Speaker 1: Welcome back to part two of our series about the unexplained death and murder of k Hall. The last time we left off, Jules was kind of having some doubt here about whether or not Bob could have killed k. But now I'm going to share some new information that casts Bob into a very suspicious light once again. So in December of nineteen eighty eight, a very bizarre incident took place where Bob suddenly decided to call up Special Agent Riley and said that he wanted to have a meeting because he quote unquote wanted a Christmas present, which is a very weird thing to say. It turned out that Bob had started a relationship with another woman, and he actually told Riley, I hope that this case can be solved by Christmas so that I can finally put this behind me and I can start my new relationship with this other woman and move on with my life. But of course, Riley said to Bob that I think you are the only logical suspect here, So how am I going to solve this case if you were the one who did it. So Bob proposed this scenario where the newspapers would publish a story stating that Kay's death was an accident and this might prompt the killer to come forward and admit to what they did. And then Bob then said that hypothetically, if I was the killer and I needed motivation to come forward, I would have some terms, which would include a legal document from the Commonwealth Attorney which declared Kay's death to be an accident and guaranteed no charges or consequences for anyone who confessed to the crime. So Riley got the sense here that Bob may have been trying to make a confession, but he was trying to get assurance is that there wouldn't be any consequences for it. So it's kind of a weird thing where Bob is tired of the pressure. He wants the case to be closed, so he thinks that if I confess to it, then I will get off scott free. But you killed your wife, so obviously that's not going to happen.
Speaker 2: Okay. This totally reminds me. I've got this friend who's got two kids and they're really close in age, a boy and a girl, and if she's trying to figure out who did something bad, like, for example, there was a cookie jar and it was smashed, and obviously one of them had tried to go up on the counter and like get a cookie out of the jar with their little hands. They weren't able to do, so jar smashes on the ground. And now you've got two people, two little people. Neither of them are copping to what happened. So they would separate them. Both parents would separate them, and then they would ask each one what do you think should happen to the guilty party? So, whoever did this, what should happen to them? And then you'd have one say, well, they should be grounded or you know, a week or whatever, and then the other one should say, well, I think that they should be forgiven because knowing what they did is punishment enough. And so you would always know who the guilty party is because they would say that whomever did this should have a very lenient sentence. And I think that applies to Bob here, because you've got Bob coming forward and being like if I did it, like okay, call back to OJ Simpson here, if I did it, I would require these things and basically it would absolve him of all legal responsibility and so it would just be closure or resolution in the sense that you would know who did it, but you wouldn't have any legal recourse. It sounds ridiculous, and I'm sorry you want a Christmas present Like you're trying to solve the potential murder of your wife. Kay. You should want that solved because you love her and you want justice for her, not because you want a Christmas present to embark on your new life with your new partner. It's just really weird.
Speaker 1: It is like, I've never heard of anything like this in a murder case before, and I think he made the perfect analogy. That's what I thought of. It sounds like kids like who have done some minor indiscretion like stealing a cookie, and they think they're going to get in trouble, but they're trying to gauge in there to see, well, I'll admit what I did just as long as I receive assurances that I'm not punished quite badly. But here you have a grown man who's under suspicion for the murder of his wife and he's acting like a kid who stole something from the cookie jar. And it's like, I think Special Agent Riley is thinking we're adults here, Like this is ridiculous. We should not be doing this in a murder case. But he decided to go along with him because he thought, if I string Bob along, maybe I can finally convince him to give a confession. So what happened is Riley asked, if I went out and got such a document and put Bob Paul's name on it, then when you like to see it, and Bob replied, quote before Christmas. And the next part is so strange that I have to read an exact word for word excerpt from an official decision that I found online from the Virginia Court of Appeals because this is just so bizarre. So here's the exact quote. Quote. Hall told Riley that if Riley really wanted to make it tempting as hell to me, he should call Hall's attorney to inquire if Hall could still collect under the uninsured motorist provisions of his automobile insurance if he had accidentally killed his wife. End quote. So yes, it sounds like he was literally inquiring, if I killed my wife, can I still collect on the insurance money from her death?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What the hell? Whoa Bob?
Speaker 2: I mean? Any sort of good will that he had which wasn't goodwill for Bob as a person. It was just goodwill. From the logistics point of view, it seems so difficult that he could have done this, But his behavior, his subsequent behavior after the fact, the way he's acting is very like Jewel Kaylor esque and I'm not here for it. And I think that when you're inquiring if you did it, could you still collect on that insurance? That is so bold, don't you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't think of another case like this where a suspect has been so brazen. I mean, it's one thing to try to admit to your spouse's death and not receive any punishment, but the idea that you're trying to arrange a plea deal of some sort where you will financially profit, Like, my god, did you actually think this was gonna work?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess who knows what goes through his mind. We don't think he's got a formal education, and based on the way that he's acted, he seems like he's a little bit maybe potentially emotionally stunted. So he's thinking like that whole thing with I want a Christmas present. The way that he's interacting and communicating with law enforcement. It feels juvenile, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: It does. Yeah, Like he's sounding like a kid who's been taught stealing from the cookie jar. Like I've seen some terrible suspects in murder investigation, but I can't think of any other examples where the suspect has been brazen enough to do.
