Speaker 1: All right, we continue on Fred Rogan Rodney Peepe on AM five to seventy LA Sports Next Hour. Chief operating officer of the Rams, Kevin Demoff will join the program. And the Rams spent time in Hawaii and they are trying to build their brand globally, and Kevin will be on and we will talk about that. But now it's been much too long, so we welcome on the host of the Clipper pregame halftime in postgame show. He's got a YouTube show about the Clippers as well. It's the Saultier Adam Auscelin.
Speaker 2: Adam. How are you.
Speaker 3: Helloja, guys? How are we doing?
Speaker 2: How are we feeling? Helloh? Helloa? Do you.
Speaker 3: Me?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: You got off the Rams there? Why not?
Speaker 2: So? What have you been doing? Adham?
Speaker 1: I mean it's tough, you know well, First of all, this season is way too long. I mean, how long ago did the Clipper season end? Like six months ago?
Speaker 3: You ranting about this like every two weeks is way too long.
Speaker 2: Fred.
Speaker 3: This is like your number one gripe, your big crusade. All the NBA Season's way too long. I feel like you hit on this every couple of weeks, Adam.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you something. Now, you watched the game last night, right, Yeah, I watched the game last night.
Speaker 1: Of course you watched the game. Didn't seem a little anti climactic?
Speaker 3: You mean because the best player on the Indiana Pacers tours Achilles and it kind of took the air out of the building and it was heartbreaking and gut wrenching, and it, yeah, kind of put a damper in a dark cloud on what could have been maybe the greatest Game seven ever. It felt like it was.
Speaker 2: At first of all, No, it might not have been the greatest Game seven ever.
Speaker 3: It felt like it, Fred, It felt like a game.
Speaker 2: It was a one point lead or two point lead going into halftime. Halftime, What do you mean when it when every one of the games, every one of these games has been pretty epic, yes, right, and Fred.
Speaker 3: Most of the time Game sevens are like knocked down, drag out fights that end in the seventies. Remember Lakers versus Celtics and twenty ten. They can be really ugly. This game didn't feel like that. There was some well played basketball out there, but unfortunately it was by the fact that Tyrese Haliburt and towards Achilles.
Speaker 2: Who are you saying it wasn't gonna be one of those exciting finishes for it. Well, I don't know, Adam goes Ever, I think ever was a bit over.
Speaker 3: I said, might have been. Who knows this was. This was one of the greatest NBA playoffs ever. That's just facts. All the series from front to back, from the first round to the NBA Finals, all the game winners, the series that went seven games, the amount of them like this was epic, and it felt like the unstoppable force versus the immovable object in this NBA Finals, where I had okay See winning in five or six games and Indiana said, hell no, we're taking this thing to seven. And they looked very comfortable early on as Tyrese Haliburton hit three three pointers within the first six minutes. Yeah, Fred, take that in your pipe, smoke it.
Speaker 2: Take that rid. Yeah. Every time everyone counted Indiana out, they found a way to clout back in and surprise people, which is why this whole thing went to game seven. I mean, I think most people didn't thought okay See was gonna run through them. It's going to be, you know, one of those gentlemen's sweeps or four to two or whatever. It may be, but the Pacers forced the game seven, and it would have been Yeah, it would have been an epic Game seven had haliburt and I got hurt.
Speaker 3: The hell Fred, you asked me if I watched the game last night? Did you watch the game last night? Did you watch the series at all? Or because there was two small markets you said, nah, not good enough for me, that's beneath.
Speaker 1: Me, Nicks, I actually watched, yes, Adam, I watch all right. Well, I saw the game last night, and I watched a lot of the playoffs. For whatever reason, I just couldn't get excited. I'm sorry, I'm being honest. How I don't know.
Speaker 2: Ye that I don't know, And maybe you're right.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm more of a home guy, and if the Lakers or Clippers are in it, I'm gonna be into it like playoffs. Maybe if the Kings are in it, I'm more into it. That could be the case.
