Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty. You're listening to Dean Sharp the House Whisper on demand on the iHeart Radio app. Hey, do you know this very program is also the House Whisperer podcast that you can listen to anytime, anywhere on demand. Hundreds of episodes, all searchable by topic. It's your home improvement reference library that we've built for you, eight years worth of shows there for you at your fingertips. Every mistake I've ever made on the radio lives in perpetuity. Yes, it's very humbling. Yeah, yeah, which is why I don't listen to them. But you should because in between my radio mistakes you will learn some things, life changing things about your home. Also, if you're thinking that's all great, Dean, but what we really need is Dean and Tina sitting in our house talking about specifics, you can do that too. You can book an in home design console with me and the All you have to do is go to a house Whisper dot design for more information House Whisperer dot Design. All right, we are spending today as we spent yesterday, this weekend, this last weekend in twenty twenty four, talking about trends and predictions for homes, home decor and all that kind of stuff for twenty twenty five. I have a very unique take on it because I am a real home designer and therefore I don't participate in all of the bs that it ends up on social media and interest ye kinds of things. I love all that stuff. By the way, as far as you know the site, you know, the ability for people to see things that they haven't seen before. I'm not criticizing that, but this time of year, Uh, everybody and their brother has a list of trends, and most of them don't come from professional designers or architects, and as a result, what we get is a lot of information. So I'm trying to cut through that for you so you understand what is legit and what is not. What's legit and what should you quit? Oh my gosh, did he actually do that? Yes? He did. All right, we're going to get back to that subject in just a bit. But top of the hour. You know what that means, it's time to go to the phones. I'm going to talk to Brad. Hey, Brad, welcome home.
Speaker 2: Yes, Hi, thank you for taking my call. I have a back door of my house that sticks and it. I will stand the doorframe, and it will seem to last for about two or three months, and then all of a sudden it begins to stick again, and it makes it very difficult for my wife to open the door.
Speaker 1: Okay, you said you stand the doorframe, in other words, the jam in the wall.
Speaker 2: That's correct.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, a couple of things. Number One, when we say that it sticks, do we know is it the entire side of the door that is sticking or is it sticking near the top?
Speaker 2: Is sticking near the top?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I got you. Why how did he know that?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Here is the thing, my friend. Number one, stop standing the jam. Okay, let the jam just be what it is. If if we are and sometimes it's worth doing this. If we're going to make a modification to a door that is sticking, we actually alter the door. We cut and or plane and or sand the door, not the frame. Okay, we stand the door, which means, you know, maybe taking off weather stripping temporarily and getting to the door itself. There does need to be an adequate clearance. So the idea of just standing just enough to make it clear right now and then cold weather hot weather kicks in or a little bit of moisture or a little bit of dry and it changes the dem intionality of the door and it gets stuck again. So just as a general rule, As a general rule, you want to be addressing the door. Now I say all this, and you're going to tell me it's a steel door, exactly, Okay, all right, So it's a steel door. So there's no standing the door. So in this situation, how long did it function well before it started sticking on you?
Speaker 2: I would say it's I haven't had a problem probably for ten years, and then all of a sudden.
