Speaker 1: Welcome to the Auction Brief. There's a joy in these games or not, taking you on a journey through fantasy football, the law, and life. We saw your It depends on how much you want.
Speaker 2: And now you're legal analyst and auction draft expert here to help you dominate your fantasy drafts.
Speaker 1: Your host, Drew Davenport, there are full hearts.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, welcome into the Auction Brief. As the lady said, I'm your host, Drew Davenport, and thank you so much for joining me for another episode of the Auction Brief. The calendar has turned to July. Can you feel the suspense building In just a couple of months, we're going to be watching football. That's awesome. But we've only got about three weeks left until training camps are open, so we're going to continue to talk about some stuff that's going to help us in drafts before we get a deluge of information from training camp that we can use and start to react to. But we have a fantastic lineup coming up for the Auction Brief. I've heard back from some people that are going to be appearing on the show, so I'm really stoked about that. Next week, we have Joe Dolan coming on from Fantasy Points, and if you don't know Joe and you're an auction guy, you really need to get to know Joe. But also, we're going to do an auction spectacular next week. It's not going to be as much about players like normal. We're going to flip the script because today is going to be about player evaluation and then Tuesday is going to be about auction talk. So we're crazy here, man, We're crazy. We're doing stuff completely different, man. But I think that one of the things that I continue to hear from my supporters is that they love when I go into player conversation, when I give my player takes and how I'm approaching auctions with certain players. People just absolutely love that stuff. And so I'm going to do that today. We'll talk about that in just a second. But we're turning the calendar to July and in the next three weeks. These players have a lot of something that we don't want them to have, and it's not money, it's time. They had a lot of time. Over the next three weeks, somebody's gonna get in trouble, and hopefully we're gonna hear something about Josh Jacobs. But over the next few weeks, what you need to be doing is building up your opinions about what you're going to be doing in August when it comes time to actually draft, and then you need to be doing some mocks and seeing if what you're thinking about is actually working. There are too many places out there to do mos now for you not to do some before you play.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be running some.
Speaker 2: I've got one coming up here next week, and so I'm going to hit that hard after the fourth of July. It's it's been hard to get a mock together. Frankly, just to be honest with you, people are not tuned in yet. It's just been hard. So I'm not I just I dropped it for now. We're going to get back at get back at it after the fourth of July and start doing some mocks. But you got to start thinking about what you're going to do, what your approach is going to be, and if you like my approach, great, use it, but start testing it out in those mock drafts and seeing if it is achievable. And that's where I want to start the show today. You know, I went heavy last week with theory and let's just be honest, it wasn't heavy with theory. It was ninety eight percent theory. And I wanted to do that because I think it's really important that we end the month of June talking about how we're going to get our heads right, how we're going to approach these auctions from a meta standpoint, and then once we lay that down, we can start getting into the details here in July about the auctions but also about players, and then in August we can start flying towards what our goals are going to be in our twenty twenty six straight. So last week was heavy on theory. This week is going to be the complete opposite for my solo effort. We're going to talk all of the players that I want you to be dialed into for this upcoming season, and hey, I reserve the right to change my opinions on some of these guys. And I think that you want a fantasy analyst who changes their mind sometimes, right, That's exactly what we're supposed to be doing. When new information is presented, somebody gets hurt. Coaches say something player starts running with the ones instead of the two. Is like, this is kind of stuff you want your analysts to be pliable. It doesn't mean that your analyst waffles or isn't sure. It's just that new information comes up and you want your analyst to change their opinion. We don't want to be anchoring our opinions, so it's important to get these opinions out there now because then we can follow them and see whether or not these opinions are actually going to work. I wrote a column for the Patreon about this idea at the end of last summer, saying, you know players that I've changed my mind on. I'm going to do that again this summer because it's really helpful for me to look at my biases, look at my previous ideas about players, and then figure out where I stand and why I stand that way, because it's different from six weeks ago or eight weeks ago when we started this whole process. So I want to talk player evaluations today, and I want to alert you to the fact that the salary cap summit than all the details have been officially released, So I'm going to be bombarding you with that over the next month because it is in early August, so we got about a month I've wanted to bring it up now when I'm talking about the Patreon, because I'm going to give preference to the people in the Patreon for the leagues I'm trying to fill for the salary Cap Summit. The summit, for those of you that don't know, is Night one is going to be an auction draft for people who have less experience, usually less than ten auction drafts in their life. It's going to be one quarterback. It's going to have kickers and defenses. It's going to be a super straightforward league. That's Night one, and I'll be doing commentary during the entire auction. Night two will be another auction for more advanced auction drafters. It'll be a superflex two QB league with no kickers and no defenses. That'll switch things up even more so. I'll do commentary both nights, and then on Night three, that's August the fourth, we have a panel featuring guys like Jim Coventry, Scott Pianowski. There's some other mystery guests that I have not yet nailed down, but that we'll have in there as well. So three nights August, second, third, and fourth. If you want to be in those leagues. The first two nights. It's going to be twenty four spots. I'm taking at least seventy five to eighty percent from the Patreon first, because that's the benefit of being part of the Patreon is that you get first DIBs on this kind of stuff. And then after that I'll go to Twitter to fill a couple spots and I'll do like a little drawing or something like that. This is independent of the Auction Brief Listener League, so don't confuse those two. But again, you have to be a part of the Patreon order to get into the Auction Brief Listener League. Again, around seventy five eighty percent. We're not taking everybody from the Patreon, but it helps to be in there. You get preferential treatment. So head over there. It's Fantasy Football Lawyer on Patreon. It's four dollars a month. You can find me on Twitter at Drew Davenport FF. Let's be done with the preliminaries. I'm really stoked about the salary Cap summit, and I could keep rambling on about it, but you all know you hear the details.
