Speaker 1: Another Roberty Callahan's story of historic Indian trails told the old copper. Yeah, this is the old trapper saying, how cold are way down in the river bottoms near the coast of South Carolina. You know, me and Nancy had been invited to make camp down here in one of.
Speaker 2: The old Indian vales of this state.
Speaker 1: Now, you know, folks forest Sumpters, where the forest shot of the Civil War was fired. And a lot of folks don't think so well of that part of the country. But a lot of things have happened in South Carolina since that day. A lot of fine people down here. Cotton mills and baked Bagnoldia tree, he's covered with silver mars. God, it's a great country to be And you know we like it down here, don't we, Nancy? Yeah, And we're out in the heat of a big man to treat right now.
Speaker 3: Well, Uncle Luke, one of your fans is a little boy who lives near Charleston, South Carolina, and he's written two letters. You wanted to know if there's any difference between a Hogan, teepee or wigwam.
Speaker 1: Well, you know why I thought most of the boys and girls knew that.
Speaker 4: But this little fellow says his eyes were bad. For four years he wasn't allowed to read, but read better now he said, he's studying about Indians.
Speaker 1: Well, now, in that case, Nancy, I guess better tell the story. Now, how about your broadcast connections? You got all things fixed up around there?
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, you're already on the air. Well, that's fine, now, Uncle Luke. What is meant by wigwam?
Speaker 2: Will?
Speaker 1: A wigwam is a home such as the Indians of the Atlantic Coast live.
Speaker 5: Then about two three hundred years ago, how did they build a wig brama those things?
Speaker 1: Well, they made the framework with upright poles and then then twining them with the bark and skin, and then they covered the outside walls with sheets of bark or thick brusher leaves. The roof, of course, was made in the same manner.
Speaker 5: What tip of Indians used wig wama, Well, the Delaware Iroquois and the Mohawks.
Speaker 2: In fact, many tribes used the wigwam.
Speaker 1: Suppose we have no kona do a mohawk chant for that little boy who is reading about Indians.
Speaker 4: Oh, that would be fine. I hope he's listen.
Speaker 2: No more kayakanah.
Speaker 4: Oh, that was a good chance. Now to look what about the tp How was it made? How big, how little?
Speaker 3: How long? Round or square? How?
Speaker 4: You know everything?
Speaker 1: Way, Nancy, the tpee is quite different to the wigwam. The tepee was made with about sixteen upright poles forming fifteen to twenty foot base, and they came to a point about fifteen to thirty feet high, depending on the course of the size of the tepee. Now, the outside walls were made out of buffalo deer of baskin in hereadays. But when white settlers fighting the wild game away, tepees were made out of army cloth.
Speaker 2: Are heavy brown duck what Indians?
Speaker 4: Who's the tepees?
Speaker 3: Uncle up?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Those living on the western plains mostly Omaha Parker black Feet to Sioux Cheyenne and Walla Walla.
Speaker 4: Would the Indians leave the village from going on a long hunt?
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 1: The walls of the teepee were taken down and rolled into a bunnel. The poles were put into two bunnels. One bunnle stepped to each side of a pony, and the skin covering rolled up and put astride the ponies back like a shadow. Now, in this way the Western Indian could move from place to place and set up his house wherever might might find him.
Speaker 4: Could nakonadi was too chance for the children.
Speaker 1: Listening in Why of course, sir Waste Lila Kaste no called carsinella like kapa.
Speaker 3: Oh I like that champ.
Speaker 4: Now, how about the.
Speaker 1: Many of a pueblo well piare Blow were constructed about four hundred years ago in what is now New Mexico and Arizona. Matter of fact, go back longer than that. The buildings are two, three, four, and some five stories high. The roof of the first floor provides a port for the second floor, the roof of the second piare Blow forms a sleeping port for the third floor, and likewise clearing.
Speaker 2: Up to the top.
Speaker 4: What were the preblos constructed of.
Speaker 2: Adobe and framework.
Speaker 1: Sometimes they all were two feet thick, Nancy, And you know, ladders led from short doors and up beside odd windows in every story, and the top story was always set back to form a wide, open hard clothes porch for the house below. And you know, Nancy, some of the piablos were around one hundred and fifty to two hundred feet wide, and some of them a hundred feet and death but what are the principal.
Speaker 4: Tribes living in Pueblo, Well, coach.
Speaker 1: The Tea, Santa Clara, Santo Mingo, Taos Zuni, and San Juan. Most important paces, of course the saner Fonso and good many other little towns over there, but they all are associated with the Piablo tribe. Would you like to have no kna do a Piablo chant for the children?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: I feel sure the listeners would enjoy.
Speaker 1: One walk imyko cosnake o'connee f k four.
Speaker 6: Stop?
Speaker 3: That would love?
Speaker 4: Now we explained the holk on uncle.
Speaker 2: Well, and then the hogan was the original home of the Navajole.
Speaker 1: It was made like a large vhire, the frame being made of upright poles and trying for the grass and mark. The roof was a framework covered with grass and a clay.
Speaker 2: About the foot thick.
Speaker 1: It always shed rings, and the floors were very hard out of clay, and it made the Navajos house very cool in summer and of course very warm in winter.
Speaker 2: The Navajos are still about the most.
Speaker 1: Evasive Indians in the large existing tribe.
Speaker 4: Does na coon and have to sing a Navajo chant?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, sir.
Speaker 1: As a matter of fact, I think he might sing the ybachi for you you are to hey fock sneel apart.
Speaker 6: Yes, pers purson.
Speaker 3: Oh ooh, why that's the most unusual Indian shanna I've ever heard.
Speaker 4: I imagine it would be spiteful at night, especially with no one around.
Speaker 2: Oh that was a v chin and say a very sacred song of the Navajos.
Speaker 4: Tell me, Uncle Luke. Did any of the old Indians ever live.
Speaker 3: In grass houses?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: The early Indians is what is now on the state of Kansas and our way made grasshouses that looked like a modern haystack. The thick wall was made out of grass and dirt, and the wall and roof were so closely woven together that the house made a perfect water share.
Speaker 4: What kind of Indians were in old California?
Speaker 1: Well, there were several tribes and turlock, Modoch, Merced, Santa Clara mission, and Mohoves.
Speaker 4: What kind of houses did they build?
Speaker 1: A large bee heave tie made out of mud and grass are wild keene?
Speaker 2: The only opening was at the top of the building.
Speaker 4: Oh well, how did they get in and out of the house?
Speaker 1: Well, they made ladders out of dead limbs and slung them from the base to the opening and the roof, and each night lifted the letters up so no one could get out.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess our little boyfriend who wrote that letter can now understand there's quite a difference in the TP Pueblo, Poka, nor wig bon yep.
Speaker 1: And he ought to know that the Indians was their first architect of American Nancy, first to design the apartment house.
Speaker 4: Why the young the Indians didn't have apartment houses in those days? Did the uncle up?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, All you've got to do is visit Twas, New Mexico. There you will see a six story building about two hundred feet long. And if you go back into those ancient villages like Twas, you'll soon find that the history of those Indians go way back beyond American civilization.
Speaker 4: Well, what will your next joy be about, Uncle Luke?
Speaker 1: Well, I just about to say our camp for I was going damn Nancy, And you know we got to have a meeting over there pretty soon, they expecting us to be their guests. But one of these days I will talk about the Pocahontas, the Indian canoe, cheap black Hawk.
Speaker 2: And Oceola. But now it's about time.
Speaker 1: For the old Trapper to offer you a pipe of peace and say Yoho, how cooler?
Speaker 2: Yo ho yo ho,