Speaker 1: I need thirshtand smoke.
Speaker 2: Later.
Speaker 1: Give me that, don't.
Speaker 3: I can't believe how easy it is in this country and the good cigarettes four finger discount ed.
Speaker 1: Welcome to four figure discount where this week we're here to review Smoke on the Dota or zero three five. Apparently it's called that song by d people.
Speaker 4: I'm downdo, I'm god. I never knew that though, it was just called Smoke on the water.
Speaker 1: It's the chord progression I think zero three five zero three something something seven five. It's the first one you lose when you're at loan, when you're stop playing guitar.
Speaker 4: I imagine it would be that or Stairway to help.
Speaker 1: But well, I tried. Did you ever play The first song I ever self taught myself a proper sort of song was Knocking on Heaven's Door, the intron knocking the Heaven's Door, the Do Do Do Do Do? And Blackbird by Beatles by the Beatles. Yes, And it was the first time I sort of played and went, that's not just cause that's a song, that's a that's a tune. You know.
Speaker 4: I would love to be able to play guitar. I'd lack hand eye coordination and just coordination.
Speaker 1: Really okay, yes, and that's just a bubby's dismay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a shame, you know, I got disowned. But what are you going to do?
Speaker 1: It's it's crazy, though. Elliott's got my ball skills and Holly's got Nichola's hand eye coordination. So she's dropping things, she's walking into walls and like that has always been there. You've lived here for four years now, I can relate. But Ali is just good at all kinds of sports. I've always been able to sort of pick up a ball and just learn the basics of a sport. It's been good at that. But I've never been elite or anything like that at a sport. I'm not elite at anything. Pretty elite no, no, no, but you know what we are elite act getting older. We are masters at the Yes, it is our birthday. My birthday is tomorrow, as we record this, the fourth, and your birthday is the day after, which is the fifth, which means every week this year, at this time of the year, we do a birthday present sweat.
Speaker 4: Have you ever done it before?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the last two years I think at least. Yeah.
Speaker 4: On on the show, podcast. Yeah, yeah, have we now?
Speaker 1: Yes? Okay, well at least given yours on the show. I'm not sure whether you have.
Speaker 4: I would have transferred some money and do your account.
Speaker 1: I think. I think sometimes you're like your presence in the letter box. Gotta go. Yes, I'll give you your first.
Speaker 4: Present, right, Oh okay, then we first present.
Speaker 1: This is your first one. You may already have this. If you do, I apologize.
Speaker 4: What is very what is very sweet is the Dando has wrapped this, but he's also wrapped it in Christmas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, birthday, I was I love. It's always Christmas in the Dande house.
Speaker 4: That is true. That is true. It was love with Louise's birth long ago, and I got her a present, but I was looking around for wrapping paper. I've got his Christmas wrapping paper.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter. It's just a thrill of opening up a present.
Speaker 4: That is true.
Speaker 1: I didn't get you a card, because who gets I don't even fu back cards. I know you like cards, but I just didn't.
Speaker 4: That is true, And I'm glad you mentioned that because I was on my way over here, and I'm like, Dane will be there between nine forty five and ten. Yeah, at which point, Dan, I says, be here at nine forty five.
Speaker 1: Nicols like you to be done at this time, right, like yest which one?
Speaker 4: I'm thinking we're in a room. We're not going to be, you know, sort of like playing musical. We're going to be recording a podcast, and it's going to be that disruptive. I'm going to open the pressure.
Speaker 1: She has a meeting between I'm gonna watch Holly. Oh yeah, that's doing the parents swap. You're doing the parent tree kids swap. Yes, yeah, okay, but yeah, this is very sweet.
Speaker 4: Now, while I'm doing this, I should say that Daniel has a present. It's down there. Yes, it's not wrapped up, and it's in the US. Yeah. But the whole nine forty five to ten thing, I was like, I've got until ten. I'll stop off at the newsagent on the way and picked down to a card. He said, be here at nine forty five.
Speaker 1: Save your mate, So I'm no car, save your money.
Speaker 4: Let's see what we've got here.
