Speaker 1: Tired of the every day grind, ever dream of a life of romantic adventure, want to get away from it all.
Speaker 2: We offer you.
Speaker 3: Escape, Escape design to free you from the four walls of to day for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You are drifting along the muddy reaches of a South American river, your diving gear in readiness. The air comes going. Yet you know that in the murky depths below you waiting in the slime. Therefore you is a mortal enemy from whom there may be no escape.
Speaker 3: Listen now, as a scape brings you Tony Barrett's story Bloodwaters.
Speaker 2: They take you up slowly, always slowly, even in a nothing job like this one a harbor bottom dive at a beginner would laugh at. I kicked away from the heavy pilings harder than I had to, and I knew I was trying to dull my mind again, not to think about it, trying to sell myself the same old story that a diver shouldn't care where he works because the job's always the same. There's something down there. They wanted you get it, period, but it didn't work too well. The story was wearing thin. There you are, you know you want to suit off, or you want to rest for us? Rest from what a fifty foot dive? Get me out of the suit seat, you see?
Speaker 4: Perhaps the man knows.
Speaker 2: Best trance, Murdac.
Speaker 4: Fifty foot dive can be dangerous, but then danger never bothered you did it?
Speaker 2: What are you doing here, Murdac? What do you want? Does an old friend have to want something? I'm not interested in any of your deals. Really. With this job finished, then nothing else inside. I'm busy, Murdac. Beat it.
Speaker 4: No curiosity trend, not so much as a what are you doing in a four second hole in Argentina?
Speaker 2: You never were much at small talk? Were you? You'd buy Murdoc. Wait a minute, take your hand off me by the rush?
Speaker 4: Where are you going?
Speaker 2: You know it all? You tell me? All right? I will. What you do between now and tonight does not matter.
Speaker 4: But at nine o'clock I shall expect you at the Carfeo Rondo promptly.
Speaker 2: And if I don't come, then you.
Speaker 4: Are afford not to come, Trent, it still takes money to live even down here.
Speaker 2: I will see you at nine o'clock. You've been talking for an hour now, Murderach, and you haven't said anything.
Speaker 4: Get to it, you have no social graces? Pity, uh, Trent? How you like never to have to get into diving gear again? To be rich, really rich, to have everything you ever wanted.
Speaker 3: I had everything I wanted once? You remember that, don't your Murdoch?
Speaker 2: How long have you been away from the States trend? What's that got to do with it? Hello? Three years? Three stinking years? And don't you want to go back now? I like working jungle holes like this. I like fifty foot dock site dives with Native boys that fall asleep on the pumps while you're down there? What are you building fortune for both of us? What do you want this time? My right eye? Can't you forget what happened? Can you? You're being stupid. You're out of your territory down here, Murdoch, So talk nice to me, Look, Trent.
Speaker 4: In two months we can both walk out of here with more money than you ever dreamed of.
Speaker 2: I don't dream anymore, gold, Trent. If I told you how much you would think me mad? You want to give me hair? You will learn it? My diving? Yes, did I say something humorous? So you fell for the national industry?
Speaker 3: Don't you know there's a peddler on every corner down here selling maps of sunken treasure.
Speaker 2: I love that the smooth Vincent Murdoch is a tourist. And now do you want to hear what I have to say? Say your peace?
Speaker 4: Did you ever hear of the ground Chuko's rebellion?
Speaker 2: Ah, Maria, my dear.
Speaker 4: May?
Speaker 2: I present Trent Poll. This is Maria sand Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sit down, Maria, something to drink.
Speaker 2: You said something about a rebellion fourteen years ago.
Speaker 4: To be exactly, Olivia and Paraguay were at.
Speaker 2: Each other's throats. It's in the history books. I didn't know you were a reader murder.
Speaker 4: The Paraguarians were getting the worst of it, so they loaded a small boat in Santa Rosa with millions in gold for shipping up.
Speaker 2: The Paraguay River.
Speaker 4: It was to go to Brazil for safe keeping. Well after the boat left where Topinasco. It was never seen a game, nor was the goal.
Speaker 2: Storm.
Speaker 4: They never even found survivors. Besides, where would they look?
Speaker 2: Have you had the idea of the length of the Paraguay River? Two governments can't find the gold? But you can't? That is correct, I can. What do you got charts better than that? What? Then? I said? Before that they never found survivors. I did. The only one interested Trench. I don't want any part of you, Murdoch, now or anytime, so get off my back. Don't you realize what I'm offering you. I understand this. It's over. I'm through with you and your schemes and I'm not running anymore. Get that through your head. Your fat's like you listen to me three years ago.