Speaker 3: It was a fascinating series to me because the magical run the Indiana Pacers were on. I didn't see anything like it before. Guys, you want to talk about the whole is greater than some of its parts. In a league that is driven by superstars and people were still debating as Tyres Halbert and even a superstar is their best player? Even a superstar, how are they doing this right now? He has a Robert Hoary career like run in one playoffs. When it comes to clutch shots. He hit clutch shots in each and every series. Huge, big time three pointers, big time comebacks. The Indiana Pacers, it looked like they were Cinderella, and I thought they had a coin flip chance of winning on the road against OKCE in Game seven. This would have been if they had won this series, the Indiana Pacers, We'd be talking about this forever. This was New York Giants versus the Patriots. That's what it felt like.
Speaker 2: Oh, New York Giants versus the Patriots.
Speaker 3: Guys, the thunder wered plus seven excuse me, minus seven hundred favorites. You'd have to bet so seven to one odds, like you'd have to bet one hundred bucks or seven hundred bucks just to win one hundred. They were huge favorites in this series, and Indiana was doing the exact same thing against them that they had done throughout this entire playoff run.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It was unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Adam, what do you think about the trade with Kevin Durant.
Speaker 3: I think the Houston Rockets fleeced him. Freddy, I think the Phoenix Suns now maybe they just didn't have a better offer out there, and that could very well be the case. Once Kevin Durant says, hey either want Houston or Miami or San Antonio. I won't go to Minnesota, it kind of limits your options. And they wanted to get it done before the draft on Wednesday, so it put them in a corner a little bit to have to make a deal. They weren't bargaining from a position of strength, you could say, and maybe they just had to take the best offer. But to me, for them not to get Jabari Smith Junior out of it, Tarry Eason, Reed, Shepherd, Amn Thompson, she Goon, They they didn't get. They didn't get Cam Whitmore. They didn't get their two first round picks back that Houston, oh, that Houston got from them a couple of years ago from Phoenix that would be very valuable to the Suns. They got the tenth pick in this draft. They got Dylan Brooks. I like that, but Jalen Green is a complete wild card, and I think the Houston Rockets wanted to get rid of him because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what happened to him, Adam? I mean, because at what two years ago, he was about to be the toast of the league and a new kid on the block and all these things and all all the hype, and it feels like he fell off a cliff.
Speaker 3: He just has I think a really low floor. His ceiling may be high who he could be at his very best, but he has games and we saw it in that first round series when Houston was the two seed against Golden State and they lost and seven games where he's out there going two for twenty, like he had one good game where he scored thirty points and outside of that he was miserable. He is a streaky shooter, He is a chucker. He is an inefficient player. I'm not saying I'm giving up on him because he's only twenty three years of age and with athleticism and potential like that. I get it. The explosiveness is there. He's a very exciting player. But I think the Houston Rockets were saying, we got all these other young guys that have higher floors out there, We'd rather give them a longer runway to develop, and if Jalen Green is out there taking twenty shots per night, that's taking away usage and reps from these other young guys. I think they wanted to move him and to get Kevin Durant out of this. You can say he's thirty seven cool or he's going to be by the time this season starts. Guys, he's still one of the top fifteen players in the league. He was one of the most efficient players in the league on jump shots. Of anyone who took five hundred jump shots last season, he shot five percent better on those shots than the next best guy, which was SGA Like he is trom smendously efficient. Still, he's I think going to age. Well. We thought he'd slow down after the Achilles he responded better than anyone in NBA history.
Speaker 2: After that.
