Speaker 1: The right fart.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back, and with it an annual postseason tradition scam is back.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 2: This is sax and Cakes in the A app Go with Broway. Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine, eighty seven two five seven now. While the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app. We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven e LA Sports. It's Tim Kats and Steve Sachs.
Speaker 4: It's a must win win day on a five seventy LA Sports. No other way to put it down two games to one in this best of five NLGS. The Dodgers must win tonight in San Diego to force a Game five back at Dodgers Stadium. Good morning, Tim Kate, Steve Saxson. You here on a five to seventy LA Sports reacting to Game three last night. The debacle that was that second inning in which the Padres scored six runs. The Dodgers defense has a lot to be desired in that second inning, and the Dodgers made a comeback thanks to a grand slam from Taoscar Hernandez the next inning, but just one base hit after the third inning for the Dodgers as a twos cannot get anything going offensively last night after that grand slam from Tao, as the Dodgers lose six to five and now down two games to one in this best of five series, with Game four tonight a bullpen game for the Dodgers Saxy. What meanwhile, Dylan sees on three days rest will be going for the San Diego Padres Mike Shilt if he were at a poker table right now, you kind of feel like he's pushing his chips all in as he wants this thing to be over with with his best starter on the mound, even though he's going on really short rest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, go well, go ahead and push those chips in, because I think this advantage goes to the Dodgers. A fresh guy out there on the mound with Dylan Cees certainly is going to be the case, because three days rest much different than when you get the five days, especially if you tack on the course of the season. This could wear on him pretty quick. The Dodgers could get to him early. And remember the bullpen game is it can be a monster for the opposing team because you know, you see a guy for an inning or two and then he's gone. You got to re set for the next guy. You gotta get you know, dialed into him, and then he's gone. The only the only question is is there going to be one link in that chain that happens to break. If that's if that happens, then everything can come tumbling down. And that's the risk you take with the Penn game.
Speaker 4: Dylan Cees pitched Game one on Saturday night at Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers came back and won that game seven to five, but Dylan Cees win three in a third innings, gave up five runs on six hits, struck out five walk to but he threw eighty two pitches. And this was on Saturday night, so he's had Sunday, Monday, Tuesday to get rested and come back tonight. It's short rest, it's late in the season. It's not like he threw fifty pitches and came out in a situation in which they were trying to rest him for a possible Game four or five. He threw eighty two pitches, and now he's coming back on three days rest to come out against a Dodgers team that faced him pretty well on Saturday night. It's not like he's stimy them and had their number, and he's gonna come back and do more of the same like you Darvish did in Game two. The Dodgers have seen him a lot in the last two weeks. They saw him weeks ago Dodger Stadium in the final season of the final regular season meeting between these two teams. They're gonna see Dylan Ceaes now for the third time in three weeks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's not a secret anymore in the amount of times that he's gone out there to answer the call. He takes the ball all the time, thirty three starts the last two years. He's a guy that's near two hundred innings the last couple of years, one hundred and eight, little over one hundred and eighty nine this year. And you know he can get in fits and bouts with trouble as far as throwing strikes. There's a couple of years not too long ago, where he's led the league in walks. So he's the kind of a guy that you could wear on him a little bit.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 5: You mentioned how many pitches he had in his last game. He can get into it two times like this where the Dodgers can stretch him out a bit, and if that's the case, that'll be good for them.
Speaker 4: David Veasse, our Dodger insider, who was up late last night taking your calls on Dodger Talk and doing Dodger postgame, will join us in about twenty five minutes from San Diego. We'll have Dodgers on deck starting at five pm. First pitch. Game four tonight is at six to eight. Dylan c who we're talking about, on the mound for the Padres. The Dodgers are going to go with an opener and what will be a bullpen game for Dave Roberts in this game. For let's go back out to the phones. A lot of Dodger fans passionate about their Dodger team. We love that and certainly want to weigh in and react to what happened last night and what has happened so far in this NLD. Yes, Oscar and north Ridge thanks for being patient on this Wednesday morning. How you doing, Oscar?
Speaker 6: Hey doing good fellas. One thing you guys mentioned enthusiasm a lot. And when you guys talked about Mookie walking back to the dugout after his home run, I don't know if anyone caught it, but you guys mentioned but he started walking back, and I'm like, what are you doing? Like why aren't you staying on base? Running the bases kind of like standing your ground in a sense when they're reviewing a bang bang play at the base.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'll let you guys talk on that. But aside from that, sex, I love you man. When I imitate my dad. You're one of the guys on the list of the old school Dodgers, and as a fan, you you make me feel better about today and hopefully Friday, so the Dodgers can do it. Last season, last regular season series with the Padres, we lost game one. People were freaking out. I was part of the Panic Brothers myself, and they came back and won both games. But but yeah, go Dodgers. I love you guys, all right.
Speaker 4: Appreciate the phone call, Oscar. So I'm doing in gloom in Saxy you're mister positive.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, Timmy, that's why we we kind of sharpen each other.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, all right, Darkness, I get you going yesterday with that text, Bro. I hope that I know you did.
Speaker 4: You got me fired up. You got me fired up. And then all of a sudden they come back in there. It's a six y five game. I'm like, oh, yeah, here we go, here we go, and then the Dodgers' offense disappeared like a magician.
Speaker 5: Tim Don't you think doesn't doesn't our fans think as well that man, it's time for a shift, isn't it. Don't you think some things are gonna start coming the Dodgers way?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 5: I mean these things go in cycles, so obviously, I mean it's so apparent that throughout the course of the year, it's it's it happens so many times, it happens every time. So you just wonder when the clock is going to tick the other way, you know, tick for the Dodgers, it might start to I got a good feeling about it. I just I just do. I think this Penn game is what they need.
Speaker 4: Let's hope it happens tonight. Richard and the OC joins us here on Saxon Kates in the morning.
Speaker 3: Hi, Richard, hey to.
Speaker 7: Go and listen Sellas. I just want to let you know, I just I'm not a Dodger fan. I just started listening to your radio station and I seem to turn it back to you guys all the time. So one of your guys prompts on that. Anyway, I just what I think your Dodgers should do is stop always worrying about every time you talk about Altani. You guys mentioned the Angels, and you guys are like, you know, you and Angels have won the same amount of real series in the last twenty five years. You guys, you guys needed to settle down and do your own business, stop talking to other teams, and go win something, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Richard appreciate the phone call. UH, an Angel fan, maybe a little disheartened to see, oh showy Otani wearing Dodger blue now and having the season then.
Speaker 5: I don't know about you, but I haven't had the Angels come out of my mouth one time to help you.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 4: I think I mentioned the fact that he spent six years in Anaheim and didn't make the postseason once I said that, But that's just a fact, not harping on the fact that he wasted six years of his career in Anaheim not making any posts seasons. But here he is in his first postseason. That's a fact. He hasn't played in a October game in his entire major league career, which is now year number seven. This isn't a player freshover from Japan like a Yoshinobu Yamamoto who's now faced in his first October postseason and we saw the results in game one. Now this is a guy who's been here, played in a lot of games one MVPs, and is now tasting his first postseason or we're seeing what he's doing in his first post.
Speaker 3: We dig the passion though he can say that, he can say that that's okay.
Speaker 4: Appreciate the phone called Jesse and Witty or his next up here on a five seventy Hi Jesse, Hey.
Speaker 10: Good morning guys five to nine of Athletic one sixty Patch show. If you guys sing.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys first and foremost, I just want.
Speaker 10: To go ahead and say what a great job Dave Roberts has been doing.
Speaker 1: Visit now, Walker Bule.
Speaker 10: I don't think he's done that throughout the whole season and if Brims leave him then in a big situation. Was was big on my fun the way that I saw it, especially with all the postseason blunders that he had in the past, but but also even game one, all the right moves that he made, everything seemed to work out. But man, the defense that we had in game two on a game six. But but it all started off with honestly, with that Manny Machado that that they say Walker Bueler had him for the k and he just reached out and got one. And it just baseball God hates us right now.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 10: But hopefully we can turn around in this game and uh they show some emotion, some real fire, some emotion, especially coming from rookie Beds, show Hey, they need to get it and get in front of the lead. Uh, they need to get out there and uh just just show out man, shut up the crowd early, and let's get this game and bring this back to LA and then finish it out. Man a little brother, man, we need to We need to smack him in the butt.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 10: Someone's boss baby.
Speaker 3: No doubt about it.
Speaker 4: Jesse appreciate he brought up something interesting. I'm glad he did. In the fifth inning, Walker Buehler was back out there for the Dodgers. It's still a six to five game, and Dave Robbers came out of the dugout. And when Dave comes out of the dugout, it's to pull a pitcher. I mean, Mark Pryor, the pitching coach is the one that comes out and talks strategy. If it's a pin hitter or if it's a situation we want to just got to get a break in the game and stop some momentum. That's Mark Pryor. But when Dave Roberts comes out, he's making a change. And Dave Roberts came out of the dugout and you can see it in Walker Bueller's face. He put the glove over his face and probably mumbled something. And when Dave Roberts came out, he kept talking through his glove to Dave and communicating with his manager, and Dave Roberts shook his head. There was a conversation back and forth. Will Smith got invall briefly, and Dave Roberts turned around and went back to the Dodgers dugout. He left Walker Buehller out there and I don't mean that in a bad way.