Speaker 2: This and like say less. If you did indeed kill your wife, then just say less. Don't go to the authorities, don't ask for a Christmas present, don't propose some bizarre scenario where they put out this thing in the paper and say that it was an accident, and then you get some letter from you know, legal letters saying that you're not going to be held responsible if you did it. That's what you'd need, I mean seriously, like you need to say less if you are indeed responsible, and wait until they come to you and then have a go through your attorney. I think that at the time there was a lot less knowledge of how one should behave when being confronted with the authorities accusing you, whether you're guilty or not. So at the time there was you know less of that information floating around that like whether you're guilty or not, you need to have an attorney to protect yourself and protect your rights. And we've got Bob out here just making the weirdest, most odd moves that I've seen, and I can't think of any other case that parallels this.
Speaker 1: It might be a thing where he just didn't understand how the legal process works, because he may have been thinking, well, if I kill Kay and there's no evidence against me, then the whole thing will just go away, and maybe not been aware that this is an active investigation, like they will not close it until it's solved. Then they arrest his suspect, and he's probably thinking to himself that everyone would just move on. But here he is in the community where it's no big secret that he was accused of domestic violence. There were problems in the marriage, so he's probably feeling like he's a pariah or something like that. But he just wants to move on and marry this new woman and thinks that, well, if I come here and make this quasi confession and don't get punished, they will put this behind us. But he isn't aware that, no, that's not how the legal system and murder investigations work.
Speaker 2: Bob needs some closure from the trauma of either killing his wife or being accused of killing his wife, and so that's why he's going so it will get neatly wrapped up into this little bow and filed away and then people will stop talking about it. But again, that's just such a juvenile expectation of the way that criminal proceedings of any kind would work.
Speaker 1: I mean, he has served time in prison for drug dealing, so he's not naive. He knows that if you commit a crime, you get punished in no matter if you admit to it or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe he was feeling guilty and so he just and not guilty enough that he was going to come forward and take responsibility for what he did, but guilty enough that he needed to know that nobody thought that he did it, or that somebody couldn't come after him at a later date. Because I can imagine if you're somebody that did commit murder, and even if you're not charged and you think you likely got away with it, it will like be this like brainworm where it's going to like eat away at you, wondering if one day they're going to knock on your door and they're going to charge you with that crime. I can't imagine you would ever get a full night sleep unless somebody he doesn't have the typical emotional bandwidth that a normal person does and they don't feel things the same way, and so they're able to deal with that stress or they don't even experience the stress. But it doesn't sound like that's Bob.
Speaker 1: No, definitely not like someone like Juwel Kaylor is someone that I feel like feels that he has gotten away with it, that no one will ever find his missing wife's body, so he will never get arrested. So that's why he's willing to go on national TV and like practically act so nonchalant about it, Whereas Bob is probably a lot more paranoid and has that feeling that one of these days they're going to come over and arrest me. So that's why he's wanting to get this huge burn office shoulders and hope that he can get away with it without any punishment. So this even gets weirder, believe it or not, because, like I said, agent Riley was going along with this, so he decided to give up this fake document where he was writing out the conditions of this hypothetical plea deal, which would include no criminal prosecution, no loss of Bob's driver's license, believe it or not, no loss of financial benefits, and no public mention of his name. And believe it or not, Bob was brazed enough to suggest an additional provision in which he could burn down his current house and use the insurance money to build a new house for his current girlfriend without any repercussions. And Riley says, no, I can't include this in the document because insurance fraud is a crime, and Bob flat out said, quote, I bet I could do it in such a way they'll say it was an accident, just like we're doing with this no difference end quote. And I see your eyes bulging.
Speaker 3: Oh, but I said, oh wow, this man, he's operating like you would think if a child's committed murder and they were thinking about how they could get out of it.
Speaker 2: That is exactly the way that Bob is moving right now. It all feels juvenile, it feels ridiculous. But like you said, he is a naive tor criminal proceedings or being questioned by police because you spent time in prison, So we could give him the benefit of the dot if he hadn't and be like maybe he's just unfamiliar with this and he's immature in a lot of ways. But I don't really find a I can't see a way where we can make allowances for that here, because Bob should have had some kind of experience being questioned and with legal proceedings how things go. I don't know how much his attorney has explained stuff to him, but this just feels so naive and ridiculous. You're proposing insurance fraud to the police and saying that you could get away with it or make it look like it was an accident, like we're doing with this other thing here, Like what the other thing, like the death of your wife? What is happening?
