Speaker 1: What a time to be alive. It was announced yesterday. This is Friday, the end of May. Summer is right around the corner, or maybe we're in summer. It depends on how you look at life. But Sydney Sweeney is selling five thousand bars of soap that contained drops of her own bath water in collaboration with Doctor Squatch with the Buxom Young Lad saying, fans always joke about wanting my bathwater. I was like, this is such a cool way to give them what they want.
Speaker 2: Wow, there's really just nothing better than when someone gets it right. Sydney Sweeney gets it. She understands her fans. This is tongue in cheek, but it's also like, this is a big kinky Sydney. This is exactly what we wanted out of you and you gave it to us. So now, like, what's next on list that we want from Sydney switey? Are we gonna get that as well?
Speaker 1: Well? Someone made a joke on X where they had a photoshop of Sharman being like, we have an idea. She went on to say, My hope is that it just gets guys to think about taking care of themselves and cleaning themselves with some healthy products. Yeah, they'll be cleaning one area, thinking about tongue in cheek.
Speaker 2: Why does this bar soak have hot grooves? She has a point. There's a lot of gross dudes out there. You live with a female, so you are you're infinitely more clean than most dudes. I lived with two female relatives for a very long time, so I think I have pretty good cleaning lists, pretty good hygiene for a male. The Mac and Goo program, we're well above the male standard for hygiene and cleanliness. And I take pride in that.
Speaker 1: And I imagine that when you get your order of one hundred bars of soap, you're gonna be on a seafood diet. See soap and eat it.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you the combo of this working so well with the eating soap scene from Friendship is just like that was an A plus tweet from me.
Speaker 1: I mean, you are gonna put the soap in your mouth and just say, oh, I've been a bird boy. I know, my pawn.
Speaker 2: I'm really excited to see what the secondary market is gonna be for these bars of soap.
Speaker 1: I was thinking the exact same thing. If she's only putting out five thousand bars of these soaps. Also, is her body? Is her bath water actually gonna be in these soaps? I'd imagine not, but just a it's good.
Speaker 2: It better come with a fucking car. That's like someone witnessed this, this, this bathwater being ported.
Speaker 1: I need to see that little sapling of water falling. I need I need to know what body part this fell off of. I don't want it from her hair.
Speaker 2: I'll take it for everybody.
Speaker 1: I don't care where it is. If you just tell me that it's from somewhere I'm in, I don't, I don't care. One go three, yeah, chop three, King of Queen Marl Street Entertainment, I'm go. I'm mad, and we are the Mac and Goo program. As you can see, the sunglasses are off and I look okay.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, congratulations, thank you. How's that going for you?
Speaker 1: A little bit of a residual effect right now of some dry skin scabbage over the eye, but it's not as bad as it was. And I hate wearing sunglasses on the pod. I look like a douchebag. And you can see the ring light in my sunglasses, which is incredibly annoying. I would like to applaud anyone who sat through those videos and accepted me for me.
Speaker 2: Will your wife kiss you again? Currently?
Speaker 1: What year is it?
Speaker 2: I just imagine she couldn't look you in your ugly eye for a week or so. There, so no kissing none.
Speaker 1: It wasn't conjunctivitis.
Speaker 2: Is Raffi hugging you again?
Speaker 1: Raffi told me that it was disgusting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, folks, yay. We are discussing Leelo and Stitched the live action remake of the two thousand and two animated Disney movie, and I would say go and E's opinion of the original animated movie is that I would say it's generally underrated, really good Disney movie, maybe not top tier, but right below it.
Speaker 1: It came just after my prime Disney watching years, where as a teenager you're gonna pooh pooh Disney movies and you're not gonna give them enough credit for what they are. But then you'll get back to them when you have kids and you look, that's pretty good. That's a good movie. I do think it's a little inconsistent, maybe pacing wise, because they're trying to wrap things up pretty quickly, but it's a very good Disney movie, pretty.
Speaker 2: Unique compared to the movies that had come out the ten years before it too, So I like that that it's a little astray from the typical thing. And also in general, I don't think either of us wanted or think that really any of these movies need live action remakes. But if you're gonna do it, don't do the five or six definitive like top Tier forty Doggers. Do these ones that were a little more underrated, didn't make maybe as much money as they should have, ones that deserve a second life. And I think this is a prime candidate.
Speaker 1: For Also, if you're Disney and you watch a movie, say like Detective Pikachu. You see that and you say, how do we get a piece of this action? We have something that looks a lot like a Pikachu. Let's go ahead and we'll see merch. Wise, like merch, this movie could have made zero dollars at the box office and it was still worth it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And to your point, when we started seeing teasers for this, I don't know eight much of you Go a year ago. They just showed Stitch, and Stitch looked really good. Yeah, which is a selling point in and of itself.
Speaker 1: That Super Bowl ad where Stitch just runs a muck on the field. You hooked everyone.
Speaker 2: Right there, yep. And your four year old son loved it. This movie loved it, that's it.
