Speaker 1: So if you wanted to solve a murder like thirty years ago, you basically just looked for what the killer left behind in the physical world, right.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, you're looking for a footprint in the mud outside a window, or something.
Speaker 1: Exactly, a dropped match book, maybe a stray fiber from a jacket, or you're just canvassing the neighborhood, you know, hoping someone happened to be looking out their window at exactly the right second.
Speaker 2: Right, Because the whole foundation of criminal investigation used to be built entirely on tangible physical traces. I mean you could literally touch the evidence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could see it under a magnifying glass. But the evolution of that process today is it's completely staggering. We've shifted from relying on that physical trace to this almost like total dependence on an invisible digital web.
Speaker 2: We really have. We're looking at a world where the absolute most crucial witnesses in a capital murder case aren't even human beings anywhere.
Speaker 1: No, they're not. They don't sleep, they don't have eyes, they definitely don't get intimidated by defense attorneys on the stand.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and they are just constantly silently watching every move.
Speaker 1: We make, which is terrifying, honestly, but that brings us right into our deep dive. Today. We are unpacking the tragic and what initially seemed like a completely unsolvable murder of Professor Matthew Wiser.
Speaker 2: And we are drawing from a really incredible source for this deep dive. It's a detailed transcript from the Crime three to sixty true crime documentary series.
Speaker 1: Right which gives us these amazing, raw, first hand accounts we hear directly from the detectives on the ground, the responding campus police, and really poignantly, the victim's own father.
Speaker 2: Our whole mission with his deep dive is to extract the mechanics of modern digital forensics for you. We want to look at exactly how modern technology acts as that silent.
Speaker 1: Witness, yeah, and how a single seemingly totally insignificant stolen toy can literally unravel an entire highly sophisticated criminal network.
Speaker 2: To really grasp the sheer contrast here, you know, between the life that was taken and the violent nature of the crime, we have to look at Professor.
Speaker 1: Wiser himself, definitely, so he was thirty nine years old, an economics professor at the University of South Alabama.
Speaker 2: Right, and the source material paints this really vivid picture of a guy who was just deeply embedded in this quiet, highly routine academic life. I mean, he was in his fourth year of a six year, ten year.
Speaker 1: Track, which is super stressful. But he was beloved, He revered his students, he never wanted to retire, and he had this just profoundly gifted mathematical mind.
Speaker 2: That anecdote his father shared is amazing, right.
Speaker 1: The one about the high school math meets, Yeah, exactly. His dad described how Matthew was like always targeted by the moderators for every single question at these intense regional math meets.
Speaker 2: They would read off this incredibly complex, you know, multi variable calculus problem.
Speaker 1: To the whole room, and before anyone else could even pick up a pencil, Mathew would just sit there and state the answer is one thy nine hundred and forty eight.
Speaker 2: And he was always exact. It's like he didn't even calculate it. He just natively saw the architecture of the numbers.
Speaker 1: It's wild. But beyond that huge intellect, the defining thing everyone in the documentary kept coming back to was his gentleness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was physically a really large man, but his father just described him as a gentle giant. He literally had no enemies in the world.
Speaker 1: His dad actually called it an absolutely unnecessary crime. I mean, he wasn't doing anything risky, no illicit markets, nothing, He went to work, came home, graded papers, and played video games.
Speaker 2: Just a life totally insulated by routine. And that peaceful structure makes the chaos of November twentieth so jarring for everyone involved.
Speaker 1: Right, and this is where the physical evidence, or i guess the complete lack of it, presents the police with an almost impossible puzzle.
Speaker 2: Let's walk through that timeline of the discovery because it really shows how fast a normal day just completely unravels.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Professor Wiser had this ongoing issue with his leg, meaning he couldn't drive himself. He relied on a higher driver to take him to work every day, even.
Speaker 2: Though the university was what only about half a mile from.
Speaker 1: His house, yeah, super close. So at twelve pm exactly, the driver arrives at the front door, knocks, waits, gets no answer.
Speaker 2: Which you know, in isolation isn't a massive crisis. People sleep in, they get sick.
Speaker 1: Right, they misplace their keys, so the driver eventually just leaves, but the real trigger is an hour later, at one point zero pm, Weiser misses his afternoon economics class.
Speaker 2: And for a guy on a tenure track who loves his students, missing a lecture without calling the department is like a flashing red siren.
Speaker 1: Oh Instantly, the university doesn't even wait. They dispatch campus police right to his house for a wellness check.
Speaker 2: Get there, knock on the front door, no answer, so they walk around to the back, and the narrative immediately shifts from a wellness check to a massive emergency.
Speaker 1: The back door isn't just unlocked, it is violently swung wide open. There are literal pieces of the wooden door frame just shattered on the ground.
Speaker 2: That kind of damage is a definitive signature of forced entry. Someone didn't just pick the lock or use a credit.
Speaker 1: Card now, they used a fulcrum like a heavy steel pride bar or crowbar, and just physically defeated the dead bolt by destroying the wood holding the strike plate.
Speaker 2: When campus police see structural damage like that, protocol means an immediate tactical response. They draw weapons, announce themselves, and enter to clear the house for any active threats.
Speaker 1: The house is clear of threats, but what they find on the second floor is just devastating. Professor Weiser is lying face down in a pool of his own blood in the hallway.
Speaker 2: It's immediately clear that he's deceased and that this is a homicide. So the City of Mobile Police Department homicide unit is called in.
Speaker 1: You've got this beloved, innocent professor murdered in his own home, essentially right next to the campus. The public pressure on this case goes from zero to one hundred in minute, absolutely.
Speaker 2: So the homicide detectives and crime scene texts get there and they start processing the space, and the forensic reality starts to emerge, but it tells a completely contradictory story. Right.
Speaker 1: They examine the body and find a single gunshot wound just above his right nipple.
Speaker 2: And the trajectory of this bullet is practically unbelievable, it really is.
Speaker 1: It passes entirely through his chest cavity, exits his back, and then continues traveling straight down the length of the whole second floor hallway.
Speaker 2: It strikes a closed bedroom door at the very end the hall, goes cleanly through the wood and.
Speaker 1: Enters the bedroom, and because Weiser was a huge collector, I mean he accumulated massive amounts of stuff. That bedroom is packed floor to ceiling with boxes, electronics clutter.
Speaker 2: Which is usually a nightmare for crime scene texts. Finding a fired bullet in that environment usually means dismantling the room and cutting open the drywall.
Speaker 1: Right using laser trajectory mapping and all that. But in this bizarre stroke of luck, one of the lead detectives is moving items and literally finds the fired bullet sitting perfectly, neatly inside an open box.
Speaker 2: Right on top of the clutter. In the transcript, he actually says the bullet was just presenting itself like it wanted to be found.
Speaker 1: Identify it as a point three to eight special caliber bullet that suggests the weapon was a revolver, not a semi automatic pistol.
Speaker 2: Which perfectly explains why there was no spent brass casing on the floor. Revolvers retain their shell casings in the cylinder.
Speaker 1: But that single bullet is where the physical forensics just stop being helpful. It immediately becomes this massive psychological.
Speaker 2: Paradox, exactly because the scene analysis creates this huge conflict about the motive. When investigators analyze the scene, they're looking for behavioral artifacts to understand the why, and.
Speaker 1: The shattered back door completely screams property crime. It is the textbook daytime residential burglary entry.
Speaker 2: But then they document the inside of the house and that entire theory completely collapses.
Speaker 1: Because you walk into a house breach with a crowbar, you expect it to be ransacked. But his wallet is sitting right there in plane view.
Speaker 2: Credit cards, laid out, watches, expensive jewelry, checkbooks, even.
Speaker 1: His personal cell phone is just sitting untouched. In his room, they find high in laptops, tablets, and xbox, thousands of dollars of easily paintable stuff totally ignored.
Speaker 2: The contradiction is glaring. Right, you have the high risk, high effort entry of a burglary combined with a zero yield result.
Speaker 1: Right, let's pause on that. You use immense physical exertion to break a solid door off its hinges, step inside, and leave laptops and cash sitting in front of you.
Speaker 2: It makes no sense if this was a.
Speaker 1: Random burglary gone wrong. Why fire one lethal shot and then abandon the whole reason you broke in? It totally violates the basic logic of a profit driven crime.
Speaker 2: It violates logic because human behavior under sudden catastrophic panic is inherently illogical. We have to look at the physiology of an interrupted burglary.
Speaker 1: Oh, like, what's happening in the burglar's brain exactly.
Speaker 2: The baseline assumption for a daytime burglar is that the house is empty. They target hours between nine zero zero zero am and three point zero zero pm because people are at work, so.