Speaker 1: I can only imagine like Special Agent Riley's reaction while he's hearing all this, because he's probably worked on a number of murder investigations and never heard a suspect say anything like this before. But in the end, he never did get an official confession to Kay's death, so unfortunately this didn't really lead anywhere, And of course they did not put together an official legal document in which Bob would be absolved from all these sins if he made a confession. But when Bob was asked about this later on, he said, Oh, I never actually meant any of the things that I said about burning down my house or collecting oncasion insurance. He said he was just leading Riley on to see where he was in the investigation and making a genuine effort to devise a strategy which might prompt the real guilty party to come forward and confess to Kay's deaths. So his explanation is this was all just an elaborate ruse, but it sounded like he was pretty much playing himself and only made people all the more suspicious of him. Sure Bob, Sure, yeah, real genius here coming up with this idea. So the case would finally receive national attention. It was featured on Unsolved Mysteries in October of nineteen eighty nine. I remember watching it on TV at the time and many years afterwards, and when I saw Bob's interview, I used to think that, well, there's a possibility that he wasn't guilty here. And they did talk about the domestic violence and Bob's troubling history, but they also did a very effective job of talking about the timeline and the logistics of committing this crime. So I was willing to believe that Bob was innocent. He didn't come across too badly when he was interviewed. He did come across better than Jewel Kaylor and a lot of the other suspicious Bowses who were interviewed on the show. But one piece of information the segment conveniently didn't mention was this whole interrogation segment with Special Agent Riley where it sounded like he was going to make a confession. So when I learned about this, like many years later, when I originally watched the segment, I was like fifty to fifty and willing to give Bob the benefit of the doubt. But once I read about this weird quasi confession, I was like, well, that looks pretty bad for Bob. And if they had included this on the show, there probably wouldn't have been as much mystery about whether or not Bob was guilty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like if they would have included that, it makes it far more compelling. I'm like, at eighty percent Bob did it, twenty percent it might have been somebody else or might have happened some other way, but strongly leaning towards Bob. The only thing he has working for him. Is the really difficult logistics with his behavior in the aftermath of Kay's death, The way that he was with authorities wanting this document, talking about having a provision put in, about burning down his house and getting the insurance money so he could get a new place. It's all just it's wild, and it makes me think that these are the actions of a guilty man, not of a man in mourning, not of a man who just isn't all that intelligent or mature. It's it seems to be guilt. It seems to be deception and guilt. And he's really trying to find a way that he can get out of this and so that he doesn't have a potential legal situation looming. And he thinks that he's smart enough that if he gets these this legal paperwork in order that he'll be able to assure that his future will be bright because nobody will be able to come after him for K's murder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. And given the circumstances, actually surprising that he didn't say anything more stupid on National TV. He didn't pull a Jewel Kler and say that well, it was tough losing k at first, but ever since I moved on and got remarried, things are really pretty good. But maybe he had his attorney in the room who prevented him from saying anything incriminating.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're going to be going on TV, you would really hope that you would have an attorney who was present to coach you with that. And I wonder, like with Jewel Kayler, if there wasn't an element of duper's delight where he was going to say just enough to like have people talking, because he knew that nobody was ever going to find Dottie and that the probability that they would ever be able to bring charges against him were so low that he could almost say whatever he wanted, veiled slightly, and he knew that they didn't really have any recourse because no district attorney is going to bring charges just because he looks like a suspicious weirdo on mysteries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and technically, if that was his strategy, it's worked because it's been forty years and they've never found Dottie and the case is still unsolved. But that obviously doesn't work as well in a case where you have the victims' bodies like here where you could potentially find new evidence and make an arrest at any point. So the Unsaw Mystery segment brought in a whole bunch of new tips, but the most important was from a woman named Carol Vandergrift, who was a former friend of Kay Hall's. It turned out that on July the thirty first, nineteen eighty seven, just two months before Kay was killed, Carol became the victim of a violent crime herself when she was shot in the head inside her home in Middleburg, Virginia. She managed to make it to the phone and call nine to one one for help because miraculously she survived, but in case she didn't, she took the initiative to actually write the word William in blood on the floor before she crawled to the phone, and sure enough, she was referring to her ex husband, William Douglas Carter. She claimed that William broke in to her house and shot her in the head, and that he had worn rubber gloves to get his fingerprints on the gun, and then afterwards he put the gun in her hand to make it look like it was a suicide in a self inflicted gunshot wound, but because she wound up surviving, she was able to make it to the phone call for help and incriminate him. William maintained his innocence because when they arrested him, he was at his horse farm several hundred miles away in Saratoga Springs, New York, and he claimed that he was home the entire time, and actually pointed to his phone records saying that, see, I made a whole bunch of long distance phone calls from my house to prove I was there. But of course these calls took place a couple hours before Carol was shot. So the instantly assumed that he tried to fabricate an alibi for himself, and that after killing Carol, he drove immediately from Virginia back to his farm in New York and made a whole bunch of phone calls just to intentionally create an alibi and show that he was at home. And does this sound a bit familiar?
Speaker 2: Ye? Yeah, this definitely sounds familiar. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So sure enough, Carol, when she phoned the UNSAWD Mystery's tip line, said that, yes, I was good friends with Kay, and after I survived my ordeal, I spoke to Kay and Bob and told them about what my ex husband did. So Bob definitely would have been aware of this at the time Kay was killed, so they figured she probably killed her then thought of what happened with William and Carroll, and then raced back home and made a phone call to his daughter so that it would be on the record and he could establish an alibi for himself. And this made investigators think that this is finally our smoking gun. It's the one piece of evidence we need to finally indict Bob. So in January of nineteen ninety, only two months after the Unsaw Mystery segment aired, he was finally charged with second degree murder.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow, So I mean there's nothing impressive about Bob So, Like, don't take my comment here as me being impressed by him. But the fact that he was able to be very, very intoxicated and he would get dropped off at home and he comes up with this plan and he's able to find Kay and able to then have the foresight to make that call to establish an alibi. It seems far more intelligent than the Bob that we've seen in the aftermath of the crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's my conumdrum with this entire case is that the idea seems plausible. But I also don't think that this was a premeditated murder plot, because obviously, when they were at the country club that night and got into a fight and then kay decided to drive off in her pickup truck and leave Bob stranded, he couldnt have anticipated that. So when he learned that morning that his wife is going to get a fifty thousand dollars inheritance, I don't think he started orchestrating this elaborate murder plot. So I do think that if he killed her, it was a crime of passion, a heat of the moment thing, and then maybe at that moment he decided, ooh, I'm remembering that this friend of Kayse was murdered in a similar faction. So I'm going to drive home and I'm going to make a phone call to establish an alibi, which seems like at odds with how stupid he's asking during the police interview. And I think another conundrum with that is that well, William attempted to do that but it did not work, So how does he think that it's going to work in this case? If he just rushes home and makes a phone call, so it's kind of a weird thing where you could go either way. I wish I had more details about the phone call he made to his daughters, because if she said that, well, he had something important that we needed to talk about, and that there was a legitimate reason for him to be calling me, then it seems unlikely that he's fabricating it. But if he just decided to pick up the phone at like nine forty seven at night and say, hey, just wanted to call and see how you're doing. Just got nothing to talk about, then it looks like he's making this call just to get it on the record, to fabricate an alibi.