Speaker 1: All all of a sudden. Okay, yeah, all right, So here's the other thing, and here's where I'm going to earn my keep. Okay, this is what I want you to do. I don't put down the sander, don't go any further with any of that. Right now, what I want you to do is I want you to open up the door, and I want you to take your Phillip's head screwdriver, and I want you to remove one of the screws from one of the hinges in the jam side of the door. Okay, I want you to take that screw down to the hardware store, the big box store, wherever. And the reason you're taking it with you is because you're looking at the width of that screw. And you're also most importantly looking at this size of the head of the screw and the fact that it's a beveled back, beveled head. And I want you to find the longest screw that you can find. Would screw that you can find that has that same size head. In other words, we're going to replace some screws on your hinges that whose heads will fit nicely, seat nicely into the hinge. Okay, But when I say long, I'm not talking about the you know, the screw that you're going to pull out is going to be three quarters to an inch long, that's screwed into the jam the doorframe as it were. Right, the screw that you're going to replace it with, I want that screw to be three inches long, Okay. And here's what happens. Okay, we don't really notice it, Okay, it's not super noticeable, but the weight of a whole door on a three hinge door, half of the weight of the door is hanging off that top hinge. Okay, And even though the hinge itself is solid and doing its job. The fact is that hinge was installed in that door jam with a short screw. Now that if the plate of the butt of the hinge is even at all starting to loosen up and door, if the frame that it's in, if the jam has shifted at all, this is what causes a door to start sticking. And the reason I knew it was sticking at the top corner is that it's because not because the door is swelling, because if the door was swelling, or if the jam was swelling, it would swell uniformly down the length of the side and you would be stuck top to bottom. But because it's rubbing at the top, it means that when the door is shut, it's actually tilted. It's leaning. And the only reason it's leaning is even if it's not perceptible to you those that top hinge has shifted in the jam itself. So here's what we're gonna do with these three inch long screws that you're gonna buy at the hardware store. You're gonna come back and you're gonna take all of the screws out of the top hinge, not the door side, but the jam side and we're gonna get your screw gun and we're gonna go all the way and we're going through the jam itself. We're going it's not we're not gonna any longer support this door off the jam. We're gonna drill right through it, and we're gonna go right into the two by four trimmer, the wood stud that's on the back side of this thing. And when you do, you're gonna snug it up, and you're gonna actually see the hinge snug and you might even see the jam leg shift and move a little bit. But you're going to put three or four, however many screws your hinge takes of these long guys right on through, and then you're gonna close the door and you're going to be amazed because suddenly the door is not going to be rubbing at the top anymore. Okay, I will do that, all right, my friend. That's the trick. It's something that not a lot of people notice at first, but it's not rocket science to fix, and it's going to save you a lot of labor trying to the problem is when you said that you've sanded it and then it was free, and then it got loose again, it's just because the door just tips, is still tipping, and it's still falling into the jam. So the problem is on the hinge side, not on the you know, not on the latch side of the door, and it's at the top because it's leaning. So I hope that makes sense to every feel free. If you've got a door that has been problematic or even a little wobbly, go ahead and use the long screw trip. And I will tell you this. When I hang a door, okay as a door, hanging as a finished carpenter for years and years now has been the case. Number one. I will set the jam itself at the very top with a hidden long three inch screw that's down in the actual routered area of the hinge where the hinge going to cover that screw. And then we will go ahead and use longer screws to dig into the stud that's on the other side of the jam. And guess what happens. These doors They never rub, they never sag for the life of the door. That's all it takes. Got to tie into the framing better and it's not going to failure.
Speaker 4: I promise you're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: We're talking trends and predictions for twenty twenty five today. But right now I am taking calls. I want to go back to the phones. Let's talk to Sandy. Sandy, welcome home.
Speaker 5: Yes, Hi, Hi Diane, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 1: You're very welcome. How can I help you?
Speaker 3: Yes, I have a shed top got it from top shed. It's six by twelve sheet. It's on the side of the house. But we would like to insulate the roof the ceiling. I just want to get an input from you and you know what kind of insulation should be be seen.
Speaker 1: What are you planning on doing with the shed? Why are we insulating the shed?
Speaker 5: It's just in the summer, it just gets a lot of sun in that part of the property. And I'm putting all my most of my gardening tools there, and you know, for delster, all that stuff, and also some probably cushions for a part of set, and any extra stuff that we need to put away, like the coolers, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, I got you. And you just don't want it excess, you know, you don't want things melting down in there. I get it. A tough shed, a tough shed, a typical framed gardens. I'm very familiar with tough sheds. We have several on our property. Tough sheds use kind of a two by four truss kind of roofing system, which makes it very strong, small roof, but very lightweight at the same time, And and so you only got a limited depth as far as the kind of insulation that you would put up in there, I would absolutely recommend that you go because it's not a big area, and so this is not going to break the bank that you would go with rigid foam insulation. Rigid you know, rigid foam panels that and for two reasons. One, when you're whenever you're using rigid foam, you're getting better insulating value for a thinner area. And secondly, the rigid foam insulation will be foil backed, and that foil is going to help a heck of a lot that shiny foil backing because it's going to effectively reflect back and kind of shut down a lot of infrared transmission that's coming in that wants to come into the shed. So a tough shed roof I would absolutely, without question use rigid foam with foil backing, and if you're not worried about, you know, the aesthetic inside it, you could just leave it at that. You can just put it up there, cut it nice and let it be and it will serve you well.
Speaker 5: And do we do I have to put drywall?