Speaker 1: I will say that he was He loved the Stitch parts and he did enjoy the end, but I could kind of tell he was losing a little bit of interest in the first act when they went away from Stitch to set up the family drama.
Speaker 2: I think maybe a six or seven year old might be more interested in the little kid hijinks part of it too. But this is what we're talking about. You know, if your four year old to ten year old loved this movie, that's what their goal is, and that's what all of Disney movies should be geared towards the twelve thirteen, fourteen year olds that they seemingly have gotten into with a lot of like the Pixar related shit Too Goo. On opening weekend, Lelo and Stitch made one hundred and forty six million dollars, which was one million dollars more than it made and in its entire domestic run in two thousand and two, So that's a huge plush. It is up to two hundred and seven million domestic heading into this weekend. It's second weekend, and four hundred and twenty million dollars worldwide, and all that off one hundred million dollar budget. So this is already making money for it. Even if you double up that to two hundred or two fifty, even for marketing, it's already made Buku bucks.
Speaker 1: I hate to bring this up so often, and we'll have to do an update soon. But the fact that I passed on this, and I could have had this movie that I knew was gonna be gangbusters in the movie draft to have seven hot dogs left over, eight on Ballerina and five on lethal weapon, I should be thrown off this podcast.
Speaker 2: Speaking of that, I haven't had an update in a couple months. I'll get the movie.
Speaker 1: Did Davey take this? You did a fuck you want again? You sonny shitch?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure I had this. It was me dat pitch for sure. I'm pretty sure I got it.
Speaker 1: It's actually funny. In our text, Jamee Davy thinks that he drafted every movie.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 1: He's like, oh, did I take this one? Were you there?
Speaker 2: A good? The animated movie ended up making two hundred and seventy million worldwide, so it made a lot of money. It's just it's not it's not talked about in the pantheon it.
Speaker 1: But once again, even with that box office like that's good. But it's the Stitch Merch that really pushes what Disney needs from these movies. Like we talked about a couple of years ago, uh tmnt Mutant Mayhem only made a certain amount at the box office, but Turtle Merch made over a billion, so they said, we'll make a sequel.
Speaker 2: And to that point, gou this movie actually has a sneaky all time great movie poster promoting it. It's all the Disney characters that came before Stitch in the Renaissance era looking down at Stitch, like what the fuck is that sort of thing? Like great marketing.
Speaker 1: Too, Yeah, the O two marketing with its trailers too, where it was Stitch going into other Disney movies and causing camps. Famously went into a whole New World Aladdin and picked up Jasmine. Ign asked him about that and he's like, it was just publicity, guys. Me and Jasmine didn't do anything.
Speaker 2: No hanky panky there. Yeah, dude, this, like its original counterpart, is a PG rated movie. This is an action, adventure, comedy, drama, family, fantasy sub genres. We have alien invasion, buddy comedy, sci fi, epic, space sci fi. There is a decent amount of sci fi to this. And you know what, what I think makes this movie so great and I think kind of kicks it up maybe even a daughter or two. The more you think about it, it does all those things fairly well. It is funny, it is dramatic, It is a faily movie. There is fantasy sci fi there. It's a good adventure, good action. It hits on all of those quite well.
Speaker 1: Can I do actually some sub genres? Sure, Animal, adoption, Okay, ocean right right, Surf there you go. Now we're talking spaceship. This is your favorite surf movie since Surf Ninja's.
Speaker 2: I was just say, forgetting Sarah Marshall.
Speaker 1: That's a good one, but I like Surf Ninjas that as Rob Schneider, who at the time was not a carrot yet or Stapler.
Speaker 2: This movie is one hundred and eight minutes, which is actually twenty minutes longer than the original. To be honest with you, I was a little surprised by that. When I looked it up. It felt about the same since I had just watched the original maybe three days before, four days before. It didn't feel like it was that much longer.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean like I was watching the screening while also watching Lilo and Stitch of my phone at the same time, and I was trying to deep them side by side, and out of nowhere, they just split.
Speaker 2: Goo. I would like the critics to explain themselves here. I don't know what the fuck they're on On roddy T's sixty nine percent from the critics, ninety three percent from the audience. On the flip side, and oh two the original animated version eighty six percent from the critics, seventy eight percent from the audience. I don't know what happened there on Metacritic of fifty three from the critics two seventy four. I don't know what they're missing here, Goo, And I know they like fucking drawing a line in the sand against stuff like these Disney lives.
Speaker 1: They also don't want to put Barry Bonds in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, this is a legit good movie, good family movie. There's really not many things wrong with this movie other than it being a remake. But like, if you're gonna go see that. You already know it's a remake, so get that out of your fucking brain, you know.
Speaker 1: And if you're mad about the changes, I could see the audience being mad about that. And we'll get into this in a second. But if you're a critic, it doesn't really check. I mean, it does make some things. It makes things more convenient, means it a better story. It makes it more convenient. No, I think it makes it a better it makes choices easy.
