Speaker 1: Steve Rivera and Jake and Salez they have their eye on the ball on Tucson Sports. They yet Fox Sports fourteen fifty streaming live. I mean I heard radio apps.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Why and the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, you're Jickensaus. Now we have Henry with breaking new.
Speaker 1: This says I on the ball breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Arizona women's golf opens their season as the Folds of Honor Collegiate champions.
Speaker 4: And how are they doing? Did they?
Speaker 2: I think they already played this?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it said they won't. I don't, all right, but the opens already. It was like the preseason or the fall season. Yeah, but I know I knew they were in this tournament. I didn't know how they were doing in this tournament. Yeah, they were the champions.
Speaker 4: Well, good for them, all right, new coach. Right, she's like about twelve years old.
Speaker 2: She looks like we're just getting older. We're just getting older. She seems very young. Everybody seems very young.
Speaker 4: Well I know anymore, right, even Tony seems young, right, Tony. Oh, he's got gray in his beard though, he deals with people like us. I can see it from here. Don't learn anything? Yeah, too funny? All right, sorry about that.
Speaker 3: Rangers pitcher Jacob de Garom will make his first start back from Tommy John on Friday.
Speaker 4: WHOA, Okay, I know you don't get Tommy John. Surgery has become like everybody gets it right, So some guys get it two or three times right. I didn't know that he had maybe not. I'm sitting here worrying about the Dan Dodgers pitching staff. Uh but Tioska Ernandez was back last night, which is good, But don't Okay, you used to have a favorite team, right did you have? You have his favorite red the Reds, right enough to where you did you get to see him on TV? Very often?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, all the time when I was a kid.
Speaker 4: Okay, did you hate anything more than turning on the TV game? Game is on? Your team is kicking butt, and then all of a sudden, the minute you turn it on and goes all to hell. That's what happened to me last night, turned on the Dodger game. It's the eighth inning. They're up three to one, and I'm like, all right, three one, they're beating you know, I think they're playing. Where are they playing? They're playing Cubs, the Cubs. So I turned it on. They're up three to one and in the next five minutes they score six runs and they get blown out.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what the hell are we doing? Do you realize who you are and the three letters?
Speaker 4: You know what? That shouldn't happen just because they turned the dang game on. You speak of them. It should not. You speak of them, and it goes to crap. It should not happen. That should not be. It's not like I put money on them or anything.
Speaker 2: Tony, Tony does you seem like you're not a sports fan. You're just kind of here helping. But you know, the reference kod just to death. If he even thinks it, it's gonna happen. If you thought of the end of the world tomorrow, the asstech calendar would pop up from somewhere and it would happened.
Speaker 4: Wait, wait till Thursday, exactly exactly exactly. Anyways, that happened to me last night. I was and I was really mad because I was doing some work. I forgot the game was on. Oh, the game's on, and I put it on and they're up three one. I'm like, all right, and the and the the Cubs are coming up to bad and then they blow them out just like that.
Speaker 2: The playoffs are going to be pretty interesting. They're going to be weird because they disappointing for you.
Speaker 4: I haven't. They got swept by the Diamondbacks, and I got to be at the game that completed the sweep, worse than any I was at the game. I don't want to go back to that ballpark ever. Again. That's called double kal. I mean, the Dodgers were there just you know, last week, and are you going? I said, are you out of your mind? Last time I was there, they got blown out and got swept in a playoff series. I have very low expectations for the Dodgers in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Man, And we got to check the tapes from five months ago. Because you said it's it's super, it's Super, it's World Series or both. Well, because because they're well he's there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well yeah, I mean they're they're they're in pieces right now. They got guys. They got guys on the il all over the place. Yeah all right, sorry about that.
Speaker 3: Tyreek Hill said today that he could have handled the traffic stop situation better from Sunday.
Speaker 2: Okay, And that was pretty much just rolling down his window kind of a listen to what they were saying. But he still wants the cop to be fired.
Speaker 4: Well, it depends on what happened after that, right, we don't know. Look we I mean, we've all seen we've seen clips of cops who lose their minds in a very short period of time. I know the cops who are incredibly patient and and you know, so it just depends on who you run into.
Speaker 2: Have you talked to your brother since our discussion two days?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: Only only that you know, we I kept getting text messages about the thing that in Arizona. If you get pulled over and they asked for your driver's license or i D, you have to provide it. It's the law. You have to do it, okay, and you have to comply. You know, if they tell you to get out of the car, you got to get out of the car, all right. You have to comply with an office's reasonable request. Is what this is.
Speaker 2: I just gotta find that car.
Speaker 4: Did you get dragged out of the car?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, I saw I saw a card and that says if you're ever in trouble, give them this card and then you have to talk to your attorney. Maybe that's not Yeah, I have to find that card.
Speaker 4: Maybe card. Yeah, it's the same things as again as a breath lizer. If you don't do the breathalyzer, there you're going to jail and they're going to draw your blood.
Speaker 2: What if you don't do the breatolizer and you didn't have any drinks.
