Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Well, good morning, it's five o'clock. This is your wake up call for Wednesday.
Speaker 5: February fifth.
Speaker 1: So it's February fifth, and there's just twenty eight days, so we're like a fifth of the way through February already. Dang, it's going to be Christmas again before we know it. Nice light rain falling as we came in this morning. We'll just mention that, you know, Angelino's go crazy in the rain because we're not used to it. But the nice part is it's just it's.
Speaker 5: A light rain.
Speaker 4: It's general, it's nice.
Speaker 1: It's very peace at least right now, because we came in when there wasn't a lot of traffic. I would imagine that'll change through the morning. But may you have a nice, peaceful Wednesday. We got a lot going on, so let's get right to it. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. As they just mentioned, it is raining lightly and it's going to be slow and steady, at least according to forecasters. They say expect the rain from the storm rolling through southern California to just peek at a quarter inch per hour, and forecasters say the chance of significant mud and debris flows in the Palisades and Eaten Fire burn areas is just five percent or less, so that's good news. The US Army Corps of Engineers has launched Phase two of its wildfire debris removal effort, beginning with two schools destroyed in the Eaten fire. Phase two involves clearing fire damaged properties of hazardous ash and debris. The EPA is still conducting Phase one of the process. That's when they remove household hazard materials from damaged homes, businesses, and other buildings. President Trump says he will recommend the US take over the Gaza Strip. If he gets his way, the US would control the strip and would be responsible for dismantling all of the unexploded bombs and other weapons there. He said, destroyed buildings would be cleared out and rebuilt into what he calls the riviera of the Middle East.
Speaker 5: We're going to find out.
Speaker 1: How that idea is being received around the world with ABC's Jordana Miller.
Speaker 5: That's coming up in about three minutes.
Speaker 1: Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Reports of ice raids in San Bernardino County been causing some concern.
Speaker 2: The Sheriff's department took to social media to clear things up, stating that illegal immigration round ups by its deputies is not true and false. The sanm Berdandino County Sheriff's Department is also reminding people that it's their First Amendment right to assemble and exercise their freedom of speech peacefully during illegal immigration protests. However, individuals who are participating in these protests are not allowed to break the law. No arrests of protesters have been made by the deputies during demonstrations. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: For Members of the La City Council have introduced a series of proposals to offer more protections to illegal immigrants. Councilman Hugo Soto Martinez says the policies are needed to fight back against President Trump and his deportation plans.
Speaker 6: We are here today because unfortunately we have a president who wants to scapegoat and attack our immigrant neighbors, and we are not going to take that likely.
Speaker 1: The plans include a citywide marketing campaign about immigrant rights, space at LAX where organizations can offer support to immigrants, and city funding for legal services. A section of Pacific Coast Highway that was just reopened after the recent fires is closed as a precaution because of the possibility of mudslides from the two storm systems moving through southern California. The road's been closed from Carbon Beach Terrace in Malibu south to Chautauqua Boulevard in La Palisades. Residents can still access their homes with appropriate pasth While the first of two storm systems makes its presence felt in southern California, parts of northern California getting slammed by a so called atmospheric river in Marin County. A local police chief says the storms could cause some really bad flooding.
Speaker 7: We do want our community members to really be vigilant of their surrounding areas, their property, and to make sure that they're taking care of their neighbors as well.
Speaker 1: A second storm is expected to bring some much needed rain to southern California starting tomorrow. Some Dallas Mavericks season ticket holders claim they're being offered refunds following the trade of Luka Doncic to the Ragers the Lakers. A lot of fans say they are devastated by the team's decision to send Doncic to La. Ticket representatives for the Mavericks have been fielding a lot of calls since the trade was announced. The MAVs are neither confirming nor denying the refunds. The team says representatives are available to take calls from members with any concerns or questions.
Speaker 5: It's five six.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jordana Miller in Jerusalem.
Speaker 5: So, Jordana, a couple of bombshells.
Speaker 8: Yesterday, Absolutely, where do we start? I know that vers all that the President Trump saying the US is gonna take over the Gaza Strip takes you know, long term ownership, redeveloped the Gaza Strip.
Speaker 9: That was one bombshell. The second bombshell was that, you know, the Trump suggested all the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip will be resettled, Right, that's almost a million Palestinians, you know, move them out to other neighborhoods, you know, may have they'll have a chance of good life and you know, to a heart for them while dozes being redeveloped for them to be in the Gaza Strip, right, so the United States will come in. Maybe the third bombshell was, We're going to turn the Gaza Strip into the Riviera of the Middle East. The beautiful land, beautiful coast. I mean, all of those really rattling the Middle East from the Palestinians have always part of their future state. They're hoped for city and state. It is part of two state solution. But the United States take that land now, not even in any connection. Skal is really outrageous. So in his.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty piece, Geordana, right, yeah, yeah, you're I'm so interested in what you have to say, but your your signals breaking up a little bit.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you're on a cellar a hard line.
Speaker 10: I can't hear.
Speaker 5: Now we can sort of hear.
Speaker 1: You will muddle through it because I think what you're saying is super important.
Speaker 9: Right, So basically, you know, suddenly even though the President's own twenty twenty people plan for the region, all suddenly it's up for grabs, and the Palestinians don't want to leave the Gaza Strip. They consider it their home, it's not for sale, and is going to take in Palthinians and suddenly be part of the displacement of Palestinians from the Gaza Strip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's interesting that he's saying, oh, well, everybody should just go live somewhere else, like go to Egypt or Jordan, and like you said that, they don't want to go there. They don't consider that they're home. And during this whole conflict, Egypt and Jordan had said no, Palestinians can't come here in the first place. I don't know how that might change.
Speaker 9: I don't think it will change. They've said that they're not going to take part in displacing the Palestinians, right, I mean for the president to suggest, in a conflict that is really based in a dispute over land, that one side should just leave part of the land, uh, you know, because somehow they'll have better opportunities abroad. Since since the gods the strip has been leveled, is you know, counterintuitive and absurd and shows either an ignorance or willful ignorance of you know, the games, the rules of the game here. If you will, no one's gonna just go, you know, and trot off to a neighborhood in Egypt or Jordan, you know, or Turkey that the United States pays to develop. But you know, I'm still trying to figure out what President Trump in visions, you know, where they're going to go. And then once the gods the strip has developed, you know why they can't come back. It was even he was asked and he couldn't even he made it appear that this would be a permanent resettlement, right, Yeah, So that's that's also troubling. The whole, the whole, the whole proposal is troubling. I mean, it has legal and moral questions as well. I think obviously the far right here in Israel are gleeful, you know, calling this miracle and mona from heaven, because the far right has had a apocalyptic and extreme solution for the Palestinians and that is just get you know, push them out of the area so that Israel can claim sovereignty over these areas, whether it's God or.
Speaker 5: The West Bank.
Speaker 9: Right, So it's ideas so shocking, right, the whole idea is so shocking.
Speaker 10: M h.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying that right now.
Speaker 1: It seems like net and Yahoo and and like you said, the far right and President Trump are kind of the only ones who think this is a great.
Speaker 9: Idea, right And I think that, you know, I don't think it takes a lot more than these two leaders, however powerful they are, to implement this kind of a plan. And it gets very murky on how you make this reality. Is the President going to send US troops to the Gaza Strip to forcefully expel Palestinians from the Gaza Strip? Will Egypt and Jordan and other partners in the area that have peace treaties and normalization deals with Israel stand by and watch that and be a silent or complicit partner. I don't think so. You know, this is a pie in the sky kind of plan, and I don't think it can be actualized. You know, we might if we're if we're thinking, you know, again, out of the box, we might see that this is part of President Trump's negotiating strategy. Maybe he's trying to use this to corner us so they come up liquish control. So another maybe saying hey, I'm going to send US troops there in there and then you'll lose the entire Gaza Strip. Is that what you want for the Palestinians and your your cause, because that's the option get out or will take the gods of trip that maybe that could be it. I'm saying that, Yeah, I mean, I'm not saying that from any reportable sources, just to be clear. I'm just trying to understand where this plan is coming from, and that could be something that we need to look at.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I think you're right.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people are trying to figure out exactly what the endgame is here, like what is he up to? So we'll be watching it. ABC's jordonnah Miller in Jerusalem. Thank you so much for the information. Hopefully we'll have a better connection tomorrow because we love talking to you.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 4: All right, yeah, talks.
Speaker 1: Take care, But let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. A Hollywood producer has been convicted of first degree murder in la for the drug overdose deaths of a model and her friend. He was also found guilty of sexually assaulting seven other women. The jury deliberated for about two and a half days before finding David Pierce guilty yesterday. The women who died were taken to separate hospitals about two hours apart. In twenty twenty one one, Pierce is looking at a maximum one hundred and forty eight years to life in state prison when he's sentenced next month. A fifty seven year old man who grew up a twelve year old girl near a bus stop in Pasadena in November, It's been sentenced to three years in state prison. Ferris to Let of Palmdale was also ordered to register as a sex offender after he pleted no contest to charges of lewd and lascivious.
Speaker 5: Acts on a child.
Speaker 1: Officials in DC say the bodies of all sixty seven people killed in a midair collision between a commuter plane and an army helicopter have now been recovered from the Potomac River. As of yesterday, all but one had been identified. ABC's Sam Sweeney says it's been a hard job for crews on the scene.
Speaker 2: They are seeing the human element and they've had the work with that now for almost a week.
Speaker 11: It has been really difficult for them and the fire chiefs, saying that they will get counseling for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 5: He says closing the painful recovery process will now allow for faster removal of the wreckage. Most of the plane has been recovered. Pam Bondi has been confirmed by the Senate as the next Attorney General. Pennsylvania Democratic Senator John Fetterman was the only Democrat to vote in favor of renomination. Bondi was the attorney general in Florida and also a former Trump attorney. President Trump says he wants a relationship with Iran, but he says he can't let the Iranian government get a nuclear weapon. And he says if there was ever an Iranian attempt to assassinate him, there would be a powerful response from the US.
Speaker 9: That would be called total obliteration. And I can't imagine they do that.
Speaker 1: Trump says he's given his adviser's instructions to obliterate Iran if it assassinates him. The NFL's removing the end racism message that would have been in one of the end zones during the Super Bowl on Sunday. Instead, the NFL is replacing the message with the phrase choose Love. This Sunday will be the first Super Bowl since twenty twenty without one of the end zones, saying and racism. An eleven year old boy who fell through the ice on a frozen pond is alive thanks to a New Jersey police officer who jumped in to save him.
Speaker 7: He was yelling that he couldn't feel his feet or arms. You know, I just told him that I was on my way to get him and that everything was going to be all right.
Speaker 1: West Long Branch officer Dave Brazonski used his knees to break up the ice to get to the boy who'd fallen into about four feet of water.
Speaker 7: Doesn't matter how old you are, how young you are, It doesn't matter the level of experience you are was swimming. When you're in ice, cold water, you have minutes before his hotothermy starts setting in.
Speaker 1: The boy was taken to the hospital and is expected to be okay. Hundreds of high school students have walked out of class and marched through downtown LA to protest President Trump's cracked down on illegal immigration. Students converged on the main street overpass of the one oh one before continuing to march through downtown and onto City Hall yesterday. Children's Hospital of LA has put a pause on initiating hormone therapy for patients under nineteen. It follows President Trump's executive order that bans puberty blockers, hormones, and and other medical procedures for transgender kids. People under nineteen already receiving the so called gender affirming care will continue to get it. The first US flight carrying illegal migrants has arrived at Guantanamo Bay. A US official says the C seventeen took off from El Pasa, El Paso, Texas and arrived last night at the naval station in Cuba. The Department of Homeland Security says ten people on the flight are suspected members of a Venezuelan street gang.
Speaker 5: At six oh.
Speaker 1: Five's handle on the news. Everyone at the CIA has been made an offer. Go ahead and quit. Bill's gonna have something to say about that. Let's say good morning to the host of Rich on Tech ktalized text reporter. It's Rich Demura. Hey, Rich, I hear, congratulations are in order?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 10: Yes, my weekend show that started on KFI is expanding to New York City this weekend. We'll be on wo R in New York City now in addition to KFI.
Speaker 5: As long as you're not leaving KFI.
Speaker 1: I'm fine with this, but you know what, not leaving I think I know what put it over the top.
Speaker 5: Not only that you are extremely.
Speaker 1: Talented and knowledgeable about tech things, but also I remember you went to New York not too long ago and you told us about how you bought a digital billboard for yourself.
Speaker 5: So you were like on Times Square and I think they said, hey, who's that tech guy? We need them here.
Speaker 10: I think so they finally noticed me because of that. That was a cool thing. I might have to, you know what, maybe I'll get another billboard just to commemorate the new show.
Speaker 4: But I'm excited.