Speaker 3: He has still been elite. And he's exactly what they needed because their offense was an absolute mess in that playoff series against the Golden State Warriors. So their defense is so good it kept him minute and they're still going to be really good on that end. But they need someone who's much more reliable on the offensive end that can just go and get a bucket because Kd's thirty seven, but you know he's not old enough to where he's starting to shrink yet he's still seven feet toll and can shoot over the top of you. Even if he can't get by you as much, he can still get clean looks out there. They did very well not giving up those draft picks that are that were formerly owned by the Phoenix Suns back to them and not giving up one of the young players that they really cover it. And now they have this opportunity where maybe Kad signs a one plus one an extension of two years after this one, so he's got three more years left in the league, play till he's forty or whatever, say he plays three or four more years. Well after that, they get his money off the books. They still have their picks, and these young guys who are only like twenty three now are going to be starting the prime of.
Speaker 2: Their career and ready to go.
Speaker 3: So the Houston Rockets are set up for a nice little window here where they can contend, and they can contend immediately. I think they're one of the more talented teams in the league now.
Speaker 2: And as for Phoenix, they just don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 3: Do they you know about that situation, fred I gotta give you credit. You called out DeAndre eight and the number one pick in the draft a few years back before anybody did, and you were right about it. And while he's not the you know, he's been gone for a couple of seasons and they still just haven't been able to figure it out. They have some dysfunction, Adam.
Speaker 2: The Bradley Beal dial just killed them. Well, that's that terrible decision.
Speaker 3: The KD move is understandable. That's kind of like the Clippers, and maybe we'll get into this a little bit. Making the move they did, trading all the picks and SGA to bring in and Paul George. It's understandable why they did it. Everybody said it was the right move at the time. Nobody questioned the KD move for the Phoenix Suns. The one they questioned a first guest was Bradley Beal because he's too similar. There's a skill set overlap with him KD and Devin Booker, and in the bad ways too, where he's not a great defender. On the other HANDE great, yeah, okay, I'm being kind a poor defender and a no trade clause he and Lebron James are the only two guys with a no trade clause in the league, and now they're gonna have to like bully him to make him wave his no trade clause to go somewhere else, because if they do hold on a Jalen Green now and they want to pair him with Booker, that's definitely not gonna work with Bradley Beal. That will be even worse than they were this season. If your three best players all don't play great defense and all are just similar guards that are one of them's explosive, the other two are jumpshooters, and Beale and Booker, you can't win like that. Their defense was twenty seven this past year, and their offense, quite frankly, wasn't good enough even though they got plenty of games from KD and Booker. So they have more issues than just talent, like they didn't play well together. And then that story comes out there were fistfights in the locker room from DeMarcus Cousins. Kevin Urant went on Twitter argued about that, said, it wasn't true. Who knows, but Phoenix is in a real bad place. But they do have the tenth pick in the draft. That may be the best thing they got from the Houston Rockets. We'll see our reserve full judgment on the trade after seeing who they draft. And by the way, this trade can't be fully consummated till July sixth, I think, so there's a possibility another team gets involved, it turns into a three way trade. Maybe these aren't all the pieces and players being moved yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mentioned that, And ownership is an issue in Phoenix as we've seen over the last few years, and some really crazy decisions made by that ownership group. What did you make of the Walters buying the Bus family out of the Lakers in that whole transition after the Lakers family and the Bus family and Jeanie owning this team for over forty years now has relinquished that. What did you think when you first heard that.
Speaker 3: I was a little bit surprised like everybody else, But he already had a percentage of ownership with the group, and people thought if they ever did sell it would be to Mark Walter.
