Speaker 1: Streamy live on the Ihearts Radio WAB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Robera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty on Steve Roberta in Today's Blady Bieger.
Speaker 3: And now we have won with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball, Breaking News on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, it finally worked, got it. I feel proud of myself. You nailed it. I had to nail it and I got number one intern here, welcome breaking news. We're gonna start off with some Arizona athletics kind of covering the last week or so. Arizona men's tennis added Georgia State transfer Baron Soiler. Soiler, so we'll see what he brings to the tennis program. Pretty successful season which included newly announced All Americans Colton Smith and Jay Friend.
Speaker 4: Yeah we did. We're fantastic guys too. This is but it's not easy, but I say it all the time. With their coach being the best coach on campus. Give me his name, but forgive his name. I'm blanking on his name too, give me a second.
Speaker 3: Had him on, We had them.
Speaker 4: Look you talk this program was nowhere, Clancy Shields, Yeah, this team is nowhere.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: They're one of the top programs in the country that just doesn't happen. And we're going to talk about coaching philosophy with you. He's a good guy. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: To some Arizona baseball. They played in the Big twelve Baseball Tournament Championship, whatever you want to call it. They faced b YU in the first or second round quarterfinal. For one, they took it to the number one seed West Virginia twelve to one in that semi final, and of course they won the Big twelve Championship against TCU two to one and ten and eames.
Speaker 2: What's harder to win baseball title? Basketball title? Football title? That's different because it's you know, you've got to be one of those big time schools. But you know, I think but softball you're kind of on even terms, or at least you were were once. Baseball you're kind of on even terms as you think you are. Basketball. Same kind of thing. Basketball you think you're on even terms. Given the love of basketball here, uh, let's go with those three.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not always say baseball just because of the length of the season, right, what.
Speaker 2: About circumstances you get to the to get to the Omaha is tough, and then to get to when you're not on want that's tall. Yeah, you know because that kind of when the tournament starts.
Speaker 3: Have you been to om the Have you ever?
Speaker 4: It's one of the coolest things I've ever seen, and I we had just gone there recently in like in the last eight years. Highly recommend it if you ever get a chance by your tickets in vance though, because if you're trying the.
Speaker 3: Purpose of watching the golge Rope Series, no, just for.
Speaker 4: The purpose of the atmosphere, like the atmosphere and all, but you're talking about going to that stadium, but going for the tournament, going for the tournament. Yeah, yeah, I mean you're seeing it's it's jam Pack Stadium. I think Creighton plays there, right, Yeah, but it's it's impressive and everything that goes around the stadium during that time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a lot of fun. That's one of the few things I would to answer your question. I think baseball is the hardest basketball. You're more than you get that championship or even the tournament. You're facing a team more than like we already faced uh with basketball this year it was Houston. We had already faced them, kind of familiar so and then softball, more often than not, you get the teams that are favored that they usually win. As you can see, West India didn't expect to lose in the semifinal so and not only lose, it would get routed in the semifinals.
Speaker 2: So you just never know what you want. Baseball, Yeah, what do their chances are? I'm sure they have odds already somewhere.
Speaker 3: When you have eight of winning a national championship. Oh, I don't know. That would be interesting. I'll try. I don't know.
Speaker 4: But they're getting hot at the right time. Sure, but sore everybody else so.
Speaker 3: Is so is cal Poly. Who they'll face? You know, do you have their situation? What's your record? Let me check for you.
Speaker 4: You said the line was even though right, that's what someone's posted, but you're right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you play the number one.
Speaker 4: I just think you're going to face their horse like cal Pauly is going to have it there for a reason right there there. You look at the California schools, each one of them has one arm where you're like, I don't want to face that guy.
Speaker 3: Cal Poly is forty one and seventeen. Yeah, for a reason trying to find that the line can't find out. Yea, I'll circle back to that to some softball to go to. Kennedy, Devon Nets and Sydney Stewart were named nfc A All Americans.
Speaker 4: It's impressive to have three on your team, right, tennesseeam had two like yeah, very impressive.
Speaker 3: And the Sydney store will probably be back. We'll see for next year. Yeah, yeah, because you have news with that too. Yeah. So there's been four more and enterings into the transfer portal for Aarazona softball red shirt freshman pitcher Ryan Maddox, sophomore catcher Emily Shep, outfielder The Day Tagalog and freshman Kate Vance have all entered the transfer portal, along with second base second basement Logan Cole. And so it's about five changes, five new ones, about nine overall. I think one of them included Asa Silva, local kid who is now going to be a Sun Devil when she pitched in one of the final games too. I think it was a lot of from what I heard just talking to some of the softball people in my family is They all thought she was probably the best picture, was consistent picture, so they were just a little bit surprised and that she was used more often.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think that was one of the questions or debates how they use their pictures, right, and then you have seen four or five pictures of God to the transfer portal. It's tough, man. You only have a certain amount of games. You have only have a certain amount of situations. I don't want you You're you're a coach, I mean, and you probably know in the back of your mind if I don't do this, there's a chance.