Speaker 2: No, no, I think it makes it a better family story and a more relatable story. Speaking of rankly, it should be rated better than the original.
Speaker 1: Credit to my iPhone, it auto corrected what I sent you yesterday to Obama means family, which I'm not even sure if it does not to get poly charged.
Speaker 2: But you know, there's someone out there this week that HETEs Obama that was fucking furious that their their iPhone corrected Ohana to Obama, so that.
Speaker 1: My phone also corrected Lelo to Polo, Polo and Stitch.
Speaker 2: When I got that, I was I first of all, I went to Poo over Polo, and then I was like, oh, it's clearly Leo.
Speaker 1: There is chickens in the movie.
Speaker 2: There are chickens. Correct, Look at all these chickens goo. This movie is written by Chris ka kakan Nia Kilani Bright Mike van and it is of course based on the script from the original movie by Chris Sanders and Dean Deblas. You would know Chris Cacannio Kalani Bright as an additional crew member on Mowana.
Speaker 1: That's how I would know him. That's how I know him.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't know Mike Van Wess from anything. So this is a real nice kickstarter for those two. Clearly, when Disney does this, they're trying to prop up like up and coming sort of filmmakers producers that I actually think they like to prop people up. So credit to them for putting people, giving people that platform.
Speaker 1: You can ship in one hand and wish in the other. It's the same.
Speaker 2: We wouldn't know Mike Van Ways from anything, but we might know him well in a couple of years ago, because what he's working on is two untitled horror movies, the untitled Leprechaun project and then the untitled Wizard of Oz horror project. So that must be coming up on It's what is that called IP?
Speaker 1: It's IP is.
Speaker 2: Up yeah, whatever, whatever, public public domain because apparently he's working on that, and again based on the two script by Chris Sanders and Dean Dubla. They also co directed that career.
Speaker 1: Sanders, that's the voice of Leroy from Leroy and Stitch.
Speaker 2: That's also the voice of Stitch from Stitch.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, how did I miss that? How did I not Stitch to the Maid for VHS or DVD at the time. I'm sorry, I'm dating myself here, the fourth film in the Lelan Stitch franchise that went straight to DVD.
Speaker 2: In which Chris Sander's voice acted everyone and wrote and directed it. Uh do. That duo has worked together a ton since teaming up on Mulan and Chris Sanders actually has a remarkable career outside of his voice acting and his ten or fifteen years dedicated to me, he also was a writer on Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Mulan, of course, Lelan Stitch, How to Train Your Dragon, The Cruds, and the Wild Robot from Last Year, which we he's also getting, oddly enough, a live action roommake to How to Train Your Dragon, So Big Year or maybe a Big Punch to the Gut for Chris Sanders.
Speaker 1: I just saw on Instagram A real was suggested to me and it was Pedro Pascal voicing the Fox from the Wild Robot. It was him and the booth doing it real, nice effortless work.
Speaker 2: I like that you you baval appreciate voice.
Speaker 1: I love watching people do voiceover work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. It is good stuff good. This movie is directed by Dean Fleischer Camp, who I was aware of many not maybe not many other people because he directed the movie Marcel the Shell Shoes On from a couple of years ago. That is a really nice heartfelt story that began as a YouTube series from like twenty ten, which starred at the time his then wife Jenny Slate. They are now divorced. But I think Dean Fleischer Camp has a way of telling nice, heartfelt stories, and I think this movie confirms that. Synopsis A lonely Hawaiian girl befriends a runaway alien, helping to mend her fragmented family. Good enough. This movie stars and we'll get to the animated counterparts after I run through this year. Gou Maya Kieloa as Lilo, Sydney Agudong as Nanny, Chris Sanders as Stitch, which Gou just found out. Zach Galifanakis is Jumba, Billy Magnuson as Pleakly, Courtney b Vance as Cobra Bubbles, Amy Hill as Tutu, Tia Carrera as ms Kakoa Kaypo Do Doit? Dodua as David, and Hannah Wattingham as Grand Councilwoman. Now, out of all of these, Gou I didn't really have an issue with any of them, but in comparison to the originals, I found one or two things that I didn't particularly care for. So the voice of Lelo the little girl here, I thought she did a really nice job. I thought she was very good, and she did a good job of like being a little brat too, which just roll calls for. So I thought it was an improvement over the animated version.
Speaker 1: First off, I like that they used at least a couple of the voice actors from either that movie or the shows or the other movies in live action performances. Here. Tia Carrera was the original Nanni. They created a role for her in this movie. She was the public servant the child's care And I actually like that they split the character of Bubbles and that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the original Lelo Da Vid Davey Chase. She was good. Don't get me wrong. I just I think I just preferred the live action version because you get more out of that performance. As Gou mentioned, Tia Carrera was the original Nani who She's got a great voice, so that voice works. I don't know how to compare him. I really liked this version of Nanni as well. It felt a little it felt younger than the version in the animated version did, and I think that's better for the story. Chris Sanders, of course, did both versions. My biggest issue with this version was Zach all Fanacas's jumba. The original version was David Ogden Steers. He's just it's odd to me that the animated version was more grounded and the live action version was like more cartoonish.