Speaker 1: They think they have total control of the environment.
Speaker 2: Right. They are in a state of high autonomic around heart rate is up scanning for threats, but their brain is completely focused on getting high value goods.
Speaker 1: But then that assumption gets shattered.
Speaker 2: Yes, a burglar comes around a corner and is abruptly confronted by a six foot tall homeowner. The brain undergoes a massive physiological event and amygdala hijack, where the.
Speaker 1: Threat detection center just completely overrides the prefrontal cortex.
Speaker 2: Right precisely, The rational planning part of the brain shuts down instantly, the body is flooded with adrenaline and cortisol. Pure survival instinct takes over.
Speaker 1: So the single shot was just a reflexive startle response. It wasn't a calculated execution, just sheer terror.
Speaker 2: In the second that deafening gunshot rings out in that hallway and they watch a man collapse, the reality of the crime shifts instantly.
Speaker 1: It goes from a burglary charge to a potential death penalty for capital murder.
Speaker 2: Right, the psychological priority shifts in a microsecond from getting money to immediate escape. The laptops in cash don't matter anymore.
Speaker 1: The biological imperative is just to flee before the cops show up. That's why the house is still full of valuables. They left empty handed because survival instincts overrode greed.
Speaker 2: Which perfectly explains the chaotic scene, but it leaves to detectives with a totally cold trail. They bring in the specialized crime scene unit to this.
Speaker 1: Massive house, and these techs spend hours and hours working all night dusting for fingerprints on doors, switches, everywhere, and they get absolutely nothing usable, not one print for the database.
Speaker 2: This is a really critical point because people have this huge misconception about fingerprint evidence from TV. The biochemistry of a fingerprint is incredibly.
Speaker 1: Fragile because it's just sweat and oil, right, exactly.
Speaker 2: A latent print is essentially a crime sweat mostly water and amino acids mixed with subaceous oils from touching your face or.
Speaker 1: Hair, and for that to leave a readable print, the conditions have to be like completely perfect.
Speaker 2: The surface is the biggest variable. Smooth glass or polished metal hold prints well, but textured surfaces, unfinished wood, porous stuff actively disperse the oils.
Speaker 1: Plus, if the guy's wearing cheap gloves or just wipes his hands on his jeans, the oil transfer is basically gone. And Weiser's house was really dusty and cluttered.
Speaker 2: So the probability of recovering an afis quality print drops to near zero.
Speaker 1: So they have no biochemical evidence, no witnesses, nobody heard the shot, which happens in well insulated homes, and nobody saw anyone running away.
Speaker 2: The canvas for surveillance, but Wiser didn't have cameras. They finally find a next door neighbor with a ring doorbell camera.
Speaker 1: The lead detective must have been thrilled.
Speaker 2: He was. He pulls the footage expecting to see the killer walking away, but he scrubs through it and it's just a crushing disappointment. Just random cars driving by, no suspect on.
Speaker 1: Foot, so they are in a total evidence vacuum, no physical forensics, a motivational paradox of a scene, and starting a high profile case from absolute zero.
Speaker 2: It's the most precarious spot for a detective. They have to shift methodology, establish a hard timeline, and desperately cultivate a human lead.
Speaker 1: YU sure Cooker leads to what looks like a massive break but is actually a huge distraction.
Speaker 2: The community is terrified, a peaceful professor gunned down in daylight. The political and media pressure to close this is.
Speaker 1: Immense, and right in the middle of that, the tip line rings. An anonymous caller, a student at South Alabama, says he overheard someone on campus bragging about playing a part in the murder.
Speaker 2: From an investigative view, that is highly actionable intelligence. If a professor is killed near campus, the statistical probability of a student being involved is high enough to warrant immediate resources.
Speaker 1: The police mobilize fast. They get a name from the tipster. A student will call Joseph, and ironically he's studying criminal justice.
Speaker 2: They use the university's CCTV system track Joseph across the quad, get a high res photo. Have the tipster id him and bring him straight to headquarters.
Speaker 1: They bring him right into the interrogation room, and this part is a masterclass in behavioral analysis.
Speaker 2: They don't accuse him immediately. They ask him to build a minute by minute timeline of his day, watching his micro expressions, his posture.
Speaker 1: And Joseph's reaction is totally opposite to a guilty suspect. The detective said, he wasn't defensive, didn't ask for a lawyer. He was remarkably polite and confident.