Speaker 2: Now that was the thing, right that a lot of people didn't realize that he had bought the Anstooth Group's percentage of a few years back. And that he already was involved, and then and then everybody found out that Okay, he already owned some and now he's got the majority share.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that story kind of went under the radar. At least it got buried and we forgot about it. Both the success he's had with the Dodgers. I know Lakers fans are ecstatic about this because they have felt like we're a little mom and pop's type place for a team that has all this history and tradition, and we're not competing in the ways we should be able to as a big market as one of the preeminent franchises in all of sports. In the modern NBA now, of course it's not the same. There isn't the availability to go out and just bring in Otani and bring in everybody like the Dodgers have and create a super team like that because the second apron. A lot of teams view it as just a hard cap now because it's so restrictive in the NBA, like it is so punitive with some of the things that can take away from you with first round picks or being moved to the back of the line, or not being able to aggregate trades. So you got two guys that make thirty million, you can't trade them for one guy that makes sixty million. It makes things very difficult, so teams do try to stay below it. And by the way, the two teams that were just in the NBA Finals were both below the first apron in Indiana and the OKC Thunder. The Lakers have been operating under the second as of late, where I think a lot of teams are trying to find that sweet spot to contend. But this at least gives them the ability to be on par with everybody else when it comes to the periphery stuff, which does matter. I'll give you two examples that if they had Mark Walter during these times, I think it would have gone differently. One, Alex Caruso doesn't end up leaving the Lakers now two time NBA champion after winning last night with okay see, that wouldn't have happened because they made a decision between paying him or Taylor Horton Tucker, which I know looks really bad now. They could have paid both of them. They didn't want to dip into the luxury tax so much. That's what this new ownership group can do for them. And then also they low balled coach Lou Tron Lou, and they didn't want to pay him as much as the market said he should have been paid for a coach that had won a championship, and they want to choose who would be his assistant coaches. Stuff like that. Is the difference who you have in the front office. There's no salary cap there. You're scouting department facilities. You can improve in all these little ways on the margins that do make a difference over time, and I think that's where the Lakers now have a much better advantage.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. Yeah, they're just gonna They're going to invest in infrastructure. That's really the bottom line, infrastructure. They'll have more scouts, they'll have more analytics people, They'll they'll have more front office personnel. We made the point now the Clippers haven't won, but Steve Bomber has done it right. I mean, he's put together a top notch organization. They just haven't been able to win yet. The Lakers need to try to construct an organization like Steve Bombers. Would you agree? I would.
Speaker 3: I don't want it to happen because I want the Clippers to have the advantage but yes they should. They could mirror the other team in town and the way they do it. Steve Bambers spared no expense in areas where he's able to now. The reason they brought on the second apron is because of Steve Balmer and Joe Lacob who are paying one hundred million dollars in luxury tax every year and just didn't care about it because they have the b they have. They they're the big spenders. I think Steve Balmer is the fifth richest person in the world at this point. He's still the richest sports owner in North America for sure North American sports. So yeah, they could pattern themselves a little bit after what the Clippers have been able to do. They just brought in Moniu McNair to their front office from the Sacramento Kings. That's a whole nother story with what happened there up in NorCal. But he has always paid coaches. Jeff Van Gundy was brought in this past year as the defensive coordinator. He did a great job for them. They've been on top of the analytics. There was a time the Lakers were so far behind around twenty ten, and the analytics department stuff like they relied so much on being able to bring in superstars for so long and win that way, where it felt like the rest of the league was a farm system for the Lakers and hashtag future Laker. If you have a player that's really good and young, he'll eventually end up with the Lakers. That's not the case anymore. They're not just going to be able to bring in everybody.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I know that's wild to say after they got Luka Dancic, but typically that is an outlier. At this point, uh, the Lakers are looking towards the future where there's more of a level playing field, there's more parody. Just look at the NBA finals to small markets. This is the way the NBA has been going. So all those teams in small markets who have been doing things on the margins, on the edges the right way to try to hang with the big ball clubs and the big markets. Like, you have to fight back against that. Now if you're the Lakers.
Speaker 2: Adam, NBA draft coming up? Your thoughts on that? Where are the Lakers? Where the Clippers? And you know, is there is there? I mean, obviously Cooper Flag is going to be you know the guy, but is this a strong draft class? And where do the Lakers and Clippers fall.
