a it's about three eighths of an inch per foot of slope. Okay, another zero point four inches of you know, per foot of slope. So the definition the definition of a flat roof that is code acceptable. Okay. I'm talking about like a flat roof like up on top of a commercial building right in town, right where there's no there's a slope, you know, there's no big roof pitch that's visible, just like a flat top commercial building or an office building or top of a skyscraper, all that kind of thing. So what we're going for up there, code requires that roof to slope at one quarter of an inch per foot. Okay, now your so your so that's in other words for rainfall and such. That's totally acceptable. Okay, what you've got is about not quite twice that. Okay. So yeah, so you've got you've got a good enough slope as far as rain, moisture, all of that stuff. Okay. The only questioning okay, it's not really the slope is so much. The only question is whether or not the the top of that roof is you know, because it is still relatively flat. I mean, it's definitely in the flat of category. So the question is where you're at whether or not the structure of that run can handle you know, a good amount of snow building up on top of it and sitting up there the weight of the snow, not so much the runof for leaking or anything like that. It's just you know, with a with a relatively flat roof like that, you're gonna get a pile up of snow, especially you know, in a nice dry snowstorm where you know, it gets sticky, the powder builds up. So the question is going to be that you'd have to just kind of look at the question of whether or not it can hold the weight while the snow is up there. Technically, as far as the drainage is concerned. It's not a problem. It's just a question of whether it can hold the weight. And if you can't change the pitch too much, and I'm not sure that doesn't sound like you've got a whole lot of leeway to change the pitch considerably. But if you can't the pitch too much, then you may I don't know if your home has this as well, but you may want to put some heating elements up there on the roof, you know, around that first course, around the edge. In other words, to keep the snow as it hits, to keep it melting, so that it keeps melting and slipping off as it hits. Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, no, absolutely absolutely. We've even looked at making possibly half of it convertible, taking the roof off because we'll have hardware cloth up there to protect them from hawks and predators, and then just let the snow come in on half of it because they'll be okay with snow. I just don't want it to all collapse on them.
Speaker 1: So yeah, exactly, Yeah, I'd rather have them put up with the snow, you know, around their ankles, then half the whole thing coming down and squishing them. So yeah, that's what I would recommend.
Speaker 4: That's perfect, Thank you sir.
Speaker 1: And congratulations. How many how many little ones do you have?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: I have thirteen girls and two boys and they're twelve weeks old. They just it just got warm enough to let them out of the bruder that was in our basement. And we won't have any white eggs. They'll all be blue green. I've got some chocolate brown speckled eggs coming that I'm very excited about. And at twelve weeks they are full blown teenagers. Oh yeah, there are a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I was asking because we just re upped our checks too. We've got ten ten new chicks that are just now. I literally just opened up the outsiding closed run for them yesterday. So they're sticking their heads out now for the first time away from the the infrared light, and they're looking around like, uh huh, it's a big world out there, and they're.
Speaker 4: No, it's crazy. What breeds do you have?
Speaker 1: Oh my god? Well you know what I got to go to break. But I promise when I come back, I will I'll read off the breeds to so everybody else will be scratching their heads like what does that guy talk about? But I will share them with you when we return. And thank you so much for the call, and good luck, good luck on that Yeah, let's let's not make let's make sure that that chicken run doesn't come down on their on their heads. All right, we'll be back at it, including what breed of chicks we have added here to the ranch. Fine dems start the house whisper a welcome home. Thanks for joining us on the program. It is a beautiful warm here in southern California May weekend for us. Uh and uh, it's going to be a lovely day. It's gonna be a little bit warm today though, but I'm hoping that the heat wave is edging off here. We had a it has been a weird spring here in southern California. I don't know where you are, but we've actually had a legitimate and I think are still having a legitimately what I call real springtime is. Having been born and raised in southern California, I can tell you that spring for the majority of my life is just typically you know, you get out of winter in February, March hits and the weather is sunny and clear, and it looks exactly like summer, except it's not hot, that's all. It's just spring for us. Is looks like summer, but it isn't as warm as summer. That's pretty typical for so cal But man, here we are in May, and we're having weeks in which, oh, it's raining on Tuesday, and then fifty four degrees is the high, and it's cold at night, and then cloudy the next day. And now we are within the course of what three or four days, we're up in the eighties and nineties, and then we're going to drop back down again. And I just heard that there might be another storm on the way. It is crazy town here, but that's actually what spring is for a lot of people in various parts of the country. So just letting you know where, for whatever reason, we are having a real spring, but an unusual one, all right. I promised Anne. I'm sorry, sorry. I know we're gonna we're gonna get to calls right after the next break, but I promised our caller Anne that I would share with y'all. She's got new chicks, baby chicks, because it is springtime. It is chicken time. And I promised Anne that I would share our new breeds with her, because we've got ten new baby chicks that are they're getting big, they're getting pretty. They're pretty much feathered now almost there may be eighty ninety feathered, right, Tina. Uh So, We've got a salmon Favarolu, which lays light brown to pink eggs. We got a bobtail Peckin, which is a white, creamy egg We've got a we have two white crested polish with the really funky dues coming in. Those are white eggs. We've got an this is I love this one, a naked neck pulky okay, which is a pulk silky hybrid and it looks like a little turkey while rocking around right now because there's no feathers on their neck. Those are brown cream eggs. We've got Camellia, who's an Americana. She's gonna lay blue eggs. We've got Muffin, who's a California white, she lays white eggs. We have Maple, who's a sapphire gem. She way lays brown eggs. We've got Pumpkin, who is a starlight green egger who lays mint green eggs colored eggs. And we got Blueberry, who's a blue lacewine dot, and chi Lay's brown eggs, so it's going to be a multicolored egg. Best.
Speaker 3: This time around, we went more for the breeds and less for the egg color, because in the past we had beautiful, almost rainbow colored eggs.
Speaker 1: And some of these some of these chicks are bantams, what we call bantams, which are just the they're just a smaller version of a larger breed. They're like like if you're going to get like a standard poodle or a miniature poodle, right, same thing, except smaller birds. Anyway, And no, for those of you who are wondering, the color of eggs has nothing to do with what's inside the egg. They're all the same eggs or eggs or eggs or eggs or eggs. Okay, it doesn't matter brown eggs. So if you buy brown eggs at the store and they're like two dollars a dozen more, you know, hey, I guess if you like brown eggs. But the point is on the inside, it's all the same egg. Okay, organic is nice, but apart from that, it's all the same egg. So there you have it. You have your egg. Lesson here this morning as we are. But this actually came from a housey kind of question. It came from a roof question. So I'm just saying, I'm just saying, all right, y'all, more of your calls. It's an all calls Saturday morning. The number to reach me eight three three two. Ask Dean A three three the numeral two ask Dean A three three to ask Dean more of your calls when we return. This is Dean Sharp, the house whisper on KFI.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI a M six forty