Speaker 1: Parting the following podcastdays Gratis for a mature audience listeners.
Speaker 2: Just USh, Hey, what's up.
Speaker 3: How's it going.
Speaker 1: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicket and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 3: Welcome back.
Speaker 1: We're here again.
Speaker 3: Another Tuesday, Another Tuesday, another beer, true crimes story coming down the pipe.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm hmm.
Speaker 3: You got something cool for us today or what?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's well yeahct this one affected me, like it's like because it's a bit newer and it's kind of I don't know, I guess I could say it's relatable ish.
Speaker 3: It's relatable. Who those are the scary ones?
Speaker 1: I know, like it could happen to anyone. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: The shitty thing is most of these cases can happen to anyone. They can scary a lot of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one, I don't know, Like she's even the same age as me. So I'm just like, I don't know, it's just a lot. It's a lot, fair enough, And today was a stat holiday in uh BC, Canada, some parts of Canada, not all of Canada, but in our.
Speaker 3: Province, British Columbia. It's sure as Hectada was so, how was your day off? It wasn't a day off. It was a lot of work. Still, we never sleep, we never work. We're just go, go go twenty four seven.
Speaker 1: I know. It's actually so funny because next week, next Wednesday, I think, actually I'm planning to have a day off.
Speaker 3: Like that's awesome.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, so that's like a week away. I'm planning every day off. I can't even remember the last night a day off. And it's like if someone emails me a business related question that day, I'm gonna trauma.
Speaker 3: Hard is not to answer, Yeah, peace out, not answering. Nicole is on vacation mode.
Speaker 1: Good one day. Oh, let's see if I can do it. Is I'm a workaholic.
Speaker 3: Next week I'm not even home the entire week. You get this giant, tiny house all to yourself for a week.
Speaker 1: It will definitely feel a bit bigger.
Speaker 3: It will. You'll be the only one in it.
Speaker 1: No, I won't be.
Speaker 3: Well, you got doggos in Kiwi, of course, but that's a full house. You'll be the only human being, the only person individual of human origin. I'm like, super Jelly, it's gonna be and jelly sandwich. Yeah, that's gonna be blast. I need to get away, yeah, because I'm heading down to Vancouver for some work training stuff. So I have a whole week where I'm basically like a nine to five going through a training course, and then after that sitting in my hotel room, probably eating a lot of ramen, getting the tattoo while I'm down there. What else, I'll probably be doing a lot of true crime research while I'm down there.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's how you're going to spend your evenings, eating rawmen and research and true crime most definitely, and getting a tattoo that actually sounds like ben.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a good time. Oh oh oh. And the best part of it all, I'm staying one extra day. Oh yeah, I have to go see a concert for people that are a band that I'm like in love with. Positive note to it. It is vaccine Passport, so it's like COVID friendly environment.
Speaker 1: But it's small, right it is.
Speaker 3: Their venue only holds two hundred people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's gonna be sweet.
Speaker 3: If you guys want to go look it up. It's a Canadian band called the Real Mackenzies. They are a Celtic punk rock band, lots of bag pypes and just good times.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, you're gonna have a blast.
Speaker 3: I'm pumped. But before we before I head down there, we got to record our episode early this time around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is actually sweet. I love recording it early.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got to be doing that more often.
Speaker 1: We say that literally every episode we do. But next one will be recorded early because if it's not, it won't be coming out exactly. And with that, don't we have some amazing patrons to.
Speaker 3: Think we do. All those amazing people who are supporting supporting us over on Patreon and those who signed up this week we have Rebecca Ryan love the spelling of her name, by the way, for their name r E b e k a h for Rebecca.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's do. That is dope.
Speaker 3: Shenise C Commer, Okay, Jody Toss Freud toast shred. Your last name is really difficult to say. It's putting me in a talking twister. T O F s r u D tofstred tofstred.
Speaker 1: I think I'm sure you got it, That's what I'm But honestly, I just have to say something really really quickly. It's funny because sometimes if we pronounce people's name wrong and the actually it's hilarious. I know so, but we do try. We really want to pronounce.
Speaker 3: We're literally trying our best, So laugh at us or not. I mean, we're trying our best. That's all we know. Yeah, we enjoy it if you enjoy it, So that's all we care about. And Jackie Moran Zen Morazen, Morasin Morazin.
Speaker 1: Oh man, you had a tough time this time, some difficult names out there. There were some difficult names. But nonetheless, thank.
Speaker 3: You so much, Yes, thank you so much for being amazing and supporting us over on Patreon. If you want to do the same thing as these incredible human beings, just find a LinkedIn our description of the podcast. You can support us over there.
Speaker 1: And speaking of patrons, actually this case that I'm covering today was recommended by one of our patrons, Sarah Granby.
Speaker 3: Sarah, Sarah's been like super talkative with us, which were Yeah, she actually sent us a super awesome list of awesome recommendations and I'm probably going to do many of them.