Speaker 3: That they're going to be gone. Yeah, your your windows. But do you even think about that? Oh yeah you do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, especially from that circumstance where you're only getting a handful of opportunities, like you're you've got to make them count somehow.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But as a coach, you say, Okay, I got one, two, three, four, five. I know my one, two, three are good, four and five, but I got to play them because I want them back for next year.
Speaker 3: With her now, I mean, we talked about this before. It's Lows. It's Low's job.
Speaker 4: Every time she writes a lineup, I think she's got a powerful, strong three. Right that four and five probably you're not gonna get me anything, right, But now you have to convince the four and five. Okay, do you want them to come back?
Speaker 2: And that's a great point that it's probably not part.
Speaker 3: Of the story.
Speaker 4: I mean not, I mean from a selfish standpoint, you probably don't because that's a tough clubhouse to maintain unless they're bought into the program and they're there as a team. But it's also not a betterment for the players, right, Like, they're gonna be unhappy, but they're not getting their chances.
Speaker 3: You need to be honest with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talked about this called and I said, well, they're not going to other better schools right now.
Speaker 4: We talked about it last week. Yeah, yeah, they're not going to better schools.
Speaker 3: So they were playing. They're playing. They are where they are.
Speaker 2: You know, we all have that Peter principle where we reach our level of competence.
Speaker 3: Yep? Is that it? No? Okay, that was reaction.
Speaker 4: I want to see if let the two old guys, let the too old guys banter and keep going on.
Speaker 3: No, this is some Arizona football. Say. Brown was named to the Lot Impact Trophy watch List. This is composed of the top forty two defensive players in college football based on impacts on and off field performance performances. So maybe some some momentum for football. One.
Speaker 4: We haven't talked about you BA football in a hot minute. What's your expectations of the team next year?
Speaker 3: I think they should be around five six wins, the roughly five hundred at the end of the day. Okay, can you be a no, no, that that's that's that's the analytics talking in my head. I think this is a seven eight win team. Huh So.
Speaker 4: Who's who's who's who's this coming from?
Speaker 3: Who's bringing this bringing wins? Well, no, let's go.
Speaker 2: First, another team has five? Where's the three extra wins? And what heded?
Speaker 3: What part is? Looking at the schedule? This is a schedule that favors Arizona because I think it's seven or eight of these games in the state of Arizona.
Speaker 4: They don't have to leave the state of Arizona a lot. They still use this players that they have on that Arizona Are you saying it because you don't believe the Big twelve is a high end competitive Who.
Speaker 3: Thought Arizona state was going to go and win the Big twelve last season. Yeah, no, no, I don't think anybody. No one knew anyone on that roster outside of the quarterback in the running back.
Speaker 4: What's more surprising the season that you have A had with their expectations going in, or the season that a SU had with their expectations going in.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously it's going to be easy the way.
Speaker 2: You said that right away, So you're that's a three game difference, the three win difference for you. You had to get that six rightn five.
Speaker 3: And seven maybe five seven minimum? And then in your.
Speaker 2: Other side of the brain, what's what? Where is that from? Where is that coming from?
Speaker 3: Solely from the fact that they don't have to leave the state of Arizona. They're going to be real comfortable in this state.
Speaker 2: I think you said because of an Arizona grad now, and really they just got Brophy put on that schedule.
Speaker 3: They probably don't want to play Brophy.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, I'm pulling for I don't know, seven and five.
Speaker 3: Maybe what are you happy with? Seven and five? Yeah? Yeah, five?
Speaker 2: You know, the people say, oh, things are trending up, blah blah blah. They get into a bowl game, He'll stand in the year yeaha yeada yeah.
Speaker 3: So so looking at the seven five is realistic? Then was that seven and five realistic? Okay? Again, I say eight because go to the thing of the twelve are in the state of araas okay, Google, seventeen twelve games are in Arizona, seven of them being at home. One going up to tenp okay, because you have the schedule for the let's go, let's go.
Speaker 4: We'll get into win Weaver State, win Kansas State.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Okay, well, let's I don't know that's home? Right?
Speaker 4: Are you going past? I don't know it's a yes or it's a yes or win or loss. I don't know how good they are.
Speaker 3: This is the worst. Let's get a pick. You can't past? Okay? Why can I always read for come to Iowa State two and two versus Oklahoma State at home? Uh, let's go three and two? Uh b B y u at home?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: You at home? Three and three, he's at Houston four and three, at Colorado four and four versus Kansas at home?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: Uh five and four at Cincinnati. I'm six and four, six and four.
Speaker 3: Paul mcgan's Baylor Senior Day seven and four at Arizona State seven and five, the seven and four entering that last week, you never know.
Speaker 2: No, No, you're right, But you also don't know about the Kansas State and some of the games that we get right six and six.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 4: But they've got to get better, that's no question. Yeah, they've got to get better, and that that only comes with experience. And I think they will. I think they will. I think that he's got his stuff together. He knows what he needs to do to get better as a coach, and then he has some pretty good assistance that will help him to get to.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of exits, a lot of key exits that a lot of people saw. But there's also there was also a lot of entrants. And these are these are guys that won want to play for Brett Brennan. Yeah, and two that Brett Brandon wants. That's not to say that they didn't want last year's team.