Speaker 1: You don't have to put drywall. Not with the rigid foam. You'll be able to attach it into place, even with some toennailed screws or even nails that will hold it into place for you and you'll be good to go.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, Because I've been looking at the insulation available at the big box stores. They're R ratings, ours thirteen, R thirty. It's just so many choices. And those are not the rigid pham panels that you're talking about right right now.
Speaker 1: You can find the rigid foam panels at the big box store further down the aisle. Just be looking for them. But yeah, they don't come into big packages. They're not the lofty fiberglass, squishy stuff or the blown in stuff. These are just ridgid foam panels. And you're not going to get our thirty in there. But you don't need our thirty. You don't need our thirty because it's not a living space. You just need to be able to knock down a good amount of that heat, and the rigid foam is going to do it best for you, I promise. Sandy. Thank you for your question, thanks for the call, Thanks for hanging on as long as you did today. I hope that helps, and good luck on that shed. Let's talk to Leslie. Leslie, welcome home, Hide.
Speaker 6: How are you?
Speaker 1: I am well? How can I help you?
Speaker 6: I'm renovating my dad's house. I inherit it in San Marino and one hundred years old, and I've been painting and chasing and doing this well. The realtor lady was telling me I should refinish the tubs, but I personally don't think I should because now I'm going to maybe open a can of worms with potential plumbing issues, but I would They're not in bad shape. Do you recommend any good kind of cleaner or something to make it kind of sparkle?
Speaker 1: Okay, so the tub cast iron tub under year old house. Is the porcelain chipped or is it just dull? What's what? What are you dealing with?
Speaker 6: I don't think there's really much going on with it. I think the only thing is like one hundred years ago. In hell, not too long ago, probably about maybe fifteen twenty years ago. My dad put a little touch up around the faucet itself, like a little white kind of thing, you know, just to I guess maybe some of that metal was coming through. But other than that, it's an excellent condition. So I hate to get it refinished because I've seen where they peel and they do all crazy things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's tough. Well, let's see so and and you're not looking to you're not looking to pull those tubs out because you just don't want to mess with it. You don't want to mess with the tile around it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I have the original pile from back then and they're beautiful and they're in excellent shape. So I hope that somebody will enjoy it as much as we have. But it's one of those things where I just want to kind of clean it up a bit and just kind of give it a little more oomph. And the same thing with the flooring. I have those little piles and I was wondering about that as well. And one other question about in the shower, you know, they had the wall up on the top. So I was wondering if you had a suggestion of what kind of pain I should use up there.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's like a closeted shower, like a like a correct Yeah, I know these very well. Those literally back in the day where we were first doing showers, and we're like, well, just put them in a closet. Just put them in a closet. It's dark, you're surrounding, Okay, So all right, the tub, there's there's not a ton Unfortunately, there's no magic bullet for the tub or the tile, honestly, but there are if you'd do your research, if you go to your local tile shop, you can find some high coil and not the big box store, but your local tile shop. You can find some decent, decent okay, not bomb proof, but decent glazes that like a seiler that has a pretty good glaze on it that brings a little bit more shine out. You could use that for the tub and for the tile. It's not going to last forever, okay, but it can bring a little more gloss and a little more out of the tile and the tub, especially if it's not something that's just getting used constantly, day in and day out. I agree with you. If the tub is in decent shape, even if it's a little dull, just go with it. Just just go with it, go with the fact that you give it a good cleaning. You can clean it with just any number of materials. I would just stay away from the abrasives, okay at this point, and we'll be a tub like that. Stay away from the even the barkeeper's front, you know. Just I wouldn't use the abrasive cleansers. You could use bleach, you could use white vinegar or anything like that that that will do a good job of getting in and getting a really good clean out of it, and some light brushing, But stay away from the abrasives, especially if you're not wanting it to look any duller than it is. It'll be brighter, but it'll leave it duller. So right, yeah, there you go. There you go. That that kind of stuff would be the way that I would direct you for those things. But you could get it. You can get a seiler that once it's really really clean. This is true of the tub, porcelain and the tile, that you can put a seiler on it and get some you know, short term I mean it'll it'll it'll be shining for as long as nobody starts using it and then but if somebody's showering in the day in and day out, then you know, six months down the road, it's going to be back to it's Matt finishkin, which is at the end of the world because it's not expensive stuff and you could just reglaze it again if you wanted to. That's about as much as I don't paint it. Please don't paint it, because that's I'm not.