Speaker 2: I mean, even a broken clock is right twice a day. So I think it's possible that Bob could have decided to call his daughter in order for it to be this alibi, and that was the smartest looking move that he's made, even though it didn't work for his friend. He might have thought, Okay, well this is going to be tight. Logistically. I found her so quickly and she's so far away that if I make this call now, then it's going to be very difficult for them to prove that it was me. Who killed K. And I mean, that's what we're talking about now, That's what is the real sticking point with this case is the logistics of everything, how drunk Bob was. But I do agree with you. If he did kill K, which it seems like there is a very strong likelihood he did, I don't believe that he was a premeditated murder. I think maybe he wanted to confront K and then things took a turn and he decided to in the heat of the moment. But if he planned to do it, it just seems like there's a lot of messy elements that he couldn't control here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it might have like he had like kind of a bad break when they found Kay's body at nine point fifty five, which was only eight minutes after he made the phone call, because if she had remained undiscovered out there for several hours and it was hard to pinpoint her time of death, he could easily say I was at home the entire time I made this phone call and you can't pin it on me. But because they found her body and she was still warm, and they were able to determine that she was killed a very short time before she was found, they were able to establish a timeline and realize that, well, we know Bob made this phone call eight minutes before she was discovered, but it is possible he could have been out there and gone out to kill her and rushed home in time to make the.
Speaker 2: Call, like if she was cold, or they could have checked her internal temperature and they know how much drops like per hour, and they would have checked, and maybe she was murdered a lot closer to when Bob would have been dropped off. That could have potentially cleared him because we know it would have taken in seventeen ish minutes to drive to where she was, and then you also have to carry out the act. You got to get it to that struggle which resulted in like the nails missing and everything. So I would think that that whole ordeal would take at least thirty minutes. So if she was cooler, then it would have cleared him, like, but the fact that she was still warm, it made it all very possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And you just mentioned the nails there, and that was another issue is that there was no physical evidence placing Bob at the scene, even if they found his DNA fingerprints or his hairs inside K's pickup truck. That wouldn't mean anything because obviously she had driven him to the country club and he was in the truck all the time, so it's natural that you're gonna find his DNA and his prints and all that stuff there. And of course this was nineteen eighty seven, before they were even doing DNA testing. And I think that if there was one thing that could have linked Bob to the scene, it was the fake nails, because if they had found skin cells belonging to him underneath the underneath the nails, and that would be hard to explain. But of course this was pre DNA testing, so I don't think that they ever performed anything like that. But that would become another sticking point when Bob went to trial, is that even though we have this incriminating testimony from Carol Vandergriff and we have a lot of incriminating actions by Bob himself, there are still no eyewitnesses or physical evidence to prove he was there when Kay was killed.
Speaker 2: And I think that it makes it more difficult when it's somebody's partner and there's skin cells under the nails, it would be very easy for Bob to use like a rough sex defense, right, like, oh, you know, she was scratching at me or whatever, not enough to leave a mark, but enough to get skin cells under there. So maybe it would be if by today's technology, I think you'd be able to tell how much skin cells were under there, if there was any blood or anything. But back then, if you're looking at even a few years out from this into the nineties, you're not going to have highly sophisticated technology. It's going to be pretty rudimentary. So I would think he would be able to use that excuse, being that they were partners, they spent time physic together, and if they were together intimately, then it is possible that skin cells would end up under the nails. So I can see him using that as a defense. I mean, I don't know how well you could use that as a defense, but I think there is, Like you said, with this case, there's so much reasonable doubt. I still believe he did it, but there's a lot of reasonable bout.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's pretty much my mindset as well. And one detail that I forgot to mention is that Kay was not sexually assaulted and her purse was still left in the truck, So robbery did not appear to be the motive for this crime, so they figured whoever killed her, it sounded more like a personal killing. And the big issue with like trying to find it on anyone else besides Bob is that there didn't seem to be any other suspects in Kay's personal life who would have had a motive to harmer. So obviously you're going to look at the husband who stands to inherit the fifty thousand dollars life insurance.
Speaker 2: And I mean, I guess he could have said something like, oh, well, you know, maybe it was a hitchhiker somebody who she picked up and they were going to sexually assault her. But because Kate fought back so valiantly, the hitchhiker ended up killing her. She got away, and then they ended up running her over because they weren't able to finish what they'd started and they didn't want Kay reporting to the police about the situation. I don't think that happened at all, but I'm just saying that he could have raised something like that as a possibility for why the purse was still there, because somebody could panic if you've killed somebody and like that wasn't your initial intention, and then you've gone and done that. It could just be a panic sweeps over you in that moment and you forget to you know, steal the money or do anything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, like you said, even though that's not really plausible, it's still reasonable doubts. So I can understand like why the defense had a lot to work with at this trial. So the trial would have another number of unusual events take place because this had been featured on Saw Mysteries. When they were doing jury selection, they questioned all the prospective jurors if they had seen the Unsolved Mystery segment. In about sixteen of them said yes, and some of them said that they had formed their own personal opinion about Bob's guilt or innocence just based on the segment. So of course they were strucken. They were not allowed to go on the jury for fear that it would taint the jury pool. But then they actually selected a guy and found out afterwards that he had actually participated in the Unsolved Mysteries reenactments. He played one of the actors who the motorists who found Kay's body beneath the pigup truck. Because back in the day, unsolved mysteries would travel to the locations where the crimes took place, and they would usually not get professional actors. They would just get locals to play the people in the reenactments. So they found this local resident named Manuel Haney to play one of the motorists who discovered Kay's body. And of course, when the defense found out about it, they kind of panicked a little bit, saying that this could taint his judgment. But they questioned Haiti and he said that in spite of the fact that I played an actor in this, I can remain unbiased and I will not let this tate my opinion. And they allowed him to stay on the jury. And I don't know if this influenced the verdict, but it's just another thing where it's like, yeah, you should probably get rid of this because this gives them grounds to appeal if Bob has found guilty.
Speaker 2: Hello, Like, how did this not come up earlier? It seems really odd that you wouldn't disclose this if you were a juror early on and say like, hey, this is a conflict of interest. You've got to wonder why does this juror have a vested interest in going forward and hearing this case. Most people are all too happy to be excused from jury duty, but you've got somebody who has something that could get them excused, but they don't reveal it, which is a little bit concerning to me. And like you said, this can be raised at appeal at a later date and saying that there's bias here, and I think it's a good grounds for appeal. So obviously I'm not a lawyer, but it sounds like good grounds for appeal to me. And yeah, I can't believe that they didn't get rid of him at this point because whether he can remain unbiased or not, it seems like a clear conflict of interest, definitely.
Speaker 1: And I'm having a feeling that the guy was probably really excited to be on the jury because this is a town that doesn't get a lot of attention, and you had now a big TV show that was filming reenactments there and you got to appear on TV and a reenactment of a crime scene, and now you're going to be on the jury for the trial. So that's probably the most excitement this guy had ever seen in his life, which is why he was more than happy to be on the jury and conveniently did not disclose that he had been an actor on the show until after he was selected, so once the trial began, the prosecution pushed forward the theory that after returning home from the country club, Bob immediately climbed into his jeep went searching for Kay, eventually found her and an argument ensued, which led to Bob going into a violent drunken rage and running over Kay with the pickup truck. And then he suddenly remembered the incident with Carol Vandergrift and William Douglas Carter and realized that if I want to clear myself, I need to fabricate an alibi. So he immediately raced back home and made a phone call to his daughter in order to get it on the record. And of course, Carol Vandergriff testified on the stand about her own personal experience with her estranged ex husband, and she pretty much confirmed that yes, I told Kay and Bob about this shortly before Kay's death took place, so Bob would have been well aware of it. But the defense tried to push forward the theory that Kay was not actually murdered and was the victim of a freak accident because I already talked about how she had a blood alcohol level of zero point twenty seven, she had a history of being arrested for DUI, and a witness had nearly seen her crashing her pickup truck into a swimming pool shortly before she was killed. So even though the transmission of A. K's truck was found in park, an engineer was called upon to testify, who claimed that he had examined the truck and discovered that the gearshift lever for the automatic transmission was faulty, and he said that the truck actually suffered from phenomenon called quote illusory park phenomenon, which could have caused it to accidentally shift into reverse from the park position and back over K's body a second time while she was already on the ground. And I did a search on this, and there is like a history of this phenomenon called illusory park phenomenon. There have been lawsuits where people have believed that they put their vehicle into park but found out that it was just an illusion. It just appeared to be that way, and then when they walked out of their vehicle, they wound up getting run over because it was not actually in park, and apparently, like some vehicles have been recalled in the past because they had faulty transmissions, So they said it was not completely impossible that the truck could have accidentally backed over K because she thought it was mistakenly in park. But the big hole in that theory is that why would K stop her truck in the middle of that particular road get out before she was run over? So that was the problem here is that it was physically possible for her to be run over, but why would she be in that position in the first place.
Speaker 2: Drunk people do some wild things. But the one part that I really can't get past is that there was a struggle in the vehicle and her nails are missing, and illusory park phenomenon does not explain.
Speaker 1: That it's true. Yeah, that was pretty much the big hole in their theory, and I almost think it would have been a mistake to like focus on this angle. I think the defense should have tried to push forward the idea that Kay was murdered by someone else. But the problem is is that they were unable to find any other persons of interest or suspects, and it's like one of the odds that K would go to this remote dead end road at like between like nine to nine thirty at night and then just cross paths with someone who was somehow lure out of her truck and then run her over. So I think that's why they decided to go with the accident theory. But it obviously did not work because the jury only deliberated for two and a half hours before they found Bob guilty of secondary murder and he was sentenced to twenty years in prison.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not really surprised that the jury came to that conclusion because, like, like you said, this is a real rollercoaster of a case, and I'm sure that they had some really interesting deliberations when it came down to the logistics and Bob's state of mind. If he would have been able to plan to do things like you know, calling his daughter at that time in order to give himself an alibi, would you have the foresight to do something like that when you're very, very drunk, and like, what is the probability of being able to find Kay when you don't know where she is, you can't track her, and you've got this really tight time frame. But when you take everything into account, his weird interactions with law enforcement, asking for that crazy letter that would absolve him of all legal responsibility if this, if he did indeed kill her, and wanting to burn down his place as part of this agreement so that he could get a new house as part of a Christmas present. It's all so wild, and the fact that the jury's hearing this, it's like, there is reasonable doubt. But I also can understand why the jury was like, nah, and he did it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even though there was no physical evidence placing Bob at the scene, all this stuff about Bob's weird statements during his interview with Agent Riley did get hurt at the trial in front of the jury, So I'm sure they heard that and they're like, yeah, he sounds so guilty. And even though if they haven't really established how he made it this location, the fact that he did all these incriminating stuff is the reason that we believe he did this and are comfortable finding him guilty. But obviously, if that was the end of the story, we probably wouldn't be talking about this on the episode. So there is some more twists and turns to come, yeah, believe it or not, So you might remember how Carol Vandergrift that her testimony was pretty much the primary evidence against Bob. But once Bob was convicted, his defense team filed an appeal saying that her testimony unfairly prejudiced the jury, that even though she told about this incident with her ex husband to Kay and Bob, that doesn't necessarily prove that Bob did the same thing, and that they were unable to establish this, so they feel that there should be grounds to overturn the conviction. Well, in early nineteen ninety two, about a year and a half after the trial took place, William Douglas Carter's conviction for the attempted murder of Carol Vandergrift wound up getting overturned. Because this goes into kind of batshit crazy territory. Let me just look it up here. So William, when he was arrested for the attempted murder of Carol, he wound up getting convicted of malicious wounding and illegal use of a firearm and received a fourteen year prison sentence. But then his defense team peeled his conviction and they wound up being contacted by a deputy from the Loudun County Sheriff's office named Doug pop Up, who claimed that shortly before Carol was shot, Carol had attempted to hire him as a private bodyguard in order to watch over her house because she had just gone through a contentious divorce with William and she feared that her life would be in danger, so she wanted Papa to guard the house, and she apparently made some incriminating statements saying that I'm so bitter against him that I would be willing to shoot myself and make it look like he did it, and that even if I was dead, I would take comfort in the fact that he would get arrested for I murder and have his life ruined and go to prison. Well, Papa found this pretty incriminating because William always maintained that he didn't do this, so she started wondering could have been possible that Carol actually did shoot herself and attempted to frame her ex husband, And before William's trial took place, Papa actually went to the district attorney and went to his supervisor at the Sheriff's office to share this information, but they conveniently ignored this and did not share these incriminating statements from Carol at William's trial. And when the appeals court heard about this, they pretty much said that, well, I'm not necessarily saying that William was innocent, but the fact that this statement was not included at his trial and that the district attorney in the sheriff's office deliberately withheld it means that his civil rights were violin. So he says, I have no choice but to overturn William's conviction. And as you can imagine, this decision would have a big bearing on Bob's appeal as well.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, I can imagine that that would have a domino effect. And so what do you think? I don't know enough details of that case, but do you think that Carol was fabricating that and she did indeed shoot herself or do you think that it was just like an offhanded comment that she made about how angry she was at her ex and how she was be willing to go to great lengths and somehow coincidentally that's what he ended up doing.
Speaker 1: I haven't done enough research to form one hundred percent complete opinion. I do am inclined to believe that William actually did this, because I do know that he had a history of violence, and it was a very tumultuous divorce. And when you look at the timeline, it does seem plausible that he could have shot her in Virginia, driven back to his form farm in New York, and made those phone calls to establish an alibi, and that maybe she just made those off and comments. But it doesn't necessarily mean that it happened. But when William went on trial again, he got a retrial. He wound up being acquitted because once they had those statements in there, it planted a lot of reasonable doubt in the jury's mind, and so they found William not guilty. But I find this interesting is that after William was released from prison, he filed a civil rights lawsuit in court and he wound up winning, but the jury decided to award him an amount of one dollar, which I have never seen before. And I kind of think that's a symbolic thing where they said that, yes, technically your civil rights were violated, Yes technically you received an unfair trial, but we still believe that you were actually guilty of this crime. Hence that's why we're only going to award you one dollar in compensation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like a symbolic verdict, like, technically, yes, you were wronged and your civil rights were violated, but you're a horrible human, so we're only going to give you a dollar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much, that's what it seems like to me. So I think it was just a lucky thing that Carol made those statements, And who knows, if they had introduced them into William's original trial, maybe they still would have found him guilty. But because they withheld it, they knew that he had got an unfair trial and violated his civil rights, so that's the reason he ultimately wound up getting released. But as you can imagine, this played like a big role on Bob Hall's appeal because they said Carol Vandergriff's testimony against him was the primary evidence at his own trial, and now we're finding new evidence to suggest that maybe she shot herself and that attempted to frame Rex's husband, so obviously she is no longer a reliable witness. And the Virginia Court of Appeals agreed, so they decided to overturn Bob's conviction and awarded him a new trial. And this was less than two years after he was convicted, so the case against Bob fell apart very quickly.
Speaker 2: It's crazy to me that, like Carol's testimony was one of their main pieces of evidence. That seems like really wild that you got somebody saying, hey, I shared this information about what happened to me, and then he goes and calls his daughter, and like that is actual evidence. I think that, like, there's a lot of horrible things about Bob and the way that he's acted that we highlighted over and over again, but the fact that she's their main witness and that this is the best evidence that you have says to me that you've got a pretty weak case.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much. But the Virginia Court of Appeals thought, like they actually said in the decision, we're not saying that Bob is innocent. We still believe he had the motive and opportunity to kill his wife. But because he was convicted primarily on eyewitness testimony from someone who might be completely unreliable, and this was the primary evidence and it could have unfairly prejudiced the jury, we have no choice but to overturn the conviction and give him a new trial. And I think that would be pretty wild if it turned out that Carol really did shoot herself to frame Rex's husband, but it turned out that Bob was still guilty. Because that doesn't counsel each other out. It's possible that William could have been innocent and Bob was guilty, and he just happened to be inspired by a crime where the suspect was wrongly convicted but was not actually using the phone calls to establish an alibi. So, unfortunately, this case would wind up being resolved with one of our least favorite things ever, and that's the Alford plea, because unfortunately, without Carol's testimony, the state realized, we don't really have a lot of evidence to take Bob to trial again, and we're not entirely sure we can get a conviction. So they decided to offer a Bobby deal where his twenty year cents would be shortened to time served and he would receive fifteen years probation if he entered an Alford plea, where technically he would be plead guilty to Kay's murder, but he would still be maintaining his innocence. And in this particular case, I have the mindset that I don't care if Bob is guilty or innocence. Like if I was in Bob's shoes and I was in innocent, I would take that deal because you're getting fifteen years probation for murder after serving less than two years, as opposed to serving twenty years. So that is a pretty good deal. But unfortunately it's very unsatisfying for every everyone involved because if Bob is innocent, he doesn't have a chance to clear his name. But if he's guilty, then that's really bad for a Kay's family because they have only got to see this guy serve less than two years and now he's going to be walked free after receiving a sense of probation for murder.
Speaker 2: That's literally a gift for Bob. And I think that both sides made the right decision in the sense that if they took Bob to trial again, they may end up with a completely different result. If it's a situation where they could end up with Bob having some type of LEO recourse against them, this protects them from that and it also allows them to say, hey, we won, we convicted. He's taking this police So in the end, even though it's not enough and it seems pretty clear from the evidence that we have that Bob is the guilty party. It just it feels unsatisfactory, right, Like it's just like, Okay, you're taking responsibility, but not really. You're not saying you're guilty. You're just saying that with the evidence that is there, they would likely find you guilty again. So you take an Alfred plea, which, like you said, I hate an Alfred plea. I understand why they use them, and I understand why people decide to take an Alfred plea, but I can imagine for Kay's family, it's like he's only done five years and that's all that he gets, and you don't get to go after him again later.
Speaker 1: Great, and not five years, like less than two years, like.
Speaker 2: Two years, my god, that's even worse time served. That tells you how weak their case was. That tells you they've got absolutely nothing. But at the time, the same token. I can understand why Bob, guilty or innocent, would take that Alfred plea because that guarantees your freedom. But again, I don't think he's innocent.
Speaker 1: That's what's so ironic about this case is that we talked about that crazy like interrogation session he had with Agent Riley where it sounded like he almost wanted to confess to the crime as long as he didn't any consequences. And this is almost the same thing because he's pleading guilty in court, but he's mostly receiving probation, so he essentially had to serve less than two years in prison for committing murder. And I almost think that if they had offered him to that during the interrogation session, Bob would have taken it. So it's technically his weird deal wound up working for him in the long run, and that's just what's so unfortunate about this case. But like we mentioned, Alfred, please technically count as a win for the prosecution, and if you take one, you can't sue the court later on or sue the state for your wrongful incarceration, Whereas if they had taken Bob to trial and he was acquitted, he might have been able to sue later on. So you can understand why both sides agreed to this, but it's just a very unsatisfying resolution for everyone involved.
Speaker 2: I was literally thinking the exact same thing what you just said, that Alfred plea was like made for Bob because of his weird legal things that he was trying to get with that letter, and like partially take responsibility. This was made for him. He can say that he's guilty without saying that he's guilty, and then he gets to go on with his life. So Bob got his wish. All he had to do was a couple years in prison and he's off scot free with fifteen years probation.
Speaker 1: And I haven't heard anything about Bob. He was technically released from prison in April nineteen ninety two and he told the press that he was going to go live with his daughter in Maryland. But I haven't heard one thing about him since then. He pretty much just faded from the spotlight. I think one of the issues is that Bob Hall is such a common name, so that when you do a Google search, it's hard to determine if anything happened to him. But I haven't heard of him violating his probation, and I have no idea if he's still alive. If he is, he would be in his mid eighties by this point, so he pretty much just faded from the spotlight. And he obviously didn't spend any time trying to find the real killer of his wife. So, like you said, he technically got what he wanted, He got off with a very light sense, and then was able to move on with his life without any further consequences.
Speaker 2: I really feel for Kay's family here. I can't imagine what you would fin knowing that this man is out and there's a very strong likelihood that he's responsible for the death of your daughter in a very violent way. To think that she was run over, there was a struggle in the vehicle and she was run over like that is so horrific. And then he's walking free, He's getting to go live his life with his new partner. It's really gross.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's one case that has popped into your mind will be discussing this, and that's the staircase murder with Yes Peterson. Yes because it had the same resolution where Michael Peterson had his conviction overturn not because he was proven innocent, but because one of the experts who testified at his trial turned out to be very unethical and gave a lot of bad testimony which led to wrongful convictions. So they said they had no choice but to overturn his conviction and give him a new trial. But he ultimately decided on an Alfred plea so he wouldn't have to go back to trial again and go to prison, and then went on to live the rest of his life and is still alive today. And there's still a lot of mystery this case. I've always been inclined to believe that Michael Peterson was guilty, but the big unanswered question is how did he do it? Because they were never able to conclusively establish a manner of death. I know some people have talked about a theory about her being killed by an owl which caused her to like get clawed and bang her head or something like that, but I personally don't believe it. But it's the same antality with this particular case where you can believe Bob's guilty, but there's still a lot of unanswered questions about how he pulled it off. How did he know that Kay would be at this particular spot which was sixteen miles from his home, in two miles in the opposite direction of the club they were, and why Kay traveled to this particular spot where she was killed, and how Bob would have known she would be there. So that's a frustrating thing about an alpha. Please you can close the case, everyone can remain silent, but you will never know the full truth about what happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's infuriating, and I tend to believe that Michael Peterson is responsible, but I don't lean as heavily as I do with Bob, Whereas with Michael Peterson, I'm like sixty percent Michael Peterson forty percent owl. But I do think there's a possibility that he didn't do it, and that those pin hairs from the owl or pin feathers or whatever that were found on Kathleen there is some significance to that because it seems to be the greatest amount of evidence. Everything against Michael Peterson kind of made me scratch my head. But with Bob, it's the way that Bob acted in interviews, the things that he said, that's what really pushed me over the edge. Whereas logistically I thought there's a strong possibility he didn't do it, I'm like fifty to fifty with the logistics and trying to do mental gymnastics for another theory that fits. But the way that he acted in the aftermath, I'm pretty secure in my belief that Bob was indeed responsible for the murder of k.
Speaker 1: I do agree, and if he did do it, it was probably a thing where he got Scott lucky that maybe he just decided, I need to go out searching for K. He drove around for a while and just got lucky that he happened to stumble across K at this exact spot a very short time later, and then was able to race home to make the phone call and narrow the timeline so that there was still some reasonable doubt about how he could have done it. Theoretically, if Bob was innocent, I don't believe that Kay's death was an accident because of the signs of struggle in the cab, and I think the only other theory of someone else killing her which would make sense is maybe if she was having an affair with someone and never told anyone about it, and maybe they lived in that particular area near Bluff Point Rose and she went to visit this person, maybe they got into an argument and that person ran her down. But if that was the case, she obviously never told anyone about this affair, since nothing about this came out. But the reason I still have a teeny bit of doubt is that I just don't know what Kay was doing when she left the club at eight and was driving into the pool nearly at eight fifty and then was killed a short time later, Like why was she driving around in this particular area. So that's why I think there's a minute possibility that maybe she went to see someone, maybe a secret lover, and that person wound up killing her. And if there was nothing else against Bob, then maybe I'd lean more towards that theory. But the way he kept lying to police and said all those suspicious statements during the interview is the main reason that I still think that's the most logical explanation that he did it.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, like twenty percent of me is like, Okay, there's a possibility that it could have been somebody else, that it's just some suspect that we aren't aware of, Like you said, somebody she's having an affair with a hitchhiker, any possibility that it could be an outside person, obviously not somebody who's trying to rob her. But I'm still eighty percent there that like, Bob, you're the guy. You did this. But because of all of these strange elements of this case, I could never be like one hundred percent, well not that we're ever one hundred percent in any case, but you know, ninety nine point nine percent.
Speaker 1: Yes, Like this is where reasonable doubt comes in, because in spite of what I said, I think that if I was on the jury for this, I would have hard time convicting Bob because I can't say with one hundred percent certainty that I believe he did it. And so that really makes me think that they were a little premature when they decided to charge him based on Carol Vandergriff's testimony, and that maybe they should have waited a longer time, maybe when there were advances in forensic like maybe many years from them, they would have been able to do DNA testing on her nails or something and find more conclusive physical evidence placing Bob at the scene. But because they jumped the gun and then they convicted him, like in unfair circumstances, they got to the point where all they could do was offer an al Ford plea and let them walk free, and no one was satisfied with the outcome. So any further thoughts on the death of k Hall.
Speaker 2: No, this was a really interesting case. I truly feel like you took me on a roller coaster ride.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was a fun one to do, just seeing like your facial expressions with some of the stuff I told you, and seeing you gradually change your mind having reasonable doubt about Bob, but then once you heard the details of his interview you were like, yeah, I'm pretty sure he did it. But that's what's fun about feeding you details of these cases that you don't have any knowledge of them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Like I had no idea of this case. I'd heard nothing of it at the beginning. I never really know if I have heard of it, and once you tell me details, but this one I was completely blind. So it's always interesting when you don't know any of the details. And with a case such as this to have such crazy details, I can't think of any other case except for the staircase that would rival it with the ups and downs and the reasonable doubt, the strange evidence, the logistics of it all. So thank you for sharing the details of the murder of Unexplained death slash murder of k Hall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my pleasure. This was a great one to discuss. So that about brings an end to our series on the death of k Hall. Thank you so much for joining us, and we'll be back again next week talking about another case.
Speaker 2: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 1: Yes, The Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon. If you join our five dollars tier tier two, we also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon and if you join our highest tier tier three, the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsaved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsoalved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 2: So I want to let you know a little bit about the jewels and nashty patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Path Went Chili mini's which are always over an hour, so they're not very many, but they're just too short to turn into a series and we're really enjoying doing those, so we hope you'll check out those patreons will link them in the show notes.
Speaker 1: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or to rate and review is greatly appreciate it. You can email us at The Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwink. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and Chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 2: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy