Speaker 1: Welcome to the Trauma Therapist Podcast. My name is Gamiferson. I interview incredible people who've dedicated their lives to helping those who've been impacted by trauma. A big thank you to our sponsors and our guests who are supporting this show.
Speaker 2: Hello everyone, My name is Christina Consalvlos and I'm a guest host for The Trauma Therapist Podcast by Guy McPherson, and I'm super stoked to interview.
Speaker 3: Alana Brennan today. Hello Alana, welcome on. Hi Christina, Thank you so much for having me, of.
Speaker 2: Course, and before we started what Before I started recording, I was talking about the way in which I found you is through your post in activating the voice and especially for those with chronic illness.
Speaker 3: So I'd love for you to.
Speaker 2: Tell us how you personally got to this point of this being a healing modality for you and for your clients.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just wrapped my first workshop series for women with chronic illness and Exploring the Voice last night, so this is the perfect time to talk about this. For me, this journey was pretty organic. I grew up in a musical family. My mom's a vocalist, my dad side of the family had a lot of musicians. I grew up with music as a big part of my culture, and I love to sing, but my voice was kind of like stuck in the back of my throat.
Speaker 3: It was very like frog sounding almost.
Speaker 4: And through my journey with chronic illness, as many of us, when we start when our bodies start to fail, it might be the first time in your life where you have to set some boundaries for yourself. So as a woman growing up as a people pleaser, you know, I put everybody else first.
Speaker 3: I thought of everyone's emotions before my own.
Speaker 4: And then once I started this journey with nerve pain and mole toxicity and all these things, I had to start saying no. And it was very interesting what happened because I started speaking up for myself, which was really scary and induced a lot of guilt. But as I started to do that, my singing voice changed. So I had done technical training in the past, but at this point in my life, I wasn't doing any training. I wasn't even singing very much, but I was starting to say no. I was starting to set boundaries, and all of a sudden, one day it was like I could like belt, like adele, and I was like, WHOA, where did that come from? Like this is so interesting, there's something here, and that's kind of led me on this journey to become a voice coach and tie in the somatic piece of not just you know, training yourself to sing with the mind, but how can you teach your body that it's safe enough to speak up and how that actually changes your muscles and your physiology. So it's been this really cool journey of self discovery that I'm so passionate about helping other people with.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure so many people listening can relate to this, right the people pleasing and realizing that, oh, I need to start setting boundaries, right because at some point the body begins saying no for us when we don't.
Speaker 3: Say no for it, and we continue.
Speaker 2: To press that override button of like, oh but it's fine, it's okay, I can do it this one time.
Speaker 3: They really need my help.
Speaker 2: I need to underlining theme rescue save them consistently. I mean, our bodies will start to break down if we're also not taking good care of ourselves at the same time. And I know in my own breakdown, if you will. That is when I had to reclaim my voice. That is when I had to start saying no. Finally, this isn't an alignment and trusting that the yes, you know, the yes is.
Speaker 3: To the things that were in alignment would come. And they did.
Speaker 2: But there's also a lot of grief right on that route of saying no with a lot of people benefit from you saying yes, from you being a people pleaser. And I'm curious, like, what has that looked like for you and for the clients you've worked with on this path of boundaries of creating boundaries.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the truth, we can think of chronic illness as a lifetime of unspoken nos, and there's such a correlation and there's been data that's come out about those repressed emotions and how we internalize them and they become chronic illness. So on the journey of like reclaiming our power, you know, usually we swing the.
Speaker 3: Pendulum the other way.
Speaker 4: So a lot of times when we start to say no, it's like eruption. So I see, I saw that within myself and my clients a lot, where it's like people went from never speaking up for themselves to like blowing up at their boss at work or something like that, and having grace and compassion for yourself. That that's kind of part of the journey, is like the lifetime of unspoken nose kind of starts like a volcano, and then we feel so guilty after because as a people pleaser, it's like, oh my gosh, but I love the quote I was taught to keep the piece until I realized whose piece I was keeping. And so it's really checking in with like, that's great, you don't want to hurt other people, but are you hurting yourself? And your body is telling you, through chronic illness or pain that yes, I am hurting myself by keeping this inside.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's it's so so true, and it's something you know, I really had to learn for myself, and like codependence anonymous for those who don't know, it's one of it's a twelve step program and it's it could it could easily be called people pleasers anonymous and understanding this survival response that's no different than fight or flight.
