Speaker 1: So if he's got some good hairs and feel, this is too good.
Speaker 2: It's not just the fact that he's one, it's the way he's played the match.
Speaker 1: That he has a candy bar and an RC coke. You are kidding me, come on, and this is unbelievable.
Speaker 3: He might supports some unbelievble energy to the court with the fans and then with his play as well and with his personality. So it was very, very refreshing to play against an appoint like this, you know, who draws in the crowds and come with some great shop making.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure he's flowing grass. That's that's good.
Speaker 4: So he starts as we mean to go on, right, nothing can go wrong. Now, regular podcasting is a why how are you mate?
Speaker 1: I'm doing very well mate, how are you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm all right, I'm all right. So we we obviously did that load. We did a daily windwood and pod and then then I've I've to have some barbecues. Coaching tennis. Not been up too much, you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not really too much.
Speaker 2: Just been playing playing tennis in various locations and play the Grand Slam as you do.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: You played the Grand Slam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I played the Grand Slam US Open. Ah, it wasn't part of the script, but there we go.
Speaker 4: That beats my I've had some barbecues anecdote.
Speaker 1: Uh, well, I'll just the barbie, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: That's true. Just let you know. I didn't know you were playing the US Open until you went out.
Speaker 1: That's good, that's good. I kept it. I don't know. It was so quick it was. It happened so fast.
Speaker 2: I didn't really have time to do too much apart from post on Instagram story or whatever until.
Speaker 1: It was all done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Because you know, I found a partner around my ranking and we said let well go.
Speaker 1: We booked flights because it started later.
Speaker 2: We bot flights Wednesday and I had the return but for Sunday because in case we didn't get in. I was at Coldplay Tuesday night at Wembley and then got up very early to fly Wednesday.
Speaker 1: So the plan was to sign in see.
Speaker 2: How many we were out, because they did it differently this year, and the fact they left eight pairs to signing on site in two different locations, so.
Speaker 1: We just didn't know.
Speaker 2: It was kind of the off chance. I've never played with this guy. And then we didn't get in. The original list and I thought, well that's it because it's starting tomorrow, and that twenty four hours later loads of pairs are pulled out.
Speaker 1: So we were comfortably in.
Speaker 2: So I got called into the referee office and saying you said, how would you like to play US Open?
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, yeah, go on there.
Speaker 4: Just a bit, and.
Speaker 2: Then we saw the draw was Thompson Ebden who you know, Thompson have won the previous year, so.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, that's brilliant, but oh no.
Speaker 4: And Ebden has been playing four years. Great serve a great volley, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was just a very crafty, good player, being number one in the world one slams and Thompson, you know, he's taking my pants down a few times.
Speaker 1: So although we were I was buzzing to be in.
Speaker 2: It was like, right now, I've got a I just wanted to go out there and perform what you know. You don't want to go out and lose two and two or you know, just turn up because I guess these moments are what you train for, what you play all the other tournaments for, is to turn up and give a good account yourself. So that was my that was my fear as it were was to go out there and you know, not not compete well and not not play well, which is I guess always a fear, but even more so, you.
Speaker 1: Know, with a bit of jet lag and and not the best.
Speaker 2: Preparation because we couldn't we weren't allowed to practice on match courts. We were you know, stuck at the indoor center. So I hit indoors a couple of times. We got a buggy to offsite practice courts to hit there. So so yeah, it wasn't It wasn't the best prep and that concerned me a bit.
Speaker 4: And so you haven't who was your partner.
Speaker 2: Carol Drizzki, polish guy, absolute monster, doesn't look like he should be playing tennis.
Speaker 4: And have you did you know him before? Like how did that relationship come about?
Speaker 2: We went for dinner together in San Marino, me and the partner I was playing within him.
Speaker 1: Got on really well with him.
Speaker 2: He's, you know, got a good light sense of humor, quite a funny guy. And I guess we just kept in touch because everyone's trying to look for partners with slams and you know, he was speaking to a couple of guys. I was speaking to a couple of guys, and in the end he said, let's just let's just sign see what happens.
Speaker 1: And we were joking with Jo about it, going, oh, you'll turn up and win the thing.
Speaker 2: You know, people won't know what's hit them.