Speaker 1: It's also kind of weird how so Zach elifanakus in this and he also voiced the joker in Lego Batman and didn't try to change his voice at all.
Speaker 2: And I know he already has a bit of a zany voice, so I get it to a certain degree. But it was the first thing that I was distracted by was his voice in this role.
Speaker 1: Also, they added the character of Tutu to uh make things a little bit easier at the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Amy Hill plays the neighbor Tou Tou, who's borderline elderly woman, who's a neighbor that has sort of looked over Lelo.
Speaker 1: Right, she has looked over Lelo and Nanni. She has a son, so she is a mother. She when watching Leelo, lets her have fun, lets her adventure out, but she still has an eye on her. You can that if Leelow was in her custody, she would be in good hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's that's for sure. Amy Hill voice a character named missus Hasagawa and the animated version who was just like a forgetful old woman that owned a shop nine He tried to get a job from her. But a minor role compared to this character. Billy Magdison as Pleakly I thought was really good, but not on the level that Kevin McDonald was as the original Pleakly. And if you don't know who Kevin McDonald is, google him. You'll instantly recognize him and you'll hear his voice and you know he is. Billy Madison does do a good job here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he plays a cartoon character. He's a cartoon.
Speaker 2: Courtney b Vance's Cobra Bubbles. The original version, of course, was ving rams and as much as we love ving Rames, Courtney b Vance's version brought a little more. He was still intimidating, a little more normal.
Speaker 1: He was softer, too little softer.
Speaker 2: It just fit this version better than ving Ra James's character did. Of course, we mentioned to your career as miss Kakoa. She is the like social worker that's introduced at the beginning of this movie. It doesn't exist in the animated version. Kaipo du duat du doi. I don't know how you pronounced that as David sort of one of the same to me. I didn't really notice too much from Jason Scott Lee. I think he nailed the like awkwardness of that character and like his bashfulness towards Nonnie. Uh. And then we get Hannah Wattingham as the Grand Councilwoman versus as Grand counsel Woman. Yeah, which it was actually good. You couldn't tell, right, Yeah, pretty good.
Speaker 1: Well done. Actually, I thought it was just it felt like a regular, not a regular. I'm not trying to insult anybody here, but it just felt like a like a voice actor, like a working voice actor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, it it was. It was well done so like I think, and there's a couple of characters that get deleted in this version from the animated version, but I would say, like if you're looking plus's minuses pluses, I would say Amy Hill is too too. Minus Galfanacus's jumpa and everything else is sort of level, you know, so it's all good to me.
Speaker 1: I feel that way about so much of this movie where it's level. They did everything as adequately as they possibly could. We knew what we were getting, and if it wasn't for the public discourse and everything that I am being recommended on Facebook, x and Instagram, I would almost forget about this movie. But not in a bad way. They did their job. They didn't get me mad, but the discourse about the ending has it has me furious.
Speaker 2: I think you're under selling it with those remarks. I thought this movie was pretty good in a great kids movie. I think this is a great kids movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think it's We'll do hot dogs in a second. Let me get to this first, though. Some other Lelo and Stitch properties leading up to this, we have the twenty zero two that was the original animated movie we now.
Speaker 2: Just stopped doing.
Speaker 1: I'm not allowed to do it on the radio. I can do it here if I want. I'm in charge here. Then we have three straight to DVD movies. We have Stitch the movie that is about bad guys retrieving more experiments. Stitch is having a tough time fitting in. In twenty oho five Lelo and Stitch two, Stitch has a glitch. This is set between the original film and Statch, and then in twenty oh six, starring Chris Anderson as both characters.
Speaker 2: Chris Sanders, What did I say, Chris Sanderson, mister Anderson, that's a crossover. We need Stitch in the matrix.
Speaker 1: We have Leroy and Stitch and this is another experiment. His name is Leroy. Shall we get to TV? Yeah, let's say the TV Okay TV From O three to six, we have Leelo and Stitch the series. This was on ABC Kids and Disney Channel. That was after a little delay. From nine to fifteen. We have a Japanese anime that I am now very intrigued by. This was called Stitch. I'm gonna check that one out. Twenty seventeen we have Stitch and Ai. This was first in China and then went to Disney. Now that I that was the original streaming that Disney had, right.
Speaker 2: It must be, it must be.
Speaker 1: And then for video games, we have nine of them across many of platforms, Nintendo, DS, Game Boy, Advance, PS two and others.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I ever played a Leloan Stitch game.
Speaker 1: I mean, if it was, I'm picturing remember from like nine, the Wolverine game for PS three. Yeah, yeah, I'm picturing Stitch in that role. Yeah, that's not bad, just going out in mauling people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: First things first, Number one with the Bullet Hawaiian roller Coaster is awesome.