Speaker 3: No, I loved it. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 5: That shows you, That shows you that Dave Roberts is not so set in his ways. He's going to be a little malleable with this whole thing and say, Okay, he might be thought about taking a out when he's going out there, but guess what with the body language with what would you know Walker was maybe saying to him, he bought it and it was the right move.
Speaker 3: It was the right move. So I love it.
Speaker 5: I love the fact that you know he's not that set that the things can change, and he listened.
Speaker 3: To his player.
Speaker 5: He believes in what his players are putting out there, and so I love it.
Speaker 3: I thought it was a great move.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't against the bottom of the lineup of the Padres, it wasn't the lineup turning over. It was to tease Profar Machado, Merrill and Boguard's who he faced in that fifth inning, and he got to stay in third time around face. Absolutely love it. It's one of those gut decisions because we talk about it all the time. Zaxy, the analytics, the computers will tell.
Speaker 3: You take him out.
Speaker 5: By the way, you know what, that is so overrated, that that is so overrated, that thing about well.
Speaker 3: Third time around, you can't pick that is kiss my, you.
Speaker 5: Know what that is so overrated, so so in that theory, no picture would ever go seven innings, no pitcher would ever have a complete game.
Speaker 3: You know what, that's crazy. You know another thing is crazy.
Speaker 5: Sometimes these guys are right on the verge of pitching a no hitter, and they bring him out of the game, just sitting the dugout. Let him finish the game.
Speaker 4: Come on, Saxy, pitch coowns, Come on, were crazy?
Speaker 3: Another thing?
Speaker 5: Four and two thirds? The guy's rolling and his they go and they bring him out of the game. Are you that deep? Are you that smart? Let me he can't get one more.
Speaker 4: Out, Let him get the let him get the decision, get them all out. Yes, let's go to Paul and Huntington Beach has been waiting patiently. Thanks for joining us here on Saxon Kate's and A and my Paul.
Speaker 11: Hey man, they say my call. Guys, appreciate it. You know, I can't say enough about Walker Bueler last night. It's not like the padres put on a laser show that was ground ball after freaking ground ball after ground ball. And the thing about it is is that so much of like you know, fandom, you know, get on the Dodgers about their emotion and their fiery. There is no one on the whole damn roster more fiery than Walker Buehler. And that dude kept his crap together when the world was falling apart, and all he did was just keep on grinding and keep on dealing. I can't say enough about walk Wood he did last night, and I mean to not be able to spit the hook as a killer, but dang dude, that guy was freaking awesome and I'm so proud of him, and I hope he continues to be a Dodger. But you know what, man, this Dodger team all darn year. Look, when you take it to Dodgers, you got to speak out of both sides of your mouth. They won ninety eight games, number one seed, best record, all the things, and they were so freaking frustrating all season long. You would think this team would win one hundred and twenty games as good as they are, and last night his case in point. They are right there on the verge of taking a game and then go to sleep. That being said, as frustrated as I am, and I want to throw these guys overboard. That tells me they're likely going to win tonight. So there you go, have a good one.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it, Paul.
Speaker 4: He just brought up something interesting, and I'm glad he did because so much happened last night. And these callers have been great so far this morning, and love it, and they keep jarring these things that I'm kinda keep bringing up to you, Saxy. Is is the momentum the Dodgers down six to one, ta Oscar hits the Grand Slam, It's six to five. Changes it, but absolutely, but the momentum was lost after that. Walker Buehler kept it going by putting up a zero in the third, by putting up a zero in the fourth, by putting up a zero in the fifth inning. He did his job the rest of the way after getting no help in the second inning. Yeah, and the Dodgers didn't build on it. They did not keep tacking on runs, keep getting hits and getting after the padres true, And you.
Speaker 5: Know, I love what Walker did yesterday. You know, you look at the numbers, you say, huh, yeah, but you know what, it's not all about that. There was a lot of soft hit balls that could have.
Speaker 3: Been turned around. You know, injuries were the reason too.
Speaker 5: I don't want to make excuses, but I'm saying I like the body language of walk Walker wanting to stay in there. He's a fighter, and I'll tell you what, he looked very healthy to me as far as he was attacking the own. His curveball had a lot of bite and depth on it, and his slider was great. Look, you can you can be very very successful with three good pitches in the big leagues. And I think if he's he's he's kind of rounding those things out. I think his fastball at times is great, and especially when he pitches that ball up and in to left tanders, he kind of stifles what they can do. And and I just think, I hope the Dodgers sign him and take him on for you know, they're gonna get a good deal on him. Walker knows it because of the injuries and whatnot, But but get him there, keep more. He's comfortable, and you're gonna see this guy really turn into something great the next five years.
Speaker 3: I really believe that.
Speaker 4: It must have been adrenaline that was pumping last night because his fastball had a little bit more life on it.
Speaker 3: He was phenomenal to me.