Speaker 2: But let me try to use analogy that will fall flat. I know you think you're a good looking guy.
Speaker 3: No, I don't. Don't you think I'm on radio.
Speaker 4: Doesn't because I get a voice for print. I don't even know what I'm doing on radio. No, I always hope you say.
Speaker 2: Okay, so if you walk into a room, how many times have you been the best looking guy in that room?
Speaker 3: I don't want to answer this question. No, no, no, just every single time?
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, So that's your other brain that you were talking about height wins. I mean, you know how good looking you are, but guess what you're not. You're not comparing yourself to the other dudes in that room. Like this league, like this, we don't we deep down, we don't know how good those teams are. And when they put Arizona on that list and say this show is being done in Cincinnati, what are they say?
Speaker 3: A win win? Maybe? Yeah, I mean maybe off last year, I think yeah. I just it's strong.
Speaker 4: I don't know the conference well enough either, like you and Baylor, there hasn't been that. I mean, well, my point is that this was in this show the Baylor. It's a Homer way of looking at it. Arizona, Yeah, they weren't it good. That's a win. But I mean, if I walk into a room with people, I'm like, I should say this, but fishes if I if I'm walking to a room with people in Kansas and Kansas State Cincinnati. I feel like I got a pretty good chance of being pretty good looking at that.
Speaker 2: That's that's where Arizona have a pretty good chance of being pretty good chances of fifty fift We're gonna be the best looking.
Speaker 3: We're gonna be the last best looking football team.
Speaker 4: Everyone we've had. We've had this discussion before. Oh look, good play, good.
Speaker 3: Shot, you gotta help it on. It's uh yeah.
Speaker 4: On a different note, Arizona did win best looking people on campus.
Speaker 3: I saw that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was to beat out a su issue. But by their number two, I think they were never to sunshine. Maybe that looks good on you.
Speaker 4: He spends a lot of time on campus highlights, highlights, checking out highlights.
Speaker 3: It used to be I used to get that ten all the time. Leave me alone. I'm doing research, watching film.
Speaker 4: All right, Sorry, I keep Let's go. We gotta go, We gotta gold. You have more, Yeah, we got a minute.
Speaker 3: Former Arizona receiver Montana Lamonious Craig has signed with the Steelers. Oh cool, I was wondering about him former Arizona. Another former Arizona football player, Taylor Upshaw, signed with the Soon Sugar Schools. He'll be entering the indoor streat. The Nuggets point guard Wessell Russell Westbrook had surgery on his right hand, so he's probably played that last series with something wrong with his right hand, but there's a lot of other things that are wrong with his game. Tyree Halliburn's triple double uh led them to Game four win. They now lead three to one over the New York Knicks. There's another three one series out in the West, Thunder Timberwolves under looking at looking to close it out tonight. You need to do so. Yeah, that's tonight, I think so. Yeah, Yeah, we'll go go ahead and end it there, Steven.
Speaker 4: We gotta go and break Steve. Steve trying get all his pretzel shove mouth a potential guess tomorrow tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I guess today. We're not good enough.
Speaker 4: I have the ball tomorrow because we don't have We don't have a guest today. You text me, I told you did the South Mountain coach golf coach. No, no, yeah, but it's not too so related.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's true. Come on, you gotta face for radio, and I.
Speaker 4: Got a brain for nothing. Let's mush at this point. Are standing corrected?
Speaker 3: Here we go? Okay, let's go break.
Speaker 6: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest and table games to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 3: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 6: Discover with Soul Casino, Dell Soul, the Soul of Tucson. Are you ready enterprise so Fasco Yuki try?
Speaker 7: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot Com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorotle Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato rock He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Given a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 8: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier. Give them an award they can be proud of. They have trophies, plaques, acrylics, art class fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street, across the street from Pema College downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com at.
Speaker 3: Nova Home Loans.
Speaker 4: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BK nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to commitment to Lindrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change the nut notice.
Speaker 3: Did you know?
Speaker 9: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking to start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 3: As one of the.
Speaker 9: Leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at showtimecards dot com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust showtime cards for their passion.
Speaker 8: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call rich Recall five two oh seven to four to Zho twelve thirteen Rout, sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 10: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. US can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 3: Why is mining so important?
Speaker 11: It's the foundation of everything that defines the society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the mineral's eighth process that's flintlining is so.
Speaker 4: GONNIVM dot com.
Speaker 7: Looking for quality windows without the weight, come to the Window Depot. We carry a huge selection of mill guard windows in stock now and ready for pickup. Need something custom, no problem. From new construction to full home replacement. Will help you order the perfect mill guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor, the Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the Window deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your mill guard window.
Speaker 1: Experts breaking down all the xs at ohs. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Box Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to iron Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Seve Rivera, your blake eager you're one.
Speaker 3: So, how was Georgia wild business?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 4: Really good, real funny in new stuff. Because I've seen them a couple of times.
