Speaker 1: No one noticed two year old Shelley quietly slipping out the back door. She made her way to the pool, gripping the ladder as she began to climb.
Speaker 2: My daughter comes in. Mommy, Shelley's in the pool.
Speaker 1: Shelley, her two year old, was in the pool. Melissa raced outside and found her daughter pale and motionless on the ground.
Speaker 2: And I'm screaming, what happened? Somebody help? Call nine.
Speaker 1: This is the Miracle Files. I'm Emily Jones.
Speaker 3: And I'm Holly Worthington. We're two sisters who love a captivating true story, but we're also seeking more light in our lives.
Speaker 1: So we're on a mission to find and share unforgettable, uplifting stories of God's miracles. We hope you'll join us on this journey.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Miracle Files. We had one of our listeners actually reach out to us and share today's story with us.
Speaker 1: Yes, Melissa Ruiz shared this story with us, and I just have to say she is so brave because her story is traumatic and it's scary, but it's also so so good.
Speaker 3: It really is. And speaking of that, this may be triggering for somebody who has lost someone to a drowning accident, so please keep that morning in mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this story is truly gut wrenching, but the miracle is also undeniable.
Speaker 4: So buckle up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and maybe grab a Kleenex as well. Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 1: It was a muggy North Texas day in August twenty twenty two. Melissa Ruiz had worked the night shift. She never seemed to truly catch up on her sleep, but as a busy mom of six children, five of whom were still at home with her, Melissa had to keep going. Around five in the afternoon, her children came to her asking if they could go swimming in their above ground pool. Even though she was tired, she responded with an enthusiastic yes. Melissa loved spending time in the pool with her children and decided to join them.
Speaker 5: My oldest son was seventeen at the time. I had asked him. I was like, you're going to go swimming? He said yes, you want me to get them ready? And I was like, okay, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: While Melissa's son Alex helped the other kids get ready to go swimming, Melissa relaxed just for a minute on the couch. She hadn't intended to nap at all, but exhaustion overtook her. She blinked her heavy eyelids a few times, and then suddenly she dozed off. While Melissa slept and her children busied themselves changing into their swimsuits, no one noticed two year old Shy quietly slipping out the back door. With tiny, determined steps, she made her way to the pool, gripping the ladder as she began to climb. Suddenly, a voice broke through Melissa's sleep. It felt far away at first, Melissa opened her eyes. What was happening? Her daughter, Alicia had burst into the room, her face pale and eyes wide.
Speaker 2: My daughter comes in, Mommy, Shelley's in the pool.
Speaker 1: The words shot through Melissa's drowsiness like a bolt of lightning, sending her thoughts flying in all directions. Shelley, her two year old, was in the pool, her fun, spunky little toddler, her baby.
Speaker 3: Melissa jumped up.
Speaker 1: From the couch. She didn't even have time to grab a cell phone before she raced outside. It's hard to fathom the sheer terror Melissa must have felt when she reached her backyard and found her son, Alex trying to perform CPR on Shelley. Her two year old lay pale and motionless on the ground. The sight of her lifeless body sent a wave of despair crashing over Melissa.
Speaker 2: And I'm screaming, what happened? Somebody help? I'm like call nine one one? Where are my phones?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 2: I did not know where nothing was.
Speaker 1: The horrifying moment was caught on Melissa's security camera. In the video, you can see a shot of Melissa's front yard. Melissa's son Alex is on the front porch looking for Shelley. You can't see the pool, which is in the back, but you can tell the moment Shelley was found. And we'll warn you this recording is shocking and absolutely heartbreaking.
Speaker 6: Shelley.
Speaker 1: The screams were so loud that Melissa's sister, who lived next door hurt the commotion. On the security camera footage, you can see her sister running frantically to see what's going on. Other neighbors ran into the backyard. One woman yelled for someone to call.
Speaker 5: Nine one one.
Speaker 3: Then, in a panic, Melissa's.
Speaker 1: Sister scooped Shelley up in her arms and ran her out to the front yard.
Speaker 5: I don't know what my sister was thinking, but I was just frantic. I was just following her to the front.
Speaker 1: On the video footage, you can see Shelley's body lying like a limp rag doll in her aunt's arms. Melissa feared her baby was already dead. She showed no signs of life at all. Melissa's son, Alex, called nine one one as he spoke with dispatch. Melissa's best friend, who lived across the street, pulled up and offered assistance. She rushed over, gently taking Shelley and trying to pat the water out of her lungs. Yet all Melissa could think was that everyone needed to act faster. Everything felt surreal, sounds were muffled, and the world around her blurred as she focused solely on her daughter. Where is everybody? Where are the paramedics? She wondered, her heart raised as the enormity of the situation threatened to engulf her.
Speaker 5: My son was on the fallow with nine one one and the dispatch. Her wind up being my friend for years, She took the call.
Speaker 1: Melissa's friend assured Alex that an ambulance was on the way. Amid the chaos, time felt distorted. Each second stretched painfully as Melissa begged for help. Finally, after almost seven minutes, a firetruck arrived and as first responders took over, Melissa watched the firefighters du CPR on Shelley. Her tiny body had turned a haunting shade of blue. Melissa felt a desperation like she'd never felt before. A few minutes later, paramedics arrived and took charge, whisking Shelley into the ambulance and asking Melissa to wait outside. Melissa stood frozen, her heart pounding, desperate to know what exactly was going on in the ambulance and hoping for a miracle. Then something amazing happened that made Melissa's heart leap. A tiny voice called out from inside the ambulance. The paramedics hurried to get.
Speaker 5: Melissa, and then when they told me to come in, she's calling you. I go in the ambulance and I told her, Mommy's right here, baby, You're gonna be okay. Then she wasn't you know, no communication was coming out of her, but she was braving.
Speaker 1: Melissa had felt a flood of relief at hearing her daughter's voice, but Shelley's moment of consciousness was gone in an instant, Shelley still lay in critical condition. Time was of the essence, but again it seemed to stand still as the paramedics debated the best course of action. Where are they taking her? Melissa wanted to know. She silently pleaded for them to hurry and decide. Finally, they told Melissa they were going to airlift Shelley to a children's hospital, and drove Shelley to a nearby high school to meet the helicopter following the ambulance in her friend's car. Melissa's worst fears swirled in her head. She couldn't shake the image of her daughter's lifeless body. She felt so helpless, and then she thought of the one thing she could do. Melissa believed in the power of prayer, and right now she needed that power more than ever.
Speaker 5: I took a picture of us behind the ambulance. That's a picture I posted on Facebook, and I told him I didn't tell them what happened.
Speaker 2: I just told him to please pray for baby Shelley.
Speaker 5: And then I had everybody comment in prayers, prayers, prayers, prayers, prayers, prayers, prayers.
Speaker 1: With so many prayers for baby Shelley being sent heavenward. Melissa knew it was now in God's hands. She reached the high school parking lot. Emergency personnel hurried to transfer Shelley from the ambulance to the helicopter, but Melissa couldn't get close enough to see what was happening. Instead, she was left standing with police officers who were trying to gather information. Their questions barely registered in her mind.
Speaker 5: I don't know what to do, but just stand there and keep crying because I'm like, I don't know what's going on. I can't talk to nobody because they're way over there at the helicopter trying to get her in. I don't know what they're doing. All I know is they're going to children. And our deal was just to wait there, see her get on the helicopter, and we take off to Dallas.
Speaker 1: Shelley was loaded into the helicopter and Melissa's husband, who had been at work, was notified that she was being taken to the children's hospital. Melissa and her husband drove step as quickly as they could, which turned out once again to be excruciatingly.
Speaker 2: Slow, and it was rush hour downtown Dallas.
Speaker 5: Traffic was crazy, and Children's just on the other side of downtown Dallas, so like you have to literally pass through downtown, all that Dallas traffic around downtown to get towards the hospital.
Speaker 1: Finally, Melissa and her husband were reunited at the Children's hospital. They clung to each other for strength while trying to process the chaos of the day. The helicopter had touched down and the medical team had rushed Shelley into the ICU. Melissa and her husband were left anxiously waiting for news. Hours passed as Melissa battled with fear and guilt, wondering if there was something more she could have done to prevent this strategy. Meanwhile, doctors took X rays and worked on Shelley. They were concerned about the fluid that were maimed in Shelley's lungs.
Speaker 5: They said that she had pulmonary edema. Where they took the X ray and it showed all the fluid in her lungs.
