Speaker 1: Welcome to the Big Blue and sider Dicabrielle with you on a Wednesday tournament a week some teams have already entered the tournament brackets, and of course we'll find out this weekend where the Wildcats land in the NSA big show. But of course they've gone to Nashville intent on winning the SEC tournament. Mark Pope made that perfectly clear before the Wildcats left. We'll have it for you right here tomorrow night, nine thirty ish tip off, but our coverage begins for real at seven o'clock. The casts our boys get started at an eight o'clock. It's network coverage with Cameron and Dave and then Tom and Jack will have the call. Probably be a little bit of philled, but you know how these tournaments go. Somebody could get into overtime and some of these games take forever. But it is going to be an interesting, interesting week for the Wildcats. We'll see just how well Kentucky place in its first SEC tournament under Mark Pope. It has been literally a season for the record books thanks to all those quad one wins, but just also because of the way this season has unfolded with Polpe being hired and the injection of enthusiasm into the program, the big wins, the puzzling losses. It just been a lot of fun. It really has been, you know. And by the way, last night, I watched a little bit of the Gonzaga Saint Mary's game before I nodded off. Gonzaga wins again the West Coast Conference Tournament championship, and when it did it. By doing so, it avenged two regular season losses to Saint Mary's and the Gales had beaten Gonzaga twice. And then Gonzaga turns it around last night fifty eight fifty one. It was an ugly game. I watched like the first half of the first half, and I was surprised at how ugly a game it was. But this is what Gonzaga does. And you can knock the WCC, the West Coast Conference, and I will not the strongest, but Saint Mary's has a good program. That's a good team obviously, But man, and the Gales, by the way, beat Gonzaga last year in the title game. It ended Gonzaga has run a four straight conference championships, ten of eleven and it's an amazing stat when you look at mark few in that tournament fifty three and six through his career in that tournament fifty three and six, and of course Gonzaga. Every time Gonzaga wins a game, it helps Kentucky, whether it's RPI and whatever. So Gonzaga once again coming in won't win the national title, but coming in after beating Saint Mary's late last night. Speaking of Kentucky's chances, bet MGM has released some of the odds, and of course Auburn is the favorite at plus three twenty five, meaning a bet one hundred dollars you win three twenty five if Auburn wins the title. Duke is next, of course, at three point fifty. Duke now the top ranked team in the country after Alabama's went over Auburn, then Florida at six hundred, Houston at eight hundred, Alabama is at twelve hundred, Tennessee is at fifteen hundred. Tennessee is a sixth betting choice, which seems a little high to me, but a lot of people still like those balls. Then you'd get quite a jump to Michigan State at twenty two hundred. Saint John's and Iowa State are at twenty five hundred. Bet one hundred, and if either one of those teams wins it all, you win twenty five hundred bucks. Where are your Wildcats? Their next thirty five hundred bet? One hundred win thirty five hundred. If Kentucky wins it all, if you truly believe in those cats, hey, you could win some bucks. If they take it, then it's Texas Tech, Kansas, Arizona, Gonzaga and Maryland. When the season began, would you have believe that Kansas, at least in terms of betting odds, would be a longer shot than Kentucky. Be honest, no, of course not. But that's the way the season is unfolded for the Wildcats. But you have also thought Saint John's would have been a better bet than Kentucky. Well maybe because of Beatino, But it's just been that kind of year. That's why it's fun, and that's what it's all about. It's all about the fun. There's a lot going on. Girls Sweet sixteen underway today as we pre record. Can't give you any scores, but I have been in Rapperina all day long and we'll be going back tonight. Thanks to the miracle of digital technology and having this conversation with you while I'm working that event. But yeah, that's it's that time of year. The boy Sweet sixteen is next week, so it's a lot of fun this time of year, no question. Baseball Wildcats had fun last night. They beat Nordernillan. That was the game they added when they lost to Weather lost the game to EKU, so they added nord In Illinois the last minute and beat the Huskies nine to two. It was at nine to any game because they couldn't get that ten run rule thing happening. But multi hit games for Sean Montoya, Luke Lawrence, who else got one. Devin Burks had a double at a couple of runs batted in among his two base hits. There was only one home run that was hit by Northern Illinois, but the Kentucky's Nick Misgione was able to try it out. Six different pitchers got some work out of the bullpen. Starter with Nate Harris goes five innings, gives up one in and run, struck out two, and then five relievers came on and got some work, which is vital going into Southeastern Conference play. The Wildcats open up Friday night at six point thirty against Georgia SEC play begins. Georgia's got a good team, But then again, you're talking about the SEC, and you know, when you're talking SEC, you're talking the best league in the country, as you well know. And the Bulldogs are ranked number three in the country. Kentucky's twenty third, but Georgia's number three. You can see the game on SEC Plus. You can hear the game on our sister station ninety eight point five FM, because there might well be Kentucky basketball on the air on Friday, depends, of course, on what happens Thursday. There's more going on, of course. But one of the stories that's out there, did you see the video of the high school track runner in Virginia who in a relay race, came upon it was kind of battling with another runner for positioning, and beat her in the head with the baton. She has since released a video She's all weepy the w ONEm talking about the woman who did the hitting and is terribly upset because she has received threats and criticism and keeps claiming that she didn't do it on purpose, and she clearly did. And the woman who took the blows suffered a concussion and a possible skull fracture. And here's what got me. You know, the arms were flailing, but she clearly hit the woman. After the race, this gual. This woman's down injured, the woman who hit her, and her coach never even bothered to go over and check if this kid was hurt and never apologized, and now is claiming that she is a victim. It's just nuts. But google it. You'll find it if you're really interested. But that was one of the craziest things I've ever seen. Coming up at the bottom of the hour, John Clay's going to join us from the Harrow Leader. John has just been inducted into the US Basketball Writers Hall of Fame. So we'll talk to John about that a little bit later on our Unforgettable Guard Sean Woods. He'll talk basketball, but as he worked that Great Crossing Frederick Douglass game last night, Great Crossing wins by one bucket and therefore goes to the Sweet sixteen. And Frederick Douglass had an open look for a three at the end but couldn't hit it. So Malachi Marino, the future Wildcat, he and his teammates from Georgetown are going back to the Sweet sixteen. Also our West n BUA chief Gary Moore will join us as well, this being Wednesday. Coming up, in our next segment, we're going to talk a little bit more about Junior bridgmane and we got the word that he had died yesterday after we had already pre recorded our show. But we'll talk a little bit in our next segment and we'll hear from not just a speech that Bridgeman made about what helped make him successful, because man was he successful, but Shaquille O'Neal talked about it. You probably know because you cannot avoid his commercials. Shack is the most visible retired athlete when it comes to selling products and things like that, and he is crazy successful, so is Michael Jordan. He's just not as VISI and other athletes around the world. But Shaquille O'Neal said that Junior Bridgeman helped him get started in the business world and was his mentor. Basically, was a great player at Louisville. One of my all time maybe my all time favorite UILL player when I was young, Just a tremendous athlete, help U of L get to the seventy five final four when Kentucky was there. Those teams should have played for the national title, but lost him way too young, just seventy one years old, and had a heart attack while he was making a speech at a fundraiser for the boy Scouts, which comes as no surprise when you talk about Junior Bridgeman. So we'll talk about him after the break, and then a little bit later on we'll talk about the basketball Cats with John Clay and Seawan Woods here on six thirty WLAP. Welcome back to the Big Blue and Cider. Coming up in just a couple of minutes, we're going to hear from Hall of Famer John Clay. He is now a member of the US Basketball Writers Hall of Fame. It's been on the show many times just to talk about the Wildcats in his role as a commis for the Herald Leader, but now he's a Hall of Famer. So we'll talk to John. Coming up at the bottom of the hour, hour number two. It's Wednesday, so we'll talk with unforgettable guard Sean Woods about the upcoming SEC tournament, and of course, our Westen Bureau chief Gary Morrow, have some thoughts about the passing of Junior Bridgeman as well. Gary living in Louisville, now and before he moved to LA he worked here in Lexington and then moved to Louisville, so quite familiar with Junior Bridgeman, who believe it or not. Growing up in Louisville and rooting for both UK and U of L, I had favored UK players. My first were, of course, Dan Issel and Mike Pratt. And my first faves of U of L players were West Unseled and Butcher Beard. But I came to really like and respect and he became my favorite U of L player, Junior Bridgeman. This year, my second year of UK, I sat out with my sophomore year. My first semester, I went to a lot of Louisville games that was the seventy four to seventy five season. I say a lot, probably you know, four or five, but followed them as I was following Kentucky, you know, the Kevin Greevy jimman' connor team. Then I came back to school that second semester in the spring. Well that was nineteen seventy five, when both teams were heading for the Final four, and I really really believe, and a lot of people did, that those two teams would collide in the National Championship game and they should have. Kentucky beat Syracuse. Louisville lost to UCLA and John Wooden. Denny Crumb lost to his old boss who held back that famed UCLA press until the last couple of minutes of the game. Then he throws it to the U of L. They start to turn it over and UCLA wins it. I think it was in overtime and goes on to beat Kentucky. That was tough. But what I remember about Junior Bridgman, that team, Junior Bridgeman, Alan Murphy, Philip Bond, those guys was everybody was excited as well they should have been about the super Kittens and Denny Crumb, trying to stir the pot, talked about the recruiting class that included junior Bridgeman out of East Chicago, Washington, and he said I'll take my recruiting class over their recruiting class any day now, and said he thought Alan Murphy was a better scorer than her shooter or whatever, than Kevin Greevy. I don't remember what he said about Bridgman, but it boy got everybody's attention, I will tell you that. But I rooted for Bridgman when when he left U of L and went to the NBA, was drafted by the Lakers. Was part of a trade that brought then Leuel Cinder, who had just become Kareem abdul Jabbar, to Los Angeles and sent Junior Bridgman to Milwaukee, where he became an absolute fixture with the Bucks and became an incredibly successful businessman. And if you read it anything about Junior Bridgeman since his passing, you've seen reference to that. Junior came on the Big Blue Insider many years ago. I think it was still called Sports Nightly at that point, and I would I would replay the interview, but the archives were lost, I hate to say. Anyhow, he was gracious and classy, of course, And here's a clip when he was talking at a symposium about early successes. You know he was. He got into Wendy's, he invested, he said, in four or five Wendy's restaurants, and it took off, and he became a billionaire, not just in Wendy's but in other ventures. But this is a talk he gave about what led to his success was basically being decent to his employees, being kind to other people.
Speaker 2: We started off like most companies at that time, if you're black and you're gonna get involved, they're gonna put you in the black area of town. And so it's no different. We started in Milwaukee because I've spent all those years there with five stores in the in the inner city of Milwaukee, and they were not very good restaurants. But I figured if he worked at it, you could turn things around. And I'll tell you, the average volume of those five restaurants was only six hundred thousand dollars a year. And you're not making any money at that volume. Today those restaurants and my son runs them, so we still have a lot of them, but they do over two million.
Speaker 1: Dollars in sales.
Speaker 2: And how do you do that by getting involved with the people and letting people know that you care about them? Now, how do you do that? Back at that time in Milwaukee, if you got stopped for any traffic violation, they took you to jail. It was a crazy law that I'm glad they've changed. But where was all of our people that they were in jail? So we were bailing people out every day. And I could take you through other things that we did to help show people that we cared about them. And once they realized that we cared about them, then they cared about the business and they cared about us. And we grew, and as we grew and added more stores, we were able to promote people from a general manager to a district manager to an area operations person. And after a while we had a whole lot of people making over one hundred thousand dollars a year. And you would say, you know, how did that happen? And it was in what I would call a real American dream. You could come go to work, if you had just natural common sense and you were willing to work hard, you could make a good living for yourself. And we had people that went on from there and became franchised Z's on their own. So turn around and it was a matter of helping people. And then one day I looked up and we had two hundred and seventy five Wendy's restaurants.
Speaker 1: It's an incredible story and today the equivalent, best known equivalent is Shaquille O'Neal. And if you heard or read anything about him, and I've heard him interviewed on podcasts about his ventures into the business world, and yes, you see him all over commercials. Bridgeman didn't do a lot of them, but Shaq certainly does. And it's not just that he's lending his name to a product. He has a guy who guides him through the business world. I heard him say. People come to him all the time with ideas, Hey invest in this, here's a product, whatever, and he always, if he has any interest at all, he turns to his business partner and that's how they figure things out. But one of the first mentors basically my word for Shaquille O'Neil, and I'd never heard this was Junior Bridgeman, and he told that story on the TNT set.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this one really hit hard for me. A lot of people don't know this, but I've patterned my whole business acumen after Junior Bridgman. You know, they always tell us stories about our seventy five percent of athletes zero five years after they're done playing go broke. And I never wanted to be that, so I always started looking at people. Michael of course magic. But I remember one time before list came out and I was like, oh, I know I'm on this list. All the commercials I do and I saw his name, I reached out to him and we started talking. And you know, he had Wendy's, I started Big Chicken, you know, Pepsi and coke. So everything that he did I tried to pattern after him. I just actually just talked to him the other day because we were getting ready to do business. So my condoleces goes out to his partners, shawls, to his family, his daughter, his son. But this one really hit hard for me because he was definitely somebody that I look up to. I know, I get a lot of credit. Oh you do this and you do that. If it wasn't for Bridgeman, I wouldn't have known where where to stay. Because I watched this man. I was like man, and I'm always the type I used jealousy as motivation, Like, man, this man got this man got four hundred windies, let me do something. This man got free distribute, So like I used that and I had a conversation with him, and he was so nice to me. Nice to go to this function that he held doing the Derby and Louisville was just a nice, humble young man and he gave me all the.
Speaker 1: Secrets like he just did.
Speaker 3: He opened the book and was like, hey, what matter of fact, I'll help you out, make a call for you. It's actually how I got into Papa John's also because he lives in Louisville, and you know he knew it, so you know, it was definitely your dear friend. And I got the news at home and I had to sit down for a while, and I actually forgot We had to work. That's why I was kind of running late. But this this one hit hard. So Charles, the Brigman family, my condoleces goes out. This one hurts a lot.
Speaker 1: One final note my pal Paul Rodgers, the radio voice of Louisville Cardinals. At one point they tried to high Junior Bridgeman as the radio color commentator. He had done a little bit of TV, was great at it, crushed it. They we thought, man, this guy'd be great on the radio at all of our games. And they went to him and they said, hey, how about it? And ninety eight percent of athletes would jump on that, and Junior Bridgeman said, no, I don't think so. I'm too busy. I mean, that is something he knew that if he did it, he would want to do it right and throw himself into it the way he threw himself into all of his business ventures, and he knew because of all those business ventures, he didn't have a time, so he turned it down. I don't remember who they ended up hiring. I think this was after Jock Sutherland ever retired, But the bottom line was he was a fixture in U of L basketball, in the community, in the Milwaukee community. And yeah, I was stunned. Seventy one years old, he's less than two years older than I am. And feel for his family and his friends. Back in just a minute, John Clay, new Hall of Famer from the Herold Leader and the US Basketball Writers Association Here on six point thirty WLAP Welcome back to the Big Bull Insider. My next guest has been with us on our celebrity Highline many times, but this is the first time we can adjust John Clay as a Hall of Famer. He is being voted into, has been voted into, and being inducted into the US Basketball Writers Association Hall of Fame with some pretty big name people. John, Congratulations. Yeah, you've been around for a while, but much deserved.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you, Dick.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Honored to go in and I'm really tickled to go in that My old colleague Chuck Culpember is also going in. We're in the same class. And then Bob Holt, to my long conference from Arkansas, unfortunately passed away during the football season. He's also a member of the class that's going in. So bittersweet about Bob that I am' relled to go in and thrilled to go in with Chuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and unlike you, Chuck has bounced around to a number of yeah of really fine publications, but someone out of business or whatever. But when you signed on with the Herald Leader, did you anticipate staying there for a long time? I'm not saying forty years, but were you thinking, because I know what it was like when I came out of school. You just want a job, you know, I don't think about the next five years. You just think about making the rent. But what were you thought when you signed up?
Speaker 4: Do you recall, Yeah, well, I mean, I mean I was, like, you know, every ambitious kid as sports trader, probably you're ultimately you'd like to work at Sports Illustrated or you know, something like that. But uh, but as I got older and had a family of my own, and uh, you know, my family's close, My wife's family's close. Uh you know, kids of my own. Uh you know you're you're ambition for doing something like that kind of face, and uh, you know, I'm very happy to be. I've always felt a very lucky to get the job that I got, to be able to do the job that I do, and to be able to do it, you know, reporting on the team that I followed growing up and with so many people that I know around has been special to me. So I can't complain. My friends all tease me that I never had a real.
Speaker 5: Job, so I can't.
Speaker 4: I can't complain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people say that to me when I talk about working like working You know.
Speaker 4: You're right when you start to games.
Speaker 1: That's right. You go to games, watch the kids bounce a ball or throw a ball. But when you started, like all of us on the newspaper level, you do a little bit of everything, don't you. You didn't just drop on.
Speaker 4: To the UK beat, No, no, no, yeah, I started out doing high schools. I started out UH stringing for the UH back when I was in high school for the Winchester Son Neil Bryant, which was my first sports editor there. I did some win and talk to him and he let me do stories covering everything from junior high basketball games to freshman football games. I even worked for we do Friday night games for the Paris Daily Enterprise, which our friend Tom Leach also wrote for back in the day. And then you know, and then as on the staff at the Colonel when you were there at the Kentucky Colonel and kind of you know, moved on from there. And then yeah, when I started out the Hero Leader, I was doing high schools. Then when the papers merged, when they started out with the Old Leader in the afternoon paper and the Herald the year after that, and then when the papers merged, I worked on the sports copy desk, but I still got to write some. But I was basically a copy editor for two three years and did that until eight nineteen eighty seven, when they decided that basketball had become so big that they needed one person to just concentrate on basketball full time, and that was Jerry Tiffin. And then I was fortunate enough that they gave me the football beat. So yeah, I did a lot of different things, and over the years, as it's been in all of our job with the internet and everything, things change out tell people the job I have now is certainly not the job I had ten fifteen years ago. But for somebody like myself, and I'm sure you probably feel the same way, some of the new challenges have been good for people like this who kind of stayed in the same market for all those years. You do have different challenges and different things you have to learn, and I think that's kind of helped in a way.
Speaker 1: I agree, But I think people miss picking up the newspaper on the doorstep, you know. I mean, of course you get you get the game story instantly. Your man Ben Roberts has got to hit send on his computer as soon as the game's over, and then and then keep writing. But back it up a little bit. You went from the copy I don't know if I knew this, You went from the copy desk to the football beat.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm still writing some but I was basically the high school reporter, or one of the high school reporters, and for the Herald back in the day, back your friend of mine, Jean MacLean was around right at that time for the Herald and so forth. And then when the paper smart, you had the Harold sports section, the Leader sports section were merging and you already had you know, Mike Fields at that time was doing high school as he did for years and years, and you had the Harold Leader high school writers. So I kind of got moved into a sports copy desk job, which at the time I was not crazy about it, but I think it actually helped me because, you know, learning another side the business and helped with editing and so forth. But I still wrote. I still wrote some, especially I covered a lot of women's basketball back then and girls' basketball. But and then and still did you know, some writing too, But I did also a lot of copy desk work too. And then, like I said, they decided in eighty seven to split the UK because Jerry when he first got here he did both football and basketball. People kind of forget that. But so then I did football. I did football from nineteen eighty seven till two thousand. When Chuck left to go to the Oregonian in two thousand and that was fortunate enough to get his get his job. But I remember when how Mommy came and got the job. And you remember Chris Hatcher. Yep, he came up with pal as you know at that time. I think he was even like a graduate sister of ball right her assistant, and he handled the quarterbacks. And I remember talking to Chris and Chris said, how long have you been covering football? I said, since nineteen eighty seven, Chris goes And Chris is the heck of a guy, Chris Goes Man, You've seen a lot of losing football.
Speaker 1: I had a similar conversation with Rich Brooks, you know, but I said, you know what, though, you you flirted with greatness year coach. We're talking to John Clay, who was one of the newest members of the US Basketball Writers Association Hall of Fame class of twenty twenty five. Yeah, I've got to think that working that copy desk made you a better writer, because, man, with the summery intern for the Louisville Times, I worked my butt off just so the city desk slotman and the copy editors didn't have to fix my stories.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: So you're really lean into it, don't you.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean I think, you know, it kind of helps you learn learn the business from the ground up. And you know, talking about when Adrian wargin Ow the you know, the ESPN, you know, the WOJE bombs and so forth. And when he announced the last I guess last year about this time or whatever, that he was going to leave ESPN it was going to go back to his alma mater, Sam Bonaventure as their GM. I read a story in which he said that of all the jobs that he had, always the most challenging job and the best job, is being a high school writer. Because when you're covering high school sports, you're keeping your own stats. A lot of people take their own pictures. You're down there, You're in these press boxes that you have to squeeze into, or you may be down on the sidelines, and it's, you know, trying to keep stats, and it's raining and so forth. It's a great education for I don't know how many times, uh, you know, I was afraid I was going to get locked into a football stadium trying to write your story. Yeah, I think I remember one time Jean got locked in. Jean McLean got locked in covering a high school football game. I remember the first time, you will appreciate this stick the first time I met the great Bob White, who recently passed away. For a long time career journal high school beat writer writer, he and Mike ro Both legends of the state were covering high school. The first time I met Bob White, I was covering a lot yet I was at the Herald Leader. I was covering a Lapiet basketball game and they had a little table set up for the media, and I was sitting there and Bob White came and sat down beside me. And the whole time, I'm thinking, that's Bob White. That's Bob White, because I'd read him, but I hadn't met him. And then Bob turns to me and says, are you from the Herald? And I said, yes, from the Herald. He goes, where are you going to write your story? And I said, I think I can go back to the office and write it from there. He said, they told me I could use the vice principal's office, but it's locked. I don't know where I'm going to write my story. I don't know where I'm going to send my story. Man, I'm thinking, so, whether you're Bob White or just me starting out, you face the same challenges when you're covering high school high school sports.
Speaker 1: In college, I was the Courier Journal stringer here in Central and Tom's the last one they ever had because they started cutting back saving money. But yeah, I mean I learned the hard way. You got to call ahead. Is there a phone in the press box, nope? Is there electricity nope? Can I use an office nope? You know I got locked into the Henry Clay Football Stadium once and in Bryan Station they had no way from nothing nowhere from me to work. I had to drive. I think I've told you. I had to drive to the old Jerry's on on South Broadway and phone it in from the lobby. People are in there, you know, ordering a Patty Meltw on the phone. I'm tying up the payphone for twenty minutes dictating a story. But man, you learn, you know. Yeah, and now now you appreciate being able to hit send, uh and right, make sure your story.
Speaker 4: You can go to the you can go to McDonald's and use their wireless.
Speaker 1: That's true too.
Speaker 4: Or yes, Jerry Peck and those guys, they just got it so much easier.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, right, Hey, you got a shamelessly pl PENNERA that's your home for home away.
Speaker 4: From home, that's right, yeah, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Well if you see John in the Panera, that's a Hall of Famer will work. We'll talk more with John on the other side of the break here on a Big Moon Sider six thirty WLAP Welcome back. We're talking with John Clay of the Harrow Leader. He is the newest member of the US Basketball Writers Association Hall of Fame class at twenty twenty five, going in with his former colleague and his buddy Chuck Culpepper, who, by the way, was one of our narrators for the documentary the Cameron Mills and Jason Epperson and I did on the ninety eight championship team Out of the Blue. We had. We had Chuck and a couple of Mark Coombs and Daryl Bird read read their copy that would They were our narrators. And this is a guy who travels the world and just somehow finds finds an interesting nugget to write about. You're covering the same team basically, John Dafterday, you do branch out, cover other things, cover the reds and all. But what kind of a challenge is that to be working in the same market covering the same team for so many years. Background is great, context is great, but it's the same team year after You're the same I should say school year after year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean, yeah, like you say, I mean there's advantages and its advantaged kids. I have a lot of you know, institutional knowledge or historical references with Kentucky sports football and basketball. But it is a challenge when you're writing about the same team. Luckily, you know, for better or worse, especially under Cal under cal Perry, you know, the members of the team seem to change every year, and it's been a little bit that way in football, so it gives you more new things to write about. One of the things I thought I was fortunate enough for doing doing football for so long. UK football obviously basketball, you know, probably more interested in basketball than football, though I always contend there's always been a great core interest in UK football, but there were more when you're covering a team that's got a five scholarship players and a bunch of walk ons, there's more opportunities for stories and features and that type of thing, and there is in the uh you know, I go back to one your another reference point that you can appreciate is Dave Kindred. I read Dave Kendred, you know, growing up in the in the career for twenty years, and they've always said you know, there's a lot of good stories in the losing locker room as well as the winning locker room. And I think that's that's true as well, and so uh, you know, I think that was a good education for me as well to learn for on the beat for football as well. But yeah, I mean it as advantageist and disadvantage, but I think overall it's an advantage. Like I said, I've always enjoyed writing about uh, you know, the the athletic department and the university that I followed and ruduft growing up and knowing that the people that I know, friends, family, colleagues, people around in Central Kentucky and Kentucky writing for you know, the same teams that they you know, love and follow and want to know more about. So that that's been good as a columnist.
Speaker 1: Explain to folks what your mission is, what is your job? Because people I know complain you know that that you're not objective, you're showing your bias, and I try to explain, well, that's his job, you know. I mean, uh, but but it's not the same obviously as covering a beat and talk a little bit if you would about well, it's a terrible way to phrase the question, isn't it to a Hall of Famer? But when you move from being a beat writer to a columnist.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean with colmist, you have more freedom to give your opinion. I mean that's basically you're more of like an opinion columnist, so you can give your point of view, your opinion on something instead of just reporting it as a straight beat reporter objective. Although I do think it's that even that has kind of changed over the years. More I think beat. I mean, you want to.
Speaker 5: Be the objective as possible as a.
Speaker 4: Beat but I think they look for you to be more of like an authority as a beat writer that you know as much or more than anybody else on the beat, and people look to you for, you know, for that information. My whole thing about you know, being a columnisteamed with that beat writer. I mean, you have to think about the audience if you want, you want credibility with your readers. You want your readers to believe what you write. And then even if they as an account as accumist, even if they disagree with your point of view, if they feel like that you're being fair and you're making you know, it's it's honest and it's what you really believe. You're not trying to get clicks, as we would say now or you know, but I always said, if if a team's not going well and you're writing that everything's great, people are going to stop reading you because they know that's not true. And it's the opposite if they're doing well and you're nitpicking them and writing a bunch of negative things. Uh, you know, I think that they're not going to read you either. I think as I've gotten older, I probably have been a little more I don't think lenien is the right word, but maybe had a little different perspectives than athletes that yeah, than I once did. And I think that's just part of growing older. The majority I was probably more apt to when I first started out to you know, be more critical than probably you know I am now. But you know, also, you know social media and then it's changed so many things, it's changed their jobs. Now. I used to get a lot of emails. I don't get nearly as many emails now because people can't you know, they tell me what they think on Facebook or on Twitter, or you know, they have a direct line to you almost you know, your followers and so forth, so you know that's that's changed as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I agree, but it's always interesting because sports fans have opinions. Everybody has opinions, right, and when they don't like yours, well you're biased, you know, you're not objective or whatever. What they're saying is you don't agree with me, so right right, you know, but that's okay, that's that's part of the fun. I mean, it's like there's a ballgame on one day, we spend six days talking about it right.
Speaker 4: Right right, and you and you'd rather have that than not have any feedback at all, because then they're not reading you. So you want them to whether they agree or disagree with you. And then, you know, it's funny when I do get emails. A lot of times I'll get an email you know, you don't know what you're talking about and really ripping me. And then I'll reply to them and say, you know, well, you know, I'm sorry you disagree, blah blah blah, and they'll write they'll come back at you, but they're a little softer, a little soft, like maybe they didn't experience the experience. John Adams, I'm sure you probably know John longtime. Collins occidently asked me one time first when internet started up, because do you get a lot of nasty emails? And I said, yeah, I did, I get a few. He goes, what do you How do you reply? So well? I tell him, you know, I understand their point of view and blah blah blah. He goes, I don't. I tell them they're nuts. I tell them they're crazy. John can get away with that?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, I wonder how that worked out well before I let you go, John, It's obviously a special time for you, being voted into the Hall of Fame and you are covering a heck of a story, aren't you? With this with this UK team? And really down the road with U of L as well? But oh yeah, it's the kind of season that sort of in your lap and there have been all kinds of twisting turns and obviously we don't know where it's going to end. But it's been kind of fun, hasn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And going back to what you said earlier about being here a long time and covering the same team for so many years, and this year I think it's been an advantage. Have been really neat because obviously I was around, I was not the primary basketball beat writer, and I wasn't the commist. Chuck was the commist when Mark Pope lay. In fact, when Chuck came, Chuck was in town a while back and he went to see Mark, and Mark told him, Chuck, you have not changed a bit. You're still the same one I was here the first time. But you know, that's been really neat because they got to know Mark a little bit when we covered him, and I've talked to him a couple of times over the years when he was coaching elsewhere. I did a story on when he got his first job at Utah Valley. So it's been great to see Mark tackle this job and the job he has done. I mean, I just think he's set the right tone. He's been exactly what the doctor ordered. Nothing against cal Perry. I had no beef with John. You know, John had his good points and his bad point. But I think John knew and everybody knew it was time for a change and time to move on. And I think Marcus done an incredible job putting a new team together and fighting through the injuries and having the season they had. And I think may more importantly, I think he set the tone for what the program should be and will be under him in the future.
Speaker 1: Is John Clay. He is now a Hall of Famers US Basketball Writers Association Hall of Fame. Follow him on Twitter ex whatever at John Clay IV and of course in the pages of a Herald Leader or online Kentucky dot com. Thank you, sir, congratulations, Well.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Dick, and I certainly remember our days at the Colonel and how you helped me when I was just a good aspiring journalist and you were an old experienced student journalist, you and Steve Ballinger and all those guys.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate it. Yeah, well, I was happy to do it, John, thanks so much. Thank you. That's it for our number one coming up in our number two Unforgettable Guard, Sean Woods, and our West End Bureau chief Garrymore, all of that ahead here on the Big Girl Sider six point thirty.
Speaker 6: Nobody I like the saying.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Big Blue Cider has promised. Here is our unforgettable Guard, Shawn Woods. A jersey hangs in the rafters and we always talk about the Wildcats, and we will, but we've got a couple other things. To talk about little high school basketball. But first, you're younger than I am. But I know you know the name Junior Bridgeman, and he comes from up in the part of the world that you're kind that you're from. How shocked were you to hear the news of his passing?
Speaker 5: It was very shocking because we grew up in the same city. I am from each Chicago, Indiana. I say Gary because a lot of people don't know Eachicago is that they're both right next to each other. They call it the region. We got Gary, hemmon Eachicago. You know Maryville, you know that type of deal. Crown Point is the county seat of Blake County. But I'm gonna tell you how close I am the Junior Bridgeman. His sisters were my Sunday school teachers, good Anti patrist Church.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: So I've known Junior Bridgeman. He's known me all my life.
Speaker 1: My goodness, his mother I.
Speaker 5: Knew his mother, Oh, my goodness.
Speaker 4: And I was.
Speaker 5: Born in nineteen seventy when Each Chicago Roosevelt won the state championship Indiana High school state championship in nineteen seventy, and then Each Chicago Washington, which that's where Junior Bridgeman went one of the nineteen seventy one It's it's right now still East Chicago back then was probably one of the one of the basketball meccas of the world that region when you had Gary Chicago, all those big time players and it's the only city that produced two state championships back to back with different schools.
Speaker 1: Wow, no kidding.
Speaker 5: And I'm gonna tell you who's on this basketball team. Okay, you're a Kentucky Colonel fan. You remember Kentucky Colonels. Okay, Jim Bradley. James Bradley was that played on the Kentucky turn Colonels. He was the darling basketball player back then at Eachicago rolls that when they were on the state championship in nineteen seventy. Okay, the next year, and then he went to Chicago Roosevelt the next year. Each Chicago Washington won it. Okay, remember the name a guy by the name of Pete Turkovich who went to UCLA. Absolutely, Okay, he was on that team. Remember the big time pitcher named Tim Stoddard. Yeah, he was on that team with Junior Bridgeman.
Speaker 1: He played basketball and baseball at NC State.
Speaker 5: Tim stotted was a power forward for that each Chicago Washington nineteen seventy one state championship team. Junior Bridgeman's real name. People don't even know it. His real name is Ulysses Ulysses Bridgeman, junior.
Speaker 1: Right, And when he checked into a U of L game, John Tong always announced him that way and number or whatever unless he's Junior Bridgeman. I thought that was so cool.
Speaker 5: And he wasn't even the league scorer on that team. Turkovich was the league and scorer on that team that went on to play and win national championships at us LAW, John Wooden Wow and then Pete Turkovich. After years gone by. They had two guards on the team. Their name was Darnell adel and Rubin Ruben Rubin Bailey, and they were the quickest guards in the state of Kentucky, in the state of Indiana. And uh, I think Darnell Ado ended up going to n C State. I don't know where Ruben Bailey went to. But Darnell Adell came back, took Easchicago Washington the state championship and guess who he Guess who he coached. Kenny Laughton, who was the baseball player for the Cleveland for the Cleveland Indians. We're all grew up together. Kenny Laughton and I grew up together. He's two years older than me, three years older than me actually, but we played Little League, Beast football, baseball, all that stuff together. And then Tim started came back and won the state championship at Each Chicago Central, which was they combined ISA Chicago Roosevelt to Chicago Washington and made it Each Chicago Central.
Speaker 1: Amazing. So I know.
Speaker 5: Junior Bridgeman big time. I mean I've been knowing him all my life, and man in Each Chicago's Morning too, because he's one of their favorite sons.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember when Denny Crumb signed him out of there and people were really excited. Of course I didn't know anything about him, but I learned very quickly. But and I mentioned in the previous segment, I'd had him on the show at one point. Just such a class act. But you know, known for his entrepreneurial efforts as much more than his basketball. I mean, you talk about a success story and an example for pro athletes. You don't have to go broke after five years, you.
Speaker 5: Know, I say they're on the news talking now. You know, even Doc Rivers, all these people talking, you know, we take in uspn The one thing that the NBA missed out on was him coming to rookie camps and and and things like that and really mentoring and listening to his story on helping these young men who are gonna make so much money, but in five years they're gonna be broke. He was the guy they missed on that should have been the poster child of how you do this? You know, Magic Johnson is one, now Michael Jordan's another. But I'm gonna tell you something. I remember I used to get in trouble. Everybody knew that I was great friends with guys that played for the University of Louis, of the Ewie Sullivans of cok these holders, the Boo Brewers and the Jerome Harmers, you know, the Bradford Smiths and things like that. When we would go out okay and then go get us a burger at Wendy's. There were several times where I went to one I think it's a Horsebourne Lane of somewhere where he was in the back flippenburger and he was the owner and he was known for that oh wow regiment would be in the back and you wouldn't even know who he was, and he would be in the back with the regular workers, flipping berger.
Speaker 1: Setting an example.
Speaker 5: Yeah, setting an example, man.
Speaker 1: That's a great story.
Speaker 5: Man, right, it becomes you know, makes the billionaire club man. He checks out on us, and that's unfortunate.
Speaker 1: It is. Well, I knew you knew of him, or you knew him, but I didn't realize it was that tight. But yeah, I knew you were from the same part of the world. So my condolence is to everybody up there and everybody in the extended Junior Richmond family. Well, let us move off to a happier topic, and that is high school basketball. Sweet sixteen begins next week for the boys, begins. It's already underway today for the girls. But you worked last night the telecast online of the eleventh Region championship, and I know how much you were looking forward to that game. And it didn't disappoint and future Wildcat and his teammates great crossing. They beat Frederick Douglas by two, survived a three pointer at the at the end. And now Malachai Moreno is going back to the Sweet sixteen. He had a decent game, did he not?
Speaker 5: He did what he was supposed to do in a game like that.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: You know, as you, I don't care how good you are, you're marked man, especially if you're going to the University Kentucky, you know, playing in the state of Kentucky, so on and so forth, and you're six to eleven and you're playing against a bunch of people that are pretty much midgets to you. And this is what I am impressed with him about, even when he's in an unfamiliar territory, because the reason why he's one of the best big men in the country is because when he's playing out in those AAU tournaments and those camps against some of the best big men in the country, he dominates. But what's impressive with him is he dominates even when he's playing against smaller guys, like he doesn't look out of place. I mean, his his his quarter awareness is impeccable. He can score in a telephone boost with a bunch of mitcht because he's got great footwork, he's got really good handle, and he's got great hands. He gets the ball to the rim quick. I think he's a very underrated defender. As you saw last night, he blocked everything that got to the rim. And kudos to Douglas for being resilient and giving themselves a chance to even have it, you know, to have a chance to win under those circumstances when you're playing against a dominant player like that. But I've been impressed with with Malachi just with the skill level, and he's only gonna get better. One thing he hasn't shown that I've just seen in warm up this. He can shoot the fifteen footer, but he just doesn't shoot it in high school because he doesn't happen. And that's gonna be a major. That's gonna be something when he gets to Kentucky because Mark Polk is real big on improving your shot because you're gonna shoot all day in practice, that's what you're gonna do. You're gonna shoot all day, so you can't get do nothing but get better as a shooter and become more confident. So that's gonna be a part of his game that people haven't seen that he is capable of doing. But I love his efficiency, He's.
Speaker 4: Never out of control.
Speaker 5: I love his his his his mental you know, output you know, approaching a game. I mean, I'm just highly impressed with him. And then he's got another great player that's going to more head too. I mean, that team is really good. But man, I got to give a lot of credits to Douglas at Larry Garver for the job he did coming in as a first year coach, come coming in out of college, you know, and it's a it's a major adjustment, you know, when you're preparing for the likes of you know, the MIAK and and and when you got to play those money games against some of the best coaches in the country, right and now you're coming here and you got to develop these guys to prepare against some these high school you know, situations. And he did a marvelous job all year of even being the second best team in the regions, the eleventh region, then making a championship game and had a chance to win last night even when he got down thirteen to fourteen, they were down ten with two minutes ago. When he comes back and had a chance to win, Yeah, I had a.
Speaker 1: Shot in the air. He is Sean Woods. We talk with him every Wednesday, the former UK point guard. We'll come back and talk about those Wildcats on the other side of the break here on the Big Moon Sider six thirty WLAP, Welcome back. We're talking with Sean Woods. We talked with the Unforgettable Guard each and every Wednesday. And Sean, before I asked you about this year's Kentucky team, you talked before about playing in the SEC Tournament. You guys had one shot because of the sanctions it on and you won it. You Claubert Alabama, I'm wondering where you check in. I have a pretty good idea all this debate. John Calipari has said it again. You know I couldn't care less about the SEC Tournament. I know you wouldn't do that as a co WHI and Pope has gone to one hundred and eighty degrees in the other direction. Can you imagine going into a tournament like that? Uh, not as a coach, but as a player. Hearing your coach.
Speaker 5: Say that, I think that that that's ludicrous. I mean, that's I don't even get that. I mean, I've never heard of coach in winning a game is not important. I've never seen that, especially in college athletics. You want to win every game, you want to win every tournament, you want to you know to tell your guys that that's not important. What type of what type of example does that set?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: So what if they come in and don't take a serious and you lay an egg and you're already on the bubble tournament? That makes totally no no sense at all. And that's one of the reasons that he fell out here because yep, everything is important. History is important.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 5: We own the SEC. We want to continue to have made success in the SEC, just like Kansas owns the Big Twelve has. I mean, they had a tough year this year, but that's like Bill Sepp going to tell Kansas, we're not worried about winning the Big Twelve championship. And and because if you get to I even heard him say this, if you get to the championship, you better win, yes, because if you don't win, you still you're gonna do tire because you're gonna play tools Deal Wednesday. Well, if you win, you still got to play Tuesday Winnsday. That's right, What does that make.
Speaker 1: It doesn't No? All right, let's let's let's put that to Ben and let's talk about these wildcats. You and I have talked all year. You have been polite and understanding, but firm and your belief that they just weren't good enough defensively. But in the last two or three weeks, Sean, they've made a move forward at least as far as the analytics are concerned, UH, to be not just better at defense, but now one of the better teams in the country over the last two or three weeks defensively, what have you seen when it comes to their defensive improvement, Dick.
Speaker 5: It became a priority, That's what happened. It wasn't a priority before. I thought that Markan was just really gung ho on showing the world how smart they were from an analytics standpoint, in this offense, that they're running this high power, high scoring, shooting threes thing. That defense really wasn't and it hasn't been if you watch him throughout his career, it hasn't been important. But now you're at the SEC where defense is the jergernaut. Most of the best teams in this league are great defensively, And he knew that he had to change, and he had to change real fast and make that more of a priority than his offense. And when he realized that he wasn't going to get through thirty threes up because defenses from other teams weren't going to allow that. Right, he make a change too, And in order for him to make a change, he had to start getting more stops yep, to win games. So that's what that means, you know what I'm saying, And I'm sure going in from here on out, he better be working in the summertime on his shell defensive principles and and making that just as much of a priority as it is shooting threes and and coming up with all these wizardry plays uh the offensive end, because that ain't gonna win. That ain't gonna cut it as he saw it. And from a recruiting standpoint, he better start getting find the guys that that that that fit the mode of a Lamon Butler.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Those are hard to.
Speaker 5: Find, yes, but that's got to be his recruiting model because in the SEC, the SEC is built on tough minded guy, tough minded defensive guys, and you can't win at this level, especially in the SEC, if you don't have that type of mentality. So from recruiting standpoint, he's got to start getting guys not just can shoot the basketball, but love playing relentless defense. And he's got three chances. He's got three guys that he's got to go get uh to to to go along with these freshmen. But I would put a billboard up, a poster in his office with the the Mott Butler's picture aren't saying gets where I'm going. I gotta find much like this.
Speaker 1: I've only got a few minutes left, but you have won. You have won a conference tournament as a player and a coach, and you know what it takes that kind of grind to win day after day after day, and it takes it takes people, it takes some depth. Do you think this Kentucky team has what it takes to pull it off? Because Auburn's awfully good, Florida is awfully good.
Speaker 5: My thing is this, Dick, If La Mott Butler can get through this tournament unscathed, they have a chance. I just I just think that, you know what I'm saying. And the only thing that scares me is winning three games. They haven't proven in the last two months that they can put constring along three games in a row at SCC. So that's what scares me right now is can they win three games in a row if they you know, and and we'll see you know that that's that's the million dollar deal because you're going against the juggernaut and everybody in this in this tournament from who's playing tonight on Wednesday night can beat him tomorrow, to beat us tomorrow. So you know, you saw Lennon Hamilton last night, you know, lost and they were favorite to win, playing against somebody who had played the night before. It doesn't matter. It's tournament time now did It's tournament time, and the mentality has changed and switched. And that's why some people are really disgusted with John Caliperry making those those deals about nothing's important. You're in the postseason, everything's important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. You know, interestingly, you guys beat Alabama, beat him handily. They were seventeenth in the country and you beat them. But like you said, that was your one shot. You didn't score in that game. But your job, I got to think, was to handle Hollywood Robinson that night, you know, and he got his twenty two, but it took him thirty eight minutes and eighteen shots. And meanwhile your teammates were running all over Alabama. So everybody has to hone in, don't they no doubt about it.
Speaker 5: And everybody's got to step up, you know what I mean. You know, you got to start getting some production from some people that you haven't been doing. And that's what tournament times all about. And you know the good thing about Kentucky is you got a couple guys that haven't been that started to get their legs on them a little bit. They're starting to produce and they're going to need all the production they can get from everybody that comes in that game, that comes in the game starting tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Well, coach, I've enjoyed talking to you. We'll keep talking through the tournament. But are you working the boy sweet sixteen?
Speaker 5: I am working the girls for now and the boys. I'm on tonight. Douglas is playing Simon Kitton tonight at eight o'clock, so I'll be on tonight with that one. And then, you know, the fortunate but unfortunate situation is because the NC DOUBLEA Tournament, the men's tournament is pushed back for two weeks, right right, So we'll see, you know, we'll see if Douglas is in, I mean, if Great crosses in and we're still doing the eleventh region games. Covering them, then I should be doing it well.
Speaker 1: Whatever happens, I hope to see you soon and I appreciate the input and we will chat again next week.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, hiy body.
Speaker 1: It is true though that Seawn only got a chance to play in one SEC tournament because of course Kentucky was on probation those first couple of years. But they did make the most of it. Jamal Mashburn against Alabama at twenty eight points thirteen rebounds, had a double double. He was the only Wildcat other than Jamel Martinez in double figures. Jamel had twelve points in twenty four minutes, eight of those at the free throw line. I remember they kept putting him on the line and he got it done. He also had six rebounds. Pelfrey had nine points and six rebounds in that game and four assists. But one thing I remember about Jamel Martinez is Rick Patino at one point said, you know, if it weren't for the probation, we wouldn't even have recruited Jamel Martinez. Remind have said a player like Jamel, But I thought that's a hell of a thing to say. But the guy came through and he was the heck of a competitor coming up our Western Bureau Chief Gary Moore, six thirty WLP Welcome back to the Big Blue Insider. It's Wednesday. That means we go down the interstate to the west end of it for our West End Bureau chief Gary Moore a long time our West Coast Bureau chief, and he worked in at Los Angeles. Now he was in LA the Louisville area and joins us every week with two guys into six packs. Sir, ye're up. Well, we're still kind of in shock over.
Speaker 7: Here in Louisville after the news of Junior Bridgeman yesterday, one of the obviously one of the all time great University of Louslle Cardinal basketball players, but also a great businessman here and around the world, entrepreneur, philanthropist here helped so many causes. In fact, he was speaking at a charity event yesterday when all this happened. Gosh, I just remember Junior Bridgeman was part of that great nineteen seventy five Crumb team took UCLA John Wooden's last team to overtime, lost by a point. Had they won that game, yep, there would have been your dream game, right yeah, and then he went on to the Bucks. Was part of that Kareem Abdul Jabbar trade.
Speaker 1: Sure was.
Speaker 7: He was drafted by the Lakers and they shipped him and some other guys over to Milwaukee, and he was I think before they even had the sixth Man Award. He probably would have qualified, definitely would have won that. Over several years, he had a lot of great seasons with them, and then he became, you know, a franchise. He owned several I mean, gosh, over one hundred Wendy's and Chili's and then Coca Cola. And I didn't know this, but a few years ago Forbes magazine ranked him as the fourth wealthiest retired athlete in the world. Wow, behind Michael Jordan, David Beckham, and Arnold Palmer. He went on to buy you know, a piece of Milwaukee Bucks. He was a billionaire and above it all, just a really great guy and.
Speaker 1: A role model for athletes, like, look, here's what you can do. And he wasn't part of that insane money group, you know. I mean he made good money as an NBA player, right, but invested wisely and did his research and I had it actually had him on the show once and he was He was my all time favorite U of L player growing up in Louisville. That's right.
Speaker 7: You were here when he was doing stuff. Yeah, from well he was part of you know, as part of that. So this second time that Dinny went to the final four, that's right, seventy two and then seventy five, and just that's a huge loss. And I think that, well we move on here to the second bit. I think that with the Cards playing tomorrow night in the tournament, I don't know if this is gonna be one of those things that gives them a little added push. But you never know, right, Yeah, you never know something like this is gonna go on. Well, let's let's talk a little bit about that. Tomorrow night. Louisville set to play at seven on ESP and to the number fourteen. Cards are a second seed in the tournament, led by, of course ACC Coach of the Year deservedly Pat Kelsey and first team All ACC and Defensive Player of the Year as well, CHUCKI Hepburn. How about d guard point guard. Obviously, this is one of the greatest Louisville teams I think ever, not just record wise, at twenty five and six in the regular season. But for a program, in terms of a program reviving aspect of it, you can't say enough about what they've done to try and make people forget the last couple of years. However, I think if Louisville does not get sharp shooting guard Rain Smith back one hundred percent, I don't know actually how far they can go. I would love to see them go obviously to File four, but let's let's be realistic here. Can they get to at least a sixteen or an Elite eight? I don't know, But after the season, you know what, I'm not going to count them out because people picked them ninth to finish ninth in the preseason ACCS, so who knows, Dick.
Speaker 1: I was surprised they were picked to finish that high. You know, it's just so interesting with the two fan bases now kind of battling in a different way. If they've battled for decades, but now it's like which teams had the better season, the more surprising, the more satisfying, you know, And it's apples in orange as it really is. But I'll tell you what. The one thing Kentucky fans had gone for him as their program had not basically hit college basketball rock bottom, which is what Louisville and in terms of teams that were ranked and rated and you know, I mean, they were just almost hopeless. So Duke fans can see all they want. Their coach did a great job, yeah, but hit the challenge he had paled in comparison to what Pat Kelsey found.
Speaker 7: No question about that. Our third swig here in the six pack. Also tomorrow night, UK getting into the SEC Tournament again. These conference tournaments. Both Kim Mulky and I hate them, two finer advocates against these needless buddy grabs. You will not find, of course, both fan bases, like you're talking about, expecting much better results than in recent months of March. I think UK is probably a lot better going into this, a lot more obviously more battle tested for a run. So let's talk a little bit about that. We know, if you've followed UK basketball anytime in the last few years, we know only too well what coach cal used to say, you know, the only tournament I really care about, right, And how'd that work out? In the last nine years or so well, as we've seen, the Cats are arguably in the toughest basketball conference this season, and maybe in history, certainly in the SEC history. I think this is probably the season UK beat eight top fifteen teams. They're only the third team to ever do that, yeah, in history. So depending on the draw and if they stay healthy, how far do you think that they can go. What's their ceiling?
Speaker 1: You said it yourself, you know, it depends on the draw. And it's it's like that for a lot of team, for Louisville, for a lot of schools. But we're going to see just how tough the SEC is because you're going to have twelve to fourteen teams in there, you know. And a Fogler when he first joined the league and people were complaining that more schools, more teams weren't getting in. I think the year probably are only five SEC teams only had gotten in. But Fogus said, hey, beat some people, you know, and then we'll see. Well, you know, the SEC won eighty nine percent of its non conference games this year. Now, of course in conference games they only broke even. They were just five hundred. But yeah, I think that I think both Kentucky and Louisville can get at least to the second weekend. But as you said, depends on. Obviously everybody's staying healthy in the next week or so, but depends on matchups, depends on how games are officiated in that first weekend when there are so many refs, you know who may not have a lot of tournament experience. You know, if you can survive all that, you got a shot and moving on.
Speaker 7: But this this year, it was just thinking about this, you want to think out loud, the way they're going to sprinkle a lot of the SEC SEC teams around. I wouldn't be surprised if the final four is all SEC.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a certain potential possibility.
Speaker 1: Well, look at the College World Series, right, you know, for ACC, for SEC. Look at the College Football Playoff the way they like to see it. It's not great for college sports, but it's great for the SEC.
Speaker 7: Our fourth swig here and uh, we're gonna talk a little bit more about this later, but in the what you done for us Lately department, we saw that n C State fired basketball coach Kevin Keats Gee, what did he do last year in March. We'll get to that in a little bit later on Tay somebody else that entered the portal that was kind of a surprise, Steve prom down to Murray after I guess it's third lackluster season down there. They had him for a four year contract there. Steve's second act at Murray started three years ago with the athletic director at the time from UK Kevin's does Assault Kevin Saal yep. And then Kevin bailed for just a few months later for the ad gig at Wichita State.
Speaker 1: Is Alma materia.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so then they hire former Murray State quarterback Nico Yanko. He's the new Murray State ad And of course, you know what can happen if a new boss comes in and you ain't his guy. That's right, not just in sports, happens and happens in every business pretty much. So I have a question for you, seeing how the portal and the nil landscape has really changed since the days of well campaign Cameron Payne, John Morant, Murray is Murray State delusional to think that they can get back to those top twenty teams?
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you the same question because Murray's had so many good teams through the years, teams that a couple of them that either beat somebody in the tournament or throw a scare into somebody. But that was pre obviously way before nil before the portal and all that. So now I really look at Murray State as one of those outpost schools. You know, unless a fairy godfather or mother comes through with some nil bucks. Playing time is not the sirens song that it used to be. You know, some kids would go in and you know, hey, I can get some minutes here playing for the Racers or John Morant. You know, you find a guy like that and he sticks around for a while. Now, a John Morant's gone after one year if you stumble into a great talent like that. So I feel for Murray State. I think college basketball better when a team like that is viable. But I just don't see how it's gonna happen.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, Murray's my hometown, and I've heard some people down there say things like, well, Steve started five seniors. Maybe these were the best guys he could get. Now, under the circumstances, we'll see Fitzwig and the six pack. Are you ready for some baseball? You realize the twenty twenty five Major League season is less than a week away from starting officially next Tuesday. Dodgers and Cubs in Tokyo two games Tuesday, the eighteenth, Wednesday the nineteenth Tokyo Dome, and those are six to ten starts, by the way, six to ten am in the freaking morning for us here in the East three time zone, even worse at the Pacific, and keeping with their yearly tradition, the Dodgers have already won pitcher lost for the season before it even begins. Michael Grove relievers out for the season's shoulder surgery. But still, I tell you, LA looks like repeat World Series defenders to the rest of MLB. So I ask you, who are you going to take this year to win it all? La or the field? I'm going to take Los Doyers.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll take the field simply because injuries happened, you know. But they've now got a manager with an incredibly fat contract. You got to wonder what kind of pressure is he feeling now? You know, it's not financial pressure. He's set for life if he wasn't already. But Dave Roberts, you know, signed, They wanted to hang on to him. But he did a nice job of managing that roster, didn't he And it wasn't he wasn't super smooth last year, and they still had to do some work. But let me ask you this, why in the world is it so important to open the great American pastime? And this is not I'm not being a nationalist. I mean, if you want to have a game like that in Japan, I think that's fantastic. But why in the world take that away from Cincinnati, The traditional season opener with the parade and all the history that is eminently manageable, and the fact that Major League Baseball has let this happen is really sad to me.
Speaker 7: I'm with you one hundred percent. I'm sure you are one hundred percent on that because I'm a traditionalist on stuff like this, not so much a traditionalist in that I don't believe that you can't change things in the game like the pitch clock and some other things. But keep it, keep it on this shore. I mean, yeah, why don't you do Cincinnati first, then go over to Japan and do those games have Cincinnati for And you know, but that's gonna mess up, you know, I guess the scheduling or whatever, the bottom clock stuff, whatever it should it still should be in Cincinnati every year, period, exclamation point, no question, about it.
Speaker 1: Let's make that happen.
Speaker 7: I'm working on it. Okay, our sixth and final swig here on Monday. Legendary coach back, legendary human. Yeah got Davenport hung it up after twenty seasons at Bellermann and forty seven years of coaching overall, with forty six of those here in Louisville. Of course, he coached Ballard to a state championship, a Division two national championship with the Knights, and he saw their transformation to D one and that Atlantic Sun Championship their first year at that level. I was at Freedom Hall three years ago when they won it, and they should have gone on to the Big Dance except for that horrible, inane anti student rule that the NCAA still cripples schools with when you make them move up to A D one to D D one from D two, that rule, like I guess the NCAA in general needs to go. But beyond coaching, Scotty one of the most and you know, I know, you know and anybody else who's met him, of the most positive, most motivational human beings you will ever meet. And he's a Louisville guy through and through, as are you. So when you think of Scotty? What comes to mind for you? You know what comes to mind right away?
Speaker 1: What might have happened at U of l if instead of Kenny Payne and who I elect greatly as a person. What might have happened if U l had hired Scotty, who you know took the high road said, I'm not interested. You know, if they had turned to him, he would have run down Waterson Expressway to take that job. What might have happened now Kelsey wouldn't be there right now. But I don't believe Cardinal Nation or whatever they call him, says, would have suffered for two years as they did under Kenny.
Speaker 7: Completely agree. He spoke to us at the Louisville Roadary about a year ago. No notes, and you're laser focused on every word, he says. If you ever ever have the chance to hear Scotty speak for five minutes, fifteen whatever, Yeah, don't miss the opportunity, you know, because you've seen him and you've worked with him for a long time.
Speaker 1: But well, he's been on the show and he will be again at some point, I hope soon. So, but I hope he gets a little bit of a vacation. First, he is Gary Moore. He is our West End Bureau chief, and we're going to talk more with Gary on the other side of the break. Some hot reeds coming his way on the big Boon Sider six thirty wlap. Welcome back. We're talking our west ENDBUA chief, Gary Moore. He mentioned earlier during two Guys in a six Pack the situation at NC State firing a coach eleven months, not even a year removed from the final four. That's one of our hot reads. Kevin keats eight seasons in Raleigh, but he's done, dismissed. On Sunday, just before Gary, the ACC Network rolls out a documentary about last year's season called why Not Both of course men's and women's teams both make the Final four. Now, when that word first came out, of course, there was a bit of an uproar. What how can you fire a guy who was just off the final four? But quite frankly, he and I'm glad he got his buyout money. But he was about to get fired anyway, wasn't he. Yeah?
Speaker 7: Last year, right, and before they went on this run, there was a word that you got to get you better get through this tournament some way, somehow. I just loved his line though. On Sunday I am officially entering the portals.
Speaker 1: That was great.
Speaker 7: You know, there's a guy right there who's not too serious.
Speaker 1: About it all I know. But n C State, you know, and I realize they're going to play third fiddle forever to Carolina and Duke. But they've had their moments, they've won national titles. For crying out loud, they should not be rated one twenty four on Ken Palm, behind Middle Tennessee and Jacksonville State. They lost nine straight this year. Not only that, in the ACC, with you know a zillion teams, fifteen teams get to the tournament, the conference tournament not so fast in C State. You know, you don't get a Lifetime Achievement award for last year's final four. They'ren to make the ACC tournament field. So he's got to sit down and look at, you know what what got him to the final four and figure out how can I do that again? Not just a hot hand.
Speaker 7: That's one of a lot of primo openings. You know, we got Indiana that's going to be opening up. He's at Florida State down there, of course Murray, we mentioned that, but there's a few of those out there. That's a primo. That's a great gig.
Speaker 1: And more to come now, yep, no doubt.
Speaker 7: Of course.
Speaker 1: Our second hot read for mister Gary Moore, Steph Curry, who has a job, and a highly paid one at that, and he's really good at it, now has another job. He is essentially the assistant general manager and air quotes or maybe not air quotes. Had his alma mater of Davidson that was the only team of a give him a scholarship. Other schools allowed him or would have allowed him to walk on. He said no, I'm a scholarship guy, and he got one. And boy is David isn't happy about that, and so are the Golden State Warriors. Well now his school, which is in the A ten, needs nil help. So they went out and hired this guy, Steph Curry, to be an assistant general manager. And that's part of a trend. Now is this to trendy Gary or is this the future? And is Steph Curry going to lower big time talent to Davidson? I also wonder is stef gonna contribute? I won't say donate, but contribute to the nil, cause I.
Speaker 7: Would think you're right on all of those accounts. I think it's a great idea. Well, we're seeing what's going on in college football with a lot of the general managers because you've got such a huge bunch of players, are huge rosters to deal with to get these guys in there, and the coaches like I can't do it. Somebody needs to go and check out some of these guys. And what the money that talk to the agents. I got ex's and o's to deal with over heareh and a smaller scale. That's what basketball is going to be, you know has come to and I completely agree with that is a great idea. Holy cow with the greatest shooter of all time, and all of a sudden I flashed on, Wow, if Pete Mayrovitch was still around, would he do the same thing down at LSU.
Speaker 1: Maybe Kentucky steps in line. We'll see. But to your point, ten miles down the road in Chapel Hill, Bill Belichick hired Michael Lombardi. Yeah right, you know who was a former NFL general manager. Now he's the GM at U n C. So I do believe this will be a trend. I think it's going to start rolling really quickly.
Speaker 7: I think you almost have to. I think it's it's it's, you know, definitely a necessity now with all the money and with all the agents and with all yeah, right, it is. It's part of the deal.
Speaker 1: Well, part of our deal. Every week is talking to Gary Moore. You can see him on Twitter.
Speaker 7: Or x at still a little too close at the profile picture that's at nine to five five Gary, same joint we find you at at Big Blue Insider one.
Speaker 1: Enjoy the tournaments, my friend.
Speaker 7: You two buddy.
Speaker 1: Thanks, that's going to do it. Thanks to Gary, Thanks to John Claygan. Congratulations of being inducted into the US Basketball Writers Association Hall of Fame. Thanks to Sean Woods, one of the many players John has covered through the years. And enjoy the tournaments, everybody. That's it. Good night from the garage and Lexington.
Speaker 7: Three Finals. Because Google mill.
Speaker 6: Any type statue tact contacting anything only sacked sectsthing left to lack them from typing, doning