Speaker 3: There's a freeze response and there's the fawning response.
Speaker 2: Where you know it feels safer to quote unquote keep the peace than it does to essentially speak your truth and live live authentically. But in doing so, it's really not sustainable because you're keeping your body in a fight or flight state, which is continuously releasing cortisol, which in fact is impacting your nervous system and your immune system functions. When we think about, like you know, someone listening, wait, how does this, what does this have to do with chronic illness?
Speaker 3: I'm so I'm so confused.
Speaker 2: In not living authentically and speaking your truth, you in fact are not able to listen to and to some degree honor your body and what it's asking you for.
Speaker 3: So your body starts speaking loudly if you will.
Speaker 2: It starts as I say, it starts as a whisper before it turns into a screen, and eventually it can start screaming aka turning into various symptoms or autoimmune diseases, or pain physical.
Speaker 3: Pain in the body.
Speaker 2: It can manifest in so many different ways. But also in I remember reading bringing up doctor Gebori Matte, when the body says no, he says often what he sees, and you just spoke to this is this rage that comes up first, like just complete and uttering.
Speaker 3: It's that pendulum swinging to that other side. You were over here and now just.
Speaker 2: Swine to this side, and it's actually a very healthy response, like it's nothing to be afraid of. It's like, okay, we're here, we can we well, we're going to find the middle path. We need to start someplace. This is you kind of cracking the shell if you will.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yes, anger shows us where our boundaries are being crossed. And our culture has really taught us, especially as a woman, that there's no place for you to be angry. There's no place and so in voice, in the voice work I do, that is like a safe outlet where you can let the anger out and express And whether that needs to be like a scream into your pillow or I do a lot of work with toning humming, but it's a way to move the energy, which you know, the breath starts in the belly and it rises all the way up and out the throat.
Speaker 3: That's our channel for release. So yeah, we.
Speaker 4: Need to find healthy ways to express our anger. It's very important. You know, it doesn't have to be once. Once you start working with anger, instead of just trying to hold it in until you erupt, there are ways to express it in a more healthy way or to feel seen and heard in a group like I do a workshops with with groups where we can feel validated and seen and heard in our chronic illness because that's so important. And yeah, I think it's like a lifetime of not listening to your body when we get into that chronic pain and chronic illness, and we're so programmed by society that we might not even know we're not listening or that we're not in truth. But disease means disase, right, so we're not in alignment with our authentic truth. We just might have been taught that it's not safe to be that person or you shouldn't be that person.
Speaker 3: But I, yeah, I really believe the body is trying to get our attention and bring us back into alignment. Yeah, a thousand percent. And there's there's this belief.
Speaker 2: That feeling angry or just anger in general is not it's like not an ethical feeling. Like everything else is kind of acceptable, but this but this feeling, when in fact, it's just as important. It's part you know, it's part of the spectrum of emotions. And when we don't like, when we don't feel it, we don't heal it, and it does go somewhere.
Speaker 3: It's it's stor to me, it's stored in the nervous system.
Speaker 2: And you know we're saying now, maybe the body doesn't keep the score exactly, however, I believe the nervous system, the nervous system does. And for those for those listening or watching who are interested, okay, like I want to feel my feelings, you know, with especially anger, Like this isn't something I'm I mean, I know, for so long I was, I was so uncomfortable with my own anger that I would say I don't experience anger.
Speaker 3: I would, I would, I would verbalize this to many people.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I don't know what anger feels like. I've never punched a pillow. Like my idea of what expressing anger was didn't exist in my repertoire until I really started doing this healing right and getting in touch with this emotion. So for for those listening, what are ways in which someone could a get in touch.