Speaker 1: Shelley was eventually sent to her hospital room, where she lay ashen and motionless. She had gone over ten minutes without breathing, an eternity when considering brain damage can occur in just four Melissa wondered if she would ever have her sweet, spunky little girl back again. Night passed, and the weight of uncertainty pressed down on Melissa as the next day unfolded. Nothing went as expected, because Shelley was expected to have little to no improvement.
Speaker 5: They took another X ray and it was a lot less than what it was when they brought her in. And then when the doctor came in, when we're in the regular room, she was looking for Shelley.
Speaker 4: But where was Shelley?
Speaker 1: The hospital bed lay empty. The doctor looked around the room, confused, and then something extraordinary happened. She noticed a child playing near the hospital room window. Surely that couldn't be the same little girl who had just drowned, and yet it was.
Speaker 5: And at that point, Shelley's in the window, looking out the window, in her gown, jumping on the cows, looking out the window, and I'm like, girl, sit down, come on, sit.
Speaker 2: Down, you're gonna give me a heart attack.
Speaker 6: We're already here.
Speaker 2: The doctor walks in and she's like, Shelley.
Speaker 1: Melissa pointed to the child the playing near the window. The doctor couldn't believe it. It defied all logic, but that's the nature of miracles. Isn't it. They often defy logic.
Speaker 5: She goes, oh, wow, I was expecting her to be laid up in the bed, just out of it. She didn't expect her to be up, jumping around and smiling ear to ear like if nothing happened. And she's like, wow, this is a miracle because bed's here and she's over there.
Speaker 1: Melissa couldn't believe it herself. She felt overwhelmed with gratitude and couldn't help but smile, knowing that every prayer, despite the instance of doubt and worry, had led to this triumphant moment. This is some footage of Shelley in the hospital after she woke up.
Speaker 6: Shell.
Speaker 2: I that you I too, I love you more. I'm I bring them up Alma.
Speaker 1: Shelley was reunited with her family just two days after her accident, and as they left the hospital taking her daughter home alive and well, it still felt surreal to Melissa. Allie's recovery has been so miraculous that Melissa is glad she took some photos at the hospital with time stamps to document everything. She feels no one would believe her otherwise.
Speaker 5: It's mind boweling, like you would never think that this was her. If I didn't put dates, I think anybody would.
Speaker 2: Be like, oh no, that's not the day after.
Speaker 5: You know, you're lying, you know, And I would have to bring pullet up on my phone and be like, look, this is the time stamps of everything and where with you know, stuff like that. But yeah, I don't think anybody would believe that those pictures were right after each other, Like they wouldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: I don't believe it. But she left the hospital like nothing happened.
Speaker 1: Shelley's miracle story is beautiful, but there is something more we haven't shared that makes this story even more incredible. You may have wondered how the kids first found Shelley in the pool. Well, it was her twelve year old brother ad n I who actually found her. H He was questioned later by the police, and we'll play the footage. Bear in mind, you'll notice he's kind of yelling because this was right after the drowning and this had been a very traumatic experience for him. But pay attention to what he says to the police officer. Here's the exchange.
Speaker 7: We gotta know what happened so we can help her, and what's your name? Okay, look, hey, you're not in trouble. You just gotta know what happened. Look at me, look at me. That just gotta know what happened so we can help her. Okay, did you see what happened?
Speaker 6: No? No, I had a feeling that when I was putting on my little brother's blony that she was in the pool about any bloony, So then I went in there. I sold, I sold her drowning. Okay, so how long was she?
Speaker 4: Okay, if you didn't catch that.
Speaker 1: When the police officer asked ad and I if he saw what happened, ad and I responded that he'd been putting a swimsuit on his little brother when he had a feeling come to him that Shelley was in the pool. Later, he mentioned this to his mother as well.
Speaker 5: And he said that after all this happened, you know, he was like, something told me go check the poll. So he went out to the pole and that's when he found her at the bottom.
Speaker 1: Melissa believes that's something that spoke to Adney's mind and heart was God, and because of the feeling that ad and I had, he was able to find his sister within minutes. If she'd gone any longer, It's very unlikely she would have been okay even now. It's a miracle that she's doing so well. While you might think Shelley would have a lot of anxiety after experiencing something so traumatic, Melissa says it's been the opposite. Shelley has returned from this experience absolutely fearless and just loves life.