Speaker 4: Ninety seven win. He hasn't been getting up in the mid all he hit nineties. I think he hit ninety seven a couple of times. And and what I like best about is, you know, he was mostly working the fastball in the cutter or the slider, if you will, and then he started throwing that twelve to six curveball is short and snappy with depth to it. That's a great pitch for him, especially when he hits the bottom of the zone against right handed hitters.
Speaker 3: I love that. I think that's a great pitch for him.
Speaker 5: And if he can start, you know, rounding these into form and use them regularly off of each other, I mean no telling where he's gonna go.
Speaker 4: Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is our number. We got a lot of Dodger fans on hold that want a way in and we love it. We will love the passion, we love the excitement, We love your fandom for Dodger baseball, and we're gonna get to you. David Vesin is gonna check in as well, it's Sax and Case and the Am.
Speaker 3: We react to Game three last night.
Speaker 4: What happened in the second inning, the Dodgers inability to get a hit after that tay Oscar Hernandez grand slam in the third. They had the opportunities to get back in the game. It was a one run game from the third in and on and they just could not tack on more. We'll get to your phone calls David Vase and Steve's keys for Game four. It's all coming up right here in m FI seventy LA Sports, Sax and kateson AM here on five seventy LA sports. Must win game tonight for the Dodgers Game four, the NLDS first pitch is six eight right here on your home a show, Hey Otani and the Dodgers a FFI seventy LA Sports coming up at the top of the hour. It's calling Cowherd at now and Rogan and Rodney takeover Petrol some money, a flex alert starting at two leading up to Morongo Casino. Dodgers on deck and five o'clock and again first pitch, must win Game four is at six oh eight. I was just thinking during the break here, Saxy Dylan Cees short rest through eighty five pitches on Saturday. Ye I know you, I know you hate taking pitches because you only get really one good one per it bad. And we've talked about this, but man, it is is maybe a strategy with Dylan Cees not to swing early in the account. Maybe get that pitch count up and maybe tonight's the night you'll work him to get him out of there. He's on short rest, and maybe he doesn't have a lot to offer.
Speaker 3: I understand.
Speaker 5: Look lots of times first time up, take a strike, you know, just to kind of get your bearings and make sure. But after that, no more cookie giveaways. I'm not giving cookies away. After that they throw me a cookie, I'm gonna chomp, you know what I mean. You may not get another cookie, you may get sauerkraut. And you don't want to be hitting pitches that are on the fringes of the plate, you know, just because I can go three too, you know, I guarantee the pitchers are phenomenal, but they can't throw a strike where they want it every single time, So they're gonna go through times where they're gonna lose it a little bit. They're gonna just miss on the outside part of the plate, and that's when you put the pressure on him. Drive that count deep, love it, absolutely, I'm all for getting deep in counts. The more you see I get the strategy, man, you know, put the pressure on the guy, get him out, get into the bullpen, do the same thing.
Speaker 3: Then I get it. But boy, you don't.
Speaker 5: You can get him out of the game by hitting one in the gap and then hitting one over the fence because he laid it right in there just as fast, a lot quicker than you can by you know, driving up the count.
Speaker 3: So it just depends. It's a it's a mixture of both.
Speaker 4: Speaking of pressure as a hitter at the plate, and you're in this situation and it's a must win game and you're trying to do something to spark this offense, whether it's drive the ball, get on base, whatever, as a hitter, and there's now maybe more pressure on you to do that because every bat, every out means so much now in a must win game. Four for the Dodgers is that I just hope this doesn't change their approach at the plate, meaning we start seeing Dodger hitters chasing pitches because when Choeo'tani starts swinging at pitches out of the zone and trying to do quote unquote too much, that's where he gets into trouble and expanding the zone. He starts swinging at pitches he shouldn't be and he strikes out. And I hope that Dodger hitters and it maybe it's just something you can't think about her or worry about. But as a hitter, Saxy, are you thinking about that at the plate? Like, my gosh, I need to get on base to do something, and you start chasing pitches.
Speaker 5: Okay, for first of all, about the pressure part that you mentioned, Oh, you're a professional baseball player and you applied for the job. That comes with the job, so you so she'll just live it and do it, deal with it. The other thing is, do you put this additional amount of pressure on you trying not to swing the balls out of the zone. Yeah, that's that's the optimal thing to do. Is you want to be aggressive in your zone? Only if wouldn't it be great? Wouldn't it be heaven on Earth? If you could say, hey, I won't I won't go after one pitch out of the zone. Well, look, there's times when you got two strikes, you got to protect a plate. There's so many times I remember in my career that you know, I had to get a hit on a ball that wasn't a strike. Sometimes you that happens. You have to be able to do that, but you don't want to. Your goal is to be effective in the zone. Let the other pitches go hit strikes. You hear it all the time, but it's easier said than done. Man, Hitting a ball is really hard to do.