Speaker 4: Doesn't matter. By by denying, By denying the breathalyzer, they're they're presuming that you're intoxicated. Why would you deny to do a breath lizer you didn't have anything to drink, just to be a dumb Okay, then you need to be taken to jail. Okay, you need to go to jail if you're going to do that pretty for jail. Oh no, I think they'd love you, and I love you. You take this, So just what I'm doing, given give the id take you know, if they're gonna give your ticket, they're gonna give you a ticket. You know, you know what you know what doesn't work is aggravating the cop.
Speaker 2: No, I know that, but we also so they're so wired already.
Speaker 4: You you you can you can set a cop off in no time flat. Now, some cops have they've got different approaches to things and they're handled things differently. But there are cops out there that if there's one little sliver of of of I don't know what you'd call the word disagreement, they're gonna they're gonna take you. You know, they're gonna they're gonna treat you bad.
Speaker 2: Don't you think? And this is I don't know who said this back in the day, uh, just recently. This probably happened a lot. But they didn't have phones.
Speaker 4: That's right, there were no phones and there were no Yeah, nobody was no. I mean okay. And again, you know when Tyreek Hill said he didn't want to be video that's why he wanted to keep rolling his window up. I get that. You know.
Speaker 2: The footy part is I don't want attention three fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, yeah, yeah, let's move on. Let's move on, all right.
Speaker 3: Does Shaun Watson deny the latest sexual assault allegations against him that were from twenty twenty, Well, I.
Speaker 2: Didn't think he was going to admit to them, did you, Steve No, But his his his uh line of successes following.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, here's here's the thing that you know. I heard because Dan Patrick brought it up. It was the main, a main topic of conversation on his show this morning. They had somebody who how don't know how actually got their hands on Deshaun Watson's contract apparently, you know, because they're saying, I mean, he's three years into five, this five year contract where he's getting ready. Yeah, I didn't know that there's two years left on the contract. That if if the Browns are looking for a way to get out of the contract, that apparently the contract states that if there are any more incidents such as this and he doesn't disclose them to the Browns before you know, it all becomes whatever, that they can cancel his contract. And so the question is will they want to do that. I don't know why they have them on their team to begin with, but after you know, all the other stuff. But if they're looking for a way out, they have a way out apparently. So I don't know, I don't know, but I mean, do I believe that this happened? Of course I do, based on his track record. Yeah, right.
Speaker 3: These Saints sent their players home early this afternoon ahead of Hurricane franc scene that it's hitting New Orleans soon.
Speaker 4: God, I just I'm not sure why people even live there. But you know there's so many places like you know, Hurricane Alley. Right, Oh you're from Indiana, right, Tony, that's not Hurricane Alley, but it's near it, or Tornado Alley. I mean, it's right there.
Speaker 2: People in New Orleans. So say, I don't know why people live in Arizona. There are snakes, and there's spiders and there's big creatures.
Speaker 4: Guess what we don't have. We don't have earthquakes. Well, there's that we don't have. We don't have a tsunamis. We don't have hurricanes. We don't have We've been a couple of tornadoes recently, but nothing that's rolled any mobile homes over or anything like that. We don't have any of that stuff.
Speaker 1: It's hot.
Speaker 4: It's hot in the summertime, right, you know, go to the mall, cool off, go to the movie theater, and it's crazy. I you know, I it's I didn't know that there was a hurricane moving in over there. But shocked, not shocked, right, all right, that's all I go. That's it, all right? What do you got Steve.
Speaker 2: I have nothing that's email for us, a text from the boss, but that's okay.
Speaker 4: You don't have a boss. Who's your boss?
Speaker 2: Boss here kind of the guy who's.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right. So you know, I don't know, it was fun talking to Bob Camp because he's so down on the on the Suns. He's down on the Cardinals. Sounds like Jody, Well, Jody loves Kyler Murray, though doesn't he will talk to him today? He didn't.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I'm sure that he went on a yesterday about the team. He says, there's this one side, you love Murray or or you don't love Murray. And it's citing more to you don't love Murray because of what he does and doesn't do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but part of why why I didn't like Kyler Murray sort of the way he came out as a you know, as a first round draft pick, and he was kind of up at E and I don't know, he gave me a bad impression right from the get go, and so I just and then you know, just I just don't feel I don't know, if you've invested that much in uh, in a guy like that, of course you're going to keep throwing him out there. But I don't know that. I don't want Kyler Murray on my team.
Speaker 2: Well, if you want to win, I don't think you should have. It's like mister Rogers here, Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was originally gonna play baseball, and.
Speaker 4: He well he was threatening to play baseball.
Speaker 2: Well he might eventually end up playing baseball because you might not have a chance with us.
Speaker 4: Well you better do it soon. Oh yeah, So I just came across the sea. Arizona Women's golf did win that tournament, Folds of Honor tournament?
Speaker 2: Cham who did?
Speaker 4: Who was in that? I don't know who else was in? I can I can probably get that because uh but that's you know, that's not bad, not bad. I I know, I can't get it. I don't see it. They don't have they don't have results on their website. But uh, you know, fall out of bed, you know when when your first tournament. Congratulations to to the coach. I can't remember her name, but we'll get oh Giovanna Maimon. So well we're gonna forget her on the show. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's gonna make me feel she's a Hispanic woman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's from Mexico. Yeah, yeah, we'll get her on. Yeah, she's from Mexico, so good for them. Okay, all right, So anyway.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering, this is a dumb question, this is dumb statement because we're Hispanic, right, and what Mexicans. I feel about the Mexican food here because she's gonna be eating it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was. She's gonna be nice to say it's great. Yeah, but really is it? Have you been?