Speaker 1: We're ready to rock.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about some players today, because like I said, it's popular with people, and I have a lot of fun breaking down some different categories of players. I've got four categories of players that I want you to be aware of in your auctions this summer auction talk. I've got four different categories of players. So I know the episode is titled My Guys for twenty twenty six, and that's true, but I have four different categories that are much different than your tip my guys conversation, and those are four different categories of guys I want you to start paying attention to as we go through the next six to eight weeks. And again, I reserve the right to change my mind on some of these guys. But right now, this is how I'm feeling, and this is where I believe the trends are going. We're getting into that time of year where the trends are established, the narratives are established, and these players are going a certain direction for a reason, and I think we have enough data behind us now to start saying, Okay, we're getting into redraft season in July, what are we going to do with some of these guys? But I want to talk about guys. I like guys. I'm going to take a leap of faith on guys that I don't like and guys that I think are too cheap and can fill the back of our roster. So I'll give you those taglines in just a second here, but let's get into the four different categories of players that are my guys for twenty twenty six auctions. By way of introduction with this topic today, I want to talk briefly about Jackson Smith and Jacoba because I ended up with him on a lot of teams last year. My two most rostered receivers were JSN and DeVante Adams last year, and Adams of course worked out because he scored eleventy billion touchdowns.
Speaker 1: But and might I note that I'm hearing the.
Speaker 2: Regression birds out and they are crazy again about DeVante Adams. I understand that he had a supreme runout with his touchdowns last year, but let's not pretend that Davante Adams doesn't score touchdowns. And when people say regression, it kind of drives me nuts because regression means different things for different people. The term regression means that the person's going to come back to the mean, but that doesn't mean they're going to come back to the NFL mean. Or even the mean of certain types of players. They come back to their own mean, and DeVante Adams has scored double digit touchdowns for most of his career, So a guy that scored fourteen, it's not that crazy. Maybe he comes back to ten and yeah, maybe he's not a super valuable receiver, but he's not being drafted like one. So don't forget that when we talk about regression. But I get off track a little bit because I wanted to talk about JSN, largely because I had him on so many teams. Last year, I won zero titles with JASN, which makes me laugh.
Speaker 1: I kind of love it.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like when you quadruple up near the bubble and then you still end up bubbling in a poker tournament. It didn't get me anything, but I made perhaps the one of the best calls of my entire fantasy career, and certainly one of the best calls of my fantasy analyst career. And I met a lot of you out there are saying, dude, we really didn't hear you talking about JSN.
Speaker 1: That much, and you'd be right.
Speaker 2: And one of the things that I want to talk about today is that I want to own that I want to own the fact that I didn't hype up Jasn enough. And the reason is not because I didn't like him. It's because I didn't realize what kind of price I was going to get for him. I didn't talk about him because I assumed he was going to be too expensive in my drafts, and I kept getting him for way too cheap of a price. So in every draft I went into, he ended up as my wide receiver too. And I thought going into drafts I was going to have to pay wide receiver one money for him, and I ended up getting him as my wide receiver too. So why am I talking about this? Well, the lessons super important, and that's how I want to lead into talking about all these player evaluations today, is that the reason I didn't bang my drum for JSN was simply a matter of I couldn't predict how my home leagues, and most of my leagues were I ended up with him, were going to just tank the value. And I'm not saying that he was twenty one dollars, but in every single circumstance where I landed JSN in an auction, he was my wide receiver too. I got him sometimes in the upper twenties, mid thirties, low thirties. I was getting JSN for way too cheap for the role he was expected to have. Now, I didn't know he was going to break out the weight did. I just thought he'd be a great wide receiver too, because I thought he was going to have no problem hitting eighty or ninety catches, like he was just going to get a ton of targets. And that's exactly what happened. But I didn't know that until I got in the room. And so what's the lesson. The lesson is, you can do all this preparation and all this prognosticating and you might just be wrong about who's going to go for what values. I'm wrong all the time. I go through the summer and I say to myself, boy, this guy's going.
Speaker 1: To be cheap.
Speaker 2: I'm going to have him on every team, And I have that guy nowhere because it's just not true. He's just not cheap like I thought he was going to be. And so what you have to do. The lesson here is not, hey, you're going to be wrong if this stuff's impossible. The lesson is, know what you think about guys, and know what you think about value for certain types of players. That's the entire rub of auctions is getting in that room and figuring out, hey, oh my gosh, this is cheaper than I thought. I need to go for it, or hey, this is not working out. This guy is consistently more expensive than I wanted him to be. I had no idea what kind of asset he.
Speaker 1: Was going to be.
