Speaker 1: Hi, I'm your host, Doctor Lorie, and welcome to Universally Unique, Exploring the neurodiverse world of the extraordinary. This podcast foster's curiosity and understanding about neurodiversity while empowering individuals with tools for acceptance and inclusion in classrooms, the workplace, and communities. Featuring shared stories of neurodiverse life experiences, it sheds light on navigating the world not designed for diversity. Universally Unique starts now. Hi, I'm doctor Lorie. My guest today is Mary.
Speaker 2: Slowly.
Speaker 1: Mary is going to share her journey with her adult son. After we take three box breaths. When we do the box breaths, I will count to us. We'll take three breaths in. Excuse me, We'll take four breaths in and we'll hold for four. Well, exhale for four, we'll hold for four. We'll take another breath and we'll do three three rounds of that. So, starting now, breathe in two three four, hold two three four, breathe out two three four, hold two three four. Breathe in two three four, hold two three four. Breathe out two three four, hold two three four. Breathe in two three four, hold two three four, breathe out two three four, hold two three four, and finished with a nice sigh three brass.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 1: That's that should be all it takes to kind of get your nervous system reset. So just a little information about Mary. Part of Mary's story made sound a little familiar to some of you who have listened to the previous podcast, because I interviewed Mary's daughter Kelly Hall in our last episode, and she does actually mention her brother, and I suspect that Mary may mentioned her grandson just a little bit. So everyone, somehow is all intertwined. For those of you who have been listening to the podcast for a while, you have probably figured out that every person that I have brought on is somehow connected to me in some way or connected to someone that I that I know. So, Mary, why don't you tell us a bit about the journey that you've been on with Travis, Like when you noticed that things were not going quite as expected. He's what the third of your children, correct, So you had a couple of children that were developing as expected, So you may have spotted things a little faster than if he had been here first born. But so tell us a bit about him okay.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: At the time Travis was born, we lived in rural South Dakota, and again I had two children. Previous one was termed the next one was Kelly. As a matter of fact, that she was about four to five weeks early and only weighed four pounds. Everything with her seemed to be okay.
Speaker 2: She was just little.
Speaker 3: But Travis was a whole different story. He was born at twenty six weeks gestation and I was air ambulanced to the University of Minnesota Hospital in Minneapolis for him, where they did get labor stopped.
Speaker 2: However, I developed a.
Speaker 3: Fever and then they had to allow Travis to be born and he was born naturally and consequently suffered a brain bleed at the time, So right from the get go we knew this was not going to be your typical pregnancy and development.
Speaker 2: He was three.
Speaker 3: Months early, and he actually got out of the hospital on his due date, but he progressed slowly, and we were told that we could have a very seriously involved young man with all kinds of things, being wheelchair bound and all kinds of scary stuff that we weren't sure of. So as we brought him home, he was very small, but he came home at five pounds, and with an older.
Speaker 1: Travis is huge now, so it's hard to imagine him at five pounds.
Speaker 3: Yes, very hard to image him being that teeny tiny For those of you who can't visualize what at one pound fourteen ounce baby looks like.
Speaker 2: He fit on an eight and a half by eleven piece of paper. He fit on that.
Speaker 3: So anyway, I tried to do a lot of reading about what was expected with him. We knew that it would take a while for him to catch up. He had Kelly above, and then a year about approximate a year later, I had another baby, and he actually, even though he was a year younger, kind of developed at the same time on the same pattern as as his younger sister, Christie, and so it was easy to compare. He walked at about two when she walked at one. So some of the milestones that we had to look for we also had to develop as a baby. I had to put him through patterns of movement that brought the hands to the midline, you know, crunched him up, rolled him side to side I used to, and then once he got close to being able to walk, we noticed that he had that stretch reflex and he would always fall backwards and land, you know, flat on his back. So every time Travis had diaper change, we would take him and sit him down and stand him up and sit him down so that you know, would get him off balance and then sit him down so that he would learn to sit. And once he had mastered that, which he did, Travis walked And it was similar with all other kinds of milestones, like riding a bike. He was determined to ride a bike, but balance is not one of his strong suits because he was diagnosed with spastic diplegia. So he could walk, he could he walked on his toes. We had to get you know, the AFOs and all that kind of stuff. But he was determined to ride a bike. So put him on a bike and he learned how to ride a bike going down a hill in one of our yards where there was grass. But he kept up until he was determined to learn how to ride a bicycle, and he did. And right now as an adult, he has an e bike which he can ride or HiT's motorized and he can get to work on it. So because of his disabilities and you know, all the things he had going wrong with him. We never assumed that he wasn't going to be able to do anything. We worked on trying to help him do the things he needed to do. To that end, when we were in South Dakota, doctor Odo, it was hard to get the kind of interventions and cooperation among all of his speech therapists, occupational therapists, physical therapist, and doctor. His doctor first put him on Riddlin because he was so hyperactive. He was all over the place and that made him anxious and fearful. So they took him off that, and although Travis did not exhibit seizures, he was put on the medicine Integratol was what they found worked and that allowed him to settle in and improve on some other areas. But because he was disjointed, we had him admitted to Cripple Children's Hospital and School in Sioux Falls.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: It's the hardest thing I ever had to do, is to take my four year old little guy and put him in that facility and leave him there. And I could not visit him for three months. And I remember sitting in the parking lot looking and it's my heart coming out of my chest. Oh my god, Yeah, I can't see him for three weeks. He going to understand where's mom? You know, because he followed me around. When I stopped walking, he used to bump into.
Speaker 2: Me, so it's very hard to do that.
Speaker 3: But the one thing that did come out of that that was a benefit was that there was a coordinated effort. I think he had a team of twenty five people him from you know, start to finish, and they were able to find out how Travis learned, you know, what was going to make him be able to learn things. And they had a behavioral psychiatrist come from Minneapolis to watch him, and it was determined that was a lot of time before we knew all about Asberger's and all these other.
Speaker 2: Things, which I think got a little of that going on too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely that Travis did not learn from observation and seeing other things. He could not read other people's emotions. He could not gauge, you know, their level of irritation or anything else. And he said that we had to teach Travis behavior in this situation.
Speaker 2: This is what you do.
Speaker 3: These are the kinds of questions you could ask, you know, And that helped him navigate a little bit more so that he became a questions guy, and that's all he wanted to do was ask people questions. And he would perseverate on things that he knew the answer to, but wanted just to hear people say, what happens if I put my finger in the lights? You know the lights? He knew what would happen. What happened if I put my finger in the fan. He liked to see that big reaction.
Speaker 2: But you know, that's the way he learned.
Speaker 3: So he was only there from June of one year to like May of the next, and then we moved to Connecticut, but we had the foundation for him to enter kindergarten and get the services and the kind of approaches.
Speaker 2: That he needed.
Speaker 3: So that was, you know, from then on our mantra with four kids then and then now five was Travis had very special needs, but that didn't entitle him to special privileges. We made sure that he was treated just like any other child. He had things that he needed to do around the house. He my husband had him out.
Speaker 2: In the yard.
Speaker 3: Travis knows how to write, you know, a zero turn lawnmower. He knows how to operate a log splitter. You know, he can do all kinds of things and help and understand how to carry and move things, you know, just because you're special needs, you know, which is the term at the time, he didn't get excused from things.
Speaker 2: You know, he still had to pick up his stuff, put his stuff in the laundry.
Speaker 3: He knows how to do laundry. And now because of that, not putting him in a box and restricting what he was able to do, Travis lives independently. He has a job where he's you know, works almost full time, and he has he gets himself to working back either by writing public transportation or his e bike and from it. When we brought him home being told that we might have a wheelchair bound child that wasn't going to be able to do anything and require twenty four to seven care, you know, it's amazing. And by the way, he did potty trade. By the time he was three and a half, he was potty trade.