Speaker 2: Have you have have five deep in you? Ever gone into mexicocres up out of you? No, it's just Mexicans down there. No, I can tell the story. I guess i'd go down there to Rocky, but I had. It's been a while. But so when I was a kid, like eight years old, maybe younger than that, five years ago, it's kind of been embarrassing. So we went down to Texas to uh to Bend. It's like the Texas and and with my relative. One of my uncles was the National forest guy. He was the big guy. So we went and spent the week there. And I was just a kid. My family and I took me there. So we went across I drink the water, and I'm a kid. I guess what I did the rest of the week, and I'll never ever do that again, ever do that. Since that day, I've never drink the water. And that's what gives me the phobia.
Speaker 4: I never drink the water down there.
Speaker 2: Well, guess what, I was fine. My parents didn't know any better.
Speaker 7: Drink the wine.
Speaker 2: So now we go to I've been to Rocky Play and all that stuff. No, no, Rocky Points the deepest I've going and and I'm okay with that.
Speaker 4: That's about it. Okay, Well, I've been to portoby Ericta. Can you go very chorist place. Been to Amscio though a few times. I mean I actually worked on an on an Arizonata star project down there. You know, I was careful, didn't drink the water. I was drinking sodas and things like that. That that was in the eighties, so it was before you had bottled water and stuff like that, So I just drank. I just drank cokes like crazy. Uh, you know, during that time. But now you know, we go to Rocky When we go to Rocky Point, you know, our family we take water down there with us. We take enough bottle of water for for a week down there. But we go to a restaurant, you know, I'll drink their water because it's I know, it's filtered. If you go to if you go to the nicer restaurants, uh, you know, because you know you're gonna have ice in your soda, so that's water, so you know you don't get sick from that. So I do that, and then I drink the booze and the beer and the sodas and things, just to be safe, just to be safe, just to kill anything that got in me. Right. So but now you know I I look, I did for the longest time. You know, the first time, the first time I went to Rocky Point. My who was later going to become my wife, made me go with her down there because she loved it. She went and did a semester of school in Guadalajara, so she loves about it. Fluent is me.
Speaker 2: What's the percentage of I mean, we're both pretty good, you know, what's the percentage of that? What do you mean you're good? Out of ten?
Speaker 4: I'm a I'm a seven and a half out of ten. Yeah, I'm a seven and a half out of ten. You know, she loves it down there, you get lost, but you'd find I mean, she's the one that she's the one that bought us the trip to go down to Porto Yrta and now before before we got married. Yeah, right, but Rocky Point, you know, we go to Rocky Point and we do our stuff and we have a great time and uh, you can't get in trouble. Right, well you can, but we choose not to.
Speaker 2: You're drinking beer and you're drinking the water.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly right. We're ready to go. Let's let's take our breakway to come back. Adrian Denny Adrian Denny road Runners.
Speaker 2: They opened some ticket sales today for the season, and we'll talk about what is it? A limbo?
Speaker 4: Is it? This?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 4: Not what we talk about.
Speaker 2: They're here, they're here but for hello, for as long as we want her to be here. What do you mean we Tucson. Okay, we'll ask.
Speaker 4: Hi about Okay, let's let's take her back quiver right bad.
Speaker 8: The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space today. Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 9: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 8: With type, color and style, and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorotle Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and that great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Tim, we'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 4: Where do you buy exercise equipment? Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 9: Of course, to feel better and look better.
Speaker 10: It makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else.
Speaker 9: At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you.
Speaker 10: Choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve.
Speaker 9: Arizona Health the leading edge.
Speaker 10: And exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 11: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your companies give away keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight Westtrackman Street or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 12: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpe is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Volpe team dot com. That's Volpe Team dot com or called five two oh six one eight, five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to Commitment to Lyndrix, sn credit greats and available loan programs or sufic to change the undice?
Speaker 4: Did you know?
Speaker 13: Sports cards at Memorabilia are setting records sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantles for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie so for five points six Also, collecting cards is a family fund hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on E Speedway. That's Showtime Cards. Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big.
Speaker 4: Watch your savings grow.
Speaker 14: To help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home, and more.
Speaker 12: Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to.
Speaker 14: Get started today. That really insured and CUA got bugs, termitesmees or rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. That's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Past Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpast dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Army Homes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the excess at all. It's Steve Rivera and Jagin Salvins. This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen to fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here at Fox Sports fourteen fifty and I'm Steve Rivera, eas Jakin.
Speaker 4: Zalis and I would the phone.
Speaker 2: We have a you know you are you doing?
Speaker 15: What's up?
Speaker 1: Guys?
Speaker 16: How's it going?
Speaker 2: We're doing okay. We're just kind of getting our feet went at our studio as everybody knows. But for you guys, how's it going? I guess today's an opening of the the next season with tickets.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Single game tickets went on sale this morning. TCC box Office, which is open ten to four Monday through Friday, or online at two Sun Roadrunners dot Com opening nights Saturday, October nineteenth, So just over just over a month away, and we'll be back at it for our ninth season in southern Arizona. And it's uh, looks like we're gonna have a good team. I would say, Roadrunners without question going to be the favorites to win.
Speaker 7: The Pacific Division.
Speaker 4: Oh look, you guys.
Speaker 16: Happened this offseason and a good second place finished last year and most of our teams back, including matp Alalta who led.
Speaker 6: The league in in wins.
Speaker 16: So looks like we're gonna have a great team and excited to get rolling again.
Speaker 4: Well look at you guys favored in the league. So and again we know what really I mean, the road Runners existed, try and you know, uh, you know, get players and supply the NHL team, But it matters to these guys right to win a league and playoffs and all that kind of stuff. What what is being a favorite though? Do you know going into the season, what how does that enter into anything?
Speaker 16: I think if you asked our head coach Steve Pavin, he would say it's something to to embrace, not not something we're not gonna look at and say we don't want to hear what anybody thinks.
Speaker 6: We don't want to look at our roster or any projections.
Speaker 16: We embraced that that were, you know, favored to make that jump from second place to first place this year, and and our group last year was really disappointed how things ended in the first round of playoffs. He brought the white Out back to the Tucson and wasn't able to extended out any more than the first first round, but we had two great crowds and it really rejuvenated the guys from that point of all, Gosh, we brought it back. Now we want it back for longer. We want to go a couple couple of months here, and going into the season last year, our goal was to have home ice advantage and bring the White Out back to the playoffs, and just as we did it.
Speaker 7: This is just too short.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, if it comes to fruition and you sound confident that it could. It sounds like the local fans deserve something like this because of maybe the last year of maybe are they going to leave, maybe they won't leave or whatever.
Speaker 16: Yeah, our fans do. And that's that's one thing we were just talking about, right, like you know that it's a developmental league, but we want to win and we've become really really in trench with our community and our players, and our guys love it here and they're they're excited to come back just they feel it home here and they feel a connection and then we fill a home nice advantage and it's a great place. And I've always felt, uh, you know, I came to Tucson because I thought it was the thirty third best job in the NHL and there's thirty two NHLA. Right, Yeah, it's it's it's if you're going to be in the American Hockey League, if you're going to be in the minor league, this is where you you want to be for a hundred different reasons.
Speaker 2: Well it's a good Uh did you get a scare inside somewhere deep inside where this team was not going to be here and that would mean that you would be be gone too?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 16: I felt, I felt within all my heart that we would uh we'd we'd be back, and uh, you know, it was it was. It was kind of a tumultuous couple of months there of of just not knowing just for hockey in Arizona in general, and I felt that, you know, with with the infrastructure that we built into on UH at the TCC, and with the city and with our fans support, and how much you know, internally the NHL club wanted one of the players and coaches to be in Tucson. I felt that we had a lot going for us. And it came came to fruition and somebody asked me, and somebody asked me in early May if my house was for sale, and I said, it is not.
Speaker 6: My house is not.
Speaker 16: For sale and I don't don't plan on putting it up.
Speaker 4: We we we heard, no, we heard you bought a new house in the foothills in Phoenix, somewhere right in that in that how the thing works. You were a ring on market coosing the deal with somebody.
Speaker 7: Catalina Foothills is the only foothills for.
Speaker 4: Me, man, So listen, what's the long term? Is refresh our memory on this? Is there a is there a deal signed with the TCC or you know? So how long are we do? We know that you're here for sure?
Speaker 16: Yeah, So this was season number nine of the original ten year lease.
Speaker 6: In June we added.
Speaker 16: An additional year to it. So officially three years the leaf, which is you know, it's uh, it's it's a lot of a lot of room to work with. And you know, you know, I know personally are our goals just to keep extending that uh and and just keep keep building it here. But it's it's, it's it's where we want to be. We know our community once this year, we know our NHL affiliate once, our player is developing here.
Speaker 7: And and as I said, I think we have had a.
Speaker 6: Lot of good stuff.
Speaker 16: Going for us, and we've been able to build build a fan base every year. First three years we did. The fourth year went into COVID, came back out of it and picked up right where we left left off. So it's good to see, right, uh, to to keep expanding that fan base every year. So often in professional sports we'll see that initial bang for an expanded team and then the the graph goes goes down, trending down. And for us, it's it's always been trending up from year to year.
Speaker 4: Well, it's okay, since it's the off season, right, we got to ask these questions now, we'll we'll talk about players later. Whatever you want, the whole thing, Okay, So you're still you're still the farm team for the team that's now in Utah. Correct, correct, Okay, but I guess the ownership group, the prior Coyotes ownership group, still has rights to Phoenix. What happens if they get a team, do you it can shuffle around? Would the road Runners be a minor league team for them if it came around in the next couple of years? What? What? What would happen there? Any ideas? Is it totally up.
Speaker 16: In their Yeah, we're under contract with Utah and that's the situation right now, and and.
Speaker 6: Who knows what's what's what's up next? Then you know what.
Speaker 16: The things usually end up working out how they're meant to be right one.
Speaker 6: Way or another.
Speaker 16: But for for us in the moment, and I know that the organization in Utah was really really excited to see official, to have our same coaching staff, our same hockey operations group, our same trainers, and our same players back back with the road Runners.
Speaker 2: So the only difference now was driving a little further north to to get the team, you know, back and forth.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it's uh, there's there's three direct flights today from Tucson to Salt Lake City. So instead of hour and a half drive, it's an hour and a half flight, and you know, fifty percent of the time they're on the road.
Speaker 6: Fifty percent of the time were on the road.
Speaker 7: So it doesn't doesn't.
Speaker 16: Necessarily anything mean that it's going to affect really really anything that much. But there's there's three, uh three daily directs day from Saul like to Tucson and vice versa, and it's it's it's still an ideal, h ideal, easy way to get get players back and forth.
Speaker 2: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess when all this was going on, one of the things that made you, guys stay or whomever made you stay, h the fan base really really rallied behind the team and said we want them here.
Speaker 16: It was it was incredible. You know, our players saw it, the city saw it, our ownership saw it, our front office saw it, and we all we all wanted it, and uh, it was it was a big deal.
Speaker 6: And uh, you.
Speaker 16: Know, everybody everybody said how important that show of support. It wasn't just the support, but it was, you know, how how open and public it it was to say how much the fan base love the Roadrunners and and what a them here? And you know, it meant the world to us, Uh, seeing it in the stands are during our playoff games and afterwards, and we knew how they felt, but it really showed Tucson in southern Arizona in a great light to the hockey world.
Speaker 4: This is a little off off the path, but you know, I've been working on a story for for his Tucson magazine. We're doing a big piece on downtown and and talk to Glenn Grabski, who you know, general manage over to the DCC, And one of the things I was talked about was how important it was not only for the arena to get fixed up and all the kind of that, all that type of stuff, but then for the road Runners to be downtown and then that had really a huge impact on the revitalization that's taken taking place downtown, all the stuff that's happening down there. You guys have been there for that entire period that this has been going on. What's that been like for you guys to to kind of have a sense of that how important you've been to really just the overall things that are going on downtown.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it means it means the world to be Tucson's pro hockey team, and our offices are right down here.
Speaker 6: We're a block away.
Speaker 16: From from the TCC on Broadway, right right just past just past Stone and a beautiful building that's been redone and refurbished.
Speaker 6: And so we're.
Speaker 16: Downtown every every day.
Speaker 6: And we see it.
Speaker 16: And it's one of the first things I noticed when I when I came down here, was just feeling the buzz that you feel when you drive when you get onto to Congress.
Speaker 7: And and then there's a Starbucks going.
Speaker 16: Up across the streets from from our offices here, and I just drove by that probably an hour ago. I'm like, that is that is maybe one of the most unexpected things you'd ever expect.
Speaker 7: To see in Tucson, because you look at.
Speaker 16: All our local coffee shops and our restaurants and the theaters, and it's uh and there's a buzz to it and you and you felt it.
Speaker 7: And then COVID hit.
Speaker 16: And we were we'd stayed downtown. We're in the Presidio at the time, and and I was I was in our office every day and walking down to.
Speaker 6: The UPS store, you wouldn't see a soul.
Speaker 16: And You're like, oh, our downtown was so vibrant, and I've seen it in two years just really take off. And it was good when I got here. I got here for our third season and it was bouncy and but it I mean, by May twenty twenty one, we had a back and and you know what it's like driving downtown and we see in the middle of July and August, when there's nobody on campus.
Speaker 7: It's it's it's still hopping down here.
Speaker 16: And for us during during the season, you know, we we hear from.
Speaker 6: The restaurants, the.
Speaker 16: Traffic that comes in on a on a game night, and for us, obviously love that. You'd love to be downtown and especially and I've been in organizations where.
Speaker 6: You weren't downtown and you're kind of out in the suburbs or wherever. It's not the same.
Speaker 16: But when there's a game and I'm driving downtown at two three in the afternoon and it's packed and it's bumpered a bumper. Look at all those people downtown that can walk over and watch a game and extend the extend their evening.
Speaker 2: So Adri and you talked about the season starting in about a little over a month here, what's the process they go up to Salt Lake and they work out there and then whoever makes a team up there comes down here or doesn't make the team.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 16: We start our rookie camp this weekend. There's a tournament in Los Angeles hosted by the LA Kings for our rookies. The Ribbunners coaching staff, Steve Potman, John Planes, X Roteini you're leading that, and then they'll go into NHL Main Camp that'll start next Wednesday, and we'll be in Tucson on September twenty ninth, September thirtieth.
Speaker 7: Ready for our first practices and.
Speaker 16: Our preseason action on the road in Henderson will be that following weekend, the first weekend in October.
Speaker 4: So I was gonna say, how much do you know about what your roster's going to look like?
Speaker 16: More so than in previous years because as part of the rebuild that we were ongoing with with the Coyotes, they're now in year number four of that, starting their first year in Utah, and so they have developed a lot of depth and a lot of pieces, and they've acquired several assets as well. So going into this year and why we can look at our roster and have a pretty good idea of what it's going to be. The NHL roster is pretty set. We're not going into it like we were for a couple of seasons where half the team with fifty to fifty to eight the NHL team. The NHL team is pretty sets at this point with the amount of contracts that they have, and then you can look at it and see what's going to be down here, which is why we feel so good about all of the depth that we've got our second year, our third year AHL guys, our first year HL guys that we're going to see for the first time that have been drafted in the last year or so, and they've they've also added some some really good experienced veterans and leaders for for the hockey club.
Speaker 7: So looking at all.
Speaker 16: That is why we can say man Cochella, who finished in first play for us to your lost half of their team, and we've got all of our team back at this at this at this plus our prospects, we feel feel pretty good about it.
Speaker 4: And with the.
Speaker 16: Stability of the coaching staff back once again. We've had our same coaching staff really since since year number two here and even in year one, Steve pop And was involved in. John Flaney was an assistant coach with with Arizona. So we've we've we've we've had the same core and we've felt our culture and our expectations. And you know, going into this year, as I said, can can kind of tell who's who's going to be here to start just based on the amount of NHL contracts.
Speaker 2: So because there's souch, I hope as you as you said, what's the season ticket like?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Are they is that improving? And like you said, how can we find ticket sales? Now? How do if we wanted a ticket?
Speaker 16: Yeah, tickets at two Sunroadvenners dot com. Your single games. You can buy tickets for any of the thirty six games.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 16: We have flex UH flex vouchers available in packs of two, five for ten. We have our Weekender package which is for weekend games and of the full UH full season tickets. And he's got a company or an organization or youth team you want to bring out as.
Speaker 6: Part of the group.
Speaker 16: We've got group discounts there and and other experiences and it's all it's two sun Roadrunners dot Com.
Speaker 7: Just click quick.
Speaker 16: Tickets and UH you'll be in a good spot. But we saw a lot of season tickets. He's got a really good season ticket base. But the flex, the flex vouchers that are in two, five and ten is what really is really flying for us right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, super thank you Adrian. We last minute, you and Ju helped us. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Appreciate it.
Speaker 7: It's always my pleasure.
Speaker 6: Guys. Enjoy the rest of your day, have a good uh.
Speaker 7: Good weekend at football, and we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: All right, appreciate it, Appreciate it. Good, good, go out there. I might go out there this year for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're fun. The games are fun, and they really are. They're they're energetic, they're they're they're a lot of fun. It's they're they're good to see. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's take a break, Henry and take us out. We'll come back for a less portion on the other side. If you're an amazone man's back, well, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years now. Take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Lout It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lout is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 15: Hi, this is formal Wildcat Lemanhundly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, in your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space in your life.
Speaker 4: We offer a complete line.
Speaker 15: Of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training.
Speaker 4: To get you started to keep you going.
Speaker 15: Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 11: What's your goal? A new career or career advancement? How about your answering to a four year college? PEMA Community College can help you make someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from. In financial data available it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at pima dot edu slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve a Verra heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Temple or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio w APP. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jake and Salez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Why on the Ball Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Roberta. He's Jagan Zawas.
Speaker 6: You got a guy.
Speaker 2: Henry in for next but fourteen minutes, thirteen minutes. If you like small, we'd appreciate it. Five to zero, four one, six, seventy four forty. We do have a like lines opened. I've never said that ever here lines, but just call us. We don't know about the second line. We're still kind of shaky about that.
Speaker 4: Henry's guy has Henry's doing a great job as Ryan did yesterday. So yeah, all right, it's easy to it's very confusing.
Speaker 2: Well do you like it's Once you learn it, this place is gonna be pretty cool for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's not the basics studio like the last like.
Speaker 4: The last one. Well that you know why it was basic because it was ancient. Okay, by the time, like a nineteen seventy five studio.
Speaker 2: Henry, by the time you leave here, you're gonna get a job in radio in.
Speaker 4: The So yeah, no, I do that. Still, that's easy stuff. That's easy stuff. Yeah, so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So let me don't get a text. I didn't some guy, some guy I know, the guy, I won't say his name. He says to me about the line line and it kind of makes sense. Defensive the offensive line, it says, okay, uh, they have the guys on the line. They've been resting them to get them ready for this game. Not much depth there, but they're gonna be better. They're gonna be better because they've It's like, it's the equivalent of we can beat any of you with what we got, let's not get hurt any further.
Speaker 4: And that was that certainly was a thought, right that Okay makes sense, right, it makes sense that. Okay, you know because remember, okay, well.
Speaker 2: Let me finish this because okay, not much depth there, but this will be a better game than you think. Said Okay, darn I sound like Jay.
Speaker 4: He sounds reasonable, but sounds smart, really smart. Sounds really smart. But okay, let's go back again. And I think we said a couple times, let's go back to the press conference before the first game.
Speaker 2: I know what you're gonna And they asked.
Speaker 4: Him, he said, you know, are you are you holding anything back? And he said, we're gonna call the plays that we need to call to win the game. Guess what they did exactly. They won the game. You can take that however you want, right, You can take that as him saying no, we're gonna throw everything out there because you know, or you can take him take it to say, yeah, we're you know, we're we're we're gonna we're gonna do enough to win the game, and that's all we care about.
Speaker 2: And that was the right, good answer, because that's exactly what There's.
Speaker 4: A different ways to interpret that. And they're own two. I mean, they're two and zero, and again that's what they are. Are you unhappy that, you know, like Jim, that they didn't blow out nau Well, yeah, maybe you are.
Speaker 5: You have that.
Speaker 4: Unhappy you have that audio. There's a few of those. I mean, I wanted it to be a forty something to ten game.
