Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Welcome back to the Strategy Session. I am Rick Wilson, your host tonight, joined by my friend Matthew Dowd and another member of the Lincoln Project team that is bringing the fight to the bad guys this year.
Speaker 2: Matt, it's a big night tonight.
Speaker 1: We've got a whole bunch of primaries in Florida, Alaska, Wyoming, California. For a couple of specials here and there. It's uh, we're getting onto the end of primary season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, are we finally at the end of primary scene? I actually like the way they do it in Texas where they hold the primary in March and you can have a general election for seven and a half months.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh.
Speaker 1: I know, being a longtime Florida guy, these fall primaries always just crush you because it's like you have to do all the statewide campaigning and all the fundraising in sixty days. Yep, it's a it's a well, seventy days, but it's a it's a crush.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I think Florida. Everybody's watching Florida.
Speaker 1: I think the governor's race is looking good for David Jolly in the primary in all these places, folks, the big issues, data centers, crypto taxes, and of course affordability has just eaten up the mind space of people in the country this year, Matt, And I'm curious what your thoughts are about, like, Florida is a more conservative state even for Democrats than a lot of other states, and you're going to end up it looks like tonight, you know, we don't know yet, but it looks like David Jolly and Alex Vineman are going to be the statewide candidates at the top of the ticket. And I'm curious about your thoughts about how these progressive movements in the primaries and other states have been very active and it's not going to be that way in Florida.
Speaker 2: It doesn't look like at this point.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts on how how these races are going to are going to affect the fall, these more conservative candidates in Florida gonna affect the fall?
Speaker 3: Well, I you know, to me, there's been a total misread by so many folks in this when they described the results as left as left or progressive versus moderate. And you look at race after race and Rick, you've done enough races and I've worked with you a bunch that in the end, candidate quality and candidability to communicate, candidate and candidate passion, all those things and a candidate sense of authenticity is way, way, way more more powerful than ideology. I mean, it's it's why the progressive one in Michigan in the Senate race, he was a much better candidate, and he proves himself every day, vast candidate to be a better candidate. And in race after race, why Flannagan and Minnesota instead of winning by three or fourty one by twenty it's just it's we The media doesn't know how to talk about it, so they then they default into this most of the media defaults into this progressive versus moderate thing when in reality, it's candidate quality.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: I mean, we saw that Wisconsin last week where where the DSA candidate just was not as good as as the guy who actually won the race. He got out, he did the work and said he could have been left right or center. With that a degree of intensity and authenticity. Man, I think he is truly.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think he's a very impressive candidate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, Rick, it goes to sort of what we're trying to do here at Lincoln Project is people. We're not in a moment where people want you to mince words, right, they want you to tell it to him straight and tell it to him to say, this is the deal. That's why any candidate, I mean, we could look forward to twenty twenty eight, any candidate that tries to do this, I'm going to heal the country and we shouldn't prosecute Donald Trump and we're going to bring people together. Anybody that does that I think is immediately disqualified.
Speaker 1: That that's the last place candidate in my in my assessment, no matter what, this idea that you can't have accountability just because you know, because we're nice guys.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, this is the mistake. And I you know, I thought Biden was a good president. I thought Obama was a good president. But this is the mistake they made. They they fell into this traple. I'm going to work with the Republicans and I'm going to do these things and then in the end I'll be able to get done when I what I should have gotten done. And I think they both of them missed an opportunity to address the structural problem in our country and the structural problem in the democracy. They both didn't do. They could have done certain things that would have prevented where we are today by pat you know, when they had majorities, when they hadbility to do it. But they thought, I'm going to work with the Republicans on things. And it's a mistake, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I get why President Biden wanted to do the Infrastructure Bill and the Chips Act and the Recovery Act. I get why he wanted to do it, but I also feel like that did lead them to take their foot off the gas on things like January sixth, and things like the Trump classified documents prosecutions until it was way too late in the game.
Speaker 3: And who we who we put in as Attorney General.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I've never met Merrick Garland. I'm sure he is a lovely man. He was not the man for that moment.
Speaker 3: No, It's like saying that there's somebody's a lovely man and they're going to go into a gladiator fight, and I was like, that guy was a really nice guy.
Speaker 1: Good guy, superb friendly guy. Well, folks, we've got a race tonight in Florida. I just want to bring this up map before we move on to the next thing. I meant to mention this a minute ago. We have a race in Florida's nineteenth Congressional district, which is sort of Cape Coral Benita Springs, part of Naples, which, folks is the in Florida. It is the hot bed of maga. It is it is the white hot center of maga in Florida. And it is a race with not one, not two, but three former Republican congressman, all who had to leave in disgrace, an insane woman and I mean, I mean she makes uh Lauren Bobert look like a Nobel Prize winning physicist, and like fifteen other people, all of whom are racing to become the craziest maga it, you know, Matthew. And the reason I bring this up is, in my mind, there's a moment unless Trump like keels over tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I really feel like.
Speaker 1: That's the future of a lot of Republican primaries weirder and weirder, more and more about the deer Leader, even after he's going to be out of office. I feel like that's a weird preview. A lot of these guys are frustrated. They want to run for something. They want to be in office, they want to get power, but they have to go through now a reality show, not just a primary.
Speaker 3: Well, I actually think you're right to sort of focus on that because I think too often we think, Okay, once Trump's gone, then everything overturned to normal, which it won't. And the Republican Party has has become it's caught the virus, right, and it's it's it's there's no antidote to it other than eliminating it, right, is eliminating it. And I think, I actually think it could get worse win the Republican Party because there's a bunch of voters that are gonna think that Donald Trump was, that Donald Trump won two elections on some of the most of their minds, three elections, but that he won these elections. And the reason why the Republicans aren't winning enough is they're not being enough like Donald Trump. There's a whole bunch of maga voters that think that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, for sure, and and you know this is like purity checks inside of political parties rarely end well for the party's broad appeal. So, speaking of broad appeal, we've got Donald Trump's numbers are crashing, and it might be Matt called me crazy. It might be because he's now threatened to bomb Oman, one of our longest standing allies in the Gulf. He's got Jared Kushner running around saying he's got a secret deal he can't tell us about.
Speaker 2: And we're we've.
Speaker 4: Declared the hormone, the straight up hormones is a new US territory.
Speaker 2: And maybe that's something to do with these numbers.
Speaker 3: You know, you ever you ever see the movie of the Campaign with Jason Sedekas and absolutely, okay, it's really for all you all that haven't seen it, it's a really funny. See it's a very funny movie. Remember the scene in the movie where he walks in the office and Will Beryl's sitting at the and he comes up with this crazy right like, it's like, here's my campaign plant. And Jason Dakas turns and says, is that book you're reading a book of bad campaign ideas?
Speaker 2: That's what he says to me.
Speaker 3: Is that a book of bat It's as if the Republicans are reading from a book of bad ideas. They're not addressing any of the issues. They're not addressing any of the issues that people care about none, jobs, healthcare, all of those things, and actually a different foreign policy. And they keep coming up, and Donald Trump keeps coming up with this, this, these these crazy thoughts and these crazy ideas that every moment you think. I thought, you know, when we talked, we talked a few weeks ago on this, I thought, Oh, I can't get worse. It's actually gotten worse. It's got worse, and he's now they have now Donald Trump now has a seventy four percent disapproval rating among independents. Yeah, seventy four percent disapproval.
Speaker 1: Which to loop back on Florida one more time, folks, the largest group of voters in Florida are nonpartisan voters. They are in PA's they are the classic independence. They used to vote Republican about sixty percent of the time. And the polling now has flipped upside down. And you know, two to one, three to one, four to one against is not where you want to be in a state with a big pool of independent voters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I would argue, and I know you've pushed this, I would argue, we shouldn't look past Florida on election night because, as we've talked before, Donald Trump's much worse position than he was in twenty eighteen, much worse position, much worse position in Florida than was in twenty eighteen. He had a dead even job approval rating in Florida. Now I think it's double digits negative, and it is. It's minus twenty on the economy. And that race for governor in Florida, and you remember this in twenty eighteen, with a rather flawed Democratic candidate lost by less than one percent of the vote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty eighteen, it is.
Speaker 1: And Byron Donalds is now spent close to forty million dollars and his approval went from our disapproval stayed the same, or actually rose a little bit. But his approval was at forty when he started, and it is a forty one.
Speaker 2: Now. He better get a billion.
Speaker 1: Dollars before now in election day because that math isn't mathing.
Speaker 2: It's the kids say.
Speaker 1: So you know that that these polling numbers, as I like to sort of summarize it, America really does not like Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Yep. The magic is gone. Yep.
Speaker 1: I mean that we're we're now deep into the base number. And and you know, you see these things in Quinnipiac as you and I both known, poll solid pull, all these things that were his strengths are now completely blown out.
Speaker 3: He has not a single positive rating on any issue, any issue. And people forget that in twenty eighteen he had a plus eight on the economy. It's now minus thirty, minus thirty on the economy. He had a plus eight when he lost bad in twenty eighteen. And in this idea that Donald Trump has test don which is often called he's not tested on that when you have a thirty five percent approval rating.
Speaker 1: And you know, I keep saying to people, you know, I feel like this election is interestingly sort of the weird love child of two thousand and six and twenty and eighteen. It's the two thousand and six high gas prices, inflation unpopular form where you and I both remember that great year, that was such a great year, but in twenty eighteen with the widespread disconnect with the voters that that Trump had then, and he's much worse off now than he was then.
Speaker 3: He's much worse and the Republican base is much less unenthusiastic. It's when you look at the non MAGA Republicans, which are about twenty five percent of the Republican Party Republican voters. Those voters, in my view, are either going to skip high profile races or not vote.
Speaker 1: I am I am increasingly believing that because Trump's not on the ballot and the situation is so grim, you know, they don't ever have to admit it that they are angry with him. They probably never will, but the reality is they're going to show it, I think.
Speaker 2: By not coming out to vote.
Speaker 1: And that's exactly that's going to be a bigger you know, the Democrats smartly, they're now doing the sort of like modesty thing. We're going to fight hard for the Senate. We think we'll get eighteen House seats. I think now they're starting to put the brakes on. Some people don't get over confident, but there's no world where Donald Trump is a net advantage to a lot of these candidates. I mean, do you think Ken Paxson's going to bring Donald Trump to Texas?
Speaker 3: Do you think they're going to be the Senate the Republican senator is going to bring Donald Trump to Alaska? Do you think that?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And do you think she the woman in Iowa's going to bring him to Iowa? I mean, none of these, none of these. The only people that will are the people that I think are in They're no longer swing races. I mean, I think what's happened in the last sixty days is races that we thought were swinging are no longer swing, right.
Speaker 1: Like he'll show up in South Carolina. He's not going to show up in Florida.
Speaker 3: Nope.
Speaker 2: And and and I think that.
Speaker 1: That that is one more thing, one more chip in the Trump control of the party. The primaries are over, and now his presence in their lives is a net negative.
Speaker 3: And then some Yeah, that's a really good point people should make because Donald Trump has never helped somebody get across the general election line. He's never helped a single candidate get across the general election.
Speaker 1: I mean, and this was before your time at LP, But in twenty twenty one, when we were helping us Off and Reverend Warnock in Georgia, Trump, every time Trump showed up, our trackers showed another dip for the Republicans. Every single time he made a speech or tweeted about it. You could almost measure it. It was a short porch race, but we were tracking almost from the very first day and It was just disastrous because he would keep saying things.
Speaker 2: Like other the election was rigged and it's still rigged. Don't vote no sure thing, Donald, you keep that up.
Speaker 1: Speaking of future Republican campaigns, you and I have both done our penance in the great state of Iowa. Yes, and Pete Hexseth is headed out there this weekend to campaign. It is widely being interpreted as pet except once to run for president.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't get how any Republican candidate would be feel good about him showing up. I don't like him showing up in a state. And maybe he you know, the level of delusion in Maga world is high.
Speaker 2: As you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean maybe he thinks that because he's you know, the crazy stuff he does. He's he's crazier than everybody else and therefore gives him an opportunity in this. I mean, I don't get it. He's only going to hurt the local candidates.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Oh yeah, don't. I don't see any world where that is.
Speaker 3: That is a especially in the midst of the Randa buckle. He's going to go out there as Secretary of devents, in the midst of the random.
Speaker 1: We've got We've got people starving on an aircraft carrier and in miserable conditions, and he's going to go out and start a presidential flirtation at the least.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, but you read the room, Pete.
Speaker 1: Yes, So speaking of of Heck said, I wanted to bring up the South Korea situation because Trump's affection for dictators is widely known, and this week it manifested itself as America jumping into be looks like more part of the axis of evil than ever before.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you look at that and then you look at it. I don't know if it says it in this tweet or not, but he said it online when he basically said South Korea and Australia and Japan they didn't support me in the Iran deal, which actually my view is of the intelligence test and they passed it in this. In this case, he's if he's like a jilted boyfriend or something like, they didn't do this, So I'm not gonna I'm not gonna protect anybody. I mean, it's such a bizarre approach to the world.
Speaker 1: It's such a and you know, we've all heard the self the sort of self the protection racket speech.
Speaker 2: That's a nice country you have. There'd be a shame if there was a fire.
Speaker 4: Maybe you should pay me some protection money.
Speaker 2: We've heard that in a lot of times.
Speaker 1: But I mean the entire predicate of the Republican Party's national security argument right now is Iran and China are the two most important things in the world. So he's attacking our allies in the Gulf region like Oman, and he's attacking our ally in South Korea, which is a central lynchpin in the Indo Pacific strategy against China's expansion. I I mean, there's a part of me now that is is you know, I hesitate to be to diagnose Donald Trump, but I don't know if Grandpa is really clear on who's who anymore on the map, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't want to stretch this line too far. But you know, the only the only beneficiary of this is is dictators overseas, but more importantly, our oligarchs. If you think about a world that no longer has a unified set of values, right it is the oligarchs who you know, the Elon Musks of the world, and Russian oligarchs and other oligarchs the oligarchs here. And I actually think Donald Trump deep down believes that that the world would be a better place if the wealthiest people who are disconnected from job growth and all the other things, and they don't have any idea what the average person goes through is this is a world that as they as they unfold it, it is a perfect playpin for oligarchs.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: You know, if you look at that, like sort of the Russian theory, which I think Trump doesn't understand but probably kind of viscerally wants.
Speaker 2: You divide the world into three chunks.
Speaker 1: Russia gets Europe, China gets Asia, Trump gets North and South America. And I mean that's simple enough for him to understand, I guess. But it really is that a world where where very very very wealthy people will be empowered beyond any any boundaries of law or democratic governance of any kind.
Speaker 4: I think there are a lot of people that would want that.
Speaker 2: They really do. Think there's ae man.
Speaker 3: I think the tech that's sort of billionaire tech bro class would just assume they're not be international law.
Speaker 1: Sure, Oh I I you know I I I know somebody who works with one of these one of the one of the bad guys in the list.
Speaker 2: Let's just say that.
Speaker 1: Who describe it to me is like, you cannot believe how petty they are when they have they're told things like they have to show a passport flying their.
Speaker 2: Jet into a country. They get so angry.
Speaker 1: Don't you know that I developed this blah blah blah, it's off, no show me your passport, jerk. So uh, I want to do one more thing on the foreign policy front. Let's play this clip of Mike Johnson, because it's just it's it's a chef's kiss.
Speaker 3: Table for the US economy who taken off like a rocket if you look at it. We were doing that the first quarter of this year, and then we got into this conflict with Iran.
Speaker 1: Now look, we got into it.
Speaker 3: We got it to it if I stepped in this puddle by mistaken my shoes.
Speaker 2: Away, we got into it.
Speaker 4: Somehow it happened to somebody else.
Speaker 3: I mean, he has become a parody of himself. The other day. I'm sure you saw it the other day when he said which I actually thought was the greatest democratic talking point, when he said, if the Democrats win, they're going to tear down everything. Donald Trump has done, and I was like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes we are for a start.
Speaker 1: But don't worry, Donald Trump will always have his his traveling companion Natalie Harp John Ossoff without saying anything beyond what is.
Speaker 3: Known to be Trump, he's very good. He's very he's very good.
Speaker 1: I have to say, i'm i'm. I've watched him grow in the last year as a political talent and he's getting into that very high firmament now yep of superb communicators, authenticity, heart, passion, all those things you were talking about in the beginning. And there's a reason why he's jumped up in the in the odds makers for twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Oh he's a talent man. He's a talent yea, he really is.
Speaker 1: And he's also learned that part of the talent you have to bring to the table is to poke Trump.
Speaker 3: Right now, Well, he's learned to do it, and he's done it in a he does it in a way. I mean the thing about John off Off, which you can't you can't manufacture. He can do it without coming across as a jerk, right. He does it in a way that is that pokes Donald Trump, but he comes across as it's like, I'm just gonna just tell you what it is. I don't you know, you guys decide.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's it's interesting that race. You know, Republicans, I know, I know some Republicans who a year ago were extremely optimistic about that race. And now I was told at an event over the weekend that that Tim Scott, who's doing the finances for the n R see uh, told somebody that that's done, it's cooked, it's over, forget it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I heard that I heard that same thing among a Republican group. And I also heard that they also believe the North Carolina thing is done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, North Carolina. Yeah, they they've given up on North Carolina. What I was told is their their big focus is going to be saving Susan Collins. That's that's that's where they think they can still have a fighting chance.
Speaker 3: Which ought to tell us, which ought to tell all of us about who Susan Collins.
Speaker 1: Is correct, That is, yes, thank you, Matthew, exactly right. If they're going to run to her defense, they're not going to help Ken Paxton. They're not going to help Collins or Georgia Collins. They're not gonna help Wattley. They're they've decided Susan Collins is just fine with them.
Speaker 3: Is a needed vote for them. That's what it tells you everything you need to know about Susan Collen.
Speaker 2: That is exactly right.
Speaker 1: But also have triggered the Trump people this week in a way that I've just loved so much, because he said that Trump wants to build his ballroom and travel with Natalie. He didn't say anything beyond that, but my lord, the the maga flipout about this has been. These are people, by the way, that that say that their enemies run a They used to say that Hillary Clinton murdered US soldiers and ran a cannibal pedophile ring in a pizza restaurant in DC. But you can't say that Trump likes to travel with Natalie Hart. And their reaction is it's been a big tell.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's a huge It's a huge, a huge tell in this. I actually think we do we should do a we should do a series travels with Natalie or something.
Speaker 2: Because.
Speaker 3: Really, I mean the whole I mean, and talk about somebody and you've I'm sure watched her and all that, and I don't know if we have a clip of her talking in this, in this, but she's another she's an other whack a doodle.
Speaker 1: Oh oh oh, you know, as somebody texted me this morning, that's that woman's gonna boil rabbits if she's kept away from the president.
Speaker 3: Oh what's her name in South Carolina? You know what's her name?
Speaker 2: Oh Nancy Mace.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Oh yeah, Nancy Mayce like post a picture of herself with all these new tattoos, with her with her with her shirt or with a tank top on, and she's suddenly like, why are you talking about my tattoos? Why are you because you're showing them to us because they're in our face.
Speaker 2: Ma'am.
Speaker 1: Let's play that Natalie Harp clip from twenty twenty two.
Speaker 5: We can't talk about winning back the House and Senate in twenty twenty two and the White House in twenty twenty four if we don't act on the fact that we actually did win the White House and the Senate in twenty twenty. We shouldn't be afraid to say that because it's true.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Pardon me, but my lord, I mean that level of delusion is one of two are one of two things. She's either that cuckoo or she's that attuned to what Donald Trump's psychology needed from her.
Speaker 3: I mean, I uh, we're both okay. I was just gonna say, camp killy, go with both.
Speaker 2: The then diagram can overlap.
Speaker 3: Because if if a person is that attuned to Donald Trump, there is some evidence that that's cuckoo.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my lord, Well, folks, We've got a lot of stuff gonna pop tonight.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a big night tonight. And I want to thank everybody. Uh.
Speaker 1: I wrote a big piece about Flock today because I really view flock as a real threat to our national security.
Speaker 3: Agree with you Rick on this.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you Matthew, because you know, I started digging into it, and Flock is the tip of the spear of a big infrastructure that's coming together that that I think is should should scare the hell out of Americans. And I'm actually gonna make that article on the Free in the next few minutes. I had a sponsor subscriber donate to the to the sub sect and asked me to make it public.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do that in a few minutes. But we're gonna be, uh, We're gonna be.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be following the news tonight, and folks, Renee and I are going to be doing one of our little cocktail and live streams tonight on over It against all Enemies after eight o'clock when the poll results close.
Speaker 2: In the great state of Florida. Matt, thanks for coming on tonight, brother.
Speaker 3: Oh great, It's always great to be with you.
Speaker 2: Rick. Likewise, my friend, I'm looking.
Speaker 3: Forward to the next seventy days.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have a good time. Yeah, we're gonna We're gonna cost some trouble, folks,