Speaker 3: I listened to you three years down in this sinkhole.
Speaker 2: Is what I got for it? Three years you foul, filthy fit. I'm good to cut you a new throb doll. I don't know how long it lasted, how many times I hit him, trying to pay him back for the lonely years. But finally it was over, finished, and I was back at the waterfront again, tasting the soft breeze coming in from the sea. You know your what do you want? Oh, Maria, isn't it?
Speaker 5: See Maria?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry if I messed up your friend Murdoch.
Speaker 5: He's all right now. Besides, I have seen men five before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure you have. You always follow the winner.
Speaker 5: Anger forces words. The tongue does not want to say.
Speaker 2: My name is Trent, not Murdoch, plain enough.
Speaker 5: I know your name, Sinno.
Speaker 6: Oh there is a scrutch on your cheeks and not a little blood. Let me, a woman knows how, Senor?
Speaker 5: Senor?
Speaker 2: Is that the way you kiss Murdoch?
Speaker 5: Rise, Bolito, the younger is still there and.
Speaker 2: It shouldn't be, not after that. Huh, Baldi, who were you really kissing Maria? Me or him? What do you want the gold, Murdoch? Everybody wants something more. It's yours.
Speaker 6: I want you to come with me, Senor, no more Polito. Huh, please come with me. Please, I'll show you what I want.
Speaker 2: She turned and moved away, without every once looking back. So she was sure i'd follow her, and she was right. The shack she led me to was less than a half mile away, no different than any of the others around it. She turned to look at me once as she opened the door, and her eyes were a thousand years old. She little lamp, and I looked where she was pointing. He lay on a bed in the corner, a little Portuguese, maybe fifty, cackling softly to himself as though he knew a joke that nobody else would ever know. His hair was pure white, the kind that comes from too much terror, too much shock. And then I saw his hands, from finger tips to elbows. They were a mass of little scars, ugly needle like scars that spoke of some past moment of horror. We moved closer, but he never looked, just sat crooning softly to a bottle of whiskey cradled in his arm. Riao, who is he?
Speaker 5: Have you never seen a man who has lost his mind to fear? Look where? For he is such a one for his sea.
Speaker 2: So ya? He thought?
Speaker 5: Have you seen enough? Siner?
Speaker 2: Is he a uh?
Speaker 5: My father? What is left of him?
Speaker 2: How did it happen? Maria?
Speaker 6: You have already been told. Murdok spoke truth tonight when he told it his survivor of Missan Barossa.
Speaker 3: Later, as we sat staring out at the water, she told me all of it. And it wasn't hard to follow.
Speaker 2: An old man driven insane by terror, who clung to Murdoch because Murdoch kept him in whiskey, the one thing that pushed the terror away for a wire, very neat and tidy, the Murdoch touch.
Speaker 5: You understand now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What do you want me to do, Maria? Make the trip with Murdoch as his diver. Is that what you want?
Speaker 5: My father is a child. Now Modac will lose him, then, Oh.
Speaker 2: That's all you want it from the beginning. Isn't it for me to be a watchdog? He is my father? Yeah? I never asked you're going along? See I go, all right, Maria, I'll dive for Murdoch grass, all right, gratitude for your father.
Speaker 5: No, not this time, getting this time for me.
Speaker 2: Murdoch was all sweetness and light next morning when I told him he had a diver, you just sworn we were old buddies. He balked at only one thing, by wanting to take along Jose, the kid who'd handle pumps for me on the harbor job.
Speaker 3: But I wasn't about to do any diving without somebody I trusted handling lines.
Speaker 2: But I didn't like it. But he couldn't afford argue.
Speaker 3: Jose turned out to be a real good investment before we ever got started that night.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, Oh you finish out Jose or finished you watch him creak the gear. I did it myself. I shouldn't known. Thanks know how well you know this genteral murder too? Well? Why? Well, come on, ose, what is it? While I was taking care of the gear, he was getting there. The missis how the permits government permits for the interior. See see, you're supposed to name all the people that go. I know that. What about it? I saw the papers on your well it's every name there except yours? I see? But why why does he do a thing like that? You know what? Reason to save? Explain later? Okay, Murdoch's got it all figured out. I say, I still do not understand. Why are you not on that list? It's real simple. A man who doesn't make a trip can't be expected to come back from it.
Speaker 3: You are listening to Blood Waters tonight's pleasant of Escape. Millions in Asia living on inadequate diets and additional millions in pre Europe fighting for post war recovery are the beneficiaries. When you give to care ce are send a ten dollars care package or the six ninety five budget package for further details, Right Care New York. That's Care New York and now Escape and the second act of Blood Waters. It's a thing you got to see to believe, a thing that exists every foot of the length of Argentina. Yet a couple of hours inland from the coast, and you've gone back a thousand years nothing but jungle, jungle, so thick and green, you can travel a full day without every once getting a glimpse of sunlight.
