Speaker 1: Just watch him as were so many peace to see.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, let's do this this morning. Boy do we have a lot to talk about today. And we're going to talk about weather off and on throughout the day because we got some interesting things on the way. For that, well, we'll cover that. But we're in spring. We are officially in spring. I know the weather is not cooperating. It's throwing a little fit this week. But that's okay, that's all right. It is spring. You know, if you are looking at your lawn and your garden and trying to make decisions, is it time to do this? Is it time to do that? Well, I can tell you that us we got a hard freeze coming and so we don't want to run out there with something that's very tender. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't go get it. And I'll talk about this through the through the course of the show. Uh. For example, tomatoes, I'm picking up tomatoes today as a matter of fact. Now it's going to get too gold to plant a tomato. But if you don't get them now, the best ones, the ones you really want. Other people know about those, they're going to go pick them up themselves. And I can't tell you how many times I've gone to get a tomato plant in past years and it was picked over. You know, they're still good tomatoes, but the ones I wanted weren't there. So what I do is I buy the little tomato plants. Now take them home, water, you know, put a little dilute fertilizer on them, bump them up into a larger pot, put some of that uh Nelson's genesis in the in the soil, and just keep them growing. Put them outside as much you can't. If it's cool outside, that's okay. Tomatoes have to get used to cool nights. If it's cold, bring them in, and so you get a head start. You got the plant you want, And that's what I'm talking about. Don't let the freeze throw you off of your gardening game. Don't do that. For example, last week we had eighty degrees and I would just I'm still about ready to crawl around the lawn a little bit and look for sprouts of crabgrass and other things starting to germinate, because I'm telling you those things fifty five degrees soil temperature and crabgrass starts germinating. So you need to get ahead of them with your barricade. Barricade is a nitroposs product. If you've been struggling with weeds that are just difficult for you to manage in your lawn every year, here they come the cool season weeds of warm season weeds. Right now, warm season weeds are ready to germinate, so head them off at the pass, put down barricade watered in. You need about a third half inch of water or something like that just to get it down in the sole surface. Any pre emergent has to be put down into the sole surface with a little bit of an irrigation. A ten pound bag of barricade'll cover five thousand square feet, so it goes a long way, gets rid of broadly feeds, gets rid of grassy weeds. In fact, I say gets rid of them. You never even see them. And now if you wait until after they're up, our options for controlling them are fewer. And in fact, as it starts to get hot, they become even fewer. So why not prevent them in the first place, and barricade will do all that weeding for you. And you're going to find barricade at places like D and D Feed and Tomball. You're going to find it at Plants and Things out in Brenham, K and m A's Hardware and Kingwood Carries Barricade, many many places, widely widely available through all of our ace stores. As a matter of fact, let's turn out to the phones here. We're going to go to Spring and talk to Frank this morning. Hey Frank, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 3: Hey Skip, good morning. Quick question. I planned June first. It'll be five years. Ten mixed myrtles in the back and seven have done really well. Three you know they're not doing as well. I was out there last week and I never noticed they have like almost a lime green color. It's it's not. I thought it'd be a powder, but it's not. You know, coming from the main trunk all the way out to the end of the branch, is there, what is that I do fertilize? It did more last year the blue bag three times. I don't know if that's too much fertilized or what.
Speaker 2: No, that's not. Sometimes you see a lichen. Sometimes an algae can grow on the on the outer bark. Neither one is a disease. It's just out there, you know, on the outer dead periphery of the branch, so I wouldn't worry about the green as far as you know. Wax myrtles, they're they're native and they're very tolerant of our conditions here. If they're not growing, I would I would probably look at are they getting dependable moisture and are they are you fertilizing them? And if you're not, maybe kick that up a notch to try to spur some growth.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Fertilizing today is not going to make them grow this week because it's it's cold weather, but it's always a good I idea in small doses to get out there and keep your shrubs moving with some fertilizers.
Speaker 3: Okay, well good, nothing wrong then, all right, I appreciate it, thank you.
Speaker 2: Not really, And and wax myrtle takes wet conditions pretty well, so you know, normally with the shrub, i'd say, yeah, maybe it's a little soggy wet there and the roots can't get oxygen or something, but.
Speaker 3: Pretty yeah, I know, I fertilize them. I water them to make sure those especially those three. The other you know, the other seven are doing fine now their established really well, it's just these three, so hopefully this year they and they shed, right, they do shid during the winter, all of them.
Speaker 2: Correct, Well, no, they're no, they're in They're kind of evergreen. But it just depends on the on the weather. You know, we get a good hard cold snap and you can you can lose some foliage. But they should they should retain foliage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do. Every year they all shed especially completely, No, not completely, just you know, maybe a third of the leaves every year. I noticed it. I just thought that there was normal.
Speaker 2: Okay, how long have they been in Frank.
Speaker 3: It'll be five It'll be five years June first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they ought to be establishing. I'll tell you what one option be to send me a picture, let me take a look at the site, see what they're doing, show me a distant shot, and then get a close up of the like the green stuff you're talking about or whatever. I'll take it. I'll be happy to take a look at it. But other than that, I think we pretty well have covered it. I'm gonna put you on hold, and if you want to hang around and get an email, you're free to do that. Yeah, that is the case. I'll tell you. Boy D and De Feed store up in Tomball. They are loaded with everything you need, including chicks. Right now they have started their annual chick arrival and it just comes in waves. So you just need to go check them out, going, go check out their website and you know, go do whatever you need to do to keep up. They have a whole page just on schedule of when they're getting chicks in and they have a bazillion different kinds of chicks that are coming in. So if you're into chickens, I promise you this, they've got at least a dozen chickens you never even heard of coming in there. They are. It is amazing how they're set up for that. Of course, they have everything you need for that, you know, the feed, the waterers, the coming up here. We got some gold weathers. They got the little heat lamps that you that they gather under when you hang them down around where they are h d and de feet it's three miles west of two forty nine and Tom Ball. Of course, when you're there, grab you your nitrofoss, your microlife, your turf star, your medina, your heirloom soils, your Nelson plant food, and on and on and on everything you need to have success in your lawn d and d feed is going to have it two eight, one, three, five, one seventy one forty four. We're going to take a little break and I'll be back with Tony from Kingwood. Alrighty, welcome back to the garden Line. Let's keep going here. We've got a lot of things to cover today. I do want to remind you that we got some coal weather coming this weekend. I'm going to go into some details about the kind of coal we're having and the kind of things you would want to do about that. So stay tuned, hang around, we'll be we'll be right back. Well, we'll we'll be right back. We will talk about some of the things that are going on that you need you need to be aware of and know about. Out in Katie, Texas is a really special garden center for all of you on the west side of the Great Houston area out there. This is your hometown, hometown garden center and it's Nelson Water Gardens. Nelson is right off I ten, So if you're heading out you know I ten towards San Antonio direction, Nelson's you get to Katie, you just turn right on Katie Fort Ben Road and it's just across the tracks just a little bit right there on the right hand side. They are always loaded with everything you need now Nelson water Gardens and nursery or nurse in. Watergardens is a combination place where you can a get all the plants you're looking for and the products you need to have success with those plants. Remember brown stuff before green stuff. Don't go home without plants without going home without products. And it is also the place where you can create a water garden that is unbelievable. The sound of water in the backyard is one of the most cathartic things. Water and bird songs are just their therapy. It is nice. They've got the fish for the water gardens. They have the plants for the water gardens. They have the containers, the disappearing fountains that you know, the water goes over the top of the container and sort of just disappears into the ground and then it's being pumped back up through again. They invented that system. By the way, it's unbelievable. Nelsonwatergardens dot com. Nelson Watergardens dot Com. You need to go out there and check it out. We're going to go now to the phones and head out to Kingwood to talk to Tony. Hey, Tony, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 4: Hey doing today? Well, say, here's the thing. I got a lemon and a lime tree and about a thirty five forty gallon and those landscape or black containers. They're probably about three years old now. Well, anyways, they're blooming crazy. I took them in during the last snow and I'm going to probably take them in again. My question is to you, is fertilizing them. I don't want to go out and buy a big, huge bag of fertilizer. I just want enough to make sure I can fertilize them properly. What suggestions do you have that you know, maybe they have a small container of it or something, just to put it in there. Like I said, they're only thirty five forty gallon containers, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Would look for Nelson Plant Food has a line called nutral Star, and in the nutri Star there is a little jar fertilizer. It's a clear jar with a screw top lead. It's called cetrus Fruit and Avocado. So any basically any fruit that you're growing it would be a good choice for that kind of a gradual feed over time. About every three months. You just sprinkle it around in the container. You know, in a container you're just gonna be measuring it out by the teaspoon. Get around a tree or shrubbing the ground, and you can putting it out a lot more. But neutral star citrus fruit and avocado probably did one of your best choices. And it's available pretty widespread through the area. I think you may find it out at Jerry's Hardware stores out there. You may find it out at Warren Southern Gardens, you know, places like that.
Speaker 4: Right, that's what I was looking at, something like that. Now, the other question I got, I want to raise them up again. You know, after a couple of years they have sunken down with the dirt maybe a quarter what's a good time to basically lift them out, put some more soil underneath them and continue. But what's the good time? Because I've lost so many trees and over the past freeze in the last ten twelve years, I'm tired of it. That's why I'm bringing them in the garage now again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good idea, just to you know, strap them to a dolly and say your back, so I would say, you know, as we get ready to. We're kind of looking around, going, hey, I don't think there's can be any more freezes here we get into you know, in your area you're up in the king would probably sometime and maybe mid March or something like that. You just lay the pot over, slide the tree out, don't grab the trunk and try to lift it out of the pot, take a look at the roots, cut any roots that are going in a circle, and then put some fresh dirt in the bottom and reset it. Water it in real good.
Speaker 4: How did you see to do that? Again? I missed that part about not grabbing the trunk, So I usually grab the bottom of the tree and try to you know, work it out and then bring it upwards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can do that. Then you're you know, you kind of got your knees or feet trying to hold the pot down while you lift the tree up. And I've strained my back that way. And plus some plants and this is probably not your citrus, but some plants it just you can get. You can break some things trying to pull them by the trunk up out of the ground when they're when they're connected to that pot real tight. So I'll lay the pot down kind of bump it with my hands, roll it over, bump it a little bit, and then that tree will slide right out to the side. There's no need to lift it at that point.
Speaker 4: Correct that everything in the past. Yeah, I just didn't hear you that part where you I put them on its side and kind of hit the size and roll and it comes out easy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And when you when you put that new soil, fresh soil in there to kind of lift it up. Uh, mix in some of why you're getting Nelson's. They've also got something called Genesis and it's a it's a it's made for transplanting. So you mix it into the potting soil that you put in there. You can sprinkle a little more on the top and that that works really really well too, and then just continue as you're as it's growing and you're feeding. You can use the citrus fruit and avocao. The Genesis is more of an organic type product that isn't going to burn roots or anything.
Speaker 5: Great.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, thank you sir very much for the information.
Speaker 2: You bet, thanks for the call, man. I appreciate that a lot I mentioning earlier ACE hardware stores. ACE is set up for whatever you need to do. I mean, right now, I have got the barbecue fever. I've been looking at some Tragger grills and I'm kind of getting interested in this Tragger pellet grills. I have a Weber Girl, and Ace has Weber Aces, Tragger. Ace has every main brand that you can think of, including things like the Big Green Egg and here comes Spring. If you've got some propane tanks and you need to get those exchanged or topped off, however you do it, talk to your local ACE store. That's where I'd start with that. If you're going to be doing some outdoor spring cleaning and renovation, maybe your deck could use some receiling or replacing us some boards and things. You need to take care of that wood so that it does last, and ACE has everything you need for that. While you're in there, grab some air filters. You buy three, you get one free, and you're supposed to be putting them in every month, you know, So go ahead and get your little stock supply ready to go. At ACE Hardware, and there's a lot of great Ace hardware is around, you know. We've got the K and m Ace up in a Tascas Seda. We got Bay City Ace Hardware, Donad Wharton, there's Wharton Feed and Ace. I was out there giving to talk a while back. Hamilton Hardware off Highway six near Bear Creek. All just examples of the many, many ACE hardware stores in our area. Let's go now to Texas City and we're going to talk to Matt. Hey, Matt, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: Hey, good morning, Skip. How you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 5: Hey, got a quick question. We have our lemon tree and it had suffered a little bit from the breeze. It did really well, but it seemed to drop ninety percent of its leaves. Well, it's got great new leads coming in, I mean everywhere, But it seems like every time we get new leads coming down on this thing, it's either eat up by some sort of bugs or catagillars or something like that. I was just wondering what would be a good way to protect all these new leads I have coming in, the new leaves.
Speaker 2: Well, number one, keep them out of the weather. You're about to beginting here this week. Excuse me, you want to keep them out of that weather? You uh, you know, the leaves ought to hold up. Okay, as long as you have moist soil, but not soggy conditions. So these are in containers, right, No, sir.
Speaker 5: It's in the ground, you know, in text the city. And I don't think we're gonna get you know, maybe in the mid low forties, So I'm not too concerned about that. It's just seems like they're always eat up by bugs every spring, okay, especially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, just watch and see what you're seeing. It's either going to be caterpillars or beetles if it's literally eating the leaf. Now, there's things that you inside the leaf called leaf miners that cause the leaves to shrivel up and curl. But if you're seeing leaves literally chomped something ate them and ran away, then that's a caterpillar or a beetle that's doing that. And they're products that are very low toxicity that you can use to control those. As far as the fruit drop, anytime citrus gets stressed, it will do that. They tend to drop fruit anyway when they set a heavy load because they know they can't carry all those to maturity, so they'll drop. They'll abort some of the little ones, and sometimes it's a pretty significant loss of fruit. But that's just the tree balancing itself out. If you add drought to that, or if you add any other stress to that, then you're going to even have a greater fruit drop. So alleviating stress is the main thing in your power. Love, all right, all right, all right, sir, thank you very much. I appreciate your call. Our phone number they got to give it out today. Seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two kt listen Warren seven Gardens, Kingwood Garden Center right now, they've got a Valentine's Day special going on for those of you out there in the Kingwood area. Warren's, by the way, is on North Park. Kingwood Garden Center is on Stone Hollow again. Both open seven days a week. If you buy a flower pot and four little items, you get twenty percent off the entire order, and that that's any size pottery and any four items that you put together. Just talk to them about their Valentine's Day special. This would be a great time to put together a combo container, you know, one of the a little bit larger pots where you plant a group of different kinds of flowers that really are attractive together. And warrants can tell you how to do that. They're experts at creating combination planters, so you can they can get you set up on everything that you need. They just got two container loads of pottery, so both of the stores are really stocked up out there. They got some really nice statuary. Whatever is of interest to you, saints, animals, golfers. I mean, there is statuary for everybody. And of course they're loaded up on their microlife. Something that I think is really of interest is their pro trade landscaping tools. And now these have a lifetime warranty and they have a huge selection of them. So if you're tired of buying tools they just break or fall apart and don't last. They're not quality. Go out to Warrens or King say I want to see your pro trade landscaping tools, and you will see some really nice stuff. They serve that whole area out there. So I keep saying Kingwood. But if you're an humble of Taska, set of Porter Valley Ranch, New Caney, any of those areas out there, this is it. Now you're gonna find out there. You're going to find everything you hear me talk about, like microlife and Nitrofoss and Nelson turf Star and Heirloom soils and Nelson plant foods in the jars like we were talking about earlier. Everything like that is going to be out there, so they'll get you set up. Warren Southern Gardens on North Park Drive, Kingwood Garden Center on Stone Hollow open seven days a week. And by the way, with these garden centers, you need to when you're not at once to say I want to get on your mailing list. And they have a little mailing list. They have a little kind of a newsletter thing that goes out that is very very helpful and it keeps you up the date. You find out about sales that are coming up, you find out about new arrivals, so really important to do that. Let's head out to Cyprus now and we're going to talk to Terry. Hello, Terry, good Morning's scared of How are you this morning? I'm well, sir, How can we help?
Speaker 6: Well? Was Donald planting my new potatoes this morning? And I want to bottom journey. I buy pretty good sized potatoes that have pretty decent sprouts on them, and I cut them in half and let them be dry out for a couple of three days, and then I plan them some bonemeo, okay, want of potatoes this time? They pretty well picked over, and they're small, maybe golf ball size to twice that size, and the sprouts were not very well established. Right, so I'm concerned that you lock it on about cut them in half to get a sprout on them.
Speaker 2: And I'm pretty good.
Speaker 6: I'm concerned that what when I plant those, either they're going to be real delayed and coming up, or they're just not going to produce.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, what's your feeling on that? All right, well, Terry, I've got thirty seconds to break. If we need to hold you over, we can do that. What Okay, there's a process called chitting c H I T T I n G chitting potatoes, and you put them on the counter and you let them kind of start to sprout. In those warmer conditions, they'll start pushing the sprout out and you can kind of watch them and see and plant the best ones that you have. Those immature buds that haven't developed as much. Yeah, that's going to at least be a delay in them coming up, and it's time to get them going. Hey, I got to run, but hang on if you want, and we'll continue this discussion. Folks will be right back and.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, we're back.
Speaker 2: We're going to head back out to Cyprus and continue our conversation with Terry this morning. All right, Terry, So we're talking potatoes and we got some that have undeveloped buds that you're a little concerned about, and for good reason, where do we go from here?
Speaker 6: Well, I think since it's not a big purchase, I only plan about fifty plants, I may just go ahead and try and find some bigger potatoes. And I don't have much patience, but I do have one other questions.
