Speaker 1: Hudson Riverradio dot Com.
Speaker 2: I work hard for the money, so hard for the money. Oh way, dumping dumping money. Come on, give me lot of money.
Speaker 3: How does Sasa Jonnithan Diasberry juice?
Speaker 4: Hey, this is Tom Chapin.
Speaker 5: Hello, just preaching in Rock and Roll History Show.
Speaker 3: You're listening right now.
Speaker 4: Hey, everybody, welcome back to the Rock and Roll History Show on Hudson River Radio. I'm Brian Horowitz. Tonight, we are gonna do a topic that comes up every once in a while. We're gonna check out some interesting covers of original tunes. And I'm always intrigued by the selections because it's always something that I'm not expecting. So I like these episodes and I'm looking forward to it. But as always, before we hop in, allow me to introduce all the crambones who are joining us here tonight. First and foremost, from the Richter Observatory, he says, you should never criticize someone until you walk a mile in their shoes, because then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes. L Richtor is back tonight.
Speaker 6: How you doing everybody good?
Speaker 4: Plan From in Paranormal Yours, she says the difference between a well dressed person on a bicycle and a poorly dressed person on a tricycle is a tire gale.
Speaker 3: Nucle is here, Oh.
Speaker 7: Wow, okay everybody.
Speaker 4: And from the silver screen she saw a Russian mule walk into a bar. The bartender says, hey, we have a drink named after you, and the mule says, you have a drink named Ivan.
Speaker 6: Yes, hey, everybody, I love that.
Speaker 4: Excellent. And last but not least, the host of shaving Cream she just found out that orcas are technically porpoises. They just do a killer whale impression revealed, Oh the groans. I love the groans.
Speaker 1: Very good, Brian.
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, so welcome back cram Bones. And like I said, I'm looking forward to hearing tonight's selections, and Neil, you're gonna kick us off.
Speaker 2: You know, just in general, the topic of covers and and and artists who do covers, it's really there's there's two schools of thought.
Speaker 3: I think. One is that.
Speaker 2: You you copy the song almost entirely verbatim, you know, and make it sound mainly in in bands that you know, like bar bands. Okay that and the other is where the school that I grew up in was that you would take a song and pretty much make it your own, be creative with it instead of just like, you know, doing it note for note. Yeah, and the board.
Speaker 4: Even when you look at orchestras, every orchestra that does a symphony does it. That's their interpretation of it's.
Speaker 2: Even if you're doing it. You know, if you're doing it, you know straight so to speak. You know, the each individual instrument or each person adds their own little thing to it. So it does give it a little more of a it's different. It makes it your own, you know. And I've always gone with that other than and there's nothing wrong with you know, technical ability, you know, being able to copy everything note for note. I'm not saying that that's a bad thing at all. I think a little a balance of both is the best way to go, is the way I'm thinking. I like creativity possibly a little better than technical superiority, but that's just me.
Speaker 3: But the song I've.
Speaker 2: Chosen for this topic today is called Heartbreak Hotel.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: It's a song that was originally recorded by Elvis Presley. I think everyone knows he's the king of rock and roll, and if you don't know, who Elvis was. I then, you know, I really don't.
Speaker 4: Go back to episode one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So suffice to say he was one of the most musically and culturally significant figures of the twentieth century. And his impact is still being felt today. And I think as of this taping, his birthday was just yesterday or the day before. So yeah, and people are still celebrating it now. Heartbreak Hotel was released as a single in January of nineteen fifty six, so that's seventy years ago, right, wow. And it was on the RCA label, to whom Presley had just recently signed with, and the record was an unqualified smash hit. It was Presley's first million seller and one of the best selling singles that year. It topped the Billboard Top one hundred for seven weeks, the Cash Bock Pop Single chart for six weeks, the Country Western chart for seventeen weeks, and it only reached number three on the R and B charts. Oh too bad guy only number three. It was eventually certified double platinum by the ri double A. Heartbreak Hotel was written by May Bourn Axton and Tommy Durden, and while Elvis isn't generally knows as a songwriter himself, thus making most of his songs covers. I guess he has given songwriting credit for Heartbreak Hotel, and I think that was kind of one of the conditions that he agreed to record it, as they put my name on the writing credit.
Speaker 4: That was the kernel that I appreciate it. That's why he didn't do I Will Always Love You when Dolly Parton. He wanted to do that, and Parker said, he gets half of the songwriter, and she said, you know.
Speaker 2: Go and crash, and Colonel Parker got half of what Elvis made.
Speaker 3: So yeah, there you go. Yeah, I wasn't going to go there, but yeah, it's all. It's all Colonel point.
Speaker 2: The song itself is a standard eight bar blues progression, and the recording contains the trademark rockabilly reverb that Elvis used on his earlier recordings on the Sun label. But now for the words. They were inspired by a newspaper article about a man who would jumped from a hotel window allegedly and left a note that simply said, I walk a lonely street. That's pretty grim stuff, particularly for nineteen fifty six and rock and roll. But let's fast forward about twenty years to nineteen seventy five, when Welsh musician and former Velvet Underground number John Kale beleased his cover.
Speaker 3: Version of Hartbreak Hotel and took it to a whole new level.
Speaker 8: Since my baby is left me, I found a new placed.
Speaker 9: At twelve.
Speaker 6: Down at the end of long.
Speaker 4: Street, Break Hotel.
Speaker 6: So long.
Speaker 8: Long love the baby, the bellhops, tears, keep long, the desk clouds dressed in black.
Speaker 4: They have been so long, long long this street.
Speaker 10: They never will get back.
Speaker 11: Cousin feeling so long, black baby, feeling something, feeling so long baby.
Speaker 8: So if you are bad.
Speaker 12: You and you have a take to town.
Speaker 9: We're just keeps.
Speaker 8: Take a lot down long straight.
Speaker 12: To halt Break Hotel where you could be.
Speaker 13: And could be, so.
Speaker 9: You could be so long.
Speaker 3: Could now? Is that right out of a horror movie?
Speaker 4: Or what is that's a Halloween song?
Speaker 3: That riff is just oh it just I think it's great.
Speaker 7: I love the backup singers. I like that better than the original. Thank you very much well.
Speaker 3: John Klee.
Speaker 2: He was born in Wales back in nineteen forty two. Again, he's a musician, composer and record producer and as I mentioned, earlier a founding member of the very influential American band The Velvet Underground along with Lou reed I appeared on their first two albums, I Believe the Velvet Underground. In his sixty plus year career, he has worked in various styles of rock and avarant guard music. His version of Heartbreak Hotel appears on his fifth solo LP called Slow Dazzle Again from nineteen seventy five. Kel's cover of Heartbreak Hotel was called one of the best cover songs ever recorded by music critic Ned Raggett and ok Ned. Over the years, Kel has released a slew of solo and collaborative albums, as well as producing records for the likes of Patty Smith, the LP Horses in particular, which just celebrated its fiftieth anniversary, the band Squeeze, and the Modern Lovers with Jonathan Richmond. He even worked as a talent scout for a while for Island Records. Kel also recorded a cover version of Leonard Cohen's song Hallelujah back in nineteen ninety one. Now, his version didn't get too much interest, but Jeff Buckley's cover, which used Cale's arrangement, it achieved quite a bit of popularity. John Kele was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the Velvet Underground nineteen ninety six, and as of this taping, at eighty three years old, he is still recording and performing new music. And yes, I did see him perform you were waiting for that one. I saw him in fact a number of occasions, mostly at CBGB's down in New York City in the late nineteen seventies, and his version of Heartbreak Hotel was always a highlight of the set. It always brought down the house, so to speak.
Speaker 3: So that's it. That's my cover for tonight.
Speaker 4: Excellent.
Speaker 6: It reminded me a little bit of Sounds of Silence that Gail did a while back.
Speaker 3: And I was disturbed.
Speaker 4: Disturbed, Yeah, David dream thinking the guy's name.
Speaker 6: Oh I did go to sea after hearing that song.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're legit. I would definitely go see that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's got that same kind of like existential dread hanging over it like.
Speaker 3: Like a shroud.
Speaker 4: You could have said that that was released this year and I would have believed that.
Speaker 1: It's still It kind of reminds me of the soundtrack to Queen of the Damned like Adopted Anne Rice. That's what it reminds me of.
Speaker 7: It actually reminds me a little bit of the American Horror Story season that was called Hotel.
Speaker 4: Hmm. Nice. I have a side note if I can go off on a tangent, because you mentioned you mentioned that the echo sound and.
Speaker 2: Elvis is originally that reverb sound.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that Sam Phillips came up with that. We talked about this long time ago. I'm not going to be the original or in Elvis's version, so you know, I'm not going to go through the whole story again. But Sam Phillips at Sun Records came up with that technique. It was called slap back echo, which he wound up using two reel to real tape machines to make an echo that didn't really exist. So it was one of the one of, if not the first, artificial echo reverb sounds. And RCA bought Elvis's contract from Sun Records, which is how we wound up over at RCA and they were trying to record Heartbreak Hotel and they couldn't figure out how to make that sound, so they went back to Sam Phillips and said, well, how do you get this? And he's, you know, basically said, you bought Elvis, she didn't buy my technique.
Speaker 3: So go scratch so that that that that sound is a st Yeah.
Speaker 4: But RCA could not figure out how to do it. They tried concrete rooms, they tried putting speakers at one end of a long hallway and microphones at the other, and they kept trying to figure out how Sam Phillips did it. They could not figure out how he made that sound for a long time. So heartbreak hotel Elvis's version. It's echo, but it's not slapback. It's not Sam Phillips. Sam Phillips' sound. It's different, you know. So give them props for trying, and props to Sam Phillips for telling them.
Speaker 2: Uh the record. The record did pretty well though.
Speaker 4: I know somehow we did well regardless, you know. So yeah, I love those stories, you know. On top of the song, I can just.
Speaker 6: Picture the two engineers running around the studio just for like days on end of no sleep, trying to figure out how to make that yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And now you can go buy a little box, you know, at a music store and plug your guitar and it sounds.
Speaker 4: Now, it's just a plug in on your computer and your software right right, you know, the amps come built in with it, with the modelers and all that. You don't even need a pedal anymore. So it's crazy. So that was awesome. Yeah, that was a That was a perfect lead off. But we're going to take a break and we have a lot more coming up, so stick around. We'll be right back, Hudson River Radio dot com. We could be worse. This concludes the first part of this cassette. Please turn the cassette over and begin again on side to Hudson River Radio dot com and welcome back. I know Gail that you're going to have something unusual and a deep cut for us.
Speaker 3: So what have you got?
Speaker 7: Neil's presentation is definitely a very hard act to follow.
Speaker 1: It always is.
Speaker 7: Yes, I just kind of picked a song that I liked that I never knew there was a cover of, and the cover isn't all that different from the original. I chose Walking with a Ghost, which the original was by Tegan and Sarah. They're a pair of Canadian sisters.
Speaker 6: Love that song and.
Speaker 7: They when they performed it. It came out in two thousand and four, now. Sarah wrote the song while living in Montreal, and she said, it's kind of a cheesy metaphor for walking around the city feeling like the person I wanted to date was hanging out with me, but they weren't. Some would call it an imaginary friend. I call it a ghost. Many years later, in two thousand and sixteen six twenty sixteen, Tagan and Sarah appeared on the parody talk show Comedy Bang Bang, which I've never heard of.
Speaker 4: Maybe it really Yes, Shocker Barber knows a content.
Speaker 7: And she explained jokingly on that show that the ghost in question was slimer from the Ghostbuster's French. Why not so the cover that I didn't know about until I was digging around deciding on a choice for this episode. The cover was by the White Stripes the year after that, in two thousand and five on an EP and it's it doesn't sound that much different from the original to me, It's got a little bit of an edge to it. One review of White Stripes cover of this stated, this genial cover sounds singularly unpersuasive, a performance unlikely to challenge anyone's previously held opinions about The Stripes Chigan and Sarah walking or ghosts so I guess they weren't impressed.
Speaker 4: But I just like the song.
Speaker 7: It's cute, so let's.
Speaker 3: Hear it now.
Speaker 5: Man, let's way you go. No man, you stay of my mind, out of mind, out of my mind, out of my mind.
Speaker 14: I was fucking with the ghast.
Speaker 5: I sat.
Speaker 9: Noting, said the mon shaye goat, you mouth sway steady, out of my mind, out of mynd, out of my mind, out of my mind. I was fucking the coast.
Speaker 7: Un set.
Speaker 5: Said that's fucking go. I said, please, don't sest. I was fucking with the ghast.
Speaker 14: Sai, no chest, no moth sway, your.
Speaker 9: Mother sway, shade, out of my mind, out of my mind, out of my mind, out of my mind.
Speaker 5: I was smoking with the ghost. I said, don't exist.
Speaker 14: I was walking with the ghost. I sest, no chest nor mother sway.
Speaker 5: But anyway.
Speaker 6: With me, I like the original.
Speaker 4: I love I do too.
Speaker 6: I find so much softer with the female voices. I just spookier.
Speaker 7: And they they did acoustic guitar apparently, and Jack White did electure. But with me, for the longest time, it was misheard lyrics because when they say please, don't insist. I thought they were singing please don't Exist, which.
Speaker 5: Gives a whole.
Speaker 3: Way right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so yeah, I I do prefer like Mercedes does the Chigan and Sarah version. But I thought this was interesting. And apparently when this came out the year after Tigan and Sarah's came out, it reflected on them and brought them to the forefront after White Stripes covered it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess yeah, because White Stripes were already pretty munch established by by then. I mean, and you said, yeah, the difference between the electric and acoustic guitar he does. He gets some interesting sounds out of that guitar. And I have to I have to say, I I think Meg White is like one of the best rock and roll drummers ever. There I said it because nothing fancy. She says, boom boo boo.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's all you need, you don't need anymore. And that's what she does. And I'm glad they're in the rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He has an interesting voice too, that's yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've yeah, I've seen him, and he's got a wonderful reputation. Everybody that works with him loves him. And you know, I get it.
Speaker 2: We just Mercedes and I just saw him over the last Fall and I had never seen him before, and I was like, wow, he does know what he's doing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, jealous of men that can sing higher than me.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you, Gail. Moving on, Barbara, what have you got for us?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well for my song choice, I am first going to take us back to nineteen thirty eight. Mister Walt Disney was feeling nostalgic about remembering stories he had heard during his childhood, in particular the Uncle Remus stories by Joel Chandler Harris. Disney wanted to put those stories to film. He had this idea, but after World War Two, the Disney Studios experienced some financial difficulty due to the lack of foreign markets during wartime, and that plus a union strike in nineteen forty one, led Disney to consider adding live action films to its current lineup of animated films for which they were contracted. In nineteen thirty nine, Disney purchased the rights to the Uncle Remas stories from author Harris's family and began to develop a screenplay. Disney also traveled to the author's Georgia home. The following year in the hopes of getting what he called an authentic feeling of Uncle Remus country in order to present a faithful story adaptation. In nineteen forty four, filming finally began, and the studio ended up combining animation with live action, although at the start they were leaning towards having it entirely animated. Disney hired professional Righte Dalton Raymond to write the screenplay. Raymond, being a native Southerner, produced an outline which contains some terminology that the studio demanded be removed, such as characters referring to Remis as an old darkie and referring to white characters as massa. The film Song of the South ended up being the only screenplay that Raymond would write. Since its nineteen forty sixth release, the film has been associated with controversy as critics have been characterizing its portrayal of African Americans and plantation life as racist. This has resulted in the film never having been released on home video or streaming platforms. However, the film's featured song, Zippidy DooDah, won the nineteen forty seven Academy Award for Best Original Song, and the actor who portrayed Uncle Remus. James Basket received an Academy Honorary Award for his performance. So I'm sure most of us are familiar with the song of the South version of Zippity Doo Dah. But now let's flash forward from nineteen forty six to nineteen sixty two and listen to the song as recorded.
Speaker 5: By Bobby Socks and the Blue Jeans.
Speaker 4: Zip one Bo.
Speaker 15: Well, ma, stop, well, no, absolute, every thing's gonna be.
Speaker 9: Somebody do syby what wonder old.
Speaker 10: Oh mas.
Speaker 14: Sover love.
Speaker 5: Fuck no thanks Na beginn.
Speaker 14: S body, dude, what the fuck.
Speaker 9: Wonder?
Speaker 14: What the fuck.
Speaker 9: Wonderful?
Speaker 14: What the fuck.
Speaker 15: Okay?
Speaker 1: So, Bob the Socks and the Blue Jeans were in early nineteen sixties vote group produced by Phil Spector that featured lead vocals by Bobby Sheen, who adopted the stage name of Bob b Socks and the Blue Jeans, which consisted of Darlene Love and Fanita James Nice. I probably don't have to really tell you who they are. Both Darlene and Fanita were also members of the girl group The Blossoms. Sheen was the official group leader, but after the release of Zippity DooDah, Specter either had Sheen and Love share lead vocal duties or used Love as the primary vocalist. The only official album the group recorded was, in fact, Zippity DooDah, although Spector did produce a Christmas album in nineteen sixty three called A Christmas Gift for You from Phil Spector, where Sheen was credited as lead vocalists and Love appears as a solo artist.
Speaker 6: And that's credited with something that's amazing.
Speaker 1: I actually I actually follow her on Facebook, Darlene Love.
Speaker 15: Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she is so kind and so lovely. She I recommend her Facebook page.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we saw it. We've seen her many times. But one time they brought us backstage because my daughter was young enough and we got pictures and she was an absolute sweetheart with my daughter. And her husband is so low key, the complete opposite of her, Like he's quiet one one syllable answers and all that, but the nicest guy to talk to. So I'm wondering when you listen to that, because it is a Phil Spector thing, and he did do a lot of studio magic, as crazy as he was. It sounds like it was recorded at a higher speed and played back slower and they sung over a slower tape.
Speaker 3: I can hear that. I can hear what you're saying. Yeah, So I while it was.
Speaker 4: Playing, I'm furiously looking stuff up. I couldn't find anything to back that up.
Speaker 1: But I find anything either. When I was researching it. I was trying to find, you know, little details and things like that, but I didn't find anything like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm wondering if that's just you know, in the toolbox, something that he did and it just wasn't discussed or thought about. So cool, so cool, Thank you, Barbara.
Speaker 6: Big Big, Jim and I interviewed Darlene Love Yeah.
Speaker 4: Years ago at the old station from where I pilfered you many years ago.
Speaker 6: She was amazing and my daughter's band, New Myths. The drummer from New Myths plays the Christmas shows with Darlene every year.
Speaker 4: Nice oh nice and her on again off against saxophone player depending on the band is in the tokens and his friends with other I mean, I've known him now through other hosts from here a Hudson River Radio. Everything ties together, yep, which is why I try to be nice to everybody, because you never know when it's gonna come back exactly. So, yeah, especially in the music world, do you get you know, if the circles are smaller than you might think, and everybody knows somebody that knows somebody.
Speaker 6: And it's best to keep them all on your side.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean, just be nice and general, but you know, especially if that's your livelihood, something to keep in mind. So all right, thanks Bob. We're gonna take a real quick break and we have two more coming up, so stick around Hudson Riverradio dot com.
Speaker 3: This is Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 4: All right, we're down to our final two. Mercedes, you're up.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 6: So I did things a little differently for the show. I didn't really follow the directions, even though I was the one that suggested that, I know, I'm such a rebel.
Speaker 3: You make the rules, you break the rules. That's it.
Speaker 6: I took a song that I think a lot of people know and went back to find the very first version. And this happened because, having nothing to do with this show, I had come across an early version of this song. It was pretty excited, but color me surprise when I found there was an even earlier version. And I suggest that you grab a pencil to keep notes because yes, it gets complicated. So my song for this show is titled Stranded in the Jungle and it was made famous most recently by The New York Dolls in nineteen seventy four. It was released on their second album and was the album's first single release. When The New York Dolls began work on this album with producer George Shadow Morton, they weren't prepared with enough songs, so the band the band added oldies in with their originals, and the band was already a fan of Morton from his work with the Shangri Las. He was famous for writing Remember Walking in the Sand and Leader of the Pack for the girl group. Martin's sixties soul aesthetic blended seamlessly with the New York Dolls heavy sound. The song features singer David Johansson using character voices while backed by female dooop vocalists. It didn't do well commercially. Be commercially, it became a cult album and cemented the New York Dolls legacy as a proto punk and glam band. The Dolls were pivotal to the development of punk rock in the UK with the Sex Pistols, The Clash and the Damned and kiss Aarrasmith and Guns and Roses have cited the New York Dolls as primary influences, not to mention the glam hard rock movement in general, which includes Twisted Sister, Motley, Crue, Poison, on and on. About the song, music critic Robert Christigau says, on Stranded in the Jungle, David Johansson alternates between a comical reject and a lecherous man at lovers Lane. I was surprised to find that the song was a cover of The Cadets, originally the Jacks if you're keeping score, their nineteen fifty six hit. I'd always thought it was an original by the Dolls, but I also felt it was a weird song for them to do, And when I dug a little deeper, I found the Cadets song was not even the original. The original original was by the Jayhawks from nineteen fifty six, same year as the Cadets version, and a version by the Gadabouts was released a few weeks later, and that one peaked at number thirty nine. The Jayhawks version went to number eighteen. They had another hit with the song the Watusi in nineteen sixty one, and also had a hit at the same time with Peanut Butter under the name The Marathons, which is a really good song if you get a chance to look it up. The Marathons had another hit with a rewritten version by the name of Hully Gully, originally by the Olympics, which was covered by The Beach Boys, Chubby Checker, the Searchers, the Jay Giles Band, which I could not find on YouTube, and more. Back in the forties and fifties, bands covered and released other people's band song all the time, often reinterpreting older blues, R and B and country hits, turning them into new pop sensations. Many new music genres were emerging at that time. The Marathons, remember previously. The Jayhawks also released a song titled My Girl Sloopy in nineteen sixty four, which reached number twenty six and was later covered by the McCoy's as hang On Sloopy, which was a number one hit for them. Incidentally, it became one of the first songs recorded by the Yardbirds with guitarist Jeff Beck. Side note, the inspiration for hang On Sloopy was most likely inspired by Dorothy Sloop, a jazz singer from Steubenville, Ohio. Her nickname was Sloopy. Okay, so back to the song Stranded in the Juggle if you've lost track where we are or what we're talking about. The Jayhawks were an American doo wop group and the song was written by Ernestine's Myth and the band's first tenor, James Johnson. So today we're gonna hear the Jay Hawkins version of Stranded in the Jungle.
Speaker 16: I crashed in the jungle while trying to keep my date with my little girl, who was back in the States. I was spending in the jungle of grade alone, trying to figure a way to get a message back home. But how was I to know that the regulam I'm playing having big Father father at my girl loves name.
Speaker 10: Meanwhile, back in the States, BOMR.
Speaker 9: All time and I got a jazz.
Speaker 10: Come up baby.
Speaker 13: Meanwhile, back in the jungle, the boys and the Jungle had me on the run, or something heavy hit me, like in Atomic Call.
Speaker 16: When I woke up, my head started clear and I had a strange feeling. I was with cooking gear. I smelled something cooking and I looked to see. That's when I found out they was cooking.
Speaker 10: Me meanwhile back in the state time standing in the jungle.
Speaker 16: Standing meanwhile, back in the jungle, I jumped out the pots and I finally got away, frantic with worry. When the web, my baby would say, So, I jumped in a potion and started to swim, while my chance of the Bible getting mighty slimp. So I thumb not away. I was head my way and I reached the stats, and I have a day. When I got the level lanes, I was almost sins, but I so was gone. Here's what I said, baby, baby, that man is all gone.
Speaker 5: Oh, baby, baby, you should have understood. You can't trust me as long as I free. So come back, Grady, maybe where you used to be. Because I love you, Because I love you. I love that version.
Speaker 6: I think it's great. Supposedly in this version, a telephone can be heard ringing in the background. I I have not heard it, so I don't know as far as the meaning. I don't think I really have to explain anything. A guy stranded in the jungle while he's supposed to be on a date with his girl in Lover's Lane.
Speaker 2: Why is he in the which happens all the time doesn't.
Speaker 4: Albuquerque very inconvenient.
Speaker 6: So back in the state, the mother guy is creeping on his woman. The boys in the jungle catch the jungle guy and start to put him on a pot to cook them. He escapes and catches a ride on a whale, as one does. He gets back in half a day. Half a day, I don't know where this jungle is pretty close, he gets, yeah, and when when he gets back to lover's lane, his girl has gone off with the other guy.
Speaker 3: Is that right though?
Speaker 6: Is that the right ending? I've heard so many versions of it, and I swear sometimes she's still there.
Speaker 4: And you know what, even if she did or didn't, good riddance for entertaining the thought. You don't need that, that's true.
Speaker 6: I don't need that negativity in.
Speaker 4: Her life, his life. Yeah, right, right, right right.
Speaker 6: So something that I thought was super cute that came up when I was researching under the YouTube video was three comments. These three comments, for the record, the original writer of this song is my mother, Ernestine Smith, which I thought was really cute, and then it says rip mommy. And next one was my grandfather was in this group, Cleo White, And the other one was my aunt co wrote the song. I just think that was really cute. It was very touching when.
Speaker 1: I love reading YouTube comments.
Speaker 4: I know, I know me too. That's cool.
Speaker 12: So that's it.
Speaker 6: And you know, Brian and I were talking about the Cadutch version, which I really like that version.
Speaker 4: Also it's more polished. The baritone voice is a little more natural, I think, yeah, for sure, but they're both.
Speaker 6: It's really this book's really raw. Yeah, obviously early stuff. And I just think that's really cool.
Speaker 4: That's awesome, and it's cool. You know, that was a time when a song was published, which is going to lead into mind, a song was published and anybody, if you paid for it, you can put it out, which you can still do today, you know, depending on who owns it, which that's a whole nother story. But back then, the song would be published and then you just pay for it and you can put it out, and you would see multiple versions of the same song by a whole bunch of different groups, all coming out at the same time.
Speaker 6: I mean, in this one, three of them, three of the versions came out of the same year, within months of each other. Yeah, which is wild. Now you wouldn't think of that, you.
Speaker 4: Guess what happens with my pick that we're going to talk about.
Speaker 6: Well, I apologize for not doing following the rules, but I just I had a great time to Well.
Speaker 4: Also, guess what I did, by complete coincidence, I did the exact same thing you did.
Speaker 12: You did.
Speaker 4: I went backwards to the original I did so great minds I know, and us too. So yeah, all right, So we talked about Fats Domino. It's been a long time, but we talked about Fats Domino. While ago a home body of New Orleans, didn't really like the tour, loved the food, New Orleans didn't want to leave it, had problems when he you know, when New Orleans got flooded out during the hurricane and all that. But his biggest hit is one I don't remember if we talked about his version of this. It was his biggest hit. It has become a rock and roll standard, Blueberry Hill in nineteen fifty six. I don't remember if this was the song we talked about. I think we did. But okay, Rolling Stone ranked at number eighty two of the five hundred Greatest Songs of All Time. Anytime you see a list like this, I'm like, okay, whatever, But you know, it does show its historical significance as a song in rock history. But obviously, since we're talking about it here, his was a cover. His was the cover of the original. So I went all the way back to the beginning. The music for Blueberry Hill was composed by Vincent Rose. But you're gonna need a pencil, same thing with Mercedes, all right, So write this down. Keep writing, yeah, keep writing. So the music was composed by Vincent Rose born Vincenzo Cacciopo, a bandleader, composer, piano player, violinist who was born in Italy and moved to New York City. He was born back in eighteen eighty died in nineteen forty four, and wrote over two hundred songs for RCA, Columbia and other labels. The lyrics for Blueberry Hill were written by Larry Stock and al Lewis. Larry Stock was born Lazarus Goldberger in eighteen ninety six in Manhattan. At age twelve, he was accepted into the Institute of Musical Art in New York City, which would later be renamed the Juilliards School, which may sound familiar, So that's pretty good. Age twelve he graduated. Yeah, he graduated at sixteen and continued to study music and piano afterwards. This was during the Great Depression, so not many people could afford to go out to the big formal concerts, so Larry made ends meet by playing nightclubs and writing songs during his own downtime. He died in nineteen eighty four, so he got to see a lot of rock and roll history come al Lewis, not Grandpa Lewis from the Monster's a different al Lewis because I know what he neo was chopping at the ben and barber, But no different al Lewis. He was born in nineteen oh one and spent most of his career writing lyrics in tin pan Alley. His other big hit was co writing Tears on My Pillow, made a big hit by Little Anthony in the Imperials. He died in nineteen sixty seven, so he also got to see a lot of rock and roll come about. They all wrote so many songs that have just been forgotten in his history, and so many of them now are in the public domain. So we're talking about covers. There's so much good stuff out there if you can put the time into digging them up and do it for free. Now you don't have to pay for them anymore. Make your own versions. So get to work, everybody, those of you looking for that next hit. It's out there, it's already written. You just got to go find it. So Blueberry Hill was first published in nineteen forty by Chapel and Company, which was a British music publisher and piano manufacturer. Believe it or not, they sold off the piano manufacturing side to focus solely on music publishing, probably because it's easier to move sheet music than pianos. Having done both, they started in eighteen eleven when sheet music was the thing. There were no recordings back then, but they created such a good reputation for themselves that a composer by the name of Ludwig von Beethoven inquired about them publishing of his pieces. That's how far back we're going. And they were still in existence at this point. Chapel was ultimately brought out by Warner Music Group, which just ruins everything in nineteen eighty seven for two hundred million dollars. Not too bad. So as soon as Blueberry Hill was published, a whole bunch of different artists jumped all over it. They knew it was going to be a hit. The Glenn Miller Orchestra made a recording of it. They missed putting out the first recording by thirteen days, but it still became a hit. We never talked about Glenn Miller, have we. That's a good story. Yeah, he got lost at sea during World War two. Yeah, so yeah, yeah, there's a good story there. Louis Armstrong did it. Elvis did a version, Little Richard did a version. Jerry Lee Lewis did a version. Kuntless international groups did versions of it around the world. Fats Domino was the one who made it the definitive version, but he was not the first. The first recording of Blueberry Hill was recorded in nineteen forty, right after it was published by a very popular bandleader named Sammy Kay. Swing and sway with Sammy Kay. That was his trademark, kind of catchphrase, so swinging and swaying. He was born samuelke Zarnik or zarn Ok, I'm not really sure, but he shortened it to Sammy Kay. He was born in Lakewood, Ohio, in nineteen ten. He studied saxophone and clarinet at Ohio University, but he never played as a feature artist himself. He was all about putting the bands together and being the director and doing all that kind of stuff. He also had a big string of hits, including a song titled Remember Pearl Harbor, which they recorded ten days after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. He would also do an audience participation thing, inviting an audience member to come up and try to conduct the swing and Sway band, and then that audience member got to keep the baton that they were trying to conduct the band with. I'm hoping the band didn't really pay too much attention to the conductor because that would be a train run.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's like a rolling Stones guitar pick.
Speaker 4: I have nice. Yeah I can't prove it, but yeah, it's okay. It's cool to have. And you know the story. So Sammy Kay died in nineteen eighty seven in Ridgewood, New Jersey, not far from here. I played in the Ridgewood Symphony, So I'm there. I don't know where his house is, but I'm going to start knocking on doors and see did Sammy Kay live here?
Speaker 3: Get out of here.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about. So this is the first recording of Blueberry Hill from May thirty first, nineteen forty The Sammy Kay Orchestra with vocals by Tommy Ryan. Tommy Ryan was born Are you writing all these down? Okay? All right? So Tommy Ryan was born Nathan Levine in nineteen twenty one. Could not sound more Jewish, which is why he changed it to Tommy Ryan, which could be none more generic, which is exactly why he did it. He played guitar and sang in big bands. He sang on Broadway. He would wind up leaving show business because he wanted to chase the money. He opened restaurants, He got into rare coin dealer ships kind of stuff. He bought race horses. He died in two thousand and seven, so he was around for a long time. So let's play Blueberry Hill by Sammy k. The first minute or so is just an instrumental and listening to it, all I can picture is back when everybody used to dress formal, no matter what you did. The suit and tie, the fancy dresses and carrying the picnic basket and walking up a hill. That's all I can imagine when you're listening to this first minute or so, So let me play it. Tell me what you think let's.
Speaker 3: Check it out.
Speaker 12: On Blueberry A beautiful picture in these words by Tommy Ryan.
Speaker 3: I found my triad.
Speaker 12: On Blueberry Hell, on Blueberry here.
Speaker 10: When I found you.
Speaker 17: The moon stood stand.
Speaker 3: On blueberry.
Speaker 12: And lingered until my dreams came true.
Speaker 17: The wind in the willow play love sweet mellowed.
Speaker 9: But all of those bars we made were.
Speaker 12: Never to be.
Speaker 17: The will upon. You're part of me still, for you were my true on Blueberry Hell.
Speaker 4: Slightly different take than Fat Phenomena did a.
Speaker 7: Few years later, right, This was much more innocent.
Speaker 4: Right, But it was sixteen years apart, and Fats Nomenal dug back and did a cover of an old standard. And I'm saying, you know, the opportunity is still there. Every year, more and more stuff goes into the public domain. So now we go from talking about picnics to what Fats Domino is talking about. You could do that with a whole lot.
Speaker 6: Of different songs, you know, Are you telling me there are two different things.
Speaker 4: No, I'm implying there are two different things to do with that what you will?
Speaker 3: So there you go?
Speaker 4: All right, that does it. That's all I've got. I think this was awesome. Yeah, we always go across the whole spectrum, new to old, you know, all the different styles. That's what I like doing these kind of things. Yeah, it keeps it interesting, very cool. All right, any final thoughts before we pull the plug here.
Speaker 1: All right, it's one of my favorite topics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh this could be be visited, you know, yeah, over and over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it pops up every once in a while. Yeah, it's worth it. Yeah, and this is one of those rare weeks where we know what we're doing next week. I just mention Ludwig von Beethoven, So we're actually gonna talk about Beethoven next week. But I promise it won't be painful. It's okay, a little culture won't kill you.
Speaker 6: It'll be fun.
Speaker 4: It'll be fun.
Speaker 3: It'll be fun, all right.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Crambones, excellent selections. As always, thank you all for joining us for the Rock and Roll History Show. Don't forget to subscribe in your favorite app and check out all the other shows we do here. We have something for everybody. We'll see you next week with another brand new episode. Until then, be safe, have fun, everyone, and peace out.
Speaker 10: Come a rock cop bottomed cram
Speaker 4: Okay, Bye bye, Hudson River Radio Dot com, a subsidiary of Glacier Entertainment LLC, potentially successful its multi hundred dollars corporation