Speaker 2: All the people you see on a Wednesday, let's say ten, I'm sure a few of them are like that.
Speaker 4: They were all like that.
Speaker 2: Oh you're the only one.
Speaker 4: They all like that. And I'm trying to walk them off the limb and say, guys, two and oh maybe there's one guy, one reasonable guy. We're two and oh you know, there's relax, two reasonable two of us in town. There's two of us in town. You know, relax. But there's also an understanding from there's some concern and an understanding for these guys that the offensive line is banged up and that you know, okay, but maybe it's not. Maybe some of these guys would have played in a more in a more critical game. Right, So maybe you're you're you're the guy who texted he was right.
Speaker 2: If we're hosting this show in uh Lubbock, Texas and we know what we know, we're not you're not an Arizona fan. You know what? You know what you've seen? Which way you're going with this game? On the surface, I don't know you're going with Kansas State minus the seven.
Speaker 4: Seventh a lot. I think if it's a three point game, you jump on Kansas State. But if you if all you know is what you know is the score. Okay, you know Arizona beat an Au twenty two to ten. You know, uh, Kansas State when one I what thirty four to twenty seven at Tulane. Yeah, you're probably gonna take uh, You're probably gonna take Kansas State because you're saying any of you and you only beat them by twelve, okay.
Speaker 2: In New Mexico the week before it was odd.
Speaker 4: But thirty nine points that you gave up you're probably okay, yeah, I'm gonna take Kansas State.
Speaker 2: So you're this is none of them saying that you're a little bias towards Arizona, but because you know a little bit more.
Speaker 4: But if I'm out there, okay, if I'm out there and it's seven and a half seven in the hook, I'm not sure that I'm taking it, taking or giving it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, And that's the smart play is not to do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah I'm not. I don't know that I'm playing either side of that. I'm gonna go find a different game.
Speaker 2: This has a lot of Mississippi stated it from last year because you didn't know how good Arizona was, right, and then they played really well, yeah in a bad way.
Speaker 4: Well they played bad, horrible first quarter, and then.
Speaker 2: They stuck with it, stuck with it, stuck with it, and they played You're thinking, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I don't think of it like that because at that time, we really really really didn't know anything about that team. Well you still look like we don't. But this is a game where if Arizona wins the game, you go, Okay, you know, you guys are pretty good. You know, I thought you had a shot to win the game. I didn't think they had any shot to be Mississippi State when they played when they played Misissippi State the first half, right, Well, just going into the game, I don't recall thinking Arizona can win this game.
Speaker 2: Well, because you didn't know anything about them exactly. I think Arizona can win this game. And what gives you that?
Speaker 4: Because they've got good players?
Speaker 2: Well what about? What do you know much about Kansas State? You know more tomorrow because you don't know much about it.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: I saw a lot of their game, you know why, because I had them in a moneyline parlay. So I was watching the game and I was getting pissed off that they were getting their asses kicked. You know. I kind of did that on purpose though, because I wanted to watch the game. I wanted to see what they looked like, and they were getting their asses beat and I'm like, when it was twenty to ten, I'm like, Arizona can beat these guys. And in fact, in fact, I was thinking Arizona should beat these.
Speaker 2: I think you sent me a text. Look at Kansas State. Yeah, yeah, with that toad right.
Speaker 4: Right, Like these guys suck. Yeah, we know they don't suck. Look, this is gonna be a This is gonna be a hard game for both teams.
Speaker 2: It could be the second toughest game of the year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this could be a hard game for Kansas State because I mean, Kansas State fans, I can't imagine are super happy about what they saw last week though.
Speaker 2: In fact, I know that Brian Peterson's group talked to another writer that we won't be talking about tomorrow, but they said thirty two to twenty four Kansas State. But of course guess where he where's he covered? Yeah, he's from over there. Sure, so you sure get that bias over there? Yeah, so yeah, we'll see you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I you know, I think that I think I think that what what what can happen is anything.
Speaker 2: Right, right? And it probably Arizona can.
Speaker 4: Blow them out. They can blow out Arizona and and or it can be a close game either way. Let's take this call. Hi are on the air Andine on.
Speaker 7: The ball boy, so fancy the call screener.
Speaker 2: No, you know you can't cuss.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, I'm not going to cuss at all. Just what I just got in. I was been talking on.
Speaker 6: Phone to segue.
Speaker 7: You know what I was thought you were talking about when they were blowing them out. Guess what I thought Jay would take the cups fan, I thought, my cup's blowing out your Dodgers, just like the night again, That's what I was thinking.
Speaker 2: What's the score now? Did it finish today?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 7: They play at seven? Yeah, the play tonight because they were playing. Boy, they're really missing Hernandez. But that guy actually won the home run or he didn't?
Speaker 4: He yes, he did, yes, he did.
Speaker 7: Only he hasn't hit any home runs hardly.
Speaker 4: The second half of the Bes hit plenty of home runs. He's doing just finally got I just looked at only got twenty eight. That's a lot of homers.
Speaker 7: I don't think so. Now, when you won the home run Derby, what do you mean Schwarber's got thirty five?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what the home run Derby is. It's such an off the charts kind of thing that means that means very little. It really does, so I know.
Speaker 7: But Schwarber's got thirty five.
Speaker 4: I hate I hate that.
Speaker 7: The Cubs, Well, we're gonna make up a bed. I mean it's it's it's a one and a half run lead. We're not going to need anything that one tonight? Wait you wait, Cubs again?
Speaker 4: What the Cubs are giving one and a half for getting one and a half.
Speaker 7: No, they're getting one and a half.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's weird.
Speaker 7: Okay, No, you're what you're hosting? Yeah, I know, and of course the over and unders nine.
Speaker 4: I don't even know who's throwing tonight, So I don't know that.
Speaker 7: I'll who's throwing because I don't know what our guys we got. Uh, okay, what's that guy's name? We got a guy that's peasident who's been on the injured list, Your guys some kind of I forgot who it is.
Speaker 4: It's I bet it's a bullpen game or something tonight.
Speaker 7: There. I think they're going to score nine runs. They're gonna be over.
Speaker 4: Would you put money on that?
Speaker 7: Oh? Yeah, I'm just it's gonna be over because we're gonna win. Well, you're getting one and that we're getting one and a half.
Speaker 4: You think you think that? You think the Cubs will sweep the Dodgers at home?
Speaker 7: Yes, we got yes, because we we needed to win every single game to get in a wild card.
Speaker 4: We're gonna sweep them.
Speaker 7: You know, you don't you know we're gonna.
Speaker 4: Sweep them, all right, I mean, okay.
Speaker 7: I got it. Just like your Dodgers, you would say, oh, I think you're going to sleep them. Here we are on the road.
Speaker 4: It's Bobby Miller. Ever, it's Bobby Miller. Okay. If you're pitching for the Dodgers, that guy is like a gas can on the on the mound. They're just they they're the He he's terrible. Yes, he's a dumpster fires. He's a seven point seventy nine ear. The other in his last outing, he gave up five runs before he got it out. So I'm not I'm not I'm not taking I may take the over on this, but I'm not taking the Dodgers, that's for sure.
Speaker 7: Anyway, the Cubs have been they've been lights out on the road. They've won nine out of ten on the road.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 7: They've they've not done good at in the field.
Speaker 2: Howard, Howard, we start our gig with the Soul here in a few weeks or maybe a couple of weeks. You might have to go down there and see us.
Speaker 7: Okay, Oh no, I was gonna go that one time, but you guys had the problems.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So we'll let you know we're getting figured out.
Speaker 2: We're letting people know we're gonna find out.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I want to go.
Speaker 2: You might get your drink. All right, thanks, thanks Howard.
Speaker 4: Well, since you spilled that, should we say it?
Speaker 2: We said it yesterday, did we Yeah, we said we're gonna we're gonna be there. We just don't know what days.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's right, we did say yesterday.
Speaker 2: We just we still don't know what days. But it's gonna be a Monday.
Speaker 4: We're gonna do one once a month down at the Casino Dell Soul, either on a Thursday or a Monday, to ahead of ahead of the NFL game on that night.
Speaker 2: We're getting that square to where you now speak with them. So it'll be nice to go down there and kind of fun shoot the ball down there.
Speaker 4: It'll be fine.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You may've never been in that place, right you have. It's nice. Yeah, it's it's nice. Yeah, nice, suspicious yeah, okay, so no, it's good. Yeah, No, I'm looking forward to it. It'll be fun. It'll be fun. We got how much time we have there, We had about two minutes. Okay, good, good. So tomorrow we're going to talk to war about the game.
Speaker 4: Kansas State, Kansas State, you got to write a writer from from one of the Kansas State Manhattan newspaper. Yes, I know we had a guy from Kansas State on it during the summer because from Manhattan. It was like we did it was the Manhattan newspaper, right, Yeah, this guy is.
Speaker 2: Tim Everson from the Manhattan Paper. You might have to look him up. I don't remember that name. It might have been somebody else, but he's the sports editor at the Manhattan Paper.
Speaker 4: No, that that was the guy.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure Tim Everson. Yeah, you're the guy who remembers.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think that was.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean he's on the borrow. We'll see who else. Maybe Jake will be on. He hasn't been in a couple of weeks and just his concerns. Jake not like us anymore. Well, he's a busy, busy guy. He loves this commercial. You know, he he gets he's helped you, he might help me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Jim Evererson, we had him, Okay, so yeh, he's the guy.
Speaker 2: That's maybe all why he said he could do it real quick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he loves us. People love us as soon as they meet us. Steve. It's once they get to know what they stop loving us, once they get to know you. Right, here's that mirror you drive our listeners and listeners and interviews away. Sure you don't you know you don't like wives and stuff. People.
Speaker 2: People are are creating big fake Facebook post.
Speaker 4: Sure. Yeah, okay, been a good day. But thank you Adrian Denny for stepping in last minute.
Speaker 2: Fantastic job.
Speaker 4: Nice job, buddy. They love the they love the phone screener. So what do you think of the studio? A lot nicer than I expected.
Speaker 2: We can't message done.
Speaker 5: I mean, these things wants to gut the TV and then Henry, you can't keep our crap here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have to take all our stuff with us every time. No more gronk bobble hood, no more soda gronk bobble heads at home, and yeah we're no more sodas, no more papers exactly. All right, let's get the heck out of here. Thanks for being here, and we will be back tomorrow. Tomorrow