Speaker 2: I just knew that he was too cheap, and then I got him. So that's something just keep in mind. Being player agnostic, all of this stuff has really rolled into how I got the deal on JSN. And so what I want you to take away from this is just that there are a lot of lessons and a lot of things that can be lined up and just that one single player from last summer. So I want to talk about like twenty different players today and I'm hoping we're going to find some more lessons in there, and I'm hoping we're going to find some more narratives that we can exploit heading into our auctions so that I can bang the drum for a guy like JSN or the breakout of a guy like JSN, And I hope I hit that for you. This summer, because, like I said, I have one of my best years and it was largely because of some hits like Cook, like JSN, like DeVante Adams, and I hope that we can bang the drum for those guys again this summer.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Here are the four categories of guys I'm looking at for my auctions this summer. Number one is a category that I usually refer to as arbitrage plays, and I'm not sure that I love the term anymore. You know, I stole the term from David Dodds if anybody remembers him from football guys back in the day, but he was an amazing auction drafter. Loved having a conversation with that guy about auctions anytime, and he coined the phrase arbitrage plays where you're getting players that are being drafted essentially at their floor, where they have essentially asymmetric upside. And I like those plays and those are some of my favorite plays to try to isolate before we get to auctions. So I don't know if arbitrage is correct, but asymmetrical arbitrage, whatever you want to call it. For ease of description, I'm just gonna call my favorite floor plays, okay, and these aren't my favorite floor plays because I believe these guys just have a nice floor. I believe these guys have immense upside, but they're being drafted at their floor. So let's not confuse the tagline. The tagline is my favorite floor place. I've got six different guys that I'm looking at right now that I believe are just being drafted way too low. And I don't know why that is, and that may change. The steam on these guys may change, but I think these guys are being drafted.
Speaker 1: Way too low.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about six different guys I consider to be my favorite floor place right now. Number one is Davante Smith, and I've talked about him all summer already. I'm going to keep banging the drum. I don't believe that the Eagles are a super conducive offense to high volume. I get that, and I also don't believe that the Eagles want to throw the ball a lot, and they still have a really good defense. I understand the warts, and I believe that those warts are why Davante Smith is not going higher, and I think he should be going higher right now. On football guys, their ADP has him as wide receiver fourteen. They have him going for about twenty six dollars in an auction. Now I know that their numbers are they're essentially like an algorithm that generates numbers based off of our projections. And they're also let me just remind you all that anytime you see auction numbers, generally whatever program is spitting those out is accounting for the fact that there's only X number of dollars to spend in any draft room, and they're accounting for that and saying that all these players after this line are going to go for a dollar. But that's not actually how it works in a draft room, because yes, that's going to happen at some point where the money runs out. But oftentimes players will get a spike or they'll get a corresponding depression and price because of what's happening in the draft room. And I don't believe in generating numbers like that. I believe in generating numbers by saying, what's this guy worth in a vacuum? Forgetting everything else, forgetting how much money is in the room, what do I think this guy's worth in a vacuum? And when I see twenty six dollars in DeVante Smith. I think that's way too low. He went for thirty three dollars in the mock we did the other night. I just think twenty six is too low, and I don't think he's going twenty six anywhere. Last year alone, AJ Brown had one hundred and twenty one targets. DeVante Smith had one hundred and thirteen. And look, Smith is a really good receiver. He came out of college as a phenom. He's been good every time they featured him. He's only had one season where he's over one hundred and thirteen targets in his career, and in that season, he had one hundred and thirty six targets, ninety five catches, twelve hundred yards, and seven touchdowns. So one time he got an elite target share and he was a top six wide receiver. So let's not forget that. If this guy gets one hundred and thirty targets, he's going to easily outperform his wide receiver fourteen ADP easily. And in that season where he had all those yards, because of the one hundred and thirty five targets, he finished as the wide receiver fourteen in PPR points per game. But he was the wide receiver nine overall, so you can cut that however you want it. But right now he's wide receiver fourteen and ADP again. That's why he's a floor play. That's why he's an arbitrage play. That's why he's an asymmetrical play, because I think you're drafting him right now at his floor and I think he's got a men's upside.
Speaker 1: Number two. RJ. Harvey. You know, I didn't expect to like RJ.
Speaker 2: Harvey when it came into the summer, but we're doing the thing again with the narrative, and I got to just tell you that I'm turning off my brain when it comes to RJ.
Speaker 1: Harvey.
Speaker 2: And you're gonna love category number two, by the way, because we're talking about something similar to that. But I'm keeping Harvey in category one because I think it's a little bit ridiculous to say, well, he got a bunch of receiving touchdowns and he was super efficient and he ran pure. Yeah, all that stuff's true, but he also came into a difficult offense. To learn Sean Payton's offense, you have to get Sean Payton to trust you he doesn't trust people easily, and he had to come in and pick up the slack for when Dobbins got hurt, and he did it very well. And now everybody's talking about Jonah Coleman and a number one. I don't think Coleman's going to line up for RJ. Harvey's role. And I think that they're trying to protect JK. Dobbins because he gets hurt it year and he's going to be coming back from a Liz Frank injury. So I'm not necessarily sure that R J. Harvey is going to lose a bunch of touches here. In fact, I would expect his role to grow a little bit. And what's crazy is from week eleven on he was the RB ten in PPR League seventeen points a game. He's currently going as the RB twenty nine. Football Guys has him as a seven dollars player. I think that's crazy, not that he's seven dollars but or not that their price is wrong, because I think their price accurately reflects the market, but him going RB twenty nine, What the hell happened that we think he's RB twenty nine?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: I don't get it? Yeah, he was at the goal line guy. Last year, Dobbins was the goal line guy. He still caught passes on third down and he was still the guy that they wanted to go to in those situations. I don't understand it. He finished off the season as the RB ten. I'm not expecting RB ten. I'm expecting RB seventeen, RB nineteen, RB twenty nine is nuts. And if you can get him for seven dollars, he might even be cheaper than that. But I got him for ten bucks. If he's my RB three, great, if even better if he's my RB four, which I think is easily accomplished in an auction room. And that's why I love auctions, by the way, because you can get r. J. Harvey as the RB four, and if he blows up man, your team just took off there with your RB four. And that's the next guy I want to talk about is a similar type player, and that's one Day Robinson. One Day Robinson last year, of course, benefited from the Molik Neighbors injury. He benefited from the fact that their wide receiver corps is pretty bad there in New York, and it's a much better wide receiver corps in Tennessee. I get that, but he has slipped all the way to wide receiver forty six. You know what you have to score to be wide receiver forty six? Ten point four points a game, ten point four points a game. He came in and had fourteen PPR points per game last year. Now I believe he ended up as wide receiver thirteen. Maybe I don't know exactly, but off the top of my head, but I think he was wide receiver seventeen in points per game, which is not stellar. It's not amazing. It's not a league winner. But he's going off the borders wide receiver forty six. I don't understand that whatsoever. I know there's competition. I get the warts. He's got Carnal Tate ahead of him, he's got Calvin Ridley behind him. He's got two second year guys that are going to try to steal touches. He's got a second year quarterback in cam Ward that we don't know can play the position at a high level. There's a lot of hurdles there, But at wide receiver forty six, do.
Speaker 1: We give a crap about the hurdles wide.
Speaker 2: Receiver forty six? Say that again, he's a low end wide receiver four right now that I just I don't get it again. You can have him for five to seven dollars in an auction and that's the kind of player that makes your roster all right. Player number three is a running back and his name is Josh Jacobs. Now there is a huge caveat to this comment. If you I want to check out my current opinion on Josh Jacobs over on the Patreon, you can do that just four bucks a month. Bantasy football lawyer, I'm Drew Davinportan, and I prove this message. But Josh Jacobs was RB seven and points per game. If you take out Week seventeen, we've only got four carries. And don't forget he was hurt over the last third of the year when they were giving Emmanuel Wilson work and spelling it more. But he's their unquestioned goal line back. He was RB seven and PPR points per game. His price right now has to be completely about the domestic violence allegations and nothing else, because there is no reason this guy should be going as cheap as he is. Football guys has him at twenty seven dollars. If you walk into an auction and someone hands you Josh Jacobs for twenty seven dollars, just take it and don't look back. He is being drafted at his floor right now, and if the allegations turn into something worse before your draft, then you know it's no problem. I don't think something's going to happen in the middle of September or the middle of November from the NFL. Now, if he has more problems, we can't control that. But as far as the decision goes, I think it's going to come before the season, and I don't really think that he's going to be impacted this year, whether they file charges or not. So whoops, let that slip out. But the point is it's a huge caveat with Jacobs, and I get why the ADP is low. I think that's going to creep up in August, so we need to watch that one closely. But right now, it's silly how low he's going. All Right, The next guy is a name you're all familiar with. Everyone say it together with me. We love Kyron Williams. Folks, I am so tired of talking about Kyrien Williams. I promise, and I promise you that I can almost hear you groaning through the speakers because you're tired of hearing about Kyrien Williams as well. But I have to talk about him because the narrative is once again out of control. He's currently going as the RB fifteen off the board. Now, this is a guy. He has never finished that low in fantasy football since his breakout. Ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever ever has he finished that low in fantasy football. And the only argument that I can hear from people is that, oh, Blake Korm's going to start taking over. And let me just tell you something, No, Nah ain't happening.
Speaker 1: Here's why.
Speaker 2: My friend Duyen McFarland over at Fantasy Life has a really cool utilization tool and it shows you when running backs and receivers play their snaps and how many routes they run, all that kind of stuff. Here is why I know Kymen Williams is not going anywhere. Last year, Williams played ninety five percent of the two minute snaps, he played seventy two percent of the long down and distant snaps, and he played seventy three percent of the short down to distant snaps. Now, if everyone really believes that Blake Korm is about to take over. Why because Cayen played all the law and short down distant stuff. Essentially, Blake Korm is a between the twenties grinder. Now if it's his drive, and this is something that you have to get used to. If you have Kyron, it's going to be frustrating because if it's Koram's drive and they score on that drive, he's not coming out of the game for Kyron Williams and vice versa. But I think it's interesting that the splits from last year weren't different than they weren't as different as I thought they would be. Williams still got fifty nine percent of the carries inside the five, and I expected to see Williams have worse stats over the second half of last season, But from weeks one to seven, Kyron Williams averaged fifteen point seven PPR points per game. After that, from weeks eight to seventeen, Blake Korum started playing more and more, getting more and more touches. That's why I cut the split there. That's when Korum started playing more. And guess what Kyron Williams averaged with the first seven weeks fifteen point seven from weeks eight to seventeen fifty teen point nine. I bet you didn't expect to hear that, because I didn't expect to see that. He averaged more PPR points per game when Korum started to play than he did before. So it's a small sample size. We don't need to take anything away from that other than Kyin Williams is not going away. Sean McVay trusts him, the offense trusts him. He's going to play in the high leverage situations, which is short and long, down in distance and two minute drives, and he's going to get the goal on carries when he's in there on the drives where they score. That's going to be a luck factor. But I don't think it's lucky that he keeps turning in ten touchdowns in top twelve PPR finishes and yet we're drafting him at running back fifteen. Go get him on your team, enjoy the profit.
Speaker 1: Move on. Okay.
Speaker 2: The last guy I want to talk about is a tight end, and it's somebody that I haven't been super high on really in any season of his career, but right now the price is just right. Sam Laporta. Unfortunately, he's making a little bit of a run up the ADP boards. I don't love it as much as I used to. So we're gonna keep paying attention to that because if we get some glowing reports in camp that he's feeling great, that everything's good with his back, that I think that's going to continue to rise. And that's unfortunate because we may have to beat off of that. But right now, what I know is this, in his rookie year, he finishes the tight end one, the tight end three in points per game, but he's a top three guy or the top tight end on the board. The next two seasons, even the injury season, he finishes the tight end nine in points per game. He's being drafted right now as the tight end eight. I think that's the definition of the floor play. He wasn't right last year with the back look. I understand back injuries are nothing to mess with, but I think it sounds like a really fun plan to go into the draft and just get a rock solid tight end one. I think you could go in and get somebody like Travis Kelcey really cheap, and then you can turn around and get Laporter really cheap. In these drafts, full PPR drafts where you're watching some the top tight ends go for more money. You can just wait a little while and then when people start running out of money, they don't care about bidding on Sam Laporta or Travis Kelcey. It's very possible you could walk out of your auctions with both of those guys for like eight bucks ten bucks. I would love to make that play, because if Laporta blows up, you've got a great player. If not, Kelsey's going to be a steady guy who's going to get you PPR points every week. My point is, Kelsey, excuse me. My point is Laporta is being drafted at his floor right now. If he plays tight end, nine are better is a lock, and that's about where he's being drafted. All right, Well, we're getting pretty deep into the show. But I want to move on to category two. Category one was the most substantial one. It's the one that I want to go through the most conversation about those six players. The other categories are going to go a little bit quicker. I'm going to go a little bit more lightning round fashion. But I just want to point out some things and some guys that I'm paying attention to. So Category one was my arbaitra plays, my floor plays the guys I think are being drafted at their floor that have immense upside. Category two is my close your eyes guys. By the way, have you noticed my tags all summer long are just ridiculous? Oh, I'm leading into it now because when I started it with guys that are scoring points are scoring points, I just realized I gotta just make this as stupid as possible for the rest of the summer. So I'm leading into the dumb taglines and they're just gonna say what I want them to say with no pretense. I'm not gonna have chat GPT write me up a cool headline.
Speaker 1: This one is.
Speaker 2: Called the close your eyes guys because I want you to just close your eyes and draft these guys and just stop worrying about shit. Okay, stop worrying so damn much. We spend so much time picking apart these players, and these guys I'm gonna you about right now. These four players are extremely talented wide receivers that all have a lot of the same things in common and a lot of the same complaints from people for why they're not drafting them. But I think all four guys you just need to close your eyes and draft them. And that's why they're might close your eyes guys, because I'm not going to sit here and tell you that their profile is rock solid, that these are guys you have to have on your team. I just think these are players that could explode, and if they do, you want to have some shares of them. So I think you need to turn off your logic brain, your analytics, your advanced analytics, whatever other garbage that you're shoving into your ear holes to tell you not to draft these talented players. Get rid of it. Just close your eyes and forget about it. Has anybody seen the movie Billy Madison from a long time ago. I'm probably dating myself because this movie is older than I realize now. But at the beginning of the movie, when he finds out he wasn't going to take over his father's company, his father says, you know, what's the why is there? You know any reason I should do this? Why should I hand over the company to you? And you know how am I going to do that? And Billy says, I don't know. Just close your eyes and hand it over. That's what I want you to do. Close your eyes forget about all the crap and just draft these guys. Okay, Number one is AJ Brown. We've already talked about him. I'm not going to go into detail about this because we've already done it. The first three guys I'm going to mention all have the same major argument in their favor, and that is that they're playing with the best passer of their career. So AJ Brown is no exception. The Patriots last year loved to throw the football. I think they're going to continue to do that, and I think there's going to be a very definite top two there of AJ Brown and Romeo Dobbs. Just put AJ Brown on your team. If he's broken down, if he's the guy that we saw last year that can't get separation or gives up on routes, whatever, whatever, you know, I don't care. I don't care because I think it's very possible he goes nuclear with ninety eight catches for sixteen hundred yards and eleven touchdowns. I think that's within his range of outcomes. So close your eyes draft A J.
Speaker 1: Brown.
Speaker 2: Number two is Jalen Waddle, and again I think he's playing with the most talented passer of his entire career. Now I'm going to stop here right there before I hear you guys complain about Bo Nicks. I don't think bo Nicks is a great NFL quarterback, I really don't. But he's got a couple of things on his side. Number one, he's got a strong arm, and number two, he's got a great offensive mind behind the offense in Sean Payton. Jalen Waddle is in the best offensive situation he's had since his second year in the league. And let me tell you, the first two years in the league. He got one hundred and forty two targets his first year and caught one hundred and four balls. His second year he got one hundred and seventeen targets and threw up thirteen hundred and seventy yards. So when he got some concentrated efforts to get him the ball with a quarterback who was back then still actually reasonably good too, it was a few years ago, he blew up. He was awesome. This guy is not old, he's not over the hill. You can't make the same argument about Wattle that you can't about a J. Brown because Wattle's not old, he ain't washed up. He ain't even close. He's going to be in the best offensive system he's ever been in. Well, let me say, let me put an asterisk there because Mike McDaniels systems are I love him, but they were designed to get Tyreek killed the ball, not Jalen waddle So I want to draw the distinction there. I think he's going to be in the best offensive system he's been in. For him, I think he's going to be the alpha over Courtland Sutton. I still think something's being disrespected, and I think they're.
Speaker 1: Both going to eat.
Speaker 2: But he's got the best quarterback that he's had since maybe his sophomore year in the league. Everything is pointing up towards is pointing up for Jalen Waddell. I just think he's a guy again that is mentally talented. He's getting an upgrade almost everywhere. This feels like, why wouldn't I be on Jalen Wonnell third guy? I want to talk about his DJ Moore And I tell you what, I feel like I've spent my entire career saying I'm not a DJ Moore guy, while just constantly drafting DJ Moore. But I think the problem is there's a difference between the public's perception of More in my perception of him because I'm not a Djmore guy, but I think he's better than other people think he is. So I'm constantly drafting him because he's just too cheap. And when I go into an auction and he's twenty two bucks, I'm like, Okay, I'll take him. I don't love it, but okay, he's fine. But I'm gonna say again, when his DJ Moore ever had a high level quarterback. I mean, Kayleb Williams was decent last year, but he had a lot of accuracy problems and more clearly didn't fit in Ben Johnson's scheme. He had games where he just wasn't involved. Do you think that the Buffalo Bills are not going to involve DJ Moore? Who the hell else are they going to throw the ball to? Khalil Shaker is a nice receiver, but we saw what his ceiling. Djmore is going to be peppered with targets. Let's not forget our stuff on Diggs Lesson. Now, I know that the offense is different than the one that dig stepped into when he changed to Buffalo, but Joe Brady will feed his top guy, and I believe that DJ Moore is set up for a nice season. And once again, I'm just gonna say it again. All three of these guys have their best quarterback throwing to them that they've ever had in their career. So just don't make it any more complicated. Don't make it any more complicated, don't shove any more stuff in your ear holes. Just draft Djmore.
Speaker 1: He's cheap.
Speaker 2: People don't even like him. People are like, Eh, it's not that dude, he's got a washed Just stop it, stop it, Okay. The last guy I want to talk about is is Kristian Watson. And I can hear Chad and Ed Heath. I can hear you guys laughing your butts off right now. Knock it off. Christian Watson is a valid conversation that we need to have right now. He's going as the wide receiver twenty nine, and he could qualify as a floor play because I believe the arbitrage play here is super simple. If the guy plays, he's gonna smash wide receiver twenty nine. But I'm putting him here because of the fact that we all know the problems that he has and because we've never actually seen Green Bay feed and alpha receiver enough to make him a guy that I want to say, Okay, he can be wide receiver nine or he can be wide receiver eleven. I still think his upside is limited, but the Packers did trim their their wide receiver tree this offseason, and I do think Watson's in line for a bigger role. And one thing that rich Reebar pointed out that I'm hanging my hat on is that they did have him running a more diverse route tree when he came on the second half of last year. And if that's the case and he can hit the easy button on some catches during the games, that it's going to inflate his PPR upside and not just rely on him being three for eighty in a touchdown. So I love the play. And the reason he's not in Category one is because I do think it takes a leap of faith to draft Christian Watson at this point. He's never been a guy who's been able to hold up over a full season and have a full year where he can say I was healthy the whole year and produce the whole season, whether in college or the pros. So it takes a leap of faith. But if you can get him for fifteen sixteen eighteen bucks in your auctions, I think it's a deal that you got to try to take. Now, I said, there's four guys AJ Brown, Jalen Waddle, DJ Moore, Christian Watson, but I'm going to name one more as an honorable mention. That's a Mecca Abuka. And the reason I put him in this category is because again, I can see all of the narratives developing with Egbuka, and I understand everyone's concerns, but they let a target hog and Mike Evans go and Egbuka is clearly the best receiver on the roster.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I think Jayleen McMillan's going to get some run and Chris Godwin's going to get his But Agbuka is a really good player, and that's all you need to think about. And that's why he's going to close your eye's situation because I just think that there is a lot of red flags, and I understand the red flags, but I still believe in talent, and I believe in Baker Mayfield, believe it or not. And I think I'm just gonna close my eyes and try to get a book on some teams. All right, we're running a little bit long.
Speaker 1: What are surprised, Drew, You're running known shit your mouth.
Speaker 2: We're gonna roll through these last two categories and you're gonna be downe and be like, holy cow, that was fast.
Speaker 1: You're ready to say, Holy cow, let's go. Let's do it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna run my FWM as fast as I freaking can.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Category number three is some nominations of guys that I really don't want on my teams this fall. These are guys that I'm just gonna call out in the middle rounds when I want to waste a nomination because I don't want players that I want to be nominated because I'm saving money or I'm saving time. These are some guys that I don't want on my teams. Number one is mister Kyle Pitts. I'm so sorry everybody. I'm sorry Pitt's truthers, but I really believe in the splits with him without Drake London last year and their quarterback situation is ass. I am not in on Kyle Pitts because of the splits last year. I think he is what he is by now, and we have that conversation all the time. I just want to say it once again, let's quit trying to make players things that they are not. Kyle Pitts is not the guy that we saw that was fed a bunch of targets at the end of last year. He's the guy that we've seen in the rest of his career. Take the small sample size of the big sample size and tell me which one you think is going to play out this season. The next guy I want to talk about is Cede Lamb. Oh, that's crazy, that's hot.
Speaker 1: What a hot take? Are you a hot takesman? Man? I'm really not.
