Speaker 1: So I'm just going to read this quote straight from the source material because it's it's quite the hook. The operating system's war is over and Linux is won. Yeah, which I mean, it's a pretty aggressive opening statement for a textbook, isn't it. I'm looking around to our studio right now, and I see three laptops. Two are running Windows, one is a Mac.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I don't see a single Linux penguin anywhere. So did it really win? Or is the author just you know, engaging in a bit of wishful thinking here?
Speaker 2: It definitely sounds like hyperbole if you're just looking at the surface level, right, I mean, if you walk into a coffee shop, you aren't going to see people compiling kernels while they sit their lattes.
Speaker 1: Huh, No, definitely not.
Speaker 2: But the argument here, and we're diving into the Linux Bible eleventh edition, which just dropped in twenty twenty six, is that the war wasn't actually fought for the desktop. Okay, it was fought for the infrastructure of the world, and in that arena, it's not even close.
Speaker 1: Right, fair point. But before we get into the nuts and bolts of how we kind of have to address the elephant in the room because the irony here is just thick enough to cut with a knife. Yeah, you have this quote from the book about.
Speaker 2: Microsoft, oh, the Steve Bomber quote. Yeah, it's legendary. Linux is a cancer, right.
Speaker 1: The former CEO of Microsoft literally called it a cancer that attaches itself to everything it touches. And yet here we are in twenty twenty six and if you look at Microsoft's own cloud platform, Azure, what is the majority of it running on Linux?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's well over fifty percent, probably closer to seventy or eighty percent by now, which is just why the very company that tried to kill it is now making billions of dollars sealing it.
Speaker 1: It is the ultimate plot twist. So to guide us through this twist on today's deep Dive, we have the author Christopher Nigas. And he's not just some academic observer, is he.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not. Nigas has been writing about this stuff since the late nineties. He's a former instructor at red Hat and currently he's a senior technical writer for AWS Amazon Web Services exactly. And for this eleventh edition he brought in David Clinton, who is a serious Linux server admin and an AWS solutions architect. So you have this really nice blend of like how to teach it and how it actually works in the trenches.
Speaker 1: So the mission today for you listening is to figure out how we got here. How did a hobby project started by a university student.
Speaker 2: In Finland, a student who explicitly said it wouldn't be anything big.
Speaker 1: Right, How does that become the backbone of the Internet, the financial markets, and now the modern AI revolution.
Speaker 2: And to do that, we really have to start by defining what we are actually talking about. Because the turn Linux gets thrown around a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people use it as a catchell exactly.
Speaker 2: People conflate the whole operating system with just one part of it.
Speaker 1: So let's strip it down. When I say I'm running Linux, what is actually happening under the hood.
Speaker 2: So NAGUS breaks it down into three critical components. The first, and honestly the most important, is the kernel.
Speaker 1: The engine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think of it more like the conductor of an orchestra or maybe an air traffic controller. The kernel is the only thing that's speaks directly to the hardware.
Speaker 1: Okay, when you launch a web browser, that browser doesn't know how to talk to your RAM or your processor. It asks the kernel, hey, can I have some memory, and the colonel says, yes, here's block four thousand, or no, you're crashing. I'm shutting you down.
Speaker 2: So without the kernel, the hardware is just a pile of expensive metal and silicon exactly.
Speaker 1: It manages the resources. Then, sitting above that you have the demons.
Speaker 2: Which I have to say is just terrible branding. It sounds like my computer is possessed.
Speaker 1: It does sound a little sinister, but it's actually very mundane. A demon is just a process that runs in the background waiting to.
Speaker 2: Be useful, waiting for a summons.
Speaker 1: Right. For example, if you want to print something, you don't manually start a printing program. Every time there is a print demon sitting silently in the background listening. When it hears a request, it wakes up, handles the job, and goes back to sleep.
Speaker 2: So they are the service staff of the operating system.
Speaker 1: Perfect analogy.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, so we have the conductor, which is the kernel, and the service staff the demons. What's the third piece, the shell? This is the interface and this is where the Linux Bible draws a real line in the sand. Yes, you can use a graphical Windows Icons mouse clicks.
Speaker 1: All that like a normal person.
Speaker 2: Like a normal person. Sure, but the shell, the command line is where the real power is.
Speaker 1: We're talking about the matrix screen here, Yeah, just green texts scrolling down.
Speaker 2: A black box essentially. Yes, And Nigus makes a really strong point here. If you want to administer a system, you cannot rely on a GUI, a graphical user interface. Guys are heavy, they require resources, and more importantly, they hide things from you.
Speaker 1: They hold your hand, right.
Speaker 2: But the shell lets you talk directly to the kernel with text commands. It is precise, it is scriptable, and it is incredibly fast.
Speaker 1: What I mean is that really necessary? In twenty twenty six everything has a dashboard? Now, why do I need to memorize archaic text commands?
Speaker 2: Because of scale? Yeah, if you are managing one server, sure click the icons. But if you are Google and you're managing a fleet of five hundred thousand servers, you cannot click on five hundred thousand icons. Oh god, No, you need to write a script that says, go to these half a million machines and update this specific library and then you hit enter once. That is only possible through the shell.
Speaker 1: That makes a lot of sense. It's the difference between retail and wholesale.
Speaker 2: Perfectly put, and that scalability is why Linux is so ubiquitous. The book lists the heavy hitters. It's not just Google and Facebook and Android phones, it's the financial sector too, the New York Stock Exchange, the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
Speaker 1: That one always gets me. We are talking about trillions of dollars moving in microseconds, right.
Speaker 2: And they don't use Linux because it's free. Believe me, they can afford to buy Windows.
Speaker 1: I think they have the budget.
Speaker 2: They use it because they can strip it down. They can take that kernel, remove every single demon they don't need, remove the graphical interface entirely, and have a system that does exactly one thing with absolute zero latency because it's open exactly. You can't do that with a proprietary black box system like Windows or mac os. You can't see the code, you can't fix bugs yourself, and you can't rip out the parts you don't want.
Speaker 1: And that leads us perfectly to the philosophy of it all. Because Lenox didn't just appear out of nowhere in a vacuum. It stands on the shoulders of giants. The book takes us all the way back to Bell Labs in the late sixties.
Speaker 2: The grandparents of modern computing, Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie. Right, they created You and IX and the vibe at Bell Labs is so important to understanding Lenox today. It wasn't a product team trying to hit a quarterly revenue target.
Speaker 1: It was a research group.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a communal environment.
Speaker 1: Nigus uses the word fellowship, which I love. It sounds like Lord of the Rings, Aha, it does. But they were basically building a system for themselves.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. They wanted a comfortable environment to codin. And because they were lazy in the smart, highly efficient way that great programmers are lazy, they came up with some brilliant philosophies to make lives easier.
Speaker 1: And the biggest one being everything is a file. Okay, unpack that for us, because obviously my keyboard isn't a file. It's a physical piece of plastic.
Speaker 2: Physically, yes, but to the operating system it's treated as a file. In You and AXS and by extension Linux, your hard drive is a file, your mouse is a file, your network card is a file. The data streaming in from the internet is a file.
Speaker 1: Well, why does that matter because.
Speaker 2: It means you can use the exact same set of tools for everything. If I write a program that can read text from a file, that same program can now read input from a keyboard, or read data from a hard drive, or read data from a network socket. Oh wow, I don't need to write five different custom drivers. It unifies the entire system under one simple logic that.
Speaker 1: Is actually incredibly elegant.
Speaker 2: It is, and it leads to the second big idea, pipes.
Speaker 1: This is the lego block concept.
Speaker 2: Yes, in the Windows world, at least historically, you'd have these massive programs. Microsoft Word does typing and spell checking and formatting, printing and mailing labels.
Speaker 1: It's a monolith.
