Speaker 1: Welcome to the Three Martini Lunch.
Speaker 2: Grab a stool next to Greg Corumbus of Radio America and Jim Garritty of National Review.
Speaker 1: Free martinis coming up.
Speaker 2: Erry, Glad you're with us for the Tuesday edition of the Three Martini Lunch, and we thank you for being patient through two consecutive episodes where there are no good martinis, so to reward you all good martinis today, and we did not have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for these. These are three genuinely good martinis for you today. We've got a brand new conservative president on the way in Chile, down in South America, and it's fun watching how the media describes a conservative elected anywhere these days, but especially down there. We'll get into that. We'll also be taking a look at a new poll out of Minnesota and looking at how the citizens of Minnesota view Tim Walls and this welfare fraud scandal out there. But first of just a moment, we'll be talking about the FBI breaking up a New Year's Eve bombing plot in Los Angeles and so all of that in just a second. First, we want to tell you about dose, because you know what's easier than fixing a problem not having the problem in the first place. And your liver is one of those organs you don't think about until you have to, and then it could be big trouble. So supporting it daily is one of those small things that can make a huge difference in how you feel. And that's where dose for your Liver comes in. It's a clinically backed liver health supplement. Tastes like fresh squeezed orange juice. Just take a shot of it every morning. Tastes great, zero sugar, no junk, no calories, and most importantly, it cleanses your liver.
Speaker 1: Your liver processes everything you consume and performs more than five hundred daily functions for your body. We're talking about energy production, digestion, fat metabolism, vitamin storage, and when your liver is overworked, your body is going to feel it. But once you start drinking dose daily, you're going to reduce that sluggishness, you're going to get rid of those midday crashes, you're going to improve your metabolism, and it could even aid your daily digestion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really does help. And so if you're ready to give your liver the support it deserves, had to dose daily DOT co slash three mL or enter three mL to get thirty five percent off the first month of your subscription. Your body does so much for you, let's do something for it. That's d O S E D A I L Y dot co slash three mL for thirty five percent off your first month's subscription. All right, Jim on to our first good martini. And this is a big one. The FBI announcing that it has thwarted a terrorist plot aimed for New Year's Eve in Los Angeles. We know about terrorist plots on Christmas Eve in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Sorry, you maybe me to it. But that's okay. Goods fine, it's good news. We're not even gonna need any more FBI guys. Good they got the job done. Good job everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these FBI guys are great. This is from Pambondi, the Attorney General. After an intense investigation, the Department of Justice, working with our FBI, prevented what would have been a massive and horrific terror plot in the Center District of California, which is Orange County and Los Angeles. The Turtle Island Liberation Front, a far left pro Palestine, anti government and anti capitalist group, was preparing to conduct a series of bombings against multiple targets in California beginning on New Year's Eve. The group also planned to target ice agents and vehicles. This was an incredible effort by our US Attorney's offices and the FBI to ensure Americans can live in peace. We will continue to pursue those terror groups and bring them to justice. FBI Director Cash Pattel, also pointing out that a fifth person was arrested in New Orleans in connection to this plot, and they basically had footage of these people casing out a building at San Bernardino, backpacks with complicated improvised explosive devices. You're going to leave it here. This is where they're going to be detonated, and that sort of thing. So they're basically going through dry runs. And so it looks like there's plenty of evidence to show that this was in fact a plot, and thankfully, thank goodness, that this was thwarted.
Speaker 1: It seems greg this is gonna be a strangely global edition of our podcast because it feels like as we get closer to Christmas, you and I make a lot of die hard jokes and we enjoy them, and I think our audience enjoys them and nobody loves them more than our guest Tebbie Troy. But all in all, like you'd rather not have to think about terrorism at a time like this, And we saw the awful events in Australia, we saw the mass shooting at Brown University, where the shooter is as of this recording still at large. And now thankfully we got to see counter terrorism working the way it's meant to that the authorities managed to detect the plot and managed to wrap it up before they were able to do anything. Had there been New Year's Eve and we started seeing bombs going off, just would have been absolutely awful. And I think particularly in the years after nine to eleven, we started thinking about that. How Christmas markets, as we've seen over in Europe, we've seen various plots, attempts and forms of harassment and things like that going over there. This is the time of year we're supposed to be able to enjoy ourselves. We're supposed to be with our family and our loved ones and not have to worry about these things. And you know, thankfully, good thanks to the good work of the FBI here it has come to pass. In La and Hopefully things will be smooth sailing between now and Christmas Day and New Year's But you know, unsurprisingly people like to get together in large groups, they like to revel. New Year's Eve celebrations are a very big, easy, soft target. Obviously, these folks sound like they're going to go after ice vehicles and ice facilities and things like that. But just once again, good work FBI, and hopefully the rest of the year is quiet. I think we've learned not to count any chickens before they hatch. No, that's exactly Turtle Islands on our turtles and Turtle Island for that matter.
Speaker 2: You know what we heard in the wake of nine to eleven, and probably even before that that you know, the law enforcement side, prevention side has to be right every time. The terrorists only have to succeed once, and so chances are as time goes on, since this didn't happen, or it's unlikely that it's going to happen now that it's been thwarted and arrest have been made here, you know, as time goes on, we might not remember this specific plot, but we've had a number of plots broken up this year, and I'm sure every year most of which we don't even hear about, and others which we don't think about that much longer because they didn't happen. But these things pile up. This is the job that our law enforcement does. Obviously responding to ones that unfortunately do happen as another part of the job. But the more these you can pile up, the better job you're doing, because nobody gets hurt, nobody gets killed. Good job. All right, Well, let's talk about QUO because if your business is struggling, or even if your business is thriving, it can always do better. And one of the reasons that your business needs to get ahead is because people are calling you. People might be trying to reach out to you, trying to become a customer, but are you there to take the call. And missing a business call, well, that could not only mean losing money for your business, it could also mean your competitor gets that business instead, and that's like watching money fly out the window. And that's why today's episode is also brought to you by quote spelled quo. It's the smarter way to run your business.
Speaker 1: Communications Quote is not just a phone system, it's a smart system. A built in AI will log your calls, write up summaries, and even help set up the next steps. And for some reason you can't answer the phone. Quos Ai agent can. It'll qualify your leads, It'll route the calls to the right person, and make sure that no customer is ever left hanging. So even after hours, Quote has your back. It'll keep the lights on so you can actually sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Quotes the number one business phone system. You can try it for free when you go to Quote dot com slash threeml. That's Quo dot com slash threeml. And you can even keep your existing number quot No missed calls, no missed customers. All right, Jim, on to our second good martini now. And for that, we had to election results over the weekend. South of the Equator. Down in Chile, we've already got a liarian minded president in Javier Malay. In Argentina, Bolivia has also shifted to a right leaning leader, and now Chile has done the same. This guy's name is Jose Antonio cast and the New York Times headline says conservative wins resoundingly in Chile's presidential election. Every other headline I saw in googling this story Jim was far right. Far right wins in Chile excessive sharp turns to the right, which I think was even mentioned here in the New York Times story. A conservative candidate was elected Chile's president on Sunday, a sharp right word swing for a country where voters have grown deeply concerned about security and illegal immigration. So why is this a sharp right word turn or far right as other outlets are saying, Well, mister cast fifty nine is a father of nine with ideological roots and conservative Roman Catholicism and economic neoliberalism. Had campaigned on a tough on crime platform with echoes of President Trump's political approach, promising to deport undocumented migrants and build a barrier along Chile's extensive northern border. How do they describe the candidate that he beats. Her name is Janette Jara or maybe Haara in Spanish, the candidate for the center left oh and also a member of the Communist Party. It was fifty eight to forty two on the ballot, and so Jim another media both here in the US and around the world, it's like a sliding scale about where the far right starts on the political spectrum. Pretty sure, you know conservative, Catholic, economic conservative, tough on crime. That sounds pretty standard conservative to me, and I like it.
Speaker 1: Well, look, is this guy a traditional in a lot of ways? Yes, you mentioned the nine kids. I understand he'll be starting for the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday. And also when you say this guy is the center left candidate who's a member of the Communist Party, I mean in New York City, that is standard center left. So all right, So I think what's interesting here is that now, now it's not just Malay in Argentina, maybe this is a pattern, Maybe this is something It is not just because Malay. Let's face it, this is a larger than life personality, not just the haircut being up on stage, but the chainsaw most he's going that he had the names of all the agency who's going to get rid of and he was yeah out in the track. You know, clearly a guy who has made for the television social media age, and who clear you know like so you can say, Okay, this is a uniquely talented politician. It's not necessarily reflective of a broader trend in South America or around the world. I think in this case, and look for a long time in Latin American countries, generally the governments that got elected were going, you know, when they had elections, We're going to be populist, leftist, yankee, go home, reflexive demonization of the United States is the root of all problems and all that stuff. Well, now we've got this. We've seen European leaders who are allegedly on the far right. And some of these are genuinely you know, frightening, dangerous guys, but a whole bunch they're all generally running on we want to reduce crime, we want to reduce we want to increase economic opportunities, and we want to enforce our borders and we want to you know, stop people from coming over the borders illegally. Is that far right? Is that some extreme because, like the people are being very clear, this is what we want. And I don't think there's anything inherently evil about that. I don't think there's anything inherently Can they be taken to extremes, sure, but by and large saying I would like the people coming into my country to only be people that my government has allowed to come into my country, and I would like my government to scrutinize who's coming into my country to make sure that we're not bringing in terrorist gang members, criminals, human traffickers, all that kind of stuff that doesn't seem really crazy and unreasonable and hateful or anything like that. As Trump famously says, if you don't have borders, you don't have a country. This is the most reasonable thing. This man says, this is the most you know, like the people are speaking very clearly. The question is is the governing class listening. And when you don't listen, then you end up with having these candidates coming along who are as underdogs or long shots or when I'm having surprises, and who end up, you know, saying, oh we have the winning and often winning by a solid margin. Malaise Party won very well, and that those midterm elections in there. So now here's like campaigning on things and getting elected, believe it or not, that's the easy part, because actually enacting these changes tends to be a little bit harder. Governments are not all easy. They're not like aircraft carriers. They don't turn out a dime. We'll have to see how well chi Lay can implement these reforms, but it seems like one step in the right direction and so you know, I think there's kind of a broad public demand all across the globe. We'd like secure borders, we want criminals behind bars, and we'd like you to maximize economic opportunities so we can live a better life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now it's well said, and it's interesting again what they consider far right because a quick googling of what is economic neoliberalism, what exactly is that? And the overview, Yeah, it's ai but it says neoliberal economics is a political economic theory promoting free markets, minimal government intervention, privatization regulation, and free trade, viewing competition as the best way to generate prosperity and efficiency by shifting power from public to private sectors and emphasizing individual responsibility. Jim, I can go for that. I don't think that seems to THEO radical. I don't think that seems radical at all.
Speaker 1: Great, can I just observe that, Like, you know, if you if you're grew up of the years we did, you probably heard someone like Russia Limbus saying these liberals are trying to you know, destroy our country. But you know, like liberals were a synonym for democrats. Liberals were what people we call progressives, However, periodically you start studying, you know, philosophy, you've become familiar with the likes of John Locke, You've become the oh, what we think of as conservatives are actually considered classical liberals. Right, this whole idea of free markets, limited government, freedom of speech, respect for the right, you know, the rights. Power of the government comes from the people, not from the people giving the rights to the government, all that kind of stuff. But now somewhere along the line, that became neoliberal. So this thing that we can think of we think of as being conservative is simultaneously classical liberal and neoliberal. But it's not liberal. I think we need some clarity in our terms here.
Speaker 2: Yes, or some new terms, definitely. But anyway, Chile headed in the right direction. You know, they liked it, a lot of socialists in South America over the years, and I think at least in some countries they're saying, you know what, that didn't work, let's try a different direction. In other countries they're stuck with it, like Venezuela and some others that just can't get out of the grips of a really, really horrible philosophy which turned a very prosperous country into a disaster. So we'll see what happens there. But anyway, there's another thing that we need to take care of today in addition to our three good Martinez, and that's to remind you that it's time to see the doctor. Is it time for that annual physical? Is it time to get a dental cleaning, I exam, whatever it is, ZocDoc can make it very very simple for you. ZocDoc is a free app and website where you can search and compare high quality in network doctors and then click to instantly book and appointment. Both Jim and I have used ZocDoc. Could not be easy, and you don't have to get on the phone with anybody to book an appointment.
Speaker 1: With zochdoc. You can book in network appointments with more than one hundred thousand doctors across every specialty of medical care, from mental health to dental health, from primary care to urgent care. Whatever you need, they can find it, and you can filter for doctors who take your insurance see if they're located nearby. That's how I ended up finding my optometrist, which is basically a stone's throw from my house. Okay, if John Elway is throwing the stone a good fit for any particular medical need you might have, and you can see if they're highly rated by verified patients.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so stop putting out those doctors appointments and go to ZocDoc dot com slash three mL to find an instantly book a top rated doctor today. That's zoc doc dot com slash three mL, zochdoc dot com slash three m L. All right, Jim, on to our third good martini. Now wow, And it looks like the people of Minnesota are none too happy with the welfare fraud scandal there and Governor Tim Wall's handling of it. Hat tip to Free Beacon on this one. But they're reporting on a pull from KSTP and Survey USA, and the article says seventy nine percent of registered voters in Minnesota think fraud in state programs is either the biggest or a major problem in their state, and just fourteen percent think Governor Tim Walls did enough to stop the fraud. In total, ninety two percent of respondents identified the fraud as a problem. Of that ninety two percent, twenty five percent called it the biggest problem in the state, and fifty four percent called it a major problem. Just thirteen percent called it a minor problem, and sixty nine percent of respondents said Walls needs to quote unquote do more to quote unquote stop fraud in Minnesota. And given the whistleblower statements that we've seen from some state employees, he not only didn't stop it, he stopped the people who were trying to stop it. And so I think this has legs. We've seen the New York Times report on very critically. We've seen CBS News report on this very critically. You never know what else is going to come up in the news that could potentially block it off the front page. But Jim, the people of Minnesota know they got fleeced here and they're really mad about it. And that's good.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, as horrific as this scandal is, I am glad that it has been uncovered. I am glad that certain individuals have been prosecuted, probably not enough. I am glad that, based on this survey USA poll, the people of Minnesota care. They recognize that this is appalling, that this is absolutely unacceptable in state government. They recognize that the governor has been asleep at the switch, not just recently, but for pretty much the entirety of his time as governor. And I am glad that all of this is coming to our attention in the year twenty twenty five, when in the year twenty twenty six, Minnesota has a governor's race and Tim Walls, at least as of this recording, still intends to run for a third term. So now before everybody in the state of Minnesota, Shelta Foy is going to do the right thing. We know there are certain Minnesotas who are going to be great on this question is Minnesota Democrats, are you sure you want this guy to be your nominee or do you want to say, you know what, Here is some state lawmaker, here is some other figure who is not associated with the current administration, who was not asleep at the switch, who you know and say we're gon We're gonna nominate somebody else. Walls, thank you. Here's a gold watch. Go teach somewhere, Go write a book, Go fix a carburetor, go do something. We can't have you running for a third term. You're an embarrassment, you have failed in your duties. Or are they going to nominate him again? And then the question is to the people of Minnesota. Yes, I understand you're a very democratic state. You voted from Mondale over Reagan. Right now, I can forgive a lot, but that's that's really extreme. Look at the you know, the poster over my wall. But let's say, you know, like you have a choice, because if Walls wins the nomination in a primary, first, we'll see if there's a primary fight. I think if you're like I'm Minnesota, Democrats are crazy if they don't. If nobody jumps in and says, yes, we need to do better than this, but he may still win advantages of incumbency and all that. But let's says it's Walls versus any other Republican other than the MyPillow guy, which, by the way, like, come on, Republicans, we know we can do state house speakers running in this race, You're gonna have plenty of options. Do not throw this away on some nutjob. Right, you know you've got a great opportunity when the governor's mansion best chance is the whirling dervis of raw political charisma, timp po LENTI was in there, right, people of Minnesota, if you reelect Walls, you're saying that this poll is a lie. You're saying that you clearly don't really care about it, because when only also, who are these fourteen percent of Tim Walls has done enough? Like Walls family members like, I'm just gonna baffled by this, But like state of Minnesota, you have an opportunity. Something terrible has happened, you have the opportunity to fix it, or you have the opportunity to say, you know what, we say, we're upset about this, but we're not actually willing to do anything different about it by voting for somebody. We are perfectly comfortable with the status quo. That is the message you will get if you reelect him Walls, and my suspicion is that the fraud will only continue if you keep this guy in charge for another four years.
Speaker 2: It's going to be interesting because despite it being a blue state for the most part, the margins and the legislatures are pretty thin because remember we had that one seat was going to decide the majority, I think in the state House. And so I think when we see how serious the lawmakers are, particularly the Democrats, in investigating this and getting answers and weather Walls is cooperative, I think that's going to tell a lot about whether the people who would normally be inclined to vote for Democrats give them the benefit of the doubt here and trying to get to the bottom of it. I don't think they deserve the benefit of the doubt, but I think that might at least give them cover for continuing to vote for Democrats if they try to sweep it all under the rug. I almost want to see Tim wallsby the nominee, because I think he's going to get bludge into the ballot box.
Speaker 1: Yes, and look, if you're a post a Republican, it's the old National Review cover of Howard Dean. Please nominate this man, please do not you know, alter course, but we'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Jim, that was nice. Dur a couple of days with no good martinis. We actually had three of them. Kind of cleanses the palette a little bit. Don't you think We.
Speaker 1: Make no guarantees. But the rest of the week, dear listeners, Right, so when we go over the topics we find three good ones, just let's do it all good day because those opportunities don't come along. We'll see. That's we knocking on one.
Speaker 2: Hopefully the rest of the week goes smoothly fantastic Jim Garretty, National Review. I'm Greg Corumbus of Radio America. Thanks for being with us today. Please be sure to subscribe to the podcast if you don't already, and tell your friends about us as well. We'd love to have them listening. Thanks also for your five star ratings and your kind reviews. Please keep those coming. Get us on your home devices. All you have to say is play Three Martini Lunch podcast. Follow us both on X He's at Jim Garretty, I'm at Greg Corumbus. Follow Three Martini Lunch on Facebook and Instagram. Have a great Tuesday, and join us again Wednesday for the next Three Martini Lunch