Speaker 10: You know, I'm from New Jersey, so it's kind of fun, you know, for my parents to be able to listen to me, and of course, you know, to bring the tech news that LA has enjoyed for so long, that helpful information to the folks of New York City.
Speaker 4: I think it's going to make it a better city.
Speaker 5: I love it. And speaking of apples, let's get to it.
Speaker 1: Apple launched a new app that's supposed to arrival evite.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well it's certainly much more modern than Evite.
Speaker 4: So it's called Apple Invites.
Speaker 10: And this is for iPhone. You make little invitations for parties through the app. They're very simple.
Speaker 4: I made one this.
Speaker 10: Morning, a mock super Bowl party invitation, and you know, the interesting thing is that it's very apply. So it's very simple, it's very clear, very easy to do. It puts your address in there, automatically puts the weather for the event. You can share photos and videos with a shared album, so that's interesting. And then you can use AI. So you know, Apple has built AI Image generation into their latest phone, so now you can use that. So I generated an image of a super Bowl party and it was pretty good. The main thing to know here is that this, of course is iPhone only, but anyone can respond to an invite even if they have Android.
Speaker 4: And you do need an.
Speaker 10: iCloud Plus subscription, which you know, that's basically if you're paying for iCloud.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I'm gonna try it out, but I don't pay for that subscription, so oh well.
Speaker 4: Well there there. I'll send you my rs VP.
Speaker 1: You could just check it out, Okay, but it is a mock invitation, so I promise I won't show up at your house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't show I put the wrong time.
Speaker 1: Okay, and speaking of Super Bowl, Uh, we all want to feel like we're there, and you kind of can if you watch it in four K, but it costs usually, but now we can see it for free.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 10: This is as far as I know, this is the first time they've broadcast the Super Bowl in four K uh streaming for free. So this is through two B t Ubi. This is Fox's free streaming app. It's got all kinds of like old and free TV shows on there. Oh, I guess new TV shows and movies and stuff. But they're going to be showing it in four K. But the trick is you have to have two things. You have to have a TV that's four K, and you also have to have a streaming device that is four K. So that's pretty much any Android TV by Sony, tc L High Sense brands like that. Then you have to have a Roku four K streaming stick or a box an Amazon Fire TV four K, you know, like one of those like sticks that they have has to be four K, Apple.
Speaker 4: TV four K. So those are the main requirements.
Speaker 10: You download the app, it'll tell you, hey, you can get this in four K boom. You do have to put in your email address. So my advice is to do this Amy before Super Bowl Sunday. Don't wait until folks come to your house right to try to download this.
Speaker 4: Like I already did this and you know, get the two b app up.
Speaker 10: And running, make sure it works, put in your email address, and you can.
Speaker 4: Watch the Super Bowl for free. I do have one person ask me, Amy, are.
Speaker 10: There are the commercials going to be the same on streaming because they tune in for the commercial and I think at least the big ones will be. But you know, there may be some local spots that are filled with something else.
Speaker 4: But you'll you'll be able to watch the big commercials through this.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, No, good to know. And then your segment today very timely because of the wildfires. So if people fuller checking out your segment on KTLA this morning, what are they going to see yet?
Speaker 10: Two interesting new ideas for fighting fires.
Speaker 4: Hybertech. This is a company out of Orange County.
Speaker 10: They are working on get this Amy, retractable homes. They literally lower into the ground and have like a cover that goes over the top like a pool cover.
Speaker 5: Oh that's going to be nice and affordable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, So we'll see what you know.
Speaker 10: These are in development. They've been developing for five years. They're trying to make a prototype, okay. And then the second one is out of Israel, inspired by Israel's Iron Dome, which like blocks missiles. This is a system that detects fire and then launches like almost like a missile, like fire retardant or water at the flames up to a quarter mile away. That's called fire Dome. And again they're trying to build a prototype here in California in the.
Speaker 4: Next two years.
Speaker 5: That one sounds more doable.
Speaker 10: I'm all about the house. I just want it for an evil layer, you know. I don't forget the fires situation. I just want, like you know, I want to Okay, Sorry, guys, I'm seeing it or I'm retracting into the ground. Bye, all right, that don't one bother me.
Speaker 5: That'll be fun, okay.
Speaker 1: Kfi's tech reporter and actually KTLA's tech reporter and the host of Rich on Tech. On KFI, you can listen to him every Saturday from eleven to two right here in LA and also in New York, So if you're on the iHeartRadio app, you can listen to him in New York starting on the weekend. And also you can follow him where can we follow you.
Speaker 10: Rich at rich on tech on Instagram is the best place, all right?
Speaker 1: Perfect, Rich Demiro, thank you so much and congrats on the New York dig gig.
Speaker 4: Thanks, Amy, really appreciate it. Have a great day, all right.
Speaker 1: The Army Corps of Engineers has officially begun it's Phase two wildfire debris removal at two schools in Pasadena destroyed in the Eton Fire. Phase two involves clearing fire damaged properties of hazardous ash and debris. Officials say the Phase two operations will expand in the coming weeks to include holmes destroyed by the Eton and Palisades fires. The maximum penalty for price gouging in La County could increase to fifty thousand dollars per violation if the Board of Supervisors approves the idea next week. Supervisor Lindsay Horvath says there have been several instances of gouging since the wildfires.
Speaker 9: One report by a coalition called the Rent Brigade found thousands of potential violations throughout La County, not just an areas adjacent to the fires.
Speaker 5: In the first eleven days.
Speaker 1: Alone, Supervisors have also voted to request state and federal assistance with the removal of ash, sediment and debris from the beaches, and to support state legislation that would freeze rents for fire victims. And speaking of state legislation, Republican state lawmakers have announced eight bills related to wildfire recovery and fire prevention.
Speaker 2: The bills have all rolled out recently, with a focus on speeding up underground utilities without lengthy environmental reviews, incentivizing fire prevention by residents at their homes, and increasing water storage. Senator Kelly Said Artill from the IE says he hopes the recent wildfires in La County lead a lasting change because others in the past haven't as much as they should.
Speaker 10: It seems like we start with some legislation and then we kind of run out of we run out of.
Speaker 2: Momentum, so ARCTO says, some of the wildfire related bills from both sides of the political aisle have bipartisan support. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: The theme has been announced for the twenty twenty six Rose Parade. Gosh, it seems like the twenty twenty five Rose Parade just stepped off it's called the magic in teamwork. The new tournament president says it was chosen months ago and was supposed to be announced a couple of weeks ago, but was delayed because of the fires in La California. Governor Newsom headed to Washington, d C. He's hoping to meet with President Trump and also is planning to meet with members of Congress. He'll be talking with lawmakers about federal disaster aid in response to the wildfires. The governor's office is the trip will give Newsom a chance to discuss the details of the state's request for aid and water policy with the FED. President Trump's idea to have the US take over the Gaza Strip and resettle Palestinians who've lived there somewhere else is being rejected by Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and others. Turkey's foreign minister says even thinking about it is, in his words, wrong and absurd. A number of all I say they support a two state solution. Researchers say there's been an alarming rise in the number of advanced prostate cancer diagnoses across California. The Journal of the American Medical Association says the study shows from twenty eleven to twenty twenty one, prostate cancer cases increased nearly seven percent each year. At six oh five Handle on the news, the use of hormone blockers is being blocked at children's hospital.
Speaker 5: La amis on it.
Speaker 9: Aami's on it, Aami's on.
Speaker 12: It, Dami's on it.
Speaker 5: What am I on?
Speaker 1: I'm on streaming shows, movies, TV shows, document I just found about a new documentary that I got to start.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to tell you what it is yet.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's a brand new documentary, but I hadn't heard about it before, so new to me. Maybe it'll be new to you too. This week, I am on a on a nominated movie. We have award season coming up, and in fact it's already won a Golden Globe Award. It's called A Real Pain. You can see it on Hulu. It is streaming. A lot of the movies that are nominated haven't been released on streaming for free yet, like you have to pay for them. This one is included on Hulu, which is one of the reasons I watched it because I didn't have to pay for it. It's Kieran Colkin as Benji Kaplan and Jesse Eisenberg as his cousin David. And the premise of the story is that they go on this pilgrimage to Poland if they want to honor their grandmother who's recently died, and then they end up they go on a Holocaust tour, so they decide to fly across the world together. They don't seem to really know much about each other that they are, except that they are very different and they drive each other a little bit crazy. Well, mainly Kieran playing Benji drives Jesse crazy because Kieren Kieren's just sort of a freak.
Speaker 5: In this movie.
Speaker 1: In fact, he's very neurotic, sort of an interesting character, but it reminds me too much of his role in Succession, Like it's almost the same character, you know how some actors, And again he's a really good actor. I'm not trying to dismiss that at all, but some actors they stay the same person Like Meryl Streep is fabulous, but she's kind of the same you know a lot of her movies. She just has those characteristics that are so familiar and stuff. So it felt a little bit like that, and even the character felt a little bit like that, because like in Succession, you know how at least I felt this way, I kind of I didn't like any of the characters, and I tried to, but they just were so icky that it was hard to like root for them. This one it's the same where people like him, but he's he's he's a little he's an odd ball a little bit, and he's not that likable. So that I have a little problem with because they keep saying, oh, everybody loves you, everybody loves you, but you see him a lot where there's nothing lovable about him. So it's a little bit of a disconnect there. It is a little bit slow going, and you know, it's not action packed, but it's an interesting There's there's no real revelation in the movie. I mean, they have some little things, but it's just sort of this quiet journey. So like so many movies that come out of Hollywood, I don't feel like the characters really learn anything, and I don't feel like there was any redemption. But the movie does come to sort of a logical conclusion. It's a good watch. It's not a great one, but if you have Hulu, I'd say go ahead and watch it. But I wouldn't put it on the top of my list, so it's a real pain. It's on Hulu. I'm on it, but I'm not that excited about it. So okay, hopefully we'll get a better one for next week to share with you again.
Speaker 5: If you have some time, go ahead right.
Speaker 1: Now, let's say good morning to Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, heard on stations all over the US and now heard every morning at five point forty right here on wake up Call.
Speaker 5: Good morning Courtney, Good morning. Okay.
Speaker 1: We got a lot to cover this morning, so so much from busy Okay, I want to start with something that I love, happy news, and that is that Disney had a good quarter thanks to Muwanatu.
Speaker 12: Yes, the box office smash, giving Disney investors a reason to celebrate this morning.
Speaker 11: We'll play a little.
Speaker 5: Music to pump us up.
Speaker 10: Finally, we're womens.
Speaker 12: That's what Disney is pretty much saying. Well, the entertainment giant reporting quarterly earnings the top expectations due to the movie and improving performance from its streaming business. Recently, Disney raised the price of its Disney Plus and Hulu streaming services buy as much as twenty five percent and by the way, this report is sponsored by Fidelity Wealth Management. Have to point that out the good people at Fidelity.
Speaker 1: Okay, so then I'm going to move on to other things that make people happy and that. But this might not make you happy because you're talking about raising prices. Mattel is considering raising prices.
Speaker 12: Yes, so, I guess when Barbie wakes up in her own pink world, she also sees the tariff's going to affect her too. It looks like Barbie might actually have to take out a second mortgage for her dream house.
Speaker 6: Mattel.
Speaker 12: I know this sounds so sad, but Mattel is considering raising the price of Barbie Dolls other toys. It's a way too off set the cost of potential tariffs. The toymaker says it's going to first look at its supply chain, then it may move some production before deciding whether to pass on these added expenses to consumers.
Speaker 1: Do we know our Barbie's made in the US? Are they made in China?
Speaker 12: Oh? Actually, when Mittel looks at it's sourcing, about forty percent of its products are from China and ten percent are from Mexico, and overall, the company to report earnings too, and it did top Wall Street expectations and the big driver there and of course there's a pun here hot wheels, gotcha.
Speaker 1: And of course Mattel is based right here in El Segundo exactly. Okay, stocks, how are they looking today?
Speaker 12: Well, Google parent company Alphabet, they are tumbling in the pre market. They report it also disappointing earnings results on the other hand from Mattel, So investors are concerned about the billions of dollars the company has been spending on artificial intelligence. So this is why we're seeing a weight on the overall market. We talk about those futures. DAL futures are down seventy five points s and P futures falling four tenths of a percent. But yesterday stocks finished the day higher after President Trump gave that last minute reprieve to Canada and Mexico.
Speaker 1: We love that, Okay, Courtney Donaho with Bloomberg. We appreciate it, and we'll talk to you again tomorrow morning.
Speaker 5: You see you later.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. La City Hall may soon extend further protections to illegal immigrants.
Speaker 2: The mayor and city council have already declared LA to be a sanctuary city. Now some council members have introduced more legislation. Councilwoman Unsices Hernandez says it's to fight against President Trump's deportation policies.
Speaker 8: Los Angeles is a city of immigrants, and we won't stand as the backward administration tries to dismantle the very things that make our city great.
Speaker 2: The plans call for city funding for legal services, space at LAX for organizations to help immigrants, and a citywide marketing campaign about immigrant rights. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: FBI agents have sued the Justice Department over in order to turn over a list of agents and employees who worked on the cases of people involved in the capital riots. ABC's Pierre Thomas says the agents claim they're being targeted by their own department.
Speaker 7: Two federal lawsuits are asking the court to stop collection and dissemination of information about all these employees, and also calls for the Justice Department to pay the legal bills for FBI personnel.
Speaker 1: The agents say they believe the order is a totally unfair prime. President Trump says he's planning to investigate California's controversial high speed rail project.
Speaker 9: The train that's being built between Los Angeles and San Francisco is.
Speaker 2: The worst managed project I think I've ever seen, and I've.
Speaker 9: Seen some of the worst.
Speaker 1: Trump also says it's impossible that something could cost so much, especially since it's no longer going from San Francisco to LA as it was sold to voters. Governor Newsom is expected to meet with Trump today at the White House, and the LA Zoo is getting ready to open a new vulture exhibit. The Cape vulture is a large bird with a wingspan of up to eight and a half feet, so that's bigger than a bald eagle, and it stands about three feet tall. Cape vultures are named for their South African range, which includes the Cape region. The exhibit in LA opens on Friday. Pasadena Humane Society says it has reunited more than fourteen hundred animals with their owners following the wildfire in Altadena. Pasadena Humans Kevin McManus says they are committed to caring for animals at the shelter until people affected by the wildfires can get back on their feet and are ready to take them home.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 1: UC Berkeley is one of five universities being investigated because of rising anti semitism on campus. The Department of Educations investigating the universities after President Trump signed an executive order calling on the federal agencies to take action against reports of widespread anti Semitic harassment on college campuses. The US Postal Services announced it will no longer accept packages from China or Hong Kong until further notice. Letters and flat envelopes will still be accepted. The news comes after President Trump announced additional tariffs against China and after China imposed retaliatory tariffs. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning. The big question for Sunday will be is President Trump wearing red and gold or green? Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Peter Harralambus.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Peter.
Speaker 4: Good morning Amy. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Hey, birthright citizenship front and center today and in the hands of a federal judge. So break it down for us. What is the judge looking at?
Speaker 11: Yeah, so at this point this judge is considering weather basically to permanently block Trump's executive order that sought to get rid of this idea of birthright citizenship for the children of undocumented immigrants. Now, Judge, this executive order has already been temporarily put on hold, but this hearing in Maryland today is really vital in terms of Trump's appeal. If she issues a preliminary injunction, that could be the end of potential enforcement of that executive order for now, and it could begin the process of Trump's inevitable appeal. Source as close to the president tell us that his team understood that this executive order was likely to get challenged and potentially ruled against, and that the plan here is to appeal it upwards and potentially go to the Supreme Court, where they could rewrite law basically regarding the Fourteenth Amendment.
Speaker 5: Okay, and so tell us how.
Speaker 1: They're making their argument, because the birthright citizenship is in the constitution.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So the argument that Trump's doj is making here is kind of twofold one. They're saying that this idea of birthright citizenship, and then again, this is something that is well settled in the Constitution. It's been settled by the Supreme Court for over one hundred years. Actually, coming from a case out of California, Juan Kim ark that they're now saying is basically a misinterpretation of the Constitution. They're arguing that a few phrases within the citizenship clause of the fourteenth Amendments are misunderstood and that they're actually right about their interpretation of things. That's an argument that legal experts are skeptical of, but it's an argument they're making. They're also saying that the people who pass the Fourteenth Amendment never envisioned it being used to basically have a misincentive for illegal immigration. Again, these are arguments that are very political in natere not necessarily legal. So it's going to be hard to see how a district court is receptive to them. Though the Supreme Court could be a different question. We have a conservative majority there and Trump's appointees make up three members of that court.
Speaker 1: Well, but they I think that I think that they've shown that they'll go against what the president wants if it's what they think the Constitution says.
Speaker 5: I think they've demonstrated. I think that'll be interesting to see.
Speaker 9: That's exactly right.
Speaker 11: Amy. At the end of the day, the Supreme Court is comprised of people who are deeply fond of the Constitution, and the Constitution in this case is pretty clear about who is entitled to birthright citizenship, and that's anyone basically in the United States, undocumented or not, with a few very narrow exceptions like the children of diplomats.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you mentioned the political leanings of this whole issue. Obviously Trump brings it up and someone's immediately going to sue. Who is bringing the case against.
Speaker 11: This, Yeah, that's a great question. This case is actually brought by five pregnant undocumented women who are suing the Trump administration. It's different than that case we saw in Seattle a few weeks ago, where there are multiple cases brought by state attorneys general. In this case, these women are coming from all different kinds of countries and arguing that their children will effectively become stateless if this executive order is carried out. Their children from parents who immigrated from Russia who were saying that they can't return to Russia because they fear political prosecution. There are multiple plaintiffs here from Venezuela, a country that's going through political and economic turmoil, and their argument here is that if this executive order is carried out, their children will be unable to get American citizenship and they're unable to get Venezuelan citizenship. It's this idea of statelessness that we've never really had before in the United States that this court's going to have to wrestle with.
Speaker 5: Very compelling argument.
Speaker 1: Interesting and I hadn't known that part of the case before, So very very interesting. ABC's Peter Hairalumbo's thank you so much, appreciate the information.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 5: Are great, takes care. So the law is so interesting.
Speaker 1: I love that we get to talk to people and they kind of get to peel back the onion for us a little bit and help explain it. But I think it's interesting that they're pregnant women who are here illegally but Venezuela and Russia and going we can't go back.
Speaker 5: I mean, so compelling.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A woman has been found dead inside a home in the Santa Clarita area. The only County Sheriff's Department's deputies were sent to the home in New Hall last night to do a welfare check. They say the woman was found unresponsive, no other information was given. News brought to you by Simper Solaris. An elementary school employee in Orange County is facing charges of sexual assault for an alleged dating relationship with a sixteen year old girl. The man was arrested yesterday by officers responding to reports of possible sexual activity in a parked car. The pair was found in the back seat police. They both admitted to meeting at Foothill High School and being in a dating relationship for a few weeks. The Only City Attorney's office has filed civil and criminal cases against people and businesses accused of price gouging after the fires. Attorney Heidi Feldstein Soto says in one case, a home rental company bumped up rents by as much as fifty percent over what was advertised before the fires. She says that's not only illegal, it's unconscionable to try to take advantage of people when they are at their most vulnerable. The largest federal government employee union has sued the Trump administration over its buyout offer for workers. The union called the buyouts an arbitrary, unlawful, short fused ultimatum which workers may not be able to enforce. Employees have received an email saying if they quit, they'll be paid through September. One of the biggest tech firms in the world is reported at disappointing fourth quarter. ABC's Mike Debuski says the earnings of Google parent company Alphabet felt slightly short of expectations. During the last three months of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Revenues for the tech company rose to just under ninety six and a half billion dollars, but analysts were predicting just over ninety six and a half billion. Experts blame a tough digital advertising market.
Speaker 1: He says Microsoft also missed expectations in cloud computing when it reported earnings last week. And a quick update on the story I just told you about. The US Postal Service had announced that it would no longer accept packages from China or Hong Kong until further notice. Well, that further notice has come. The US Postal Service has reversed its course and now says it will continue to accept all inbound mail and packages from China and Hong Kong. And tens of thousands of eggs have been poached in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: And that's no yoking matter. The burglars snatched them from the back of a trailer over the weekend, cracking the case wide open. State police in Pennsylvania say about one hundred thousand organic eggs were stolen, which comes to a sizzling forty thousand dollars in product. In twenty twenty four, the average price of a dozen eggs in the US sword by fifty percent. The increase appears to have accelerated since President Donald Trump was elected in November, according to data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Economists and market analysis say the bird flu is also driving the price hike. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland. Weather from KFI, rain off and on through the day. I will be in the low sixties. Rain's expected to continue tonight with lows in the forties and fifties, and then a good chance of rain four tomorrow morning. We should get a break in the afternoon, then rain will start up again Tomorrow night through Friday, becoming sunny on Saturday, partly cloudy Sunday. Highs through the rest of the week in the low to mid sixties. It's fifty four and Fullerton fifty four in San Clementi, fifty one in Pasadena, and fifty three in Whittier. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen to it anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King, you can always here wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.