Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout Podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of September thirtieth, we are continuing with Lost, Season one, episode thirteen, Hearts and Minds. Our theme has previously been bad dads. Into this, we add a bad cis. Yeah it was holy cow, Shannon. Yeah, yike, we thought you were just kind of a twit, but that is some twisted hum leap you got going on there, poor boone, and honestly like skipping around.
Speaker 2: But Locke somehow drugs Boon and makes him think Shannon's.
Speaker 1: Dead, the emphasis on somehow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, somehow, like creates a paste of god knows what he found in the jungle, applies it to Boone's open wound.
Speaker 1: On the top of his head. Yes, blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: He has this whole extended hallucination where he thinks at the end he thinks Shannon's dead. Later he finds out she's not dead. Locke says, but how did you feel when you thought she was dead? And he said relieved? And I said meto. I was like, I was kind of fine with her be.
Speaker 1: Well, then they got kill off one of these people, she's the one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't have minded. But apparently that was not the Did.
Speaker 1: You catch on at all that it was a dream or did you think it was for real? No?
Speaker 2: I thought it was real. That's why I was like when she was dead, I was like, okay, I can I can live with that.
Speaker 1: He said, she died in his arms. She looked pretty dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought she was already pretty much a goner when she was laying there with her all slashed to bits.
Speaker 1: You well, just I mean, it felt very real.
Speaker 2: Because that's what happened to the pilot, right, I mean he got like slurped up by the monster and thrown in a tree and shredded up. So yes, that's why I was like, oh well.
Speaker 1: Yep that time that that monster took somebody else exactly. I approve of the choice. But boy, those custom may visions that are going to make him see exactly what Lucke wants him to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's some pretty impressed there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the island it is weird. It will do things weird for sure. And Lucke as well, Yeah, just just have a talk with the young man. I don't think you really need to go on trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But well, and how did he know that, like aside from the specific vision like that he wanted him to have, Like, yeah, he would have to know that there was some sort of doubt or something in Boone's mind, right, Yeah, make that effective.
Speaker 1: He's just been observing their dynamic and thinking something ain't right or what because he does not have the benefit of watching the flashbacks as weally And oh man, yeah, Icky, so perhaps instead of warning sayid off, Boone should have been warning him of her yeah, to get involved, man, he's bad news.
Speaker 2: He's definitely bad.
Speaker 1: Can take care of himself, right, Oh golly, you imagine just flying to Australia to handle your sister's unfortunate affairs. This, this will be our parenting lesson. Don't set up that dynamic between your children, yeah, your step children. Do not put one in charge of the other and then expect them to go clean up the messes. It's not fair And it ends up like this. It ends up with somebody being relieved that the.
Speaker 2: Other, the other one was killed.
Speaker 1: A monster, the big goodness, it's start. It's not real. Still there tormenting me? Ah yeah, and when uh lock set up this thing where boone is tied up in such a way that he can with maximum agony, the knife and get himself loose. And it's like, with adequate motivation you can cut yourself and then of course hearing her scream is adequate motivation. Yes, it reminded me of the old parenting trope of you could lift up a car your child is under there. If our kids are in trouble, we will dislocate our shoulders to reach that knife.
Speaker 2: And uh, although they do, they they definitely have a more complex relationship than parent.
Speaker 1: Yes, child, but it is externally sort of a parent role that Boone plays in going to rescue her, apparently over and over again, and she plays on that. Yes, let's not talk about that without the incest part y. Yeah, a technicality, yes, but if if, if it was a father father rescuing situation would be some yeah, but still no, no, no, don't do that. No, don't do that, especially since you know he wants to. So yeahh Shannon, And you know, do you think Walcke is kind of competing with Jack now to be the island papa. He's a bad dad to Boom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a bad dad, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Like Charlie's like, yeah, me so that I gave up Herolin. He's my favorite. He's the only one I trust. Jack's like, wait a minute, trust me.
Speaker 2: My job, my job.
Speaker 1: This episode could have been subtitled yeah, just wanders around the island talking to people, just checking up, checking up on his kingdom, you know, walking around, chatting, approving of things.
Speaker 2: Didn't have any like medical emergencies to deal with.
Speaker 1: He didn't really have a plot.
Speaker 2: He had just figure something else out.
Speaker 1: Island dad checking in with the kids, you know, But now he finds he has a competitor, and Lucke is I've enjoyed that character since we found out what his secret was. But he's he's getting a little nuts. Yeah, get a little dark. Yeah, you know, Hurley's got a point. Get us some bar. What are you doing? What do you do?
Speaker 2: I mean, the hatch isn't going anywhere, Like, take a day off, get some.
Speaker 1: Bore, think about it, Maybe some explosives.
Speaker 2: Maybe look for Claire for five minutes.
Speaker 1: Yes, like whay is nobody looking for Claire? Gosh, she'll find her way back. It's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that pregnant girl, whatever happened to her?