Speaker 1: So thank you, Sarah. You're awesome, awesome, awesome. Okay, are we ready? Oh my godness, are we ready.
Speaker 3: Are you ready?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I always getting nervous.
Speaker 3: You get nervous, knees weak, arms are heavy, these vomit on your slit already.
Speaker 1: Don't even have elk. I'm drinking out chocolate.
Speaker 3: Okay, you have boozing it, don't you?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I do? Actually, God, Okay, So I'm starting this one a bit different. I'm going to set a scene.
Speaker 3: Set that scene. Let's hear it.
Speaker 1: And I think it's a scene a lot of us could find quite relatable. Uh oh, it's October third, twenty twenty one in London, England.
Speaker 3: That is relatable, is it? Have you been there that exact day? Yes? No, not even close.
Speaker 1: And the city is in its third lockdown COVID nineteen rules and regulations have basically been going on for over a year at this point. These lockdowns are especially hard on you, as you live alone and you're quite lonely the streets of your normally bustling city or quiet, a quiet that has been all too familiar as of late, but something you'll never quite get used to. The opportunity to join your friend for dinner presents itself, so you jump at this opportunity. You're in your early thirties. You're in your prime and you've been lacking social interactions lightly, so human interaction would be good for you. You start your commute to your friend's house, walking the two and a half miles, enjoying the fresh air as you go, stopping at one point to grab a bottle of wine. Once you arrive at your friends, you have a wonderful evening visiting and catching up, but the evening has to come to an end and it's time for you to head home and walk the two and a half miles back to your flat. It's about nine o'clock and your friends tell you to text. Your friend tells you to text her once you arrive home so she knows you made it safely. This is just a precaution. What could honestly go wrong On your way home. You call your boyfriend to check in and make plans to meet the following evening. About halfway home, you're approached by a man. A bus camera captures the two of you standing next to a parked white car with its hazards on. The man shows you his identification, indicating that he's a police officer. He tells you that you've broken COVID nineteen restrictions by being out and having dinner with your friend and he arrests you. Being that he's a police officer and in a position of authority, clearly you've done something wrong. Here you're handcuffed and placed in the car to be escorted to the nearest police station, so you thought. But as you approach the police station, and then you pass the police station, a knot grows in the pit of your stomach and you sense something is wrong. Your friend didn't receive a text from you that night letting you know you arrive safely, and your boyfriend he also didn't meet up with you the following night because you didn't arrive, and at this point it was known something was not quite right. Shit, yeah, that sets the CNA.
Speaker 3: Wow, well done.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, Oh my gosh, it just like this case affects me so much.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 1: So this is the story of Sarah Everard.
Speaker 3: Oh I've heard that name.
Speaker 1: Shit, okay, okay, yeah, And it's a doozy. You ready?
Speaker 3: I don't know. We always say that, Are you ready? I don't fucking know. But we're gonna do it anyways, whether we're.
Speaker 2: Ready or not, we're gonna do it.
Speaker 3: Okay, buckle your seat belts, ladies and gentlemens and days and thems. Let's do this thing so.
Speaker 1: Sarah Everold was born in Surrey, a country in southeast England, on June fourteenth, nineteen eighty seven, but she grew up in York. She studied human geography at Saint Culbert's Society, Durham University from two thousand and five to two thousand and eight. She would be described as a beautiful, strong, and incredibly kind human, an exceptional friend, dropping everything to support her friends whenever they needed, and personally from seeing photos of her that during my research, she honestly just looked like she was a breath of fresh air, someone you would want to spend time with and get to know. Wow, like an amazing human. Just sounds like it, just from my researches, Like this person sounds like an amazing human.
Speaker 3: Why is it that, like all this shitty stuff just always happens to such nice, like care free individuals. I don't know. It's like, oh, you wouldn't hurt a fly, Well your fucking turned to die?
Speaker 2: Like what I know?
Speaker 1: I think that's why I like Dexter so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, kidding because it's actually like his victims are terrible people, right, so it's like a little bit easier to swallow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we need to do that real life like Dexter case.
Speaker 1: Oh right, there is one, isn't there? Yeah, my gosh, I should do that. I'm like literally obsessed with Dexter. I want to rewatch the whole series.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's associated with Dexter in any way, but he definitely killed serial killers. That was his target.
Speaker 1: Wow. So so the time of the incident that I described above, Sarah was only thirty three years.
Speaker 3: Old, same age as us.
Speaker 1: Yep, shit, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is that a bad omen?
Speaker 1: No? I just think that's really young. She had a lot of life to live still.
Speaker 3: No kidding, unless she is anything like me, where she might be thirty three, but her body feels like it's like seventy old.
Speaker 1: I know. As I'm literally sitting here because I've been researching like a lot of the day, my back is killing me. Right, I seriously think I'm like sometimes an thirty year old and like an eighty year old body. But that's okay. Maybe if I hit the gym more and like did yo good stuff, that'd be helpful.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a lot of work. Though, that sounds like a lot of effort. I'd rather just drink a beer.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, we need to go to the gym, mark we do so. Living in Brixton Hill, an area of London, Sarah worked as a marketing marketing executive for a digital media A can see. So I think that's also like kind of why that resonated with Yeah, because for people that don't know, I actually studied marketing in post secondary so it's like and she was clearly very good at her job as she climbed the corporate ladder. Once Sarah failed to meet her boyfriend on the evening of March fourth, he reported her as missing and the search was on. Family and friends gathered to find their beloved Sarah, but feared the worst. This was very much so out of character for her. Friends started changing their profile pictures on social media to find Sarah Everard ever Art.
Speaker 3: It's really cool how social media can have a presence like that and actually rally people to do some good.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, so, Susans, this is like so new It totally would have probably played a role. I don't feel like I remember this happening, but I should because yeah, there's like it made its way all the way overseas and everything. Like a lot of people knew of this, right, So in the police well, they started examining CCTV footage to see if they could piece together Sarah's last steps. I've heard this term before, but CCTV stands for closed circuit television, and in the article I read, London was described as being the CCTV capital of the world, saying the average Londoner is caught on CCTV three hundred times a day day.
Speaker 3: I was like, holy, that's impressive. It. Yeah, CCTV is like like those old box TVs that like security cameras and stuff use original art. Kids use CCTV's Like, yeah, they're heavy as fuck. I know.
Speaker 1: I'm just thinking, like, on my day day, I could probably go not being caught on any camera really potential.
Speaker 3: What's your same day basis you sit here in the tiny home, when you go to like a meadow to shoot photography, and then into your studio, which is your personal space. Yeah, maybe occasionally you'll go get a hot chocolate down the coffee shop or sushi, so maybe on that yeah, on security cameras at the coffee shop and sushi shop. That's where you'll find the call. So if you ever go missing, those are the two first places I'm in a check for footage.
Speaker 1: Well there's other ways. So London CCTV is a mixture of government surveillance, business security, and private home CCTV. So like even like the doorbell I think is a doorbell camera? Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So, needless to say, the police had a lot of potential information at their fingertips tips, but it would take some time to go through. But as they put Sarah's steps together, they would eventually find something, and that was the plate of the white car that was parked next to Sarah.
Speaker 3: Shit, they got the plate and the man.
Speaker 1: She was having the conversation with on her walk harm so they got a clear picture and yes the plate.
Speaker 3: Fuck yes, like boom, yeah, this motherfucker is going down.
Speaker 1: The car was a rental car, and the man who had rented the car that evening was one of their own, Wayne Cousins, who was an active police constable and firearms officer who was serving with the Metropolice. The met is what I might refer to them as oh.
Speaker 3: Shit, so he was an actual officer active.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: Wow, so he completely took advantage of his authority. Wow, fucking douche bait.
Speaker 1: Like he's a monster, He's nasty, disgusting human being. And I couldn't say enough terrible things about him what she said. I could have gone more. I decided not to swear in that tent, and so I could have gone a way deeper there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't like this guy at all. Already, Like, fuck this dude.
Speaker 1: Mm hm, no, we don't like him. I'm sure you could imagine this. But oh, where was I here? But oh, this was not what they were expecting to find. They were not expecting to find that this dude she was talking to was one of their own.
Speaker 3: Well, who would expect an authority figure like that who's supposed to be there to serve and protect the tablic yeh is the one who's actually like causing.
Speaker 1: This shit exactly, Which brings us to the beginning of the story and what happened to Sarah. On February twenty eighth, twenty twenty one, just days before Sarah's disappearance, Wayne reserved a white car from a rental company in Dover, England. I think it was enterprise. He had also previously purchased some materials from Amazon, materials such as handcuffs to mimic what a police set of handcuffs would look like, and a role of very strong self adhesive film.
Speaker 3: Wait, he how do you get the handcuff story?
Speaker 1: Amazon?
Speaker 3: Amazon? Why didn't he just use his own?
Speaker 1: I know, I wasn't one hundred percent certain about that, but it seemed like at because another thing I read at one point he was like candying in his things, like, so, I don't know, maybe they didn't get to take them home with them or something there, Okay, which would be a good thing.
Speaker 3: Really, And I wonder about his badge.
Speaker 1: Then well he still had some sort of identification that he showed up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh clearly.
Speaker 1: So. So this basically indicates that the crime he was about to commit was premeditating, no kidding. A March second, Wayne would complete his shift, a twelve hour shift ending on March third at seven in the morning, and that was the day that Wayne was waiting for. That was the day he had reserved his rental car for fuck, being that he wasn't scheduled to work again until March eighth. He told his family, Yes he had a family, A wife and two small kids. Fuck, which I just despise.
Speaker 3: This guy's a monster. Fuck this guy.
Speaker 1: So he told them that he picked up an overtime shift for the night so he could go about his evening as he had planned without having to worry about his family wondering what he was doing. Right.
Speaker 3: Fuck classic late tonight, honey.
Speaker 1: I know, yeah, but generally it's well not then an affair is better to get away, to do something.
Speaker 3: Shady, Yes, to be a shitty fucking human being.
Speaker 1: Yeah. As Wayne drove from Dover to London, stopping at one at one point to purchase hairbands, it wasn't determine what the hairbands were exactly for. I don't even know I put this in there, but speculated either to maintain an erection or as a means of restraint. I don't even know what the ship. Let's just let's move forward so he couldn't get hard. I don't know, Ben, but I don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 3: He's got a rectile dysfunction.
Speaker 1: He's in his forties. I think I don't know when that shit starts.
Speaker 3: I mean, it affects everyone differently, and I don't want to make fun of everyone who does from it. But I don't want to make fun of this guy, because this guy.
Speaker 1: It's nothing to be made fun of at all. But okay, so yeah, I'm just not going to go there. I was like, I don't I was gonna almost google that, but I just decided not to. So he would then start start, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't want to google that.
Speaker 1: Especially if I, yeah, get you googling. What would I use a hair tye for on my dick? Like, I don't even know how you would wear.
Speaker 3: That was a whole sentence that you just said on our podcast.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, okay, he would, oh my gosh, okay. He would then start his hunt, driving around, hunting for a lone woman, lone young woman to kidnap, which.
Speaker 2: Is when.
Speaker 1: Sarah and Wayne's pass crossed. At nine thirty four pm. Wayne stopped Sarah, Sarah showed her his police Weren't card, and handcuffed her, claiming that he was arresting her for breaching COVID nineteen guidelines if she actually had, I honestly could not find that information out like I really searched, but I'm thinking she did not. If it was similar to how it was here that would not have been breaching guidelines because I know if you were alone in your household, you were allowed to go visit like other people. And at that point when she was stopped, she was literally just like out for a walk on the street. Yeah, and I don't think that.
Speaker 3: Would ever be No, you're allowed to walk unless there was a curfew maybe in place.
Speaker 1: Oh, it could have been a there could have been curfews. I did here, there's curfews at places anyway. I did try to find that and I could not. But what, oh where I keep losing my light spot here.
Speaker 3: It's easy though, when you get off on a tangent or something like that, because you're just like kind of scrolling and then your eyes leave your screen used to happen away and.
Speaker 2: You look back.
Speaker 1: So I feel you thank you for putting on there, because I was like, seriously, well, I.
Speaker 3: Know that's why I kept talking. So I gave you a moment to catch up and figure out where you were. Little tip of the trade on what we do behind the microphones.
Speaker 1: There you go, Okay, Well, something I did find though, was that because I don't know if that was really something that could be happening in BC or Canada. But over there the police had the power to arrest people who were breaking COVID rules. Okay, I don't think that was the thing here. I don't. I don't know. I'm not really going to go into.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they could arrest, but maybe they could all like issue a citation.
Speaker 1: I think yeah, But really was she going to resist arrest? He was a legit, legit police officer, right and had the badge and everything to prove it. During the conversation or altercation, whatever you want to call it, Wayne and Sarah were captured twice by CCTV. The first at oh I put twenty one thirty five, which is what time nine thirty five? Well done, booming for a moment, So at nine thirty five showed them beside the rented car, and at nine thirty eight, which was the capture, you could identify the rented car's plate number, so they were shown twice. They had also been spotted by someone driving by who witnessed Wayne actually handcuffing Sarah, but they didn't do anything about it because they just had thought it was like an undercover police officer making arrest. Like I don't know, I don't think anyone would probably be stopping right No, I.
Speaker 3: Mean if she didn't make a scene or anything like that right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, because I don't think she thought anything was wrong exactly. Then Sarah and Wayne were gone. And this is so in trust in me, Like, how can anyone get away with anything? There? Like, I guess that My one thing is I I don't understand how Wayne actually thought he could get away with something in this era when there is so much SHECTV like, it just doesn't make any sense to me. But unlike heading to the police station like Sarah expected, Wayne had other plans for her. And these are the kinds of plans that will break your heart. Fuck, and there we go.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 1: At eleven forty three, CCTV footage capture Sarah and Wayne in Dover. This is where Wayne would transfer Sarah from the rental car to his own personal car. Wayne then drives Sarah to a remote rural area nearby that he was very familiar with, and we'll touch more on this later, where he rapes Sarah and supposedly using his police belt, strangles Sarah to death.
Speaker 2: Fuck.
Speaker 1: The official cause of death was from compression of the neck. Wow, oh my god, Like it's just disgusting. I just can't even fathom. At what moment, you know, did she realize like shit, like what's happening here? And notice that she was in danger and all for what?
Speaker 3: Just because he needed to get his rocks off? Like fuck?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like he just he was like a sexual predator. Really.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he killed her because he didn't want to witness. Yeah, just because he couldn't jerk off himself anymore.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. So at two thirty five, two thirty four in the morning, Wayne purchases drinks from a Dover gas station. There's no way of officially knowing, but it's believed that by this time he had already killed Sarah. Between three twenty two and six thirty two, Wayne is captured returning to the scene of the crime a couple of times, until he switches back to his rental and returns it around eight thirty. He then drives a considerable distance to Sandwich, Kent to dispose of Sarah's phone in a river, before returning home at a time that made sense, as though he had just ended his shift at work later that morning making dental appointments for his kids, like it was just a normal fucking day. Wow, like a real winner. See that's one thing actually that bog was my mind, that you can commit such a horrific act like you're disgusting him being, and then you just go on your day to day life, right, like you go home to your kids, for Fox's sakes, when you just murdered someone's kid.
Speaker 3: He's probably honestly happy with himself thinking he's getting away with this. He just had a fucking, in his opinion, a great fucking evening, which is just disgusting to think about. And yeah, he's just he's probably in a good mood, honestly.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't want to even think about that. It was later that day that Sarah was officially reported missing to police after failing to meet her boyfriend, and the search started the following day. On March fifth, Wing continues going through the motions of his plan. He hits up a gas station where he buys an empty gas can, fills it with gas. The gas I'm sure you're imagining to burn Sarah's body. He burns her body, along with her possessions and clothing, in an old, abandoned refrigerator so smoke could be seen in the general area that Sarah's body was later found taking a sip of my drink.
Speaker 3: Wow, So I wonder, like, was it reported at all that fire? Was it just like, oh, there's just someone burning some shit over there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't it didn't say that it was reported. I think it was probably reported after the fact, after like details started coming out potentially, right, and it's like, oh, well maybe oh yeah I saw that small yeah fuck because like I mean, if I just saw like little smoke in the yeah, unless there was like a fireband, I don't think I would do anything about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, And I mean it could be a little bit different over there is to hear. I'm not too sure what their normality for fire smoke on the bushes or anything, or if they have like a bush where people go have fires or what.
Speaker 1: But here a lot of people have fires often.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's it's not abnormal to sease smoke billowing up from the.
Speaker 1: Bush pe even probably when there's fire bands. Yes, which is disgusting. Yes, Okay, Well Sarah's body burned. He went about his day once again, purchasing food and making a vet appointment for his dog. Like what a literal asshole? Oh yeah, Like I mean I've already said this, but the s guy's just an asshole, and I don't think I can say it enough. He would later move her body using two builders bags he had purchased, to a near by pond in Howard's Wood. There this is where her body would eventually get found.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad that she did get found, though, because a lot of missing women like this, they just they're missing and they don't get found. Even if they get found it's years later, right, which I mean.
Speaker 1: I think that would be worse for the family that you just want closure, I think. But then I guess that you have a little bit of smedge of hope if they're not found. But Hugh, that just the way it would affect your day to day too, especially if they're already deceased. You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gosh, I think getting found is better than not getting found.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, if they're dead, yes, so.
Speaker 3: Well, no, getting found is better not getting found period, dead or alive.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I get it. I think we're on different pages or something.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, if if there's a missing person, it's good for them to be found.
Speaker 1: Found, Okay, dead or alive?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, Okay, you said if they were dead. You specifically made that clarification.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, I just meant because if they we're still alive, like you'd rather them be alive. Okay, I'm not thinking anything at all. Okay, where am I going with that?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Basically, I'd rather them instead of just being found dead, I'd rather than just be alive. Oh yeah, right, but then it might not necessarily be like alive in the best of the situations either, So I don't know. Fuck. We want people to be home and be safe and cozy and happy.
Speaker 3: Watching Netflix with a blanket.
Speaker 1: You know, drinking hot cocal hells.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what we want on Wicked and yes, that's what we're rooting for here.
Speaker 1: Okay. So on March sixth, the Wayne isn't set to be back to work for a couple of days. He phones in and reports that he's suffering from stress and no longer wants to carry a gun. Something interesting with that that I should mention is not all police officers in the UK carry guns. Did you know this?
Speaker 2: ID?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, you have to be specifically trained, which I was like, whoa, because in Canada I think all police officers have a gun. Do they not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they all generally carry a sidearm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't know if that's some I think that's similar in the US too, But so I was just like, wow, I had no idea. Okay, the following day on March seventh, Oh my gosh, this is really messed up. But Wayne takes his family to Hoddswood. What yes? Why so the crime actually took place on a small pot of land owned by Wayne and his wife. They owned a pot of land out there. This guy is stupid, So days after he raped and murdered someone, why would it not be a good idea to take his family up to the site, right, Like, what an idiot? Because how traumatic is that going to be for your children who are later going to one day learn how much of a fucking monster you are and that you did this?
Speaker 3: No shit, And also like, don't return to the scene of the crime. Don't commit a crime on your own fucking property. How dumb is that? Don't commit a crime to begin with? But you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if it was like one hundred percent on his property because he did move the body, right, well, so report said that it was, and then he moved it away, but because Sarah's body was found approximate one hundred meters from the family's plot of land, so it's like.
Speaker 3: Pretty much that's basically his property.
Speaker 1: But him taking his family there, he was doing that for a reason, right, Yeah, because he was doing that to wipe away or to basically have an alibi of why his car might have Yeah, some remnants is of that area on it. Yeah, exactly, So I mean he was being smart, I guess. Like, Ugh, on March eighth, Wayne would call him sick for work, and on March ninth, a very good day, Wayne would be arrested. Yes, the police had been working hard piecing together Sarah's last steps, and approximately seven fifty Wayne was arrested at his home in deal Kent. And he must have known this was coming because not even an hour earlier, he wiped all the data from his phone, but it was still linked through through cell site data and the white car he had rented, so like they still had him doing that. Like, what an idiot? I just think everything he does as an idiot.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's just an idiot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so just you wait too until you hear the story. The story he comes up with.
Speaker 3: Oh, God, let's hear it. Let's hear this.
Speaker 1: You're going to talk about it in a minute. In a minute, you'll hear okay. But the following day, March tenth, police searching Hoddswood find human remains. It took a couple of days, but the body was identified had to be identified through dental record as being Sarah. Now, when Wayne was initially arrested, it was on suspicion suspicion of kidnapping. They didn't find Sarah's body until the day the following day. As Wayne was interviewed, he initially said he had never met Sarah, had only seen photos of her on the news, But he quickly changed this tune and made up quite the story.
Speaker 3: Let's hear the bullshit he fed them, the absolute bullshit. Let's hear it.
Speaker 1: He claimed he was having financial problems, that a gang of Eastern Europeans were after him and threatening him and his family, demanding that he delivered them another girl. He said he had hired a sex worker a few weeks prior and underpaid her, so they were demanding this of him. So he was omitting to kidnapping Sarah and handing her over to this gang. But that when he did so, she was still alive. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Fuck that.
Speaker 1: Do you think that anyone would believe that?
Speaker 3: No, that seems very broad, very vague, and very.
Speaker 1: Guilty because even when the police like had more questions about it, or we're saying, okay, well do you have their contact information? Like how are they reaching you? Like, he couldn't provide any of that information. Nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I was going to say. He has no way of connecting it, no way of even being like, this is the car they drove, this is what they looked like, how many were there, what they talked like, with the clothes they were wearing, with their haircut, nothing, just very descriptive of some European dudes who wanted money. So that to me sounds very much like trying to make something up. The mafia is after me for money.
Speaker 1: And it's almost curious. I'm curious. Did he not think that he was going to get caught? Like did he literally think that he had this the bag? Probably he he have no idea why like this, the amount of cameras around.
Speaker 3: Dude, he probably just assumed he was getting away with it. And then the moment before when he did delete his phone, like the hour before something probably tipped him off on the news or whatever. He was like scrambling to make shit up and try and cover his tracks.
Speaker 1: And so interesting that you said he thought he would just get away with it because you'll hear something and I never even like put the two and two together. But he does other shit that he gets away with, like just easy peasy. Oh really prior to this, which we'll talk about in a moment. Okay, So even with this bogus made up story, after the discovery of Sarah's deceased body so close to land owned by Wayne, he was charged with Sarah's kidnapping and murder on June eighth, Wayne, which I do like, actually pleaded guilty to the kidnapping and rape of Sarah, admitting responsibility or her death.
Speaker 3: That's the first fucking decent thing he's done, So he didn't.
Speaker 1: Keep making up garbage stories and let this cost a shit ton of money. He just guilty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was probably out of like his lawyer telling him to do so, to try and get a lesser sentence is probably why. So it wasn't out of like actually admitting it. It was probably a selfish reason.
Speaker 1: Well, because I think there was no way he could be getting out of it either. Yeah, there's nothing guilty.
Speaker 3: You might get less time, that's probably all it was.
Speaker 1: Oh I hate that he and Sarah were complete strangers and were unknown to each other prior to her abduction. The choice of victim was random, but the attack was planned. Sarah was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But being that she was literally just walking home and Wayne was out on the hunt, someone worded it as he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. And I like that because Sarah didn't do anything.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Right, So why say she was in the wrong place? She was literally living her life walking home from an evening with a friend. Yep, So fuck Wayne.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: I'm just so Angryne, I'm so angry with him.
Speaker 3: Fucking Wayne.
Speaker 1: Before Wayne's official sentencing, the MET dismissed him from the service effective immediately, thank.
Speaker 3: You, Yeah, rightfully.
Speaker 1: So yeah. They would also announce that lone plain clothed officers would no longer be deployed.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 1: So that's good. Wayne was sentenced to a whole life order, with Lord Justice full forward, justifying the severity of the punishment by saying that Wayne's use of his position as a police officer today detained Sarah was the vital factor, which in my view makes the seriousness of this case exceptionally high one hundred because I don't necessarily think he would have got in this whole life order. But the judge thankfully was like a reasonable person and gave it to him good. The judge remarked there had been significant planning and premeditation. Wayne had long plan to carry out a violent sexual assault on a yet to be selected victim who he intended to coherse into custody, noted the judge, at least a month traveling to London from Deal where he lived, to research how to best carry out this crime, like he studied, Like it wasn't just a split decision I want.
Speaker 3: To do this, And for that much studying, he couldn't come up with any fucking better shit to alibi, like nothing, no backup plans other than oh the muff use after me for money? Like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: I know, yeah, technically he should have, but I'm glad he's dumb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's real dumb. Fuck you, Wayne, I know, fucking Wayne.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm not going to go into a ton of detail, but there are some some more noteworthy things to discuss, first being that there may have been some red flag incidents involving Wayne that were not handled or investigated properly. The incidents being indecent exposure incidents. Oh shit, one in twenty fifteen and one just days prior to him kidnapping Sarah. Really they were incidents that involved Wayne driving around his car wearing nothing from the waist down, so like just pantiless, and the most recent one involving him going through the drive throughout McDonald's like this, are you kidding me? No, Like that's what he did. It's disgusting.
Speaker 3: And the police force he worked for didn't do anything about that.
Speaker 1: No, Like it was found out that it was a police officer base connected to Wayne, and yeah, like nothing was done.
Speaker 3: Lay fuck.
Speaker 1: So if they had investigated this properly, he may not have been available to commit the crime against Sarah, right like because that one had just happened. Wow, Like I think that's almost you could go to jail for that probably assume like that's a crime, Like you are making some poor p probably little teenager at McDonald's, Like see your.
Speaker 3: Wiener, see your erectile dysfunction, disgusting, disgusting, like I just couldn't even imagine.
Speaker 1: I actually worked at Tim Horton's.
Speaker 3: And if I saw shit like that, just seeing old man's wiener in the drive through.
Speaker 1: I I actually don't know what I would do. Quit, Okay, I would hope you'd quit if you saw that shit. Now though, as being like an adult, I feel like you do such different things. And if you saw it as like hot coffee, as like a fifteen year old, right, yeah, so I don't know. I don't know, okay, And this is disturbing. He had been nicknamed by his colleagues at work the rapist.
Speaker 3: Are you serious?
Speaker 1: For the way he made female colleagues feel what the fuck? So A like that's a terrible nickname, and be like, what the fuck could a police officer be nicknamed something so horrific?
Speaker 3: No kidding. If you have someone on your force nicknamed the rapist something needs and is going through drive throughs and McDonald's pantless and having indecent exposure like incidents, you probably should do something.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. And this just came into my brain. I hadn't even written in here. I forgot to pute it in there, But there was something too about a sex worker had come into a police station at one point, I think, claiming like that Wayne didn't pay her enough or something. Okay, like just oh he just is Oh, he just should not be in the position that he was in, Like it's disgusting. Wow, Okay. So, as you can imagine, the police faced a massive amount of blacklash from the public for many reasons following the claise. The public deserved answers why was a police officer able to continue working after incidents of a decent exposure were reported? Women were also living in fear Sarah was just walking home. In September, the met stated that people should consider shouting out to a passerby, or running into a house, or knocking on a door, or waving a bus down, or calling nine nine nine if they ever felt uncomfortable when they were being stopped by a single police officer. But this was highly criticized because could that not just be have people facing charges of resisting arrest. They literally put that out there, do these things.
Speaker 3: So basically, if you feel uncomfortable from a police officer, run, Yeah, what's a police officer going to do?
Speaker 1: Like that is just the most terrible idea to put out there, ever.
Speaker 3: That escalates the situation, that now puts you under further arrest and more like, oh my god. The list goes on.
Speaker 1: So this is such a new case and I hope as it's examined that it brings positive changes that make people feel more safe on the streets of the UK and safer on the streets of the world, because, if anything, this should be done for Sarah.
Speaker 3: I do want to say one note on that police statement though. Sure they said that if you feel uncomfortable in a single police officer arrests or situation, that you should do those things. Correct. They no longer have single police officers in civilian clothing, yes, so that's that's the catch there, But it could be.
Speaker 1: Someone in uniform, right, If it was one one police officer in uniform, you could do those things.
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay, I can understand. Okay, if you're approached by a single police officer and civilian clothes or someone claiming to be then yeah, okay, that makes more sense. But yeah, if it's a uniformed officer, yeah not so much.
Speaker 1: And just like, imagine how awful that would make because I mean, this was one hopefully one bad person, right, yes, but then there was probably many people on the force that were good.
Speaker 3: So it's just how one bad apple? Right yeah? But however, if it is one bad person on the force, okay, yeah, sure, however, how many people on the force were nicknaming him the rapist? I know, I'm not doing anything about it. I know how many people on the force knew about his indecent exposure and just let him walk. So is it just one bad apple or is it an entire system that's broken?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And you know, I didn't I was going to touch like a lot on all this stuff. There was way more. We could probably even have another podcast about things because there was also memorials and things that were set up for Sarah and COVID nineteen was rapid at that time, right, very much so. And so the police also had gotten themselves in trouble because they sometimes had to break up these things and it was just like just like a complete shit show.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, I could see that, And.
Speaker 1: So I just hope that something that things are examined, that procedures are examined, that just like everything is examined, and that positive changes can be made out of this. I agreed so that's really all I'm going to say about it. And with that, I wanted to read a piece from Sarah's mother's impact statement that pulls us off. When Sarah went missing, we suffered days of agony, not knowing where she was or what had happened to her. Then, when Sarah's burnt remains were found, we spent two terrible days waiting for tests to show how she had died, fearing that she had been set alight before she was dead. The thought was appalling. Burning her body was the final insult. It meant we could never see her sweet face and never say goodbye. Our lives will never be the same. We would be a family of five, but now we are four. Her death leaves a yawning chasm in our lives that cannot be filled. I yearn for her. I remember all the lovely things about her. She was caring, she was funny, She was clever, but she was good at practical things too. She was a beautiful dancer. She was a wonderful daughter. She was always there there to listen, to advise, or simply to share with the minutia of the day. And she was also a strongly principled young one who knew right from wrong and who lived by those values. She was a good person, she had purpose to her life.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, that's a really well articulated statement.
Speaker 1: I know there was. It was longer than that, and so there was an impact statement from the mom, the dad, and the sister and they're all just like gut wrenching, Like I kind of wish I could pt them all in there, but I don't know. And that's that. May we light a candle and Stayar's honor and may she rest in peace. And fuck Wayne, I know he's disgusting. Wow, And I just yeah, this it's just like because I think this story is so new too, it's like relatable because it's like COVID is still a thing, and it's just like she's young, and I don't know, it's just oh my goodness, it hurts.
Speaker 3: It does because I could see someone falling victim to that, because I mean, COVID rules change every day. Oh yeah, So maybe there is a curfew, maybe there isn't. Maybe you aren't supposed to be out. You don't know, and you're just trying to do the right thing, and law enforcement is someone somewhere just takes advantage.
Speaker 1: Because honestly, when COVID first started, I was one hundred percent one of those people that would watch the news releases and shit, yeah, so I knew what was going on. But then there came a time where I just stopped and I have absolutely no idea half the time what's going on.
Speaker 3: Well, because it's been going on for two years, So.
Speaker 1: If something like that happened, I don't even I mean, you'd be like, holy shit, like what did I do? Like you probably questioned a bit in your mind, but like this person is a cop and or a police officer, so like you're going to follow, like what can you do resist arrest?
Speaker 3: Well, and there's a whole psychological thing going on when you're talking to an authority figure. If there's been studies and everything done on this. I can't remember the exact term on the effect or whatever it is, but you have a complete right to remain silent. We all know the right to remain silent. Do you ever remain silent to an officer? No, They ask you where you were, what you're doing all the time. You feel like you need to give this information because it's an authority figure. You feel like you need to participate you need to divulge the information.
Speaker 1: So and you're almost probably uncomfortable too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well then that's the thing.
Speaker 3: You're uncomfortable and you feel like you should be doing this because it's an authority figure and you have someone who takes advantage of that whole psychological situation. It's fucked and a time.
Speaker 1: When literally everything else is so confusing.
Speaker 3: Too, so it just makes it even worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just horrible. So anyway, I will post a photo of Sarah like, she's just like beautiful. She looks so young for her age, I feel like, and yeah, and you can let us know what you think of the story, but you're probably gonna think it's shit.
Speaker 3: It was a shit story, but you did a really good job telling it, so well done.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you for that.
Speaker 3: If you guys want to follow us over on our social media so you can find us on Instagram, Facebook, All our links are down below Patreon. Of course, we got our website. Hit us in a comment, give us a review. We'd love to hear from you guys, talk to us. It is us that responds, so yeah, thank you for being here, and of course, as always, stay wicked