Speaker 2: I I don't know what the words are, but it's catchy and I enjoy it. It's funny, too fun to me as a as a Hawaiian shirt wear, you know, authentic Hawaiian made Hawaiian shirt here goo. So I'm the expert on the property. Great song, great two.
Speaker 1: That's my only note.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's get through the gauntlet.
Speaker 1: All right, the gauntlet a fun factor. Stitch is fun.
Speaker 2: Stitch is very fun. Stitch is really fun. And I also think other kids like watching Braddy Kids and Leelo's kind of a brat, right, so that's fun too.
Speaker 1: I'm also able to use the the Stitch bad meter with my son. I'm like, hey, you're bad up to here, Let's bring it down to here, satisfactor. And I'm a little mike riled up just and it's not because of the movie. It's because of goddamn social media. And I'm not even sure if these people are real.
Speaker 2: So did you just make a Sarage reference? There is that? What's happening right now? Uh huh. I would say that the climax of this movie is not as satisfying as the animated version. However, the consequences and where characters end up in this movie I thought was a little more satisfying than the animated version.
Speaker 1: Borometer. I was getting a little bored as they were setting up the family drama and there was no stitch for what twenty minutes? Twenty five minutes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe that long, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: It felt like hours.
Speaker 2: I didn't have that that didn't exist for me, and that I even knew that going in. You had said that to me, you'd seen it before I had, and uh no, I didn't. I liked I enjoyed the characters. I liked. I liked the high drinks there amongst the Big Sister, Little Sister.
Speaker 1: Dynamic Halloween will this wane over time, and I feel like outside of the conversation of best Disney live action movies, I'm not gonna remember this a ton I'll bring it up in that conversation. It's probably my number two, but I'm not gonna say forgettable. That's that's too much. But it's satisfactory. It did what it was supposed to do, but it's it's not the best.
Speaker 2: I mean, the issue really here is and this is a bit like with the Sonic movies. I think this sort of falls in to a similar area as them. Those have been getting better, but what they're lacking in what kids love, especially younger kids, is the music, right, and so this doesn't have the great music and sing alongs that the best Disney movies have. So as much as I love the story here and his heartfelt as the story is, that makes it like a really good kid in family movie, it just doesn't have that musical dynamic that a lot of those all time greats do have.
Speaker 1: I agree they should have played Hawaiian roller Coaster seven times.
Speaker 2: Or they should have had like I don't know, they should have had like when when You're when you got free rein you know, we're actually a movie. You know.
Speaker 1: They didn't play a lot of Elvis in this. I feel like they played more Elvis in the animated one, right.
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Elvis it's a big deal in Hawaii. Correct, Yeah, he didn't. Is that Bruno Mars started? Uh? Wasn't he in Hawaii? He was an Elvis Hawaiian?
Speaker 2: I mean he was an Elvis impersonator.
Speaker 1: But was it in Hawaii?
Speaker 2: I don't know if he's from Hawaiian. I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Bring up the next one. I'm gonna look it up.
Speaker 2: A quarter world. Is this better or worse than twenty seventeen's Aquaman or in nineteen ninety four's water World? What you'ar did Aquaman come out? What year did the water World come out?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So he was age four, live in Hawaii, Elvis Medley, little Bruno Mars.
Speaker 2: Look at that.
Speaker 1: Where is he from? I feel like everyone claims him. It's like the Chappelle show Racial Draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all races are claiming Bruno and he can sort of he can kind of code change, like that he can be whatever he needs to be.
Speaker 1: This is better than Aqua Worlds. That's not what it's called water World, but i'd probably water World. I like, I'm really warming up to water World. We might have to change this soon.
Speaker 2: Uh. This movie's better than both of those movies, Aquaman and water World.
Speaker 1: Plemonade. For those of you who don't know, Jesse Plemons is the man, and when he pops up in something, we say, holy shit, that is great cow. Who is that guy? Oh, we know who that is. It's Jesse Plemons and he makes things better. Who did that in this movie? Is Bubbles in? Not enough of this movie to count him?
Speaker 2: I tell you, yeah, you could count him. I'll give you that. I really liked Amy Hills, like motherly feeling in inspiration in this movie, which you just simply don't have in the animated version. So I'll give it to Amy.
Speaker 1: Hill Pants, tent City, Excite, bike Mania. What got you going in this movie? I'm not sure if anything did.
Speaker 2: Well speak for yourself. I thought Nannie was pretty attractive.
Speaker 1: Should I ask if you would purchase Bathwater?
Speaker 2: Listen?
Speaker 1: Are we gonna add that to the guard If we're making.
Speaker 2: A list of bars of soap I would purchase to feature of women's bathwater in it. I don't know what the number is.
Speaker 1: I would like one day for the shelves behind you to just be covered in celebrity bathwater soap, and what a collection it would be. Max Credit Union.
Speaker 2: I think I gotta give it to Maya ki Lowa as Lelo. We talk about how all the time children actors ruined shit. Well, this movie is predominantly dominated by a child actor. I don't know how old she is in real life, maybe eight years old. She's playing like six in this. I thought she was really fucking good, conveyed the emotional moments well, was funny when she needed to be. I thought she was really good, really really good.
Speaker 1: Hot Dog roller coaster ride.
Speaker 2: Fucking nailed it absolutely.
Speaker 1: I had to think about it for like thirty seconds and how to start it, how to finish it.
Speaker 2: On a hot uh coaster ride.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get to this here, Mac, I'll go first. The movie is solid enough. I think it's one of the better Disney live action movies, but that it's not saying much because that's what all of the headlines are saying, Like it's the best, Yeah, but people don't like those.
Speaker 2: I think we agree. Number one is a lad.
Speaker 1: I like Aladdin more than most. I think Aladdin is fun, and I think and like the CGI isn't the best, but I like Will Smith's Genie well.
Speaker 2: It also turned Jasmine from a damsel in distress to a badass in Naomi Scott's moment in that movie where she like has that emotional outburst with the song's fucking amazing and actually was maybe the best part of that movie and makes you wish that the animated movie had that, And I would say this has some elements of making you wish the animated movie had something. All the other live action remakes have not felt like they needed to add something to the original version that those two versions have, so I would say this is probably number two live action Disney remake based on that. However, I love The Lion King so much, but that I also still loved that live action remake.
Speaker 1: And Ja'afar is hot. Stitch looks great in this, and there's enough high jinks to keep the kids entertained. The first act is kind of boring for me, setting up the family drama, but you do need that for the end. You need that for the big, big gut punch at the end. I really like the two main actors. I would have preferred keeping the character of gun tow in there, but whatever, you know, the movie's passed. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna pick it outside Justice for.
Speaker 2: The guys, the big bad ye alien guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's whatever. At the beginning, I was more indifferent slash slightly down on the ending of the movie because I feel like they split the baby with the bathwater. I didn't think they really made a choice, like they made you go one side or the other. It was super convenient because of another thing that was added to this movie that's not really in the original. It's a portal gun if you don't know. But I guess, like thirty one hot dogs, I think it's good.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, I mean I'm not far off from you. I really liked, again the addition of the character of Tutu. That just made this feel a little more heartfell, little more homely, and also just outright makes sense in a situation like this, in a village like that. I feel like that's more accurate than what the animated version provided us. I also feel like at the end of this movie, there's a decision made that benefits all of the characters, whereas in the animated version you don't quite get that either. Yes, it does fall short in a couple of the fantastic movements that the animated version has. That's always gonna happen when you're talking animated verse live action, and I agree that the climax of this movie towards the end probably falls a little short to what the rest of the movie was gliding towards. Because I felt like this movie was really, really good. I think it's a great kids movie. It's not a movie I'm like desperate to rewatch, but I could see a child really loving this movie and wanting to rewatch. It's just a really good family story tugs on the heartstrings a little bit. I have it at thirty three Hot Talks. I think it's a great kids movie and good for all ages in general, but it does lack that rewatchability. It doesn't have that musical aspect. But Stitch is fun. Kids are gonna love that. I think a lot of families are gonna love the family dynamic in this.
Speaker 1: Shall we get the spoilers, let's do it? Spoiler spoilers, el Hannah means given your child to the state. Mac So the end of.
Speaker 2: This movie, after you know, everyone gets saved, YadA YadA, uh Amy hills Tou tou, which is in addition to this movie, as we've already said three or four times, she takes on Lelo, takes custody of Lelo, they live uphill from Nanni and Lelo, and Nanni is still able to go and pursue her passions as well. So in this version of the story, Lelo probably receives a better upbringing than what she did in the animated and Nanni also has a better life than what she did in the animated And it just makes so much sense to me, and it like it just adds a nice touch to this movie that the animated version doesn't have. And it also hammers home that point right that the whole point of Stitch in Lelo's relationship Ohanna doesn't need to be blood, and so adding that aspect really sells that even more. I loved it.
Speaker 1: I loved her addition to this movie also by adding her and then you add the convenience of a of a of a portal gun it then yes, Nanni goes off to college at the end, but distance doesn't matter anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. That's a good point too. And I was thinking about it during the movie too. I was like, oh, you know what, the portal gun is a nice I almost wanted a couple more gizmos and gadgets from space that that would work.
Speaker 1: It was just the one over and over and over again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just the dark gun in that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nanni is eighteen nineteen years old. She has no job, They now have no house, she has no health insurance. I'm not saying like they should have taken the girl away from her. I mean maybe, but I don't think she was ready to raise lelo to. I think of my brother at the age of eighteen nineteen years old. I would probably not be here today if he was raising me at that age. I think of myself at that age trying to raise I'm thirty six. I can barely do it. I have a child. Raising children is extremely difficult, especially when it is thrust upon you after a family tragedy. Ohana is it's not just those two. They have a family friend that they have been with forever. They added that character on purpose to then make it easier at the end. Once again, it does make it a little bit easier at the end to then say it's more responsible, because first off, Tutu can actually take care of lie Low, and she's not this like old staunch, like like she's a no fun person. She has fun throughout the entire movie. And she's also already raised a child, and this is only a placeholder for like five years maybe, And once again, the distance does not matter. The distance no longer matters.
Speaker 2: Well, I also think right not that the animation animated version advocates or inspires people to have kids at nineteen years old. I think it's just a better message to show you and display the kids that like this is out there, you know. And yes, there have been hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people that have been in a situation like Nanni, that have taken on a lilo, and it is nice to have someone that would make that sacrifice for their younger sibling or a younger cousin. But it is a sacrifice, and so I like that this movie shows you that that doesn't necessarily need to be done, you know what I mean, Like, people are still gonna be okay if you don't make that sacrifice. And I just preferred this version of the story that with the consequences than the animated.
Speaker 1: And it also with the no one gets left behind with Ohanna. If she stayed there to take care of her sister, obviously things could have went well for them, but she also could have been left behind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, yeah, I just I just think it's a better think.
Speaker 1: Of the movie That's My Boy, think of Donnie Berg trying to raise his young Andy Samberg child and Andy Samberg getting new kids on the block, tattoos on his back.
Speaker 2: I just like the idea that you know, Nanny's still allowed to pursue her passions and have her life as well, which you just don't have in the animated version, I think.
Speaker 1: And they made a deal. She's not being taken to a whole new a whole new family, a new city, a new towns, a state village. She's moving next door and they build the house and they'd make a nice family with all of them.
Speaker 2: All right. Couple other changes here, Number one Jumba, and this is the one that bothered me most. This is the character voice by Galfanakas in the animated version. By the end of the movie, Jumba sort of is like more of an anti hero than a villain. He's out for selfish reasons, but also has like an appreciation for Stitch. In this he's more of an outright villain. He doesn't have an appreciation at all for Stitch, and that's because they get rid of Goon to the big bad alien guy, which by the way, was voiced by what's his name, Kevin Michael Richardson in the original, the guy that voices Elmo, And they put all those characters.
Speaker 1: Into huh, Kevin clashes Almo.
Speaker 2: Sure, they put these two characters mismatched together and Jumpa takes on both things. I didn't care for that necessarily, and I also didn't care for Calvinox's voice work. So I do think that's the weakest part of this movie the story. And then we get to Bubbles as well, which she talked about briefly at the top. So in the animated version, Bubbles is the social worker from the outset from the beginning of the movie, and by the end it's implied that he inserts himself into the situation because the extraterrestrial stuff he taught he brings up. Roswell in that version, which doesn't get brought up here, and this version he inserts himself into the situation a little bit into the movie once he realizes there's something, you know, maybe extra tresto of something weird going on. And I think it just makes more sense from a storytelling standpoint in a kid's movie to do it this way. I don't mind that in the original version you find out at the end it's like, ah, that's kind of cool, YadA YadA. I think just from a storing Telly standpoint for children, this works better. And I also like that Miss Kakoa is like that really heartfelt friendly person trying to help Nanny at the beginning, whereas in the animated version, Bubbles is just a dickhead from the jump not trying to help Nanny, and Miss Kakoa really gives you what a real social worker would be like. And so I preferred this split to Cocoa and Bubbles over strictly Bubbles in the animated.
Speaker 1: Just as soon as Tutu popped up, I was like, just just give it Leelo to her, like it's it's.
Speaker 2: Around on ATV too. It's fucking great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And once again it's a placeholder Nanni will be back, and Nanny this is a free education, so we're not looking at student loans. And then when she gets back, she's gonna have a whole new job where she can actually make money. She's not gonna be, you know, working a job just to make enough to then cover things. And like, I don't want to get into this, but health insurance is something that I stumble over constantly. Sure, I get that a nineteen year old might slip their brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jeff Piel, Jeff Peel, we also should have provided this when we're giving dog scores goop for some context. Yeah, what would you give the animated version of this story?
Speaker 1: Thirty four thirty five thirty four? I'll say thirty four.
Speaker 2: I was thinking thirty five thirty six. OK, So I'm a little bit higher on the animated, a little bit higher here. And so as much as we like some of the changes in this movie, admittedly it's still it's still at a live action remake that we don't necessarily crave. So that's that's why there's a little bit of a difference. But I would say two or three dogs less for this version than the original, And you're saying probably three or four less than the original.
Speaker 1: Mac heard my score and said, stitch, please, I've got ninety nine problems and a stitch ain't one. Do you have any more?
Speaker 2: No, that's it, that's all you got.
Speaker 1: Let's get into.
Speaker 2: Macsack, move Stitch, get out the way, Mac.
Speaker 1: Sac could be anything. It could be a boat, Mac. You have two pieces here too. Topics real quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I don't know if I'm gonna do last of Us episode with anyone.
Speaker 1: I think you should good.
Speaker 2: Dogged me and I don't feel like talking to anyone. But just a quick synopsis of season two. First two episodes, last two episodes amazing, great, The middle three presented a little bit of a lull, but clearly necessary to tell the story that they're gonna tell. Over are confirmed. Now four seasons. We're left off with a cliffhanger at the end of season two. Here only seven episodes, so that's a little bothersome. So I think clearly season one better there is in season two. But like, how many times in a four or five season show are we saying, like, ah, season two is the best season? Like it never is? So with context, I think that's totally fine. And as long as they nail. The next couple of seasons will be good, but more so, what I want to talk about, GOO is the rehearsal another HBO show that just ended this week. This is the Nathan Fielders show we remember from a couple of years ago, how Zany it Got? And Nathan Fielder of course Nathan for You, which is I think is an all time great comedic show. Goo. I'm legit having trouble finding words to describe what this season of the show, what this season of televisian, Season two of the rehearsal did. What Nathan Fielder was able to pull off, It's legitimately insane and fucking amazing at the same time. I just need people to watch it all six to see what it culminates in. It's legit insane, crazy, and I was in awe watching the final thirty or forty minutes of the finale and it might actually lead to change in real life. What he's done. Nathan Fielder has got to be the most motivated and created person on the planet, and I think he's actually capable of doing anything he sets his mind to. And I'm just I'm so impressed. I'm not saying it's like the greatest season of television ever. But it is legitimately it's one of the most insane seasons of television forever. That's for sure.
Speaker 1: All Right, Mac, where can the folks find us?
Speaker 2: You can find us on x and on Instagram, at Mac and Goo podcast every other platform we are Mac AMBERSANGHO. That's max Shift seven Goo. It includes Facebook, Stitch Tune and castbuck Speaker, Google.
Speaker 1: iHeartRadio, Heart Radio.
Speaker 2: We are on Apple Podcasts. We are on Spotify, but more importantly on Apple podcast Rate review, subscribe five stars. If we do that, we'll get your free Macinggo T shirt from folks. We're not going to where that's Watchtime Sports War on thirty four, ABN Street, watchtow Sports, woy dot com expert screenprinting and.
Speaker 1: Embroidery tapabook dot com. Check us out. Next week we'll have a news dump for one of the episodes. Maybe Mac will talk about the last of us who knows. And we also, oh, we didn't see Karate Kid this weekend, so we're not going to talk about that.
Speaker 2: And I will not be seeing that.
Speaker 1: I'm still I'm fucking confused because I thought the Jackie Chan one was a reboot slash remake, but apparently it's been folded into the regular continuity.
Speaker 2: Apparently they got a fucking MCU situation here.
Speaker 1: I don't know what's happening. Yeah, I don't know what's happening. I I was, I was doing a little bit of research yesterday because I saw that it was a sequel to both nineteen eighty four The Karate Kid and twenty Ten's The Karate Kid.
Speaker 2: And when Jackie Chan talks about the twenty ten version and how he was roped into playing that character, they're like, oh, you're playing Miyagi. So I like how it's he's mister Han though, yes, I know, but they're sold to him as it was mister Miyagi. So I don't know how. I just don't get it. I don't understand.
Speaker 1: At least Jackie Chan is getting nice little payday right now. Yeah, he has a lot of money, by the way, that's what he does.
Speaker 2: Have a lot of cake.
Speaker 1: Rush Hours one and two fantastic.
Speaker 2: Oh did you see. Also they're talking about doing a Rush Hour.
Speaker 1: Four that's been in the news for a while, and he's saying, please hurry up, he's gonna die. Well no, so he said that he wants the movie to be made with less money and less time. Okay, less money, less time, Rush it through, Rush hour it through. You're gonna get a better result rush Hour three. They took too much time on it, spent too much money on it. Not that good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't. It wasn't.
Speaker 1: I would like another Shanghai Night. That's him and Owen Wilson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Shanghai nun was I believe it was the first one.
Speaker 1: Okay, so, uh, Shanghai Morning would be the next one.
Speaker 2: Evenings, Well, no.
Speaker 1: We've already done night, Shanghai Naps. No, think of some more day parts. It's all I go. We're new to life, so we don't know what's happening.
Speaker 2: I'm cool with naps. Naps. He's a little older, old guys.
Speaker 1: Two old guys taking naps in the West. Once upon a time in the West took a nap. About damn time in the West took another nap.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess they probably didn't work harder, so there were sless snaps, or they didn't work at all, and they only know.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's the crossover we need. We need Shanghai Nights and Wild Wild West jam those some bitches to either full of those continuities together.
Speaker 2: If we can do if we can do twenty one Jump Street and Men in Black, we can do Wild West in Shanghai Knights.
Speaker 1: I would love to see elderly Jackie Chan fighting a robotic spider and scene. Tuesdays are Guesdays. I use kangaroos, Tam Burton Bye. Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure. Now it's time for girls jumping on trambopa leins