Speaker 3: I will not pretend to be a draft expert because I get frustrated around this time of the year, and uh, I think I would say, k Fig is your man for this. He was one before anybody else pointed out how good Sga was. I remember here saying that, oh this was the pick, this was the right pick. And remember he went twelfth. And by the way, he was originally drafted by the Charlotte Hornets, so it was them who traded him originally, not the Clippers. Blamed them for making the bad decision they swapped with the Clippers, drafting Miles Bridges at twelve Sga at eleven. But I'm gonna say this, when it comes to this draft, it feels like because of Nil, a lot of these guys that were going to be mid to late round picks in the first round elected to stay in college because they could actually make more money. So it feels like there's a steep drop off around pick number ten. Now, the top of the draft is obviously loaded with Ron Harper's son, obviously with Cooper Flag, but after that things could get a little bit murky because there's all this stuff with Ace Bailey and his representation and not working out with the Philadelphia seventy six ers, and who's gonna take him. He apparently won to be the guy right away and be able to play and put up as many shots as he wants to. So I think there's a lot of uncertainty, and I always go back to this, guys, but I have done extensive researchers just what a crapshoot the NBA draft is over the years. And I remember pulling the numbers from two thousand and six to twenty sixteen, So over a ten year period here you're talking six hundred players drafted. Only five percent of those players became All Stars, and only over that time of the top ten picks, twenty five percent of those players became All Stars. So remember that when on Draft night, on the Evil four Letter wherever you're consuming your draft coverage, when they're acting like, oh, this player is going to be so great in the league, it is an absolute crap shoot. You have no idea what you're getting. You could go back to any draft and see how teams screwed up by taking this player before you know, somebody like Tyreese Halliburton went or somebody like SGA went. I mean Alex Trusso went undrafted. Uh, TJ mcjr won, lu Dort went undrafted. TJ went undrafted.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: How many of these guys in this NBA final went late?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even Warner was like five six guys that every year that you know, okay, that that they may be real, but other than that, it is a crap shoot, which is why it was ridiculous all the Hooplin fodder over Bronny going fifty to fifth in the draft for the Lakers. It's like, oh, it's such a big deal. They wasted this. No, they didn't waste It's all a crap shoot, especially especially when you get to the second round you don't know who's who.
Speaker 3: Well, you remember we did a show about that and we looked back over the last ten years of pick fifty five's in the NBA draft where Bronny went. There's one guy remaining in the league. That guy, that guy Aaron Wiggins of the Oklahoma City Thunder. But it does tell you one guy one left. We're talking Indiana took somebody at pick fifty five I think two years ago.
Speaker 4: He's already out of the league.
Speaker 3: Like it's just an imperfect science. It is so difficult. All the scouts, all the front office guys that do this for a living can't figure it out. If you're batting three hundred in the draft, it's just like in baseball, you're doing alright, Like you're failing seventy percent of the time, and that's looked at is strong. So yeah, I don't get too far into it. The Clippers have pick number thirty and then pick fifty one. The Lakers, I believe, just have a second round pick unless they trade into the first round too. So whoever they end up picking, I'll do a deep dive afterwards. But I'm just not interested in going through the fine tooth comb everybody. That could be a possibility in this draft for teams I'm interested in because most of the time in the mounts to nothing.
Speaker 2: All right, Adam, will you amount to something? Every time? I love it. We appreciate it. Bring the energy, bring the flavor, Adam, I love it.
Speaker 3: I really thought I set you up there, Fred, speaking of things that amount to nothing. Thanks for joining us here.
Speaker 2: The salty guys appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Sometimes too many people known you is a bad thing. We'll talk about that.