Speaker 3: The first time I've seen him, well, I'll say this, I've seen both him and Gabriel Glisiaz. I left a lot more at George Lopez. Oh really, I've seen you both of the guys a couple of times. George Lopez comes from a different era where they can push that push a certain line to where maybe people think it's uh controversial, maybe he would get him canceled. But since he's from that, he doesn't he doesn't know any better. Quote unquote did it? I'm sure I hit home in a couple of issues. Well, I mean, yeah, he connects with the Latinos, the Mexicans growing up.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm, which one was it? Which can you tell me a clean example?
Speaker 3: Well, back in the day, you're not afraid to quote unquote be the kid, you know, like like okay, he talked about you go to the to the store with your parents and he'll leave you. You don't listen to leave you, and you'll be that right there crying. Well, what I tell you, you better listen to time. It's true.
Speaker 4: I did that kind of with my son, not that specifically, but we went to Kmart was probably I'll tell you everything. I went to cab he started crying, wanted the president, blah blah blah whatever, and he just him and I he was like four and acted up and acted up. I said, you're never gonna You're never gonna come back with me through a store ever, if.
Speaker 3: You continue this, you continue to do this. So I had to carry him out. Can you scream? And keep?
Speaker 4: And guess what, it didn't happen again because he never went out with me.
Speaker 3: That's just what it was.
Speaker 2: It just carried out and it wasn't like you know when you get that look for your mom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought you were saying that was the last time I saw my son.
Speaker 4: He's a for adoption. Sorry, but it was very good. Yeah, very even that culture too, right, Yeah, absolutely, yeah, I mean that's that's really funny.
Speaker 3: I get a lot of big comedian and supposed to be here.
Speaker 4: Because it's this weekend was supposed to be they just added a second Tom Sigura show like it's and then you're opening a new place downtown where the brewery was.
Speaker 3: Well, who's to c he's a huge comedian? Really, who is he? When's he coming this? I don't know where. Guess my wife bought the tickets. I don't know him.
Speaker 4: Once he's hilarious, I saw I'm here once you go, well, yeah, that's why I'm not married anymore. That's why we'll say, that's why what of list.
Speaker 3: What else else? You didn't want to call?
Speaker 2: We have free time here five two zero four one six seventy four forty would appreciate a call.
Speaker 4: I got a topic to talk about with what you guys? Okay, And I know I go on tangents here. But so driving back from Phoenix State because I went to Kendrick Lamar concert and for half the listeners, I'm sure that's the person that you watched the Super Bowl that you can't understand anything you saying. And for other half, yes, he was that good live. So I'm driving back from Phoenix right arizonas have to be. And I've probably complained about this a lot of times on the show The Worst Drivers. What other state have you driven in that you go back and you go, man, that's that state's worse than our stay. Well, people will say California because it's so many people on the road. It's a vast amount. And I'm not talking like we're not talking downtown Tucson or it just I I'm just saying the whole way back, like no understanding of not staying in the fast light and moving over, how to just drive normally. You're zipping it like it's just it's infuriating. Where I drove from salt Lake to get here last week because you said, either you get here on time or you're never on my show again. So I came from salt Lake City last week. Salt Lake, Utah was wonderful. The free limits eighty miles per hour. Nobody's in the fast like, it's so much space there. I mean even when you look at me, it's fast. Yeah, yeah, you can see that. It's like nobody's on the road today. Yeah, I mean, salt Lake's a pretty big city, right, It's still in salt Lake in the city, like people still haven't understanding how to drive on the highway. I mean, how many times I drove everywhere to let me ask you this question. How many times do you sit at a red light here in town and you watch three people run the red light.
Speaker 3: Going through the intersection. You're like, what are these people? What are you doing? Yeah?
Speaker 4: This is a notorious how many pedestrians get here here on a regular basis? So like what I'm just it's on the pedestrians too, because they're running across absolutely not you know, thinking that everyone's going to stop for them because you're listen, I'm gonna beat you because you're I'm in a car, so try it.
Speaker 3: That's a good question. Probably.
Speaker 2: I know certain areas of the city of the States that I've been in our notorious or where. I want to know that Tows, New Mexico in and out is just unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Tows. Okay, yeah, but it's not.
Speaker 4: It's not a Metropolitan's just I'm saying, like purely based bad drivers. Houston awful, hated driving Ustay, Yeah, okay, I mean New York, but that's a completely different monster. You ever driven in Seattle? Fort uh, Fort Lauderdale, Miami awful? Seattle? Yeah, just done.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I refuse. I went to Coe, Sattle. Let me tell youse. I went through twenty three years coming to the team, blah blah blah. I never drove. I always got a taxi to my hotel and back because the hills and blah blah blah had a park.
Speaker 3: Blah blah. I said, I'm not gonna worry about this. I'll bit other people worry about it. Dropped me off.
Speaker 4: But did you did something happen though? No, No, just Y refuse, it was just a phobia. Just drove in San Francisco. No problems used in the LA No problem San Francisco to me was like one of those things that I just wouldn't want to do.
Speaker 3: San Francisco is a difficult city to drive.
Speaker 2: And that was fine because we we went to you know, cal Berkeley of course, in Stanford there, so it was easy to get her on the bridges and blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: But I wasn't going kind of crazy places. Yeah, But Seattle to me was just kind of a fear of it. I don't know why, hmm, I don't know.
Speaker 2: And that's probably the only place because drove into New York a few times.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just I would.
Speaker 4: Rather drive on the other side of the road in the UK than drive in Arizona. I can't stand it well.
Speaker 2: And the roads are so narrow, so small and narrow and broken.
Speaker 3: Yeah. True.
Speaker 2: Once you get past that repaired bridge that they're doing right now, you think, oh God, what's going to come up next? Yeah, And if you have to catch a flight and you have like thirty minutes, you ain't gonna catch that flight, that's like going because it was at State Farm Stadium, right, So you took the two to two, so you missed the Citio, which is great, right, The two to two.
Speaker 4: Now phenomenal. You just got to get back on. I ten and then we It took us forty five minutes to go ten miles. Yeah, minutes, five miles, and I mean, I'm not fun to drive with at that point.
Speaker 3: You're not fun here.
Speaker 4: I'm not fun here. This is why I talk about it a lot. I have very few friends, and I don't know why you keep inviting me back on. But it's just it's miserable. I can't stand it. It drives you get it insane.
Speaker 2: I did that to watch a Cardinals game. It was like a Thursday night game, and I couldn't believe it took me that long to get from the point the two or two north.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Phoenix and everybody said a little it's a concrete jungle. I mean you it takes forever to get across town. Yeah, absolutely, but I mean I will. You got to give credit to Phoenix, Like there's a problem, they're going to find a solution, and it's going to create another problem. They're going to find another solution, but they'll get things.
Speaker 2: Well, isn't there another like not a fourtal four, but there's they're kind of movie starting down lower.
Speaker 4: I did have a conversation yesterday somebody I can't name off the record about the potential of putting in a high speed train between Phoenix and Tucson. No, no, no, there's a little bit more attraction right now. And with what just happened in Florida, they did the same thing. It's a humongous success. And they didn't have to build a new track. They've got Miami to Orlando, I believe.
Speaker 3: Oh really yeah.
Speaker 4: And it was the same argument that people there have here and now that they can show that was why would you not want a high street if I can jump on the train right now or last night and go to the venue right and come back, or fly into Tucson and go to Phoenix or flying Do you think you're a forty twoish, yeah, somewhere around it. Well, what age will you be when it happens? If it happens, oh, I'll be dad, that's my point. But that's just because I've lived a hard life. See if I don't know what it's but tomorrow, I'm just every morning I go, I'm here.
Speaker 3: This is amazing. I don't even have any friends. Yeah, I don't think it. My wife's still here. Plus my parents are still talking to me.
Speaker 4: They were in good shape, right, all right, So anyway, sorry, I had to get that off my chest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. That's a good question. Denver was kind of tough. But Denver, actually I haven't driven, actually driven it. But you've been in been there. I've been in a car in Denver.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we lived in gold I mean I went to school, I went to college in Denver. But it's different now, it's totally the metropolitans. I haven't I haven't driven. I haven't been back.
Speaker 3: And like I think I went to my alumni game like nine ten years ago. Maybe I don't know. It's been a long time.
Speaker 4: I haven't driven in Denver in Forever, right, So, but from Golden to Dent downtown where our campus, our campus was, you've seen our campus right next to the Pepsi Center if you're in rush hour at all, just it's a three hour drive, especially now it's it's a lot of people live there, lots of people. Yeah, it ain't cheap anymore. No, No, no, it hasn't been cheap. And I don't know. My senior year college was the last time, and that was twenty oh. Yeah, that seems like yesterday. I mean, yeah, yeah, yeah, two thousand and four. Fine, yeah, yeah, sorry. I just thought you've been around a lot, and you know, you've seen a lot of things. So it is a it's a question that I want to ask you, and I said about on the drive back. Okay, I might get my guyl. Oh, that's what we need to We're all gonna be quite. Steve's working on his guests for tomorrow. Take a moment of silence. Yeah, well, I so we're talking to going on tangents.
Speaker 3: We've kind of talked about how Oklahoma City, Indiana is the worst case scenario for the NBA as far as viewership. How do you fix USA? That's a really good question once to say that again. One, so you we've talked about how Oklahoma City, Indiana is worst case scenario as far as viewership for the NBA. How do you fix that? Not only with that that matchup in particular, if that happens overall, how do you fix the NBA?
Speaker 4: Right now?
Speaker 2: I don't know because I guess the viewership all for the whole season was bad and just the trade with U the l and illastrating. Yeah, yeah, but it was it was bad for most of the year, right, and supposedly this is supposed to be an amazing offseason for chaos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think. I mean, that's a really good question. You've got the m v P playing, right, I think you just have to. I mean, as bad as it sounds, you have to. You have to push that as hard as you possibly can. Right, Because if I'm a if I'm a casual fan, if I'm a fair weather fan, I want to tune in to watch the best player in the league play, right, if even if I don't know much about them, if I don't, I want to watch that best player at play, I think you just have to go that route. I mean, okay, s he's super talented. There's some media around them. Obviously, they have a marketing campaign, their national televised commercials that that Core three is popular.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't watch enough NBA game anymore to think about it. It's the same basketball to me. I mean, I don't know anybody that watches or very few people that watch the regular season, because you'll catch get caught up in the NBA playoffs. This is a loan, is a three month thing. I mean I said it before.
Speaker 4: I mean, hockey and NBA have a I think they have a playoff problem just because it's so long, and now you have now you have a mid season tournament.
Speaker 3: NBA. There's just a lot. It's a lot going on. So do you maybe shorten it? You don't have a tournament.
Speaker 4: I don't want to see listen. My argument has always been this in it. It was the same way with NFL. I don't want to see teams that are sub five hundred in the playoffs like that. That does that's a watered down product to me. Well look look out. You wouldn't talk about this before.
Speaker 2: And King Clark is out for two weeks, right, she said, let's see how the viewership is for wn b WA. Know that she's out for a while. She's not supposed to play tonight, but she's traveling with the team and people are lining up to get an autograph.
Speaker 3: Just because I mean, would you would you? Would you do that?
Speaker 4: Just would am I going to travel to? I listened. I think we've had this conversation. I was never really that. I never really I kind of regret it because I was around everybody, but I was just never somebody that I was just gonna ask you that, do you have one? Do I have autographs?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: The only autograph like I have Bob Fellers. Bob Fellers, And the reason why I have bought Fellers is because it's a core memory from my dad and I when I was walking at High Corbett and then he came out when I was playing in the north Woods League when I was on Waterloo and I got his autograph again, that was just kind of how many years different? Because that must have been the seven lot seventies. What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: What do you think I was born?
Speaker 4: You're a sixteen year old? How do you do general arithmetic? That she degree in your faith?
Speaker 12: Beer?
Speaker 4: Damn man, that's right, I don't I didn't say that for yeah, see hanging out with me perfect Yeah, No, I mean I have no argument. It's yea eighties whatever, ninety Yeah, yeah, uh, it was probably I would say we got his autograph.
Speaker 3: In like eighty eight maybe it was yeah somewhere and you were I was in I was an age, yeah, yeah, but I was young.
Speaker 4: Again and then I got to get in when I was in college in the play in the summer league. Do you have what what's you're what you're like, the latest autogram autograph do you have?
Speaker 3: You have very old? Well, not very old. Probably the last one I have, uh is maybe Umar Bollows. And that's what because because I was I was a student. YEA last one I got when I wasn't a student was probably the twenty fourteen Arizona football team.
Speaker 4: Big football had all their signatures. I'm gonna ask you the same question, but I want to tell I just want to get this. So Gary Carter was my manager in high agent Ports Saint Lucy and obviously so I won't you know, it's fine. I mean you look up two thousand and six, Okay, So yeah, so I got him as my manager, and then Roger Clemens was my pitching coach in winter ball that year, right. But it was a different case with Gary because every time we would travel, you would have tons of people trying to get his autograph and it was mostly guys our age, right, And he would not sign because he would sign for every kid if there was a kid in line. He would never get the same thing with my dad, I guess, right, But you're getting around and Pedro was similar to that Martinez at the time, but the older guys were trying to get it so they could turn into profit, right, and he just didn't want totally get it. Yeah, So getting to that point, how about you have you ever.
Speaker 3: Good question?
Speaker 4: We've got a good break Listen. Did we come back because I want to talk about the draft piece of this time?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, No, we'll come back. Maybe get a couple of calls. Who's your favorite or your most prized signature and how you got it?
Speaker 3: Whatever? Yeah, if you're an Arizona men's.
Speaker 2: Basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 13: Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 3: Arizona Health, of course.
Speaker 5: To feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 3: Leading edge and exercise EQUI on.
Speaker 8: Twenty seconds just west of will not what's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 2: Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 9: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 5: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose.
Speaker 3: The equipment you need to reach your goals.
Speaker 5: Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of will Not.
Speaker 13: Craving, Tucson's best burger. The Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth Anniversary Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are way.
Speaker 12: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's piece need more money in your pocket, Let's have some means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less is More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union, where less is More federally insured by NCUA, an equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteenth. Finding want to take part in the show Call up Steen now went five two oh four, one six seventy more.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to a about here on Fox Sports. Toteenfere your blank eager?
Speaker 3: You got one?
Speaker 2: We could controlled We were talking about signatures, but you want.
Speaker 3: To do yeah us.
Speaker 4: So we were talking about like getting who's your most storied signature, favorite signature that you have so.
Speaker 3: That's a good question. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't have many. I have loot stuff because I either it was given to me. I never asked him to sign anything for me. Sean stuff, Sean Elliott stuff because I just have it because I covered him. Richard Jefferson, I don't really have much. I really don't have much Pete Rose stuff. I do have Pete Roast. He was my huge Pete Rose, but not so much anymore as you but your more post career, you know, he's actually.
