Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: KFI AM six forty Bill Handle here and the morning crew.
Speaker 1: Boy.
Speaker 2: What a day to day Monday, January twentieth, Martin Luther King Day, which is not getting as much attention as it should. We would probably be talking a lot about Martin Luther King and his legacy because the inauguration is today and we are inaugurating the most unusual president in the history of this country, an outlier among outliers. It's just extraordinary what this man has been able to do.
Speaker 1: The only president we've ever.
Speaker 2: Had to confect, a convicted felon, who's been indicted, who has paid big money for defamation, known as a womanizer, and yet was elected both in a popular vote as well as in the electoral college, so there is no issue as to his election. So he gets worn in at noon today. It's going to be televised course by all the networks. Probably local stations will cover it. Certainly it's going to be online. We're going to be seeing on I don't know how many platforms, and what he plans to do is an immediate shock and awe blitz of orders and actions begin dramatically changing the course of this country big time, and he's going to succeed because he is president. First of all, the ceremony has moved indoors.
Speaker 1: Because it is so cold out there.
Speaker 2: Last time it was moved indoors was during I think Reagan's second inaugural. It was seven degrees. This time around, it's what twenty degrees? Do I have that right? Interesting point by the way, that the people who want to buy Greenland are the same people that want to move the inauguration indoors because it's too cold.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now.
Speaker 2: He is going to do some extraordinary things. He may sign as many as one hundred orders. Some are saying fifty executive orders, some are saying two hundred.
Speaker 1: And there's going to be the big ones that we know is going to happen.
Speaker 2: A new crackdown on illegal immigration we're already talking about where they're already talking about deportations and raids happening starting today. Terrorists on trading partners, and pardoning of his supporters of the January sixth insurrection. We know those three are going to happen. The rest we're assuming undoing what Biden has done in terms of fossil fuels. In terms of the environment, he's not a big fan of environmental controls. He's seventy eight, will be the oldest president history to be inaugurated. Biden was only five months younger, so they were both pretty old. He's the second president to reclaim the White House after being defeated for reelection. Grover Cleveland in the eighteen hundreds was the first. Biden is going to be there at the inaugural. They are back to the tea where the new president goes to tea at the White House before the inauguration. Usually it's the first lady who handles the tea. Now Trump would not do that when Biden was electioned. Now we're back to normal, and the list of people who are coming just fascinating to the inauguration.
Speaker 1: You've got the three richest people in the world.
Speaker 2: You've got the tech people, Zuckerberg, you have Elon Musk, tech business executives, former presidents, all of them are going to be there. Assortment of performers, uh, including what Carrie Underwood?
Speaker 1: Do I have that right?
Speaker 2: And boy is she getting nailed on social media for that one? Oh my goodness, it doesn't stop. Check Instagram and talk about her.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And some very right wing, some straight out members of you know mainstream, the mainstream politicians and the press. But a lot of really conservative, right wing politicians, and I mean people who are straight out racists, uh, straight out anti immigration and you know, for example, one of them in France, Eric Zimoor, has been convicted of inciting racial hatred.
Speaker 1: He's coming.
Speaker 2: He wrote a couple of best sellers denouncing France uh as in a decline of a country that has Christian roots undermined by Muslim immigran and their descendants.
Speaker 1: I mean, really crazy stuff.
Speaker 2: He ran for president and got seven percent of the vote in France. They got a German guy who is head of the Alternative for Germany AfD, classified as right ring we'ring extremists by the German government. He's going to be there, the super conservative English contingent.
Speaker 1: It's going to be fascinating.
Speaker 2: Also, you've got Mike Vice president, Mike Pence. What Trump is doing is he's following protocol and.
Speaker 1: Doing what is traditional.
Speaker 2: All the sitting presidents or the presidents are still alive, former presidents, former vice presidents, Mike Pence.
Speaker 1: And so it's not that he's.
Speaker 2: Making the crazy people exclusive members of his inauguration swearing in or guests.
Speaker 1: It's just it's fascinating what they're going to do. Boy, what a day? What day? Actually, what a week?
Speaker 2: First of all, we have a Martin Luther King Day that we're not going to spend enough time on because it's also inauguration day of the forty seventh President of the United States, Donald Trump, who was also the forty fifth president of the United States. And this is only the second time that there has been a president who ran lost and then ran again.
Speaker 1: And the swearing inn begins.
Speaker 2: At noon traditionally it is now at noon inside the Capitol Rotunda because the outside it's too cold. Two hundred thousand people were supposed to be there, and now we're inside the rotunda, which is a large room. But amy do we even know how many people are going to be inside the rotunda?
Speaker 1: Is it being reported? It's hundreds, that's it. Yeah, I don't I don't remember the exact number, but it's but it's not it's not even a thousand, wow, all right.
Speaker 2: And the reason it's inside is that they had to chane plans because of the cold, and that was announced by President Trump. The parade has also been canceled, the traditional parade, and so guests are going to be invited to view those inaugural proceedings at the Capitol One Arena, and the President said he would join them. After the ceremony and after swearing in, he gives the inauguration speech.
Speaker 1: Don't know how long it is.
Speaker 2: He tends to go off script a lot, so be prepared for some fun stuff. Usually it's a very very concise and well, not so much concise, but following the script on teleprompter.
Speaker 1: Now he goes off the longest inauguration speech.
Speaker 2: A little bit of history here, William Henry Harrison two hours, two hours. Can you imagine standing out there in the cold for two hours?
Speaker 1: Washington?
Speaker 2: George Washington, one hundred and thirty five words, Thank you, I'm president, you're not. Let's go to work. That was basically it. So it was not a big deal. It happened two months, by the way, after the inauguration. It was almost spontaneous. It was part of a parade. Oh, here's a quick.
Speaker 1: One about George Washington.
Speaker 2: Here it is that I just want to throw in the mix a little historical bit about George Washington. And that is we know more about George Washington today historians than the people knew about George Washington when he was president and he led the Continental Army.
Speaker 1: How is that possible?
Speaker 2: Because he was a master of compartmentalization that various people only know bits and pieces, And he kept just extraordinary records. Every letter he wrote there was a copy. He kept archives of his presidency. He knew who he was, so history has an abundance of facts about him that you didn't have unless you were looking at the entire process.
Speaker 1: Franklin Roosevelt did the same.
Speaker 2: Thing by the way he compartmentalized and didn't let one party know what the other was doing.
Speaker 1: Just, yeah, a little bit of history I wanted to throw at you.
Speaker 2: Now a little bit more. After the ceremony, he is going to head to the Oval Office and he'll begin signing his executive orders. At least fifty some are saying at least one hundred. Some are saying, and we're talking to people inside. These are not just pundits on the outside.
Speaker 1: Some at least two hundred.
Speaker 2: He has said that he will sign until his hand is broken. Now, what are the important ones he is going to sign? Immigration is probably the top of the list. He ran on immigration as one of his primary platforms. Does he really believe going to get Greenland or the Panama Canal or Canada is going to become the fifty first state?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Does he really believe that immigration is a top priority and he wants to deport the illegal.
Speaker 1: Migrants here in this country?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that is part of his basic belief system.
Speaker 1: That is real.
Speaker 2: As far as Donald Trump is concerned undoing executive orders that Biden put into place, that is important.
Speaker 1: He will undo those, no question about it.
Speaker 2: He is certainly going to change economic policy in this country, the tariffs. Is he going to put tariffs on our partners, Canada, Mexico, more tariffs on China?
Speaker 1: Don't know.
Speaker 2: I know he believes in tariffs again as part of of his basic belief system.
Speaker 1: How far he's going to go, we don't know. At this point. There will be some.
Speaker 2: Government overhaul that is going to happen because he truly believes that the government is broken. He has said the Democratic Party is broken, it is in disarray, it is a failure.
Speaker 1: He is absolutely right.
Speaker 2: Democrats are floundering trying to figure out what the hell happened. Super angry at Biden for running when he should not have run. Super angry at Biden for the hubris that Biden has. Just a few days ago he said he could have won against Trump if he stayed in give me a break. Super Angry at Harris because she wouldn't separate herself out from Biden on the issues that Biden had such a low low approval rating. And who is now the leader of the party. No one has any idea. When Trump wasn't president, he was the leader of the party. And this is going to become a Trump country, not merely a Trump presidency, the other thing really quickly. And here's an interesting sideline. He is coming in as a lame duck president. Usually presidents, virtually all presidents who have two terms.
Speaker 1: It's the first term where all the action is.
Speaker 2: It's the first term where what presidents stand for is past and that policy is put into place. The second term, he's already lane duck and people pay less attention to him.
Speaker 1: He's coming in as a lame duck president.
Speaker 2: However, I think this is going to be a second term far far different than any other second term that we've had in the history of this country.
Speaker 1: He's already broken historical facts. I mean, the guys of Felon.
Speaker 2: He's been indicted, he has been hit with defamation suits, I mean just all over the place. And by the way, if people know about that, it's not like the secret. But his supporters don't care because they are so fanatic. That's the other thing I haven't seen is the fanaticism of his supporters. That is something that I don't think we have ever seen ever. All Right, a couple of things, that is to a couple things are going to happen. He's going to sign quote a blizzard of executive orders on day one, as in today, and you're going to see increased oil and gas drilling. You're going to see the anti immigration, illegal immigration move that he's going to take that he truly believes in to his core. You're also going, well, the increased oil and gas drilling. I mean, he believes in that. He doesn't believe in environmental issues. He has said that climate change is a hoax. He's never come back from that. And you look at the fires, you look at the snowstorm, and you go, I mean, come on, really, his answer is more drilling, more drilling, and of course, pardons of the January sixth rioters. So a few things he believes to his hard and soul, a few things promises he made during the campaign that he's going to keep, and the and the pardons that he is going to issue today.
Speaker 1: And as far as the pardons go.
Speaker 2: One of the things about President Trump is as he looks at people way beyond their.
Speaker 1: Political moves their political beliefs. Is loyalty. That's it. Loyalty is everything.
Speaker 2: Look at the cabinet nominees.
Speaker 1: Wait till you see the under secretary, Wait.
Speaker 2: Till you see the administrators of various agencies. They are all going to be Donald Trump loyalists. Now you have presidents, most presidents that choose people to run the United States government who aren't political, have no idea or voted the other way, or Republicans that a democratic president keeps around just because of sheer competence. It's not going to be the case with President Trump. Now, what are these executive orders? Well, executive orders are official documents that are issued unilaterally by the president. He does it on his own, basically no oversight, and these shape policy and they actually manage how the federal government operates.
Speaker 1: Not mentioned in the US Constitution.
Speaker 2: No statute gives the president the power to issue them, but it is widely accepted that the president's issuing of these executive orders is an inherent power of the presidency. If you look at history throughout this country, presidents become more and more and more powerful, to the point where you're supposed to have three branches of government checks and balances, the executive, the judiciary, and the legislative. The judiciary, well, it's probably the most even though it's biased. It has the power to overturn a president's actions.
Speaker 1: And I'll explain why.
Speaker 2: The legislation, Congress, the Senate, the Republicans are his.
Speaker 1: It's not simple. He tells them what to do, they do it.
Speaker 2: Mike Johnson, who is the Speaker, said, the job of Congress is to pass what the president wants, not create laws, not go against the presidency when the Congress thinks is appropriate.
Speaker 1: There's no such thing as going against this president.
Speaker 2: It's probably the strongest that a president has ever been legislatively. So we really have two branches of government won the presidency, the all powerful OZ President OZ, and the other one is the judiciary, which is not so much pro Trump, it's more conservative.
Speaker 1: So what's going to happen today?
Speaker 2: As we know, there will be a blizzard described as executive orders.
Speaker 1: You'll see the president signed these.
Speaker 2: Executive orders, increased oil and gas drilling, the mass deportations. We've heard of, the pardons of the January six rioters. Now, what are executive orders exactly? Well, they're official issued unilaterally by the president, and that literally shapes policy and manages how the federal government operates. Now, where will the executive orders come from? Well, not from the US Constitution. No statute gives the president the power to issue them. But executive orders are considered an inherent power of the presidency. Okay, they have the force and effective law as long as the actions fall under the authority granted to the president, either an Article two.
