Speaker 1: Welcome back to part two of our series about the death of Debbie Race. Let's dive right into the case. So the prosecution would bringing an expert to testify that the cuts in the bottom of the raft likely would have been made by an upward thrust with a knife by someone who was underwater, and they also performed a number of tests to rule out the possibility that these cuts could have been caused by some jagged rocks. They were clearly in the shape of like a knife or a sharp object. But the big issue with the prosecution is that they were unable to produce a knife which could have been a conclusive established is having slashed the raft. They did find a snake knife inside a toolbox on the Jenny Lee, but the problem is that it did not match the puncture marks on the raft and there were no traces of rubber on it either. And even though Larry was known for owning two diving knives and neither of them could be found on the boat and were unaccounted for. But the explanation here for that five and a half hour gap where Larry was supposedly passed out is that he could have been disposing of evidence. So if he used a totally different knife to make those puncture wounds in the raft. He probably went to a place to dispose of them where they have just never been found.
Speaker 2: At some point during the story, Larry has to ut lucky. He's incredibly unlucky with the raft and with his story and all of these different lies that he's told along the way, or what I believe to be lies, because I just don't think that this was an accident. So somewhere along the line he has to be successful in the way that he planned this or potentially planned this crime.
Speaker 1: Exactly. And also like he doesn't necessarily have to like dispose of the knife in the water, like he can go somewhere on land and bury it somewhere in a wooded area where the coast guard isn't going to search, and that could explain why this knife has never been found if this is exactly what he did.
Speaker 2: And that's just it right. It's not like you're looking for a decomposing body where you're going to bring in dogs that could sniff this out, or animals would predate upon the remains and maybe dig it up. You're looking at burying a knife like no one's ever going to find that unless somebody has a metal detector and they're looking for something metal and then they go and they dig it up. Otherwise, authorities are never going to find something.
Speaker 1: Like that, Yeah, exactly. So I don't think the fact that they couldn't find a knife is evidence that Larry didn't use it in order to murder his wife. So Larry still had to stick to a story that he had two life rafts on board the Jenny Lee and that the one with the puncture marks was just left behind, and that the actual raft that Debbie went out on just disappeared. But they got search and rescue teams for the coast Guard to testify that they spent days searching for it and could not find it. And like I said, this is not like a small object like a knife. It floats on water. So they pretty much maintained that if it was out there somewhere, we would have found it. And because the case garnered a lot of coverage in the local media, the authorities asked someone to come forward if they found a discarded raft anywhere in the area, but no one ever did, so I know that they also got some of Larry's friends and diving companions to testify about his habits who had been on the boat with him before, and they said, out of all the times we went out with Larry, we do not recall ever having seen him with two separate life rafts on board. So that just seems very out of character for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if it's not something that people are used to seeing, then I'm much more inclined to believe that. Okay, so it was what a year prior where the boat sank and he rescued his.
Speaker 1: Daughters, Yeah, like the summer of nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I believe that if you were going to then try to put implement some more security measures and have an additional flotation device on there in the event that something went wrong with the boat, that you would do so right after that. So then that would leave me to believe that somebody would have seen this extra floatation device. The fact that nobody did is the major red flag. And I'm more inclined to believe that the floatation device that they found that had the lake water in it and had the punctures and the slashes that expert said were likely from an upright thrust from a knife from somebody who was in the water from underneath. Was the life raft, not a second life fraft. I don't believe that there ever was a second one. I think this was the one, and that Larry somehow managed to get Debbie on there and then he cut the bottom out while he was in his dry suit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The only witness who did support the idea that Larry could have had two rafts was one of his daughters, who claimed that she had been in the garage prior to her mother's death and she recalled that she might have seen two life on the shelf. And of course, Larry's daughters continue to support him throughout this ordeal. They did not believe that he was capable of murdering their mother. But I think there's going to be a lot of bias there because the truth is just too hard to comprehend. So of course they're going to support their father at every turn because they can't imagine the idea of losing both parents.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think we see this a lot with cases where just because a child supports a parent, it doesn't necessarily mean that parent is innocent, because the way that they are with their children can be as different as night and day than they were with their partner or their spouse, and children perceive things differently than the reality of a relationship because parents will often wear masks in front of their children and they're not going to exhibit the actual reality of the relationship because they're trying to protect their children. And I think most parents do this. There's a bit of a facade, and I think you get to know your parents as an adult, but while you're a child, you're seeing what they want to show you. So the fact that they support their dad, it really doesn't surprise me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is not the first case I've seen where like the children of a spouse who was murdered still continued to support the other spouse, even if there was evidence to suggest that they were responsible. So, like we said, the daughters had been on the boat in the summer of nineteen eighty one when it sank to the bottom of Lake Superior, but Larry wound up raising it to the surface and began repair work on it, And the first time he went out on the boat after it was repaired was actually May the seventh, nineteen eighty two, four days before Debbie's death, because he had fitted the boat with a rebuilt engine, but claimed that there were issues with the exhaust manifold bolt. So when he was out there with these other guests, there was a slow drip type leak in the engine, but it did not appear to pose any risk, and the boat a engine seemed to work well in the water without the league worsening. So several of Larry's friends would testify that they were with him on a diving expedition in the days prior to Debbie's death, and they did not recall seeing any issues, and they also did not recall seeing two life rafts on board. So it just seems to be rotten luck that the very next time after that Larry went out on the lake with his wife, that's when the boat would start to develop all these problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just not buying it. It just seems to be utterly convenient for Larry.
Speaker 1: So here's another damning piece of evidence. The defense thought this helped Larry and made him look innocent. They actually called upon a sheriff's deputy to testify, claiming that three days before Debbie's death, he had actually personally spoken to Larry because he had gone to the marina while he was working on his boat and Larry actually approached him and asked him to perform a safety inspection, and while the deputy declined, he did provide Larry with a list of safety equipment that was required by state law to be on the boat. Larry then responded by mentioning that he had two life rafts on board, even though the deputy could not actually confirm having seen them. So the defense would argue, why would Larry ask this guy to perform a safety inspection on the boat if he was planning to murder his wife, But the prosecute argued, he was probably just doing this to kind of establish an alibi of sorts and make him look like a responsible boat owner, because technically, like, if you see a police officer, are you just going to say, by the way, officer, I want you to perform a safety inspection on my boat which just sank last summer, which runs a huge risk of him discovering a whole bunch of safety violations which will prevent you from going on the water at all. So I don't think just randomly approaching deputies and asking them to inspect your boat is something that most people are just going to decide to do completelyhead of the blue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like an owner of a restaurant seeing like a restaurant inspector on the street and being like, excuse me, could you please come in and could you please look and see if there's any violations in my restaurant? Like, no one is going to do that. Ever, it seems like it's a case of Larry doing too much, and they're interpreting it as, oh, if I do this, it looks like I'm so responsible, and then I've covered my bases and like you said, it's like a forensic countermeasure, but it's a bad one. It just it's like you're drawing attention to you, trying to make yourself appear as though you're so responsible, and then when things go awry, it's like, look at Larry over there, he's the most responsible boat owner. He's got somebody conducting all of these, you know, inspections on his boat and he's inviting them on. And then this still happened. What a good guy. And I think that's the way he thought that it would be perceived. He couldn't imagine that it could be perceived any other way, and that this would be something that would be held against him, which is wild to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, And I find it odd that he specifically said to the deputy, I have two life rafts on board. And I have a feeling that he probably did have two rafts on the boat at that particular occasion, and that if the deputy had gone on board and seen the rafts, he would have used that at trial and they would have said, oh, look at this deputy. He saw two life rafts, and he's an officer of the law. He's not going to lie about this sort of thing. So it was kind of a preemptive attempt to add credibility to his story, but because he didn't inspect the boat, it did not work. So another key witness for the defense was Gene Obino, who was an underwater expert from the University of Minnesota who worked as a diving instructor. He attempted to debunk the prosecution scenario, testifying that it would have required superhuman strength and been physically impossible for Larry to have pulled off all the task he was accused of when he murdered his wife. So on the night this took place, witnesses had reported seeing the Jenny Leees lights near the mouth of the Taumadge River between eight thirty and nine thirty pm, which was the approximate time period when Larry claimed that he and Debbie exited the boat to climb into the life raft. However, Debbie's body was eventually found washed up on shore seven miles west of this location the following afternoon, and Obinau testified that Debbie's body would not have been able to drift to that spot where she was found during this nineteen hour window unless she had been in a raft for a period of time, and since she was found wearing a life jacket, Obino believed that she only would have been able to float a max some of one or two miles before she washed up on shore. Well, the prosecution's rebuttal to this was that even though the Jenny Lee was seen near the Tallmadge River at about nine pm, they technically only had Larry's word that Debbie left the boat in the raft at this particular point in time, as there were no other witnesses who could corroborate seeing Larry, Debbie or the raft in the water that night. So technically, like if Larry is lying, then Debbie could have climbed into the raft at another location miles away, so that she only floated a mile or so when she wound up at the spot where she washed up on shore. So even if John Obino is technically telling the truth that she could not have floated seven miles, if Larry is lying about the point when she originally went in the water, then his testimony is meaningless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then it's a moot point because we're relying completely upon Larry to tell us where she entered the water. Then it's kind of pointless if we're believing that he set this whole thing up. So I don't know, it just seems like Larry is somebody who's knowledgeable about the water, and he might have an idea of the sorts of questions that could be asked regarding it. I'm just assuming this based on the fact that he's a very accomplished scuba diver and he seems very into scuba diving and boating, so there's a base level of knowledge there. So when it comes to how far things can drift or wins those types of things, and how far things can be carried, I think that he would set up a story so that it would sound implausible for her to be in a life jacket and to drift that far, I would think that would be a variable he would have considered when trying to establish where Debbie originally went into the water. If that makes sense, Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does to me, because, like I said, even though the witnesses saw the lights at that particular location at nine PM, and Larry said that Debbie climbed to the rat at that point, remember he didn't call the coastguard until two thirty am, so we have a gap of five and a half hours. So I think Larry could have tried to another location before he set off this murder plot, so that she only had to float about a mile or so. So. Obano also testified that Debbie's skin lividity seemed to support the idea that she had been in a life raft when she made it to shore, because her blood had not sunk to her feet when she was found, which should have happened if she had been in the water for an extended period of time, since her life jacket would have kept her an upward position. However, the prosecution claimed that the levels of Debbie's skin lividity showed that she had been floating on her back for a long time. And this was the same position her body was in when she was found on shore. So if she was floating in the water for like nearly twenty four hours on her back the entire time, then this evidence about the lividity doesn't really mean anything at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the lividity really means nothing unless we know the position that her body was in in the water. And if she was found, like you said, she was found on shore on her back, yes she was, so we can assume that potentially she was floating in that same manner, but we can't really know for sure. So to make any assumptions and to say that, oh, she had to have been in a raft and to not think that it's possible that she was floating on her back in the water, I think is a bit of a wild assumption.
Speaker 1: It is, Yeah, because we don't really have a verified timeline. All we know for certain is that she was found at four pm the following day, but we don't know when she went into the water, when she washed up on shore, and how much she was floating. So the defense would produce numerous character witnesses to testify on Larry's behalf who spoke highly of him and did not believe he was capable of murdering his wife. And of course, all three of Larry and Debbie's daughters testified on their behalf and did not believe their father was capable of harming their mother. But the most surprising thing about this case is that Debbie's parents, Frank and Sylvia Selvie, stood by him as well, and they were well aware of Larry's infidelity, but they still offered their unwavering public support and genuinely believed that their daughter's death was an accident and believe Larry's story that even though he was a lousy husband, that they do not believe he would have been capable of killing her. And this even rang true like years later, because when they were interviewed on Unsolved Mysteries, this was like eight years after the trial, and they were still publicly defending Larry, saying that they one one hundred percent believed that he was innocent and that Debbie's death was an accident. I mean, their support forum went so far that during the trial, the judge actually had to ask the Selvies to leave the courtroom because they were interacting with Larry and openly embracing him. During recesses while he was at the table, and the judge felt that this might unfairly influence the jury.
Speaker 2: That is wild, and I think it comes down to in this case, I don't know what type of character and the charisma that Larry had and if he had the parents under his spell, but it seems like they were really potentially in denial of all of these other things, and it feels like it's the convenient thing to defend him in a way. You have three granddaughters, and so to accept that Larry could have killed Debbie and to fight for justice for your daughter, your life looks very different because you might not then have access to your granddaughters. So what is the remaining piece of your daughter that has left those girls? And on some level, it must have been a lot easier for them to just ardently defend Larry and to be on that side of it and to guarantee access to their grandchildren via support for Larry, even if this was subconscious, then for them to fight against him and then lose access.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have seen this in a lot of cases where one spouse is accused of murdering the other and the victim's family totally turns on the accused, but they also lose access to the granddaughters because they're going to defend their parent no matter what. So even though it does seem surprising like it'd be one thing if Larry had painted himself as the perfect husband throughout the marriage and this was out of character, but it's even more surprising considering that they were well aware that he had cheated on Debbie with no less than four different women. But I think you may be onto something there that maybe they feared that even if Larry is found guilty and sent to prison, if we turn on him, then his daughters will want nothing to do with us and will cut theirselves off. But at the very least, even if they're fighting for Larry's innocence, they will stay with us because we will offer their support to them because we are standing behind their dad. Even though the defense tried to present that this was an accident and that Larry was incapable of murder, it sounds like the jury did not believe it, because after deliberating for twelve hours, they found him guilty at first degree murderer and he was given a life sentence at Stillwater State Prison in Minneapolis, with no possibility of parole for at least seventeen years. So at the trial, on the advice of his attorneys, Larry never took the stand and testified on his own behalf because they figured that might backfire on him. But Larry felt that the verdict may have been different if he had been allowed to testify and gave his side of the story. So he came to believe that he had received inadequate counsel, so as a result, he fired his original team of lawyers hired a new team of defense attorneys who appealed his conviction on the grounds of inadequate council. There were also allegations that the jury had discussed Larry's decision not to testify during their deliberations, even though the judge had specifically instructed them not to do this, and if true, this would have been a violation of Minnesota law and his Fifth Amendment rights and it could have unfairly influenced their verdict. And Larry also believed that since the jury was made up of four men and eight women, that they may have been unfairly prejudiced because of the information about his extramarital affairs. So a hearing was held in which the jurors were questioned about this, but the trial judge ultimately decided that there was no germist conduct and that Larry had received a fair trial, so his conviction was upheld, and Larry's original defense attorney started to speak out on this, saying that even though he claimed that he should, you would have testified at trial that Larry had flat out told his attorneys that he did not want to and said, quote, you can't make me. So they ultimately decided it was not a good idea to put Larry on the stand since he had trouble giving direct answers to any questions, so that might have made him look bad. So these accusations of inadequate counsel were not bought by the judge.
Speaker 2: No, and I think that Larry was actually smart not to get on that witness stand because his ever evolving story would be brought into question. And so, how are we supposed to believe that you're telling the truth now when it seems that you have been lying about little things and or misspeaking, not telling the truth in some capacity misremembering. However, he wants to phrase it, when you start painting that for the jury, and you start questioning Larry on all of these discrepancies. I don't think that it paints a very good picture. And then when you're introducing into evidence things like the affairs and having him speak on that and why, and then you have him talking about how he felt about Debbie, Like if that man got on the stand and said there's nothing wrong with her in front of the jury, can you imagine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. I'm just trying to visualize him trying to put over his loving wife and say that and making a bad impression of the jury. But it does sound like textbook narcissism that he immediately thinks, well, if I had gotten on the stand and told my part of the story, the jury would have found me not guilty. When an actuality, the attorneys knew what they were doing and figured that, yeah, they're probably gonna hate you and find you guilty even if the evidence isn't strong enough if you testify it. So in nineteen eighty five there would be another Appellet hearing which was held based on new information as a witness had come forward who had purchased the Jenny Lee in the years following Debbie's death and claimed that in May of nineteen eighty four, he started experiencing problems starting the engine, so an independent mechanic was hired to examine the boat's starter and concluded that it was worn and could have caused an intermittent starting failure. The defense are you that this supported Larry's story, but the appellate court argued that two years had since pad since the starter issues happened, so this did not prove that that jay Lee was experiencing the same engine problems on the night that Debbie died, So once again Larry's request for a new trial was denied.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just don't think Larry's doing a very good job convincing anybody that he was unfairly or unjustly convicted, or ineffective counsel. All of these things that he's bringing up. It's sort of like it's falling on deaf years because it seems like he was well represented. And I think for him, he's so lucky that he did not get up on that stand, because he's inherently unlikable based on his words and his actions that he's taken stepping out in his marriage, that he would not have done well if he would have gone up on the stand. So I just think that, like crying about spilled milk after the fact, he's not going to be very successful with this.
Speaker 1: No, definitely not. And he also did not do himself any favors when he was in viewed on Unsolved Mysteries, who did a final appeal segment about his case in December of nineteen ninety one, And I will say I watched this one originally aired. I saw it many times in the years afterwards, and I always used to be on the fence about it because I was thinking, well, he's not a likable guy, but could they really prove that he was capable of pulling off this very elaborate murder plot, which would have required what appeared to be superhuman effort. But I covered this one on the Trail when Cold a couple of years ago, and I started doing full research and found out that some of the more damning information against Larry was conveniently not mentioned on Unsolved Mysteries. I was reading through news articles and legal appeals, and some of the stuff we brought up as being particularly damning, like the five and a half hours he supposedly passed out, and the fact that he kept changing his information about bringing scuba gear on board was not mentioned on the final appeal segment, which I'm sure was an attempt to add more ambiguity to the case and try to see it look like more of a mystery. So as as you can kind of tell, we are leaning towards Larry being guilty. But if you were to just watch the Unsolved Mystery sayingment on its own, without looking at any outside sources or information, you would probably feel more ambiguity towards them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense to me, So like you are giving a lot more information than, of course an Unsolved Mystery segment is going to give. But I also feel like if you're to hear Larry talk about heavy and maybe if you're to hear it in the time period, it would be different. Now, we've got so many different true crime tropes, and we're very well aware of how somebody comes across in an interview, and we're more likely to analyze it. So I can imagine if you're watching this as a child, or watching this at whatever age in the nineteen eighties or the nineteen nineties, you're going to have a completely different perception than you would watching it now, because your knowledge, your depth and breadth of knowledge of crime and those who commit crimes is going to be infinitely greater than it would be back in that time period. So I think if you're watching the unsolved mystery segment, you think, Okay, well there could be it could go either way. But that's the way they produce those segments. They want you to think that it could go either way and that there is some mystery. So that checks out for me.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. Like this was originally aired many years before the Staircase documentary came out, and may have been my first experience seeing an analysis of a case where there's ambiguity about whether it was a murder or an accident. Like this isn't a thing where oh, someone else killed my wife and I've gone to prison. I'm going there. He's trying to argue that I went to prison for a crime that never even happened, that there was not even any murder. So watching it at the time, I had a lot more ambiguity about the whole thing. But the way they frame it, it makes it look like, oh, Larry swam back to his boat and then immediately started the engine and then went to shore to call for help. But then you read the legal appeals and you find it. Oh, he arrived and conveniently passed out for a few hours, and then he started the engine, and that looks much more damning for him. The Unsault my Mysteries broadcast actually led to a new development because a pair of sisters came forward who watched the show, who claimed that they had once found a discarded raft about a year or so after Debbie's death, and they now believed that it may have been the missing second raft from the Jenny Lee. So at the time they had not heard of this case, so they had no idea of the raft's potential significance. So one of the sisters wound up taking it home and cleaning it so that her children could play with it. She remembered stowing the raft in her mother's basement several years earlier, but by the time the Unsolved Mystery segment aired, she had no idea what happened to it, and they were unable to find it. But nonetheless, this revelation was used as grounds for a new appeal, and Larry's defense team filed another motion for a new trial. However, when a hearing was held, the testimony of the two sisters proved inconsistent, as they could not even be certain of the exact time period they found the raft, going back and forth between May of nineteen eighty two and May of nineteen eighty three, and they could not even pinpoint the exact location they found the raft, as one of the sisters said it was near Duluth, but Ben she changed her story and said it was in the Saint Croix River and got confused about whether the raft was found in Minnesota or Wisconsin. So since it could not be conclusively proven if the raft these sisters found was connected to the case, their testimony was ultimately dismissed and Larry's appeal was denied. So I do believe they probably were telling the truth about finding a raft at some point on the river during the nineteen eighties, but there was nothing to indicate that this was the same raft from this case.
Speaker 2: They literally don't even know what city or state they found the raft in, so I'm a little befuddled by this, and I agree with you. It's possible that they found a raft, but they don't have any of the details surrounding it, which makes me believe that the time is murky, the dates murky, The location is murky. So you found a raft, Okay. It's like saying I saw a pair of shoes on the street at some point during some year in some state, Like, Okay, how can you prove that that is connected? You can't. And we know how fallible eyewitness identification is with anything, and I think this just proves it again. It's not doing what Larry thinks it's.
Speaker 1: Doing exactly though I kind of would like to see Larry's reaction, Like imagine he's guilty in sitting in prison and these people come forward saying, oh my god, I found his raft, and Larry's thinking to himself, Oh, I didn't even have a raft. This is lucky for me. But it still makes me wonder though, if they still had the raft in their possession, like, would there be a way to be able to prove or disprove that this was a raft that was once on the Jenny Lee. But because obviously you're not going to be checking it for DNA or fingerprints after it's been in the water for a while. But I think the fact that they could not even pinpoint the location they found it because that they had found it in wisconstant. Then obviously it's not going to be the same raft. It's not going to float all that way. So I think it was just a thing where these sisters thought they were being helpful, but in actuality, the raft they found had nothing to do with the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I happen to agree, And I think there's no way to know that it was a raft from the Jenny Lee unless it's like one of those booies kind of that are like life preservers that are on a boat that actually have the name of the boat on the life preserver. And I don't think that that was the case with these flotation devices, because we would have heard that it would have said that on it, or that it would have been printed, or it would have had it embroidered or something on the life raft so that it would be identifiable, and we don't hear any of this. So, yeah, the fact that the sisters likely thought that they were being helpful and in sharing this information, but it's so non specific that it just feels meaningless.
Speaker 1: So Larry eventually exhausted all his appeals and he finally got a chance in front of the parole board after serving seventeen years, but reportedly he still refused to admit guilt and still maintain his innocence, so his parole was denied. But in two thousand and five, Larry finally was granted parole and released from prison after serving twenty two years, and I haven't heard of him admitting any guilt. I think he still maintained his innocence, but the parole boards still let him free from prison, which they generally don't do unless you admit some culpability for your crime, especially since he had been originally senced to life imprisonment. So I have no idea how this played out. And maybe Larry just showed some of that charm of his and was able to convince this particular parole board that he had been wrongly convicted and railroaded, and they felt he was no longer a threat and released him, and as far as I can tell, he went back living with his daughters. I think he is still alive today, but he has never admitted any culpability and still maintains that he was wrongly convicted, And of course, since they believe that the right man went to prison, the investigation has been closed for several decades, so it is kind of surprising to me that a guy who still looked like he was guilty and never admitted any guilt, was still released from prison. So he actually made out better than somebody like Tommy Ziegler, who is still in prison to this day.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like Florida is a very special state when it comes to holding on to those who are potentially wrongfully in gard arted. And we very much believe that Tommy Zieler is innocent and should be released, especially due to his declining health. But LORDA really seems to hold on tight. But as far as this case goes, he made out okay considering the fact that I personally believe that he is responsible for what happened to Debbie, and I'm sure that it served him well that his family supported him and that Debbie's family continued to support him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as far as I can tell, they never did change their mind and still think he was innocent up until their dying day. So yeah, I pretty much feel the same thing. Like for years, I was kind of fifty to fifty on this case after watching it on Saw Mysteries because I felt, well, he's a terrible husband, he's not a likable person, but could he have pulled this off? But of course, after doing further research for my Trail and Cold episode a few years ago, I became convinced that he was likely guilty and deserved to go to prison. I guess the only ambiguity is, just like, what a risky murder plot? This was like the idea of making your wife out on a raft and freezing cold water and putting puncture marks out there to try to have her die of hypothermia. And for most people I would kind of think that this kind of murder plot is just way too elaborate. But once you read about Larry Race's diving background, how frequently he did this, and the knowledge he would have had of scuba diving and hypothermia, and the fact that he went through a similar incident with his daughter one year earlier, I do think he would have had the devious mind to brainstorm this and figure I'm going to try to kill my wife and have her freeze to death of hypothermia and make it look like an accident and hopefully I will get away with it and collect the insurance money.
Speaker 2: What is wild to me is that he went a little bit too far with the life raft. If he had this plan that he was going to put Debbie into this life raft and then sink the life raft so she would have hypothermia and then perish in the water. He went a little overzealous. Did you say there was five or seven in puncture marks in the life five? So I think he made a couple of mistakes there. He could have just made one puncture mark in the life raft. He could have done one large one and then maybe used something that was not a knife, because it's pretty easy to tell it's a really clean cut. Maybe if he used a rock or something else that was sharp but not so identifiable. But then his next mistake was having the lake water in that raft and then bringing it back onto the Jenny Lee. He could have disposed of it somewhere. He could have cut it up into little pieces, put it in something and sunk it. There is a lot of different ways that he could have approached that life raft, but it became a piece of evidence that experts were then able to analyze and say, well, no, these cuts didn't come from a rock. They came from an upward thrust from a knife from somebody underwater, And so that opens up that possibility that we've got Larry with his scuba gear with his dry suit. He's got Debbie into this life raft and he's swimming up underneath her, and like a scene out of a movie or out of fiction. Like you said, we've got him cutting this life reserver and then swimming away and waiting for his wife to die. It seems like in that very narrow window of time that that would have happened. He's then what waiting in the wings for Debbie to get out of the life raft and then grabbing the life raft and taking it back to the Jenny Lee, because it seems like he would have had to have been close to Debbie when she was out of the raft or when she started to panic or passed out, and then went and retrieved that life raft. I feel like had no life wrap been found out all, he would have been in a better position.
Speaker 1: I think he was kind of too clever for his own good, that maybe he should have just left the life raft on the lake because Debbie apparently couldn't swim, so a more easier way to do it would be to drag her out to the middle of the lake, knock her out of the raft, and then just wait for her to like either drown or die of hypothermia and then just leave the rat floating out there, and then he could just swim back to the Jenny Lee call for help, and then during the search, if they found Debbie and the raft floating in the lake, they could just assume, well, she fell out and died of hypothermia. And even if they became suspicious of Larry, it would be much harder to prove murder if you don't have puncture marks or anything like that. So I don't know why he did that to begin with. I think he was just trying to make this look like a movie when he could have done it in a much simpler fashion.
Speaker 2: I think he's a coward, is what I think. Okay, that for him to go and while Jenny is cognizant of what is happening, he could get hurt or sorry, well, the Jenny Lee, yeah, Debbie, Well, Debbie is conscious and she's aware of what's happening. He's not going to do it to her face. It's like the way that he conducts affairs. He doesn't directly say to Debbie's face, I don't want to be with you, I don't want to be in this relationship. I'm not in love with you anymore, which his words would lead us to believe that is actions would lead us to believe that he doesn't say that to Debbie. And so the way that he killed her is the same cowardly way he does it behind her back. He does it in an indirect way. He will not knock her out of that raft would have been a lot easier, but he would have had to stab her in the front versus stabbing her in the back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that makes a lot of sense to me that that probably explains why he did it underwater, so he didn't have to see her while he was doing it, and that explains the puncture marks. But it wound up being his downfall, his undoing. And I do think that the five and a half hour discrepancy before he called the coast guard at two thirty am is probably the result of him disposing of evidence because they never found the knife, they never found the scuba gear, and they never found the gear bag which contained Larry's shoes and Jenny's purse. And I know that the coast guard did a thorough search, so I think he may have traveled outside the search area to get rid of it, or maybe he even did it on land. He put it in like a wooded area and buried it so that they wouldn't even be looking for there. And but of course he was too clever for his own good, because once they realized that there's this weird discrepancy of five and a half hours, he had to come up with this implausible story of passing out of exhaustion for a few hours. And that's what caused them to just build evidence after evidence against him until they finally had a prosecutable case to indict him for murder.
Speaker 2: So how do you think that this played out? Do you think that, like, because for Larry to go and dispose of all of this evidence, to do all of these different things, it would require him moving about in the water and being able to do so quickly, and just swimming around in a dry suit isn't going to cut it. So is it likely that he made it appear that the Jennie Lee was taking on water and was going to go down, and then he basically got Debbie into a life raft, pushed her out, and then went and swam cut the bottom of the life raft and then waited for Debbie to be in the water and then fix whatever issue who was on the Jenny Lee, dragged the or for dragged the life preserver back, fixed the issue that was on the Jenny Lee, made it operable, and then went and drove the boat over to wherever he needed to go to go dispose of this evidence.
Speaker 1: I think so. I think that it would have taken him a couple hours to do all that in the dark. And I do think that they left the boat at a different location than Larry said, which would explain like why she was found seven miles away, because it seems implausible she could have floated that a distance, but he could have traveled there by boat. And she did not actually get into the water at nine pm, It may have been much later, and then she floated an hour a mile to the spot where she was found. He spent the time disposing of the evidence, and then he went to shore and called for help with the Coastguard. With this whole cover story.
Speaker 2: It's like he thought of half the things, but not everything. He took a lot of variables into consideration, but the way that he went about doing things, and I think, just with his limited knowledge and limited act says to the way that investigations were conducted and the way that investigators would approach a murder investigation slash an accident. I could see, like you'd mentioned earlier, and it resonated with me, is that he probably thought that this was just a tragic accident, and or he thought that that's how it would be perceived, that the authorities would be like, oh, my goodness, he had this accident with his daughters, and now this has happened with his wife. Poor Larry. And look he on a safe boat. He called a deputy over to take a look and to make sure that it was safe. And look, I've got two life preservers here. What a guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, But like most of these narcissists are not as clever as they think they are, and it wound up being his undoing. And I think the only reason that we've even heard of this case is probably because he managed to convince Debbie's parents that he was a good guy. It's still not entirely clear to me who actually took this case to Unsaw mystery, but it would not surprise me if Larry's daughters and Debbie's side of the family approached them and they probably thought, well, the evidence kind of shows he's guilty. But this is going to be an interesting story because of the ambiguity the mysterious aspects, so we're gonna put it on the show. But if that had not happened, I think this case would have elanguished an obscurity and no one outside of Minnesota would have even heard about it. But for whatever reason, Larry just got very lucky that he managed to convince the parole board to release him without admitting guilt, and he's going to get to die a free man. So yeah, obviously there's not a lot of ambiguity here about how we feel about this case. It's not one where we're debating guilt or innocence. So is there any further thoughts you have on the death of Debbie Race?
Speaker 2: This is just really frustrating because I feel like we know Larry because we know him through his actions, and so I can I feel like I bought the vibe of who Larry is and what he's done, the type of person that he is, But there's just so much less information about Debbie out there, and so so I wish that I knew more about the type of person that she was and that who she left behind that loved her and the way that they felt about her, because it's easy, just like with the Kathleen and Michael Peterson staircase murder, it's easy for Kathleen to get lost in the chaos, and it's for it to be all about Michael and everything Michael related, because he's such a big personality and a big character, and I think that we're seeing a lot of that in this case. And also it doesn't it doesn't really help the situation that it was a case from nineteen eighty two. It's like forty something years ago, so we aren't going to have the information available. And I just truly hope that his daughters and that Debbie's daughters and Larry's daughters went on to have a really great life and that they spent lots of time with their grandparents, and that those grandparents, because of their support to Larry for Larry, had access to them, and that they had close relationships, because that was all that remained of Debbie on this earth, And that is my hope in prayer for them, And that's pretty much it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much feel the same way. I do think it's a shame that we don't really know much about Debbie as a person. Because Larry has been the subject in this case, and that even Debbie's own parents and during their interviews, spent more time talking about Larry in order to support them. But I kind of think that Debbie got lost in the mix, and it is kind of sad that her legacy is there's nothing wrong with her, like that's the most glowing thing anyone has ever said about her in interviews. But yeah, you can imagine how terrifying it would have been for to be like out there on a life raft in the middle of a freezing cold lake in the middle of the night, and then realize that your husband has betrayed you and slashed the raft and that you're going to die like a slow, agonizing death in the water. So yeah, you just have to feel immense sympathy for her. And I do hope that their daughters, even though there's some pretty harsh truth about their father, have gone on to live good lives.
Speaker 2: And honestly, like I can't help but think about the whole Robert Wagner Natalie Wood case where we see the parallels with Debbie being really afraid of the water, and we see it being so dark and it would have been cold and we know that Natalie would like, for those of you who aren't familiar, she had an intense fear of water and was scared her whole life that she was going to drown or die in water. And then she ends up on that boat with it was Robert Wagner and it was Christopher Walkin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it seemed like Robert Wagner was jealous over some potential flirtation between co stars Natalie Wood and Christopher Walkin, and something might have happened there. And I'm more inclined to believe that Robert Wagner did something, in my personal opinion, allegedly, but this case, I can't help but get shades of that. And my heart breaks for Natalie Wood and my heart breaks for Debbie because when you are so deathly afraid of something, to have that be the thing that kills you, and for it to be at the hands potentially of the person that you're supposed to love and trust the most is just such a horrific way to have your time on Earth end. And that saddens me really.
Speaker 1: Deeply, definitely so at the very least, even though there really isn't a case to solve anymore because his investigation is officially closed and we believe the right man went to prison. At least we can still memorialize someone like Debbie and closing, I just want to say the owl didn't do it in this particular case. I just want to make that clear. So that about brings an end to our two part series about the death of Debbie Race. Thank you so much for your continued support, and we will be back next week in order to talk about another case.