Speaker 2: It's a monolith. The UNX philosophy is the exact opposite. Right, a tiny program that does one thing perfectly. Yeah, LS lists files, GP finds text, sort sorts lines, and the pipe connects them. Right. You take the output of LS, you pipe it into grep to find the specific files you want, and you pipe that into sort to organize them alphabetically.
Speaker 1: Do you string them together?
Speaker 2: You build incredibly complex machines out of these simple, reliable parts. It's modularity at its finest.
Speaker 1: So if you ANDIX was so great and they had this amazing fellowship going on, why aren't we all running Unix right now? Why did Linux take over?
Speaker 2: Because the lawyers got involved, Of course they did. In nineteen eighty four, AT and T, the parent company of Bell Labs, was broken up, and they looked at uni Ix, which they had been sharing pretty freely with universities up to that point, and they saw dollar signs.
Speaker 1: They realized what they asked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they tried to commercialize it. They closed off the source code, They started souon doing people who tried to make compatible versions, like the whole Berkeley Software Distribution thing BSD. The split. It created a huge crisis. You had a generation of computer scientists who had grown up on Unix principles, and suddenly the rug was pulled out from under them. They couldn't afford the licenses and they couldn't modify the code anymore. Momentum just died.
Speaker 1: And this vacuum draws in our two main characters. On one side, you have the idealist Richard Stallman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nineteen eighty four, Stallman quits his job at MIT because he refuses to work on proprietary software. He starts the GNU project.
Speaker 1: GNU is not unyax.
Speaker 2: Exactly a recursive acronym. His goal was just audacious. He wanted to rebuild the entire Unix system from scratch, but make it free, and not just free as in zero costs, but free as in freedom, which.
Speaker 1: Is an important distinction we should make. We're talking about the Open Source Initiative.
Speaker 2: Rules here ed right, free distribution, no royalties, the source code must be included, and no discrimination against who can use it. Now, Stallman and the GNU project they did a lot of the heavy lifting, they really did. They built the compilers, the text editors like Emacs, the bash shell, they built all the marginlar tools we just talked about. But they got stuck on the kernel. The engine they're trying to build this kernel called HERD, and it was just it was over engineered. It never quite worked right.
Speaker 1: So they have a fully furnished house, but absolutely no foundation to put it on exactly.
Speaker 2: And meanwhile, over in Helsinki, Finland, you have the pragmatist Linus Torvoltz.
Speaker 1: He's not trying to start a revolution, is he.
Speaker 2: Not at all. He's just a broke student who is using Minix, which was a teaching OS and He wants something better to run on his new three eighty six PC, but he can't afford commercial unx.
Speaker 1: And so he writes that famous email in nineteen ninety one, I'm doing a free operating system, just a hobby. Won't be big and professional like new.
Speaker 2: It is the most understated announcement in tech history. But here is the key. Linus wrote a working kernel the foundation. He filled the exact hole that the GNU project had.
Speaker 1: So it wasn't this like planned grand partnership.
Speaker 2: No, it was total accidental synergy. The community saw Linus's colonel realized it actually worked and said, hey, let's take all these GMU tools that have no kernel and run them on top of this Linux current. Now I'm boom. You have a complete operating system.
Speaker 1: But there's one more piece to this puzzle that the book really emphasizes. It wasn't just the code that made Linux stick and become what it is today. It was the license, yes.
Speaker 2: The GPL, the General Public License. And this is Stallman's genius. And look, we're not endorsing Stallman's personal politics or his entire worldview here. The book just lays out the facts of what happened.
Speaker 1: Right, We're just talking about the mechanism of the license exactly.
Speaker 2: The mechanism was undeniably effective because most companies actually love open source licenses, like the BSD license. The BSD license basically says, here's the code, do whatever you.
Speaker 1: Want with it, which is how Apple took BSD code and used it to maccos right.
Speaker 2: They took the free code, improved it, closed it off, and kept the improvements for themselves. The GPL strictly forbids that. It uses a concept called copyleft copyleft deck. It says you can use this code and you can modify it, but if you distribute your modified version, you must share your changes under the exact same open license.
Speaker 1: It's viral, It's completely.
Speaker 2: Viral, and it's brilliant. It forces collaboration. If IBM or Intel or even Microsoft makes an improvement to the Linux kernel to make it run better on their servers, they have to give that code back to the community.
Speaker 1: They can't hoard it.
Speaker 2: They can't, which means that every single company using Linux is inadvertently working on the same team.
Speaker 1: So that brings us to the ecosystem we actually have today. Because the book talks a lot about distributions, if I want to install Linux right now, I don't usually download the kernel and compile it myself.
Speaker 2: No, and please don't try that unless you have a lot of free time and patience.
Speaker 1: Aha noted.
Speaker 2: You download a distro, think of the kernel as the engine and the gn you tools as the transmission. The distro is the car manufacturer. They put it all together. They add a dashboard, the desktop, they had tires and seats, and an installer, and they give it to you as a complete package.
Speaker 1: And the Linux Bible focuses really heavily on red Hat.
Speaker 2: Why them, because red Hat proved you could actually make billions of dollars giving away free software. They focus heavily on the enterprise. But the dynamic between red Hat Enterprise, Linux, RHL, and Fedora is really interesting.
Speaker 1: I really liked the river analogy they use for this in the text.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's perfect. Think of Fedora as the upstream. The water is fast, it's fresh, but it might have some rocks in it. It's where new features are tested. It's bleeding edge.
Speaker 1: So if I'm a developer who wants the absolute latest toys, I use Fedora.
Speaker 2: Right But if you run a bank.
Speaker 1: I don't want rocks in my water.
Speaker 2: You don't want rocks in your water. You want filtered, calm, predictable water. That's RHEL. It's downstream. Red Hat takes the features that survive Fedora, staybizes them, test them for months, and then releases them in RHL with a guarantee of support.
Speaker 1: And that support is what companies are actually paying for exactly.
Speaker 2: They also introduce the RPM package manager to make installing software way easier than compiling raw source code.
Speaker 1: And then you have Ubuntu and Debian, which are the other big family.
Speaker 2: Right. Debian is known for super strict stability and community governance, but Ubuntu built on Debian is crucial because they focused on user friendliness.
Speaker 1: Bring it to the desktop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are the ones who really pushed to make Linux installable by a normal human being. If you are listening to this and want to try Linux for the first time, you probably want Ubuntu.
Speaker 1: Although there are others mentioned, right, Slackware, which is the oldest supported one, Collie for cybersecurity and forensics Gen two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are hundreds, but those are the main pillars.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's pivot to the new stuff because this is the eleventh edition. We're in twenty twenty six. The world has changed immensely since nineteen ninety one. What is the cutting edge right now?
Speaker 2: The biggest shift is the cloud, which we touched on, but specifically the way we interact with it. The book talks about cloud consoles. It used to be you had to set up an SSH client secure shell to talk to a remote server. Now AWS and Google Cloud just give you a shell right in your web browser.
Speaker 1: So the browser is the new.
Speaker 2: Terminal, it really is. And containers are the other massive shift. We're talking Kubernetes here, Kubernetes, Docker pod Man. The idea here is moving away from managing servers to managing services. Instead of installing a web server on a Linux machine and hoping it doesn't conflict with your database, you wrap the web server in a container.
Speaker 1: Like a little isolated box.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It has everything it needs inside that box. You can ship that container anywhere and it runs exactly the same.
Speaker 1: It's literally shipping containers for code.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Linux is the native home for this. Even if you run containers on Windows, it's usually just running a hidden Linux virtual machine underneath to make it work.
Speaker 1: But the part that really jumped out at me in this new edition, and maybe this is just the hype cycle talking is the AI section.
Speaker 2: It's not just hype anymore, it's infrastructure. The eleventh edition explicitly adds a whole section on running AI workloads. It mentions tools like a LAMA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've actually played with the LAMA. Let you run large language models locally on your laptop, right.
Speaker 2: And think about the implication of that for the enterprise. Everyone is worried about data privacy right now. Companies do not want to send their proprietary data to open ai or Google right.
Speaker 1: They want to keep it in house.
Speaker 2: They want to run their own models on their own hardware, behind their own firewalls.
Speaker 1: And to do that you need Linux.
Speaker 2: The entire AI stack, PyTorch, TensorFlow, the drivers for the nvidgpus, it is all native to Linux. If you are serious about AI engineering, you aren't doing it on Windows. Linux has essentially become the operating system of the artificial mind.
Speaker 1: That is just a wild thought, going from a broke student's hobby project to the literal substrate of artificial intelligence.
Speaker 2: It really is, and the tools are evolving to match that complexity. We aren't just using the exact same tools from nineteen eighty.
Speaker 1: Four anymore, right, The book highlights a bunch of modern replacements.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, we used to use iptables for firewalls, which was honestly painful.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: Now we have firewalled on red Hat or UfW on a Buntu uncomplicated firewall. We used to use the top command to see processes. Now there's a utility called prox that gives you color coded, human readable data. Even personal desktop apps are moving to things like snap and flat pack. The ecosystem is very much alive and still inventing.
Speaker 1: So we've covered the history, the tech, and the future. But let's bring it home for the listener. So what why should you care? If someone listening isn't planning to become a cloud server admin, why pick up this book or learn Linux now?
Speaker 2: If you do care about your tech career, it's a total no brainer. The book sites tens of thousands of open jobs on indeed.
Speaker 1: Cloud architect, DevOps, engineer, cybersecurity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these are high paying, six figure jobs and they all require Linux. It's not a nice to have anymore. It's table stakes. You can't learn it without using it.
Speaker 1: But what if I just want to use my personal computer. I'm not looking for a new job.
Speaker 2: Then it's about control. We live in a world of walled gardens. Right now, your phone is completely locked down. Your Windows PC is serving you ads in the start Menuah go black box. Exactly. You don't own it. You are just renting it from big tech.
Speaker 1: And Linux is the exit door.
Speaker 2: It's the only way to truly own your hardware. When you run Linux, there is no telemetry being secretly sent back to a mothership unless you specifically turn it on. There's no planned obsolescence. You can run the latest Linux kernel on a ten year old laptop and it will fly.
Speaker 1: It's about opting out of that whole disposable technology culture precisely. You know, there was a small detail in the book that dedication. Chrisnik Is dedicated it to his wife Shari.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw that.
Speaker 1: It struck me because we sit here and talk about the cloud and the kernel and AI like they are these alien, monolithic forces. Yeah, but they aren't.
Speaker 2: No, they are built by people. And that is the beautiful thing about open source. It's not a product delivered by a faceless trillion dollar corporation. It's you're excited to share what they made. It's a global community achievement.
Speaker 1: So here's the challenge the book leaves us with. It says, point blank, you can't learn Linux without using it.
Speaker 2: You really have to get your hands dirty.
Speaker 1: So what should the listener do? Do they need to go wipe their hard drive right now?
Speaker 2: No? Please don't do that yet.
Speaker 1: Uh huh okay, good to know.
Speaker 2: Grab a USB stick, download a live ISO of Ubutu or Fedora. You can burn it to the stick, plug it in, and boot your computer directly from it. It won't touch your Windows hard drive at all. It just runs completely in memory. So you just test drive the car exactly. Open a terminal type else type woe mee. Just see what it feels like to talk directly to the machine without the layers of marketing gloss in between you and the hardware.
Speaker 1: Take the hood off. You might find you actually prefer knowing how the engine works.
Speaker 2: You just might.
Speaker 1: Which leads me with one final thought to mull over. If Linux is the operating system powering the AI revolution. As AI starts writing more and more of our code, is Linux going to be the last operating system built primarily by and for human beings? Oh wow, something to think about. Thanks for diving deep with us. We'll see you on the next one.
Speaker 2: Happy coding