Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Welcome to The Pathway Chili for our next series of episodes. Per usual, Ashley is still off for a little while, so Jules and I will be discussing a case where I share all the details and she will give off her live reactions. So, Jules, are you familiar with the murder of Holly Staker?
Speaker 1: No, I don't think I've ever heard of this case.
Speaker 2: Well, this is a wrongful conviction case about a man named Juan Rivera who was unjustly incarcerated for her murder, so it's technically still unsolved. This is the one I've talked about a lot. I covered it on The Trail Went Cold many years ago. I also did a cross-promotional episode with Aaron from Generation Y in which we discussed the case. And I wanted to do it now because just a couple weeks after we record this, I will be appearing at AdvocacyCon in Albuquerque, New Mexico and doing a presentation on wrongful convictions with Justin from Generation Y, and I'm going to talk about this case. And This is one of the most egregious wrongful convictions you're ever going to see, so I want to discuss it with you and see your live reaction, because I can guarantee there are some moments here that will absolutely disgust you.
Speaker 1: I love a wrongful conviction case because it points out all of the issues with the system, especially when it comes to somebody of a lower socioeconomic status, if it's a person of color. then we see that the system seems to be rigged against certain people. And it also points out the damage that it can do to multiple families when law enforcement has tunnel vision and they get the wrong person. The victim's death isn't punished and you have the wrong person behind bars, so there's the familial ramifications that that causes. And it is a ripple effect. And it's not just those two families that are affected. There's a potential that the offender could then again re-offend and could hurt somebody else's child. So it is just such a complex topic. And I know we always love when Ashley weighs in on this because she's so great with wrongful convictions. So I will try to do it justice.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like this is pretty much an example of when the system went horribly wrong. Like everything you just talked about happens in this case where they put an innocent person in prison. and they pretty much harmed the family, and then you get evidence that the real killer may have harmed someone else while the wrong person was in jail. It's just an example where even after it seemed obvious that authorities got the wrong person, they refused to admit that they made a mistake and just kept keeping this going on for years and years and causing a lot of trauma for a lot of people. So the case takes place in 1992 in Waukegan, Illinois, and the victim is 11-year-old Holly Staker. And on the evening of August the 17th, she babysat the two children of one of her neighbors, Don Engelbrecht. The children were Don's 5-year-old son, Blake, and her 2-year-old daughter, Taylor. So they lived at a two-flat apartment house, and Holly was there for a couple hours. But when nightfall hit, Blake decided to go outside to play for a little while. But a short time later, he approached one of his neighbors to claim that when he tried to go back inside the house, the front door was locked, and even though he repeatedly knocked on it, no one answered. So the neighbor took Blake to the nearby tavern where Dawn was working her shift and explained the situation, and when Dawn attempted to call her house to speak with Holly, there was no answer, so she immediately became concerned and asked Holly's mother to meet her, at the house. And when they went inside, they did find Taylor, the two-year-old, but there did not appear to be any sign of Holly. And the back door appeared to be kicked in, so there were signs that there was an intruder there. And so they notified the police, and after they arrived, they went inside the children's bedroom and discovered that Holly had been murdered. Her body was partially clothed, and it turned out she'd been sexually assaulted, strangled, and stabbed 27 times.