Speaker 7: You've got time?
Speaker 6: Is it too late to put out pre emergent herveside to control weeds?
Speaker 2: No, it's prime time. Go ahead and get it done though, And it's primetime.
Speaker 6: I have a bag of nitro tross fifteen to five ten with weed killer we control.
Speaker 2: You should should I just bypass.
Speaker 6: The barricade or and put that out? Or would you?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 2: Here here's the here's the thing on this, Terry. The weeds that you see now are cool season weeds and they're about to go to seed, so you would want to use something that kills them after the fact that they're up it's called a post emergent on those before they sentence you to five more years of pulling weeds out there. Now, the weeds that are going to be here all summer, they're sprouting as we get especially early into early March, and you want to have the pre emergent. The barricade type product would be for that. Now, Nitrophoss sells fertilizers that have both a post emergent and then they have a different product that has a pre emergent. The post emergent is going to have the trimec in it, so you wouldn't want to use fertilizer twice. So if you're gonna, you know, you can do a post emergent with your fertilizer to if you have broad leaf cool season weeds and that would work, or you could just use a pre emergent, or you could do both. But if you're gonna, if you're gonna fertilize, just fertilize once. So put out like the fifteen to five to ten with the trimac for example, if you're if you love those night Foss products and they do work very well, and then use the barricade as their pre emergent and then that way you've covered the weeds that are cool season that you see now, and you're shutting them down for they go to seed, and then you're preventing the warm season weeds that are going to be sprouting very soon from coming up. Okay, got you. Hey, I appreciate you guy.
Speaker 3: You're a big help.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Thanks, appreciate your Kyle to take care alrighty our phone number seven one three two one two kt r H seven to one three two one two kt RH. We'll be happy to help you with whatever kinds of questions that you might have. There's a lot a lot of good things out there that we can be doing right now. I tell you you know, as I'm looking forward in this week, we're going to have that cool weather and I'm actually going to be getting together some seeds and doing some seeds starting indoors, because I don't want to go outside when it's you know, for below freezing and stuff. I mean, I could survive it, but i'd stay inside and get some of that done. Also, house plants, it's a good time to be taking care of those. But for me, it's going to be mainly seeds starting. I've got some seeds that are a little bit later. I hadn't gotten around to planning them, and we'll be doing that in the house as well. Now you've heard me talk about tree hugger sprinklers before, and if you have a tree that even when you've planted in the last five years or so, TreeHugger sprinklers are so I love this design. It's a little hinged sprinkler. Think of you open your put your thumbs together, and then make like a pac Man c shape with your hands, And that's just how it works. It just hinges right there where your thumbs come together, and it makes a circle around the tree. So when you look up to a garden hose, then you turn the hose on just enough to water the roots system that you want a water. So maybe you planted a tree this fall or this winter, maybe you're planting one this spring or even summer, especially in summer, you need a tree hugger. Hey, you just turn it on a little bit and you water enough to soak that root ball. After it's been in the ground for a year, or as it's going through its first year, you're gonna wet a larger area. You just turn on the water a little higher, I mean, and these things come in through sizes seven inch, eleven inch, and fifteen inch and they last. Rosarians love them because you know, you put them on a new rosebus and hey, February Valentine's I'm just saying it works really, really well. If I had a tree, even one that had been in the ground for ten or fifteen or more years, and we go this summer into a long hot dry spell, you don't have to turn on your water all the time to water your trees. You can put that tree hugger under there and do a rescue treatment and water the area beneath the branch spread and that's a rescue treatment for your trees. So it helps a very expensive component of your landscape to survive. So you're not buying a new tree or to grow faster, so you're not going you know, I bought this tree. I want a beautiful shade tree, and it's just sitting there, Well, was sitting there because it's struggling for water and survive. It may live, but it's not thriving. With tree hugger, they can and you can get tree huggers at D and D feed up in Tumble you can get them at League City feed down in League City, Enchanted Gardens and Chanted Forests both carry those out there r CW Nurseries as the tree Hugger sprinkler, as does Warren Southern Gardens and Kingwood Gardens out in Kingwood Arbor gate Way up and tom Ball there and Nelson, I say Nelson water Garden and Katie they have not there as well. Spring Creek feed up toward Magnolia direction. It's easy to find them Southwest Fertilizers, Sinkle ranch Ace, Katie A's k and m a s and a task Asda task aseda A's and fulshiare ace. Just lots of places. So in other words, you're going to find one, but you need to get it when you're not using it. Just hang it up on the garage. It'll be there for you. But I'll tell you this, if you have trees or shrubs, and especially if you've got young ones that you're gonna plan or haven't been planning very long, tree hugger is a way to save your money on that investment and get more out of it as well. I think that's a really cool design. If you can't tell I love those things, I think they think they work really really well. Did you know Microlife fertilizer is they're sixty four. That is the summer lawn fertilizer that we use when we start I say summer, we start it in spring. It's the number one selling organic fertilizer here in the Houston market and it's been around. Microlife products been around for over thirty five years. I was a little new to the party. I think it was about ten years ago that I began to use Microlife products myself. They're natural. They don't burn like a salt based could if you overdo as salt based fertilizer, Microlife is not going to burn. It's safe to use turf grass azalias. By the way. They have a fertilizer for azilias, for flowers, For vegetables, yes, they have fertilizers for those trees, shrubs, roses and things you can use in containers. I like their liquids. One of my favorite liquids for foliage plants is the Biomatrix. It's an orange label and it is an extra boost of nitrogen in the Biomatrix works really really well. Now you're going to find you're going to find Microlife forertilizers all over the place. If you want, you can go to Microlife Fertilizer dot com and see where all they're sold. But I can just tell you this Ace Hardware Store, Speed Store, Southwest Fertilizer, Our garden centers, mom and pop garden centers all over town and more carry the Microlife. Time for me to take a break and we'll be right back with our last segment of this hour. But we have plenty more to talk about, so stay tuned.
Speaker 9: TV jobs reduced to the expenses, looking for corruption versus t madness.
Speaker 7: Federal judge has Waltz flap flock access.
Speaker 9: Our news brackets are busting with the latest flex stay in the game.
Speaker 10: We've used Radio seven j z RH.
Speaker 11: Jerry Reynolds is my go to carj are and you better believe I've got big plunge for him in my new administration. He's won so many awards and it'll make your head spin that I can tell you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jerry, your terrific.
Speaker 7: Corp dot com.
Speaker 12: Discover the value of a well maintained home, the BPC, Total attic Remediation and wildlife Exclusion. Our services include total attic Remediation, insulation, replacement and a breeze removal, ensuring your home stays energy efficient and wildlife free. Experience the benefits of new insulation, which can save you approximately eleven percent on total energy costs. Don't wait for rising energy bills or on one to guests. Visit our website at www dot Best Price Construction dot net or called two way one four four three one one two two to schedule an appointment with our estimator.
Speaker 7: TODAYCLA three nine eight Oney, Hey mister Morow, Well, Hey there fella, you've got a bit of a spring in your staff.
Speaker 13: Pretty proud of myself, mister m got me an amazing Moro tuneup.
Speaker 7: Say that's thinking ahead, Yeah, learned it from you, mister Morrow. Well, now don't give me all the credit. You know, people who get a furnish tune up this time of year are what we call smart cookies. No foolin', no foolin'. Did you know most repairs we do here an amazing moro could have been prevented by doing regular Moro tuneups. You mean, I may have prevented a breakdown? Could be if nothing else that tune up is gonna make your furnace last a whole bunch longer. Wow, and you're gonna see lower utility bills too.
Speaker 13: Holy moly, everybody ought to get an Amazing Moro tune up. I'm gonna go tell as many people as possible.
Speaker 7: I think you just did amazing. Make sure your furnace is winter ready. Just schedule an appointment now at Amazingmorrow dot com.
Speaker 14: Hey, it's ramon many listeners. It's time to start planning for your retirement. Start by visiting dollars and since radio dot com, that's the easy to navigate website for Doug Horn. Dougs hosted his radio show on KTRH for over fifteen years. Now it's the Dollars and since radio show hurt Saturday's at one pm and Sundays at three pm.
Speaker 15: Seems everything costs more these days, gas groceries, and when's the last time you checked your wireless bill hikes When it comes to big wireless, if you're staying, you may be overpaying. Here's how to get the same fast, reliable, nationwide coverage without the big wireless bill. Switch to consumer plans start at just twenty bucks a month, and that's not a short term promo. Our US based experts will get you switched and saving in about twenty minutes. Call one Triple eight Freedom or visit Consumer Cellular dot com and start saving today. Plans include five dollars credit for autopay and e billing.
Speaker 16: Did you know you can get your prescriptions for less at your local pharmacy? You can with good Rx. It's the free app that can save you money on your medications. Just search for your prescription, choose the pharmacy and the price that works best for you, and then show your good Rx coupon to your pharmacist at the drop off counter. Good Rex works at over seventy thousand pharmacies, including Walmart, Rite Aid, and Walgreens. And it works whether you have insurance or not. It's easy to save next time you drop off your prescription. Check good Rx To start saving today, go to GoodRx dot com. Good rx is not insurance.
Speaker 2: Say there you go, All right, welcome back to the garden line. Good to have you with us. Hey, if you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. Have you been to buchanans Plants lately? If you haven't, you need to go check it out. Buchanans is well, first of all, it's just a fun place to go. Whenever I go into Buchanans, I just I find myself, let's just say, spending some time there, because you walk around and you see stuff. Then you got to look into u's like what is that plant? I haven't seen that plant before. You know, they specialize in natives, but they have everything, not just natives, but you know, I'm constantly seeing a plant like, well that's a new one. You know, if you're into house plants, tropicals, indoor tropicals and things, they got stuff you've never seen, like, for example, the Philodendron Colombia or the monstera esqualeto. Yeah, I hope I said that right, the amid drums, silver and more. See ye're going what are those? We'll go buy Buchanans and find out. Their house plant greenhouse is huge and it's great. They got plenty of seeds on hand there. The gift shops are awesome, and when it comes to your gardens, they've got all the vegetables and flowers and herbs and fruit, trees and shrubs and just on and on and on down the line. If you like to do companion planting, you know where you put different kinds of plants together. Go check them out. They've got wonderful herbs and many other plants that either have that fragrance that helps with the companion relationship they have with other plants, or maybe they help bring in beneficial insects. And so when there's a bug on your plant, you've already got the good guys that are flying around or crawling around there to help you out. Right now. They're four inch winter veggies or two bucks four inch winter annuals or a dollar and some really really nice other events that are going on up there today. Gay Hannon's gonna be up there doing a propagation class from ten to eleven, and so another reason to swing by there Buchanan's Native Plants. So the minute I quit talking here, Gay starts talking at Buchanan's Native Plants. If you've never heard her before, you got to because she's a hoot and she knows a lot. She can get you off on the right track. While you're at Buchanan's website, go ahead and sign up for the newsletter. It is awesome. There's so much good educational material they're on eleventh Street in the Heights. And here's the website Buchanansplants dot com. Buchanans Plants dot com. I was visiting with some folks at a garden club on what day was that, That was Wednesday of this week, and we were talking about different things. One of the things that came up. Oh, actually I was talking with some folks at Ace hardware stores too. We were talking about compost top dressing and air rating and just you know, kind of getting some questions that are related to, Okay, what is it, why do you do it, how does it work well? Compost top dressing and air rating, I think should go hand in hand. Now you can just do one or the other. That's fine, you can do that, But when you air rate, you go the machine. If it's a quality machine, like the folks at BnB turf Pros have that kind of machinery. It pops a plug out of the ground and drops it on the surface. So if you have thatch that soil that then melts away that you've dropped on this or they've dropped on the surface, helps break that thatch down a lot faster. That's the best way you can break down thatches. Aerating. If your soils are compacted, it gets oxygen down in the root system and you end up with a more robust root system and member brown stuff before green stuff. You make the roots happy, the plant's going to be happy, and if the plant's happy, you're going to be happy, because in the case of a lawn, you just have a more beautiful lawn. Golf courses are areas all the time, and B and B is a family owned service. They cover the area kind of from Sugarland and Missouri City on the north west end of their and then swing down Highway six. All those communities down Highway six, you know, Fresno, Siena, Arcola, Iowa Colony, Manville, that whole area right there, and then all the way up over to Pearland. That's the area that they trust. Now. They only use products that I trust here on garden Line. So the things I like about B and D is they use quality products. They are straightforward. Their goal is for you to be satisfied, and go look at their reviews and you'll see that they are achieving their goal. They provide honest quality work, high quality work, high quality products, and as a result, you will be satisfied with them. BB. The name of the company is b NB, but the website don't compuse this BB no end BB turfpros dot com, BB turf dot com. Seven one three two three four fifty five ninety eight. I'll give you that again. Seven one three two three four five five nine eight. Let's go now out to Kingwood again. We're going to talk to Woody this time. Hey Woody, Hey Skip.
Speaker 17: I called about a week ago and you had recommended a Nelson planting food product called Weedenator, and I found it at a place called Site one Landscape Supply in Humble. So I didn't know if your listeners wanted to, uh to to get that product, and that's where I found it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had. I'd reached out and talked to Nelson, and that stuff's available at a lot of different areas.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The spring has sprung on us and then the trucks are running and and uh so you know, if you'd been to a place and didn't find something, uh, talk to them and go back a week later, and they probably have it because they've been they've been getting that stuff out everywhere. But thanks for letting know. Yeah, Weedenators are great. A great product because it works in such unique ways. I think that's kind of cool. So did you get it down already?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 5: Are you?
Speaker 2: Is that still on the two do list?
Speaker 17: I was gonna wait on until next weekend after the freeze, so I was going to try.
Speaker 2: That, okay, all right, Well that's perfectly okay to do that, that's for sure.
Speaker 17: Well, we appreciate your show, and I hope you have a blessed day.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, appreciate the call. You take care. Yeah, the Nelson that's been a popular product this year. I've gotten I don't know, lots of emails and phone calls too about folks looking for Nelson products, and they are widely available.
Speaker 18: You know.
Speaker 2: The the The other day, I was at a training and ran into Andy. Andy's from Medina. Medina is a product company that's been around since forever. They they first started sponsoring Guardenline before it was garden Line, when Dewey Compton had the show, and they've been sponsored. I think I'm probably the fifth host or so to speak, for a Medina. Their products work, that's why they're still around. That's why people like their products. You know, if it didn't work, people wouldn't use it. Medina has one call has to grow six twelve six, and we're in spring planting season. Then if you're going to get a woody ornamental on the ground, like a tree or a shrub or a woody vine, if you're putting a fruit tree in, if you're putting a rosebush in, if you're putting a bedding plants, flowers or herbs or tomatoes, whatever, Medina has to grow six twelve six is excellent for watering plants in. Now that doesn't mean that that's all it does. People use it as a folier feed. They use it as an ongoing feed for plants. But especially when you're putting that plant in, you want that root system to have everything it needs so the plant hits the ground running. And that's what medina does. Okay you The six twelve six has got high phosp is very important for good root growth, to have plenty of phosphors there in the soil. It also has seaweed extracts. It's got humate humic acid that improves soil structure and it helps improve nutrient uptake. It's got Medina soil activators stimulate biological activity. This is a concoction. Medina has to grow six twelve six plant food. It's got you covered on all your basis. So when you plant a plant, get some Medina has to grow six to six, Put it in a watering can, mix it according to the label concentration, and drench that root system. Then a week later, do it again, a week later, do it a third time. And by doing that, you'll give your plant the best chance of as I like to say, hit the ground running, give it the best start that it can get. And you're gonna find Medina products all over the place. You're gonna find them in these hardware stores. You're can find the Southwest Fertilizer. You can find them garden centers, our great independent garden centers have those. It feeds stores, Oh my gosh, beads stores carry Medina products. It's easy to find them. But the main thing is get out there and find them and get them on your shelfs. So whenever you need that, you just reach up there and you got it. Because you're planting year round, You're you're taking care of your plants year round, and you always want to have a supply of things on hand to help you have success. Well, gosh, this hour went kind of quick, as they usually do. We're gonna take a little break here in a minute, and I will be back with your calls. If you'd like to call during the break, that's a good way to get right up toward the front of the line. And that's seven one three two one two kt RH seven one three two one two KTRH. Will be glad to visit with you about the things that are of interest to you. And if you're some of the folks that have been emailing me this week with pictures and things, let's go ahead and knock those out too. We've got some interesting pictures that have come in. Be glad to help you have success with that. Don't forget that. My website, gardening with skip dot com contains the lawn schedule for mowing, watering, fertilizing, what do use and when. It contains the lawn pests, disease, and we'd management schedule. That's a lot of words, but basically let's do it this way. The first schedule, the lawn schedule, how to have a beautiful lawn. The second schedule the pest disease, and we everything that attacks your lawns. What to do about it. That's kind of it.
Speaker 19: Both schedules have organic and synthetic options, and both schedules tell you exactly when, like the pest one, when do you expect that pest to show up here in the Greater Houston area and what to do about it so you can time it in the right way, because timing is everything when it comes to disease control, weed control, and pest control.
Speaker 2: Timing is everything. So get that download it, stick it up in the garage, put it on the refrigerator. You can take all those Christmas cards down and stuff. Now. Just put the schedule like that, We'll be fine.
Speaker 7: Welcome to Katie r.
Speaker 9: H Garden Line with Skip Rictor's shows.
Speaker 1: Trim. You just watch him as we may give me things to sup brass not a sorry gas sun.