Speaker 1: In the way it's discerned, the way it's interpreted.
Speaker 2: It is out of Article too comes these presidential rights.
Speaker 1: It's before Roe Evade Wade was overturned.
Speaker 2: Roe v. Wade was not based on anything in the Constitution. The right to privacy doesn't exist in the Constitution.
Speaker 1: But when Roe v. Wade was passed, Justice I think.
Speaker 2: It was Blackman who wrote the opinion said that the right to privacy emanates the p number of rights that come from the Constitution. They exist somewhere. It's like ectoplasm. They flow out of the Constitution somehow, Well.
Speaker 1: They don't.
Speaker 2: In reality, they don't, And the Conservatives have said that, and I agree with the conservatives. You look, as it is the Constitution a living document that changes according to what the societal norms are. Or do you look at the Constitution on what's called all four corners? The document itself? All right, So Congress can give the president the power, but it really doesn't.
Speaker 1: And they're used to direct.
Speaker 2: Usually a federal official or an administrative agency, to go through a course of action or stop a course of action.
Speaker 1: One of them, for example, by Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: He had an executive order directing HHS Health and Human Services to expand and protect access to abortion medications safeguard patient privacy following.
Speaker 1: Overturning Roe v. Wade.
Speaker 2: In other words, he had tried to overturn the overturn as much as he could.
Speaker 1: Now, how many executive orders have been issued.
Speaker 2: William Henry Harrison, who died a month after office, okay, he had none. Every other one, every other president has issued executive orders.
Speaker 1: John Adams, James Madison, James win.
Speaker 2: Wrote one Franklin Roosevelt three thousand, seven hundred and twenty one executive Orders. But that was history when Franklin came into office. When FDR came into office, this country was dying. The depression was hitting us so hard. And what he did is he created agencies and programs. Congress was not on his side. He had a conservative Congress. The Supreme Court was very conservative. They hated his programs and overturned them. And then he was just issue another order, going in a different direction. And a quick word about people that bitch and moan about the conservative court.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the court's conservative. It is horrible.
Speaker 2: Hey, let me tell you, by the time FDR was out of office, he had selected every single justice, either they died or retired that he had wasn't office twelve years. And then it started a liberal court. And then it became an insanely liberal court under Earl Warren.
Speaker 1: And now we have a very.
Speaker 2: Conservative court because President Trump had three opportunities to select a Supreme Court justice, nominated Supreme Court justices, and he chose conservative ones. Hey, welcome to the United States. Welcome to the Constitution. You had no problem when it was a liberal court. You love that.
Speaker 1: Well, three justices were gone.
Speaker 2: He nominated the Republicans controlled, and he gets his nominations confirmed. That's America. President Biden issued some fun one. Oh, by the way, Roosevelt Executive Order of the Japanese Internment in the camps of World War Two? How about that Harry Truman banning segregation in the US military, Lyndon Johnson establishing the Warren Commission. After the assassination of JFK. So Joe Biden rejoined the Parish Climate of Court, restored the option for transgender Americans to join the military, looking for a review of federal marijuana law, and then banning oil and gas drilling in certain coastal areas, establishing new protected lands in California. Trump is going to undo those almost immediately. Trump pulled out of the Paris Climate ACCRDS. Biden put us back in, and I think Trump's going to take us out again. Now, does it differ from a law, Yeah, a laws passed by Congress. And can an executive order be stopped?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: One of two ways, Well, three ways. The president can turn around, change his mind. Congress can override it by simply passing a law, but then he can veto it, which if you have two thirds of Congress, it becomes law. And then one of the big ones is any law that's passed in this country that takes money, like building a wall, Congress has to fund it. You can pass you can have all the executive orders in the world, and if they involve money, Congress has to give the mon money. And if there ain't no money, it doesn't have much impact. However, the president can take existing money out of the budget and move it over. For example, he did that in the military and moved money over to build the wall.
Speaker 1: Is the wall going to be built again? Who knows? Who knows? All right?
Speaker 2: This is KFI Am sixty. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.