Speaker 2: So what can I say?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, and I mean he is independent by all definitions of the word he is. I think probably part of the reason why he was so successful and why he was so persistent with things like learning how to ride the bike is he is also potentially one of the most stubborn individuals I've ever met. I mean, I adore him, but if he has his mindset on something, it's very difficult to convince him that what he thinks or what he wants is not the best option. You know, if he decides that he's you know, I don't know, I want to buy this item, and somebody says, well, you know, maybe that item isn't really the best thing for you, he's still going to buy it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He saves his money, you know, a little bit, not much. He tries to manage his budget. That's one of his biggest challenges is math and you know, numbers, and again, like you say, those he sees the latest gidget gadget, have that? Or one of his siblings gets the latest gidget gadget, he thinks he's got to have it too because they got a w why can't I have it? And yeah, that's that can be a problem. We had a I won't say a tough time, but it was eventually a successful argument about putting his bike away in the winter and not being able to ride it and using public transportation all the time, and even has workers that will come get him in snowstorms so that he doesn't have to try to get to the bus because again his balance isn't the best walking on ice. But that was that was a struggle for a while because he thought, you know, he doesn't want us to take his independence away. However, you know, getting him to understand that this is not about independence, it's about safety. And I think we've got that.
Speaker 1: No, it's I have noticed that bike has spent away until the weather gets gets I think the other challenge sometimes is he does not have good vision. It's that the left it's the left eye that's really bad. So sometimes when I see him driving around on his bike, I'm also holding my breath because I don't know how much he's seeing on his left hand side. And he's very good about wearing a vest, so he wears his bright vest so people, you know, don't miss him. But sometimes I'm like, wow that, I think that was a dangerous maneuver there.
Speaker 3: Yes, And we feel I feel the same way. I know he's on his bike. I'll call him on you know, weather days, and the other day when he had all those the rain storms earlier this.
Speaker 2: Week he used the bus.
Speaker 3: But you know, I guess in some ways it's similar to how we feel when our our you know, diverse not neurodiverse kids are driving all over the place, you know, we worry. And you know, he's changed his route. He was going through more of the busy traffic patterns to go to you know, a back road now to get to work, which I encouraged him to do because I wasn't happy with him going through some of those big intersections down by the shopping areas.
Speaker 2: So that is what it is. It's a worry.
Speaker 3: He has had one accident with it, but it was not his fault. Somebody opened a door and he went slamming into it. The person did not see him, and as a result, he did learn a lesson. It can happen that quick, Travis, and it doesn't have to be something you did.
Speaker 2: Look, this is what it is about driving, and this is why we worry.
Speaker 1: So yeah, unfortunately he was not seriously seriously injured. You know, he is the model of When I was a master's student, like a thousand years ago, one of the articles that we read was an article that was on the dignity of risk and I can't remember whether that was the exact title or not. I don't rememb who the author was, but the whole idea was that individuals who had disabilities needed to have opportunities to take certain risks in order to become as independent as possible. That might be, you know, cutting something with a sharp knife, or running a log splitter, or riding a bike. And if you don't allow folks the opportunity whether if it's appropriate for them to engage in those things, then they don't live up to their full potential. And I think the approach that you and your family took was that he was given chances and opportunities to try out some stuff that I'm sure lots of folks are holding their breath the first time you ran that log splitter. I'm holding my breath and I didn't even see the log splitter. And I'm sure he's phenomenal at it, and I know he's phenomenal at his job. And the kind of work that he does also comes with a certain amount of danger if you're not paying attention to what you're doing. But one of the good things about him is that when he's decided that he's bought into whatever the approach is, he will follow it to the exact level that you asked him to do.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 1: So if there's five steps and these are the five steps to run this machine at work, he will do those five steps. And if he sees somebody not doing those five steps and doing something unsafe, he is very in tune with that was a really bad idea and potentially rather vocal about it. I think as well, he should be the safety guy.
Speaker 2: He could be.
Speaker 3: You know that the risk taking is something that There are other areas that happened with him.
Speaker 2: One of them was in high school.
Speaker 3: There's some sports of course he couldn't do, but he did do cross country and track, and that was something he was able to run the full races, you know that he entered into and his first race in cross country, he took off so fast and because he's you know, he's top heavy, his little spindly legs wouldn't carry him.
Speaker 2: He fell flat in his face and I was like, oh, Travis got up and he went and he finished. So you know, he that was a that was a.
Speaker 3: Risk for him, but he did it all three years, sophomore, junior, senior year. And then the other thing was is then when he's his first independent living in a group type of situation with a roommate, there were people taking supervising, Oh you can't, you can't cook, Travis, you can't know. We don't want you using the stove. And he's like, well, I can use the stove.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: He knew how to make mac and cheese. He knew how to fry himself an egg, make a grilled cheese.
Speaker 2: You know, he was a Paul that he they would weren't going to let him cook.
Speaker 3: So you know, there's there's stuff you know, yeah, you might burn yourself, you know, you just make sure you don't, you know, burn up the kitchen.
Speaker 2: But he never got close to anything like that.
Speaker 3: But again, those are the risks that you have to let him take in some ways so that they can they can.
Speaker 1: Be and and he and he has thrived with those things and he is he is. He's kind of built a bit like a try angle. That's part is definitely a lot. And he's got the he doesn't have those skinny little legs which he which he uses, I believe to his best advantage because he's a special olympian and he does powerlifting.
Speaker 2: He does.
Speaker 1: I was sure that that was it maybe the category. And he does the discuss.
Speaker 2: Well, he used he does the shot put.
Speaker 1: He just shot put. Okay, ye shot So he you know, he uses all of that upper body strength to his to his advantage. And he's very proud of himself when when he's gone to to the games and and come back with with metals, which he usually does. I believe he usually clears the field there, but he does. Yeah, he's he's he's quite the quite the athlete. So, h You've shared quite a few things and and I'm kind of anticipating maybe what your answer is, but I'm going to ask you, what are you most proud of that he's that he's done, or that he has maybe the potential to be doing in the future.
Speaker 2: I think my husband and I talked about it.
Speaker 3: I think we're proud of the things that he's able to do independently.
Speaker 2: But the fact that this kid from where we, like I said, where he started.
Speaker 3: Lives independently, can take care of himself, and can hold down a job. That's very proud of the fact that he's able to do that. I mean, he's able to do all of those things. And I think of had we done things differently or tried to be too protective or like you say that not giving him the chance to try things that you know, could be a little whatever, that he's able to do those things. And he's a productive member of society. I mean, you know, he really is, and I think that's we're pretty proud of the accomplished you know, in that area. But he's he's been a big part of that, you know, because like you said, that attitude that I want to do that, you know, I'm going to that you know here. You know, he's he does need he does get some supervision in terms of, you know, like making sure he can get to his groceries and this and that, but he doesn't want anybody around all the time, even at work. He's got a job coach, and he really objects. He doesn't want to feel different. He doesn't want to stand out that way. He wants to just be Travis and not have somebody watching them all the time, you know. And we've you know, scaled back a little bit on the job coach, but he would just soon not have one because he doesn't know he needs one. But I told, you know, I'm just very grateful to the company for hiring him in the first place. And I think they found out that that wasn't a bad decision, especially when he they kept had to tell him to take breaks because he was just going to work the whole day and not even take one, maybe not even he.
Speaker 1: Was just going to go yeah, and he I mean, he works competitively. He is an employee of this factory, and he just he has somebody checking on him just a little bit. And I think there's been some changes. And I think that the person who's checking in on him is somebody that he's known for a long time, So it may be more of I get to visit with this person for a few minutes, as opposed to their checking up on me. I'd like this person, and you know, I like to show them how I'm doing well.
Speaker 3: One thing Travis, you know, is still working on is him being more aware of the feelings of other people. You know that the reason why they have a job, coach, is to protect the company.
Speaker 2: It's not all about you.
Speaker 3: They know that they might be able to leave you, but because this company has taken a chance on hiring somebody, you know, in a factory setting, they have to know somebody is going to come and, you know, make sure everything's okay. And maybe there's some sort of a state regulation. I don't know, but other people's you know, expectations and feelings about that, like me worrying about him on the ice and snow and you know, blah blah blah blah. You've got to under he has a hard time with that, and he still does, you know, understanding those kinds of feedback from people.
Speaker 2: He can't.
Speaker 3: He can't pick up on that all the time, you know, And then when you explain it to him, he's like, you know, like I didn't think of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does, definitely. He does not put himself in the position all the other person and see it from from their side. So when you say that you're worried about something or you're you know, a little angry with him or frustrated or disappointed or whatever, it has to be explained very concretely, which is a good reason for there to be a job coach, because sometimes somebody has to run interference. Even though the people who he works for seem to really understand him, but he is he's he's a little persnickety, I guess. For he has his own ways of doing things, and sometimes that's fine, but other times he needs somebody to kind of help him do things in a different way, and he does not He does not read other people well at all.
Speaker 3: Well, that's one thing that we had to do in education. When he entered middle school, I requested a full meeting. I didn't want just special education administration. I wanted all the people that were going to deal with him in school. And we all sat at the same table and I said, this is Travis. I explained him, and I also explained my expectation. He communicates by asking questions. At that time, it was a question after question, answer a question. And I said, he will occupy all of your time. I said, if he comes in and you are busy, you have to tell him this is not a good time.
Speaker 2: This is not an appropriate time to ask all these questions.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't want to hurt his feelings, Like, no, you need to hurt his feelings, you know, but you do it the right way.
Speaker 2: It's going to hurt his feelings.
Speaker 3: Oh well, this is not an appropriate behavior, and you have to teach him that you are not to do this in your class or at this time or whatever.
Speaker 2: And explain it to him. But you have to do that.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. I got a little pushback from some people. I said, no, I won't. This is the way it has to be. And that had think helped get him through his high school. And because he would do that, he'd say, hi, hes miss so, and so you know, he'd want to talk about things, you know, and and he'd want to talk about things he'd talked to him about before, but it was not inappropriate.
Speaker 2: So yeah, dad's in here too, he agrees, and he'd go on, and you know, that was.
Speaker 3: One thing that educationally, I think more parents need to make people that these child, their children are going to be in contact.
Speaker 2: With, aware of what works, what doesn't work, and.
Speaker 3: Their expectation, you know that. You know, for me it was it was pretty easy. It's not maybe easy for other people. But I know Kelly with say she had to go to bed in all kinds of ways to make sure that people were doing what they said they were going to do. In his IEP, you know, meeting time, how much time he was actually getting access to people. So with Travis, for me is this is my expectation. You don't allow him to do that.
Speaker 1: So, you know, I think that's a I think a really important thing because we see people many times and I don't think that you had actually mentioned that you're also an educator. That we see folks let children who have you know, kids that are neurodiverse, kids that have other things kind of going on. We let them. People let them do things that they would never allow someone else to do. You know, I always use the example when I'm talking to folks, like, you know, the adorable child with down syndrome at two years old who's hugging the cashier at the grocery store. Everyone thinks that's so cute. But when that child is thirteen or thirty three and walks around the counter to hug the cashier at the grocery store, nobody's gonna think that's cute anymore. That's going to be like a big problem. So we really need to make sure that we are helping folks understand. And you have to start sometimes you have to start really early. You're starting working on skills that you want somebody to have as an adult, sometimes when they're still in elementary school and it seems premature, but it's going to take for them. It's going to take lots of practice and opportunities to get those skills well, very very quickly.
Speaker 3: One thing that we did have to teach Travis was that when he was in the bus or in school, the middle school on that you're going to run into people who are going to ask you to do things that you know you should not and you have to tell them I'm not doing that. And that happened a lot to him on the bus. You know, why don't you go kiss a girl? And we'd try to explain those kinds of things that those boundaries that you just describe, and he would tell people, if you want to kiss her, kiss you go kiss yourself. So we gave him aage and everything else. But those things happened to him in high school with kids would be gone to do things and he was able to stand on his own and say I'm not doing that. So, you know, are the other things people have to prepare for, Like you say, you got to teach him get him ready for what happened.
Speaker 1: So I think, you know, he does have a strong sense of right and wrong, which is very helpful. You know that if somebody did ask him to do something that wasn't wasn't you know, a good thing to do, or maybe was even an illegal thing to do, He's not going to be part of it. He's going to say no, which is you know, incredibly valuable, especially as he's outliving independently. So how do you encourage him to take pride in what he's doing or to you know, give himself some credit for things or does he do that already?
Speaker 2: He does that pretty much himself.
Speaker 3: He you know, like with his medals and this and that, I did this, and he'll call.
Speaker 2: His sisters and I did this many pieces.
Speaker 3: We had to get two thousand, and I got them all done today, and you know, we celebrate those things with him. Well, geez drad, that's great. Or when we go to special Olympics, it's go.
Speaker 2: His nickname is Hutah, yeah, Utah who you know those.
Speaker 3: But we go.
Speaker 2: We support him by.
Speaker 3: Being there for his activities too, you know, watching the Bowl, watching powerlifting. We go as much as we can, so, you know, and when he calls and tells us something, we listen and we you know, praise him when we need to and help him navigate if that's what he's looking for. So, you know, just being a part of what he does, he's he's he might be forty whatever he is, but in a lot of ways, that's not where he is in terms of you know, accomplishments, and so we were we meet him there where he's at.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and I mean he's very accomplished in many ways and ways that other people couldn't be. I know that I could not go work in that factory and produce at the level that that he does. So, you know, I think he's one He's one of the few individuals, honestly, that I've met over the course of my time in the field that I feel incredibly confident, you know, confident actually that he's okay, like he's got this. You know, he's independent, he will be okay, he will he will negotiate the supports that he needs. I suspect that one of his sisters will probably become somebody who tries to offer some of the guidance as you know, as time goes on. Because the unfortunate thing is is usually parents don't out for the most part, parents usually don't outlive their children. So I suspect that you have a have, you know, have a plannery of you know, which which one of the sisters is going to step in and which one it is that he's going to listen to probably when he really needs to, because I know you're usually the person who has to kind of go mail trap. That's not going to work that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, but well, Mary, I am so grateful for you spending some time with us and you know, giving us a little flavor of Travis. I I've contemplated bringing him on the podcast. I know that he would be more than happy to talk for thirty minutes about himself. I'm just trying to figure out how I'll get questions in there somehow and not and not cut him off. He'll probably bring a video of his work so that everyone could see what he's doing. Yeah, but you know, I may I may invite him in the future. I think it would be good for him to come and share share the story from his side as well. Since we got we got a little we got a little story from Kelly about him getting bullied at school and her wanting to stick up for him, and then you know, we've certainly got a lot more from you. Yeah.
Speaker 3: She was a big advocate, you know, I remember it was at the lunch table.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was good that advocacy paid off because she needed it to support her son. So, you know, you just never know when you're gonna need some of the skills that we've learned, you know, as as children and as you so but thank you so much for spending time with us, and hopefully we will. We'll catch up with Travis at some point in the future maybe and I can talk to him about coming and doing this. Maybe he'll listen to yours and see what he thinks.
Speaker 2: So okay, all right, well.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, my pleasure, Thank you for listening to universally you neque exploring the neurodiverse world of the extraordinary. Join me doctor Lorie on Transformation Talk Radio every second and fourth Monday at eleven thirty Pacific time, as we continue to explore navigating the world not designed for diversity, for advocacy and support for individuals with disabilities. Let's connect. Learn more about consulting and life coaching at NOO Holisticconsulting dot com.
Speaker 2: Bustate to the beast Gate