Speaker 2: Alright, you all right, let's do this show. Let's talk gardening. We got a lot of gardening to talk right now, and we're gonna jump right in and do that.
Speaker 1: Have you.
Speaker 2: I was telling you about the watering device that I think is so cool for your trees because it helps that tree get its root systems established. I think you're probably remembering me talking about that. I think those are important, and because it's like an investment. It's an investment in the money that you've spent. It's cultree over sprinkler. There's another device though, it's called a three sixty tree stabilizer, and this is the same concept in terms of get one and take care of that new tree that you have instead of having to go out there and hammer tea posts in the ground three different directions. Get wires, get the little sections of hose or whatever, so the wire didn't cut into the tree, and you know, you create something now that you can trip over and it's just a pain in the neck. Why not just get a tree stabilizer. And here's why you should hammer tea post in the ground or put any kind of post. It doesn't have to be a tee. But they have a gadget that holds the teapot. It's about a two foot long arm that reaches out and the other side has a soft strap to hold onto your tree. Now, if you one is often enough to do that. But if you have a little bit larger tree and you know there's going to be more force of the wind on the leaves as the wind blows, you can do one from one angle and one from another, meaning like one's north south, one's east west, and that way you kind of hold it no matter which way the wind blows. These things last, and that soft strap allows the tree to move just a little bit, which is important. Movement helps create strength, strengthen the roots that are at the top that are bracing that trunk, strengthen the trunk itself, especially if it's a young tree that has a very very thin trunk. And three sixty tree stabilizers last forever. I mean you put them in your garage. They you know, anytime you plant a tree or an aghbor plant tree. It's a great little device and it works. You're gonna find them at RCW, You're gonna find them at a jorgez Hidden Garden down South, Cnmulch down South and West, Buchanus Native Plants in the Heights, Arburgate and Tomball Plants for all seasons on at Luetta in two forty nine. There's a lot of places where you can find a three sixty tree stabilizer. And I would highly recommend you know, you're spending some money on that tree or large shrub that you're putting in, and why not take care of it and help it as the best chance of being anchored and establish a good, strong root system, and then you won't need the device anymore, you know, once it's established. But in the meantime, it does a lot to protect that investment. And again, as I was saying earlier, to help your tree to have better growth early on, because you know, when you buy a tree, what's the first question, how soon can I hang a hammock in it? Right? We don't want to wait twenty years to be able to enjoy the shade of that tree. Tree sixty tree stabilizer, you ought to check into it. We're going to go out to Houston now and talk to Sherry. Hello, Sherry up in the garden line.
Speaker 20: All right, thanks for taking my call. I have raised beds with pansies and other flowers, and the pansies look like somebody took a pair of scissors and just cut them. It's only the pansies, not the other flowers. So do you know what that could be and what I need to do to treat that.
Speaker 2: So you're seeing a pansy pedal that looks like scissors cut through that pedal, is what you're talking about?
Speaker 20: Well, it's at the stem like it. It seems like they just cut the flower off.
Speaker 2: Oh, cut cut the whole so strange. Well, there are insects with chewing parts that are capable of that, beetles and caterpillars at this time of the year. You know, it could be either one. I'm just trying to think about it. But you see the flower lay in there, wilted, right, It's just it's not gone.
Speaker 20: Don't see the flower? Weird That's why it's so weird.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 20: I mean I've seen I've seen what what snails do, and but I've never and I've looked to see if there's any caterpillars or things like that, and I don't see anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Well, if the flowers missing, then it wasn't a beatle or a caterpillar. I thought it was just cut off. So if the flowers missing, then we start to think, is there any way you might have deer in the area.
Speaker 20: No, no, no, no, no. I live in a gated community and it's off fence.
Speaker 21: In this in the city.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, well that would be a possible. I'm trying to think of what else would want to nip a flower off of a of a pansy. I can't think of it. I can't think of another critter that eats eats flowers like that off the top of my head.
Speaker 22: Strange.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, it is very strange. Huh that is that is strange. I don't know today. Yeah, well yeah, and I just don't know what would eat. I've never had someone describe this problem before, so anyway, that that is a stumper. I I can tell you things you might do, I don't know. I hate to send you out to buy and do things when we don't know for sure what's causing it. But there's a little motion activated sprinkler that when something comes around your plants, it comes on and like a little machine gun, strafes some with water for about eight seconds and then goes off. That would keep that would startle a lot of things that might be coming up doing that possibility. I don't think it's a I don't think it's an insect if the flower is truly gone, not just cut off.
Speaker 22: Okay, that's strange.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, it's got to be something time. All right. Well, now now you got me wondering, maybe you need to get you one of those wild game cameras like hunters use around a deer feeder and then you can watch the video. All right, Cherry, sorry I couldn't help you all that.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's all right, all right, bye bye. That is very interesting. Well, Nature's Way resources up there toward Tomball on Interstate forty five, off Interstate forty five, right where fourteen eighty eight comes in. They are the grandfather of quality soils in this area. That's where rose soil was born. That is where the leaf mole, compost was born, and other things we talk about. You can go in there and you can buy a soil blend for fruit trees, you can buy so blend for vegetables or roses, you can just buy compost. You can buy a wide variety of mulches quality mulches that they make, and Nature's Way. All you have to do is go buy there and check them out, see what you got. You can have them deliver it. Some places around town do their products by the bag too, so that's another good idea if you want to go that route for it. Uh. And also you can just go out with your truck and get the products yourself right there at the store. So however you want to go about it, The bottom line is just go go about it. Here's the website, Nature's Way Resources dot Com. Go check it out. They got a big festival coming up you want to be a part of. And it's got the phone number, the address and everything, Nature's Way Resources dot Com. I'm gonna go away for a bit and I'll be right back. Hey.
Speaker 7: Remember this winter storm in Houston and.
Speaker 9: Frozen for overnight freezes, icy roads, even the White.
Speaker 23: Stone where they're getting snow and ice.
Speaker 9: Don't forget its Houston's officials severe weather station.
Speaker 8: Use radio seven k.
Speaker 24: T RH.
Speaker 7: Sarah Spain for Iheartwomen's Sports present in by the All Noon. Twenty twenty five's on Armada.
Speaker 25: Friday Night saw the finale of Unrivaled one on one tournament, and in a fitting finish, Unrivaled co founder and defeasent Callier emerged victorious, walking away with two hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 10: Callier of the Lunar Owls.
Speaker 25: And the WNBA's Minnesota Links defeated Miss BC and Washington Mystics forward Olya Edwards in the three game final. For more women's sports stories, be sure to subscribe A Good Game with Sarah Spain on iHeart podcasts.
Speaker 26: The twenty twenty five all new Niece on Armada can tackle almost any just in case moment you encounter, so go drive it today. Intelligent four wheel drive cannot prevent collisions or provide enhanced traction in all conditions. Always monitor traffic and weather conditions.
Speaker 27: There are a lot of hats. One minute you're ordering today's inventory, in the next you're planning tomorrow's expansion. It's complicated, but your business credit card should be simple. With the Signified Business Cash Card by Wells Fargo, you earn unlimited two percent cash rewards on purchases for your business, with no caps or categories to track. Signify Business Cash the deliberately simp Bold Business credit Card. Learn more at Wells fargo dot com. Slash signifying terms apply.
Speaker 20: The Garburgate's truly eming.
Speaker 26: This is my Disneyland, and I call this Disney Latin.
Speaker 16: I have a better chance of not killing something if I get the plants from Arbigate.
Speaker 26: I very rarely have anything die that I buy here, as.
Speaker 24: Opposed to Blowser Home Depot.
Speaker 7: You know, half the stuff I buy ends up dying.
Speaker 28: And you're going to find varieties of plants, tree shrubs that You're just not going to find that those other garden centers and everywhere you turn there's a new little treasure.
Speaker 9: Visit the orbigate on twenty nine to twenty and tomol or online at orbrogate dot com.
Speaker 12: Discover the value of a well maintained home with BPC, total attic Remediation and wildlife Exclusion. Our services include total attic remediation, insulation replacement, into breeze removal, ensuring your home stays energy efficient, and wildlife free. Experience the benefits of new insulation, which can save you approximately eleven percent on total energy costs. Don't wait for rising energy bills or on want to guess? Visit our website at www dot best Price, can st ruction dot net or called two way one four four to three one one two two to schedule an appointment with our estimator today.
Speaker 18: Insurance sold by smart Bunny Insurance services ain't underwritten by various insurance coverage exclusions and limitations may apply.
Speaker 8: Hello, Hey John, Mom told me you had a flood in your apartment.
Speaker 29: Yeah, the pipes above me burst. Tons of my stuff is ruined.
Speaker 8: You had Renters insurance, right, No.
Speaker 29: Never got around to it. Now I'm going to be out the cash to replace everything.
Speaker 8: John, Just get the smart Bunny app and get Renters Insurance in sixty seconds or less.
Speaker 29: Wait, I could have gotten Renters Insurance that covered all my stuff in less than a minute.
Speaker 8: Yes, you can get up to forty thousand of personal property coverage with policies starting at just fifteen bucks a month. Plus it comes with one hundred thousand dollars of liability.
Speaker 29: Coverage fifteen bucks. Oh man, I could have saved so much money if I'd had coverage from smart Bunny Insurance.
Speaker 7: I'm downloading the app now. Download the free smart Bunny Insurance app and get your renter's coverage in less than a minute. Don't wait. Protect the stuff you love fast and easy.
Speaker 1: Smart Bunny, Smart Bunny.
Speaker 30: For more information about contest on this station, go to KTRH dot com slash rules.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, alrighty, let's get back on guarden line.
Speaker 31: Here.
Speaker 2: We got things to talk about. The first thing I want to talk about is in Channy Gardens down on the Katie Bullsher side of Richmond. Hear me out here, hear this. I'm going to be there today from twelve to one thirty, and i hope you'll come out. I'm going to be giving a talk, first of all, on tips for making gardening less work. Now, who is not in favor of making gardening less work? I'll tell you about how to get more from your gardens with less sweat and ibuprofen. Yes, all of you north of forty I heard some amen's out there. I'll help you make your gardening easier, basically more productive, and certainly more fun. Remember that's one of the three most important things we do is have fun. We want it to be more productive. You know. We want to have a bountiful harvest, we want it to be beautiful, and we want to have fun doing it. And we're going to talk about all those things. We'll have a lot of fun in the process too. So if you know a lazy gardener, throw them in the car and bring them. We'll make their day. I'll cut down on their work. If you know somebody who is just enthusiastic, will come on out, bring them to I'll be there from twelve noon to one thirty today. Now you may look and see, well it may be starting to missed a little bit. That's okay. We're under a tent. There's no charge for this. Just come on out and we're going to have a good dry time out at Enchanted Gardens. And when you're out there you will find plenty of things to pick up. They are loaded with all kinds of plants. It's spring, of course, in Chenny gardens is load. They always stay stocked up on all kinds of things. If you haven't gotten your tomatoes yet, grab them today because I know it's gonna get a call. But take them home, start taking care of them. Bump them up to a bigger container if you want. But you got your selection at its best if you go out and get them early so you don't have to put them in the ground this week. Don't put him in the ground this week. Just put them in a container you can move in if you want. You move outside when they get a little sunshine. Come on out to in Chanty Gardens. I'm looking forward to seeing you out there. I hope you can make it again. It's on FM three fifty nine. FM three fifty nine Enchanted Gardens on the Katie Folscher side of Richmond. Let's head out now to League City and talk to Bill. Hey Bill, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 32: Hey, good morning, Skip, Thanks for taking the call. I have a pair of raised beds four feet by twenty five feet that are surrounded by pavers. I was turning some composts into the garden last weekend and I noted that it was covered with these one third to half inch spiral shell and I did a little Google search and it said these are white garden snails. The question, I have two questions for you. The first of those is what's the best way of controlling white garden scales. They were kind of all over where I had the p's planet, and I understand that they're particularly attracted to legos.
Speaker 2: Well, there are a couple of products. There are several products on the market for killing snails and slugs. The ones I like best are the iron based baits. There's one called slug O. I think there's also a slug O plus that has, in addition to the iron, some other kind of an insects side. That'll even a kill other kinds of little insects. But what happens is these snails come up and the bait looks good to them, and they eat it, and that excess amount of iron gives them a terminal case of constipation. So I'll just let you process that for a me. What a way to go. But that's how slugo baits and other iron fate baits work. But because it's just iron, you know, it's not like people that are more concerned about synthetic pesticides and things are especially fond of these. And they work, but you got to put them out in a good fresh quantity because you want the little critters to eat them and to get enough for it to be lethal. And so you need fresh bait and you need to put it out periodically.
Speaker 32: Okay, I had read that diatamacious earth is another option.
Speaker 18: What's your thought about D.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's practical technically. Well, D is basically like broken glass. So if you imagine if you had to walk barefoot through broken glass, that would that would cut you up and everything, and that's how it works, you know, with the slugs and snails and whatnot. But what happens is you get a few drops of rain or irrigation and it just sort of washes it around and it's not as effective. If you had a good dry, dusty environment, that would be fine. But I think the bait there's nothing wrong with doing de. I just don't think you're going to be fully happy unless you do it periodically to just try to keep fresh dee out there.
Speaker 32: Yeah, that was gonna be my question, because if you put it on the soil, then it's just going to wash into the soil. And if I put it on favors outside, then it doesn't necessarily work.
Speaker 24: On the snails.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, yeah, lego. The only other thing is, unfortunately those tails, those snails are too small. They're tiny, yes they are, and so you can't you can't make s cargo out of them. I guess you could, but you'd starve to death. All right, I probably will, thank you, all right, take care? All right, there you go. There, you got it. We love our feed source here on Garden Line and League City Feed done in League City, Texas is a great one. It's been around for forty years. Forty it's just that third generation of Thunderbergs that are running League City Feed. Grandpa built it over forty years ago in an Ochre patch, which I think is extra important because what can come out of Ochre patch is not a good thing. Right, So now you go down there. It's on Highway three, just a few blocks of south of Highway ninety six in League City and all those communities. You know, if you live in San Leon, if you live in Baycliff or Webster, Lamark or elkam Ino Reale, all through that area, Santa Fe, this is your hometown feed store. They are open. They are open until six Monday through Saturday, closed on Sunday. So if you're it's after work and you need to swing by and get some food for your chickens, or if you want to swing by and get some nitro phos fertilizer or azamite or microlife, or you want to get a Nelson plant food product or buy heirloom soil bags, They've got it and they're open till six, so you can do that. League City Feed two eight one eight three two sixteen twelve two eight one three three two one six one two. The weather I mentioned I was going to talk more about the weather, and I'm gonna do that right now. We are getting a really hard cold snap here midweek and depending on where you live. The last time I checked, and this is me looking at a weather app, so I'm definitely not a meteorologist. In fact, I have trouble saying the word. But when I look at it, it looks like Galveston's gonna be down around twenty five. Uh. And then excuse me, I'm sorry, yeah, twenty five. Yeah, that's right. And then you get up and you start to get on the north side of Houston just a little bit. Uh in Tomball areas is twenty and then you know, it just kind of varies as you go north and south through there. Those of you that are up in college station, up in Conroe, Huntsville, Uh, some of those areas are going to be hitting the high teens with the cold. And it's gonna be cold several days, especially further north where it goes above freezing. But you know, one morning it drops I think it's Tuesday morning, maybe drops below anyway, this temperature comes up and then it drops way below and temperature comes up and it drops below freezing again. So you got several days there they're very cold. Now here's the concern I have. Our plants last week got the message from the weather that spring is on the way. Eighty degrees quite a bit of eighty degrees. Now you probably don't see buds now shooting out two inch shoots, but the dormancy started to break down in our plants because of that warm weather. So what would be an adequately dormant plant and very cold hearty whatever the species is as cold hearty as it's going to be as we get warm weather, it's like they start to wake up. And when they start to wake up and those juices start to flow, a good, hard cold spell will do way more damage than it would have had the plant been fully dormant. So I'm not driving all over town checking every plant and interviewing them and so on. This is a generalization I'm making, but I'm just saying that I would be a little more cautious about this cold for two reasons. Number one, it's very cold. Number two, it's coming after some warm weather as we move into what is spring as far south as we live down here. And also because of the number of days that it's going to be cold. So you know, it's one thing, a typical freeze here in our area. You know, about four am, it drops below freezing a little bit, and then by the time you know the sun comes starts to come up, we're already back above freezing. And so it's a very short duration of freezing conditions when you get that cold, and then you drop down below it, I think the chances of damage are greater. Now that is me giving you my best estimation based on plant principles. Okay, hopefully I'll be very wrong about that, but if you're going to cover plants, I would make sure you do get them covered. You hold whatever heat of the soil is in around the plant. So what happens on a cold night. Soil radiates heat up because the soil is much warmer than the air. And if you put a cover over the plant and drape it to the ground and seal it around the ground with rocks or stones or sticks or whatever, depending on how much wind you have, you may have to do a lot to hold that cover down. Then that warm air is trapped underneath there. It still gets cold under there, but not as cold, and you can make a lot of difference. If you have a plant that is very prone to cold damage, like citrus, most citrus, then definitely going to need some heat underneath there. And that's where we use the floodlight with the little aluminum fixtures clamb on fixtures. Point them down, don't point them at the plant. Point them down, not at the plant, and say that again, uh, because they get so hot that they can do damage themselves to the tissues of the plant. But have that heat rise up, so you shoot it at the ground, it warms up and the heat will rise up underneath there. And that makes a lot of difference if you've created dead air space. So the bigger the plant, the more dead air space, the more heat you're going to have to have. And I can't tell you, you know, as one hundred and fifty white bulb enough that got me through with a hibiscus, a tropical hibiscus, they got meat through the last breeze we had. One hundred and fifty white bulb did, but it was in a protected spot on the south side of the house, and I you know, it wasn't as bad. You get out there and you get a big old let's say, a satsuma orange or a myrlemon or a centrus orange tree of some sort. Now you've got a bigger area of air to keep warm, and it's going to take more heat to do that. So there's not a formula for saying how many bulbs do you need or when do you need to use a heat lamp, as opposed to just one hundred and fifty wive floodlight. The thing to remember though, is incandescent bulbs, not LED. Not LED LED does not produce the heat that we need. If you want more information, go to my website Gardening with Skip find the publication on protecting plants against frosts and freezes. It is very informative and very helpful. But that's at the website free to download. Well, let's see here. Oh, I wanted to mention green Pro is our lawn care service company that does the core aeration and the compost top dressing in the north west quadrant of Houston. So think of Interstate forty five, Interstate ten, the northwest quadrant. They're out there Magnolia. They like to go about forty five miles from Magnolia, So Spring Cypress, Woodland's Conrad Willis, Magnolia, Montgomery, Katie, you know, West Houston. That's it, Northwest quadrant. Greenpro Texas dot Com are experts. They do the corporation. They can also do the compost top dressing. Greenpro Texas dot Com eight three two three five one zero zero three two. You need to call them. That's one of the best things you can do for your lawn. Time for me to take a break. I'll be right back.