Speaker 2: But the conversation I have with Jim Coventry earlier in the summer really got me to thinking about Lamb versus Pickett, and I think it's a little bit crazy that people have not given us the discount on CD Lamb. So he's going to be a guy that I call out somewhat early, maybe second or third round, if I'm feeling like the room is too hot. Now somebody else is going to call him out for me at some point. But it's just a guy I don't want on my team at this point. I think he's a nice low end wide receiver one or high end wide receiver two with Pickens involved. That's just how I see his value, and I don't know that I want to spend fifty dollars on CED Lamb, so I want somebody else to spend forty six forty eight fifty to fifty one dollars on CD Lamb. I agree with Jim Coventry that the years of the one hundred and fifteen catches or one hundred and five catches and sixteen times, that stuff is not coming back. I don't believe that's coming back. While George Pickens is there. I'd much rather have Pickens. I'm gonna get Lamb out there and see if I can have him go for forty six forty eight fifty bucks. Another guy that I'm gonna probably have on zero of my team's is Treveon Henderson. I know a lot of you out there love him and believe a second year breakout, but I'm here to tell you Mike Vrabel does not give a rats ass about your second year breakout. We should have seen a move to Henderson at the end of last year if that's what the coaching staff wanted to do. Instead, what they have on their hands is a guy that they know as an explosive player that they want to rotate in and they want to play. But he's not ever going to be the quote unquote guy ahead of Rimandre Stevenson. Last year, after Week fourteen, when you'd expect them the Week fourteen was there by you'd expect them to start working in Henderson a little bit more. Stevenson played sixty six percent of the snaps the rest of the way. I mean, you know, their trend was not there at the end of last year. I don't know why we think the trend's gonna happen this year. All Right, I'm out on Trevon Henderson, especially at his price. He's not super expensive, and if he's not, then okay, maybe I'll take him as an RB four. But I'm just I'm just not that interested. The last group of guys are some guys that I'm just going to group together as injury problems. But injury problems from the standpoint that not that I think to myself, oh, these guys are injury prone, but from the standpoint that I don't think fantasy gamers are spending enough time talking about how these guys could be absolute rocks on your roster. They could just weigh you down and prevent you from being nimble and light on the waiver wire. And these guys are Malik Neighbors, Alec Pierce, Quin Shawn Judkins, and Cam Scatibo. None of these guys are remotely appealing to me at their current prices. Now, Pierce has dropped a little bit because people have seen and heard about the problems he had. But folks, they are really underplaying that issue with that Alec Pierce. If you want to see something that's going to bother you and make you not draft him at all, go google a picture of him and take a look at his right leg and his left leg. It's scary, it's not good. They're just completely different looking, and that means that he still has a long way to go in his recovery. They're not saying very good things either. They're not like, oh yeah, he'll be there week, like they're saying cautious stuff about Alec Piers. Be careful and don't forget you have a double complicating factor with Piers because he's got Daniel Jones also recovering from a major leg injury, a significant problem with then Achilles, So he's got two hurdles.
Speaker 1: Milak Neighbors. We've already talked about this.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to be labor the point, but the guy had a pretty complicated knee surgery that needed a cleanup just a couple of months ago. That's a problem. And I don't think he's starting the season on the field. I think he's at least going on the put for four to six games at least, and then he's got a three to five week ramp up. When do you think you're going to see the real Milik Neighbors? And are you still going to be in your league at that point? And by the way, we might not see the real Milik Neighbors until twenty twenty seven. So I don't know that I want to take that bet. Where he's being drafted, he's still the wide receiver thirteen right now, Like, come on, just get out of here with that nonsense. If you want to take him and you want to stick him on the back of your roster and not consider playing humntil week ten, be my guest. But that's difficult to do. It's easy to say when you're drafting, it's difficult to do. And as far as the two running backs go Quinn Shawn Judkins and Cam' Kataboo. They're good players, but they're too expensive. They're going as mid level RB twos. And I just don't think that you recover from these kinds of nasty leg injuries that easily. I think people are not factoring in their recovery from injury on all of these guys. They're not going to be on my teams unless I get a significant discount. Okay, so category number three is just guys I really don't want excellent tagline. Once again. In category number four, boring roster finishers. And unfortunately, you know, I thought about sticking this in the middle of the show because you're supposed to end strong, but I think you guys like hearing this stuff, so I just left it at the end.
Speaker 1: Boring roster finishes.
Speaker 2: It might be a little bit of a boring topic, but I'm going to get through it in a lightning round because we are pushing. I'm here and I want to make sure that we get through some of these players. Number one is Chris Godwin. He looks like he's going for about ten eleven bucks on football guys. He's wide receiver, forty right now. I love that bet. I love that bet. I don't want to pay eighteen bucks for Chris Godwin, but I also believe that it takes a while to recover. We saw Godwin wasn't himself last year. I like taking the bet on Godwin. I want to keep that under twelve. I'm hoping it's under fifteen. I really don't want to pay fourteen bucks for Chris Godwin. That's not really what I want to do, but I can see the utility there. I just think he's in the in the range where he can have seventy eighty catches and if he really picks up where he left off before that nasty injury with the departure of Mike Evans, I think we could see a Chris Godwin that is a boring guy to have at the back of your roster, but who is really helpful in fantasy football. The second guy I want to talk about is Jalen Warren. And you know, I'm really rethinking this one after my conversation with Drake because he likes Rico Dowdell. But I'm going to come back to the same thing that I say all the time. I have a lot of faith in people who do projections, and a lot of the projections I'm seeing are forty to fifty catches for Jalen Warren. I believe that wholeheartedly. I think he's I don't think the Steelers decided that Rick rico'dowell was their past catching guy. Now I believe Drake when he says that he can do it, and I think he can do it, and there are times last year that it really frustrated me that the Panthers didn't give him more receptions. So I think he can do it, but I'm not saying that that means he is going to do it. I think Warren slides back into the pass catcher role. Maybe they take some pounding off of Warren on the early downs, but he's still going to catch forty or fifty passes. I think that makes him a boring guy at the back of your roster, but a guy I want as solid depth, especially deeper leagues. The next guy is Jacoby Myers. Boy, oh boy, this is a hard one because I understand and when I talk to Rich Reebar, I listened to smart people like that, and rich said something that stuck with me. He said, of the three Jacksonville wide receivers. Myers is guy I'm willing to let go because he really didn't cross fifteen VPR points even with Jacksonville when they were humming last year. And I get it, like he's absolutely right, but he's super cheap right now. If he's going for around six seven dollars eight bucks, like whatever, that's so cheap for a guy of his caliber. And I heard something interesting from Jacksonville beat writers recently who said that usually when Hunter rotates in, the guy that's going to come off the field is Brian Thomas, possibly Parker Washington. They never mentioned Jacoby Myers coming off the field because they love what he does and he's so reliable. He's just he hits his marks. He's just the true pros pro and they paid him for a reason. They like Jacoby Myers. I'm not saying he's going to be some fantasy beast, but I think he's once again going to be underrated. He's going to be playing for a very good offense, something he's never had before because he's been a Raider his whole career. He steps into a full season with that offense an off seat with Liam Cohen's offense, and they're they're praising him for always hitting his marks and being a pro guys Jacoby Myers, it's super easy get him as your wide receiver five six, whatever. It's easy in an auction. The next guy I want to talk about is Romeo Dobbs, and I might as well couple him together with another guy by the name of Quinton Johnston, because both of these guys are going pretty low. Johnston's wide receiver forty seven, Dobbs's wide receiver fifty. I firmly believe that Dobbs is going to be the number two wide receiver in New England. I don't think there's any doubt about that he's going to be the number two. And in Quentin Johnston, I believe he's going to be the number two. I understand people want Trey Harris to do stuff, and it would really bother me if Keenan Allen signs back with the Chargers. I don't think that's going to happen. But people love Trey Harrison and I'm not saying I'm going to be right about this. Trey Harris might come on and he might be good, but they repeatedly talk about Quentin Johnston's yack abilities. That's the stuff he did in college. I think he was miscast a little bit as a rookie, and I think Mike McDaniel knows how to use him. And I think wide receivers forty seven's crazy. He's much better than that. After he got hurt, he didn't look as good. The offensive line fell apart, everything fell apart for the Chargers last year, and I think if things go well, we're going to see the guy that we saw in the first three or four games of the season. And I think he's got top twenty four upside. I really do. And he's getting some steam right now. So we're going to pay attention to Johnston's ADP because he is getting some steam. The last couple of guys I want to talk about, I don't want to end on a boring note, but a couple of tight ends that I think are flying under the radar. Number one is Brenton Strange. He came back from injury last year and finished the season in his final stretch as the tight end twelve. So when he was healthy at the end of the year last year, he was a tight end one. He's not being drafted as a tight end one. He could easily go in category one, where he's a floor play. I think you can take Strange and hope that he has some upside. I'm putting him here as a boring roster finisher because you can get him for a buck. There's no reason you need to be paying more than one or two dollars for Brenton Strange. And I think that he has tight end twelve and up potential. I don't think he's going to be tight end three, but I think he can be tight end nine to twelve over a full season if he stays healthy. And the other guy that I want to talk about is Chig a con Quo. I've always believed in his athletic ability, and that's what everyone believes in, but he's never been able to put it together as a pass catcher. But he hasn't been in a good situation. And I'm not sure that Jayden Daniels is that awesome, but you know what, he likes the tight end. He made a fantasy relevant guy by the name of zach Ertz last year, and we don't think a guy with a Conquo's athletic ability has the chance to really break the position with a guy who likes throwing to the tight end. I think it's silly to not take some shots on a con quo. So the boring roster finishers Chris Godwin, Jaalen Warren, Jacoby Myers, Quentin Johnston, Romeo Dobbs, Brenton Strange, and Chig a con quo. All right, well, that's going to do it. I feel like I didn't really get to talk about much stuff this week because I'm normally weaving this tapestry of theory and trying to layer stuff on top of it, and this week I just went through and just rammed a bunch of players down your throat. So I hope you enjoyed it. I think this is an episode, like I said, that's popular every summer, and so I really want to go through some of these players, and I want to follow these guys as we get into August. I'm going to try to do a quick recap episode at some point in early August where we're talking about these guys and seeing whether or not I'm still in or out. But again, if you want to get my innermost thoughts about this stuff and get more detail about it, you got to be in the Patreon Fantasy Football Lawyer Patreon just four bucks a month. I think it's worth it, so get over there and sign up. Thank you so much for joining me today for this conversation about my guys. We've got four categories, my favorite floor plays with high upside, my guys that I just want you to close your eyes and draft, my guys that I don't want to draft that I think are boring but excellent roster finishers. So that's been a fun conversation.
Speaker 1: Don't forget.
Speaker 2: You can find me on Twitter at Drew Davenport FF on the Patreon at Fantasy Football Lawyer. Just four bucks a month to get over there and check that out. Don't forget about the salary Cap summit coming up on August second, third, and fourth. If you want to be in one of those salary cap leagues and get in the Patreon, you're gonna have a much better shot. And don't forget we'll have a listener league. We'll talk about that in early August. And of course, don't forget my serious show is starting on July the twelfth. It's just about ten days away. Don't forget to tune in Sunday the twelfth from three to five on Sirius XM will be my first show with Drake, so stoked for that as well. So we got a lot of exciting stuff coming up. Thank you so much for being a follower a supporter. I really really appreciate all of you, every one of you who interacts with me, listens to the show, and supports my work. It makes all the long hours worthwhile and I'm having a blast doing this job and I have all of you to thank for it.
Speaker 1: So that's going to do it for this week.
Speaker 2: The Auction Brief is adjourned, and I am out. The Auction Brief is adjourned. That'll do it for this week's episode.
Speaker 1: See you next time on the Auction Brief.