Speaker 6: Going that'll be the upper part of that shower stall, the box shower. Is there recommendations for some kind of paint or it doesn't bubble or something else when you have the moisture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is true, and I would do this with the whole bathroom by the way, personally. Uh. And that is that first of all, you're going to get all that chipping and peeling stuff off, You're going to get it sanded down and prepped really really well. You're going to get a really high quality primer on there, Okay, onto the walls, and then I want you to go to your local Benjamin Moore dealer and get Aura A U. R. A Aura Bath and Spa. Okay. It is literally the and and you can get it in Matt. It doesn't have to be glossy and shiny. You can get it in Matt.
Speaker 2: Finish.
Speaker 1: It is literally a paint that is designed to take heat and steam and moisture. That's why it's called bath and spa and look JUGI gorgeous without reacting to the water in a negative way. Literally, it's made for that kind of thing.
Speaker 6: Then spell that out for me one more time.
Speaker 1: Aura A U r A Okay, Benjamin, it's a Benjamin Moore live is Okay. So you want Aura Bath and Spa spa perfect?
Speaker 6: Okay, you're the best. Thank you, you're so I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for your call. Happy New Year, and good luck on that San Marino house. San Marino. That's uh, that's Father of the Bride neighborhood right there, my friend Sam. I grew up very close to there, not in it. How I would have been so fortunate. No, No, I grew up near enough so San Marino.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: But yeah, what a class gorgeous Los Angeles actually Pasadena neighborhood. Beautiful stuff, all right, y'all. When we return I'm gonna give you more off of my list of predictions and trends for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: You are Home with Dean Sharp, the house Whisper. That's me. We're here talking about predictions of trends for home decor and design for twenty twenty five. Nearing the end of my list, but I still got some good stuff to talk to you about.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: Let's get back into it, shall we. Uh Here, I say, I teased you before we were taking calls that the next thing I was going to talk to you about was flooring. Flooring, there's one very specific trend that is growing in temperature. It's hot, It's I don't know if it's hot, but it's deafly getting hotter. And I'm again glad about it. Seems like there's a theme that several of the items that are on this year's trending list, the legitimate items, they're harkening back to an older time and we're seeing them manifest again. And this one is no exception to that. This is a wonderful example of that. And that is whether it's tile or wood flooring. Herringbone, herringbone. You know what herringbone is, right, It's that zigzag pattern. Now, herringbone is about as classic a flooring pattern as a flooring pattern can get. What's amazing about it is that it's so classic that you can put any period of furniture with it, and it works. If you tour through Europe and look at one hundred two hundred, three hundred plus year old homes and villas, you will find herringbone floors. If you travel and find ultra contemporary homes, you will find herringbone floors. Because it's such a heavy geometric pattern, it works with absolute contemporary design, and it works with old world design, and designers are rediscovering it and pushing their clients toward at least considering it. I love herringbone floors. I absolutely love them. They solve all sorts of problems too. By the way, let's say you got this, and these are problems sometimes brought on by open concept, open plan flooring ideas, and that is that you've got one room that runs kind of lengthwise this way, and it's now connected without walls to another space that runs ninety degrees perpendicular to it in another direction. So if you've got traditional plank flooring, you've got to ask the question, well, which way should we run the pl playing flooring. Now I have a cheat for that too. If you want to use plank flooring, you set it at a diagonal, at a forty five degree diagonal for both spaces, and it works. But herringbone is an absolute example of just that, just in shorter format with more detail on the floor. And so here's the thing that I want you to consider, taking this from the mouth of a professional home designer as opposed to getting caught up in the retail cyclone of well, I want our new floors to make such an impact, we've got to step up the budget and let's just let's just buy more expensive and more expensive and more flooring material. Yeah, you could go that way, or you could make a powerfully beautiful, elegant impact by simply taking a modest flooring material and installing it in a classic pattern. And that is my love for herringbone as a pattern for flooring. Okay, Also, by the way, also my love for herringbone as a backsplash tile or anything like that. But whether you're using porcelain tile, planks or whether you're using hardwood or even there are now luxury vinyl planks a few on the market who are that are designed to be capable of being installed in a herringbone pattern. You know what, give it a solid look. Look online, look at photos of herringbone floors. You don't have to have all this drama in the wood itself, in the tile itself. If right back behind that lovely surface is this pattern. It's not a loud pattern, it's not you know, it doesn't jump out and take over. Okay, it's a floor, but it's such an elegant way of doing a floor, and it's such a beautifully detailed pattern. And what goes with it everything with it. Round furniture goes with it, Square furniture goes with it, Rectangular furniture goes with herringbone. Herringbone fits in any room, running in virtually any direction. Okay. And as I said before, it is so old world that you could go back and emulate a three hundred year old period room, or you could be installing it in an ultra modern, ultra contemporary setting, and it works perfectly fine. Herringbone Rediscover Herringbone in twenty twenty five. It's not for everybody, and it's not for every house, but I will tell you this, if you haven't thought of it, if you haven't considered it, and you're thinking about putting in new floors, pump the brakes and take a look and see if the entire level of the room can't be elevated and amplified by a beautiful, consistent floor pattern like that laying down on your floor. There you go. Now need to know this. Is there any additional cost to herringbone? Dean installers are probably gonna charge you a little bit more to run herringbone than just straight plank, okay, And because the herringbone floor is going to be hitting the walls at a forty five degree angle, that means it's going to create a little bit more waste that can't be recouped and used like on the other side of the room, which is sometimes what we can do with plank flooring. But is it worth it? And will you save money by purchasing a less expensive, lessugi loud draw attention to itself flooring material and installing it herringbone over something really really expensive set on a traditional pattern, Yes you will. You'll save money and you'll have a better result in the end. There you go. Last thing that I'm gonna I'm gonna leave this for the other side of the break. Do you know what color drenching is? Okay, Well, if you don't hang tight, and when we come back, I will explain to you why it is a well deserved hot trend for twenty twenty five and beyond, go nowhere. Color drenching coming up.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was just talking to Elmer. He was checking out Elmer was checking out herringbone floor. He's like, man, I need so cool for me. Aren't they cool? They're awesome? And then I was telling him that it actually came from it literally comes from, you know, a herring, the fish fishbone. If you look at their skeleton from the side and or from the top, you'll see that diagonal pattern the way that the bones tie in. And I don't know who named it. It was hundreds of years ago. Somebody said it's like a herring, the bones of a herring. Okay, that's fine, but yeah, that's where it comes from. Very very cool, and it's always nice It always feels good when even my colleagues here at the station are like, you know what, you know what you just said? That was actually cool. Thanks all the time. I'm glad. I'm glad. I'm here to help. All right, I got one more for you? Do I I? Oh, yeah, I do. I teased you before the break whether you knew anything about color drenching. You know what color drenching is, well, you could sort of imagine. It probably has to do with taking a color and just like saturating everything everywhere with it. It is pretty much kind of that thing. But you know, we gotta standard control here, so color drenching you're gonna hear about it if you're going through trending lists. Color drenching is take some random sound, and color drenching is taking a single color in a room and using it on all the walls and the ceiling. Now, Dean, I've been listening to your show for years, and you are a huge advocate of feature walls, of bold color and letting the other things go. Because you say that when we paint every wall and the ceiling all some wild color, it gets to be like a cave. And you're absolutely right, and I really am not being hypocritical or turning a one eighty when I tell you that to color drenching is the exception to that rule. Here's how we do color drenching in a room. What we do. Number one, the plan is we're not using wild warm colors. Okay. I do not color drench a room with anything on the warm side of the spectrum. No reds, no oranges, no yellows, because that just gets crazy town. Okay. Number two, I don't use overly dark colors because unless we're literally just trying to create that dark, deep, moody space, but a pleasant color drenched room, a room that could be a bedroom or a dining room or anything like it. What we're going to use is we're going to use muted paints in the cool side of things. Greens and blues, okay, not gray. Gray is boring for this kind of thing. We want color, Okay, gray is technically not a color. So we want these cool, you know, colors that set a mood almost I dare I say pastel, cool pastels, but not like baby blue or anything like that. Right, A muted, naturalistic color. And then we're not just painting a room. What we're doing is actually we're using this technique to increase the amount of detail on a wall and a ceiling. So what I mean by that is we take this room and we say, you know what, I want to panel this room. I mean, I want to put panel applicas all over this room. I want to take flat moldings and create all sorts of panel designs geometric floor to ceiling on all these walls. But I love that look, but I'm afraid it's gonna get too busy. I want that big old base board coming off the floor, but I'm afraid that, you know, once I paint the wall and the baseboard is standing out, that it's gonna get too busy. Or these panels, once they stand out against the rest of the room color, it's gonna get too loud and too busy. Or if I put even applicase like Dean was talking about earlier in the show Feature Ceilings, if I put the same kind of applicate panel on the ceiling, it's just gonna get too busy. And you're right, it could, and it seems a little counterintuitive. But all I can tell you is the tension that is created by what I'm about to describe ends up becoming in most cases just stunningly elegant. And it's this go ahead, panel out, crazy town, trim all over this room, okay, and then ceiling included if you want, and then paint it all the same color, no differential from the floor edge right on up across the ceiling, all one color, the trim, the wall, the window trims, everything all one cool, muted, naturalistic color. And you know what the floor stands out in contrast. That's it, and then all the furnishings in the room that's it. And it, if it's done well, can be I don't know, scrumptious, elegant, beautiful, tasty, You pick the adjective of your choice. If you need to see it, absolutely you need to see it. So again, go online search color drenched room and you'll see, hopefully a good example of what I'm talking talking about. It's bold, it's a bold move for you to make, but it's not bold in the sense of loud or gaudy or anything like that. When it's done well, it's done with just this beautiful. It's as if we've done all the paneling and that's a bold move forward, and then we've painted it all the same color, which, by the way, you could also do with white, okay, And by painting it all the same color, we've muted the paneling and pulled it back a step. So we've taken a bold step forward and then we pull it back half a step, and what we get is this tension in between anyway, color drenching. Look it up. It is a hot new trend. I'm glad, but it's got to be done well. All right, It's got to be done tastefully. It's got to be executed with a good amount of planning. But it's worth you taking a look at. It's worth your attention. It could make all the difference in a room for years and years to come. All Right, That's about all we've got today for this weekend, everybody, This last weekend for us in twenty twenty. For the new year is looming right around the corner. It's coming at us on Wednesday. And I'm sorry, what was that, Tina, No, don't worry about that. I'm going to leave you with this thought today. Some people hate New Years, isn't that true? Yeah? I run into a lot of them. Actually, they say, you know what, it's a day just like any other day. There's nothing magical about it or the hope that it promises us, because you know what, life just turns out to be the same. I totally get that. I feel you so much on that. Okay, so I'm going to jump in that camp just for a second, not hating New Year's but acknowledging the truth about it. There's nothing intrinsically magical about New Year's Day. If you didn't know January first was New Year's Day, nothing would alert you to its arrival. It would just feel like any other day. It's not nothing, though, Okay, it's the beginning of another lap. Astronomically speaking, within a few hours of New Year's Day, the Earth will be at its closest point to the Sun. It's called the perihelion. And no, you're not going to feel it, but it's true. And here, in the first days of winter, which is where we're at right now, floating in the vast expanse of the universe, our tiny blue world begins another year long journey around our star. And what makes New Year special for those who choose to make it special is that we mark its arrival. We all know it's far too easy for us to allow one day to roll into the next, and the next and the next, and before we know it, we're wondering where the time is gone. So human finds ways to mark our laps. We mark birthdays, we mark wedding anniversaries, we mark work anniversaries, we mark any anniversary. We can get our hands on any lap that we can number in order to remind us the time is passing and we're not getting any younger. So yeah, it's true. Nothing about the clock striking midnight makes us new people, with new lives, unburdened from our past, free from our present circumstances. New Year's is not you. New Year's is not absolution. New Year's is not healing. New Year's is not a fresh new start, unless, of course, we choose to make it so. And there is the magic, our resolve to do better, be better, live better. For a bunch of little monkeys caught up with big burdens and even bigger worries, I think it's a good thing to get some perspective, to mark a lap. Remember that life is short, time is passing, and we're not getting any younger. So if we're looking for things to change, we want to get free from the past. If we want to heal, if we want to be better and do better and live better, then hey, let's pick a day and celebrate. If there's magic in New Year's Day, you, my friend, are that magic, your dreams, your resolve, your choices. No, the New year will not do it for you, but if you want it to be so, today can be the day that you choose to build or rebuild yourself a beautiful life. And I hope you do. And so with that, I'm going to wish all of you, from Tina and I and everyone in the Sharp Plam a very very happy New Year, and we will see you right back here next weekend. We'll see you next year. Until then, have a great one. This has been Home with Dean Sharp, the House Whisper. Tune into the live broadcast on KFI AM six forty every Saturday morning from six to eight Pacific time and every Sunday morning from nine to noon Pacific time, or anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.