Speaker 3: With that emotion and be express it.
Speaker 2: And something I've read that I believe too, is that the that the opposite of depression is expression.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm curious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love to kind of take it back into the history of how we've.
Speaker 3: Gotten to where we've gotten.
Speaker 4: So we know that eighty percent of autoimmune cases are in women. And if we look back at our mother's generation, grandmother's great grandmothers, you know, how have we gotten here to this point where we feel so unsafe to express Well, it was, it wasn't safe.
Speaker 3: It was you were risking your life to speak up. You were risking your life to get angry when you lived.
Speaker 4: In a male dominated world where your husband could you know, send you to a hospital and give you a lobotomy if you were hysterical, which means uterus, right, So they're that trauma of speaking up as a woman lives in ourselves and so remembering that that feeling that you're feeling could go back multiple generations.
Speaker 3: So you're healing not just for you, but for many generations. And that's a big job.
Speaker 4: That's a big job, So don't expect for it to happen overnight kind of thing. Yeah, definitely, Like somatic movement, dance, breath toning, chanting. I do a lot of work with just simple vowel tones in my workshops because they give you like an acoustic inner massage and stimulate the vagus nerve and all the connective tissue going from your throat all the way down to your womb. So if they're interested, I have a couple free sound meditations on my website, Wombreclamation dot com where you can just start with a gentle.
Speaker 3: Hum and tone.
Speaker 4: But yeah, finding a place to express I know some people who go to like the shooting ranges or a bad engage too.
Speaker 3: Right, It's like there are places that you can go where, hey, everyone.
Speaker 4: Else is doing this here, so that you don't take it out on your kid or your dog or or however it comes out. Because if we don't let it out, it's just going to explode, which I've done to people.
Speaker 3: I'm human. And the more we can start to work with that anger instead of try to repress.
Speaker 4: It, the more, yeah, the easier it gets, and just honoring it.
Speaker 3: This is a big job.
Speaker 4: This is like the first time in history for a long time where it's been safe for women to express.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: It's like this is so many of us are the first generation that has the privilege, aka the safety to go there within themselves and feel like healthfully safely feel their feelings and be witnessed by someone else who's telling them guidy them, it's okay you know you're not alone in this. You're still in your power. This does not make you weaker or more vulnerable. You're not going to lose you know, your house, your estates, your your marriage, you know, like, and I'm not saying in all cases, but historically, right this was, this was the case sometimes like there was there was a real fear even being you know, we go back in time even being on the stake, like if you if you spoke up as a woman, think of the witch trials and so forth.
Speaker 3: I mean, we.
Speaker 2: Carry this, this wounding for so long, and it's important for us to look at the history, as you said, because there's there's compassion there of like, Okay, this is why, and this is also why I'm choosing to change this. This ends with me, and I feel I feel so grateful and again privileged to be able to heal this, to feel this so that the next generations don't have to go through what I went through.
Speaker 3: So there's something really beautiful in that.
Speaker 2: And I'm curious, like in your in your work, even within yourself and with others, what transformations have you seen in people's mental healths and their physical healths?
Speaker 3: Like overall, what what have you witnessed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's and really amazing to see a change in my own physiology. So, like I talked about with my story, how when I started setting boundaries, my throat opened up and my pelvis relaxed. So I've seen the physiological change within my clients of dropping into their body more, opening more when they start to speak up for themselves and speak their truth because they are becoming that protector that they needed or making, They're making space for themselves, and then the body relaxes and opens. That has definitely been the coolest thing. And then also, yeah, I mean your life can change, which we talked about. Your relationships can shift, which can be hard at first. You can lose people, but you come into more alignment with who you really are. So it's a journey that isn't for the faint of heart, but it's so worth it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I say, what's the alternative right of keeping keeping the mask on?
Speaker 3: And I know there's this fear of.
Speaker 2: Losing losing people, but are you really losing people if they aren't in alignment with you and don't don't want the best for you? In terms of you know, what is authentic? What does what does feel like? Your truth, what does feel right? And I think you'd also mentioned like your cortisol dropping too right, and I know for myself, like my h, I actually I used to have hypo hypothyroid, and I know I no longer meet criteria after doing more voice voice work and just just deep medicine work in general, but really just stepping into my my nose to give space for yeses that art that are right, that do feel right. How has your chronic illness shifted since this work?
Speaker 3: I've become a lot more aware of where I.
Speaker 4: Was making choices that exacerbated my symptoms unless I'm a victim that the symptoms are happening too. So yeah, we are often making our own symptoms worse, whether it's pain or illness, by pushing ourselves, by saying yes to things that our body can't handle.
Speaker 3: That's a deep program, right.
Speaker 4: And so my symptoms got better when I started listening to my own body, not necessarily when I did a certain protocol and started really taking authority and accountability of like, oh, I made that choice to do that thing that really set me backwards, because I was very much trying to heal fast and get back to my old life and a lot of my clients are the same, like hyperindependent masculine woman and just want to charge right through and that that did not work. And so a lot of the women that come to me are in the same boat where they've they've done it all, they've held the family together, never really thought about themselves, and now.
Speaker 3: The body is demanding it. Yeah. Yeah, so it's learning to listen.
Speaker 4: And I just wanted to add on the you know, the lowering cortisol with the voice. There's been studies shown that it scientifically lowers cortisol, lowers your heart rate, and increases oxytocin, which is a woman that's our main regulating hormone. So toning or just humming while you're doing your dishes can really bring you back into your body when we start to spin out into the head. And the power of doing it in a group with other people. If you've ever done a yoga class and everybody owns together, like there's just something so that like somatic that you can feel about the healing power of making sound together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so, It's so true. Humming is incredibly healing.
Speaker 2: There was I was reading a study someone humming to themselves and healing their I think it was like sinocitis.
Speaker 3: Makes sense. Yeah, and a vibrations coming right through here. Yeah, you can give yourself an.
Speaker 4: Internal acoustic massage so that the voice is connected to the fascia and the vagas.
Speaker 3: System all the way through your body.
Speaker 4: So you can feel the vibration and give yourself a little internal massage and it.
Speaker 3: Will bring you it'll drop you out of your head.
Speaker 4: I never was very good at meditating in silence, but I can really get into it in the chanting, in the singing. So there's a lot of different ways to meditate, and this is just one one way that we can explore our voice. And maybe if you don't feel safe enough yet to stand up to your boss, you could start singing in the.
Speaker 3: Shower, like it's a way to start activating that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great way to get into a parasympathetic rest and repair, rest and digest response aka out of fight or flight chronic stress response.
Speaker 3: Start humming, start singing, you will you will feel and sense sense of difference. Same with dance, right anything.
Speaker 2: Somatic emotions are energy and motions, so we can use we can use the voice, we use the body. It's it's fun to just simply play around with how that feels in your body, since everyone's body is different, and I think you touched on you know another important piece, which is that for our nervous system as woman, it's oxytocin.
Speaker 3: Is the magic that recently kind of came out, like within the.
Speaker 2: Last year or so, right that we learn that because there haven't been a ton of studies done on us, on us ladies for various reasons.
Speaker 4: No, so we've been doing them on our own bodies, right, like for our own journeys with chronic illness. I learned that, But it's like, yeah, that would have been nice to know and beforehand, because I was trying to do it like a man and biohack and yeah, eat all the right things and detox and it did not work.
Speaker 3: Why aren't the cold plunges working for me? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's so it's really interesting how that's been the case for so many of us on our healing journeys and what doing things in a group looks like and really popping into oxy that oxytocin very very important and even.
Speaker 4: If it's an online like I'm going to be offering another workshop series online for chronic illness. I'm huge believer in person events and I do a lot of those, but just to find your people and feel heard, even if you find someone in a different city but they have the same illness as you, that's so regulating if you're feeling really alone in your journey. And that's why I started doing what I'm doing because I just felt so isolated and alone and started creating spaces where we can come together and you have you can just sit with each other because you get it totally.
Speaker 2: You don't have to give each other subtitles. And I think too with I know in my chronic illness journey, I mean I was couch bound and bed bound, so like physically getting somewhere was a lot, and having an online community was a big aspect of my healing because I felt less isolated and comforted in knowing, hey, I'm not the only person doing this, and also adding on to that, ensuring that the people you're surrounding yourself with also have the same goal of healing of what you're also seeking. Because some of these Facebook groups I know I had to get out of because we're so solution victim spiactally exactly like I think it's important to radically accept where we are whilst also reaching for something that could look or feel feel better in that in that belief work. So it's it's really important to find the group that feels like truly in alignment, like yes, these are these are my people.
Speaker 3: We're heading in the same direction. Yeah. And I think one of the biggest shifts for me and any mpaths.
Speaker 4: Or people please are listening subconsciously, even without thinking. I was always focused on how can I support others? And this you know, journey with chronic illness for the past five or six years.
Speaker 3: I'm now who can support me?
Speaker 4: And that sounds selfish, but survival is selfish, and it's okay to go through a season where that is the focus because if you're gonna heal that that's what it has to be. Start start looking around, like who can support me? Because chronic illness will show you who your real friends are.
Speaker 3: Really clear, it sure will.
Speaker 2: And you know, to some degree, the codependence piece and people pleasing piece has a selfish element to it, and you're like, wait, how you're doing everything for everyone else? However, it's in order to create peace in your in your own life. So there's an element of control, right this person, if this person is in good graces with me.
Speaker 3: Or I'm in good graces of them, I am safe. I needs met.
Speaker 2: I'm getting my met, you know, even if it's the cost of myself, even if it's disingenuous and not authentic. So it's also interesting to to decondition and unravel that for yourself. If that's a journey that you're on, it's very it's a very interesting one, and I think I'll be on it for a lifetime for sure.
Speaker 4: It's I totally agree with that. Yeah, there's definitely a selfish aspect to codependentcy Like what No, It's like, hey, it's okay to have a selfish aspect to yourself and to have an angry aspect and a jealous like you have to go into the darkness and learn to love it exactly.
Speaker 2: We are mosaic pieces, and the colors that you adore put on a pedestal, are you know, are that way because of the other colors, Like they're all it's all interwoven, intertwined, they all give they all give color and brilliance to one another.
Speaker 3: So tell us a loan.
Speaker 2: How can people like, how do you how are you working with people right now, one on one in group settings and how can people find you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can can.
Speaker 4: Find me at Wombreclamation dot com. It's about reclaiming your feminine power. The womb in the throat are so connected, which I teach about. So the services I offer are chronic pain and somatic coaching, as well as voice coaching and womb healing, which is a whole other mystery that we haven't gotten into today, but as a as a woman, it's been really empowering and very much connects to the voice work. So yeah, you can find me on wombreclamation dot com. I have lots of events and workshops both online and in person, and follow along on Instagram and Facebook at womb Reclamation.
Speaker 2: And are you going to be offering another voice container or series.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I will definitely be doing My next chronic illness series will be online, so that's great for anyone anywhere. That's going to come up in August, So you can reach out to me if you're interested, and we meet once a week for two hours and we talk about chronic illness and everything we're talking about today, setting boundaries and it's just a space to share and be with other people that are going through what you're going through, which is so important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it. Well, thank you for the powerful work that you do. And if you can leave everyone with just one thing today, what would that be? M.
Speaker 3: I think it would be it is safe for you to express yourself and you are the creator.
Speaker 4: MM and so really tuning into it's safe for me to be myself.
Speaker 1: HM.
Speaker 3: Love that, love that. Thank you, Thank you so much for having me Christina.
Speaker 2: Yes, chat you agreed, and yeah, everyone go check out Alana's work whenever you have a chance.
Speaker 3: Setting everyone listening or walk change so much, love, so much healing. Thank you for tuning. Take care, Bye bye