Speaker 9: There are no Houston's news, Why there are traffic plus preaking news twenty four to seven.
Speaker 10: This is news Radio seven forty KTRH.
Speaker 9: Five Everywhere with er app more of what's happening now from the John Morris Services studios.
Speaker 33: The Doge team finding more waste. I'm Jarret Lewis said seven thirty on News Radio seven forty KHR eight. Here's another look at traffic with Gary Mack.
Speaker 34: Were are the following accidents from the six to ten north with eastbound at TC Jests or another from sixty nine the East Tax Freeway northbound at Hopper Working Now is a couple of crashes, both in the manage lanes of ien the Katie free Way, first up eastpund at Highway six over on the left shoulder and then westbound at Bonker Hill that is shut down. Not noticing anything that really stands out as far as delays go for either the ladder up for the mainlands. I'm Gary Mack Theegenerator Supercenter dot Com.
Speaker 10: Traffick center.
Speaker 7: Ahead of a coal front.
Speaker 12: There will be gusty wins out of the south today and periods of showers and thunderstorms with a high seventy four behind the front of clearing.
Speaker 34: Chann will take place overnight with gusty wins out of the north and a low dipping down to forty two.
Speaker 7: I'm Meteorologist Jeff mar from.
Speaker 2: The Weather Channel.
Speaker 33: Partly cloudy and seventy eighth the kh H Generator Supercenter twenty four hour Weather Center. It's seven thirty one. President Trump and Elon Musk. The media's attempts to divide them just won't work. An interview of the two with Fox As Sean Hannity will air on Tuesday. Doge says they found another one point nine billion dollars of taxpayer money wasted by the Biden administration. Nearly ten thousand more federal employees are fired by Trump this week, and a federal judge is delaying a request from unions to block Doge access to agency information. News on demand at kchairch dot com. I'm sure at Lewis News Radio seven forty k CHAIRH Future.
Speaker 35: Health access to weight loss meds like ozembic for less than three dollars.
Speaker 1: A day yatch dot com.
Speaker 36: Hi Jay White from Texas Gardner Great gardeners are gambling gardeners. An early Texas spring gives us the opportunity to extend our growing season by planning a bit early, and Texas Gardner magazine will show you how to do it. Our month by month activity checklist is written by Skip Richter, and it reminds you of when and how to perform the timely task that will allow you to get the most reward from your gardening efforts. If you are looking to plan happiness this spring, head over to Texasgardener dot com and start your subscription today.
Speaker 35: I'm Martro Castro, and I've been lucky enough to do stuff like Broad City Narco's Roadhouse, But now I'm coming out with my own podcast. Get Ready for Greatest Escapes, a new comedy podcast about the wildest true escape stories in history. Each week, I'll be sitting down with some of the most hilarious actors and writers and comedians, people like Ed Helms, Diane Gerreroro, and Joseph Gordon Levitt.
Speaker 10: I love storytelling and I love you.
Speaker 35: Listen to Greatest Escapes on America's number one podcast network, iHeart open your free iHeart app and search Greatest Escapes to start listening.
Speaker 9: KTRH traffic is powered by the Generator Supercenter dot com Traffic Center.
Speaker 2: This report is sponsored by all State.
Speaker 37: Wish you could save on home insurance?
Speaker 1: With all State?
Speaker 2: You could easily save and get quality protection.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's a win win.
Speaker 10: So what are you waiting for?
Speaker 2: Check all State first for a quote today. You're in good hands with all State.
Speaker 38: This report is sponsored by Jackson Hewitt. It matters who does your taxes? Jackson Hewitt makes taxes feel like a yacht rock song. Yet your max tax refund guaranteed and new customers get one hundred bucks to switch. Don't miss the boat. Book an appointment with experts today. Limited time offer for new clients participating in locations only terms at Jacksonewitt dot com.
Speaker 2: Insurance sold by Smart Bunny Insurance Services, Inc.
Speaker 18: Underwritten by various insure coverage Exclusions and limitations may apply.
Speaker 8: Hey, John, Mom told me you had a flood in your apartment.
Speaker 29: Yeah, tons of my stuff is ruined.
Speaker 8: You had renter's insurance, right, No, Just get the smart Bunny app and get up to forty thousand of personal property coverage with policies starting at just fifteen bucks a month.
Speaker 1: I could have.
Speaker 29: Saved so much money if I'd had coverage from smart Bunny Insurance. I'm downloading the app now.
Speaker 1: Smart Bunny. Smart Bunny.
Speaker 39: The free AutoZone Fixed Finder service can help you troubleshoot the likely cause of your pesky check engine light for free and help you save time and money down the road. Restrictions apply. Get in the zone AutoZone.
Speaker 3: How do you.
Speaker 1: My way? Please?
Speaker 2: Alrighty, welcome back to garden Line. Great to have you with us today. We're talking all things plants. You know what? You know what our next topic is? You tell me by giving us a call seven one three two one two k t RH. Callers get to ask the questions they want to add. Now I only answer questions about horticulture. Okay, I'm not able to do marriage counseling on the air, boy, am I not? And I don't help with you know how to get your teenagers off the couch so they'll get out and mow the lawn. I can't help you with that one. But I can't answer questions about horticulture. So let's talk about that. Seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H plants for all seasons. Is the garden center up there where Luetta and Tomball Parkway Highway two forty nine come together. So if you are let's say you're going in Houston heading north towards Tumboll Exit Luetta crossover Luetta, and it's just a hop, skipping or jump up the street there on the right hand side. They are are experts, they really are. They're true lawn and garden experts. If you're struggling with the lawn and garden issue, you can take pictures to them. You can bring samples in for diagnosis and solutions, and in some cases last rites. You know, there's times people bring me a plant and it's like, Okay, well I think it's time for last rights. I can't help you with that. No, seriously, they know what they're doing. They've been doing this since nineteen seventy three. They are gardeners here in the Greater Houston area and they have seen it all over those years. A full service retail garden center that knows how to turn your brown thumb green if you will by informing that thumb. If you are a green thumb gardener, well, if you take pride in your lawn and your garden well, and I know you do. You just need to visit Plants for All Seasons. And like I said, for the brown thumbs, haul your thumb in there and they'll make it green for you as they like to put it. Get your green on at Plants for All Seasons. Plants for All Seasons. Dot com is a website and the phone number two eight one three seven six one six four six two eight one three seven six one six four six. I'm gonna head now out to North Beaumont, I believe and talk to Jason.
Speaker 36: Hey, Jason, Hello, I've got a question skip about these little uh opposite of ladybugs.
Speaker 8: Are kind of orange and they get everywhere.
Speaker 22: Are they good for the garden or how do we get rid of if they're not?
Speaker 2: Okay? Well, without seeing a picture of it, I can't be sure, but I can tell you there's If they're orange, they are probably a lady beetle. There's many different types of lady beetles that have different markings and even different a little bit different size. The only other thing that comes to mind is a Colorado potato beetle, which love potatoes, but they're much bigger than a lady beetle. So I'm going to say about ninety percent sure you're talking about a lady beetle right now. They like to hibernate and typically they find their way into some protected spot to hibernate in the cool season. But you're seeing them outside.
Speaker 40: Right well that they're like get in the shed and they just thousands of them, and yeah about the spring summer, they're just laying everywhere.
Speaker 8: So yes, I do believe they hibernate.
Speaker 21: And they're about the size of.
Speaker 5: A pencil eriser on number.
Speaker 2: Two, Okay, that it's probably a species called the Harmonia lady beetle. It's got the lady beetle markings on its back, but in between its back and its head, if you look at that little section it's called the thorax, between the head and the back, you'll see big white splotches and maybe they're in the shape of a capital M. That's the harmonia. Now, it doesn't really matter which one it is. That's just one that is very vigorous. It's a great predator in our gardens. But some people even talk about that they will they will bite you, and that can happen. They have they have little pinching mouth parts, biting mouthparts. So it's they're capable of that, but they're not out to get you. Where we run into problems with them is when they invade people's homes by the Brazilians. That that's a little bit of a mess. Yes, sir, I wouldn't I wouldn't recommend controlling Yeah, I wouldn't recommend controlling them.
Speaker 21: Okay, well, all righty, thank you for the answer my question.
Speaker 2: All right, sir, thank you appreciate the call very much. That is for sure. Jorges Hidden Gardens is down there in Alvin, Texas. It's just outside of Alvin. In fact, the address is Alvin. It's seventeen seven twenty one Elizabeth Street, and he is. It just keeps growing down there. I mean, he's got a good supply of all kinds of plants. He's gonna always have good fruit tree selection. He's going to have roses, you know, like Peggy Martin's some beautiful roses hanging baskets, you know, herbs and vegetables and other things. Right now, he has an excellent supply of citrus. So if you're looking for a satsuma or a regular type of orange, a grapefruit, a mere lemon, even a variegated lemon variety. He's got that down there, along with all those great veggies that need to be going in your garden. That's at Orges Hidden Gardens on Elizabeth Street and Alvin. It's easy to find, it's easy to get in and out, and you're going to find some really good things when you get there. So go by, say hi to Jorge while you're there. By the way, you heard me talking about the three sixty tree stabilizer. I believe he carries those. You can even grab one while you're there at Jorges. Let me go now to Cove, Texas, and we're going to talk to Rufus.
Speaker 9: Hey, Rufus, I'm question my technique.
Speaker 3: If I killed this that it grows on the side of our tree limbs and stuff.
Speaker 6: It's a great thing.
Speaker 24: It's a real greeny green.
Speaker 3: I thought I killed that stuff, but apparently it could resistant.
Speaker 2: That is a that is some it's called lichen l A c H E N and it's not a disease of the plant, but it's often associated with declining plants. So people think, well, it's killing my limb, but actually the limb is declining and the canopy of the tree is opening up, you know, less folded shading at those branches, and you just get more like and growth there there is There are a couple of copper based products out there that will suppress the liking. It'll just keep coming back because it's kind of like mold and mildew. When the conditions are right, they're going to show up. You know, algae on a brick. If you keep that brick wet, it's going to grow algae on it.
Speaker 24: I mean the other day I walked by there and I went that thing is limey, darky green in places, and is like it's growing up killed this stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it grows back, Yeah, it grows back. Just know that it's not a diseasier plant. That's the good news. It's not a diseasier plant.
Speaker 3: Well, which is the one that they've been spraying for to keep from sucking life out of trees. Other than mill.
Speaker 2: Pope there, mistletoe's the only thing that sucks the life out of the tree. Ball moss, Spanish moss, and lichens. They are not they are not living off of the sap of the tree. Because you'll see lichens on fence posts and rocks.
Speaker 3: Okay, so okay.
Speaker 2: Alright, all right, good luck with it. But they absolutely are. I love them. I love watching them eat. Aphan's thanks, Rufus. Appreciate your call very much. That is for sure. As a mite is a mineral supplement that I talk about all the time, because your soil needs trace minerals and adequate supplies to support plant growth, whether that plant is a lawn grass or that plant is a tomato plant. If it's a plant, it needs trace minerals. And asamite comes in bags where you spread it out, it doesn't take much. It's a trace mineral. This isn't something you're dumping a ton of it on there. You're putting a little bit out. But the fact that you only need a little bit does not mean it is not every bit as important as the three one to two ratio fertilizers that you're putting out there in your lawn. You know, you hear me talk about fertilizers for the lawn, and that's the big numbers. Typically well, asamite is a trace mineral fertilizer for the lawn. It can be done anytime of the year. Forty four pound bag covers six to twelve thousand square feet. If you want more information, go to asmite Texas dot com. Now you're going to find asmite all over the Greater Houston area. Feed stores, places like Ace Hardware stores, Southwest Fertilizer, home and garden nurseries, the independent garden centers. In other words, the folks that are in the business here and know what they're talking about, they're going to carry azemite. If you are looking for it, it's not going to be hard to find. You can go to azamite Texas dot com for more information. When do you put it out? Where? You can put it out when you do your spring fertilizing, or you can put it out any month of the year that you want. It doesn't have to be at a particular time. It's not timed like our spring fertilizations are. If you go to my schedule, you'll see the trace mental supplements have a wide band through the year where we can put those sort of things out. Well, I am up very much up against a heartbreak. I will be right back with your calls in just a moment.
Speaker 7: Well, we rarely see the white stuff around here.
Speaker 10: Lizard conditions two feet of snow.
Speaker 9: It's the other white stuff ice, ice that can lock up our city treacherous driving conditions. Winter weather updates on US Radio seven OKAYTRH.
Speaker 12: Discover the value of a well maintained home with PPC Total attic Remediation and wildlife Exclusion. Our services include total attic remediation, ination, replacement into breeze removal, ensuring your home stays energy efficient, and wildlife free. Experience the benefits of new insulation, which can save you approximately eleven percent on total energy costs. Don't wait for rising energy bills or on one of guests. Visit our website at www dot Best Price Construction dot net or called two way one four four three one one two two to schedule an appointment with our estimator today.
Speaker 40: If you're gonna buy a Chevy Silverado Tahoe suburban, Mike Batches runs lone star Chevy two nine in Eldridge, I'm gonna give you his personal cell phone. Seriously test me two eight one eight two seven fifty two hundred two eight one eight two seven fifty two hundred. If you need a Chevy column two eight one eight two seven fifty two.
Speaker 41: Hundred, Houston, It's time to bring fresh homegrown Cyprus to your backyard with beautiful thriving citrus trees from Cornelius Nursery. From zesty lemons to tangy limes, hour cipress trees thrive in Houston's climate, giving you home grown flavor a year after year. Cornelius says everything your new citrus trees need, from modern plastic to colorful glease ceramic container, galloise organic container, potting soil, and his bone organic sipristone. To make sure your new plants get all their nutrient needs. Their Texas certified nursery professionals are here to help, So stop by Cornelius Nursery today.
Speaker 7: TCLA three ninet eight went y.
Speaker 13: Hey, mister Morrow, Hey fella, supposing and I'm just supposing, supposing we get another one of those whopper winter storms like we've had.
Speaker 7: I'm listening and supposing I get up in the morning and the whole house is cold, like your furnurse has gone kaput. Ha play worry not, fella, Amazing Morow is ready to spring into action for reels even on a cold morning. Every day, the Amazing Moro trucks get stocked full of pieces, parts, tools, and technicians.
Speaker 1: This means.
Speaker 7: That means when Moro shows up, we can almost always get your furnace running and me warm in one visit. That's amazing. Why that's the stuff Amazing Moro does every single day just for you. Quick to respond, quick to repair, we offer same day service.
Speaker 24: Wow.
Speaker 7: That means we're gonna get you warm as soon as possible.
Speaker 10: You guys, don't mess around, mister m.
Speaker 7: That would be the opposite of amazing. You mean amazing. Schedule anytime online at Amazingmorrow dot com.
Speaker 42: The fastest way to know what your home would sell for today is from a power home team of Keayler Williams. Simply text your address to eight hundred seven six three three thousand, no phone call, Just text your address to eight hundred seven six three three thousand to get your home's value.
Speaker 37: I want you to meet Candace. She's a young woman unsure about the future of the life growing inside of her. But after meeting her baby on an ultrasound provided by Preborn, she had a change of heart.
Speaker 43: He is like this tiny little spectrum of hope. And I saw his heart beating on screen, and I mean that sonogram changed my life.
Speaker 37: Ultrasounds save lives, and Preborn currently has clinics that do not have any ultrasound machines. If you have the means, would you consider a leadership gift. These life saving machines cost more than most centers can afford, and your tax deductible donation of fifteen thousand will place a machine in a needy women's center, saving countless lives for years to come. And now, through a match, your gift will be doubled. Donate securely called pound two fifty, say the keyword baby. That's pound two fifty, keyword baby, Or visit preborn dot com slash back that's preborn dot com slash back sponsored by Preborn curl.
Speaker 1: Man mass figures go on the tail.
Speaker 2: All right, let's do this make some man. I want to remind you that today today, today today, from twelve noon to one thirty, I'm gonna be an enchanted gardens out in the Richmond Rosenberger. They are on the Katie Fulscher side of Richmond FM three fifty nine, FM three fifty nine north of Richmond, south of Katy. That's it and Jenny Gardens. I'll be talking about tips for making gardening less kind of get more from your garden with less sweat and ibuprofen. Hey, everybody, nor what the forties says? Yay, I'll hope you have your more productive, easier time at your gardening and therefore more fun in the process. Come on and see me twelve noon to one thirty. And while you're out there, you can grab your tomatoes. I know you're not gonna put them in the ground right away, but get them while they have the best selection. And boy do they ever a great selection out there, and in Jenny Gardens, of course they have everything else you want to plan a rows. Hey, Valentine's Day coming. I'm hoping nobody in your house is listening. But I'm just suggesting that is a great Valentine's Day gift that gives and gives and gives every year, year after year. So there you go. You heard it here. First, if you look at my gardening schedule, you will notice that there is an optional early fertilization. It's called the early green up fertilization. If you want to get your lawn showing a prettier green color sooner than putting down that early release Early green up Applicational work and nitrofos Imperial fifteen five to ten is an excellent product product for that. You know that that ratio fertilizer was designed at Texas A and M. Still the same formula that's been sold for now about half a century by Nitrofoss. It is because it works. It's in a red orange bag. So okay, hear me this make it easy. Look at the colors of the bag. Nitrofos Imperial fifteen five to ten red orange bag. It's tried and true for our soils, for our climate, for our turf species that we have here. It is very helpful and it comes in veri in types with different kinds of weed control also in it, so you have an option there as to how you go about it. But you're going to find Nitrofoss Imperial types of products at Bearings Hardware, both the one on Bissonette and the one in West Teimer m and d Out in Rosenberg has it. Ace Hardware City and Memorial has it. You're going to find it appliants for all seasons. I was just talking at them a minute ago. Highway two forty nine Nitrofoss Imperial and by the way, also the Nitrofoss barricade for preventing weeds before they even get started. Don't delay. It's time to get that done. Don't delay. All right, We're gonna go out to the phones now and head to pair Land and talk to Sharon. Hey, Sharon, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 23: Hey Skip, thanks for taking my call. I am calling because the day of the rain I put down the barricade, and as it turns out, we received about four inches of rain. So I'm wanting to know if the barricade was just washed away, and we need to reply.
Speaker 2: Barricade is one of the best pre emergents for sticking to the soil. You know, there's some others out there, dethiopeas and other ingredients and sold in dimension and stuff. That stuff will pick up and wash away more readily than barricade will. Barricade is made to stick to the soil because if it doesn't stick up at the top, it's not going to control the wheat seeds that are sprouting up there. So it's designed to stick to the soil. I think you're going to be okay, and I would hate for you to go back and do another barricading, because when you start doubling up on on pesticide issue ingredients, you can run into some problems. So let's let's I'm gonna I'm gonna flip the coin and say, I'm pretty sure you're fine on the barricade. I would rather it hadn't rained four inches on it, but uh, I don't think I would. I would redo it at this point.
Speaker 23: Okay, Okay, So I can just spot sweet maybe with the Captain Jackson areas where the weeds get.
Speaker 2: Right, if you see some weeds that pop up, you can do that. I just don't think you're going to have to, but i'd be curious to hear from you how that works. If you've got a good application of barricade out, I'd like to hear how that goes. So anyway, that's my best shot on that one.
Speaker 7: Sharon, Okay, Luckily, I ate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Bet absolutely, thank you for the call. Year Round Houston is our lawn care, aer rator and top dressing service for those of you that live inside the Beltway and out in the Richmond Rosenberg area. They serve both those areas year round Houston dot com. These guys are specialists when it comes to core aerating and compost top dressing. Now you can do it yourself, but it's very cumbersome. You're going to rent a machine. It's not going to be a machine that does the quality work that Year Round Houston can do with their very expensive machinery. You got to transport it and clean it and return it. Pilese a compost in the driveway just harmed to come out. They use quality screened plant based therefore no smell compost. It settles down in your lawn really really well. Year round Houston dot Com eight three to two eight eight four fifty three thirty five eight three two eight eight four fifty three thirty five out inside the Beltway and out Richmond Rosenberg area. There are folks for that area in compos stop dressing and corporation or two of the best things you can do for your lawn. We're going to now go to Larry and sugar Land. Hey Larry, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 3: Hey, good morning.
Speaker 22: I took your advice a while back concerning a large premia. It stands about seven feet tall. I'll pull it out of the ground and hung it upside down in the garage. It's got a large rootball to it, and I've never had a area this size before. Okay, a month or so from now, when I get ready to plant it, do I plant it with that rootball still on it? Or do I cut it home?
Speaker 6: Or what do I do?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: You can, you can. You can put those roots back in the ground. Some of them are going to be driving dead on the outside, but it should be fine. It's gonna even if you plant dead roots where the new roots are going to come out of, it'll still come out and root just fine.
Speaker 22: Okay, is there a temperature I'm looking for for our planet?
Speaker 2: They like warm weather? Yeah, they like warm weather. And uh, we probably have some listeners from the Plumbaria Society. If one of our Plumerius Society leaders would like to call in, I would love to visit with them about that too. But it's not a matter of, you know, is it going to get cold damage, It's a matter of is it even going to want to be in that temperature? You know, So you're down in the forties, Plumaria is not very happy out there in the garden. So I would let it warm up really good before putting it out.
Speaker 22: Okay, yeah, no, no, Rush, Well, I appreciate.
Speaker 2: It, Thank you very much, all right, Larry, Thanks Thanks for the call. I appreciate that a lot as well. When you're looking for a quality soil blend, Heirloom Soils has got you covered. They're out there in the border area. That's where this stuff is created and delivered. And you know you need a leaf more compost, They've got it. You need veggie and herb mix, maybe you're putting in a vegetable gardener, an herb garden. By the way, those are also good for flowers. They've got you covered. You can drive out there and get it. You can call them and have them deliver it. You can have them dump it on the driveway, or you can have them bring what's called a supersack that is a giant. Think of one of those giant reusable grocery sacks you know that people used to go in so they don't throw away the bags. Think of a giant supersack that was a cubic yard. That is amazing. Set it right on the driveway. I've done it before myself twice. It's neat, it's clean, it's easy, no matter what you need. Airlom Soils has got it. And I'll tell you this. Their products are top quality and they work. They definitely work. If you want to give them a call about a possible order or pickup or more information. Two eight one three five four nineteen fifty two eight one three five four nineteen fifty talk to them, find out what you need to know, and you're going to find their bags all around town and many many outlets as well. Well, Sydney, I did my best to make it to you and we didn't quite make it. You got the time and can hang on. You will be our first up when we come back after the top of the hour. Uh and uh we'll get to the rest of your calls them as well.
Speaker 9: Welcome to Katie r. H Garden Line with Scamp Richard.
Speaker 1: Trim. Just watch him as many tea sets.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, let's get going here. We got plenty to talk about. I want to jump right back in. Don't forget those of you who are just tuned in, especially I'm going to be in Chenna Gardens today from twelve noon to one thirty. Twelve noon to one thirty, I'll be talking about tips for making gardening less work. Boy, does that sign me up? How to get more from your garden with less sweat and ibuprofen that's the way I like to put it. I'm gonna help you make your gardening easier, make it more productive, and more fun. That's what we're all about here. We want gardening to be fun. Enchanted Gardens is out there on the Katie Folscher side of Richmond, So whether you're coming down from Katie or coming up from Richmond FM three point fifty nine, it's easy to get to. While you're there, you are going to be very impressed with all of the different plants and things that they have. By the way, we'll be in a tent, so I know the weather says it may start to miss a little bit. By then, don't worry about that. We're gonna be hind and dry and we're gonna have a good time. So come on out and see me. I'm gonna be giving away a lot of products too, from the folks at Medina, so this is your chance. I can guarantee you go home at least something in your hands from the folks at Medina while we're there, So come on and see me. For those of you who are looking at doing some spring cleaning, Ace Hardware is the place you need to be to do that. You got to go by there. They've got all kinds of supplies for everything. Maybe you're redoing a faucet. I redid my kitchen faucet last fall, twenty percent off. They're Mowen faucets this month twenty percent off. While you're there, grab some air filters. There's a buy one, get one free or buy three get one free. Excuse me, buy three get one free. You need some sealants for your decks. I mean you know, yes, they even have stain. They've got paint. In fact, they just announced a President's Day sail on all their painting supplies. So stop by and s see it for yourself. Why are at ACE? Always? Sign up? Get on the ACE Rewards. You'll receive discounts. You'll receive special offers that are only for ACE Rewards customers, and they email it directly to you. I belong and I'm telling you it pays to be an ACE Rewards customer. Now, ACE Hardware stores, where do we go? Well, we can go to the Lake Conroe, Ace of Montgomery. We can go to all spas ACE up in the Woodlands, Single Ranch, A, K and M, ACE and Kingwood, as well as K and M and Atasca Seda just a few of the many great Ace hardware stores that are out there. We're going to head now out to Katie and talk to Sydney. Well, Hello Sydney, Congratulations on your patients, and welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 44: You can tell I really needed to you, all right, your help. There was a wonderful arborist, Martin spoon Moore was Afford Little Tree, and he was on Randy's show and he was great. But I need your helpe because he's taking care of my train for several years, but now he seems to have evaporated, and so I need your help. Who would be a trustworthy ardorist tree service to care and my tree?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, I can't just pull a name out of the air on that. When you call, leave a little message there for him. I'll tell you what hang on? Would you? Can I put you on hold and you tell my producer give me some information your your contact information or email is fine, and and let me see if I can help you with this. Okay, all right? Thank you? You bet so, Jonathan. We'll pick it up here in just a second and I'll get you the information that you're going to need there. Thank you. Let's go out to Montgomery now and talk to Marie.
Speaker 45: Hello Marie, Well, Skip, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 23: Skip.
Speaker 8: I have a question.
Speaker 45: I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and apply the barricade today and let the rain water it in, and then later follow up with the nitro false weed and feed with Trimac fifteen five ten the teal colored.
Speaker 46: Bag, or.
Speaker 45: Switch instead to the Imperial fifteen five to ten. In other words, would I be overdoing it? Got weeds?
Speaker 2: Let's okay?
Speaker 8: Body else?
Speaker 2: Well, the barricade and the nitroposs fifteen five to ten with trimac are going after two different kinds of weed situations. The trimac is going after the weeds that are right now in your lawn. The barricade is stopping and preventing the weeds that will come up later, and you'll see them later. So I would do the barricade now we're going to get some rain. And from what I'm seeing, it's not a gully washer. You might check the weather in your area make sure, but in most of the areas I was looking at yesterday, it looked like it's not just a gully washer, and it'd be perfect for getting that barricade washed in. I think I would wait until you could do the trimac and the fertilizer now if you would like, that's the early green up. But we can do early greenups all the way into March too, So I might hold off a little bit. Let's get through the cold, let it warm up, and let those weeds get a little more active in terms of they like the weather. And then wet the weeds and put the trimac fifteen five to ten with trimac from nitrofoss put it on them and the wet the wet wheat. Yeah, the wet weeds is it sticks to them and you need it to the trimec to stick to them. And so I would do it then. I think you're going to get a little bit better results if you did it now, it would be just fine. You still are going to get results. I just I would do the barricade now, get it watered in, let's get through the rain we're about to have and it's not going to be bad, and then do that fifteen five ten with trimec.
Speaker 8: Awesome.
Speaker 45: I will follow your recommendations and do the trimach in March.
Speaker 2: Then all right, much, Well, you bet. And when I say March, I mean early March. You know, in fact, you could do it, you know, later in last week of February or something too. There's no you know, there's no having to wait too long. It's just either way you want to go about it perfect. Thank you, Mary. All right, you take care? Yes, well, And I know that may get a little bit of complicated for some folks. Hey, uh, Houston Powder Coders a new sponsor we have on the show. I went and visited them. Oh my gosh, I was so impressed with their operation. Listen, if you've got outdoor metal, they can coat it and increase the life of it and increase the beauty of it. Do you know that they have over one hundred colors in stock. They have actually access to any color, one hundred different colors in stock. You got that old outdoor furniture, it's kind of rusty. Maybe some of the bolts of rusted and stuff. Give them a call or here's here's the thing. You can do a couple of things. You can take some photos of your furniture, email them to sales at Houston Cooders dot com. Sales at Houstoncoders dot com and they'll give you a quick quote on it, and I'm gonna tell you when I come back, I'm gonnaell you a little bit more about Houston powder cotters. I'm gonnake a little break here, but stick around. You got to hear this stuff. This is a really great way to breathe new life into your outdoor metal objects, not just furniture.
Speaker 7: I'll be right back, folks in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a great year.
Speaker 7: Me spending great again.
Speaker 2: So I can buy a dozen eggs without dipping into my four oh one.
Speaker 9: K with a grand in your head one thousand dollars, nine new chances each weekday.
Speaker 2: It's so easy.
Speaker 40: One seven k t RH brought to you locally by Top Tax Defenders dot Com.
Speaker 7: Will take your irs case and take all.
Speaker 27: Your worries and alleviate it and handle them.
Speaker 6: That's what they do.
Speaker 40: Seven one three, four eight nine seventy four thirty three seven one three four eight nine seventy four to thirty three Top Tax Defenders dot Com.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is Lincoln Kennedy. Here's what's trending on the Iheartsports.
Speaker 7: Network presented by Mercedes Benz.
Speaker 47: NBA All Star festivities from Chase Center at San Francisco this week, and the Rockets continue to.
Speaker 41: Be one of the favorites to land Kevin Durant.
Speaker 47: Houston has a young core at Draft Picks if the thirty six year old is on the move from the Phoenix Suns College Basketball Today in the Big Twelve, the number six Cougars visit Arizona Houston twenty and four this season, and the American Rice is at Twulane.
Speaker 39: I'm Trey Bedder At Mercedes Benz. There's a reason they go the extra mile, from testing their vehicles in desert heat and arctic cold to creating AI that can anticipate your needs and preferences on the road. They demand that every car is worthy of their star because it's Mercedes Benz.
Speaker 40: You just figured she didn't want anything for Valentine's Day. Don't fuss over me, she said, or she has in the past.
Speaker 7: Well, all of.
Speaker 40: Her friends at work, all of her friends in Dubunco group, they got diamonds, their husbands did something sweet.
Speaker 2: You didn't.
Speaker 40: Now it's time for you to get back in her good graces. Surprise er shocker, make her happy, look like a hero. Call Connie and Billy at the Corey domins in design and they'll help you out two eight one four eight two forty seven fifty five two eight one four eight two forty seven to fifty five.
Speaker 12: Discover the value of a well maintained home with BPC, total attic remediation and wildlife exclusion. Our services include total attic remediation, insulation replacement, into breeze removal, ensuring your home stays energy efficient and wildlife free. Experience the benefits of new insulation, which can save you approximately eleven percent on total energy costs. Don't wait for rising energy bills or unwanted guests. Visit our website at www dot Best Price Construction dot net or called two A one four four three one one two two to schedule an appointment with our estimator today.
Speaker 15: How far would you go for a refreshing backyard that wows friends?
Speaker 10: How about Katie, I'm Anita and I'm Peter from Nelson Nursery and Watergardens.
Speaker 15: Where you find one of a kind fountains, fish, plants and pots.
Speaker 10: Direct imported pottery from around the world.
Speaker 15: Transform patios, beds, backyards and front yards.
Speaker 7: Add plants, trees, or fountains, potteries just the start.
Speaker 10: We specialize in creating beautiful.
Speaker 15: Spaces make coming home your favorite destinations.
Speaker 10: Start at Nelson Nursery and Water Gardens.
Speaker 7: You can find us at Nelsonwatergardens dot com Infinity here. How can we help Hi?
Speaker 29: My daughter invited her entire class to her birthday party.
Speaker 18: Can my WiFi handle it?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 26: At Exfinity, our latest gateways have triband Wi Fi technology, letting you connect hundreds of devices at once.
Speaker 8: No way.
Speaker 12: So if all the kids are watching stuff on their phones, well their parents are sharing videos online, Yeah, go ahead and watch videos.
Speaker 7: They can all do their thing and party their way.
Speaker 2: No problem.
Speaker 29: Oh, we are going to need a bigger cake.
Speaker 46: Now.
Speaker 31: Through March fourth, get fast, reliable Expinity gig Internet for twenty five dollars a month for one year with no annual contract and Wi Fi equipment included. When you add an unlimited mobile line and ask how to get an eligible free five gphone with trade in. Go to Expinity dot com, call on andred Expinity or visit a store today. Construction supply requires purples plod on a Poostord Bank account, taxt and piece extra after come regular rates ply Expinity Internet required produce morble speeds at use of monthly data included with your data option data spresciolds at actual Internet speeds vary.
Speaker 30: For more information about contest on this station, go to kt RH dot com slash rules.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, welcome back to your garden line up. Good to have you with us. We are here to answer your gardening questions at seven one three two one two k t R eight seven one three two one two k t r H. Now, if you've listened to me on guardenline much, you know that I have in the last few years become a bird enthusiast a back yard. But I'm not the guy with the safari hat in the shorts, you know, walking around binoculars all over creation in the woods. Although that's fun, I hear, I want them in my backyard, and boy does it change your backyard. The music of birds, just the color of birds, the antics of birds. I love watching them in the backyard. And you get your quality feeder. You get quality feed and you will have birds. If you build it, they will come. And Wildbird's Unlimited is the place you go to build it. Essentially, they have a wide variety of feeders, A wide variety of bird houses. And by the way, it's time to get the purple Martin houses out there. The scouts are going, hey, where's my house? Get it out there, or they're gonna find somebolace else to live. Get them in your backyard. And wildbirds has quality products on that quality feed. One of the cool things that they have is called bark butter. So think about a spreadable suet, so sort of like peanut butter, but not peanut butter. All right. Bark butter can be smeared on trees. You can smear it on your you know, if your husband's knapping out in the yard, you can just smear it on him. The birds will come. One hundred and fifty different species of birds have been documented on bark butter. They also have bark butter bits with your little bite sized nuggets. You can put those in a feeder. You can mix them in with the seed that you have. They also have bugs and bits, which is bark butter bits with dried mealworms. Right now, the birds in your yard are hearing this as you listen to this, and they're they're slobbering. I don't know if a bird can slabber, but if they can bark butter bits with dried meal worms. That's less like bird crack. It's high in calcium. It supports egg development. And they are nesting. Now, by the way, did I say it already? You got to get the nests out there. You got to get the bird houses out there where they can build their nests in them. Very important. Of course, they have lots of other things. They have the winter Blend and I'm still feeding that because it's packed with energy and fats. My birds like it. And while you're there, check out the card confetti. That's a whole new thing. I don't have time to tell you about that right now, but I have talked about it before and it's really really good for bringing in cardinals and other birds as well. It's got just a dozen different kinds of things in it. Cardinal tube feeder is a special feeder that is really good for this. You can put cardinal confetti in any kind of feeder. But they also have a good evening cardinal feeder, which I think is really attractive too. All at Wildbirds WBU dot com, forward slash Houston. There's six of them here in town. WBU dot com forward slash Houston. The main thing is just do it and then get ready to make a cup of coffee early in the morning. Go out and sit on your patio and just enjoy. I'm going to head out to Houston. Now we're going to talk to Helen. Hey, Helen, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 48: Hiks, skip this came.
Speaker 18: You came through quicker than.
Speaker 48: The guy telling me you would. So I have Okay, I have a picture of a Japanese maple and I wanted to send it to you and see if it okay. No, it looks like it needs some help. Some of the leaves are browning and some have fallen off.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, in the Japanese maple is a deciduous plant, so it's normal for the leaves to fall off in the in the winter season. When you're saying browning, are they browning starting at those little points the tips of the leaves? Yes, Okay, that it could be that your tree is just, you know, experiencing what they do when it when it comes into cold weather in the wintertime. But tip die back on a Japanese maple is sometimes not always, but sometimes related to a little bit of dry soil conditions or to burn from excessive salt based fertilizer, or just the stresses of summer where you know, it gets hot and it's hard to keep up, and sometimes you'll see that little tip burn on Japanese maples, and it just means the bottom line is something's wrong in the plumbing. The plumbing can't keep up with the water flow on hot days, or there's not enough water for the roots to take up to be able to keep up, or or something along those lines. A little bit of it is. Okay, you don't want all the leaves to fry though, that's for sure.
Speaker 48: Okay. I just sent the picture of it, so I hope you get that. This Japanese maple. I got it at Cornelia's and it was it's just a beautiful tree.
Speaker 6: I just love them.
Speaker 48: But I wanted to put it in a pot, so that's what we did. And does that have any effect on it? Would it be happier?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Okay? I got you, I got your photo. I got your photo. So first of all, that is a lot of tree for that size pot. I think I would if you could move it up to twice that wide of a pot, it will be happier. You can grow it for a while in there, but you're gonna have to water it very very frequently when the weather warms up and the new growth comes out. I don't think that's dead. I think it'll be back, but time will tell on that. But what that kind of leaf drop in the periphery and hanging on to some leaves in the interior. That's kind of that in and of itself, does not look like you have a problem yet on that plant. But the pot is really small, and the only water that tree can get is that little bit of water in that small pot, And so I think you need to bump it up to I double the size if you could. Okay, okay, well we can do it.
Speaker 24: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I appreciate your looking at it, you bet Helen. And remember Japanese maple and our hot climate. If you can give it some morning sun and afternoon shade, it'll be very happy. Or a very bright dapple shade for a part of the day is good. But just don't don't let it be in too much sun.
Speaker 21: Okay, it's it's as soon as our patio.
Speaker 2: So alrighty, so all right nearby? So it does it all right, Helen? Well, thank you alrighty, you take care. Yeah, Japanese maples are so pretty and we're just kind of south in their rain. They will grow here, you can. I've seen some gorgeous Japanese maples in a Greater Houston area. But the number one thing that goes wrong is poor drainage, soggy roots, or or droughty conditions or especially just the hot, blazing sun. And not all varieties of Japanese maple are equally suited. Some do better than others. That's why I tell you go to your independent garden centers where they know what they're talking about, uh and visit with them about Japanese maple and they can put the right one in your hands if you would like. I like to be able to do that. All righty, Well, let's see our phone numbers seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two k t rh oh. I had a question that came in earlier. Oh gosh, I'm gonna I'm gonna have to find it and come back to it. I wanted to give an update on the answer there. Uh RCW Nurseries is right there. We're Beltway eight and Tomball Parkway two forty nine come together RCW is they get it? Got it? Nursery meaning number one? They probably have it. But if they don't, they probably can get it. Just ask them. They do ordering and stuff right now. They got fifteen percent off there Azalea's and a nice variety of different colors and patterns and whatnot. Ozabias are a great plant for the Houston area. You give them a nice, bright, shady area and they're very, very happy. But the big elephant in the room at RCW is there roses. You know, every year they get in this rose list that is like pages and pages long. And I don't know what kind of ROAs do you want? Do you want the typical red? Oh, they got a lot of that. Do you want one that looks like the peppermint candy with red and white stripes and the petals? Do you like coral? Do you like orange? Do you like yellow? Do you like pink? Do you like a lavender? Do you like a hot hot pink with a purple am? I making a point here? You name it. They've got it. But remember they order their roses. They get them in. They have every rose on earth practically, And if you delay, then your fellow garden shoppers are going to come in and they're going to buy them. So sooner orrive than later. Get those roses, time to plant them anyway, get those things in the ground. Go buy RCW if you just go to their website. Okay, go to the website and the website is rc Wnurseries dot com. There you can find their store hours, you can find the phone number for there, you can get all the kinds of stuff that you are interested in. In fact, if you if you go there, they even have a page on the roses and follow them on Facebook. They just recently posted to Facebook their roselist and so you can do a little shopping before you even actually arrive over at RCW. That is the case. Let's head out to Katie. Now we're going to talk to Scott. Hey, Scott, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 3: Hey, good morning.
Speaker 18: Quick question for you. You know how in the master planning communities, all of the yards are built to kind of have a point between the two of them where the drainage all occurs out to the street, so it stays very very wet. You know, you drive it during a rainstorm, you can just always see between every house that nice line of water if somebody wanted to, like if I wanted to plant ahead, you're shrubbery kind of boundary between the yards and that very wet area. Is there anything that would work there?
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I would think that southern rox myrtle would do okay as long as it wasn't totally submerged for long, long periods of time. But those grow native out in our area, and we get a lot of rain in our area, and we have clay soils in our area. Yopon may do pretty good in that spot too. I'm trying to think what one if you've got a lot of room. Button bush loves to live on a river bed bank. Button bush is a native, but it gets pretty large. It has these little blooms that look like starburst. You know that tower in Dallas that looks like a dandelion seedhead. You know what backing about, that's what a button bush bloom looks like. It looks like that that tower up there. But it gets big, so it may be too big for what you're trying to accomplish right there. But those will be a few. But go to a you know, go to a good quality garden center and see what they carry. I guarantee you a Nelson Water Gardens and nursery adding Katie where you are that they're going to have some really good options for UH swamp tolerant plants.
Speaker 18: And is there is there anything you could do under it, like you know, I dig down deeper and put in some small pebbles to allow you know, a lower blow of water or something of that. Making right, It.
Speaker 2: Doesn't help to put gravelly stuff down in a trench because think of an aquarium, aquarium's whole water. Gravel in the bottom accomplishes nothing in an aquarium. But you can put a pipe down in a trench with gravel around it, and the water seeps into the pipe and it's like a backward septic system and then it has to slope off to the curb a lower area where it can drain away. So depending on the rules where you live there, that's called a French drain, and you can do you could do a French drain like that.
Speaker 6: That way.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, welcome back to guard Line. We are glad to have you with us and talking all kinds of things. Gardening. I mentioned talking to my a minute ago. Spring green up time is here. If you want to do the early spring green up, you can do that now, and that is on my schedule. That is an optional. It's like you have to do that. Our primary summer fertilization starts in April here in our area, but a lot of folks like to get a little early green up, and Nitrophos has an awesome product for that. It's Nitroposs Imperial.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Imperial comes in a red orange bag, kind of reddish orange bag. It's a fifteen to five ten fertilizer. It takes about seven pounds per thousand square feet to do what you need to do at this time of the year. It's going to release those nutrients quickly. That's what helps get you the quick spring greenup. It doesn't make your grass take off growing instantly, but it does develop green collar and then the temperature worms just a little bit. You're going to see a significant growth response because of it. As a product's been around a long time. That kind of ratio of nutrient was researched about Texas and m years ago. It's long since been known as what you need when you're going to fertilize lawns in our area. The grasses we grow here are the soils we have here. Now you're going to find it. An enchanted forest out in Richmond Rosenberg at Ace Hardware, Sinkle Ranch, allspas Ace and the Woodlands has it. Or you can go up to Arborgate a garden center in Tumble and find it there as well. That is nitrofoss Imperial fifteen five ten. And while you're there, just go ahead and grab you some nitrofross barricade, which is the pre emergent that prevents the warm season weeds from ever showing up. You put it down, you water it in with a half inch of water, and you never see the weeds. That's how it works. Excuse me, no a scratchy throat today, So I don't need that. Not when you're in the radio. I'm going to talk for four hours. But anyway, hey, in chenned Forest Garden Center is down in Richmond Rosenberg. And if you are in let's say you're in Richmond Rosenberg, you're heading towards sugar Land. Enchanted forest is the garden center that it is off to the right, Okay, off to the right, if you're going up Highway fifty nine in that direction. Now, I love going to that place. There is always something going on. There, always something going on at Enchanted Forest, and the selection that they have is just amazing. It is time to be getting your vegetable gardens in at least by the plants. Get those plants so that when you do want to get out there and plant them, you're ready to go. That's important. You want to be able to have the selection that's best, and now's the time you get the selection that's best. So while you're out there, they have some really cool plants for indoor plants. There's some great gifts and things that are excellent for Valentine's Day, Valentine's Day? What was I about to say? There for Valentine's Day? And they also have a beautiful selection of other kinds of gifts that you're going to love and people on your list are going to love them too. Now they've got a crate gardening for kids. Krate gardening for kids. It's like using a crate, like the old milk crate kind of things, and you can grow in that. You get some burlap liner, put some good growing mix in there, and you can do it. Just go by there and ask about that, Okay, ask about the crate gardening and how kids can learn to do that. It's kind of fun. Their selection of tomatoes and everything else is just unbelievable, it really is. It's just outstanding, outstanding, as well as hanging baskets, Oh my gosh, so beautiful. But it's that way all the time you go out there. It's that way all the time at Enchanted Forest out in the Richmond Rosenberg area. So give them, give them a call, check them out. It is on FM twenty seven fifty nine outside of Richmond Rosenberg Highway or FM twenty seven fifty nine. You are listening to garden Line and the phone number here is seven one three two one two Ktright seven one three two one two kt r H. Scott had called earlier and I was talking about some drainage issues, you know, between the two houses at wet Spot, and I mentioned that Peerscapes was a company that could do that. And because Peerscapes is a company that can't do anything, I mean, I mean it stuff. If you want your landscape to be prettier, if you want your plants to do better, if you need to do any kinds of stuff to the landscape, so that can happen Pierscapes can do it. They do designs, so they can design a beautiful bit a beautiful landscape. They can do the whole nine yards if you want. They can do irrigation repairs and making sure that it is properly functioning, which you're gonna need it here pretty soon when it eats up. They do landscape lighting that is just incredible, the landscape light. Go online to their website piercescapes dot com, piercescapes dot com look at pictures of the landscape lighting that they do. But they also do drainage. So that area like I was talking about, you know between the houses, both houses slope down, it's always wet right there. What can we do well, talk to them about it and they can. They can also put in that French drain that we were talking about, which basically is an underground pipe that the excess water leaks into and drains off to a lower spot. Makes it easy. Here's the number two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty or piercescapes dot com listening to garden line If you'd like to give me a call and ask a gardening question. We are happy to do that. In fact, I'm I love it best when we get to talk about the things you were interested in. I certainly have plenty of things I'm interested in. So that's what I'm gonna do right this moment. Remember, it's gonna get cold this week. Is going to get very cold this week. For those of you down in Galveston area, the last time I checked, twenty five. For those of you up in a Tomball area, probably twenty. And as you go north to Conroe and what College Station, Huntsville, going further and further north up, it just gets colder and colder to where you're done in the teens. It's going to be a cold that followed an eighty degree week. We had a number of days where it was in the eighties. And our plants that are dormant, when they have that kind of weather, they go, hey, let's quit being dormant, let's get ready to do some growing. And as they move out of dormance, they're more susceptible to cold. So a plant that could have taken cold three weeks ago takes less cold now. And I don't know how to quantify it as to how much less I can't give you a temperature, even if you gave me the plant exactly the temperature and stuff. But just know this that you need to be extra careful in protecting those plants this week. If it's a plant that comes up like a perennial out of the ground, protect the base. If it's a citrus tree, mound some soil, yes, you're gonna hear me say this, a volcano mound it up around the base of the trunk. So if it gets killed back, at least you'll have some of the graft union that can reach sprout and put you back in a tree or a bush real quick. You need to cover plants and seal the air so you create dead air space. So I'm covered that goes all the way over the plant. It's all in my publication on my website. I'm protecting plants against frosts and freezes and then some source of heat underneath that's pointing down towards the soil that and rises up and makes a big difference if you have prevented air movement underneath that cover. If you want to put a support over the cover, all you got to do is I like to use bent pieces of PVC pipe just you know, make a little igloo by having PVC going over north south and another in east west and so on. However you want to go about it, doesn't matter how you go about it. The key is create some dead airspace, put some heat underneath it, and get your plants through what we're about to go through this week. All right, time for me to take a break. I'll be right back with your calls in just a moment. All right, folks, we're back. Welcome back to garden Line. Glad you're with us. By the way, you hear me talk about Texas Gardener all the time. They're having a sponsoring a tomato event up there at Plants and Things in Brenham. So all of you up you know, north Northwest, that whole area up there, you all swing over by Plants and Things in Brenham. They're going to be doing their free tomato event. They speakers out there. They talk about all kinds of tomato varieties and things. You know how it is with tomatoes. I mean that's a there's a wing of the Betty Ford Clinic for Tomato growers because we just absolutely become obsessed about that. So they'll be they'll have some Bloody Mary's and mocktail bar and tomato basil souper lunch and it'll be a fun time. So check them out. Say how do Jay White from Texas Gardener magazine when you're up there and have a good time. Quality Home Products has been a sponsor I talked talked about for a long time now. I love sponsors that take care of their customers. That's the only kind we try to have here on Guarden Line, by the way, and Quality Home is that kind of company. And if you know, you don't have to believe me, you can just look at seventy seven thousand homeowners that have been served by Quality Home. Fourteen thousand people have given them a five star review that have taken the time to go review. You know, people like usually when they review, they want to gripe about something. That's what motivates them. Who have a Quality Home fourteen thousand five star reviews eight times. They've won the Better Business Bureau's Most Prestigious Customer Service Award because they take care of you. They take care of things. Automatic stand by generators by generat the Generatic Automatic stand by Generator you can get one from them and They are excellent. They you know, power goes out, they come on. You don't even have to get out of your chair and go around side of the house turn thing on. It comes on automatically. Life keeps going even when the power stops. Now, one thing of the many things that sets Quality Home apart is that their unit it's completely engineered, installed and monitored by Quality Home products. That's rare. Usually people are subbing things out and whatnot. I could go in great links from the pad they put down to set the generator on, to the regulations, the hoops you got to jump through your local city or whatever. Quality takes care of all of that. They do it all. It's in house. They have their own electricians, they have their own plumbers, they have their own whatever you need. They've got the folks there to do it. Qualitytx dot com is the website. Go check it out qualitytx dot com. Don't delay. Power outages can occur anytime of the year. So equality you know you're getting a quality service, you're getting quality products and therefore a quality life, and don't delay. Go ahead and call them up start that process. It is a process. This family owned company can be reached also at seven one three quality seven one three quality.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: You know another thing is just as an aside. Everybody I've talked to Equality Home, everybody that I've talked to, I can just tell they love working there. It is a pleasure. It's a great place to work. It's a pleasure to work there. But that says something too about how they do business. You're listening to garden Line our phone number seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H gives caull we'll talk about the things that are most of interest to you.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I had a question come in.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Let's see, this was from Cindy, and it was earlier and we we had we weren't able to do the call on the air, so I'm just going to talk about it right now. Cindy sent me a couple of citrus leaves, and the leaves are turned upside down, and on the bottom of the leaves are lots of little white specks that look kind of fluffy, flaky, and then there's a lot of little black city spots in there. What that is is scale, Cindy. Uh. And if you've got cetrus and you turn the leaves over and you see stuff stuck to the bottom of the leaves. Now, sometimes aphits can be feeding on a plant. You know, there's certainly mealy bugs that can feed on plants, and white flies that'll be under the leaves. But scale was one of the most common ones on centrus. The simplest, least toxic way to control scale is with a dormant oil spray or a summer oil spray. You mix it according to the label. Don't spray it on a hot sunny day. But now'd be a fine time to do it. As we come out of spring or out of winter into spring, that's a very susceptible time for scale because the weather's warming, their respiration is increasing. But you got to coat the leaves with the scale spray with the oil. That means the undersides, especially of the leaves, need to be one hundred percent sprayed with oil. Because any scale that you don't cover with oil, it doesn't kill. It's a smothering thing. And so just do your sprays like that and thatt of work. There are also systemics in scale that are sucking juices out of the plant. When you put a systemic in the soil, it goes up in the plant and the scale or the insects that are doing that kind of feeding, they get that poison in them and it kills them that way. So that's another op. I like the oil options my first shot. You can use any kind of an oil. It could be neam oil, it could be summer oil, it could be a dorm and oil that's mixed according to the label.
Speaker 8: Rate.
Speaker 2: Be very careful when you use oil. But Cindy that that is what you got and that is what you can do about it. One of my favorite garden centers to go visit is Moss Nursery down in Seabrook. They are on Toddville Road down in Seabrook, and all of you down south and east of town they probably been to Moss one hundred times. But it is not just another garden center. This place is eight acres. For seventy years, this has been a family owned garden center for everything you need on landscapes, gardens, your indoor homescapes. Their houseplant greenhouse is incredible. Recently they got in a bunch of shipments of small cactus and succulents as well. They got lots of hanging baskets and right now the place is just loaded with trays of vegetables and herbs and flowers and everything you can imagine.
Speaker 7: And when you're in there in the you know, in the main.
Speaker 2: Barn where they do the check out and everything, you're going to see some of Jim's whimsical t shirt art. The eyeball plant that's something he created and it is really cool. If you get one of those, no one else you know who's going to have one. They're really special. They have all kinds of cool merchandise in there. They also had a good load of Japanese maples. We were talking earlier about you need to get good Japanese maples that are going to do well here and treat them right. You go into Moss Nursery and they're going to sell you one that will do well here, and they're going to tell you how to grow it. I've been in there visiting with employees, and you know, it's like master gardeners, people that have gardened forever that are the employees. They know what they're doing because it's a fun place to work. Moss Nursery, Toddville Road, Seabrook, Texas website, Maas nursery dot com. The phone number two eight one four seven four twenty four eighty eight. Alrighty our phone number seven one three two one two kt r H if you would like to give me a call seven one three two one two kt r H. Now I spend every garden Line show trying to convince you to take care of your soil and to fix the soil before you put the plants in the way I put it is brown stuff before green stuff. The one stop shop for bronz stuff for all of you down south of Houston is cn Maltch. Cinmultch is near the Highway six and two eighty eight area. It's on FM five twenty one FM five twenty one. Just do this, just write down the website cnmulch dot com, cnmulch dot com. It's a one stop shop. They've got your special soil blends like for example, they've got the Erlam Soils, Veggie Nerve Mix, and many many other options. Uh, they've got the mulches that you need. If you just want to buy compost, you can get just compost from them. They deliver bulk within about twenty miles for a small fee. Or you can just go by there and pick it up. But when you're in there, what else do you need for the brown stuff? You need fertilizer like microlife, azemite, Nelson, turf star, nitrofoss. They in Medina, they've got that. And so when you walk out of sea Inamaltz, or when you have them delivered, or when you go pick it up or whatever, you have everything you need to set the foundation for success with the plants you're going to grow. Don't PLoP an unprepared plant, a pooral plant, and an unprepared plot. Fix the soil, plant the plant then and everyone will think you have a green thumb, because remember, a green thumb is just an informed thumb. You're not born with a green or brown thumb. Your thumb is either knows how to take care of plants and what plants want, or it doesn't. You inform that thumb and suddenly everything grows. And I'm informing your thumb right now that soil first, soil first, drainage, nutrient content, good oxygen, good internal drainage, cenemulch does all that. That's the tip of the day. I don't know what else to say about it. That is the case. Hey, guess where I'm going to be after the show today at twelve noon, Not right after the show, but at twelve noon, I'm going to be at Enchanted Gardens down in the Richmond Rosenberg area on the Katie Fullscher side of Richmond. They're out on FM three point fifty nine, So if you're coming from a distance, come on out. I've been in Channed Gardens before. Talk to people that are from Austin, Texas. They heard about it and they drove all the way over. It's that kind of garden center. I want to be talking about tips for making gardening less work, giving away some pre samples from the folks at Medina, and answering your gardening questions.
Speaker 9: Welcome to KTRH Garden Line with Skimp Richt's.
Speaker 1: Just watch him as a world.
Speaker 21: A s.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, we're back. Welcome back to garden Line. Let's talk about the things that are most of interest to you. What kind of questions do you have? How do we help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape. That is what we're trying to do here. One way is to put you in touch with the kind of products that are going to help you achieve just that. You know, for example, Nelson Plant Foods turf Star Weedenator. Turf Star Weedenator is a really unique products, not your typical wheed and feed.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: They have a turf growth regulator in there. If you're grass rather than growing up vertically and your momo mo in it, it slows that and promotes the side growth where you're getting good fill, but you're not mown as much. That is how that regular works.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: It has a post emergent herbicide. So you've got to get the weeds wet and the grass turnal sprinkler just enough to wet the leaves and then put the weed inator out. It sticks to the leaves, It sticks to the leaves and soaks into those tissues and after a couple of days you're watered into the soil where it will continue to do what it does. Then it's going to start releasing these nutrients. You're going to get certain kinds of nitrogen early on to stimulate stimulate a little bit of the early growth, but also the weed growth because you want that weeds to be very happy and growing that way. When they take up the nutrient or the herbicide, it does even better. Then as the soul warms up, a different kind of nitrogen comes out, and then finally there's a very slow released type of nitrogen that will release even later down the line, so it lasts up the six months. Turfstar Weedenator is like a one shot stop, a one shot I can't even say the words. You do it one time. It gives you a lot of benefits for a period of time, and it's one of the great products in the turf Star line from the folks at Nelson Fertilizer. Again, widely available throughout the greater Houston area. I'm just talking to him earlier, and boy, they've been shipping that stuff out and it's showing up in a lot of our places. So you'll to be able to find it. We're going to go to Houston now and talk to Jed. Hey, Jed, welcome to Garden Line.
Speaker 46: Hey you boy.
Speaker 21: See, I've got buddy of mine brought back date from Saudi Arabia and I ate him and they were also the tasty, so I decided to plan a few of them. I've got a handful of bait Paul now, but I'm afraid they're going to die and the occasional freeze. Is there anything I can do to try to promote success with these trees?
Speaker 2: Well, are they in containers or they're growing in the ground.
Speaker 21: Yeah, right now, they're still growing a container. So when it gets cold like and bring them in. But probably by next year they're going to outgrow their five yellow buckets.
Speaker 2: I've got them in okay, yeah, just uh just bring them, bring them in when it's cold. Once they're in the ground, date palm is not very cold hearty. And with you you're somewhere in the Houston area, so you're going to have occasional winters where you're gonna need to protect the top bud on top of the trunk of the date palm. That's the part most susceptible to cold damage.
Speaker 21: Oh okay, just wrap that up in a sheet or something and best again and hope for the bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, and just do a little searching online. But but you're protecting the trunk, but especially that top bud, that's the living bud that all the new growth has to come out of. It's it's right on top of the trunk. Uh, And so you know, see how far you can you can get along of them there. You know, it's a long process to go from seeds to a productive fruiting plant, so I know you're doing it for fun, but it just do the best you can to keep them going through those really hard coal spells. All right, sir.
Speaker 21: I'm three years in already, and I know it's gonna be a long road, so I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, sir, you take care. Thanks for Carl. It's a lot of fun to try out new things and stuff, isn't it. Spring Creek Feed is a feed store up there in the Tambol area toward Magnolia. So it's on It's on FM twenty nine seventy eight, just minutes away from Grand Parkway and Highway two forty nine up again Magnolia direction. All right, So they're going to have when you go in there, they're gonna have those products you hear me talk about. I'm talking about nitrophos I'm talking about microlife, I'm talking about turf sto. They carry all that. They have, things to control weeds, things to control diseases, to control insects. Real friendly folks there too, very courteous, very friendly. It will be a pleasure for you to do that now if you are, if you are wanting to have backyard chickens, they are starting to get their chick deliveries in. So they got some last Thursday, next Thursday, February twenty. If they're going to get in white leghorns and wyandotts, some orpington's, some olive eggar. Isn't that a weird name? Olive egg and some speaking of weird name, black ostralorp I don't even know what that is, and I used to raise chicken. Anyway, They're going to get a lot of different ones in. They have the supplies. They've got the feeders, the waterers, the heaters, everything you need to have success at Spring Creek feed Now they do delivery. They will special order some products. And if you're senior, citizen, military, or a four h f FA or excuse me, four h or ffa youth raising livestock, they are special discounts for all those groups there as well. Let's head out now to We're going to go to bel Air and talk to Michelle. Hey, Michelle, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 49: Hey, Skip, good morning. This question concerns the soil leftover when you use fire ant bait. I love Bengal. But it's not organic and I had fire ants in my vegetable garden.
Speaker 18: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: And how long ago did you put that out?
Speaker 49: I put it out a couple of weeks ago, and should have called you at the time because I can't really see which soil has those white particles in them. But in general, what do we do with the contaminated soil?
Speaker 2: Well, I wouldn't, I wouldn't, you know, just assume that it like you got to get rid of the soil or whatnot. It is, there is a synthetic pyrethroide in that, and it is somewhat persistent, but it is not made to be taken up by the plants. It's not a systemic Now, if you were going to grow lettuce on it, where the dirt splashing on the leaves and things, well okay, I could see a concern there. But in general, it doesn't last forever, and in time it breaks down. It depends on the soil temperatures and moisture levels and sunlight exposure and other things as to how long it would last. But if it's just other kinds of plants and things, I wouldn't worry about growing them there.
Speaker 49: At all Thank you sir.
Speaker 2: All right, you take care nice for the call. Bye.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that you know, with chemicals and those sort of things, it is good to ask because there are bazillion kinds with a bazillion variations and how long they last, and a bazillion other factors like does a plant even take it up or not? So that's good question. We're gonna take a break here. I'll be right back, Bruce. You'll be our first step. It does a blast from the past. All right, welcome back to Guardline. Good have you with us. Listen. I want to tell you about a place that I haven't talked about before here on Guardline, and that is Growers Outlet up there in Willis. The Growers Outlet is a it's on Highway seventy five. Highway seventy five and Willis, you know, just off to the to the east of forty five, just minutes away from forty five. Services all the Lake Conroe area, all those communities out there from you know, Bentwater, a prisound so on. It services the woodlands too, by the way, not too far drive for you up in Willis, Texas. They carry fertilizers like micro life and nitrofoss and medina products for example, good selection of vegetables, bedding plants, lots and lots of perennials. By the way, you need to go to their website. The website is very, very helpful. It is Growers Outlet in Willis. That's the website Growers Outlet in Willis dot com. You'll find there a list of their plants, like if you want a fragrant plant, you click on plants, click on fragrant. You get a whole list of them. If you're looking for ornamental grasses or things that attract birds and bees and butterflies or whatever, they got you covered. They also have a really good selection by the way of local honey. It's very impressed, oppressive in the little kind of a gift shop area that they have inside. When you go there, you're going to find that you can both purchase things there, you can purchase them online for picking up as well veggies. Every Wednesday evening they update the veggie list, so it is an ongoing up to date list. Take some gorgeous huge hanging baskets. Last time I was up there, I was very impressed with the little greenhouse areas they do their own grown in products like geraniums of urbinas and certain other kind of plants right there in the own greenhouse they grown right there. And again that gift shop, you got to go see it now. If you go to Growers Outlet in Wellist dot com, that's the website. They are on Highway seventy five, just a few minutes from forty five up in the Willis area. Or you can follow them on social media. They've got a nice little Instagram presence and they have a nice little Facebook presence for Growers Outlet. Go check them out and you'll see what I'm talking about. Good selection, excellent. We're going to go now to Southwest Houston and talk to Bruce. Hey, Bruce, Welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 24: Hi Skip, enjoying the show.
Speaker 46: I've got some newly planted asparagus plants. I put one each in a five gallon bucket and they've been planted just about two weeks. I've already got shoots coming up. Do I need to protect them from the freeze or they go be okay?
Speaker 2: You know, let's see you are in Southwest Houston, You're probably okay. But since their young plants, if you want to put a little sheet or anything over them, just to kind of hole a little of a warmth. And how tall are the shoots that are on them?
Speaker 46: One of them is about six inches tall, the other ones are about an inch.
Speaker 2: Inch and a half. Yeah, they'd be really easy just to throw something over that plant. How many plants do you have?
Speaker 8: Four?
Speaker 2: Do you have a number of plants or just a few?
Speaker 46: I have four plants. I put one each in the five gallon in a five gallon container.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Well, with where you're located, you're kind of on the line. I think probably you're looking at about twenty three degrees for the coldest this week. And I'm not a weather predictor. I'm just reading what's on the apps, and so that's getting a little colder than i'd like. I'd throw a little co okay, all right, right, smart enough, but didn't do the work.
Speaker 46: But it didn't have to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, sorry, okay, all right, you take care now, Bruce. The real lo On Garden line is my advice is free. But I do ask you to bring me half of the produce that occurs because I gave you good advice. So just bring half the asparagus to the station and we'll call it even okay, Hey, I'm okay with that.
Speaker 46: I hear that it's gonna take two three years.
Speaker 21: But as long as you're yes.
Speaker 2: I'll start to death. Well, then if I were you when I picked asparagus, I wouldn't want to give it to anybody because you won't ever drop it. Hey, thanks for the call, man, appreciate that, all right? Not fooling around like that. Here we go. H Fix my Slab Foundation Repair is a company that hits all the right spots. I mean all the checkboxes, you know. I want somebody who knows what they're doing here. Ty Strickland's been there twenty three years doing this. He's a fifth generation Texas native Estonian. He knows our soils here. Number two, I want somebody that shows up when they say they're going to show up. Check that box for Fix my Slab Foundation Repair. I want somebody who'll give me a fair price. Check that box. I want somebody who fixed is it right? Check that box?