Speaker 1: Wow, there's so much here. Firstly, what a symptom of the 1990s to have a five-year-old playing unattended outside. That's not something you're going to see happen if somebody's being babysat today. The fact that Holly is only 11, she's watching these children, and to think that there was somebody who was either aware that the parents were going to be away or out, or that they'd been watching the house... Because it seems unlikely that this is just some random crime of opportunity that somebody wasn't laying in wait for a moment where Holly would be alone and vulnerable. Because while the parents were there, nothing like this happened. But when she's alone, during this small window of time, she's attacked. And it's almost like this offender is emboldened enough to believe that these people aren't coming back right away. So that would lead me down the road that they must have been watching. Because if you were going to attack a young girl who's 11, the chances are good if you think that she lives there and you're not assuming she's the babysitter, that the parents could be home at any minute. So it's almost like this person knew this window of time that they had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is one of the big unanswered questions of this case. Was Holly specifically targeted? Did the offender know that she was going to be there alone babysitting? because it's not often that someone is just going to break into a stranger's house and kill the babysitter without knowing ahead of time that she's going to be there. But one of the weirdest details of this case that I don't think gets talked about enough is that when Dawn looked around, she did not think that anything was missing, so it did not appear that this was a botched robbery, but she did notice that a photograph inside a frame that she normally kept on her mantle had been stolen. And I think that's bizarre. It makes me wonder, was someone, like, targeting the Engelbrechts? Maybe they were going after Dawn and were attempting to kill her, but when they came inside, they did not expect her to not be home, and when they saw Holly there, they decided to take out their rage and kill her instead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess it could go either way. It could be somebody who were targeting the Engelbrechts, or you have Holly, who... is 11 years old and potentially there was somebody who knew that she would be babysitting, knew that she would be alone for a certain amount of time. Because I feel like if you're targeting the Engelbrecht to do it at that time of the day and to come in the home, wouldn't you have at least been watching a little bit first? So it sort of leads me to believe that Holly was the intended target. But the one question mark for me is the photo.
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Was it because there was some element of recognition? Was it a trophy? Why? I don't understand that angle of it, if it was indeed targeted at Holly.
Speaker 2: And they haven't specifically said who was in the photograph, if it was Dawn or the entire family or the children, but I haven't heard anything about the Engelbrechts having any known enemies, like anyone that Dawn had a personal grudge with at the time who might have been compelled to break into her residence and kill her. But at the same time, I don't think it's a coincidence that they decided to go in there when Blake, the five-year-old, was playing outside. And they seemed to have the wherewithal to lock the front door while he was out there to ensure that he didn't get back in there. And I guess this person might have think that, yes, the two-year-old girl is probably not going to put up any resistance, but perhaps the little boy might. So that's why I'm going to come in when he just happens to be playing outside.
Speaker 1: Question. Okay, so... It said that her body was found in like the children's rooms and it didn't say specifically, but could this potentially have been done in front of the two-year-old?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's going to be a big point that comes up because many years later, the two-year-old is going to be asked to testify as a witness. So she was definitely in the house when it happened, but it's unclear what exactly she saw, if she saw the murder or if she saw the killer's face. Because years later, she's going to say that she did, but obviously a two-year-old is not going to know for certain unless someone is coaching them. So they found a broken knife in a nearby yard, and they initially suspected it was the murder weapon, but I'll be getting back to that point later on. And the crime went unsolved for a month and a half, but on September the 29th, the police received a tip from a man named Ed Martin, who had been an inmate at the Lake County Jail, who claimed he had recently spoken with another inmate there named Juan Rivera, who was a 19-year-old from Puerto Rico who was currently incarcerated for stealing a car stereo. apparently Juan had told him that on the night of Holly Staker's murder, he was at a party at a house that was located near the Engelbrecht's residence and might have seen the killer. So the police brought in Juan for questioning, and he confirmed that, yes, he went to this party and he shared this story with Ed Martin, and he said that he had seen a man come and go from the party on multiple occasions, and the last time he saw him, he looked sweaty and out of breath and appeared to have a fresh scratch on him. Well, when investigators looked into this lead, they discovered that no party had actually taken place at this house on this particular evening, so it seemed apparent that Juan was lying. And this is a big unanswered question in the case, because we're obviously going to find out that Juan was innocent and had nothing to do with this crime, but just for whatever reason decided to flat out make up this story about the party and the sweaty man, but he was also a guy with a 9th grade education and an IQ of 79, and he had a history of mental illness, depression, and even some prior suicide attempts, so maybe he's just someone with a mindset where he hears about a murder and will make up stories about it for just no reason, because that's just how his mind functions.