Speaker 1: I don't want to hear name. Yeah, yeah, that.
Speaker 2: Is not good. Yeah, nobody seems concerned either.
Speaker 1: I don't get that. That seems like a plot hole. Yeah, it seems like they just kind of got tired of thinking about that for a while. But I guess we are to think that the continued Shannon said, uh, project of translating things and said figuring out what direction is north and all these things are a way to get an idea of where to go, I guess instead of wandering around. But yes, it's like and also we don't really have a sense of how many days have transpired.
Speaker 2: Right, And I mean it's just I just don't buy that somebody like Kate right or is just like, well, let me just plant our garden, you know, like so that we can have some fruit six months from now.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, yeah, it's very weird.
Speaker 2: She's already proved herself over and over to be like I'll save you, you know, I'll go whatever whatever's going on. I got to be involved in the middle of it.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of folks here with the Savior complex who are just sitting on it, and I don't understand why they're just waiting to get to that point in the season when they can spring the next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why Claire doesn't merit any concern? Is upset?
Speaker 1: This really was kind of a time marking episode, wasn't it. I Mean, there's nothing that happened here that would probably have been missed had it not occurred. Right.
Speaker 2: We just got the Boone and Shannon backs.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think we all kind of knew that the Shannon and Boone relationship was messed up, just what we see for ourse, But the lesson the better that But you know, we got the uh Son made the made the mistake, the rookie mistake of laughing at a joke. She revealed herself to Kate. Yes, so now understanding English.
Speaker 2: Now two people know she speaks English.
Speaker 1: I forgot that not everybody knows. I thought that a wider circle of people knew, and we're just keeping it from gin Well.
Speaker 2: Eventually, I assume that has to.
Speaker 1: She asked the perfect question to shut Kate up. Have you never lied to an you love? Well, that's my whole story.
Speaker 2: So yep, I've been talking about that anymore.
Speaker 1: The watch the flashback sun and you will find out how many times I have done just that. Have you seen my little toy airplane? I bet there was some line to a man she loves involved in that.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And you know, I think as parents, we've all had the situation where we're trying to do important things. We're trying to, you know, run a little society. We're trying to make sure people are safe. We're trying to do all sorts of things, and one little kid is going, what's for dinner? I'm hungry. I don't like this. I want something else, or Hurley or Hurley and his unhappy stomach. Yes, not gonna survive on fruit? Is that one afraid to ask Gin for fish? No more bore coming through what he's just this is what's on his mind. Pos talks to everybody about where's the food? So he finally gets himself a that's a cleaned but uncooked fish, right, But I suppose it's yes, a peace offering. Yes, better than an urchin or whatever that was he gave him to And Gin respectfully declined to pee on his foot, so maybe he understood. Maybe he understood, and it's just like, no, we're not going to be doing that. We very briefly and for no apparent reasons, saw Michael Vincent and waltm just as a reminder every of these guys.
Speaker 2: Are still here.
Speaker 1: Table that okay, next week, next week?
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: So yeah, not so much to say about this episode because it was, you know, it was just ambling around like Jack. But keep in mind the bit of business with the compass. Okay, I think it's not a spoiler to say, but what if it's not broken? What if the island is just weird?
Speaker 2: So yeah, that doesn't seem like a spoiler. That seems like something we do know.
Speaker 1: It's a place where you can pick some plants and give somebody a custom designed trip, make sure he resolves his issues with I would like to order up one sibling messed up sibling relationship hallucination.
Speaker 2: Thank you, just walk on down to the island pharmacy.
Speaker 1: That's right, you know, very specific. He's not gonna be hallucinating opening the hatch or doing whatever he does in his wedding empire or whatever. Specifically, his sister being torn apart by a monster relatable. So we will hope for something more satisfying next episode. Uh episode fourteen of Lost, which is special. Now we heard in this one that Shannon was special, but I don't think that's the special where we're going to be. I believe this is a Michael flashback episode.
Speaker 2: Okay. So also like a terrible title for an episode because is it a special episode? You know, is it a like out of cong continuity, like yes, very special Christmas episode or what.
Speaker 1: I've been seeing that on the lostipedia uh list and thinking it was like a special episode because later in the season they have a recap episode. I was thinking that's what this was. And then when we were talking about you know, Walt getting his number and backgammon all the time, are we supposed to think there's something special about him? So then what I saw, I was like, Oh, okay, that's it. Maybe him, maybe somebody else. Maybe there's just they're all spec Yeah, and that's why they're on the island. His hand picked them especially to come and plant things and catch fish and kill bares and pry opened this nasty hatch that's been bothering it. Yes, and in manlike law, he'll figure it out. He'll stare at it for how many months you'll come to him? You know what. He's a resourceful dude. And we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss only murders in the building, another show that I feel is making. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years,