Speaker 3: Very much so.
Speaker 2: And I have a lot of his stuff, but I purchased, not that I asked for an autograph.
Speaker 3: I don't ask for.
Speaker 4: Have you ever have you ever been to the point where you're like, I need to ask for this autograph because you're in a different world than everybody.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I do it not professionally, but I do it, and I give it to people that YE would cherish it because you know, for me, I don't really care, but you know it's a gift to someone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's their person. They've watched ye forever.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I think the one I have the most is doctor Drian and Snoop Dogg. My mom got that far. So I want to ask, I don't forget that.
Speaker 2: Although you're on your on the ball, who's this hey?
Speaker 3: Uh Jesse, Jesse, what's going on? Jesse?
Speaker 4: Hey? I got a clearly cool autograph.
Speaker 3: It's a it's an autograph bounce check from Chris Rogers.
Speaker 4: Chris Rogers, he's got he's got a thing for Chris. I'm not too sure.
Speaker 2: The funny thing about it, there's you know the Facebook Areason a wildcout basketball That's right, that's right. So they pushed this guy. They put Chris Is, they put uh Williams. Williams tell me Derek, you know the other Williams who was here with the Chase budding ere and I just lost him, I tell you, and I covered for two years. It'll come to me and Chris Rogers, do you remember who these guys are?
Speaker 3: Why are you putting his gun?
Speaker 4: They weren't very significant in the program, although Chris was because he was he kind of.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, No, he was a yeah anyway, he was a highly touted He.
Speaker 2: Was coming in and then things you know, came in. He got kicked out the team. He had the petition to come back. He brought him back. You know, it is what it was welcome to Jason. Tell me you're looking.
Speaker 4: Williams two thousand and seven ish.
Speaker 3: God, but go ahead to your point. Oh no, no.
Speaker 4: So my second question was this because I cannot wrap my head around it, and somebody wants to call and have this discussion, I honestly just don't get it. It's not I'm not knocking anybody here. People that travel to the NFL draft, Oh yeah, we talked about this stuff. I don't get it. And so I've been asking people like what because to me, you're spending all that money on that trip. I need to try. I just I'm the person that has to understand whether it's right or wrong. I just need an answer. Nobody can give me an answer like this is why we do it as a nostalgia. But you know people like that, I don't know. So why are you asking this question if you don't know anybody like?
Speaker 3: That's confusing to me. I don't get.
Speaker 2: Do you have another issue, like, let's say, why do you go to the Breeders' cup or sense?
Speaker 4: To me, there's an actual there's an event happening. Why are you going somewhere to listen to the commissioners say? And now with a twenty seven pick, the Kansas City Chiefs take an offensive lineman.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a plot for every there's a prefer you pot I should be knocking that because I guess it's a huge what's your favorite?
Speaker 3: Where you've been to that you had? Marcus? Marcus? Marcus?
Speaker 2: You'll get a call. Hello, you're on the airline of the ball.
Speaker 3: Who's this? Yeah, this is Nico. What do you got for us? Hey?
Speaker 14: Man talking? I got to man, I got a Bobby Waite signed jersey.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's one's favorite.
Speaker 14: I don't know if it's one he wasn't he the Scooby listened to the show.
Speaker 3: Then Wow, Bobby Wade's way better by the way for.
Speaker 14: That exactly man. And second one, I got a Sarah Underwood autograph on a magazine.
Speaker 3: Playboy model, I think, is it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So let me ask you, did you what was the purpose of getting the autograph? The first one the football player to later and keep and sell?
Speaker 3: Or what was the purpose?
Speaker 14: I got him for birthday?
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 3: Okay, you didn't get them, but someone got them for you.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 14: I don't know how I got the Playboy one, but I got when I was fifteen years old.
Speaker 4: You got it with just fifteenth that's about right. He was doing his research. Yeah, yeah, he was doing his research.
Speaker 3: Okay, No, cool, cool and a wan.
Speaker 14: Man, you're out of control thinking they're gonna win seven games.
Speaker 3: Man, I like it. I'll like it. I'll come back after after my little excursion and you know, and I'll just I'll rub it in all you'll.
Speaker 2: I think, is he out of it? I think he's out of it in taking eight seven? Is maybe okay?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 14: Hey, man, if I learned anything following Arizona football, man, they're like a woman. That's crazy. Man. They break your heart most of the time. Man, they're not going to win seven games.
Speaker 3: Are they? Well, well, the level of hot, because there's a chart for that.
Speaker 14: Well, to me, Arizona football is hot, you know, but then I might show up at home and clothes will be.
Speaker 3: On the front. Yeah yeah, Burding, do you get an autograph on that? Thanks man, thanks, thank good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We still take some calls, guys, this sort of segment. Right, we got about eighty minutes, seven minutes something like that.
Speaker 3: Six minutes.
Speaker 4: We're gonna give six.
Speaker 2: Oh five four one, six seventy four forty uh our graph any.
Speaker 3: No, I mean it's kind of I don't know. It's tough one. The autographing the.
Speaker 2: Things I would never resell, I give you no, no, no, they're more meaningful to me than they are not.
Speaker 3: So I this this is a pet peeve two.
Speaker 4: Like, if you're watching I'm a big antiques road show guy. I love Antiques Roadshow. We play a game estimating. You put twenty bucks in right, you can win twenty dollars, but you've got to be the closest estimated on want it. And it blows your mind sometimes because you're like twelve undred dollars and they're like eighty thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: What uh?
Speaker 4: And then I also watch pond Shop a little bit. What's it about pond ponsars? Thank you one? I should know that, but it kills me on pond Stars when you see somebody come in with like this is my great great grandfather's he was in the Civil War. He's a Union you know, soldier. This is his diary. And they're like, well, we can't give you anything. We'll give you a hundred bucks. And it's like, okay, I'll take a hundred dollars, Like how do you get rid of that piece of it. That's something that I can never understand. Now, if you have, like if you've got a Money or a Monday or Pacabia, if you've got a Picasso, something in that realm that you're you're down on your luck, I get it, like you're selling.
Speaker 3: It even then, Well, no, I do that. I'd sell that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's your favorite artist out of those four Money, Monday, Pacabia or Picasso.
Speaker 3: Can't trick Lamar.
Speaker 4: He does paint pretty much, all right. Sorry, Yeah, I don't know what's so for that stuff. I was because there isn't meaning to me. No, it's going to gain it's an investment.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I went to rust, I bought it for twenty bucks and I took it in. It's oh really yours, Maybe give me a good price, ye, But signatures mean more to me than not with me.
Speaker 4: If it's a meaningful singer, like you signed that book for me, Like, I'll never sell that book unless you guys give me more than twenty dollars for it.
Speaker 3: If you're listening, you call it right now.
Speaker 4: It's not the twenty five bucks, but you guys na, Yeah, no, but that that stuff I wouldn't that's core right, Yeah, and that's okay.
Speaker 3: It's kind of gift to yourself through me. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like I got my dad, I think it's d D Ramone from the Ramones autograph signed book, and gave it to him for his birthday and then I thought about it afterwards and I was like, it's cool because it's the Ramones, right, But but does he care?
Speaker 3: Does it doesn't mean is it a good book? Does he care? Is it a good book? Does he care about the remote? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean we're punk kids. Okay, Did you want to talk about punk music?
Speaker 2: No, we'll have to do that eventually because Slummer's going to be a lot like that.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a lot of fun. Do you want to talking about I don't know what. You can talk about? Your favorite Carpenter song? You guys are huge Carpets fan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Mama's and Papa's. That's a great story though Mama's Papa's anyway, that'll be for another day. Ones like I have no ref and standey this band?
Speaker 3: So Kendrick Lamar, Yeah, Kendrick Lamar, So she didn't understand me. No, I will here.
Speaker 4: Maybe this is a little bit off topic, but I'm going to ask you guys. Okay, so last night at the concert, Kendrick Lamar right, the girl behind us knows every single word, right, which is great. I mean KT obviously lots of hits, right, literally sings every single word and one you probably understand what I'm saying here. She was a white woman that didn't miss any words. What is your feeling in that moment? Is are they allowed to say every single word? And my answer is always gonna be no, like that's that's not for me to decide.
Speaker 3: Knowing what he says. Yeah, and then there's one specific specific.
Speaker 4: Word, Oh yeah, of course that I don't think from a reference standpoint, But in that moment, not shouldn't see you look back?
Speaker 3: You had? My wife did? Okay, I'm not sure. I'm uncomfortable with a not uncomfortable is is hard because it's a song. He does say in the song you're just singing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, I think Steve giving us that this might not be screw up for me. Getting back to sports, what are we looking forward to uh this weekend watching well, we'll see well baseball when day start to Thursday, Friday, Friday at the Monico. If everybody's listening. Go out there to watch party, be a blast.
Speaker 3: You know that question you asked about sports that you would wish you would watch more, and you kind of what, I forget what you what? Support? You said? Women's rugby. Yes, u f L starts, I believe starts their playoffs this week. That's a good that's a fun league to watch that I don't And and Birmingham they're going for five straight titles from from the u s f L to the merger to four or five.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure. It's like it's that's a second. It's like I get watching minor league football team and there's nobody in the crowd.
Speaker 3: There's nobody. I don't not a knock one.
Speaker 4: I like that you said that if it's Indoors Football Championship, then I'm all in, right because it's a different sport to me. That's just like a it's a minor league football. We gotta go yeah, gony to put you on the spot and have you been to a Sugar Skulls game?
Speaker 3: Or of course, okay, good, you're supporting loclah blah blah blah, obviously, but think what my job is if I there's a good answer whether you let dealers don't.
Speaker 4: I love that. Great way to end the show, guys, awesome job.
Speaker 3: Thanks everybody.
Speaker 2: We're gonna Dave silver and tomorrow with a probably a pretty good guest or two. Thanks a bunch for my two years my return.
Speaker 3: Thanks