Speaker 4: We've made it even easier to take LA Sports with you this summer. Make AM five seventy or your favorite AM five seventy LA Sports podcast a preset on the iheartradiop using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto road Trip all summer with LA Sports.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, come on, it's Monday winding down June Rodney, Pete, Fred Rogan, AM five seventy LA Sports. Thanks to the salty A. A always brings the knowledge. Man. Not only does he bring the knowledge, he brings the passion. Yeah he does. He doesn't shy away from being a Clippers guy either. No, you know, all right, let's talk about this college World Series LSU Coastal Carolina. So they're playing the second of three. By the way, LSU wins. Anyway, you are, how many pitches into the game was it. I'm trying to remember maybe ten, three, maybe three or five? I don't know. Oh no, no, it was ten. There was ten.
Speaker 1: So the manager of Coastal Carolina, his name or head coach in this scenario would be Kevin Schnall. So anyway, Kevin Snall in the first inning ten pitches in. I think he started complaining at three, but by the time I got to ten, he had enough and he was complaining about balls and strikes, and apparently the played umpire was struggling, which is shocking because if you look at major league games, it happens all the time. And the played umpire, Angel Compos used to be a major league umpire. So he's got the play College World Series, Yes, comes out.
Speaker 2: Set that up again, Fred, the home plate umpire used to be a major league umpire. Right, you would think that he has an understanding and how things can get heated, how to handle, you know, an emotional coach. But go ahead, I'm sorry, all right.
Speaker 1: So anyway, Angel Compos has been there and in the majors. He was done in twenty fourteen. Some thought he had a history of vote reacting when he was a big league Ever, yeah, there's a reason why he's not in the MLBA anymore.
Speaker 2: Right, there's a relation. There's a reason. Shall starts letting him have it? Comes out of the dugout ten pitches into the game, Angel compost runs him, runs him ten pitches into the game. College World Series championship game, Yes, game two of a best of three series. He runs Coastal Carolina's head coach ten pitches into the game. Now, I actually was watching that game live, to be honest with you, and I I saw this happening, and apparently there was some there was some discrepancy the night before the day before that, they got into it a little bit. And from what I understand that initially on the day in question, which was yesterday or two days ago, he got into it with the first base coach, got into it with the first base coach where it started with the balls and strikes, and then the head coach jumped into it. I'm sorry, go ahead for it. No, no, that's exactly right. So when he runs the head coach, the manager ten pitches into the game. Ten a good lord. Ten pitches into the World Series game. He runs him, and you're like, oh god.
Speaker 1: And then to make matters worse, all of the umpires come running in, right, they're all gonna around and defend Angel compos.
Speaker 2: One guy comes flying in, trips and falls over. Yeah, and it looks it looks like the manager from Coastal pushed him or whatever and didn't touch him. Didn't touch him. Now, didn't touch him.
Speaker 1: So this guy comes flying in. He is accusing the manager of knocking him down, which wasn't true, and compos runs him ten pitches into the game. I gotta tell you, you gotta be better than that. This is the College World Series. Get it together eight. He shouldn't work any more games. He should be done.
Speaker 2: You can't do that. Shitn't You cannot run the guy ten pitches into the game because he's on you. Maybe he's on you for good reason. How about time out, Kevin? Come out here like one day. It's very similar, to be honest with you, it's very similar. That's why it's so current. Very similar to Dave Roberts. When Dave Roberts got the other day against the Padres when they gave a warning to both teams, and Dave was asking, why did you give a warning to both teams? You know they threw at our guy. Why are you warning us? And that's really what Dave was asking. And your boy, Fred Trip Gibson decided that you can't come out here. Don't come out here. Don't you come out here. I'm gonna run here. You come out and he ran him, and all Dave was, I just wanted an explanation as to why you are warning us when their guy hit us, their guy hit us, and you're warning both teams. And it was very similar to that where he was just questioning. He said, I guess he wanted to know a specific situation and it was trying to get an answer to it. And a guy took offense thinking he was questioning the balls and strikes. Now he probably was, but he was doing it in a different way. But it wasn't even him that initially. It was the first base coach that started chirping to talk about you know, you know, get it, you know the strike zone is whatever it may be. And I guess there was a warning given and then he went right back at the manager, the head coach, and ran him. I agree with you. You cannot do that, you got it unless somebody comes and really puts their finger in your face and shoves you or whatever. You gotta have some more decorum, You gotta have a little bit more. You gotta have tougher skin as an umpire to not run a head coach of a college team in the World Series ten pitches in, I mean absolutely ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Compost should have called time. He should have called time. Now, if you wanted to handle this and diffuse it time. Just walk over to the dugout signal the coach to come out. Let's just air it out right now. Don't embarrass me. I'm gonna talk to you right now. Don't embarrass me. Don't start screaming at me. But let's just discuss what's going on. Let's come to an agreement. Go back now, consider yourself officially warned. I gave you the chance, I gave you the time. Let's work this out. That's how you diffuse this thing. You don't just throw the guy out of the game ten pitches in. And that speaks to this. You see, sometimes the officials become too big for the game. The one thing you never want to do is an official ever never is anybody know your name?
Speaker 2: Rever.
Speaker 1: If no one knows your name, you've done a good job. If no one can pick out anything you've done, really, you've done a good job.
Speaker 2: Right, how many I'm an NBA official? Do you know? You know a couple? Right? Scott and the number one you know? Right? Yeah, Scott Foster. Now he didn't work the finals, right, he didn't. Everybody thought he because he normally does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think his notoriety has become a deterrent. Now, Yeah, anytime you're saying, is Scott Foster gonna work the game? That's really bad for an official? Is it Scott Foster? Is he working tonight?
Speaker 2: That's bad. You don't want people to identify you. And it's not bad for Scott Foster the human being, but it's bad for the game. It's bad.
Speaker 1: And now because he is known as he is, you might see him get fewer assignments. He's distracting from the game, right right, anything he does in that game, somebody's going to react to it now watching Oh my god, he's anything controversial, anything close, anything, whatever it's gonna be, it's gonna focus.
Speaker 2: Its gonna be on Scott Foster.
Speaker 1: And that's not what they want. And I think that all of the notoriety and the discussion of the conversation about him, I think it's now hurt him. And that's not to say he's not a good official. I'm sure he's still one of the best, but you don't want to send him into that. It's bad for your business, it's bad for the game, and maybe, through no fault of his own, he may not get any more games like that. Yeah, because he's too well known angel compost in the college game. Come on, man, come on, now everyone knows you, Everyone now knows who you are. You can't work anymore college World Series games ever. Ever, you shouldn't. You probably shouldn't even work anymore in college sports. That was a horrible judgment.
Speaker 2: And how many coaches do you think, I mean, around college baseball are sending in their responses letters whatever they may think, watching that going. That guy cannot work another college playoff game ever, Like you said, how about this, how about this?
Speaker 1: I don't want that guy work in our games period. Yeah, college playoff game, we don't want him. No, we don't want him to work. We say no.
Speaker 2: And you know the leagues do when the coaches and ads do have a voice in this stuff, Yeah they do, Yeah, they do. And I got to imagine other ads and other coaches around the league around college baseball. We're going and ten pitches in, you're gonna run him. We're talking about you know, eighteen nineteen year old kids and the world and the World Series championship game, and you gotta run the head coach ten pitches in. Come on, you can't do that. You cannot do that. No, I'd be shocked if he works another at least another significant college baseball game. No, he can't. He can't.
Speaker 1: When the officials become the story, then a change has to be made. When you become the story, you have done something wrong. Angel Hernandez became the story and suddenly mysteriously retired, right, Oh, I just decided yesterday, I'm retiring tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know what that was, right, Yeah, that was you can go on your own. Oh, we're going to force you out. Yeah, let's have a conversation. We've come to a decision. You're not going to sue us. We're not going to listen. It doesn't matter. We've got all the evidence. You know what people do, and I think they do it in business as well, Major League Baseball's business. When they want to get rid of somebody, they start building a case. Oh yeah, and they build it over time. And even if somebody does what appears to be something egregious and should be gone immediately, they aren't gone immediately. They're warned, then they're watched. Then you start building that case. And I'm sure in the situation involving Angel Hernandez, what happened was they'd had the conversations, but everybody. I mean, we used to play the Angel Hernandez drinking game here on this show.
Speaker 1: Get ready, he's working tonight. How many he's gonna miss and how many innings will it take it?
Speaker 2: And get drunk?
Speaker 1: I mean we did that. If people know that, they probably just sit there. That's to watch everything. You're kind of on the hot seat. Now there's nowhere to hide. They watch everything. Anything close that you might have got wrong is now wrong.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: They build that case and probably got to a point, unless God forbid, there was something physically wrong with him and no one has said anything like that. They probably got to the point where you know, bam, we've got enough now right now, we've got another And that's what happened.
Speaker 2: That's what they do. I'm sure that's what got them. Just yeah, because I think much like much like Major League Baseball and the players and the players union, which is very strong, umpires have a pretty good association as well. Yeah, they really do. So it takes a lot for them to get I guess what get exiled from managing again. Like you said, it was a quick retirement on my own, but it really wasn't. It was like Okay, writing's on the wall. Angel, We'll see you the right.
Speaker 1: Top of the hour, two o'clock CEO of the Rams, our buddy, Kevin Demop will join the show. He'll talk strategy, not just what they're doing on the field, but what they're doing around the world to build the RAMS brand.
Speaker 4: Rogan and Rodney listener, Did you know Am five seventy LA Sports has a wide range of LA Sports podcasts. Shows like petros in Money We are streaming Man Dodger Talk with David Vasse, The Dodger Podcast of Record, Clipper Talk with Ada Moss, follow us all and many more. Just go to AM five seventy LA Sports on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Come on, let's go on a Monday. We're back. Hope you had a great weekend. Rodney, Pete, Fred Rogan. Let's go all right, let's set this up real quick. Let me sure, set this up. This is your baby right here, set it up. We're gonna do something else. Oh okay, that'll go move that till later. Okay, good, all right, good. I don't know if I was ready for it anyway. No, No, we'll do it later. We have to do it today. Okay. Uh, just stay with us for the next hour. We have a special treat for you like that.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we gotta do this fast because we got to break and good. Kevin dem Off of the RAMS on He's going to come on here pretty quickly after the top of the hour. Rams are trying to build a global brand and they're doing a very good job of it. They were in Hawaii. Obviously that's not global, that's the United States, but I think there are territories include Australia. They're going to play a game there I think next year, Mexico and other places as well.
Speaker 2: And their goal is to build a global brand in markets in which they can control marketing and things like that. I think it's absolutely brilliant, absolutely brilliant, and it tells you that Rodney, there's much more to this than just put the guys out on the field let them go. I mean, they're trying to build something much much larger. Yeah, as we've seen over the years, American sports that are really true American sports. Right, Baseball is a true American sport that is now trans ended the globe and played in other places around the world, especially in Asia. As we've just witness the Dodgers really take advantage of the Asian market, whether it be Japan, Korea, you know, all over Asia. Basketball has been probably the most global sport that has easily transcended the world, more so than than the other American sports because it's i guess, easier to play. And you see it in not only the Europe, but you've seen it in Asia and Australia and South America. Now Africa has got a league, South America's got you know, players coming from South America. So NBA has got to jump on everybody when it comes to global the global impact in the sports. But now you're seeing football. Now, you're seeing football kind of grow over the years. Even when I was playing, this is you know, I've been retired for twenty years now, but we started. I was on several teams that went over outside of the US to play. First off with Detroit, we played in London, and then I played with the Cowboys who played in Mexico. So you're seeing the NFL really try to, you know, expand its wings much like Major League Baseball, and the NBA has done.
Speaker 1: All right, let's break come back. Kevin demof of the Rams will join the show