Speaker 5: She's the daredevil. I think she's like, I don't seen it at all. I've done died and I came back and I'm gonna live my life. I literally think that's what she thinks in her head, like I done died, I came back, and I'm gonna live my best life.
Speaker 1: Today, Shelley is a vibrant five year old, full of energy and laughter, swimming like a little fish and embracing every opportunity that comes her way. Melissa often looks back on the day she drowned and shakes her head in disbelief, grateful for the miracle that is her daughter.
Speaker 5: God has a purpose for her to be here. He has something for her for her life, like she's here for a reason and he knows what that res in it.
Speaker 1: In the end, Melissa and her family have learned that life is unpredictable, but with God's grace, even the darkest moments can be turned for our good. This experience has bonded their family and helped them all to want to be more like Shelley, embracing and enjoying every moment of life God gives them.
Speaker 3: So when Blake and I first listened to this one, Emily you had sent it to us. We listened to it in the car or we were driving to dinner, and afterwards neither one of us could even speak. We both had tears running down her faces and we were just silent.
Speaker 1: It's a really emotional one, especially for me. The most traumatic part was hearing the actual videos, the video footage super traumatic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it felt like my heart was being ripped out. But an a amazing miracle, this family experience. It's just incredible that this little twelve year old ad and I had a feeling just come to him and let him know that his sister was in the pool and that she needed to be rescued.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my gosh, listening to his video was just my heart went out to him because this experience was truly traumatic for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Melissa told us that she said that this has affected him more than Shelley even, But he's such a hero, and I hope he knows how amazing he is.
Speaker 4: Yes, for sure.
Speaker 3: And we actually got to meet Shelley, which was so cool. She's such a doll.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 4: She was so cute. And here's a clip of us talking to Shelley. Shelley, how old are you?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 7: Wow?
Speaker 3: Are you in kindergarten?
Speaker 2: It's a pre K four? I think?
Speaker 7: Ah.
Speaker 4: Okay, can you tell us what you like to do for fun?
Speaker 6: I chip.
Speaker 3: Kitchen? Do you like to cook?
Speaker 4: Wow? What kind of food do you like to make?
Speaker 3: Okay, Hey, I want you to come live at my house and make me some cake.
Speaker 4: Well, you're pretty cute, Shelly. It's so nice to meet you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so great to meet you.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: She is a horrible she is and Emily, I'm sure you would agree with me when I say she is a spitfire.
Speaker 1: She kept poking her head up out of the corner when we were interviewing her mom, and really.
Speaker 3: It was so funny.
Speaker 4: Come over here, we want to meet you. She was so cute.
Speaker 1: But I'm just so glad that everything turned out okay for her and I mean, it really is a miracle. As we were doing some research for this story, I read the children can drown in less than twenty seconds in water, and brain damage can occur in as little as four minutes. I mean, the fact that she came out of this unscathed, it's pretty miraculous.
Speaker 3: That is so fast, that's so so scary to think about.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's like one of my biggest fears. I'm sure all parents can relate to that fear. Yeah, and actions like this they can happen in an instant.
Speaker 3: It made me think about like my grandkids. You know, my oldest grandkid is only three years old, so when they come over, we are going to be thinking a lot more about water safety. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, I think stories like this also give me a lot of hope. Yeah, because even though you know their family went through this traumatic experience, I feel like God healed Shelley, not just her body, but he also healed her mind and healed her from the anxiety and fear that she could go through.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I agree, incredible, it is, and it helps me personally just to know that God truly does heal those things. He has the power to heal our anxiety, our fear, the trauma that we go through. He can heal us and comfort us through whatever it is we're going through.
Speaker 4: He is so good and so amazing and you can do anything.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 1: Well, we want to thank you guys for joining us today and make sure that you subscribe to our podcast wherever you get podcasts so.
Speaker 4: That you never miss an episode.
Speaker 3: And thank you again for all of your likes, follows, and shares. We appreciate you helping us to spread these incredible stories that definitely deserve.
Speaker 6: To be heard.
Speaker 3: Thank you for joining us. If you have a miracle to share, contact us at the Miracle files dot com or find us on Facebook.
Speaker 1: We're now releasing multiple episodes each month, so subscribe on your favorite podcast platform and YouTube for amazing video content.
Speaker 3: As we join us next time, as we discover more of God's miracles, and don't forget to look for His light in your own lives