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: If I could have all of that for anybody that came to my house for any kind of a service, oh my gosh, I would take it in a heartbeat, and you should too. Fix Myslab dot com is the website. Go check it out. Fix myslab dot com two eight one two fi five forty nine forty nine. Tell him you're a garden Line listener, get a free estimate. But if you're seeing sticking doors, if you're seeing cracks in the brick or the sheet rock indoors, have tag them out, have them take a look, because they're gonna assess it. And it's not just like, is there a crack in your foundation? Yeah, that probably is. There's cracks a lot, But is this something to be concerned about? And he's the expert that can tell you that and not just sell you something you don't need. Fix my slab foundation repair, Ty Strickland Fix myslab dot com two eight one two fi five forty nine forty nine. You're listening to Gardenline. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here. We are here. I'm here to help you have a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape, and more fun in the process. That's how I like to put it. And speaking of that today after the show at twelve noon, not right after the show, but from twelve noon to one point thirty, I'm going to be an enchanted Gardens in Richmond Rosenberg area, just north of Richmond Rosenberg toward Katie Katie fullsher Side on FM three fifty nine. I'm going to be giving a talk on tips for making gardening less work. So I'm trying to help you have a garden that's easier to take care of, that's more productive, and that's more fun. My subtitle for tips for making gardening less work is how to get more from your gardens with less sweat and less ibuprofen. So that's what we're going to do. We have some fun in the process too. Hey, bring me samples, put them in a plastic bag. Do you have a bug, do you have a weed? Maybe you have a picture on your phone. We'll take a look at it. Well. You know, as they say that doctors in, I'm not a doctor, but I'm in. I'll be there answering, diagnosing, identifying whatever you want. So I'll be giving the talk for a while and then I'm gonna stick around and answer gardening questions. Bring an empty vehicle because they have plenty that you need to load up on out there at Enchanted Gardens just north of Richmond Rosenberg on FM three fifty nine, again twelve to one. Come on out there. I love going out and meeting gardeners. That's one of my favorite things to do is visiting with gardeners. I guess I'm doing I'm in the right role here, right, answering questions on the air. I've been doing this for thirty five years as a professional horticulturist and answering questions for people that you know, we're trying to have success. I want you to have success. It is not rocket science. But can I tell you something. If you're a rocket scientist and you know all about it, it's not rocket science for you either, because you know about it. For those of us that aren't educated in rocket science, well yeah, it's rocket science, right. But gardening is the same way you learn about it, you get better, you try things, you kill plants. Listen, I'm giving you permission to kill plants. The important part of becoming a better horticulturist is killing plants. A guy named J. C. Ralston one of the best horticultures in the Southeastern United States in the past decades. He said that to be a good gardener, you have to kill a lot of plants. Well, it's okay to do that, but you learn every time you do it, and hopefully we can help you avoid even killing some of the plants. So that's why we're here, all right. I hope that makes sense. If you want to have success, you just need to learn what you're doing. The other thing you need is to be able to find the products that are going to work. You don't want to go ten different places trying to find some particular product that I talked about on guard Line or that you're heard about. Just go to Southwest Fertilizer Southwest Fertilizers on the corner of Bisnett and Renwick, and I tell you this, there is no place in this region that has as much options as Southwest Fertilizer. Do you need to buy fertilizer? I think they have somewhere between eighteen and two hundred thousand bazillion fertilizers as Southwest Fertilizer. Everything I talk about here on Guardline, they've got it everything. You'll never hear a product name come out of my mouth. For herbicides killing weeds, either preventing or killing existing weeds, for insecticides killing insects, or for fungicides fighting diseases, or for bacteria sides fighting bacteria. You'll never hear a name come out of my mouth that Bob doesn't have it Southwest Fertilizer, because he has it all the way I like to put it. If he didn't have it, you don't need it. And that's really true. Now they're celebrating their seventieth year down there on the corner of Bisnett and Runwick in Southwest Houston. Here's the phone number seven to one three six sixty six seventeen forty four. Go buy there and check it out. It is printing season. Go look at their Fellco, their Corona and the other quality brands that they carry. They have a ninety foot wall of gardening tools. If you want to build a weed wiper like you see on my website gardening with Skip dot com, a homemade weed wiper, Bob carries what you need to build it with. He carries a grabber tool that's the right kind to build the weedwiper. He carries the kneeling seat, the garden kneeling seat, and that is so helpful when you're getting up and down and up and down working in the garden all day. Go by and see him corner Bissonette and Renwick. He carries things like Microlife fertilizer, for example. Now Microlife saying saying he carries Microlife fertilizer is like you know, saying a car dealer carries automobiles. Which automobiles, what kinds Well, in the case of Bob, it's all the above. Do you need Microlife sixty four, the green bag, the one we use in the spring to fertilize our lawns. Do you Microlife Humates Plus. They've got that very good, very good for your well. You make the soil right, you make the plants happy, and that's true with turf. Microlife Humates Plus will do that. Do you need a liquid product? They have a wide range of liquid products, including the Ocean Harvest, which is a blue label. It's a four two three fish based fertilizer that really works. They have the Biomatrix that's the orange label. By the way, these coming gallons and in quartz. Biomatrix orange label is high. It's a seven to one to three, so it's higher in nitrogen. So all your foliage house plants, you need to use it for that, any kind of foliage plant especially. It works well with you want to give your tomato plants a boost as they get growing. Biomatrix that'll do that too, Just another one of the awesome products from the folks at Microlife. I was visiting with one of the guys at Microlife just this past week. We were there both doing some training for some folks and just talking about the products they have and what they've come out with. And it's always good. It's always good to see so many helpful options for people that are trying to have success with what they do. Well, you are listening to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're going to take a little break here in just a bit. If you would like to get on the board and be one of the first ones up when we come back, Well, now's a good time to doll seven to one three two one two kt rh seven to one three two one two kt r H. I'm going to take a break here in just one second, and I hope that you will come out and see me today at Enchanted Gardens. I don't care where you live in town. You need to see Enchanted Gardens. It is a very nice nursery, a very nice nursery. You will be very surprised. Bring some friends with you. We're going to have fun. I promise you that. And even if it starts to miss a little bit, they've got it all set up in a tent, so you're gonna be high and dry and we're gonna have a good time. So don't worry about any of that. I'm asking the weather to hold off anyway. But come on out and see me at Enchanted Gardens from twelve to one. All right, time for me to go. I'll be right back. All right, folks, we're back. We are gonna jump straight out to the phones here and let's see. We're going to talk to Joanne. Joanne. Welcome to garden Line. Hey, Joanne, you there? All right, I'm gonna put Joanne on hold. I will come right back, but we're gonna move on and talk to Sandy. Hey, Sandy Southwest. Here's welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 49: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have a question about potting soils.
Speaker 36: I've always for my raised bids, I've used the two parts of roast soil the one part of compost.
Speaker 2: Do I do the same when I'm going to use pots or do I do something different? Well, you could in a very large pot used like a roast soil compost blend. You could also use a veedgy nerve mix blend if you want to do in a large pot. Even though it says vegetables and herbs, you can do it for flo It works well for flowers too. Or you could if your pot wasn't very large, you could just go with more of a potting mix, you know, like you would use for indoor plants and things. That's another option. It's just when you get a real large pot, some of the potting mixes can be a little bit dense and over time not have the best internal drainage. And when they're in a pot outdoors it's very large. Either way though, you're going to be okay either way you want.
Speaker 18: To go about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, The goal is just not yeah, the goal, just real quick is sandy, is not to have a real chunky mix in a smaller pot where the water just runs through it and you don't have a good root zone of moisture contact with soul moisture. So that's why we go with the little finer textured as we get in smaller pots. Okay, Okay, thank you, thank you, ma'am. Appreciate the call for sure. I'll tell you what if you want to see some unbelievably beautiful plants. In terms, I'm talking about everything from you know, comellas and azalias and down to a cool season, color plants, warm seats, color plants, vegetables, herbs, fruit trees, fruit trees, berries and grapes. Extensive selection. You're going to find all that at Arburgate. Arborgate Garden Center. That's a garden center up there in Tombaal it's out on twenty nine to twenty, just west of Tombol. They always have a good selection. And right now by the way go to Arburgate. There's a lot of people love to go to Arburgate. You need to go around the back, go down Trischel Road. It goes, it leaves twenty nine to twenty, swings around behind Arburgate and comes back into twenty nine to twenty. So whether you're coming or going, you missed it or you haven't gotten there yet. Either way, you're going to come to a Trishel Road. Just take it around to the back. That parking lot is all weather and it is gorgeous, really really beautiful. I mean that it's one of the kinds that I'm going into details here, but it's a kind that has that internal drainage so it can rain rain, rain, and the water just goes right through it. I think that's pretty cool. Well, when you walk in check out the roses. Check out the roses. They have a rosehouse dedicated to Gay Hammond, one of our outstanding ros specialists here in the Houston area. And they are loaded up. And if you need to do Valentine shopping, you got it there. Or go into the plant Indoor Planthouse and look at some of the gorgeous plants. It would make an outstanding gift as well. The gift shops at Arburgate are always worth writing home about. While you're there, pick up their one two three completely easy system that's a soil for anything with roots that is a compost and the soil and the compost itself they contain a expanded shale. I just went blank a minute. Just think of think a kitty litter that's been dried to a very very hot temperature, so it's swollen up and it has all these pitted holes in it, like LoVa rock on a barbecue pt but little tiny particles. Well, that holds that clay soil open for a long time and it is the best single way I know to give you a long term benefit to a clay soil. And mixing it with compost is also good. That gives you additional benefits to it. But they have that at Arbrogate. They also have an organic fertilizer for anything with roots, and so go by there pick those three bags up. Remember brown stuff before green stuff. So go home with those three bags when you go home with the plain from one of the favorite garden centers to go visit in the whole Greater Houston area at the Arbor Gate. All right, we are going to head now up to Conroe and talk to David. Hello, David, welcome to garden Line. Good morning.
Speaker 28: I'm getting ready to put out some fertilizer, the fifteen five to ten fertilizer, and I'm thinking also about ariating, having you are ariated and putting composts down that I did that last year and it really helped the grass. Is there any reason I should not do those two together, the fertilizer. If you m the composting, you could.
Speaker 2: There's not a reason why you shouldn't. But if I were you, I would do the fifteen five to ten is a quick greenup from nitrofiss and I would do that. Anytime at the end of February, even into March is great for doing the early greenup, especially as you know, as we go each week of the month, hopefully it's getting a little warmer and the grass is a little more willing to get up and get moving for that early green up. The fifteen to five to ten would I would let that grass start to grow and then go ahead and do your compost top dressing and aeration. There's no reason you can't do it. But I would let the grass get growing a little bit and then follow that up with that compost. The aerration and compost top dressing, and that those through two different things. There is nutrients in the compost, but you're you're doing those two the aeration and top dressing. You're doing that to get oxygen down in the soil, to get organic matter down in the soil, to stimulate biological activity and just get that grassroots system really healthy.
Speaker 28: Okay, so that that should wait a little bit longer. I should wait a little bit longer on that until things really start to grow.
Speaker 2: I would, well, I would, because you're going to go ahead and do that that fertilization earlier on with that fifteen five to ten green release and get that going. If you needed to get them both done in March, you could. But if you wait a little bit and you're starting to mow the lawn, that is prime time, you know, forgetting the aerration done to and you're not going to miss a boat by waiting on that. You can do that anytime you want through this season. Thank you, sir. Appreciate it, all right, you bet, thank you. I appreciate your call. Alrighty, well, here's another break. So looks like we got our we got our fill of phone calls for the last segment coming up, and that would be Jim and Susan and Cody. You will be the first three and probably the only three up when we come back after the break. Look forward to talking to you. Alrighty, we're back. All right, we're in our last shot of the day here, folks. We're gonna knock it out. Well, before we went to break, while ago, we were talking about Nitrophoss's Imperial fifteen five to ten, the Orange Red Bag, and you know we're entering that season where we do the early greenup. If you want to do an early greenup, that's a perfect product for doing it. But right now is this window where we need to get the barricade down. If you're going to prevent weeds in your lawn, you put on the barricade, You water it in with a half inch of water, and when they try to sprout, the barricade is sitting up there like a barricade over the soil surface that prevents the weeds from ever establishing. You don't even see the weats because it takes care of them. Now, a ten pound bag is going to cover about five thousand square feet. It controls both broad leaf and grassy weeds. And I was doing someone earlier. It sticks to the soul very well, better than some other pre emergence. By the way, so if we do get a little bit of a gully washer rain, it's probably going to hang on a lot better than some of the others would and still be around afterwards. Now, you always want to follow the label. Do not if the label says a teaspoon on an insecticide, fungicide, herbicide, whatever side is. Then if the label says a teaspoon, don't put a tablespoon. You can cause damage with products that you overapply or misapply. There's a reason the label has a number. That number is what works with the greatest degree of safety in using any particular product. That's why they have labels on them. So do that. Now, where do you get barricade, Well, I'll give you the quick answer. It's everywhere. A little bit longer answer. You're going to find barricade at ingented gardens, which I'm going to be at today from twelve to one. Come on down, you get your barricade there. You can find it at Hide and Feed on I forty five North. And then there's a number of Fishers Hardware's. There's one in Pasadena, one in Laporte, one in my Bellevue. There's a Fisher's Hardware, and Baytown. They all carry barricade as well. And I'm just giving you examples of a few of the mini mini stores that carry nine to FOSS products. Well, let's see here. We are going to go and talk to Jim in Santa Fe. Hey, Jim, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 24: Yes, I have a question down fertilizer. Last week the fifty five ten the grass is starting to green out, and then I see we're going.
Speaker 3: To have a light freeze coming, and I also put.
Speaker 24: Down the pre emergent. Do I need to We got the rain after I put the fertilizer down, and the grass is starting to green up and grow. It needs to be mowed, but I'm going to wait until after the freeze to mow. Okay, And do do I need to water the grass to kind of protect it the new grass from the upcoming freeze coming up?
Speaker 2: Not to protect it from the freeze. But if there has not been rain or irrigation put on the ground on the grass since you put the barricade or the pre emerging out, then you do need to water it in. Go ahead and get that done. Or if you want to wait and see if rain's going to take care of it, you can do that either way, but don't mow until you've watered in the pre emergent.
Speaker 24: Yeah, and it rained after I put it down for like a day and a half, so we got a nice light brain.
Speaker 2: Oh so okay, all right?
Speaker 24: So also I redid my beads because we have a new house.
Speaker 3: I didn't like what the builder put in.
Speaker 24: I haven't put mulch down yet now I'm going to have to cover the plants for the breeze coming out. Do I need to get the munch down to help insulate the keep the dirt around the plants warm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, especially something that's a little bit marginally hardy, you know where you don't want it to kill it out right, killing a perennial to the ground. That's just part of the natural cycle. But you don't want to lose that crown the base of the plant. So mulch over the base of plants will give you that protection during cold and then pull it back away. You don't want a big ol'd pollo mouf smother in the base of the plant. But for a wade during the cold, it provides a little bit extra insulation. Not all plants need it, but uh, it's not a bad idea.
Speaker 24: Now, is it going to be cold enough where I have to cover some of my new flowers that put down and new flowering plants?
Speaker 2: Uh, you were in safe What are you going to get about twenty three? I believe in Santa Fang something like that. Check your weather. If it's going to get down in the mid twenties, I would cover And I'm pretty sure it is where you.
Speaker 24: Are, Yeah, because I think it's supposed to be in the twenties Thursday morning or Wednesday morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so here's the thing. You know, we could gamble and I could give you my best guess is if it's going to kill him or not. But I would rather go conservative and say, you know what, I think you need to cover and that way you don't lose all those valuable plants and time and effort. You put in.
Speaker 24: Some type of covering that you put on there the greens.
Speaker 2: All right, let me you can buy it or anything anything to kind of hold some of the rising heat up. It could be a bed sheet, it could be a frost cloth if you have something to support it above the plants. I mean, you can cover it with a tarp. That's all you got on hand, but just just to hold that heat in. I've got a short time and some more collars waiting, so I'm gonna run, Jim. But good luck protecting those things and getting it under control. Let's run out to Patterson now and talk to Susan. Hey, Susan, hey, Skip, good morning.
Speaker 50: I have a question now that all my annuals have frozen down and we pulled all the dead stuff out. I've got axalis like crazy, and I try to be organic, but I know I can't dig these things up, so they just keep laughing at me. So what what do you recommend? Do I do the tricle peer or what would I use on those?
Speaker 2: Where is the oxalis grunt?
Speaker 45: What?
Speaker 2: What desirable is growing? Okay? So do you have flowers in the beds around the oxalis?
Speaker 11: Not?
Speaker 3: Not yet?
Speaker 2: Okay? Well, are we talking about the oxalis that the little three leaf clover leaves are about the size of a man's thumbnail, or are we talking about an oxalis that has leaves the size of a golf ball or something like that.
Speaker 7: I don't have.
Speaker 50: I kind of have some different sizes. I don't have any as big as a golf ball, but I do definitely have some that make Usually the bigger leaf ones make the pink flowers and the other ones don't. But I didn't know they just were immature and hadn't gotten.
Speaker 2: To that point yet. Now, those bigger leaf ones, if you got a little tuber underground and you got to get something to translocate down there, So your options for oxalis that are going to have a little bulb underground, I said, tuber bulb is to dig it up or to put something like you mentioned trimeac on it to go down in the plant. There's the little yellow flowering oxalis with the small leaves. If you can even put a leaf in your mouth chew on. It's got a lemony flavor. That kind is coming primarily from seed, and so you want a mulch on the surface, but pre emergent would be another option for that. If you go to my website gardening with skip dot Com, I have a device called a homemade weed wiper, and look at it. It's really easy to build. And then you like, let's say you were going to use trimec, you wouldn't have to spray it all over your beds. You put it on the sponges on the weed wiper and dab it right on the weed. Go look at it. I've got a publication that says here's the herbicide you use on the wiper, and I like that because we're not putting so much of that chemical out in the environment. We're targeting it, right.
Speaker 50: I was just going to dab it on individually.
Speaker 2: There you go, all right, sounds like you're in business. Sorry, I gave you work.
Speaker 50: It's okay. I wanted to put a plug in for Nelson's Watergarden Nursery and Katie, they're awesome.
Speaker 2: They are awesome. Thanks for that. I agree. I love going by there all right, Cody in Spring, you are our last caller of the day. Looks like I got a little over a minute. Let's see if we can help you. Hey, skip that great show. Thank you.
Speaker 34: Is there anything on the Virginia button weed that won't kill on Saint Augustine grass?
Speaker 2: Yes, pray. There are a number of products that will make it unhappy. The one that does the best job of outright killing it is called celsius, like the temperature fahrenheit and celsius. Celsius comes in a little pack that makes one gallon of mix. But you mix it up and you don't have to drench it. You just barely spray it. But right now Virginia button weed is not actively growing. It's not really happy right now. Wait until it warms up enough. Do we see some new growth coming on it? Spray it then, and you may have to repeat it about six weeks later. Spray it again, But that is probably as a single ingredient. One shot stop that would Celsius is what I would probably use on it. Okay, but don't spray it now. I appreciate right, all right, you take care, appreciate the call. Wow. Well that was another show that seem to go fast. Don't I say that every show? Because they say time flies when you're having fun, and I'm having fun. I hope you are. Actually Kermit the frog sets time says time's fun when you're having flies. But that's a whole other thing. Sorry, I had kids. I'm a dad. It's a dad joke. I specialize on them. When the kids were young, I could rule the room. About age ten, I started getting rolling eyes. And now they don't even react at all. You've experienced that probably. Hey, guess what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna grab me a bite to eat. I'm heading down to Enchanted Gardens. I'll be there from twelve noon to one thirty talking about tips for making gardening less work. We're gonna have fun. We are gonna have fun. If it decides to miss the little no problem. We're in a big, old covered tent. It's nice, the temperatures gonna be great. Come on out, bring me samples of plants in bags, samples of bugs and weeds and other things. We'll identify them, we'll diagnose them, we'll figure out what to do. Bring me pictures on your phone. Hey, here's a spot, what will grow there? And I'll just tell you. And they will have it in Chenny Gardens because they have everything again. They are on FM three point fifty nine north of Richmond, south of Kady, Chenny Gardens, twelve noon to one thirty. I hope you come out. Love to see you, love to meet you.