Speaker 4: Rick and Sam Pedro has been patient and we appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Rick, thanks for it.
Speaker 4: Is here on a FI seventy l A Sports on this Wednesday morning.
Speaker 12: Hi Rick, Good morning gentlemen. Yeah, Hey, tonight tonight die hired Dodger guys.
Speaker 11: Uh, I think we're gonna do it tonight.
Speaker 12: I agree with you, guys, and I think whoever wins this series has a great chance of going all the way. But I gotta say, you got to tip your hat to the Padres management man. They have made some incredible moves, getting off of Soto, getting an elite guy like King, guys like Maryland Tatise up through the ranks and made a couple of mid season moves excellent and they're healthy, and uh, I think you gotta you gotta say that the management has been uh has been fantastic for them. So I think I think the winner of this series has got a great chance to go all the way. But I'm gonna stick with the Blue for now.
Speaker 3: All Rick appreciate the phone call.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the buttons that they pushed down there in San Diego with Aj Preller their general manager moving on from Sodo, what they've gotten in return from Sodo has panned out.
Speaker 3: The l was great. Oh yeah, absolutely, he's.
Speaker 4: Pushed all the right buttons, Yes, in putting together this roster and including and bringing in Mike Schuldt as the manager down there, and they just decided to part ways and go to a different direction.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 4: And it's it's paid out. They've all the moves they've made over the last decade and the regimes they've had down there, things haven't worked out. And they tried and tried, and they spent and they spent. But it feels like they've put together something a little bit different this year.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 5: You can't be afraid. And they failed that front office has failed miserably by in the past on the on the money they've spent that did not work out, but they keep slinging, man.
Speaker 3: And and look what happens. Now. They've got chemistry on that team.
Speaker 5: They all they're all kind of the same, you know, in some respects, but in other respects. They they all have their their own niche. But one thing is they're a little leggie on that team. And and that's the way it fits. It fits with San Diego, you know, the type of organization they are where they're they're.
Speaker 3: You know, they come after you.
Speaker 5: They've they've got talent and and they're a little leggie and that that fits with them.
Speaker 4: Let's go to Junior in Norwalk next up here on a five seventy with Saxon Kates and am you have to game four tonight?
Speaker 9: Junior?
Speaker 3: How you doing all right?
Speaker 9: Hi?
Speaker 14: Guys, gonna appreciate the call. One thing that Reggie, the Manny Machado play where he kind of interfered, reminded me of when Reggie Jackson interfered with the throw. What I would have done. I would have put the ball in the middle of Manny Mchatto's back and at least make him think about doing that again and question it. Why is an interference? And then another thing I want to question is why isn't playing I would have rather preferred Geek in that last at that to end the game than having the battle Gavin Lucks's hands. I think Gavin Lux and Max Munsey have run their course. They're too much of a hit or miss all or nothing, not much of a bass hit. And then Keika also provides us spark plugs on the field, like his his attitude, his his you know, his his demeanor, his body language. That makes a big difference when it comes to also winning games. That's all I got said.
Speaker 4: All right, Junior, appreciate it. Yeah, it's interesting. He brought up the throw it in the back of Machado and I'm not sure who it was. I might have been Derek Jeter, I think who said her A Rod on TV last night on postgame said in that situation, if the runners in your way, just like as a catcher, I think was a Rod. He said it as a catcher, you're taught when you feel the bunt, if the runners in the lane and out of the lane, you throw it in his back for interference in that situation, maybe with a drill. Machado in the back the way he's running, maybe there is more of a discussion of where is he running. He's way out of the lane, and there's more of a discussion impossibility of calling him out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that view you got from behind the first baseman, behind Freddie Freeman on the side, almost in the coach's box that ball. That view was shot right obviously from the dugout, but you can see him looking over his left shoulder, seeing Freddy's going down. When where he is to field the ball, he takes a left turn. I mean, just look at the video. He's two or three feet on the grass. This is upset.
Speaker 8: Third.
Speaker 5: I would have come out of my skin if I was you know, if I was a player on the field, I would have just been crazy beside myself. That is an obvious, what you know thing that he did to interrupt that play, to make interference and it hit him.
Speaker 3: In the head.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know what, how much more obvious you have to be? You know, hit him in the head and he gets away with it. Nobody even said anything.
Speaker 4: I don't know, no argument from the Dodgers dugout at all. Joining us now our Dodger insider, he's the best of the best. He is David Vease, Good morning, Dave. Yeah, I've spent a lot of time talking about that Machado play and the unraveling of the Dodgers in that second inning. You're just kind of reaction the morning after what happened and then the snowball of that second inning against the Dodgers.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know, it's funny. I was just looking at replays of that play before you guys called me, and look, it just doesn't look right. Manny Machado said after the game. They were practicing that in spring training to make the throw harder, and that's the first time it's come into play this season. It just doesn't look great when the base runners on the grass. That doesn't seem to be a baseline a bas path. And that was a great point. You guys just brought up. Why didn't anybody on the field or in the dugout go bananas if they really felt like he was out of the base path or base line. But Freddie Freeman explained it. He thought that, you know, the first couple of steps you create your own base path.