Speaker 1: That's possible, but it's also possible he felt like the blame could be put on him for one reason or another, and so in order to deflect blame, he conjured up this story about this man who was sweaty with a scratch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. I mean, there was no known connection between the Rivera family and the Engelbrecht family, and as far as anyone could tell, he did not know Holly, but maybe he just felt, well, there's an unsolved murder that took place near where I live, so people are going to accuse me, so I'm just going to make up this story, but unfortunately it wound up backfiring on him in a huge way. So as you may have already guessed, because of his low IQ and his mental health issues, that he would be susceptible to interrogations, So on October the 27th, Juan was brought in for questioning again, and over the course of the next four days, he would be relentlessly interrogated without the presence of an attorney. He was interrogated for a total of 36 hours over the course of four days, and his final interrogation lasted 26 straight hours without any sleep, or without him being able to contact attorneys or family members. He was given two polygraph tests, but the results were inconclusive, but he eventually reached the point where he admitted that yes, He had lied about being at the party, but he had nothing to do with Holly Staker's murder. But after the 26-hour interrogation session shortly before midnight on October the 30th, he finally broke down and confessed that he was responsible for Holly's murder. But as I'm sure you probably guessed, there's going to be problems with this confession.
Speaker 1: I mean, who wouldn't at that point in time? Because what is real and what is fake? You don't know which way is up and which way is down. When you've been deprived of sleep, potentially deprived of, I don't know, if he was deprived of food and water and bathroom breaks, but one can only assume. And I feel like a 26 hour interrogation is something that would, I feel like it would violate the Geneva convention. Don't you think?
Speaker 2: I think it is technically legal because I have seen, uh, issue, uh, like other cases like this where people are interrogated for like one or two days straight without any sleep, without any break. And, uh, I guess it's a matter of whether they informed him of his rights ahead of time and said that, yes, we haven't charged you with anything yet, so you can technically walk out right now or you can get a lawyer. But the issue with people like Rivera, who have IQs of like 79, is that they just do not understand their rights and pretty much figure, well, since I'm in here with the police, I can't do anything to defend myself. And then they just sit there and eventually break down and confess.
Speaker 1: And in 1992, who really understood their rights with regards to the police and interrogation? and when it would be acceptable to get up and leave. I think his IQ aside, I think you would get most people in a similar situation, and unless they were very wealthy, with access to attorneys who had given them the instructions that if this situation were to ever arise, you say, I want my attorney, and you stop the interrogation. That's common knowledge today, but not in 1992.
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely not in 92, because there wasn't as much awareness about wrongful convictions and false confessions back then, and Juan probably, he definitely was not from a rich family, so he figured that, well, I didn't actually commit the crime, so even if I confess, they will be able to, like, look back and find out that I wasn't the real killer, and then I will be free. But unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. So this is where it starts getting really problematic, because after he made his original confession, he was left alone in the interrogation room while the detectives started typing out a statement for him to sign, but then he started banging his head on the wall repeatedly before falling to the floor and curling up into a fetal position. He was then transferred to a padded cell to be treated by the jail's medical personnel, but during this time, a nurse witnessed him pacing back and forth, banging his head on the padded wall and pulling out clumps of hair, and rambling incoherently. So after this, they put him in shackles, and the nurse concluded that he was likely having a psychotic episode and had lost all touch with reality. But in spite of this, the detectives still brought the statement they prepared to Juan, and within hours of his initial breakdown, they had him sign it, even though he was clearly not in his right state of mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's very clear that law enforcement took advantage of his diminished mental capacity. And then they contributed to that further by depriving him of basic human rights, which would be sleep. And I don't know if he was deprived of other things, but I think the fact that they interrogated him for 26 hours straight speaks volumes to the way that he was treated. So anything that anybody signs at that point, I think, would not be reliable and should not stand up in court.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and what happened right after this is that the police brought his signed statement to the state's attorney's office, and there was concern because it had a number of inconsistencies, and he provided a number of details which did not match the facts of the crime. So most decent attorneys would say that, no, you have to find additional evidence besides this confession, or maybe you've got the wrong guy. But his mindset was, no, change the statement and make sure it starts fitting the facts of the crime, and then get him to sign it again. So he was re-interviewed, even though at this point he had not slept for over 24 hours, and he was also convinced to sign a rights waiver and change several details from his original statement, and when the detectives were satisfied that the statement was accurate and a closer fit to the real details of the crime, he signed it again, and shortly thereafter he was formally charged with first-degree murder.
Speaker 1: This is just so unfortunate because it's so easy for us to play Monday morning quarterback from a much different position with a greater understanding and just depth and breadth of knowledge about wrongful convictions, tunnel vision, false confessions, all of these things that were potentially starting to become a topic of conversation in the 90s, but not to the degree. We've seen the fallout in... you know, the 2010s to now, basically, where so many people were freed because of false confessions and because of evidence that came to light, and a lot of times because of faulty forensics, or we see a lot of cases where this pattern fits, and we see plenty of cases where there's still people languishing behind bars that are clearly not responsible for the crimes, like Tommy Ziegler is one that always comes to mind because it's Robin's pet case, but Florida likes to hold on tight to those people and doesn't seem to like to admit any wrongdoing or open themselves up to the financial ramifications of putting the wrong person behind bars because it could cost them millions of dollars. So we're seeing all of these red flags here and it's making me upset, but it is pretty much par for the course. We've seen it a million times.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and this took place near Chicago in Illinois, and I know that Chicago had an extensive history of corruption prior to this, prior to 1992, a lot of wrongful convictions based on false confessions. So this was pretty much par for the course, and I like to think that there's been a reduction to this, because I think that people in law enforcement now feel that we've seen so many wrongful convictions get all this exposure and cause a lot of backlash. So I'm hoping now that they're realizing, hmm, we better not try to get a false confession, and if we do, at least find other corroborating evidence, because if there's anything questionable about the conviction, then obviously it's going to come back to haunt us. And with Juan Rivera's case, there's just so many red flags spread about where it's like you see so many traits that have come forth again and again in wrongful conviction cases. But back in 1992, they had like decades of getting away with this and sending people to prison. So I'm sure they figured, well, we don't have any other evidence besides this questionable confession, but it's still going to work for us. So this was one of those confessions where Juan did not provide any details about the crime that were not public knowledge to show that he had been there, and there were points where police were happy to feed him details in order to fix some of his inaccuracies. Just as an example, Juan had initially stated that Holly was wearing a nightgown when he killed her, even though she was found wearing black stretch pants and a multicolored shirt. And when the detectives were helping Juan revise his statement, they'd say things like, she had a multicolored shirt on, right? So there they are, feeding him details which are not public knowledge, which you should withhold just to make sure that the confession is legitimate. And then he would agree to the changes, and then they would fix them in the statement before he signed it. And another big hole is that he initially claimed that the boy, Blake, was inside the apartment when he committed the murder, even though Blake was playing outside at the time and did not return home after the killer was gone. And even though Holly had been strangled, Juan never made one mention of this during the course of his interrogations because that was one of the details they withheld from the public, and not once during, like, all these hours of interrogation did he volunteer that information.
Speaker 1: It's so wild to me. All of these inconsistencies, things that would be holdback information because of guilt knowledge, the quote-unquote real killer that you guys have here and you're about to throw behind bars, he doesn't know these things. So my question that I always have in these cases is, did law enforcement know that he wasn't the guy and they're still trying to fit a square peg in a round hole because, like we always talk about, juking the stats. When you have a killer of an 11-year-old girl who was babysitting a 5-year-old and a 2-year-old, you have a community who is terrified. So what do you want to do? Is you want to serve up that killer on a silver platter and you want to say, you have no reason to fear. because they're going to be getting pressure from politicians, from the mayor, from the police commissioner, from all of these people. So did you know that he was the wrong guy? Or did you believe that he was the right guy and he just wasn't very smart so he didn't have the details or he didn't remember accurately and that's why you're feeding him the information? Because to me, intent, when it comes to the way that they proceeded, matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I have seen other cases where after they charge the suspect, they do everything in their power not to... admit that they were wrong and keep them in prison no matter what. But you get the sense that, at the outset at least, they initially believed that they got the right guy. But I'm not entirely sure that's the case here. I think it's the situation you described where there was so much pressure... from the community to solve this case, and they probably didn't have any solid leads, but then they're told, hey, there's a guy who's in jail for another crime who supposedly made these incriminating statements and lied about being at a party that night. He must be the guy, and then they're just going to interrogate him and interrogate him until he finally tells them what they want to hear. But of course, the big issue with the confession is that they could not find any other corroborating evidence to prove that he did it, because he willingly provided samples of his blood and hair to investigators, but they did not match any of the physical evidence from the murder scene, and they could not find any of Juan's fingerprints in the house. This was 1992, and DNA testing was still in its infancy, so they didn't use it at this point, though they would use it later. And not only that, but Juan's father and his girlfriend provided him with an alibi and confirmed he was home the entire evening. Now, obviously, if it's the defendant's family, then you have to take the alibi with a grain of salt, but on that particular night, Juan's mother was visiting a relative in Puerto Rico and called the residence and claimed that she spoke to Juan on the phone for about 20 minutes, and they checked phone records and confirmed that, yes, a call from Puerto Rico did go into the house on that particular night.
Speaker 1: It's just not adding up with Juan. Like, it would be so convenient if he were the guy. You've got somebody who's clearly already got a criminal record and he's in prison and he's making up this story. And then there's this false confession or they probably aren't saying it's a false confession. They're probably saying he confessed, he broke. And maybe they truly believe that that happened. But everything that we're seeing is showing us that this isn't the guy. But that is an inconvenient truth, right? Because if Juan's not the guy, then who is the guy? You've got no evidence to support any other perpetrator that we know of because you focused your energies on Juan. So even if there were other leads or other potential suspects, you poured all of your energy into Juan and him being the guy. And so that gives the potential perpetrator time to regroup, recalibrate, and reoffend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, I think at that point they just had no other suspects, but I imagine putting myself into the shoes of a real killer, and you find out that someone has been arrested for your crime, you're just going to think to themselves, wow, this was so easy to get away with it, it's pretty much open season, I can probably go harm someone else, because I know that the police are no longer looking for me. So the next part I'm going to share is absolutely ridiculous, and this is the point when they should have decided, this is the wrong guy, we should drop the charges right now and start over. So I mentioned that Juan was in jail because he had been arrested for stealing a car stereo, and he initially was given probation, but because he wound up violating the probation, he was sent back to jail, and that's where he made those incriminating statements. But before this happened, one of the conditions of his probation was that he had to wear an electronic ankle monitor and was sentenced to home confinement. And guess what? They checked electronic monitoring system records, and they showed that this ankle monitor was was home the entire night of August the 17th when Holly's murder took place. So obviously, even though Juan had lied about attending a party that night, here was convincing evidence to show that he was at home the entire time and wasn't anywhere near the residence where Holly was killed. But he actually, like, questioned Juan about this, and he initially claimed that he had unplugged his ankle monitor, took it off, then went to the Engelbrecht's apartment to kill Holly, and then came back and put it back on before anyone noticed, but that's not how ankle monitors work. They're designed so that they will alert the police if you try to take them off or you sabotage them, so then the police change their tune and says, oh, it must have malfunctioned that night, and then he took it off and put it back on, and it started working again before anyone noticed.
Speaker 1: Okay, so like just for convenience sake, the one night that he decides to do that, it's a malfunction. It's like when cameras conveniently don't work. But my mind went to exactly what you said. I was literally going to say, that's not how ankle monitors work. It's not like you put it on a criminal and then they've got the ability to unplug it and plug it back in as they see fit. That would completely defeat the whole purpose of being able to track somebody 24 hours a day. seven days a week. There's no time off so you can just unplug it. It's not like this leisure time you get. And we also know that Juan has an IQ of 79. So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Juan's not a tech genius, and I just don't see him being able to circumvent the functionality of an ankle monitor. And it feels like law enforcement jumped in here and was like, okay, we need to come up with a plan for why this isn't good evidence. Okay, it just, it malfunctioned and he went off and, you know, committed this murder and then came back. And it's like, again, you're now just trying to make this evidence, which should be pretty rock solid, that he could not have been in two places at once. The ankle monitor that is supposedly malfunctioning is saying that he's at home. So is it not working? Because if it's really malfunctioning, wouldn't we just see it not work or not track Juan? But again, it's saying he's there. So I'm just confused with this explanation, and I think they're confused with how to exactly make this fit into their story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like a thing where we charge him with the crime after making the confession, but we don't do our research to make sure that this case will stand up. And once they realize, oh, he was wearing an ankle monitor that evening, and records show that he was at home the entire night, how are we going to make this fit our narrative? And I'm sure there are documented cases of criminals who've been able to circumvent these things and take them off without sending an alert to the police, but like you said, Juan has an IQ of 79, so I don't think he's going to be able to do something that sophisticated without setting the ankle monitor off. So before Juan's trial was going to take place, his defense team were surprised to be informed by the prosecution that there might be physical evidence against him after all. because shortly after he was sent to the Lake County Jail for his probation violation, a wand had apparently traded a pair of his sneakers to another inmate in exchange for a TV set, and the inmate later turned the shoes over to the police, and they discovered that there was blood on them, which the authorities were convinced belonged to Holly. So this seemed like pretty incriminating evidence, but the defense conducted their own investigation and discovered that, yes, the shoes did belong to Juan, but they were not actually purchased until weeks after Holly's murder took place. They got a defense investigator to get a record to show that Juan's mother had purchased the sneakers from a Walmart and given them to them. And not only that, but this particular brand of sneakers was manufactured in Hong Kong and was not even available for sale in the United States at the time of Holly's murder. At that particular point, they would have been in a warehouse in California awaiting delivery to regional distribution centers. where they would be sold in stores, so they're thinking to themselves, okay, how come this blood from Holly conveniently got on these sneakers, when now we know it would have been physically impossible to want a wand to wear these sneakers on the night of the crime, since he did not even own them yet?
Speaker 1: It feels like every piece of their case is falling apart right now, and it's egregious to think that they would continue to persevere. I guess this is just what the definition of tunnel vision is. Either they are so steadfast in their conviction that he did it that they are willing to overlook evidence like the ankle monitor, like the sneakers, that he could not have worn them. It's not like there was online shopping in 1992, right? It wasn't like you were going to order these sneakers from Asia where they were maybe available and you could have received them earlier than you would have in the United States. If they weren't available in the United States at that point in time, then you weren't wearing them, unless you had gone overseas, flown, and purchased them there, and then brought them back, which I do not believe was the case with Juan, because of his socioeconomic status. This was not a rich individual, and to be flying overseas would have been a more expensive endeavor in 1992.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he was also on probation wearing an ankle monitor, so he's obviously not flying overseas to Hong Kong in order to purchase shoes. So when the defense team said that they were going to call it imported to testify that these sneakers would not have been available for purchase at the time of the murder, lo and behold, the prosecution decides, oh, you know what, we're not going to introduce these sneakers as evidence in the trial after all. And at the time, there was an assumption that, okay, maybe this blood on there was for a completely unrelated reason. But then many years later, they did some DNA testing on the blood and found out that it belonged to Holly Staker. And of course, obviously, Juan was not wearing these sneakers. when he killed her So the only way that Holly's blood could have wound up on the sneakers is if someone planted it there. So this is getting into a case where it's not just like an innocent wrongful conviction where they got the wrong guy but believe they were right. This shows that someone is planting evidence to try to frame an innocent man. And let's just say that Juan was incredibly lucky that they were able to find records that he did not purchase those sneakers until after the murder. Because otherwise, if he had purchased them beforehand and they found Holly's blood on there, how could they prove that it was planted?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he got very lucky. We probably wouldn't be talking about his wrongful conviction if they had been available in the US at that time period and Holly's blood was found on them. It would be really, really difficult for Juan to walk his way out of that one. even though there's evidence to the contrary, such as the ankle monitor evidence, which makes it look as though Juan could not have been there, and also the confession, where he wasn't able to accurately recall what Holly was wearing, or even bring up the method by which he supposedly decided to murder her, which would have been strangulation. So, I'm just so thankful that in a case where we have a wrongful conviction and so many things are overlooked, that there seems to be a little bit of luck on Juan's side with regards to just this small timeline of a few months, like these sneakers were not available, so he couldn't have had Holly's blood on these sneakers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and unfortunately, after all these years, it would be impossible to prove who planted the blood, but obviously the fact that there's no way these sneakers were anywhere near the crime scene shows that someone in law enforcement did that, and that they obviously knew that they were incarcerating an innocent man and had to fabricate new evidence by any means possible.
Speaker 1: Or do you think that it could have been the real killer, and the real killer could have potentially actually worn the sneakers, and then planted them after the fact?
Speaker 2: Probably not, because they were able to establish that they were in a warehouse in California on the night of the murder, so I don't think the real killer could have had access to them at that time.
Speaker 1: Okay, that definitely makes it an impossibility.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. So Juan finally went on trial over a year later in November of 1993, and of course, other than his confession, there was no other real evidence against him, so the prosecution had to introduce another questionable tactic, and that was a jailhouse informant, which you often find are done out of desperation when the evidence is not that strong. One of them was a guy named Frank McDonald, who claimed that while he was serving time in Thloit County Jail on the burglary charge for stealing the car stereo, Juan had made some incriminating statements that he was responsible for Holly's murder. But of course, it turned out that McDonald was questioned by investigators shortly after Juan's arrest and initially said something like this, but then three days later, he approached investigators again and said that, oh, by the way, I did hear Juan confess, and can you help me with the sentence that I'm currently serving right now? And they found evidence that McDonald had attempted to sell information about Juan's so-called confession to a reporter from the Chicago Tribune, before he even approached the police, so obviously he was a very questionable witness. But this is 1993, and of course the general public isn't going to have as much knowledge about false confessions and jailhouse informants, so they believe that this was enough evidence to find Juan guilty, and he was sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.
Speaker 1: Given the evidence that they have, and just everything related to this case, I feel like so much has to come down to the jury at the time in 1992, believing that why would you confess to something that you didn't commit? Because I think it's easy to almost like disregard everything else. And it's like, if this person themselves is saying that they indeed are guilty of the murder of Holly, then we should believe him. Because the sentiment about false confessions just wasn't out there with the public at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Like, there's so many wrongful convictions where I look at them from today's perspective, and I ask myself, how could the jury have believed this scenario? How could they find the defendant guilty? But then I'm thinking, back in 1993, I didn't have knowledge about false confessions or any of this stuff. So if I was on the jury, I might have believed it too. Because back then, people just couldn't grasp the concept that you would confess to a crime that you did not commit if you were completely innocent.
Speaker 1: I remember, I believe it was like on an episode of Forensic Files or something. It could have been like City Confidential. I remember one of those early true crime shows, watching it, and this probably would have been when I was a teenager in the late 90s, and thinking, why would somebody say that they committed a crime that they didn't? And believing that if somebody confessed to something, that they had to have indeed done that thing. And of course, my perspective changed when I had access to more information, but I do think that that would have been a really popular sentiment at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I seem to believe that my perspective on this changed from a case featured on Unsolved Mysteries about a guy named Johnny Lee Wilson who was wrongly convicted for making a false confession because much like Juan, he had a low IQ, he had a number of developmental disabilities. And the police took him into the station and says, if you just tell us you did it, we'll let you go home. And he had the mindset to believe it. I believe we did a couple episodes about this case like a couple years ago. And this was a real eye-opening one for me because I would have been in my teens when I saw it on TV. And I realized, oh, now I can see why people can be manipulated into confessing to crimes they did not commit. So Awan's defense team did appeal his conviction, and because the trial was filled with a number of procedural errors, the Illinois Appellate Court decided to overturn the conviction, and Awan was granted a second trial in 1998. So once again, the prime evidence against him was his own confession, but the original jailhouse informant Frank McDonald was unavailable to testify at the retrial, but the prosecution was allowed to read his transcribed statements to the jury, and lo and behold, they produced another jailhouse informant named David Crespo. So after Juan's conviction was overturned, he had been transferred to the Lake County Jail to await trial and became friends with Crespo, and claimed that after they took a Spanish Bible class together, he overheard Juan say that he had quote-unquote killed that little girl. But it would later turn out that Crespo was released from jail a short time later, and because he had become friends with Juan, his family generously decided to take him into their home. But he started using drugs, so Juan's family kicked them out, and then lo and behold, he got arrested again and was facing sentencing on a parole violation, and that's when he came forward with this story about having heard Juan confess to the crime. But put yourself in Juan's shoes. You've just had your conviction overturned. You're being sent to a jail to await a second trial. Are you really going to make incriminating statements to another inmate and claim that you committed the crime when this is your chance to get out of prison?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I truly don't think so. But I think when we look at jailhouse snitches or jailhouse confessions, we have to question what is the individual who's coming forward with this information getting from this? Are they receiving special privileges? Are they getting visits with family? Are they getting transferred to another unit, something more comfortable, less security? If they are receiving absolutely nothing for their testimony, then I would be much more inclined to believe it to be genuine, but I too, same as you, would call out the timing here. Juan is about to get what he wants, which is to potentially get out of prison, at least to have the evidence looked at again under a different light. When time has passed and perspective is had, And the understanding is a lot deeper on things like false confessions. So would he truly be out there talking about how he did it? I don't think so, even with an IQ of 79.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it makes no sense whatsoever. And it just seems convenient to me that after Juan's family took Crespo in and he got kicked out for the house for using drugs and was potentially being sent back to jail for a parole violation, that's when he comes forward with this story. So like you said, it's the ultimate example where you have to see what a jailhouse informant is getting in return before you take their story seriously. But the other big piece of new evidence presented at this trial was testimony from Don Engelbrecht's daughter, Taylor. who was only two years old when Holly's murder took place, but was now eight years old, and she got on the stand to testify that she personally witnessed Holly's murder, and she was killed by a male who dragged her body into the bedroom, and she positively identified Juan as the assailant. But, yeah, you're putting your hands over your face right now, so I can understand your skepticism here, but yes, we just talked about this. This is a two-year-old, and while I do believe there's a good chance she witnessed the murder, I don't know how she could accurately recollect it in her memory after all these years, so it seemed pretty obvious here that she had been coached and told that, yeah, we are putting this Polly's killer back in prison, so get on the stand and identify this guy as the man you saw.
Speaker 1: We already have an issue with eyewitness identification with adults. And when we think of memories... And we think of our earliest memories. Most of us are going to recollect things from when we're three, maybe four years old, and they'll be fragmented. And we probably won't be able to tell how much of it is accurate or how much of it is true. Just what our young brains and our perspective took in at the time. And so to think that... you're going to have a memory from two years old that didn't come out through hypnosis with a psychologist who's trained would have me questioning this. I just, I've never heard of two people having memories from when they're two years old that just come out and so accurate that they're able to identify the perpetrator. And because she was questioned and because law enforcement probably spent a certain amount of time around her, I wonder if some of these details were fed to her. And then she genuinely believes that these are true memories because it is very easy to influence children. And at this point, she's only eight years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So, I'm sure she was convinced she was right, that she had seen this guy, but I'm sure you could say the same thing, that you don't remember a thing that happened when you were two years old, that sometimes I'm shown photographs of my parents of an event I was at when I was two, and I have no recollection of it whatsoever, so I seriously doubt that if I witnessed a murder at the age of two, that I would be able to recollect the perpetrator's face, and then remember it, like, six years after the fact. So that about brings an end to part one of our series about the murder of Holly Staker and the wrongful conviction of Juan Rivera. Join us again next week as we continue talking about this in part two.
Speaker 3: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 2: Yes, the Trail Went Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer the standard... bonus features like early ad-free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon. If you join our $ 5 tier, Tier 2, we also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon. And if you join our highest tier, tier three, the $ 10 tier, one of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart-ass remarks about Jewel Kaler, then be sure to join Tier 3.
Speaker 3: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jewels and Ashley Patreon. So there's early ad-free episodes of The Path Went Chilly. We've got our Path Went Chilly minis, which are always over an hour. So they're not very mini, but they're just too short to turn into a series. And we're really enjoying doing those. So We hope you'll check out those Patreons. We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 2: So I want to thank you all for listening. And any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or to rate and review is greatly appreciated. You can email us at thepathwentchili at gmail.com. You can reach us on Twitter at thepathwent. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chilly paths call for warm clothing.
Speaker 3: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy.