Speaker 1: Welcome to Skin and Soul. I'm Gwenhemkarsley, a transformational body, sex and Soul coach, and I'm inviting you on a bold, unfiltered journey into the heart of our humanity through the lens of arrows. This is where we strip away the shame, dive into the unspoken, and embrace the wild.
Speaker 2: Raw truth of our desires.
Speaker 1: Together, we'll crack open the taboo and cover our deepest intimacies and awaken the pulse of our sexual essence. Because real transformation it's messy, it's thrilling, and it's oh so delicious.
Speaker 2: Buckle up, loves.
Speaker 1: Skin and Soul Beyond the Pale starts.
Speaker 2: In three two one. Let's go.
Speaker 3: Hello and welcome back.
Speaker 2: I'm Gwenhem.
Speaker 3: I'm your host of Skin and Soul Beyond the Pale, and today we're going to be talking about heartache, the loneliness, pandemic, the things that we never get to fully digest, the loves that linger and the wounds that settle into the body, the stories that we keep feeding or keeping alive after they've stopped nourishing us. So I'm really lucky to have today with me. Ben Ufana, thank you for being here who is a healer, a teacher, and an author who has spent at least thirty five of his very young years doing the things that most of us spent our lives out running and avoiding.
Speaker 4: So welcome Ben, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: I have spent the day with you quite literally just kind of absorbing your energy and your work, which is really beautiful and magical. And I think where I'd love to start is a little bit about your.
Speaker 2: Journey and.
Speaker 3: The Vision Quest, because explaining what the vision quest is and how you kind of came to it.
Speaker 5: Sure, initially from a very early age, I was drawn to Native Americans and fascination continue to grow in to adolescence. When I first learned about the traditional Native doctors, I decided, if given the opportunity, this is what I'll do with my life. Took off on my own at seventeen, landed in a community predominantly Kiaway Indians, was sitting up all night in the teepees with the native elders and is in one of these pyote meetings I met my mentor, or as Dalkeye. This is one of the last surviving traditional Kiahway doctors that time. In the apprenticeship he transmitted portions of his own healing gifts. And typically what is involved is you go through the vision quest, which generally involves the four days and nights without food and water alone in the mountains in order to earn the right to work with those gifts of healing. And although I missed a number of years in my twenties in my wandering alone in the desert phase, metaphorically, at thirty one, I started going back. And since that time, I've been going And this is like over thirty years ago. Now I'm older, I look and just spring and fall like clockwork.
Speaker 3: Because yeah, and what brings you what keeps you going back? So when you tell when you speak of a vision quest, first of all, what is the process? Like, what brings you there to do the vision quest?
Speaker 5: Initially I was thinking about how are reflecting on how a lot of these traditional native doctors they were developed extraordinary gifts of healing and other capabilities that range into the paranormal. And I was thinking, hey, if I need to go back, this is how these individuals became so extraordinarily powerful and and so I was feeling that pull and I reached out to a friend back in Oklahoma and I was living in New Mexico, and I said, sure, come on out. And I remember the first time I was back in Oklahoma to go on the vision quest and I was on the in the witch Tap Mountains and I was woefully unprepared to sleeping bag that was grossly inadequate. I was freezing my ass off and fortunately it didn't rain that time. But literally I felt as though I was waiting to die at one point, and I was having the traumas, the traumatic memories of early childhood just flooding back into my awareness and in it even in subsequent vision quests that happened numerous times where events that lift experiences were flooding back, and all the vivid sensory impressions, all the emotions, the thoughts that were occurring at the time, oh, that was coming back. And it's like I could feel this presence working within my body, helping me to digest what I had experienced, and this new foundation was gradually taken shape. Which now this has played a hugely important part in my own healing process because so much of the trauma of the dysfunction that I internalized that was playing out in my relationships. I was caught in the cycle of re enactingment and so it was through the Vision Quest that that started to dismantle, to come apart, and that new foundation developed.
Speaker 3: Because I know you talk about having gone through some toxic relationships and so on. So when you went to do the Vision Quest and all of this wounding was coming up all like you just said, your traumas were showing up, and I'm like, I'm going why on earth would somebody want to do that? How was that experience for you? To move through it before and after?
Speaker 5: At the time, it could be excruciating. And part of it too was you know, before I started going back to do the Vision Quest, like as I said, my mentor had transmitted portions of his healing gifts to me, and I parked myself in college for a few years. I needed to reassemble myself because the training was really extreme. He would do things like at one point he dropped me off in the middle of the Hopee Indian Reservation said hitchlike to Las Vegas. Make it the best you can. And that was traumatic so extent. You know, at twenty to go through that and being in survival mode.
Speaker 4: But as it's come in time for.
Speaker 5: Graduation, then it's like, wow, you know, college financial aid's running out. I actually have to support myself. And when I started working with other people and that transmission, that gift was awakening, a lot of that trauma was surfacing, and I was caught in the cycle of reenactment, and so the emotions that surface at that time were debilitating, is incapacitating, I could hardly get out of bed, is excruciating. Yet instinctively I taught myself to dive into the depths of what was coming up in those moments. I mean, I did go through a few years of psychotherapy that was extraordinarily helpful to give me the much needed intellectual understanding of why was the mess I was and the dysfunction playing out?
Speaker 4: But the patterns were continuing.
Speaker 5: I continue to attract the same type of individual, the same kinds of emotions kept resurfacing. So it was by teaching myself to go into the depths of these emotions that and I would sometimes breathe into the depths of what I was feeling for hours on end, but at a certain point I could feel it breaking open and coming out of my body in waves. And as that happened, there was these powerful emanations of warmth that were beginning to emerge from within, and so it was breaking dissolving those unhealthy attachments. And so my attachment or fixation to someone who was not a good match, and there were a few that had either borderline narcissistic tendencies or even issues with alcohol and other substances, those attachments were dissolving. But the thing is, the wounding was so deep, and that's when I really started exploring, which is what I encourage people who do. In addition to working with this practice, we need to be incorporating the most effective therapeutic interventions to facilitate the healing that we cannot fully do on our own. And then again at thirty one, when I start feeling that pool to go back to do the vision quest, that has been the most powerful as far as I dismantling, taking apart this deeply ingrained patterns that were we developed these for lack of a better term, configurations. You know, it's like the lived experiences and the emotions, the thought processes, everything just it solidifies within our bodies. And where so many people get into trouble too, is the fact that the vast majority of people have never learned to work effectively with their own emotions.
Speaker 4: And so the tendencies we deny.
Speaker 5: We suppress, we distract ourselves, we do everything we can, Like I don't want to go there. I don't want to feel that we pour ourselves out of it. But that the wounding, the trauma, the emotions, everything resides in our body. And it's hard word, and I found it's essential to have the combination of both. Like like, I studied hypnosis for a few years and I kind of got distracted from that deep emotional processing I described, and I would go to the mountain and that despite all that power, a lot of it was bouncing off of me because I was so armored. But then I just that instinctual knowing pulled me back. It's like, no, go back and do your practice.
Speaker 3: We have to want to though, like, and I think that's the thing, like when I think about, you know, my own journey, which also started probably pretty young, where I started just having that calling for some form of healing, which I think many people are like, I don't know anything about healing, or I don't you know, or even in the thought of I want to heal, I always wonder, you know, whether that's I think people initially think they want to heal, but there's a lot of work.
Speaker 2: That goes into it.
Speaker 3: And so when it comes to things like we're really talking about attachment here, like being attached to whether it's a person or a story or a dream or whatever it is that's causing us to suffer in some capacity. Right, But even when we say we want to heal, we have this attachment to not letting go of even the suffering. And so it does like you going to the mountain every year or twice a year and to do the vision quest. And I think just to give people context, right, you go, you fast for four days, there's no water, there's no food, You're in extreme kind of conditions. I love that you were thrown to Las Vegas. I go on the trip, right, part of me is like what did you learn on that trip?
Speaker 2: Like not I'm never coming and doing this again.
Speaker 3: But for most people it's like how do I do?
Speaker 2: You know? How do I stay in this?
Speaker 3: Because most people are like, oh my god, you know now I've got to be with myself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that's so crucial because whatever we deny or suppress or disconnect from, we carry it. You know, there's no way that you're going to get rid of it. It's it's parts of us split off. They operate from the subconscious mind. There's sometimes there's a deadening of parts of self that and eventually they they manifesto some kind of illness or pathology. I don't I'll say everything you're carrying is going to manifest is in the illness. But that often is the case. And I see that in the work I do with people, especially as people are growing older their forties and fifties, sixties and on, our bodies are not quite as resilient as they were, say when we were in our teens and twenties or even thirties. So I'm working with people with stroke and heart disease, and all this residual is like leaking out, just rage and anger and grief and so much so and.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden, And I do think, you know, I look at my mom now, who is eighty four, and I do have this theory that what we don't deal with kind of amplifies as we get older.
Speaker 2: So we haven't dealt with the rage.
Speaker 3: If you haven't dealt with the sadness or the grief or whatever it is, that somehow it houterized is itself or I don't know if that's the right word, or crystallizes in our bodies in a way and it cements in our personalities and shows up that way. I find, you know, like witnessing multitude of people just as they get older, if they're not like dealing with their shit, that it's the impact of life itself is like just becomes solidified and they're like, this is just what it is, right, and it's and it's always like, no, there's there is a path, but it's not an easy path.
Speaker 4: Not at all.
Speaker 3: No, No, And I wanted to ask you because because I what today when I was watching around COVID, because I think COVID was one of those moments in our history where we are we were forced to sit with ourselves and this like this deep I think there was so much deep loneliness going on, uh and people having to sit with themselves. And I wonder whether people walked away from that richer like I have to wake up, there's something else that I need to do with my life, with myself or whether you know, people have gone back and even like more hardcore have distracted themselves with which is with distraction right now, it can be anything, AI am. You know, we're on our we're on our phones, we're at work, and I'm just wondering what you think, what you think about that.
Speaker 5: Let's address that, and let's come back to the importance of real facing ourselves because because both need to be And now, what what I found is before COVID, I taught classes on a weekly basis, and but there is over time there was people were showing up less and less and like let's say, when I first started offering classes, maybe eighty percent of sixty to eighty percent of people who are SVP would show up, and it went down to twenty or thirty percent, And then when COVID happened, even coming out of lockdown, it's yeah, much less so. And so there are a lot of concerns with that people are less apt to show up in person. And it's not just COVID. There are so many things. COVID just put the accelerator through the floor on the direction we were already having the fact that we're relying more on texting as opposed to picking up the phone and calling or showing up in person, which is even better that I feel it is tragic that so many people are reliant on dating apps. We cannot engage with the people in our immediate proximity. And because we're relying so much on apps and texting and everything, you know, it's there's less and less of us present, engaged and we're missing these critically important developmental processes that we need to experience, that we need to go through, which is so much of our learning. And you know, because there's a lot of trial and error, a lot of learn as we go that happens through direct engagement, and the fact that we have these apps and this illusion of endless possibility that it contributes to this devaluation of the individuals that we would meet, that we would connect with, that we would partner with. And there's much more of a sense of disposability.
Speaker 3: Yeah, such an epectification right now of life itself. There's no real sense of accountability because you can break up with somebody over a text, not having to witness, like you said, you used to have to pick up the phone, or even better, in person, and which brings in the human element of Oh, you have to deal with yourself either way on either side of the coin, right, whether it's the person receiving or the person giving the news. And I think you know, in talking going into parts of heartache or loneliness, we're no longer being able to sit in that in a deep way. It's kind of like there's one side of the coin that's just not even being witnessed by any It's just it's such a solitary place to be, and then we just go distract ourselves with something else, that shiny object.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and a lot of times we form attachments to people, and a lot of people are many of us. I didn't for some time, and many still don't understand that much of the population is not really what you call growth oriented. They don't have that petis or that internal driver commitment like to better themselves, to better ourselves, and so they just go through life in ways that are they're creating messes and they leave messes. They don't deal with things, and they disconnect. And it's.
Speaker 3: What do you think makes you different than my curiosity? Is what makes you different from the average person who's going along? Like, what do you think the seed was within you that made you go like I.
Speaker 2: Feel this deeply or I.
Speaker 3: Want more than where I'm sitting in this moment, like, what makes you know? Because there's so much mass out there that always surprises me if they're like this just the way that that life is, I've never questioned a thing, and I'm always like, really, so what do you think for you that that seed is?
Speaker 5: There are different aspects of it. One is I was not one of these individuals who is able to compartmentalize, to suppress or disconnect and think to myself, Oh, everything's cool, it's all fine, and just move along.
Speaker 4: I was so consumed.
Speaker 5: By the overwhelming and even at times excruciating emotions that I could not escape from it. And also it was being reflected back to me in relationships that were not working. And maybe if there's someone who's quite beautiful or handsome or something, and because of their appearance they could still attract or whatever it's there's still somebody going to be interested in them, no matter how is it.
Speaker 4: Okay to use it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, anything, no matter how fucked up they are. Just yeah, because of their beauty or handsome, they're still going to attract. And there's but it's going to be attracted to him. It wasn't working that way for me, and and so to have that continually reflected back to me, And so there was a profoundly deep desire to well two things. One, the pain I was excluish experiencing was so torturous at times that Okay, I got to get to myself, get myself to a place where I'm no longer living like this. I mean, I cannot continue to live like this.
Speaker 4: I have to.
Speaker 5: I have to heal if I'm going to continue to exist in this body on this planet, you know. And so I don't off myself or something.
Speaker 4: That was. I mean I did.
Speaker 3: When you say that, But that's real, right when the pain is that acute. Yeah, And again, you know, I'm somebody who grew up with a mother who's very depressive, full of anxiety, and through that I had carried a lot of you know, wounding within me. So I think I had a similar like just carrying a lot of emotion and wounds and grief and not knowing what it was, not knowing how to deal with it, and then leaking it out and seeking toxic relationships and and in life. And then there's that moment where you sat down and you said, like, I don't want to live this way, right, I want different which to me speaks to resilience by the way, like I just see you and I'm like, oh, yeah, that's really resilient.
Speaker 2: Because then again, you know, I'm going.
Speaker 3: To my poor mother was no say in what I say about her here at all. Bless her, but she never had that desire.
Speaker 2: She did have a desire to seek help.
Speaker 3: But ironically, like for her, it was oh, let's take the pill, right, like when we talk about addictions or you know, like for her, it was about numbing the pain. And I think part of when we talk about sitting with yourself right, it's it's it's to get to the place where.
Speaker 2: You're not numbing.
Speaker 3: And you were able through this I guess your initial vision quest, which is probably a big hurricane to you.
Speaker 2: I bige that moment, and yet.
Speaker 3: You continued on that path where most people are doing everything not to feel.
Speaker 5: Also, there's a profound shame that came with because we all have a certain amount of blindness or dysfunction. And so for me, when I would form those attachments, especially if there was like someone was unavailable or disinterested or they were really dysfunctional, was causing me evoking a lot of painful emotion. The shame the humiliation, and so there was like seeing myself reflected back to me through those relationships, and so there's this understanding like there's work to do.
Speaker 4: And another thing.
Speaker 5: Too is I feel acutely I'm not in pain like that, and which you can see the way I was laughing about even the times when I had suicidal ideation like years and years ago.
Speaker 4: But there's still like if something.
Speaker 5: Like if I'm seeing something reflected back to me through a relationship and it's evoking these distressing emotions, it's like, Wow, there's work to do, and there's a profound desire to be the best version of myself. And I think that's so important going into relationship too, because there's a lot of people who are just content to in a sense, let themselves go. And I have this curiosity about people, and I just just watch and how people live their lives and how things play out. And I don't know, maybe someone like David Lee Roth, you know, Van Halen's vocalist. I'm not a fan, but but you see how we just partied wildly and just you know, and you look at him now and whereas I admire like having trained with a traditional Native American doctor, a master from China, people in the hindu Vedic lineages, and watching these individuals how they, through intensive daily practice, hours of intensive daily practice, continue to transform and develop themselves. And so this is what I admire, this is what I aspire to, and so that's a big part of what's kept me going through the vision quest. But there's I feel a sense of aliveness, and like I can feel the heaviness when when I'm triggered emotionally or when I'm put in touch with something inside of me that I'm carrying. And again there's the desire to better myself. I don't know that I have the full explanation for it, because I recognize that.
Speaker 4: And and I.
Speaker 5: Have it reflected back or I see it all the time in the work I do with people. A lot of people come to me, you know, they approach me as if I'm Jesus sometimes and how there want I want to heal, will you help me? And then when you really get down into it, you see how many people flake and they'll go this deep and maybe they'll stay long enough. Just because I'm working with people who suffered heart disease and stroke and digestive disorders collidis and Crown's disease and a wide range of issues autoimmune disorders, and I see people's bodies actually healing, but we're getting down into that all that yuckiness that dysfunction, and but there's symptoms are clearing up, but we're getting down into that stuff, and they're they're like, I'm cool now, see you, bye bye, and maybe they surface at some point later.
Speaker 3: Well, there's probably you know, digesting takes time, right, and everybody has their own their own timeline. So you know, going through getting to that level of healing where you start to see the body healing and then somebody leaving, it's either getting too close. It's either like too much in terms of the of the overwhelm, or someone just go, yeah, I'm good for now, because not everyone is.
Speaker 2: Probably I have, you.
Speaker 3: Know, people in my life all the time that's saying like, I don't want to be on a healing path all the time. I don't always want to be feeling like I'm getting in there. I don't always want to be in the trenches, especially when you're going through it for extended periods of time, because that that requires a certain personality I would imagine personality.
Speaker 5: Maybe I think part of it too, was because the worst of it hit me. I mean, there were some periods that got really bad along the way, but I had so much hitting me initially that was so difficult, so excruciating that and having to go through that, And there's a there's this knowing based upon experience that every time I face whatever comes at me and whatever is triggered elicited inside of me, I'm that much more connected.
Speaker 4: To my source.
Speaker 5: I feel that much more alive, I'm that much more capable, empowered. There's more clarity, the quality of my relationships improving. And so when we teach ourselves, condition ourselves to continually move towards that which we have resisted, there's more and more of that aliveness and that connectedness to your deep innercore being in the higher power.
Speaker 3: I think, the more you can face your demons, or the more demons that come up that you can sit and stay with, yeah, the more life clears up for you, so to speak. And as like you know, we were talking about relationships and reflections like right to me, like somebody, if I keep showing up in relationships where the other person is quote unquote fucked up, that that to me is a direct reflection of like how messed up I am, And I use these words like, you know, loosely. But wherever we are is we're showing up in our lives to show us what we're missing, what we're.
Speaker 2: Where we need to grow.
Speaker 3: Right, If I'm in a state of abandonment, right that we have a b then there's a belief system within me that is allowing it somehow mm hmm.
Speaker 4: And there is yes.
Speaker 5: And there is a lot of tolerance too. You know, a lot of people can drink heavily, and they developed this alcohol tolerance when I was in high school smoking weed, and you show up in class and you get to where you could smoke weed and function. I don't smoke or I don't I'm not doing any substances and clean for many many years.
Speaker 4: Never did abuse that heavily anyway.
Speaker 5: But but even with our emotions, you know, in facing what needs to be dealt with, when we set our intention and we just go in and do it. There's a warrior society among the Kia was quite synco and they would charge into the midst of the battle and they would stake an arrow that was attached to a sash that looped around their neck. They would stay and fight till all the enemy was killed, had retreated. On one of their comrades picked up the arrow handed to him, they would free to write off. They would not retreat no matter what. And there is that courage. Native elders said that when you go on the vision quest, whatever comes you face it, you deal with it. A friend of mine, his father did multiple tours of Vietnam, and we were talking one day and his father just used those very words, despite all the hell he was going through, face it, deal with it. And I've just built that tolerance over time, just condition myself.
Speaker 4: I still and we're all going to do this.
Speaker 5: We're going to react at times, so we're going to become really resistant.
Speaker 3: Well, because we also build a tolerance on the other side, Right, we can build a tolerance and heartache. We can build a tolerance inside loneliness, and so much so that there's an addictive quality to staying in the heartache, to staying in the loneliness, to staying in the numbness, in the disconnection. So because the other is the is the discomfort, right of absolutely feeling and facing it. I mean, I can imagine that many people who went through any kind of war, be it the Vietnam War or any other war, and a lot of them came out with PTSD. So when we say like, face it right, you're talking about bodies that are holding on to so much trauma that barely function right that they can barely so, so, you know, teaching somebody to stay with it is a whole other, whole other kind of worms I would imagine to be able to stay with that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And there are a lot of issues around capacity. You know, for instance, I knew nothing about it initially, and yet in my late twenties I started having mostly women and some men, for instance, with histories of childhood sexual trauma. And I remember the first time this woman I'm allergic to beastings and I had stopped by this shop to kids some kind of what do you have that can help you with this? Because I didn't want to do pharmaceuticals, And I told her what I did, I want to try that, and she was first session, she was crying profusely, and she was accessing memories. She had been in psychotherapy for a decade and there are years of memory that were completely blocked out, no access. First session, she's accessing it. And she, like many people, have limited what I call processing capacity that we develop this this term I use infrastructure that enables us to process, to digest, or lift experiences and emotional responses to what we experience. And to a large extent, for many people, especially if they've suffered extensive trauma, or if they've spent much of their life avoiding or distracting, it fails to develop. And so I have to I'm able to have developed these highly empathic capabilities. Look, I see and I feel what's going on in people's bodies, where they're at emotionally, what they're carrying, what trauma, the backlog of emotion in so many people. In addition, they don't have that infrastructure, those faculties to really process. So in the course of working with people at presence, working through me, I work is it conduit, as indigenous healers have done for centuries. It's taking all that lived experience and emotion, it's transforming, transmuting it. They're going to something into a profoundly deep dream state. They're digesting with their carrying, the experience, the emotions. It's building this foundation, this infrastructure that never developed, and they're developing this resilience, this capacity to to process, to digest whatever comes up, whatever they encounter in their life. They become more highly functional. And I had to do that as well. I had What often happens is many people they're starting out, there's this backlock of all this life history, all these lived experiences people have gone through, like all kinds of things in their life that were some things traumatic, all kinds of adversity, relationships that have blown up. There's a whole range of experience. And because we shut it down, so much of number selves, so much of that's living inside of us, and then all the emotional backlog surrounding it, and then those faculties are not developing that would enable them to.
Speaker 4: Do the deep level processing of all that.
Speaker 5: And when they do get triggered, then they find themselves overwhelmed. And all that stuff we carry creates barriers that diminish our capacity to love and to be loved, to be present with a partner, to experience that depth of intimacy, to fully open up sexually on all these different levels.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 5: What I've found is like, initially I've found myself overwhelmed. It was blowing me out of water. I was consumed by all this pain. And but as I kept doing the deep work, the mass of pain was decreasing. Over time, there was less and then the really painful periods were becoming they were less in frequency. When they did occur, it was a shorter duration, and I had a greater digestive capacity. I could cycle through these things. And so there's you know, by doing this, I'm building resilience. This is what I work with people to help them, do you know, this continual building that foundation.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: So in terms of digesting, and I just want to make it clear because I think a thought that comes up for me often and talking about detaching and detaching is a word that's that's really been thrown around, just as like digesting and moving through heartache or painful experiences. What do you think the difference is and in your experience, in your lived experience, between truly digesting something and cutting yourself off from something, Because they can feel, I think from an outsider, you know, be something similar to be like oh yeah, I'm over that, or I don't. I'm not gonna you know, I'm good now. And yet there's still layers of armor, there's still layers of the scar tissue that isn't being dealt with, that isn't gotten into for for better, for my own words.
Speaker 5: Right now, detaching as you described, and digesting or near, we're nowhere close. And the detaching is often stems from limited capacity that many people lacking.
Speaker 4: The ability to do the deep level.
Speaker 5: Processing of their emotions, not having or not utilizing the additional external tools, the therapeutic interventions, for instance, they're not really processing. It's the relationship that they were in, the person they were involved with, the whole drama they went through evoked a lot of distressing emotion, left them hurt, devastated, left them quite wounded in many respects. And often what happens is people move from one relationship to the next, to the next to the next, and the wounds keep getting dug deeper. There's a thickening, there's a layering that.
Speaker 4: Occurs over time.
Speaker 5: And so what happens is they cut off, they disconnect, they stop contacting that person, the no contact for all all of these things. And yet so much of that lived experience and all that undigested emotion that was triggered elicted, it ain't gone anywhere. It stays within the body and it just accumulates, it builds up. It's in the tissues, it's in the organs, the cells, everywhere, and that's more that buffering, so that we attempt to go forward and we're more guarded, and we have more walls, more barriers, and we're even if we're not fully consciously aware of it, we're seeing through that filter of that wounding as we're interacting with whoever we encounter, someone that we might consider or that we're starting to become involved with, or that we're partnered with. And again a lot of people, what happens is there's that accumulation and it just builds up. I mean, I've worked on this every day. It's my own practice. I know most people are not going to do quite this much. I would encourage at least an hour of daily practice because if you go, you know, training with the Chinese master in the internal martial arts rooted in Taoism, with my mentor the Native doctor, those in the hindu Vedic and other lineages, in all these traditions, this is so commonplace. This is how they develop these profound capabilities. I can hindu Vedic tradition what they call self realization, and people argue, well, who has time for that? Well, what about all the time you spend scrolling on your devices and on your social media feeds, and I have.
Speaker 3: To want to I think that's the thing that comes up as is, you know when we talk about practice, and we talk about like going in there, and most people don't know what going in their means and what it means to feel into the body or even recognize their own scarring or recognizing I think, for for I'm going to say a general population, you know, it can be very overwhelming to go.
Speaker 2: Oh, a practice.
Speaker 3: So maybe just understanding what is a practice? What does a practice look like? That can be bite sized and digestible.
Speaker 5: I developed a whole series over the years depending on because you know, we face all kinds of challenges adversity in our life, people coming to me with wide range of health related issues and trauma and emotional wounding, whatever. But let me give the most basic practice one acknowledge what's happening, like if you're going through, say, if you're in the midst of a breakup, if someone ghosted you, if you're dealing with you're getting all kinds of mixed messages. This ambiguity, confusion, acknowledge what happens, how in do or is happening right now?
Speaker 4: Two?
Speaker 5: What do you feel in response to it? Is it sadness, grief, confusion, anger, frustration, uncertainty, all the above, and it's shifting.
Speaker 4: All over the place. Now what are you feeling in response to what happened? Three?
Speaker 5: Where are these feelings and sensations residing within your body? Are they in your throat, your abdomen, deep within the middle of your chest, or your heart and lungs reside? Where do you find them or maybe multiple locations, or bring as much awareness as you possibly can to what you're feeling. You're not observing it from a distance. You're getting inside of it. You experience it as fully as you possibly can. And yes, sometimes it can hurt like cow, But teach yourself. Acknowledge what's happening, What do you feel in response to it?
Speaker 4: Get as deep.
Speaker 5: Inside of it as you can, fully immersed your breathing, very softly. Breathe all the way down to your aptimen, expanding your aptimen, then your ribcage. Pause, briefly, exhale fully all the way out, Pause again, and continue the cycle. Just keep doing it, stay with the feelings, and sensations. They can intensify, become a lot more intense. Initially, it varies. Sometimes some things will start to dissolve rather quickly, even ten or fifteen five minutes.
Speaker 4: They may.
Speaker 5: Spread occupy more of your body. They may shift to other areas. Whatever they do follow them. It may go through a whole succession of feelings like to anger, to grief, to resignation, to letting go, to accept It.
Speaker 3: Will move right like there's this and naden's staying with it.
Speaker 2: That it does move.
Speaker 3: I think when most people get stuck is in their heads because it comes back to, well, I think that person did me wrong, that person did this right, that situation, I'm this as opposed to like staying within your body and like staying with the sensation.
Speaker 5: And that's a big thing too, because our minds will just real they starts obsessing about what that person said or did and what it all means, and we're going circles. And one of the things I taught myself to do is I've actually, metaphorically I've jumped out of myself, faced myself and just said, shut up, what are you feeling? What are the actual feelings? Get down back down into my body where the feelings reside, and or I would maybe be a little more gentle. I'd say, I know that we've already rehearsed that innumerable times, what are the actual feelings. Get inside your body where the feelings are, dive back into their depths and breathe. And it involves a lot of training, Like we're training ourselves where we have over many years, we've conditioned ourselves to flip out of our feelings into our head, to overly intellectualize everything. But the problem is we go into our heads and we're spinning and spinning, and I call it churning because we're up in our heads spinning away. And yet the emotions are building their churning in the body and it's creating a stronger emotional force. But we were in that disconnected, dissociated, stayed up in our heads, and then it's reinforcing that split, that disconnect, and it's it's fueling the helplessness, the addiction, the uh, you know, like trying desperately to make it right. And the more what I found is the more that I could catch myself, bring myself from that that spiraling and get down into my body and into the feelings and be chewing up and digesting what I'm going through. Then I start calming down and the crazy attachment fears start diffusing, and and I'm able to relax and let things flow more. And even if someone was being weird or ambiguous or whatever, it's like, okay, whatever, I'm not going to chase them.
Speaker 2: It's like, what does love mean to you? Now?
Speaker 3: Before we transition into into our final questions, I'm just going to ask you, like, what does love mean to you now?
Speaker 2: After all of this work for yourself?
Speaker 5: Love to me is just the closeness someone just being present with me. That there's because I've experienced much of my life where there there was when you carry so much wounding, so much trauma, and you go through a lot of your life and there's a lot of disconnect or mismatch and connection just wasn't happening. And then when you start healing this wounding, you know, as I said, I'm using my lift experience what it's reflecting to me and digesting my emotional response to it all. And then gradually, as this healing transformation is occurring, then I'm experiencing greater depth of intimacy than I ever did before, and so as that's happening, I'm feeling that this individual will being present with me, this person I'm connected with, that I'm partnering with, how much more connected I am to them, and just that feeling of intimacy or connection. I mean, it's one thing to hook up with someone. You could go on tender and you could go out and bank somebody tonight, but that's not necessarily connection. I mean it's physical intimacy. But when you have that deep emotional bond and you feel it touching you deeply, and.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and I think it's in when when the channels get clear and then it opens up for love to flow more freely, to have that that presence, that connection, that intimacy.
Speaker 5: And more continuity. Yeah, yeah, continuity. And and you're it increases that there's less of the crazy dysfunctional like you're more likely to. What I find is more of the kind of individual who has the capacity to sustain intimacy. They have a greater capacity, which is reflecting back the changes that I've experienced within myself.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Okay, I'm going to I'm just gonna shift us. I've got my ten questions to ask you before we go, We're going to try to do it within I don't know whatever seven minutes.
Speaker 2: Tell me?
Speaker 3: What is one truth your body has always known that your mind took years to catch up to.
Speaker 5: I just have to instead of spire in my head. It's like I need to get down into my body and digest to what I'm carrying, and then the clarity comes from it. We need both the intellectual understanding and the emotional But until I do the deep level processing the digestion, I'm not going to gain that deeper insight. I have to do the digestion first.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: What is the most intimate moment you've ever had that had nothing to do with sex?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 5: There are a few individuals that I've just spending time with them and that where I just have felt this profound closeness. And so there are a few people. And then also just I really bond with animals. And I've had numerous experiences with dogs that I've had, even stray dogs, and just other animals I've encountered along the way that just have really touched me. And I think as you do more and more this work, animals sense it and they feel drawn to you. And I like that they there's a way that there animals are not armored like people are.
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, yeah, I had mine. He's gone now right now? Yeah, but yes, thank you. If you could be remembered for one sensation you gave someone, what would it be.
Speaker 5: I think it would be more that sense of embodiment, that sense of well being, and especially that sense of the deep intimate bond. I'm feeling deeply bonded to me.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: If pleasure were a language, what would your first word be?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 3: If your erotic life had a title like a novel or a film, what would it be called?
Speaker 4: Mhm? I'm not sure to be honest.
Speaker 5: Wow, diving into the depths of intimacy and all its aspects?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: All it's many facets, all.
Speaker 2: Of its many facets. Thank you. I had one for you. Should I say it?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: Emergence?
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't know what I'm recalling your book, but I thought, oh, that might be.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: What is one thing you've never said out loud but you wish someone would ask you about?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 5: What haven't people asked me about? I'm pretty open, so so when people ask me about things, I just I'm pretty articulate. I won't share everything with everyone. It's like I can be very discerning because you know, when you grow up and with a narcissistic parent, there's a lot of things you don't share because you know they're going to take that and use that and distort it and manipulate it in some way. So I'm very intuitive who I share what with. But but if I sense that is and I do this being so empathic on a personal level, when I work with people, I'm always just kind of feeling and sensing, like what can this person here that I can share. So whenever I sense openness, and that's part of the impetus to grow and heal, it's that that ability to open and share, and it deepens our bond, it deepens the intimacy.
Speaker 2: Thank you. What is one part?
Speaker 3: What part of your erotic self are you still afraid to bring.
Speaker 2: To the light.
Speaker 4: I'm just thinking for a minute. You know, there's.
Speaker 5: There are parts I don't just that come out.
Speaker 4: With whoever wherever.
Speaker 5: Obviously you know it's there are a lot of times where I mean because I travel, I move around and still spending time in New York City, I'm gradually working myself out here. I stayed here in order to train with this master from China. So there are a lot of times I'm just around people. I'm with people and it's like there's a lot of myself I don't want to share. But when I'm with someone that I feel deeply connected to, I don't have any sense of holding back.
Speaker 4: It's like just I feel more and more comfortable.
Speaker 5: I mean, maybe some of it is maybe if I sense they're not ready or capable, you know, just there's a patience too. Okay, it's not quite there yet. So I'll give her time and if she catches up here, then I will allow more of these parts of me to come out. But I don't feel a sense of holding back as long as there's that we're matching on that level.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: What dies in you when you pretend and what comes alive in you when you don't.
Speaker 5: Anything that I'm suppressing or avoiding are not being completely honest about. And I feel that I have a very acute sense of where something's getting twisted up or constricting or contracting or deadening in some way, and it's like, oh yeah, it's like I hate that feeling. And so whenever I do feel that. It's like, how can I articulate that? I do think though. I mean, there are incidents. There's an incident on the subway some years ago where someone pushed me from behind.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 5: Yet there were three of them, and it's like, Okay, there are some things I would like to say, but I don't want to go up against these three, who are actually pretty well developed. I don't think I'm going to come out that well. And so I held back in that instance, and being spending a lot of time in Sri Lanka, much of that time in the former war zone, and knowing what people have gone through, close friends that have lost they're friends and immediate loved ones, and a lot of times they were just you know, it's almost like these kind of like please don't shoot me. And so they are instances where we face actual physical danger, you know, where we're just getting through those moments just to survive. I experienced some of that growing up.
Speaker 4: I mean there were some.
Speaker 5: Nobody was pointing a gun at me, but well, stepfather came around the side of the house with a butcher knife. I didn't know i'd survive that in that instance when I was dead. But yeah, there are I always look for those areas where I contract and as much as I can, It's like, how can I show up more fully in this moment?
Speaker 4: What can it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Thank you, Okay, finish this sentence. When I leave this life, I want my skin to remember.
Speaker 5: I think more of my focus is is having trained with this master from China for seventeen years and a Native American doctor, there's always this sense of like, all the work you do is to evolve so that when you reach the other side you're at a much higher level.
Speaker 4: And so there's this continual building.
Speaker 5: You see the yin yang symbol, and there's this emphasis on here we are in the body, and there's like our soul spirit that doesn't fully incarnate. So you're doing this practice to continually bring more the soul into your body. And with the soul and the body, there's this alchemy and so so for me, it's just this continual building. That's my thought, love what I live with all the time.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Last one, If the soul has a scent, what does your smell like today?
Speaker 4: Mmm? I really like the scent of a juniper.
Speaker 2: Mmm.
Speaker 5: That that grows. Oh, where I go to do the vision quest?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you for joining us today. And for anyone out there who would like to work with Ben, it's I'll let you say where they can reach you. I know you have several websites. There's ben ufana dot com and then you have several others.
Speaker 4: Right yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: And on my main website, benefana dot com there's a blog which at the top bar there's a tablets as articles, and so you can click on that and do a deep dive. A lot of in depth videos on YouTube. There's my website teach Me to Meditate dot com. I developed this whole extensive series of meditation practices that are all about becoming more and more embodied and you know, for instance, going deep into the intestines their deepest empathy. There's so much emphasis on the heart, but the deepest level of bonding actually comes from that abdominal area. So I teach people how to cultivate that abdominal awareness. And that's one and many. If you're in the midst of a devastating breakup, you've then ghost to divorce whatever. There's breakup first aid. It's getting you through, cycling you through the initial devastation, and a more deep dive is heal my heartache. So if you cycle through repeated disastrous relationships and one after another, you keep attracting the same kinds of individuals. Abandonment unrequired a lot of attachment wounds.
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 5: Much deeper dive and it's about healing and transforming yourselves. So you can find me on Instagram too. Yeah, so those are my contact details.
Speaker 3: Beautiful, Thank you, thank you, thank you for joining us. It was a beautiful conversation and thank you to everyone and I will see you again next week.
Speaker 1: Thanks, thank you for listening to Skin and Soul with Me, Gwenham Join me Fridays at ten AMPST and Transformation Talk Radio. Catch the podcast anytime on your favorite platforms. You can follow me on Instagram at lubology. Ready to Take the Next Step book a compatibility call with me at Gwenhemcarsley dot com.