Speaker 1: But in the end we did all right.
Speaker 4: So, I mean he's played every Slam this year, hasn't.
Speaker 1: He as an alternate?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's lost in the first round every of every slam.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was his record this year, which I think he's had a couple of tough ones and.
Speaker 4: And he's around eighty in the world.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I think he's got a bit to defend now from last year. But yeah, good player, just just huge bit of a loose cannon that goes after returns.
Speaker 1: Hard talented, talented boy, just a little bit mental.
Speaker 4: Well, you've got so much in common. I don't have the power he has, but but you got all the other.
Speaker 1: Bitt We've got the mental bit. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, So you basically made it sound easier to into a Grand Slam than it is to join in like my club singles tournament, where there's several emails back and forth with organizers and stuff like that. So you roll up, you've got the golf cart and then first round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first round schedule came out the night before, so obviously you arrange your practice court, your arrange match kit, racket, stuff like that, and then yeah, we got out there and and one and we won seven sixty six two. I think I believe And.
Speaker 4: Are you genuinely like when you win? Are you is it? Like? How do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: I was a bit in shock, really because you know, I wasn't expecting to win, and you know, a couple of days before we were weren't even in the tournament, and it just happened very very fast. So I was a bit shocked. I was a bit emotional, didn't really know what was going on. And you know, an hour before, you're on surf but holding holding on in.
Speaker 1: There that they're very good, and then.
Speaker 2: You know, you realize Ebden's elbow or shoulder was gone to a serf, completely slowed down.
Speaker 1: He was struggling on that.
Speaker 2: And then you realize, oh, wait, we've got a chance here, and that that shift of mentality from I'm hanging on for dear life to let's get this done is very strange.
Speaker 1: And then you know when you've won and you're in the second round of a slam.
Speaker 2: All of a sudden, you know you've got to change your flights, and it's like, wow, this is amazing.
Speaker 4: At what point do you think about the actual bureaucracy, the admin around around that. Is it like because that that that second set against Eden and Thompson, you're six to two, right, so when you get to five two, are you thinking Christ.
Speaker 2: No, I'm thinking let's get let's get through this game. Let's let's finish this off, because you don't have many chances. Yeah, and these matches against good players can swear. Although the you know, their heads were down a bit, it takes you know, one break and then you're serving at five four and tight and they're confident and you know you can easily be in a third set with no time or breakdown. So in my head, it was just get through this and and then enjoy it. And then yeah, by the time I'm back at the locker rooms or you know, stretching or whatever, then we're looking at Okay, let's change the flight, let's book practice for tomorrow, let's yeah, let's let's crack on.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: In the second in the second round, you've got peers and with row.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now Peers has won three slams, world number two, yep, something like that, Jackson withrow, double specialist, top twenty, maybe top ten, right, but one title.
Speaker 2: Ten and defending the Semis from the year before the Europa.
Speaker 4: So there's no chance that you've beaten them. So what did you do.
Speaker 2: My partner's shoulders was packed in as well, so he was struggling with that, just in pain, so taking a lot of painkillers. So the pressure was off in that sense. It was like, let's get out there, and we knew we could hold against them. They're not the best returners, you know, they're very very good tennis players, but you know, if you serve well and then and you move well, you can get holds on the board. And that's ultimately how we won in the end. I suppose I played a loose game in the first to get broken. We hardly won a point on their serve. I think we won one point on their serve and it was a double fault. And then we got we broke Peers and three to two in the second or two to one in the second, and then I don't think we lost server. After that, we had a we had a love forty game that we got through in the third, we just we just hung in there, and you know that they missed their opportunity. They choked a little bit, I'd say for them, You know, peers, mister Volley probably wouldn't miss too often.
Speaker 1: At nine to seven, partner hit a very hard mind.
Speaker 2: But and then once you're in that ten point tiebreak, it's it's anything can happen, as you know, as you know, anything can happen, and it was. We were down most of it, so it's a case of hanging in there and keeping the score close. And then you know, on the bigger points we made our shots and they didn't, I suppose.
Speaker 1: Towards the end.
Speaker 2: But yeah, after that, I was completely surprised because I mean, yeah, we weren't expecting to win. Piers missed quite an easy overhead for us to win it at twelve eleven, so that that was a shock in.
Speaker 1: Itself as well.
Speaker 2: But yeah, then you're in the third round of a Slam and it's like, what's going on here?
Speaker 1: What is going on here?
Speaker 4: Wow? And unfortunately that's where the journey finished. You would have set up a little British clash with sorcery and Skopski, right, Yeah, we were three steps when the distance.
Speaker 2: But my partner, he said if we had won that he would have had to pull out. He was in an awful lot of pain. I actually hurt my wrist in the second set of the second round, yeah, because with Row hit a serve and I caught the return and it took my wrist back, so I couldn't hit over a back end, so I was chipping and blocking back had his serve completely went for his standards. You know, even in the first that he was struggling, but we were getting through holds, so it's just really difficult. I lost myself once in the third, but other than that it was quite quite comfortable. We got quite unlucky in that game, but so I was holding my serves quite comfortably, and we were losing his towards the second or third nearly every time he couldn't he couldn't serve, and then my hats started getting confident and the other guy's very good as well.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it kind of got away from us.
Speaker 2: But towards the end it felt pretty impossible to win with with me not being abut to it my strongest return, him not being able to hit his strongest, you know, weapon, which is his serve. It felt frustrating in a way, but then I had to tell myself, Look, if you would have told yourself this a week ago, you know, singing sky full of Stars a few days before, I think I'd have been all right with it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: See you partner Carol again. I like that, Carol. It makes him sound like he's a fifty five year old woman. But would you do you partner Carol again now? About?
Speaker 1: I'd love to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're in touch. He's still injured though, his shoulder still bad. He played Davis Cup for Poland and beat Cashing Glasspall the next week, a couple of weeks after whatever, but his shoulder still hasn't got better. So we're in touch quite a lot, and we message each other quite a lot as friends. So yeah, I'd love to play with him because it's fun. It's fun out there. You know, he's not one of these serious people who's you know, drilling intensity every point. He's having a laugh sometimes as well, which is how I play better tennis. And it's fun, right, It's very rare where tennis is fun and it's just nice.
Speaker 1: You'll play a huge event and be relaxed.
Speaker 4: You're eighty one in the world at the moment. He's around there about eighty three. Do you does that? What does that mean for like the Aussie Open, I mean.
Speaker 2: The cut last year was one sixty. I'm losing my Taiwan points. From next week, I'm going to be around eighty eight eighty nine. I've got three weeks to go. He's I don't know if he's playing, But these conversations are going to happen in two three weeks time. When I mean the entries, I think Christmas Eve or something like that. But there's gonna be a lot of people trying to get within one forty one fifty. You know, I've only been back two weeks because I had to I had to go and get a scan on my wrist, have an injection and take four weeks out. So I've not hit the ground running too well yet. So I've got three weeks to try and change that and then these conversations will happen. But to tell you, there'll be ten messages in my inbox and there'll probably be ten flying out of my inbox for people trying to get into Australia in three weeks is probably a generous amount. It gets quite quite heavy. It's quite heavy on the phone of people trying to pair up. Yeah, really so, I don't know. I'd love to play with him, but it depends on his ranking.
Speaker 4: And definitely in your plans, right, Yeah, if I.
Speaker 2: Can get near to it, if I if I'm two or three outs by the time the deadline's gone, I'll travel yet, but I'm not gonna I'm not going to enter with a singles guy basically because they can just pull out like what happened last year.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, of course I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to I'm not going to you know, fly across the world for that.
Speaker 2: I can just you know, worst case scenario, which is really good considering my start of the year was rubbish West Coast scenario. I don't get in Australia. I I need four or five hundred points to make Roland Garros in five six months.
Speaker 4: We wouldn't it be a great target in twenty twenty six to just be you know, to play in all of the slams.
Speaker 2: That is my goal was to play all the slams. I'd like to wear matches and all the slams. As well, so you know, being fussy over here. Yeah, but yeah, from from what I've from what I've experienced so far, even more so, we know how how tightly knit the doubles is. It's the level differences aren't huge from what I've seen so far. Obviously, you take the top top your turin pairs out and you maybe top twenty pairs, but in slams it's it's there's not a huge difference in level between you know, the guys I've certainly played with and against, and then you play a challenger one week and are playing really really well there as well.
Speaker 1: Just slightly different in terms of the way they set up.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I've got belief that if I'm around that environment enough, I can win win more matches.
Speaker 4: You've celebrated a birthday this month, right, so you've just turned thirty five. But again, in doubles a bit like a goalkeeper in football, isn't it like you look through that top fifty places in the atp plenty of players around your age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this guy's in their forties competing, Yeah, which is crazy.
Speaker 1: You have to look after your body.
Speaker 2: Well that my body's you know, I'm having more and more problems, but it's manageable. You can go on to a double score and play if you're not quite one hundred percent there, if you've got a slight you know, nigger and you know I've had chin splints. I've kind of played through a little bit. In singles, you don't have a chance to do that. You know, we played against you, Ebden Thompson. I think he's taken some time out now, but he turned up and played. I mean, there's no way you do that in singles. You can play not one hundred percent fit in doubles, and that's what people are doing. You know that there's you know, top payers that have had injuries this year and they've just cracked on or you know, being careful with it and played certain tournaments.
Speaker 4: Well, just the adventure continues, mate, does it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I guess so.
Speaker 4: On a bit of a handbrake turn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we like those.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I had an interview with you the other day about mental health and it's something that we've we've like obviously, we know each other very well and it's something that we've spoken about for years and we had a conversation that on the podcast. We talk about crisps or stupid stuff, but is there a space to think about something with a little bit more depth and gravitas And it was something that you wanted to kind of bring up today, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's something that if people are listening you we're all going through stuff like that.
Speaker 1: That's what I understand. Everyone's got stuff going on.
Speaker 2: That if there's listeners listening in that are struggling with something, we can we can touch on stuff or share experiences or you know, I think the worst thing is is, you know, from my point of view, when I'm thinking things or when I'm going through something, you feel like you're the only person in the world going through it, or you're a freak or you know, which I am. But it's just I think it's nice to kind of be a bit more together on that and yeah, share experiences and maybe get people on at some point. You know, I've got friends who work in that sector and you know, help people out and then go back to talking about crisps.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a crisp based podcast really, but no, I thought it would be nice. You know, my experiences have been being strange this year. Obviously after Australia, I was really down for a while, and what.
Speaker 4: Does that look like for you, mate?
Speaker 1: What does it look like in terms of mental when.
Speaker 4: You say you were really down down?
Speaker 1: Oh mate? Differently?
Speaker 2: So after Australia, I was I was desperate to get back and play and compete and really eager to crack on hit next year. But I was kind of desperate, you know. I was anxious on court. I wanted to win every single shot. I wanted to win every single point. I was overthinking everything. I was double faulting on big points. I didn't know where to stand. I froze at times and it was flipping horrendous and I didn't know. I didn't know why. But that was a stage in my career where you know, I get home and everything's normal with kids and it's lovely, but you still think about it, right, you fly home and you've put in a poor performance and you're working harder than ever. It was difficult, and it wasn't until I got to Mexico in April where I kind of said to myself, right, well, just go play tennis and enjoy it, and it doesn't matter if you lose.
Speaker 1: Just go and play.
Speaker 2: And you know, I didn't win every the fourth tournament we won, but you know, we lost the first round out there court a semis and then won the last one. But I was so much happier, and then I could see like, Okay, I can I can keep playing like this because if that, you know, if that carried on for longer, you know, you think about is this worth it? You know, I'm traveling around the world, losing, losing money, unhappy, anxious. How long can you really do that for? And that, Yeah, that was a really really tricky point in my life. I guess I just had to keep working through it. And because I put all the reps in, by the time I was ready to relax and enjoy it, I was, you know, good enough to play well. Yeah, and then the grass season. Grass season's intense. Always it's amazing. But then you know you're desperate to go and play well and compete because you know all the people that have supported you, or your family or your friends are watching and cheering you on, and you don't want to let them down. But ultimately I've said to myself, just do what you can do, try your best. I try and to take that away now and go, well, yeah, go compete. Obviously, some nerves are normal you know, there's a lot going on that, you know, the in British grass cat season. I had my dad who was an intensive care just for Queen's How is he now? He's back up and going. Man, Yeah he's cruising my sounds of it. Yeah he's doing well. But that was, yeah, really tricky. I'm grateful, I mean, and the but the thing we kind of all said after it's sad in a way, but it was so nice to have all the family together and just just back to basics, you know, just looking after each other.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I was getting the train from where I live every day again to the hospital seeing my mum's sister brother and we were we were so close and it was just really nice to go for lunch with them. And I think, I don't know, sometimes for me, this life life gets in the way when everyone's healthy or you think they're healthy, and you crack on your guh you know.
Speaker 1: I'll see I'll see you when I can see you.
Speaker 2: And and that was an eye opener for me is to is to you know, catch up with family more often.
Speaker 1: It's difficult with my job and you know for kids and Jenny working and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But you know, it was some some real big life lessons for me, and there actually that, Yeah, my my career is important, but there's not drop in the open ocean and anything else, I suppose, But.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but stressful and sad and worrying.
Speaker 2: You know, didn't sleep very well for a few days, and then you're worrying about your mum and then everyone else, and then you've got your kids, and then you've you're trying to hold it all together. And then a few weeks later, you're playing at Queens and you know, you came out of ice, you and a massive weight was dropped and I went and played really well and everything was.
Speaker 1: And we're we're closer than another now, which is which is awesome?
Speaker 4: And do you feel now that you know, just on a day to day basis, you feel less anxious, happier, You've you've kind of taken enough time for yourself to consider things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on a day to day basis, it's a time out.
Speaker 1: It's different stresses.
Speaker 2: But you know, after us have my wrist injury and it's I get very comfortable being at home and nipping to the gym and going to my favorite coffee shop, and you know, I love that life it's actually getting going again, which is, you know, the last week I've been you know, very good. I've been training again and back at tournaments and and stuff like that. So so for me, the different challenge now is is getting myself going and making it matter again, because after all that, I was like, well, you know, it's it's it's tennis. You know, you your family, got your health, and there's more more important.
Speaker 1: Things going on.
Speaker 2: But now it's actually getting back in that work mindset of no, I've got to treat this like it's everything again.
Speaker 1: And the motivation has been difficult.
Speaker 2: But the difference between me now and me at nineteen is I still go up and do it. If I feel like crap, I still hit the gym session. But you know, I'm very lucky. I've got a fitness trainer who sets me specific things to do, so I go to the gym.
Speaker 1: Without that, i'd struggle. I can get quite in my own head.
Speaker 2: And then you know, when I don't have a plan, it's not like if I look at the the end of the day to what I've done that day and I don't have a plan, it's not that much, mate, It's not that much.
Speaker 1: And then I feel guilty about that. Come on, you need to need to crack on, you need to get better.
Speaker 2: But actually, but actually sometimes you do just need to put the brakes on and chill and stick Netflix on and pick your kids up from school and cook them dinner.
Speaker 1: And it's yeah, I felt guilty about that for some time.
Speaker 2: But now I'm like, as long as you get your job done and do it to the best of your ability, then you can.
Speaker 1: Kind of do what you want. There's different challenges all the time. On me. I find Yeah, and I used to.
Speaker 2: Eat my problems away, and then I drank my problems away, and then you left with I don't want to do that either, and then you're kind of left in this like empty, empty hole of almost of almost nothing. It sounds really deep, but you know that's how I feel sometimes.
Speaker 4: I suppose, Yeah, but you and I have had enough conversations that both of us have been in those places. Yeah, you know, you overdo something to get rid of your problems, whatever that is, it's.
Speaker 1: Just for me. It's escapism. It was escapism. You know.
Speaker 2: I trained hard when I was earlier, but I was when I was younger, but I was massively out of shape.
Speaker 1: It was a problem that I didn't realize.
Speaker 2: And I always kind of laughed at off, and you know, I wanted to make other people laugh, so you know it would it would detract, I guess from the truth. But I didn't know that at the time.
Speaker 4: Have you have you seen like professionals, have you sat with people.
Speaker 1: Focus to people?
Speaker 2: And I've now I've got good friends who have been through a similar thing. And you know, when you when you're younger, it's difficult, but now it's it's about for me.
Speaker 1: It's about being honest with myself. And I never really was.
Speaker 2: I don't think, you know, I was out of shape, but i'd make excuses. I'd go, oh, yeah, but I've had it tough, or you know, I'm a big lad, or i'd.
Speaker 1: Laugh off completely.
Speaker 2: But but then I'm you know, in my head it was it was really hard, mate, because I would be on the treadmill the next day. During the thirty thirties, I'd do more treadmill sessions than anyone else. I'd have more fresh starts than anyone else the whole time, and then by Wednesday it's all gone to shit again, and you're like, excuse my language, but You're like you know, my intention was so good, but when you've got something underlying, that's that's.
Speaker 1: You know, screwing you.
Speaker 2: I suppose I found it impossible personally without you know, understanding why I was the way I was.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's an onward journey.
Speaker 2: But yeah, if I'm honest with myself and how I feel and actually hold myself accountable to you know, being honest with myself.
Speaker 1: And because I think everyone's got it to some.
Speaker 2: Some degree, right we like some people kid themselves and go, it's fine if we just have this another biscuit and blah blah blah. But I just I feel like I've got to be really on it with that stuff because if I'm not, it can get out of hand. You know, I've fluctuated and wait all my life, you know, experimented with drink and stuff, and it's it's it's not really worked for me. It's made things a whole lot worse. So although it's you know, a lot busier in my head, I'm in a lot better place with it. I kind of know who I am a lot better now than I did when I was younger.
Speaker 4: I think that's the key, isn't it. Discovery? Like self discovery, and that can sound like just waffle. I think if you're not in that mindset, you think, well, I know who I am, I've got ID I know where I live.
Speaker 1: But yeah, exactly. People used to say I found myself, and I'm like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: I used to say that all the time, Like, what do you mean?
Speaker 1: What are you talking about? I found you first?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know where you are right here. So, like, the the thing with like, I just feel in my set that I've got huge personality flaws. And that's kind of taken from that crucial growing up period of going to school, doing sport that, not being great at this and that, and and all of those kind of formative years of growing mean that there's this like insecurity or a need to satisfying ego, or there's something that's not right now. You can work on yourself, obviously, and you can try and change that, but these are quite deep innate reactions to situations. Yes, if I don't feel valued or respected or something like that, my go to is to be pretty horrible as a person, Right, I'll go straight into like deathcom red and start lashing out. Yeah, yeah, and then that will make me feel worse. But then you can, you know, you can have a twist and a pint and things.
Speaker 1: And exactly and that makes it all better.
Speaker 4: For sure, that for that five minutes. But then there's like this cycle and after a while you start seeing the same cycle, and you know, I spoke to someone and got some help because that, you know. One of the reasons why this podcast has been really inconsistent is over what two years ago, my mom died and the year before that, my dad died, you know, a year and two days apart. Now, my dad is very old, he was nearly a hundred, but my mum was fully fit, seven two year old and uh, you know, died of lung cancer within three months of diagnosis, and no one was ready. She was at a spin class and twelve weeks later gone, And I wasn't ready for it. And I've actually found my personality flaws where she would bail me out of having like as you know, as insecurities or a small ego or whatever. I could ring her and she would back me up. She was always in the.
Speaker 2: Car justific not justify it, but that'd make you feel better, right, because that's what parents do.
Speaker 4: Right, And I feel that's made that. Basically, I've had two and a half years of the first eighteen months of that just loopy. I'm just loopy. I was doing everything just like rattling around. And it's so hard in that situation to hold down a job, hold down routine, still be a dad, still be someone's friend, a nephew or whatever. And I kind of got to the point of I've got a little red, orange and green system. Now, okay, okay, so this is this is my system. If I'm in green, as in I feel like I'm pretty on top of things routine wise, diet, all of that, and I feel like I'm okay, then I do everything I can right, So I can I can go to work, I take time off, I can speak to people, I can go out of whatever. Right. If I'm in orange, then I need to pull up the drawbridge on the things that ultimately don't matter to me. So an example of that would be overworking or overtraining, or being too worried about what I'm eating, right, the art of not giving a shit. Really yeah, And there are certain things you do where you know someone will say, oh, can you do this for me, and you go, yeah, no problem. And if I'm in an orange position. It's because I'm starting to feel like a little bit like things could be overwhelming me a bit, and it's actually easier for me to say, I can't do that right now, I'll do it, I'll do it when I'm ready or whatever. It's actually easier to do that rather than what I have done before is force myself to do things, force myself to go into social situations, create anxieties or whatever, and if I'm in red, nothing at all. Because one thing I learned after my mom died was I had three weeks off and I came back to work. And at the time, I was running a tennis coaching company over three clubs. I had multiple colleagues, people working alongside me, people working with me. I was working alongside a committee. My wife gave up work because we didn't have like a child support network in the same way without my mum being around. So I was a sold breadwinner and I was really panicked on that. Right, So I went and did all of this stuff, but I really needed to stop. Yeah, only looking back now, I realized that I was no good to anyone. I fell out with people. The tennis coaching company kind of suffered massively. Like the size of it is, you know, like I made enemies, I said things to people I regret. I was just horrible. And what I should have actually done is said, I'm going on a mortgage break. I'm not working until I feel ready. I cannot do anything. I'm in a complete red zone. I can just about get to the shops. I can hang out with my kids, I can watch Indiana Jones. Yeah that's it, and I'm out.
Speaker 2: But you don't want to do that at the time because you feel like you failed.
Speaker 4: Had I done that, though, I would have been back quicker. Yeah, I would have given myself more chance and less anxieties around being a twap to people basically. And I have reached out back to some people and said, look, that wasn't me. Sorry, And then I know there's other people where I can't reach out to them, and that's that right. And all I can do is think about people who are going to meet me in the future and them not thinking but actually, right now, like you said to me before we started recording, are we good to go on the podcast? Absolutely? I'm green. I'm in a green zone. If it does go to orange and the weather and working outside and all of that, that's going to turn it a little bit. But actually, right now I feel like more in control and in a better place than I have done for I don't know, maybe ever good.
Speaker 2: That's awesome to hear man, it's a horrible thing. There's no right answer for unfortunate.
Speaker 4: I think you're right to bring it up and for us not to dwell on it or to make multiple podcasts about it, or to try and become like mental health gurus. But no, you're right. If I her two normal people talking about it, not talking about me doing like breathing exercises in a zumba class, Yeah, to normal people talking about this, at some point i'd have thought, look, I'm normal as well. It's all right. Yeah and yeah, So I think you're right to bring it up. And look if we get reaction and feedback that people want us to talk about it more than we will, people want to share stories them.
Speaker 2: Sure right, yeah, yeah, no, I think it'd be really nice thing to touch on and do sometimes as much as you know, as much as people want, we will go back to string engines and grips at some point.
Speaker 4: I think that red Yeah as.
Speaker 1: Well, We're not We're not doing any Red Zone podcasts here no.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, we just just a quick one to finish on and thinking about things of great debt. Cheese an onion or salt of vinegar. What do you reckon?
Speaker 1: Cheese and onion? Cheese and onion always?
Speaker 4: Do you know what I think if you take one thing from this podcast is cheese and onion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cheese and onion, salt and vinegar. I mean it depends.
Speaker 2: If you're abroad, you just go ready salted late in Spain or Italy you just go playing and it works.
Speaker 1: But if you if you buy them in the UK, then you need to check in with someone.
Speaker 4: The only time I've a ready sorted is if you're in a bar and they bring you an egg cup full of nine crisps.
Speaker 1: Sometimes that's the only My French League team do that. Before dinner. You'll meet up.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, because you just stand around and then they bring out the tiniest thing with curry popcorn last year, but it's like five bits in there and I'm sat there obviously like the person. I am just munching them and going okay, when are they going to get topped up?
Speaker 1: Where's the real bowl here.
Speaker 4: Yes, I need the sauce, I need the dealer. Get me here, just get.
Speaker 1: Me the bag, just get me the whole bag.
Speaker 2: But yes, it's a strange run that whereas I don't I think in England we're just just greedy, aren't we really?
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm quite possibly? All right, maybe let's let's podcast again very soon. Okay, maybe something towards the end of the week.
Speaker 1: Perfect, See you all again soon