Speaker 11: But that seemed to.
Speaker 13: Be a little out of the ordinary. But I will say this, even with that play. That's not the reason or the entire reason why the Padres scored six runs in that inning. Miguel Rojas tried to be a hero with a limited mobility to try to turn an unassisted double play instead of just getting to sure out at second base. Gavin Lux was anchored at the base on the ground ball by Bogart and all he had to do was flip it to Lux and get the out, something that Walker Buehler desperately needed. And speaking of Walker Buehler, he although he was part of the paper cuts in the second inning, he's not absolved of the fact that he did give up six runs. He did have two strikes on Tattoos, on Peralta, on Magado, and he couldn't put anybody away. That was a big issue in that inning. And he finished with zero strikeouts in five innings. So you know, you could say all these different things, but the facts are he had two strikes on all these hitters in the second inning and couldn't put them away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're right again, David. Good to be with you this morning. Look, I've got a different outlook on tonight. You've got the pen game going, which can be a real detriment to the opposition when they're coming up and seeing a different guy each time they get in the batter's box. I think the key for this game for the Dodgers, for those guys, are going to be the bullpenners coming out attack these hitters. That is what you do when you come out of the bullpen. You you can't pitch on the fringes, go at these guys. It's going to be a new look every time they get in the batter's box. I think this could be a plus for the Dodgers tonight. It's a way to kind of reset this whole thing and just throw something different at them.
Speaker 13: Well, it's somewhat ironic that the Dodgers the last one a road playoffs game in Game five of the twenty one n LDS in San Francisco. If you remember that game, it was somewhat of a bullpen game because they instead of just having Julio Orias start the game, they had an opener for him, and then Julio came in and pitched the bulk innings of that game up in San Francisco. So, you know, hopefully history can repeat itself. But let's be honest with ourselves. A bullpen game in an in an eliminate game, that's not really ideal. But that's the situation the Dodgers are in going into this series. They're running out of pitching like they did a year ago, which is a topic of conversation for another time. But let's be honest with ourselves. A bullpen game in an elimination game is not ideal.
Speaker 4: It's not David Vests joining us here on a five seventy LA Sports Live in San Diego, Game four the NLDS is Tonight's real quick about last night, Dave, Just to kind of wrap things up and looking ahead Otani Betts.
Speaker 3: They can't do it alone.
Speaker 4: As much as Dodger fans want them to just carry this team on and through the playoffs, you got to get something from the bottom half of this lineup, and last night Muncie, will Smith, Gavin Lux, Tommy Edmund just didn't give him anything.
Speaker 13: Yeah, combined for fifteen with five strikeouts. I said it last night, I said it this morning. I'll say it again. The Dodgers need key A Hernandez to get some at that.
Speaker 7: It's the only.
Speaker 13: Reason why they signed them. This is his time. I would love to see Keith ky Hernandez in center field, Tommy Edmunds starting at shortstop. They've got to do something to change that part of the lineup, which really hasn't given them much since Game one of this series. So they have to change something up. You know, they're changing it up with the pitching. They've got to change something up with the lineup because they had so many swings and misses last night. Next months he had nine swings seven misses. Will Smith, who I, you know, thought was the X factor, he is, but it hasn't gone the right direction. He's zero for eight in this series. So that part of the lineup definitely needs to step up.
Speaker 5: David, what do you what do you think about? Have they named who's going to be the start of tonight? Is it going to be Lendon now? Is it going to be somebody else? Is I would say I would think that he's going to be the bulk pitcher tonight, but what has been said about that?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I thought so too.
Speaker 13: I mean, I feel like he's going to have a part in this game in that type of role. But when you look at the Padres lineup, they got one lefty in the first three hitters, or two lefties. I guess with their eyes and profar so they may go with Anthony Banda or alex Vestia to open up and then from there, you know, go to their right handers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dave, final thing for me, got feeling what are you feeling about Game four tonight in this Dodgers team being around them, their may their makeup, their their emotional makeup, their mental makeup in this team, Uh, with their backs against the wall, do they have enough fight in them to force a Game five?
Speaker 13: Well, I'll say this, it feels like this year this team has shown more fight than what we have seen in each of the last two years. I'll be really candid with you. If the Dodgers were down six to one last year, actually they were down six to nothing in the first game, they would have packed it in. They would not have fought. They would have just said, you know what, we'll try to get them tomorrow. That's not what happened yesterday. Even though they didn't have a base runner the last six innings until Freddy Freeman's single in the eighth inning, Teoscar Hernandez grand slam was set up by a guy getting on base ahead of him. So I do believe they'll fight, and they don't want to go home, they don't want to be embarrassed by that team, And yeah, I think they'll fight. But like I said, it's a well tonight is a real wild card game because not only are the Dodgers going with a bullpen game, but the Padres have a pitcher that really wasn't that effective going on three days rest after game one and Dylan Cease.
Speaker 5: Yeah, David, my last one is my question about Freddy Freeman. Obviously, the pain is there. He comes out of the game the other day. He also can't even get up and make that throw, you know, on the play that's most talked about now in the country. I guess you would say, yeah, what is his situation now and how much are we going to see of him?
Speaker 13: Well, there was a play last night where he had to leap to complete a double play. The throw by Tommy edmund Ye was a little high and he leaped and he stepped on the bag and he almost went down to his knees. So I don't know if that's going to affect him. He's still Freddy Freeman. He's still the presence in the lineup, and he had some good at bats last night, so if he's able to walk, he's going to be in there.
Speaker 4: David, we appreciate being up with us this morning. It's gonna be a long day again, but hopefully a day that ends with the Dodger victory in a game five on Friday night.
Speaker 3: We appreciate it, Thanks David.
Speaker 13: All right, guys, thanks, all.
Speaker 4: Right, there he goes our Dodger insider David Vesse. We'll take a quick time out. We'll come back. We'll get to the final sweep of your phone calls, and we'll get Steve's keys. A game four win, a must win game for the Dodgers tonight at Petco Park. Dylan Cees short rest Dodgers a bullpen game. We'll get Steve's keys and your calls when we come back. You're on a FI seventy l A sports so need some bass hits, need some bullpen help over nine innings. Since it's a bullpen game, Dodgers need to win, they need to come home with a victory.
Speaker 5: So they get to Dylan Cees and guess what now the Padres have a bullpen game.
Speaker 4: Exactly. I was just talking about this in the hallway. How long is Dylan c is gonna be out there. Maybe he's a one time through the rotation.
Speaker 3: That's it. This could be a Penn game for the Padres too.
Speaker 4: Wow, that it's gonna come down to who's got a better bullpen Padres.
Speaker 3: V and Dodgers really good, yeah, both of them.
Speaker 4: It's been a fun series. It's been a fun series. The Mets Philly series has been back and forth as well. That's been entertaining.
Speaker 5: Hey, look, it's gonna be great all the way through. Even the American leagues are great, so it's gonna be fun. I just have a feeling tonight. Look, the Dodgers if they if they walk away tonight with with a loss. You gotta win on the road, man, you have you got to win one game on the road and that's all they gotta do, and then they take that back to LA.
Speaker 4: Let's get through with these calls quickly. Gabriel Venice, Gabriel, good morning.
Speaker 3: What's going on? What's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Hey man?
Speaker 8: What's going on? I'm Gabriel, number one Dodger fan. What I'm dripping on is why why is nobody making a big deal about how I was? I heard last night somebody rumbling about how the County of Los Angle of San Diego isn't allowing people outside of San Diego to buy tickets to the games.
Speaker 10: I mean, I mean that that itself is kind of.
Speaker 8: Like, uh, you know some some some you know stuff I'm not comfortable with. I don't think the Dodger I don't think the Dodgers are doing that well or.
Speaker 4: Gabe really appreciate it. Yeah, we've gotten into it, and it's been a couple of years now. They've been doing a limiting tickets to only people that are in the Billiings zip code of the Padres and Riverside in San Diego County. So yeah, definitely been talked about, Definitely been preaching and you know what they've been doing down there. Chris is next up here in Rancho Kookamonga. I believe Chris.
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 9: Hey, how's it going? So I want to make it quick here. I'm a Dodger fans. Game was terrible. My question is why on a O two count is Walker Buehler throwing something right in his wheelhouse?
Speaker 6: Taptist.
Speaker 9: You know, back in the day in the playoffs, you had Chilling, you had Johnson, you had Clements, that weren't intimidated by these batters. They would throw inside a little bit and shake up the lineup a little bit. I don't know why, old Town, he's always batting leadoffs. You know, have him maybe back third or fourth. You know, you want to give him maybe one at that more for the whole game.
Speaker 14: I understand that, but you have to, like, you.
Speaker 9: Know, maybe get him on base with other letters and next month. See, he's got to get his average up two thirty two. I mean, that's not cutting it.
Speaker 10: He's got he has a good eye, but he's got to.
Speaker 9: Take some more pitches. That's the whole point.
Speaker 14: He's got lower the lionup so he can get on baseball Toney.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's not doing his job. Will Smith hasn't done his job. Gavin Lux has struggled in this series as well. The Dodgers need more production top to bottom. It can't be a top heavy lineup and be successful here in the postseason against a really good Padres team. Chris in La is next up with Saxon Kate today and how you doing, Chris.
Speaker 1: I'm doing great, guys. Just a couple of things. First of all, you know, it's unfortunate that US Dodger fans have to go to this, but it is baseball, you know, playoff baseball. Good pitching beats good hitting, and if you don't get timely hits, then you know it's not going to work in our favor. And unfortunately that's been the way it's been all these years. He saw those fortunate bloopers that the Padres God is about timely hitting and and good pitching, and we've had a depleted pitching staff this year. So I think Dave Roberts, you know, for all his faults, he's done a pretty good job dealing with the pitching staff we've had to get us to this point. And one other thing, one of the colleges was talking about the base running thing. A lot of people don't understand that there's only one established base path, and that's going to first base. All the other base paths, the runner establishes the base path if they are trying to be tagged, which usually comes up in like a pickle rundown situation. Other than that, that's a brilliant play by Maschado. You can create your own base path and usually it doesn't come up because if someone does what he did and ran out of the way. The first baseman just throws the ball the second and it's easy throw. So in this situation, because Freeman was on the ground and he threw it wide, that just happened to be where Manny knew, this is where I should run in case that happened. So that's why it wasn't reviewed. And it's interesting that the Fox guys didn't know that, and especially Big Poppy was a Hall of Fame first base. But it just shows you that people don't know that rule. There is no base path on the other basis unless you're avoiding a tag, like in a rundown situation. So the Dodgers kind of try to bounce back and stay focused and keep hitting and help the balls fall where they have to, and we get some pitching from this bulk in game. You know it's gonna be tough, but you know, crazier things have happened, all right, Chris.
Speaker 4: Appreciate the phone call. Yeah, it's a subjective call. It's a judgment call from the umpires. And I think the biggest argument we've been talking about Saxy is why wasn't there pressure or an argument from the Dodgers dugout to Hey, let's at least talk about this for a second. Can we huddle, Can we get a different perspective. Maybe one of the umpires down the line saw it differently, Maybe one of the umpires in the left center field saw the different angle. We can go to him and maybe get a call and we can rule Machado out. I mean, there was just never an argument or a fight from the Dodger side of it.
Speaker 5: I appreciate his take on that and talking about establishing the running your own running zone. I get that. But let me offer some of my subjectivity here on this, and that is he did establish it. He started running to second base in the normal base path. He was on his way. It was then that long after that, probably only about three steps, that he took a left turn onto the grass that is not his normal running lane that he had already established, and then the ball hits him, and then he it almost does a v ye out out to the grass. He gets hit and then right back in the lane. His lane was established. Right when Freddy fielded the ball, he was looking over his shoulder, and it was thereafter that he took on a different lane. And that's why I think that place should have been called as interference.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and maybe he needed a little prodding from Dave Roberts and the Dodgers dugout to ask for, you know, some help from another umpire and to discuss this.
Speaker 5: I'd have been backflipping out there so ticked off. I'd have been out of my out of my skin.
Speaker 4: Absolutely in our last ninety seconds here, Saxy, what some of you?
Speaker 5: Your key to the simple one, very simple. Your backs are against the wall. There's no more talking. The backs are again. I don't care about I don't care about enthusiasm. Go out there and barrel somebody's ass up, and that's what you got to do. Barrel some balls up. And as far as the bullpen goes, go out there and attack these hitters. Don't go on the fringe. These guys are gonna have to figure everybody out as they go along. The bullpen guys have the advantage, especially early in the game. Go out and attack somebody and let's see what happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm with you. I think the bullpen is the key tonight. It's a bullpen game, and you need to pass up unton You need that that that link to continue from the first inning to the ninth inning, and it's so tough to do in bullpen games, and I think that's the key. They've got to put up zeros. They got to have limited runs out there from one reliever to the next. And I think the Dodgers offense they'll be just fine tonight and helping produce some runs. Thanks to Katie, Thanks to Michelle. Thanks to you for being a part of the show. Saxy.
Speaker 3: I hope tomorrow we're talking about a Dodgers win. We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Okay, absolutely, we'll get ready for Game five game for Thanks Saxy. We'll talk to you tomorrow morning. We'll talk to you tomorrow morning as well. Hopefully after a Dodgers win. They must win game for the Dodgers as they're in San Diego today, we got you covered wall to wall. Colin Coward coming up next. Then it's Rogan and Rodney at noon, Petro some money. A flex alert begins at two o'clock Morongo Casino. Dodgers on deck at five pm. First pitch is six o eight. Dylan Seiz goes for the Padres. It's a bullpen game for the Dodgers again. Thanks to Kenny, thanks to Michelle, and thanks to you for being a part of the show until tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Song