Speaker 2: He didn't get agitated. He just said, no, y'all are looking in the wrong place. Yeah. He even consented to a search of his dorm room and told them to interview his roommates.
Speaker 1: Which is a huge warning bell for an interrogator. Right.
Speaker 2: Definitely, a guilty person, especially a young student who just committed murder, is under a massive cognitive load. They have to remember Lie's suppress.
Speaker 1: Fear and it leaks out through stuttering or anger or getting defensive over tiny details. They definitely don't invite police to tear through their room.
Speaker 2: Joseph's absolute calm consistency told the detective they were wasting their time.
Speaker 1: Well, wait, let's pause. If Joseph is totally innocent, why is an anonymous tipster calling the police saying they heard him confessing? Was he just bragging about a murder he didn't do it?
Speaker 2: Sounds deeply irrational, but in high profile tracks, this is heavily documented. It's the sociological mechanics of rumor and social contagion, like.
Speaker 1: The telephone game exactly.
Speaker 2: A community experiences collective anxiety, so people talk. Someone says, I wonder if a criminal justice student did.
Speaker 1: It, and the next person says, I heard a CJ student was involved, and then it becomes I heard Joseph from my CGI class did it.
Speaker 2: And sometimes people actually falsely claim involvement for status. Young adults wanting clout might make a dark joke and a bystander takes it literally and calls the cops.
Speaker 1: Human intelligence is just so fragile compared to hard data. So Joseph is cleared. They burn precious time. They're back to square one, but the clock is ticking.
Speaker 2: They pivot away from rumors and go straight to digital records, starting with wiser cell phone.
Speaker 1: But they aren't looking for a suspects number, the subpoena, the call detail, records the CDRs to establish an immovable time of death.
Speaker 2: This is where the digital footprint starts to show its power. The telecom data show is Wiser made an outgoing call at exactly eleven one point two five am, and we know.
Speaker 1: The driver arrived at the door at twelve thro z pm flat and got no answer.
Speaker 2: So through digital records and witness testimony, the window is locked. The murder had to happen in that tight thirty five minute window.
Speaker 1: It's like a steel trap. It doesn't tell you who pulled the trigger, but it creates a perfect filter. If you can't prove where you were between eleven point twenty five and twelve zero zero, you're caught.
Speaker 2: It's the structural foundation for the case, but we have to acknowledge the massive emotional weight on the team here. They have a timeline but zero.
Speaker 1: Suspects, and the documentary shares this haunting detail. The lead detective had actually spoken to Wiser on the phone three weeks before the murder about a neighborhood issue, and.
Speaker 2: During that call, Wiser made an offhand comment that he didn't expect the police to ever sult the case as something happened to him because crime is just too random, just.
Speaker 1: A chilling prophecy. The detective is fighting against the victim's own fatalism. And on top of that, he promised Wiser's dad he'd be the one to call when they made an arrest.
Speaker 2: He's carrying that promise while staring at a file with zero physical evidence and zero witnesses. So the investigation undergoes a fundamental evolution here.
Speaker 1: They stop looking at what the killer left behind and start obsessively focusing on what is actually missing from the house.
Speaker 2: Shifting from positive evidence to negative evidence, and this leads to the biggest breakthrough of the case, a digital tripwire.
Speaker 1: The inventory revelation. Remember the house is a labyrinth of boxes. Taking inventory of a hoarder's house is grueling. They're comparing everything to receipts and Amazon histories.
Speaker 2: And they establish Wiser was an avid gamer. As they self through everything, they realize one relatively inexpensive item is gone.
Speaker 1: Out of all the laptops and jewelry, the only thing missing is a Nintendo Switch gaming console.
Speaker 2: The ultimate needle in the haystack. But how do you scientifically prove it was there that morning and not sold months ago?
Speaker 1: Because the empty plastic game cases for Zelda, Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey are sitting right near the tea.
Speaker 2: They tear apart his office, his car, every box. The games are there, the doc is there, the console is gone.
Speaker 1: So they decided to subpoena Nintendo. The detectives admit there was zero precedent in their department for using a children's toy to solve a capital murder.
Speaker 2: They're used to pinging cell phones with GPS. A switch as a toy doesn't have a cellular radio or GPS.
Speaker 1: But the detective understands modern electronics the Internet of Things. A switch operates on a complex Wi Fi architecture.
Speaker 2: To update or play multiplayer, or verify licenses, it has to perform a handshake protocol with a local network routing to Nintendo's global server.
Speaker 1: His hypothesis is brilliant. If the killers took it and ever turn it on and connect to the internet, it acts as a digital beacon. It calls home.
Speaker 2: So they send the subpoena to Nintendo's legal team and wait days past then weeks. The trail goes ice cold.
Speaker 1: It feels like Weiser's prediction of random violence is going to win. Then On December seventh, almost three weeks later, around two point zero zero pm, the detective gets an email from Nintendo.
Speaker 2: And he literally screams in the middle of the squad room. The switch has connected.
Speaker 1: To the Internet and the data is super specific. It connected for exactly ten minutes, which is a huge behavioral clue, but.
Speaker 2: It raises a logical question. If you steal the device during a murder, why wait three weeks to turn it on and why only for ten minutes?
Speaker 1: Right? Wouldn't you just wipe it the mini got home, so you could sell it, you'd think.
Speaker 2: So, But that ignores the underground economy as stolen electronics, there's a life cycle for fence goods.
Speaker 1: H because it's a high heat crime. The item is radioactive exactly.
Speaker 2: The offenders know the police are looking for it, so it gets put in a drawer or a stash house while they wait for the heat to die.
Speaker 1: Down, so it just sits there, or it gets passed around, traded for drugs until someone decides it's safe to sell.
Speaker 2: But to sell a modern console, you can't leave the victim's profile logged in. You have to execute a hard factory.
Speaker 1: Reset, and the OS requires an active Internet connection and to authenticate the wipe with Nintendo servers before it formats the memory.
Speaker 2: Precisely, that ten minute window wasn't someone playing Zelda. It was someone rapidly connecting to Wi Fi, executing the factory wipe and disconnecting.
Speaker 1: They thought they were a rasing Wiser's digital ghost, making it untraceable, but trying to sever the connection is what lit them up on the map.
Speaker 2: The wipe command forced the console to log its current IP address on Nintendo servers, and Nintendo handed it to the detectives.
Speaker 1: Let's do a deep dive on IP addresses because it's the absolute lynchpin here. Every network enabled device acts as a node.
Speaker 2: When it connects to a router and the router request Internet access from an ISP. The ISP assigns a public IP address.
Speaker 1: The documentary compared it to a Social Security number for a specific Internet connection at a specific moment.
Speaker 2: Is the perfect analogy. A public IP can give you exact GPS coordinates or tell you which bedroom the console is in, but it provides an auditable paper trail.
Speaker 1: So law enforcement takes that IP and the two point zero zero PM time stamp. On December seventh and subpoena is the ISP. Like Comcast or AT and T.
Speaker 2: They ask who was leasing this exact string of numbers at this exact second, and.
Speaker 1: The ISP's automated systems the DHCP leases match it directly to the physical billing address of the customer's modem.
Speaker 2: It literally bridges the digital cloud directly to a physical front door in the real world.
Speaker 1: The ISP traces it to an apartment unit on downtown or Boulevard and mobile registered to a woman named Kinesha.
Speaker 2: This is where they transition back to human intelligence. They have a location, but Drywall isn't a suspect. They need to know whose hands were holding the console.
Speaker 1: So they go knock on Kinesh's door and the interview is tragically casual. The detective just asked, has anyone been here recently with a Nintendo.
Speaker 2: Swish and she just openly replies, yeah, my brother TikZ timmins. He came over with a switch and asked for the Wi Fi to reset it.
Speaker 1: She has absolutely no idea she's handing homicide detectives the prime suspect in a capital murder case.
Speaker 2: None and Tks is roughly twenty years years old, couch surfing no permanent address, not a student, no major violent history.
Speaker 1: If that switch hadn't pinged that router for those ten minutes, Tcauzou's been a total post.
Speaker 2: But the digital net is tightening. Kanisha also casually mentions tk's vehicle, a white Honda Accord he just bought from a small local used car dealership.
Speaker 1: That detail cracks it wide open because it introduces the hidden surveillance tech in the subprime auto market.
Speaker 2: We really have to explore this for decades by here pay here lots financed high risk buyers. If a buyer defaulted, they had to hire a.
Speaker 1: Reboman, which is expensive and dangerous. But technology solve that and inadvertently solve this murder right.
Speaker 2: To protect their assets, these dealerships hardwire cellular telematics units GPS trackers deep into the wiring harness.
Speaker 1: Pulling phantom power from the battery with a simcard, constantly transmitting the location to a central server.
Speaker 2: Some even have starter interrupt relays missapay. They click a button online and your car won't start, and.
Speaker 1: They can see exactly where it's part. But the crucial part for the detectives is that these servers maintain historical GPS.
Speaker 2: Logs minute by minute for months. Law enforcement subpoena is the historical data for Ticky's white Honda.
Speaker 1: They filter for the morning of November twentieth, and the satellite data is chilling. It shows the Honda drove into Weiser's neighborhood and stopped near his house at exactly eleven to fifty am.
Speaker 2: Let's contextualize that with our timeline. Weiser's call was eleven point twenty five, the driver arrived at twelve zero, and the.
Speaker 1: Historical GPS puts Tikas's car perfectly parked near the house at eleven fifty am, right inside that thirty five minute murder window.
Speaker 2: The vice just snapshut, but the detectives are relentless. They don't just go arrest them. They take this highly specific data back to the third link in the web.
Speaker 1: The neighbors ring doorbell camera the exact same footage. They discard it as useless on day one.
Speaker 2: It's a perfect demonstration of expectation bias. When you don't know what to look for, your brain filters out back ground noise.
Speaker 1: He was looking for a guy running in a ski mask, but now with a specific vehicle description and an exact timestamp. They look again and.
Speaker 2: Queuing up to eleven to fifty am. There it is, hiding in plain sight, a white four door vehicle slowly pulling in across the street during the exact window.
Speaker 1: Look At how these systems interact. A toy leads to an IP, which leads to a sister, to a car loan to GPS data, which gives the timestamp to make a random car on a doorbell video highly relevant.
Speaker 2: Disparate devices communicating across databases to build a flawless map of the crime.
Speaker 1: But a map in a blurry car don't prove who pulled the trigger. They have to leverage this web of evidence against human psychology. In the interrogation room.
Speaker 2: The domino effect begins. The detectives use the Honda's real time GPS feature to track the live movement of the car to a house on Crestwood Drive.
Speaker 1: They set up a covert perimeter, wait for it to go mobile, and execute a traffic stop. They pulled the driver out, expecting TKS.
Speaker 2: But we get a massive twist. It's not TKS. It's a completely different guy named Curtis's Womack.
Speaker 1: The detectives are thrown for a second, but they adapt. They detain Curtis, secure the car and marched back to the house on Crestwood, and sitting right inside is ts Timmins.
Speaker 2: They take Tkz to headquarters and the interrogation is a masterclass in using digital evidence as a psychological trap.
Speaker 1: Tks thinks it's routine questioning. He tries to spin a fake alibi, claiming he was across town and bought the switch off a random guy on the street.
Speaker 2: He's relying on analog rules, his word against theirs without a witness. He thinks he can.
Speaker 1: Walk, but the detective just lets him build this house of lies. Then he systematically dismantles it. He puts the actual switch on the table and.
Speaker 2: Then drops the hammer. He slides the telematics data print out across.
Speaker 1: The table and he says, your car wasn't across town. The GPS proves from space that your vehicle was parked fifty yards from the front door at eleven fifty am. You are lying and I can prove it.
Speaker 2: It's the moment of total psychological collapse. Tkez realizes the invisible way has him. The detective smartly offers him an off ramp right.
Speaker 1: He says, I know you didn't pull the trigger. You are just the driver. But tell me who shot the professor.
Speaker 2: And this leads to a truly bizarre moment. Tkez is trapped, but still bound by street code. He refuses to say the killer's name out loud because of a no snitching policy.
Speaker 1: It's a complete moral loophole. He asks for a pen and paper, and in total silence, writes down Derek Scott and slides it over.
Speaker 2: In his mind. Because he didn't speak the syllables, he didn't technically rat his partner out, even though he just handed them the murderer on a silver platter.
Speaker 1: Once that dam breaks, he gives up the whole operation. He says he and Derek formed a crew doing daytime burglaries. Ti Kez was the wheelman, Derek was the muscle.
Speaker 2: He details the sequence for November twentieth, drop Derek off. Derek breached the back door with a crowbar.
Speaker 1: Grab the very first thing he saw the switch, but Wiser came around the corner. Derek panicked, Amigdola hijacked, fired the shot, and ran.
Speaker 2: Tks says Derek was so rattle when he got to the car he didn't even want to hold the switch anymore, told Tiks to sell it and split the money.
Speaker 1: Which explains the whole life cycle of the object, why tek has kept it for three weeks, took it to Caineesies to wipe it, and how it ended up in Florida.
Speaker 2: The digital breadcrumbs and human confession align perfectly. So tactical units arrest Derek Scott that same night.
Speaker 1: And Derek's demeanor was chilling, totally emotionless, like being arrested for murder was just an irritating inconvenience.
Speaker 2: But his stoicism doesn't matter because the digital witness is ready to testify. They subpoena Derek's historical cell phone data.
Speaker 1: The telecom logs show rapid fire communication between Tikas and Derek all morning, proving conspiracy. But the cell tower data is the nail in the coffin.
Speaker 2: His phone pained the specific cell towers covering Weiser's neighborhood right at the crime scene during the thirty five minute window.
Speaker 1: Let's unpack cell tower pings the CSLI. It's different from the car's GPS, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: A cell phone is essentially a sophisticated two way radio. It constantly scans for the nearest tower doing a digital handshake every few seconds.
Speaker 1: So it's not a precise GPS dot, it's a record of which directional antenna it top two, giving them a pie shaped wedge on a map.
Speaker 2: Exactly By analyzing the time difference of arrival, engineers triangulate the location with devastating accuracy. The physics of radio waves proved Dari's phone was at the scene.
Speaker 1: It's an inescapable evidentiary matrix, confessed accomplice vehicle, GPS ring, camera call logs, and radio frequency physics.
Speaker 2: But there's one final intersection with traditional forensics.
Speaker 1: Right, because why was Curtis Walmack, the guy driving the Honda days later, also indicted for felony.
Speaker 2: Murder Because investigators didn't ignore the physical tools. They executed a search warrant on a completely different vehicle connected to Curtis.
Speaker 1: And in the trunk they found a heavy steel crowbar.
Speaker 2: They sent it to the state forensic lab for microscopic tool mark analysis. They compare the jagged pieces of Wiser's frame to the prying end of the crowbar.
Speaker 1: Because every time a heavy steel tool is used, it gets micro damage, right, creating a profile as unique as a fingerprint exactly.
Speaker 2: And the lab confirms it's a one hundred percent perfect match. The flaws in Curtis's crowbar perfectly mirror the gouge's in Weiser's door.
Speaker 1: The digital net dragged them out, but the oldest physical evidence scratches on wood locked all three men in. They were all charged with felony murder.
Speaker 2: It really encapsulates the absolute dominance of modern digital investigative work. The volume of silent testimony is staggering.
Speaker 1: The eleven point two to five phone call, the switches, ip lease, the hidden auto loan, GPS, the ring camera, the call logs, the cell tower pings.
Speaker 2: As a detective said, digital evidence is a witness without a dog in the fight. It doesn't misremember, under stress, it doesn't get intimidated. It just provides the math.
Speaker 1: But the human element brings it to closure. That veteran detective kept his promise to Wiser's dad. In the middle of the night, he called him to say arrests had been and arrest.
Speaker 2: Doesn't undo the violence, but it restores a fundamental sense of order. It proves the randomness of the world didn't swallow the truth.
Speaker 1: But there is one profoundly heartbreaking detail from the father. Shortly after Matthew died in the depths of grief, he typed out a text to his murdered son's phone.
Speaker 2: He sent it knowing with absolute certainty his son would never look at a screen again.
Speaker 1: He just typed love you and hit send a final message into the cold digital ether for a gentle giant who has already gone.
Speaker 2: It's a grounding reminder that behind every data point, every IP address, there are actual human lives and permanent loss.
Speaker 1: It really is, and looking at all of this leaves us with a somewhat unsettling thought for you to ponder. We constantly worry about digital privacy hackers or digital footprint being a liability, But.
Speaker 2: The flip side is that your footprint is an indestructible shadow, an objective record of your existence.
Speaker 1: Think about the devices around you right now. If you vanished today, what story would your electronics tell about your final twenty four hours? What timeline would the hidden GPS, the router, and the cell phone build.
Speaker 2: When you look at how these systems caught Professor Weiser's killers, it really makes you think.
Speaker 1: Are you comforted that your technology is an incorruptible witness, always watching or does it make you want to unplug your router and disappear off the grid. A profound reminder of the power of everyday tech in the pursuit of justice. Thanks for joining us, and we'll catch you on the next deep dive.