Speaker 1: It is Kentucky and his Morning News with Coffee and Company on news radio eight forty w h AS seven oh five Here as we get this seven am hour started, and we are joined by L and PD spokesman Dwight Mitchell.
Speaker 2: Happy for Friday, sir, how are we doing well?
Speaker 3: Good morning, Nick? How are you, my friend?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great. It's Friday. We're feeling good. And uh, that's a good place to be. And I wanted to start with something that Chief Humphrey said yesterday in his press conference in regards to the issues currently with crimes involving juveniles. Rather than be those that are victims of these crimes or perpetrators of these crimes, and how they need, there's help us needed from parents. And I think that's an obvious thing, but I'm not sure many. And I'm just just me speaking me speaking for myself here, I'm not speaking for anybody else, But I think that you all could have the more resources than any law enforcement agency in the world. If there's not work done at home and there's not a better environment for kids, this is really never gonna stop. I mean again, I don't know that for certain, it can't prove it, but it just seems as if I think some people just want to throw blame towards well, they got it, they got somebod they got to curb the violence. They've got to find a way to fix this. And sure, obviously you want to keep people safe, but parents also must do their part, and clearly that is not happening in instances, and it's it's a huge factor here that I'm not sure many realize is really the root of this.
Speaker 4: Yes, Nick, I think you are echoing the sentiments of many people across the nation. And we're going to talk about Louisville, Kentucky because that's where we live and work. You know, it goes back to that saying that the hand the rocks the cradle rules the world, and that's generally the family that starts that out. And unfortunately, in some situations with some of our kids, some people are born into the world, some people are damned into the world. Well said, and you know, with the societal eels that we have, obviously some of these young people get caught up into the four square block that they may be living in and that may be their reality of what they're dealing with. And yes, in the perfect world, we want every parent to parent and do what we all do.
Speaker 3: I mean only by the grace of God.
Speaker 4: Go why because I had great parents and have great parents at this stage and it worked out for me. But there was some good parents that did good things and their kids still win a rise. So sure we have to understand that that everybody's not a reprobate parent in that sense, but by the same token, obviously with the rise and crime that we're seen, especially among our young people, especially in you know now thirteen fourteen, fifteen years old, going into adult situations where I think the other day we made an arrest on some young people that and I think one adult that had several guns and drugs that we had to take off of them. So, yes, this is a problem, but we have a lot of great kids that a lot of great things, But we cannot ignore what's happened.
Speaker 3: In our community and them being victims.
Speaker 4: Of the crimes and also perpetrators of it at the same time.
Speaker 1: And your experience, I would assume that kids not being in school with summer break, that's that's probably somewhat of a factor in the timing here, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know, you know, as much as sometimes we rail on JCPS a lot of times because you're hoping they.
Speaker 3: Get the educations what they go to school for.
Speaker 4: But also it's a safe place up for many of these young people for six or seven hours.
Speaker 1: Maybe the best aspect, the best environment for any of these kids.
Speaker 4: Some absolutely up for different reasons because they're in a controlled environment for the most part, and even though we have issues there, at least they're not being shot and killed. At least that's where we are at this point. That's where we hope it stays. But you know, JCPS may be responsible from door to door, but once you get back, I think you can even be convinced when you're in a good situation that things are good. But when you go back to your reality of what it really is, it's very difficult to navigate, especially when young people, because the coping mechanisms are not the same as yours.
Speaker 1: It's all about your environment, what you're exposed to and correct you you at a young age, you really it's not necessarily just about do you know right from wrong. It's just you may not be aware of your surroundings and sort of what it's doing to your to your mindset. And I think another part of this is just society. Kids are able to be exposed to things so much easier now, and I don't mean in a good way, but it's back in the day if you didn't know, you didn't have a device in front of your in front of your phone at all times, where you can see things on social media that maybe they may not lead you to to follow a life of crime, but you're just you're able to be exposed to it a lot earlier than than you used to be. And I think that's one of the things just from and I'm a parent myself, we kind of got into this staring the last conversation is that we're going to see as we move forward, because there are now young adults, even teenagers that didn't have what kids have the access to now in any moment and that can and have. We'll learn as we move forward in society, we're going to learn what kind of impact that had.
Speaker 4: Oh well, correct, and I believe you know we're in a situation now that we still have some good things going on. One of the things we have with the police department, with Metro government is the GBI, the Group Violence Intervention and some of the kids that were identified that may be headed in that direction, are in it. We're saying, hey, stop, rewind, press play. You got a chance to change your life because you're headed down a path that's going to lead to you either getting in trouble or your ultimate death. And that's just the cold heart reality of where we are.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Again, it's going to take everybody. Parents, is going to take the community. It's going to take churches if you're involved in that, or community centers or whatever set of values that you have that we can get you in a path or success, because we want everybody to experience the life that you and I have experience, absolutely and even better because every generation is supposed to get just a little bit better. And I think that's where we want to be uh with that. And yes, they are exposed to many things way too early in life, but it's also the reality we got to deal with.
Speaker 3: You can't dwell on the past.
Speaker 4: You know, because they're just well yeah, because just think about it, all your all your vital organs are pointing forward, your eyes, your nose, your lips. The only things behind you is some gas to your fault. Well said, I don't know if that's supposed to be for radio or not. But that's to come up with at seven eleven in the morning.
Speaker 2: Stuff.
Speaker 1: So there are parents that are trying. And as you said, and this is this is so true and probably should be said more is you can have the same upbringing, same environment, same culture, same type of parents, and and one kid may go a different direction than the other.
Speaker 2: That's just that's just life.
Speaker 1: But there are parents that that probably I mean, I think the notion is that, well, nobody's paying attention to their kids. I'm sure there are parents out there trying and it's hard. What do you guys see in your line of work as far as parents that that realize maybe you know, maybe their kid they need some help. There's resources to kind of maybe get them involved in things that just could keep them away from following down the wrong path.
Speaker 4: Well, one of the things the police Department has is the Power Program or Police Athletic League, where we have young people come in and there's all the type of things, not just only athletics that they're involved in, but we try to try to stimulate the holistic approach to life because there's many fast as everybody doesn't play sports. We try to give them some safe haven, some ways to say, hey, I know you want these things in life, and here's how you can get them. You don't have to beat somebody in the head over it, or you don't have to steal, rape, robb or do anything. Just good discipline of getting where you want to go. Because some people say hard work, and may be true, but a squirrel in a cage works hard, but not going anywhere. It all depends on working smart and getting to where you want to go. And four things I told my sons to do to stay out of poverty, and that's this. Go to school, get a job, get married, if you want to, have kids, if you want to If you do it in that order, the chances of you making it in this world great, not that if you do it out of that order that it won't be good. It just makes it that much more difficult. And that comes down to that big word. We'd like to use a lot choices, and they do have consequences, and consequences is not always bad. All consequences means is the result of something you do are choosing not to.
Speaker 1: Could result in maybe a learning experience that changes your life. There you go, that's such a good way to look at it. So you mentioned the program there. You know, my son is five, you just turn five. My daughters she's nine, and in this era of their lives as children and me as a parent, I realize how impressionable kids are at that age, to where just introducing a kid to a program like that or others in the community, because there are people that are trying to keep kids busy, even ones that don't play sports, because clearly they need something to occupy them. You never really know what that could do to a as far as that just really I mean again not to sound dramatic, but it could change the direction of their life because again, at that age, you're curious. You just doesn't take much to get your interest because you want to learn, and that could go a long way.
Speaker 4: Well, absolutely anytime, and I've said this many times, anytime I go to the hospital or see a newborn, when I go by in the nursery, I always bow because you never know who's in there and what they're going to become and what they're going to be. And it's something that doctor Benjamin May said years ago. He used to be the president of Morehouse College and was the mentor to doctor Martin Luther King and he said, the men at Morehouse, what we do. We put a crown above their heads and hope they grow tall enough to wear it someday. And that's what I think we want for all of our kids, to put a crown above their heads and hope they grow tall enough to wear it someday. And anytime any of us come into contact with young people, whether they're your niece and nephew, are just the kids you meet somewhere, you can say something positive, like you're doing something that you like to do and making some money doing it. How many people really get that opportunity in this life? Well said that, and I tell you who I got that from. Dick Bytowe once.
Speaker 3: Was doing it.
Speaker 4: Giv Yeah, he was doing a game here and I got to speak to him before a game and I said, what is it like?
Speaker 3: He said, off, submit to hers. What it's like?
Speaker 4: He said, I get to do what I like to do every day and make a lot of money doing it. And I said that just has stuck with me forever, and it couldn't come from anybody better than Dicky b No doubt.
Speaker 2: Good stuff.
Speaker 1: And look, I'm blessed beyond belief when it comes to my situation, certainly, and I try to remind myself of every day of that every day, but being reminded of it by others can certainly can certainly go a long way too. So good stuff is always. Appreciate your time, enjoy your weekend. You're gonna get out to the golf tournament.
Speaker 3: I won't be doing that. I have the grandsons.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's even better.
Speaker 4: You gonna do a little swimming and a little talking, and I'm gonna try to keep them straight.
Speaker 2: How bad good stuff sounds? Good? D White, thank you for your time.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get an update on traffic and weather, and then of course we've got sports coming you way before too long right here on news Ready eight forty WHAS.
Speaker 5: News radioh.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, John Shannon, it is seven thirty four here at Kentucky and his morning news with coffee and company on news Radio eight forty wha AS. Take us with you wherever you go. Listen live at WHAS dot com. You can also listen live on the iHeartRadio app. So Prime Days is wrapping up today, and I'm not surprised that that there's been a drop in sales, but I am shocked as far as how big of a drop they have seen at Amazon thus far.
Speaker 2: So Momentum Commerce.
Speaker 1: They are a company that provides insights into retail shopping and whatnot. And when I think of Amazon, I don't think retail. But clearly they've kind of put a lot of retail out of business. To be honest with you, But forty percent of a drop in sales on day one compared to last year, but they still expect overall growth.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 1: I mean, how can you make up from that? I mean, I feel like that could be totally wrong here. I'm just and oftentimes I'm wrong, believe it or not. I've probably been wrong a few times so far since we started this show. But forty percent of a drop on day one, to me, that's damaging so much. I just would assume that day one would be the day where most people are taking advantage of it.
Speaker 2: But you know, maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 5: That's why I was trying to get some of the deals that were out there today just they were deals, right, They're not deals, guy, Yes, they just call them deals. I mean, they're giving me twenty eight percent off an Apple Watch series ten twenty eight percent?
Speaker 2: I mean it's still three hundred and nine dollars, and that's to.
Speaker 1: Be fair to them, even if they are offering something that is legitimately at a discounted price substantially, even they're paying the price for just what the economy is in the in the in the lack of just extra funds to spend money on for a lot of people. So I don't want to blame it all on them, as if they're the ones out here just charging too much. Everything's more expensive now, and I don't, you know, everybody's situation is different. I try to remind myself at not to live in my own bubble and only see things through the way I live in my lifestyle, but i'd be I would be shocked if there hasn't been someone that is that is, basically those that are not in the elite wealth class, which is the majority of society. Surely, I don't know how what your lifestyle could be for you not to have noticed just what the economy is now. Some are dealing with it better than others, and what's considered tough times as far as just disposable income is a different world compared to those that maybe have never had any. So again, everybody's situation is different, but I think we are now at a point where the majority of society that is within different levels financially in lifestyle, they're noticing this.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you wouldn't be able to notice this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Again, you can deal with a better depending upon your situation, but this is this is hurting a lot of folks.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, if you're going to put items to your point, nick on and give me an Amazon deal and make such a big deal out of prime. For example, some of what they found at Wirecutter, which is a part of the New York Times, they go, look at this stuff, seventh generation dish. So the six pack goes for twenty one dollars in the street. Amazon's given it to you for fifteen. I mean deal, Yeah, you save money? Yeah, baby, sound machine sixty four dollars Amazon deal price fifty five Not enough to get me to take out the credit card and go I'd like.
Speaker 2: To have that, yep.
Speaker 1: I'm and you're now thinking about sort of long term because we haven't seen a whole lot of relief with with this. Stay heading in the right direction to where you would be a little bit more easy to justify an expense because you're hoping that financially things will get better now. Gas prices are cheaper now, and that certainly is something a lot of people pay attention to. But just I mean anything I feel like that is something that people either rely on or something that they would typically try to get to get something for themselves. I mean, really, everything is just more expensive, and this is I think is another sign as well. But in the first day, the really popular items were school and office supplies, which tells you that the people are using the prime deals to not get something for pleasure, for enjoyment. It's school supplies for their kids. I mean, that's that's got to be a big part of what that is.
Speaker 5: So you wonder if it doesn't it make you wonder if we're not longing for the traditional Black Friday. We used to have the race to the stores and you know, getting in that mess. For some people, that was a ritual. But man, those were some deals on Black Friday.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So my wife is she's she's very much into Black Friday, has been for a long time, and I just I could never deal with the madness. And you know, she's real big on saving money and and you know, she's someone and I'm glad she's this way she handles our finances. But you know, she she doesn't waste money on a whole lot of stuff. And also she really enjoys finding bargains and finding deals, which a lot of people do, ye, but she'll got her way to find it more so than others to where she would she would really emphasize, Okay, hey, I know I got all this stuff as I'm bringing, you know, seemingly hours long worth of back and forth from the car after she gets home. I'm exaggerating, But she loads up on Black Friday and gets most of the Christmas shopping done, gets things that we know we may need. But this past Black Friday was the first ones got where she mentioned some savings. But it was a real noticeable thing that what's considered savings is not only are the deals not as great as far as what you're saving, but what's considered to be a cheaper price doesn't really look like much of a cheaper price anymore.
Speaker 5: So the question becomes, as you mentioned, you know we're seeing a drop in Prime Day sales. Does Amazon make a change heading into the next Prime Day? Do we start to see more deals to get folks like you and I to break out that wall. I mean, I've seen deals where I'm like, I don't need that right now, But that deal right there is probably never going to come along again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And also I could be wrong here.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they have people that look into this and they make this decision based off of very good information. Amazon clearly knows what they're doing, but I think this thing loses a little bit of its luster when it becomes a three day thing and not a one day thing. Now, clearly you leave it open for more opportunities. So again, I'm sure, bottom line it's a better decision, but I think just the intrigue and the feeling of like, oh man, I got today's the day, Today's the day. Well, when you got three days and then you didn't buy anything day one, day two, and then you realize, yeah, I'm fine, I missed out on the first two days, and I don't have fomo, you know what I mean, I'm gonna save some money. So again, I'm sure they know what they're doing. But yeah, so far forty percent dropping sales on day one, and they still project that they'll make a lot of money and have an overall increase from last year, but we shall see. I'm going to pay attention because I'm interested to see if in fact they end up being wrong about that. But well, we will see. All right, let's get an update on traffic and weather. Bobby Ellis will tell us the latest as far as the roadways here in Kentucky, and we'll get Matt Melosa Bitch's latest forecast from WLKY, and we'll keep this thing rolling along. It is Coffee and Company Kentucky and is Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas. It is Kentucky and it's Morning News with Coffee and Company here on News Radio eight forty whas. So this story is probably one of the best things I've I've read this week, and it almost seems like something that you could that you could maybe make a move about. Maybe that's me getting dramatic and being a sucker for a good flick, but this is just awesome. So there is a non to one one hero here in Louisville whose name is Anthony Gore, and he's a Metro Safe None one one call taker and one of the calls he received recently was a frantic call from a father whose partner was in active labor and I suppose it was maybe not expected at that time, but the non one operator I was calm and gave step by step coaching that helped the father deliver the baby before paramedics arrived. So I mean, this is somebody that because you know, just their gig being a call taker, you never know what you're going to get when that phone rings, and he was able to clearly help a frantic and probably panicked soon to be father. I know if that was me, I don't care who you are, as the none to one operator, my anxiety probably would have gotten the best of me. I'm not sure I would. I probably would passed out, to be honest with you, but he guided him through.
Speaker 2: It, and then.
Speaker 1: The baby was born and it's a beautiful thing. And he spoke to WDRB and admitted that he cried tears of joy when it happened, when he heard the cry of the newborn, knowing that, like he went, I mean, that's that's a heavy thing. To be honest with you, it's something that you that you won't you won't forget. And I don't have any story quite like this, but if you're the mother or the father, the moment of childbirth. I think it is one you remember vividly, the sights, the sounds. I remember what I got out of the vending machine about thirty minutes before my daughter was born, and I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, And it's just because of what that day, what that experience is, it's deeply personal.
Speaker 2: It's powerful.
Speaker 1: And this nine one one call taker, mister Gore, he will be somebody that they remember forever, and they will, and who knows, maybe they don't strike up a relationship, and maybe they don't. Not to say that they that there's an expectation that they become close forever, but I don't know how the mother and father. Probably the father more than anything, when he thinks of going back in time when his child was born, he's gonna think of this person because they I mean, it's just like the nurse. I remember vivid details about both nurses that helped my wife when she was in labor, and that's just them doing their job. But also I don't know if they realize because it becomes routine for them. It's what they do every day, multiple times a day, a lot of times that they you know, for good or bad, they're gonna leave a lasting impression. And I don't know how many people get into what they do because of that. But if you didn't know that, again, don't take it for granted. And obviously, sometimes you know, maybe things don't go smoothly and you're just doing your job. And I'm sure there are experiences between nurse and mother to be and father to be that is not great. But this is certainly a beautiful story. And I tell you what this this gentleman, mister Gore. He was previously a prosecutor and left the courtroom to serve the city in a different way. And his late father was a police officer in a courtroom bailiff, which of course inspired his son, I guess, to get in that kind of career path as far as just helping the city and helping others.
Speaker 2: So what a what an awesome story.
Speaker 1: And again, I just feel like if you are somebody that is that is in healthcare, or maybe you're a none one one operator and you've been in that situation as well, I feel like it's pretty rare.
Speaker 2: But maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: That's when you think of the impact that people who take none when one calls have and just the people in healthcare certainly people we probably at times take for granted, but they can have an impact on you that sticks with you, and it can be and it could be for great reason.
Speaker 5: So I spend some time with the folks joint. Do yourself a favor. Go hang out with the folks from Louisville, Ms. Jody Maman runs a fantastic shop. And when you talk to these people and you get to know them, you just had Dwight Mitchell line. I've gotten to know Dwight over the years when you spend some time. Obviously, police, firefighters, they all go hand in hand.
Speaker 3: That's that. We know that.
Speaker 5: But I'm talking about ems, workers, doctors, nurses, the good folks that work just across the street from us. Nick are absolutely amazing people. They are cut from a different mold. They subscribe to a different mindset than most people do. And mister gall here is exceptional because you're exactly right. He's he's got that DNA in him where he just wants to help somebody and we are so.
Speaker 2: Boll's just how he's wired. I would assume that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And it's a nice reminder that those people out there, they're not doing it for to become you know, rich, right, they it's it's just not how they were how they were built essentially, and certainly it makes you realize the value of what it is that you do compared to others and not on you know, MS workers now in one call takers, those people, You're right, they don't come to mind quite as much as law enforcement or fire firefighters and whatnot. However, you know, just signing up to deal with what comes with when you pick up the phone or what you show up to see when you are when you're a first responder, I mean that's that's a call it yeah, and it's and it's something that you know is heavy. Yeah, that a lot of people myself would not probably be able to deal with. I mean maybe I would, but you know, there's a lot of stuff that you know, I realize now that I'm getting older and being exposed to other things and just you know, growing up, to be honest with just growing up has made me realize that, you know, I wasn't exposed to things that could have potentially had a negative impact on my life. And I don't think you can appreciate that until you a little bit older, but certainly appreciate those that do choose to follow these types of career paths because they're important, they're needed, and again, they don't do it to get rich, right, So good stuff. All right, We've got an update of traving the weather coming your way, and also we'll get another update on sports with Scott Fitzgerald. So keep in luck with us right here on News Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 6: That's what I love is well, keep busta yet.
Speaker 5: This report is sponsored by Rapid Radios Use Radio weight forty wights