Speaker 2: Bad enough anyway you try it, but doing it Murdoch's way was the worst. Murdoch a gold hungry, penny pinching man who hadn't hired enough bearers, who skimped on food, and who hated every minute wasted on rest. Maria took it well, quiet for the most part, her eyes never far from Sandoval. The old man was pathetic, shambling along, falling off and uncaring and never hearing. There was only one sound that mattered in his world, the cork coming out of the bottle. And Murdoch was master at the bottle. Four days of it, four stinking, crawling days, and on the morning of the fifth we came out of it. Stood there looking out at the Paraguay River. The gold was showing in Murdoch's eyes again. Look and trend beautiful, isn't it. It's a river, It's all it is. It's been a long walk. We're to now three days up river. Do you have any objections?
Speaker 4: From the bill, and you should remember that to check out the supplies while I make our agements for the boat.
Speaker 2: Don't you want me to take a look at the boat before you make a deal. Make sure you got a good winch.
Speaker 4: You'll have a short memory trend. I'd say I'm fairly capable of making deals, wouldn't you. You just make sure the bearers don't steal anything when they leave.
Speaker 2: I take care of that for you, Cino, and thanks as a and keep an eye on the old manor Maria. You are right, I see.
Speaker 5: I'm so grateful to you for what for everything, everything PLO. You take care with Murdoch. He's a dangerous man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now listen to me. From here on, it's going to be different. We'll all be in a small boat for days, maybe weeks. I won't always be around because of the diving. Here. Take the gun, just take it and hope you don't have to use it. A couple of hours later, Murdach came back and waved us down to the river. Instead of being alone, now he had a native with him, a big man, he called, but two a lot of men. Even through the paint on his face, you could see the combination of Mayan and Inca, the thousand year old dignity. As he stood looking at us.
Speaker 4: Straight, this is but two. I've just arranged for the boat, and he's going up rival with us to help with the loading.
Speaker 2: But tu, but to help? What are we taking him for? Murdac. He wants to go up river to his people, and he will work for his passage. We can use him. You keep adding, people, somebody's gonna have to swim alongside. Not ain't much of a boat, No, Trent, this is no time to be at each other's throats. I know we are on the right track. Sam Deval started getting excited the moment he saw this spot of the river. For a guy in his condition, you're doing a lot of depending on him. You'll let me worry about that.
Speaker 4: All you have to do is handle your end of things, and that won't begin until we start diving.
Speaker 2: You're wrong, Murdoch. I started worrying three years ago. Remember two days on the river, Two long days with Murdoch never once taking his eyes off Sandoval, watching each slightest reaction, the bottle always ready, and the old man needed that bottle. Now, his terror growing by the minute, and Murdoch loving it because it told him we were getting closer. That night, I was laying out my gear back in the stern when Too, the big native came toward me. He wasn't the calm giant anymore, just a man, a terrified man with words tumbling out of his mouth.
Speaker 3: You tell bat too, you tell tell you what about crazy man?
Speaker 2: Crazy sand of arrow? Or what about him hands? The scars? You mean, how did he get him? Yeah? I don't know what happened to his hands, But what about him? Why you come here to dive to bring from the water?
Speaker 6: Why no?
Speaker 2: Not going water? No? Why not? What's wrong? Not go devil water? Devil water? You not going devil water? And that's all I could get out of him, just that. It was a long time before I got to sleep. Late on the third day, we dropped anchor just outside a small coal Murdoch was out of his mind with excitement, but it was too dark for diving. We'd start in the morning, but Two wanted to go a short see his people spore. He'd be back before Son of Murdoch didn't like it, but he had no choice. We needed the big man on pumps. In the morning. We were up at dawn, and but two was back aboard. He didn't say much. He was never moren a couple of feet away from me, and his eyes never left me. But I didn't have time to think about it. I had my own troubles. Let's take you so long, tread for you and your penny pension. You've been had, Murdoc. We were wrong for not a thing except this winch is on its last leg. Well, let's not argue. Repair it the best you can talk cheap. But I'm the guy who goes down there. Listen to me, Trent. We're close, really close. Son of elswass right beneath us. He has to be right. He's pointed out landmarks all the way. Wait a minute, what's that his native drums? Probably a welcome get the chet close trend. We're losing time. You'll remember what I say about the clear lines down their cinema. I'll remember, and don't you forget. Look said look on the shore natives, six or seven of them. It's part of buttoo's trick. What's that they carry? It looks like a pig or a goat, and the throat is cut.
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 2: But what are they doing? Make sacrifice?
Speaker 4: To river.
Speaker 2: God, But why now? Save you from what? What's down there? A native superstition? Grant? Where's your intelligence? Are you ready? But too you not staying water along got on the beach. They heard his command, and the pig was thrown into the river. A moment later, Jose had bolted my helmet in place, and I was being lowered over the side of the boat. Everything was forgotten. Now the work is staying alive. That's how it is with diving. You can do it a thousand times, but it's always new. Jose knew it through the phone. I could hear him worrying with me. You're right, yeah, read me see you live in bottoms. Stay with me. I'm gonna have a little rock around. I checked my lines and started toward a large mass of shadow distances underwater. Fool you, and I was on it almost before I started. It was a ship, or what was left of one. Her back had been broken in two, and her stern was right in front of me. I read it aloud, Santa Rosa, what's that? I found it? Start a line down, she's folding. You're here, He's fine. I went in carefully, slowly, making sure of my lines. It didn't take me twenty minutes to find it. A tremendous iron bound chest. I scratched the slime off with my knife and there it was the official seal of Paraguay. There wasn't any doubt now what was inside.
Speaker 3: I got a line around it, told them which way to swing the winch and manage to get it out in the clear for the trip up.
Speaker 2: I just about finished when I felt a signal on my lines. What is it? Bato says, to get up here quick. You went down to long Why French? This is Murdoch. Let's get to go on the first at the moment.
Speaker 4: Won't hurt you.
Speaker 2: It's gonna take chances on the phone line. Let's not take chances on me. Tell us to take me up. The door comes up first, stand clear trench, Murdac. Listen, my knife is across the line. You turn that winch and I'll cut the line. You hear me. You're insane. I could cut your hair. Hoole, go on, cut it. I'm tired of livin with you on my back. Anyway. Oh all right, trend all right now, don't get excited. We're taking you up slowly. They began taking me up and then I realized why Murdoc knew once I started up, I couldn't possibly cut the line that held the chest. He took me up just far enough to get my hands on the bottom rung of the Jacob's ladder and hang there helplessly. Then through the phones, I could hear the creak of the winch as he started hauling up the chest. Looking up through the water, I could see Murdoch leaning over the rail as he waited for the chest to break water. And then it happened, a sudden sharp sting on my hand. From when I looked, I saw blood, blood, and a six inch fish racing in for another bight. In a second, there were more of them, little needle tooth devils, plunging at the canvas suit, even trying to bite through the steel at a helmet to get at the flesh inside. And at last I understood everything. Why but two called it devil water, why Sandoval had gone insane, and what happened to the crew at the Santa Rosa. That six inch fish was the South American pirana, a cannibal so deadly it strips a man to the bone in thirty seconds. Then I heard something else, the winch. Murdoch had been driving it too fast even for a good winch. It started to crumple just as the chest broke water. Murdoch saw the chest, inches from his hand start slipping back, and the thought of losing the gold drove in crazy. He grabbed wallet. Even as the chest pulled him down past me. He was still holding onto it, Even as the piranha left me to strip easier pickings than steel and canvas. He held onto it, and I you he'd never let go. How could he hadn't The gold pulled him halfway around the world, and then climbed out of the water to get him under the direction of Norman McDonald.
Speaker 3: Escape has Brought You Bloodwaters by Tony Barrett, starring Vic Perrin. Featured in the cast were Jack Krusian, Lillian Baya, Tony Barrett, and Barney Phillips.
Speaker 2: You're announcer George Walsh.
Speaker 3: The special music for Escape is composed and conducted by Leith Stephens.
Speaker 2: Next week, you.
Speaker 1: Are one of four people trapped in an isolated trading post somewhere in the Yukon Territory, the blizzard outside making escape impossible, and you know that before the spring thaws release you. Before you can leave this cabin behind you, one of your companions, by consent of the others, will be killed.
Speaker 3: So listen next week when escape brings you Less Crutchfield Story Judgment Day at Cripple Deer. Every weekday, for ninety solid minutes, Arthur Godfrey Time presents that redhead himself coming up with one surprise after another. And every Friday night on most of these same CBS radio stations, we take the top surprises, loss the bellungs, the biggest laughs out of the daytime shows and grew them together into a big once a week treat. Tomorrow night, don't miss the Arthur Godfrey Died Yet at the Star's Address. Daytime is a Gay Time with Arthur Godfrey Time on the CBS Radio network