Speaker 1: You probably already have this. I'll be surprised if you didn't have it.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, do you have it? I do not have beautiful. This is Sybil and Bruce moonlighting madgic. This is uh. The cover of this paperback says it is sexy, sizzling, sensational, all of which have exclamation marks, the private lives of TV's Hottest couple and the show that skyrocketed on the top. Dan, No, that's very sweet.
Speaker 1: And Bruce left your president in the front cover as well.
Speaker 4: Holy do you this is this is one of the and what you say, this is one of more than three. Holy Molly, this is great.
Speaker 1: I'm not. I appreciate the effort you put in to help keep them for for your discant thing going, so I thought i'd spoil you a bit.
Speaker 4: Well, I thank you very much. This is lovely And.
Speaker 1: This is the thing I was telling about. I'm like, if I didn't buy it, only then mother can tell them apart. I saw it and I was like, if I don't buy it now, I have a financy end. So I just bought it.
Speaker 4: It was just online.
Speaker 1: It was online, yeah, and someone that's popped up and I was like, ah, well, I didn't pay as much as that.
Speaker 4: So, by the way, when I said only a mother can tell them apart video, people will se that I'm holding up the cover of me and Bruce Willis, who are basically twins. Yes, yes, so no.
Speaker 1: I remember you tell me once about a book that was made on set of a show or a movie or something in your I thought maybe it was this one. You're like, they're making like a documentary series or something, and then there was turmoil on set and they turned it into a book and you said you'd read it.
Speaker 4: Oh that was actually the movie The Bonvar of the Vanity.
Speaker 1: It's the one. Yes, yes, yes, I'm like like that one. I'll take the chance anyway. Okay, this is going to mess.
Speaker 4: With the flow a little bit because I only have one present to give Daniel, and that's gonna be two for me, so it's gonna be all over the shop. But oh wonderful. And look, I'm not going to reveal the secret present, but let me just goes. We're talking about things that you may already have. The cameras on Dano. You'll see behind that so much, vinyl, vinyl, so much. And then we're gonna add one more to them. And you may already have.
Speaker 1: This, but I do. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: I can just swap it for something else. And I threw out the receipt. I still have the receipt.
Speaker 1: I've managed to return a vinyl once without a receipt because I was I was able to prove when it was purchased, and they looked up in their system like what time of the day and what date, and they're like, yeah, this okay, it's two precise.
Speaker 4: I will be able to do this. Yeah with this as well, because we were all leaving digital footprints all over the place. And also you can just.
Speaker 1: Go to very od Oh my god, he's done it again. Go there it is JV half had wish they were friends of the pod. We need to make them friends of the pod.
Speaker 4: Look, I think you and I are very affable people. We're very friendly people, and I think we put our quality product, quality content. I take the piss all the time saying someone's a friend of the pod.
Speaker 1: We would genuinely want you to be friends of our pod.
Speaker 4: I think this pod can make more friends, and I think this pod would be a good friend to have.
Speaker 1: We'll be there for you even if you're there for us too.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 1: For oh, I do have this one, but it's a fantastic vinyl. I'm glad you chose this one. You know me very well. This is one of my favorite vinyls I've ever owned. Well, it's you may notice limited. Yes, okay, it's the red and green one. I don't have this one. It might have in variants. Fantastic. I've only got the black one, and I'm always just I've been wanting this one forever. I've been able to find him. Well done, sir, you're very very excited. What Are the World is the limited edition Martian Green and Red vinyl fantastic.
Speaker 4: I mainlined this growing up as a little boy.
Speaker 1: Do you do. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 4: It's fantastic. Then my uncle.
Speaker 1: Darren, he's the one who got me into it. He's got this because he's got the original record right when it was the first release and you sent away or something and he had a poster. I told you about that that I did that and I never got it. He got it, and he's got framed in his hallway the poster.
Speaker 4: It's dope.
Speaker 1: This is the poster? Is this opened up?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so good. What are the World's the original soundtrack Jeff Wayne's musical version music version. So enjoy great present. Thank you so.
Speaker 4: Much, so you're very well. Thank you for my lovely present.
Speaker 1: Yours are kind of corner compeed to that one. I'll give you both of yours, now give you both. So this one's just more of a fun one.
Speaker 4: Let's do a wacky one. I really, let's do a wacky one. O Thiss magazine. Yes, hey, oh gone wild with the Bruce.
Speaker 1: It's a nineteen ninety Bruce Willis expose as Bruce All the Time, Bruce nineteen ninety.
Speaker 4: Deadline, Bruce Willis's Revenge on the Hacks. Here's the I probably actually bought this when it first came out.
Speaker 1: I thought you might have. Yeah, yes, because look at that man's face.
Speaker 4: So that man's face, Oh fantastic. That's there's gonna be a wonderful throwback to nineteen ninety one. Just look at this.
Speaker 1: Look at the ads inside of it. Yeah, smells like nineteen ninety. Oh I think Bruce is on page fifty two. I remember I had a little skim through.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, this is making for great audio, me flicking through the magazine and it's the Oh my god, the great thing abou Vanity Fair is. You know, it's a very much sort of a culture magazine. That's what we are. What's happening in the zardgeist and popular culture and all that. And but they have this little sect stuff front with who's hot right now? And guess who's hot right now? Vanilla eyes. Let me just read this thing like the King of rock and roll, who he resembles raps. Vanilla Ice is a white crooner who's made it in a black medium. But there's a twenty two year old survivor's men street streets rapping his color blab. But if you're not from the streets, forget it because it won't come out right. A national motocross champions as he was fifteen, he almost lost the use of his legs and accents. Then he died in a straight fight. Jesus, I think he just got the ship kicked out of him. Get out of here, white boy. Now he's hypnotic. Hit. I SI's Baby is the first rap song to top the pop charts and offers to sing an actor pouring in. It's a real reversal fortune. Yeah, he made cool of Ice and then he vanished. Fantastic. This is a wonderful gift. You've put the evidence you've got. You know, you've scared the internet and eBay and all this kind of stuff, finding stuff that guy likes. I imagine this is going to be a copy of the Return of Bruno, was a solo album. This is very, very sweet.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: I feel bad that I've sort of just got you the one get you've already had.
Speaker 1: No, I don't have this one though.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 1: I've been wanting to get this one.
Speaker 4: It's a limited variant. But see what we got here feels vinyl. It's a vinyl Dan loves given out vinyl. I recognize those legs. It's moon Lighting. It's the soundtrack album Pull of Great Jams. I mean, it's got the moon Lighting theme by l Jiro. It's got good love and perform both Bruce Willis. It's got limbo rock.
Speaker 1: Which.
Speaker 4: It's got Sibil Shepherd seeing Blue Moon's when a man Loves a woman. A lot of great stuff. And look at this great cover, because it is fantastic. What a wonderful what a wonderful birthday this has turned out to be. Oh, thank you very much, Brendan Dano. What a guy.
Speaker 1: The thing clearly Bruce I got more the Bruce is loose. I got up to the brim with Bruce juice. There's a Bruce Willer's book coming out, and I was going to get it for enough that it is probably alread order away, was getting for free or whatever, because you know you say you always get yet, yeah, I try to get stuff. You've seen the Bruce the book that's coming out, I have not. It come out in August, so it's available now. I could have got avoid. I thought, Ah, he'll probably already got it.
Speaker 4: I'll take care of that. It's a wonderful gift.
Speaker 1: We use the money to buy that book, then that's good.
Speaker 4: Hoddy or keep a river made. Keep this is wonderful. Thank you very much. Happy birthday to us.
Speaker 1: Yes, happy birthday to everyone out there. Yes, indeed, and if you'd like to wish us happy birthday everyone.
Speaker 4: Now, I guess we should probably talk about Smoke on the Daughter.
Speaker 1: Yes, smoke on the Daughter. I didn't mind this episode.
Speaker 4: I did not like this.
Speaker 1: I didn't like it for what reasons.
Speaker 4: It felt unfocused and again, the sort of assembled.
Speaker 1: Cigarette second hand smoke clearly focused. That's true. The bug is that brought me was the I thought you would have enjoyed the idea of just the cigarettes being perceived as like needy a necessity in life.
Speaker 4: I've been off them for so long, but I got to say one of my notes here is smoking ruled.
Speaker 1: Smoking was so great. I've always I've always had it. Did it rule more before everyone realized it's not good for you? Oh no, we always knew it was bad for it is okay, but not to the level or you just didn't give a shit.
Speaker 4: We just didn't give a ship.
Speaker 1: I was young as reckless because everyone's well, we watch a Madman and I'm like, how many cigarettes must this show have gone through? They can't be real cigarettes. They couldn't have made that.
Speaker 4: I imagine that's got to be clob or Herbal cigarets.
Speaker 1: Yes, they couldn't have made the cask smoke as often as they did, because it's this constant smoking and instant drinking Nicholas like drinking apple juice, and I'm like, it's definitely not really like who.
Speaker 4: When I was working as an extra on movies and TV shows, there was one particular project where they needed like an insert shot of someone butting a lit cigarette and it had to be like a particular length of cigarette for continuity.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, and yeah, I was like, yeah, I smoke, just give them to being an old buy one up smokes, I smoke but out and I ended up having to smoke like five or six really in the space of like a relatively sure periods.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna sound so silly asking this, and I don't care. If you light a cigarette right and just leave it, will it go down or do you have to actually puff it for it to go down.
Speaker 4: No, it will go down, It'll go down slow.
Speaker 1: That is what they need it done.
Speaker 4: Now. Well, yeah, time is money.
Speaker 1: Did they at least pay you for the secrets or at least give you the free secretes? H?
Speaker 4: No, I think I was just being a team player. I was like, yeah, I'll do it. I want you and I always do a shit for free. We really are, we really are. But you got to take one for the team something. Yes, Yeah, we got to smoke one for the team at time. Yep. Look, I didn't dislike this, but I was thinking about why I didn't. When I said I didn't dislike I didn't hate this episode. It's not Simpson Safari, but I was thinking about why didn't this work for me? And it's like it's I think it's got the problem that a lot of recent episode Simpsons episodes have for me at least in that it's got solid ideas and ideas that could either be explore and the emotionality of them could be drawn out and actually means something, or they.
Speaker 1: Could they rarely get sort of an emotional payoff now to yeah, or they could be made funny or both in a perfect world.
Speaker 4: We're seeing so much of Marge and like, ah, I had so many dreams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once you got together shadow, it was like it was almost like a making a mockery. If that wasn't the shadow dreams and the disappointment closet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the shattered dreams and the disappointment closet. It's like, oh man, yeah, you're right, it is making fun I was like, maybe I was just feeling particularly sensitive this morning.
Speaker 1: Too, I had dreams. It's also, you know, that's kind of on you as well. You probably still could have pursued this if you really wanted to. I understand you're keeping the house together, yeah, but you still could have tried at least. I know she's probably been broken down over the years, but yeah, always fallen back in the I had dreams once.
Speaker 4: But even the central idea of one parent pushing their dreams onto their child.
Speaker 1: I like that story.
Speaker 4: I like that idea and the other parent recognizing this is not good the parent or the child.
Speaker 1: But I wasn't over doing that with the Lisa and the singing, and then she fired him as the coach. Remember I remember that episode in the Idle episode. Yeah, certainly.
Speaker 4: I just think that's a really interesting idea for the core, and I think it's something you could make funny, but I think it's also something that could buy the end have a bit of emotional punch to it, because you know, Home's got to realize. I want Marge to be happy living her dream vicariously through Lisa is making. She's making all these lovely cakes and all this kind of business. At the same time, it's not healthy. It's not healthy for her. It's not healthy for Lisa. But also I want to do right by my daughter as well. It's a bit of a conflict.
Speaker 1: It was nice seeing Homer being the one in the middle of the being the voice of reason or me being notly he's the idiot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, except they didn't really give him enough to do to be the voice of reason.
Speaker 1: Just besides him just catching her doing it essentially, So I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just felt like this episode had much like Marge yourself, unfulfilled potential.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's going to get that. I yes.
Speaker 4: And also just the I guess up the Homer and bart b plot.
Speaker 1: Didn't like. Raccoons just didn't really add anything to mine. Okay, I like the way it had one good gag. I like the way it managed to intertwine into the two. I feel like the whole raccoon breaking in and do it still in the Cecarets and stuff would have been a more memorable bit had it been like a season eight episode, more people talking about with the time home set the raccoons in to get the stuff. Although it didn't really end all that funny.
Speaker 4: No, and they sort of didn't build up enough. They didn't build up enough of a relationship between Homer and the raccoons. It needed one more scene or two more well it needed to need.
Speaker 1: To get because they stole of Homer's food, right, yes, and then he tried to trap them and he trapped himself by accident. I feel like I feel like he needed they needed one more moment of them screwing him over kind of thing.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right. Yes, they needed.
Speaker 1: Again, while we're about it, we had the yated road Runner couch Gate. It should have been like that.
Speaker 4: You should have been like that. And then you know, you know what, we've got more in common than with it. You and I are a lot more alike than we think. Look, it's certainly full of stuff that some of it works, some of it is on the verge of working, and some of it's like, well, you just didn't do enough with this. That's how I felt about it, anyway.
Speaker 1: And I think that's sort of the mentality for a lot of the recent episodes of The Simpsons as for modern standards for what we've been reviewing. I like this a lot, but if you're gonna compared to the divisionals, clearly not as much time as been put into this. Yeah, look it could well be and me problem in terms of like I'm looking at this through everything should be vintage golden era Simpson and it's just not. And it's not even a Matt Someone said, he goes bye even by this point I was talking to him, and this made me not's the record, I don't know, but he's like even by this time we knew the show wasn't the show that it once was. We knew people weren't watching the shows like they used to. We still loved making the show and did it almost like as an out of passion as opposed to you knowing that people gave a shit.
Speaker 4: You know, it's good that Matt says that I'm good. I don't doubt that he felt it. But I don't know that passion doesn't come through For some reason, it doesn't feel like they've got this sense of wilder bandlike, well, if no one's if people aren't watching it as much as they used to, we can kind of run wild. We've kind of got carte blanche. We're the Simpsons. We can do what we please, and even if people don't like it, we might attract people who are like, wow, I didn't think they'd do that, or that's unusual, or whereas this kind of feels it feels like a cover version. It feels like we're playing the hits.
Speaker 1: Well, I w either they didn't just make this an anti smoking campaign either, Because you think she's about to then she says, ballet the issue here, Like, ah, I like that because if you have to just go on smoking is bad, it's making his baby would have gone, you're preaching Jimmy here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I get the film. For a second, I thought, are they going to do that?
Speaker 1: And they didn't, which is good. And they didn't because they did it purely by Homo reacting in the way which nine out of ten parents would react the same way when she's eight. Of course, any parents sho should be Not every parent would though, but every parent should be reacting. You see, you eight, You're not trying to smoke?
Speaker 4: What are you doing? Although if you're seeing smoking, it's like, well, at least you're not vaping.
Speaker 1: That's true. But also the issue of peat pressure as well. It's not just smoking, it's just you know, there's there's actually a lot of themes in this. There's the desire to want to succeed and the lengths you'll go to do so, so smoking whatnot, even if you know it's bad for you. The pressures of having to make your mom proud. So she's doing this also because she wants to make March proud, even though Marge, you know, I don't know. It's March's the villain here in this story. She's kind of the villain, but not meaning to be she's the reason of this story.
Speaker 4: I imagine if you watched any episode of Dance Moms or none of the dance moms are going to be thinking, well, no, I just want my little old to succeed. I share, I want my I want my daughter to be met Naddie Ziegler or who else with Martha Somebody, wasn't it Jojo Siwa? She want like a Dance Moms. I don't know, you know that little girl who thinks that she's the next Miley Cyrus.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know. The hippen and the hop and in the popping, I'm not into.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think she would view herself with the villain. I think she views herself as just a proud and happy mother who has helped her daughter find her passion in her direction, which is actually her own passion and direction. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also didn't mind the opening at with the book launch right because I was like, I remember when this was a thing. When he goes and you line up and you'd be like, all fans are the same theme, whether it be like a Star Wars launch or something. It's like we don't know each other, but we all connect because of this medium. It felt very of its time. Yeah, I'm trying to recall the last time anything was that sort of popular. I well, I last time I experienced this would have been Force Awakens premiere because it was first real felt like the first real Star Wars post. So it's because it's going to have Mark Hamill and or in it. Even he's in it flight ten seconds Harrison fort Millenium will also pump rawlineing. I'll line up for six hours to get my seat because it was first in best dressed. That's the last time I remember being at a gathering of a launch? Can you ever last me into a launch? Not really a launch? I mean I remember the feeling of going to see Avengers Endgame. Yeah, I saw a you know, sort of a previous screening of that at the Imax jam Hacked. Everyone's like, oh, I was a huge but I still I could. I can appreciate the excitement that was you knew it was a culmination and there was a there were two feelings that was like, oh looking forward to this and oh I hope they pull it off. And when you get to that final thing, particularly, this is the thing that comes up on people replay this on Twitter and social media all the time. Just the scene where spoilers for endgame the click right, No, no, it's thoughts hammer flying past theanos, who's holy.
Speaker 4: Captain America's holding whatever I thought? I only thought, and hold that he's got it and many he says Avengers Assembled, which the whole thing's been leading up to, because I think it was an age of ultron or civil War or something ending with Captain America saying Avengers and he's like, you got to say no, we're cutting the credits. Oh come on. When all that happened, I mean, I'm a jaded old fuck, and I was like, that's pretty cool. I was like, yeah, man, you did it well done.
Speaker 1: It was like it was fancy but also done in a way that felt naturally. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean there's they tuned for hour of you guys review of Avengures end games. Well, these half hearted fans, yes, and there's like we know you guys have been we know you've been waiting for this.
Speaker 4: We we really want to do this right. And they really did do it right. I mean, the Russo Brothers catch a lot of flak, but when they get it right, they get it right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But this year was so I remember also being dragged to the launch of it would have been the PlayStation three. Maybe they would have been the three. My mate he lived in town. We would have been seventeen is eighteen, So I stayed his place after school and we went to the midnight launch of the new PlayStation and there was just fucking people everywhere. That's great, I meant, being like Westfield. No, no, it was it was market Square because eb Games used to be in there, remember I do. And the line was like out the door, and I'm like, we' written market squares?
Speaker 4: What I am the last time that Market Square had a life? And yeah, I mean you see that nowadays with people like lining up for the latest iPhone or something like that. I must have been. I can't make that cane in my brain's like really for.
Speaker 1: Me, it's like, I guess, play stations technology, it's the same thing. I guess.
Speaker 4: It's like, well, yeah, but it's what it enables you to do. And I guess, you know, I can say the same thing about the phone, although what does it enable you other than send text, make the tic TACs? And you know, what's the other thing? Take fun as yourself?
Speaker 1: What's the other thing you do with your phone.
Speaker 4: I remember you just make calls on it anyway.
Speaker 1: But yes, this is obviously your take off of the Harry Potter books here. Oh definitely, jelic Button and jelackin Button has almost become an yeah, because that's it was. Actually, they're the books that Homer was red and he didn't want to blow the engine. A lovely story. It was good.
Speaker 4: I really liked that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, changed the ending to make her not feel sad.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I do like when the Simpsons creates stuff that's in canon, yeah, or not in cannon, but that has a bit of continu yeah, and it becomes part of the universe that is, like, we know this is Harry Potter, but it's their version of it, and yeah, it makes recurring appearances like that, like it's itching scratchy.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's great. I really like when, Yeah, the Simpsons creates something that is part of the Springfield universe.
Speaker 1: I thought this might have been a taken the mickey of when it finished the book series Harry Potter, but no, Harry Potter. Apparently the last one came out in two thousand and seven. This is two thousand and four. Oh okay, so they Oh, hey, when was when was this episode? When did it come out?
Speaker 3: Two?
Speaker 1: Oh? Wait? Maybe it was?
Speaker 4: Then someone wrote, I say, I felt like I feel like we're in the mid to later two thousand.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, no, but so I read it here. The opening Angelica Button segment is a parody of the fan fest Friend of Harry Potter series. It stated this is the final Angelica Button book, whereas the final book Harry Potter was released in two thousand and seven. I thought that was implying it hadn't happened yet. It already happened. So, yeah, it wasn't the mickey taken mickey of the final Book of Harry Potter.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I never got caught up in the Harry Potter fanfare, but I remember it being huge news and when that it wasn't the last book. But when I won't spoil it because you know whatever, But when that, I go spoiler the endgame, when that death happens. Right, I remember we had a couple of friends who were obsessed, sive fans of Harry Potter, and a kid came to school like read it before like school that day brought at midnight read it overnight, came to school the next day and walked into the classroom and just yelled at what happens, and people cried, like people were genuinely crying. That was so sad. Were people crying because spoiled? Yeah it was spoiled, Yeah it would be. Yeah, they were like, it's heartbreaking. I mean, and I got it. I thought that's a terrible thing to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Look, I'm prone to spoilers, as you will know. When I tend to explain things, I tend to go a little more in depth than I should. But I don't think I've ever done anything that agreedious.
Speaker 1: But he did it delivered to just and a geelong DJ actually lost his job by saying it on the radio as a passing comment. I should driving in the car with mum and she was like dropping home from my friend's place or whatever. And the guy was just like, so what do you think about someone so dying? And it just hits clickic we're weird technical difficulties to be right back after this fascination.
Speaker 4: Oh did yeah, just the worst kind of fan with comic book guys saying oh, you've got this wrong and this.
Speaker 1: One and he was wrong, which I like, and I based it off of the books, not the movie.
Speaker 4: Get Out of Here on your Broomstick my favorite.
Speaker 1: What were your favorite moments from the episode?
Speaker 4: All for smoking. I like Quimby. I like the late appearance of Quimby.
Speaker 1: That next gag was pretty that was a little yeah, a little dark dark. I'm also been bury in keeping Oh yeah. As soon as the cag you're like, oh okay. As a kid, you wouldn't get that joke. As an adult you're like, oh bye, yeah.
Speaker 4: And for the generation X times, it's a nice shout out to. I think it's Animal House, is it? There's a bit in the last bit of National Lampoon's Animal House, where you've got this twelve year old kid. I think he's reading, like he's reading a girly maker some kind maybe Playboy. Yeah, and there's all mayhem at the homecoming float or whatever, and a cheerleader or a major atte that sort of flung through the air and crashes through. He's doing their lands on his bed and he looks and says thank you God, which you know, back in seventy nine we thought was hilarious. So yeah, I like that. I mean, I was, yeah, I was happy to see Quimby.
Speaker 1: I like Chaz Young. It reminded me of spirit Fingers Guy from I know he's based on all that jazz, but his Spirit Fingers Guy from bringing on sparky paletry or sparky something. Yeah. Yeah, just I think everyone can. Just when you when you bring it up, you think of spirit fingers, Right, That's the thing you think of, isn't it. I always remember just that opening I'm curted every word to. It's just ingrained in my brain because it was one of those movies that you just put on all the time, and it was never released on physical media. Here at that bog in my mind. I had to get my mate to bring it over from the States. When he came over, shout out to Matthew Blam. But he's also he's recently bringing he coming back next week. He's bringing the box set of the Shield, the box set of the Office, and few the Little Good. It's it too late for me to play an order, because he was saying this, at least tomorrow, go to Walnut get me this. Yeah, next time he comes twice a year, so oh yes, I must have been.
Speaker 4: I was looking on my Amazon wish list, which I put in the show notes if anyone wants to get us birthday pres Yeah, like.
Speaker 1: Is this too much?
Speaker 4: Look? Can I get this myself? Don't worry about it? But that's very nice. At Matt's getting all this, I'm pretty sure that he get bring it on DVD here.
Speaker 1: Sorry not blue ray?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes we had on DVD.
Speaker 4: Yes, hello, mister fancy, that's so.
Speaker 1: But you think bring it on. That's popular enough to have a Bluetoo release.
Speaker 4: You would think so when was released two thousand, two thousand, so I know, maybe they're coming up with like a twenty fifth anniversary settle.
Speaker 1: So maybe, but a border of it. And Holly loves it and then now she watches it the case you can watch bigger and I'm like, yeah, sure, it's cheer it is a bit of fun, and it's occasional like they use the fag word, they use whore, bitch and shit and I was like, huh, I don't remember all these words in this movie.
Speaker 4: Two thousands at different time, when a movie for I know, not kids but young adults. Yeah, traffic and those kinds of that kind of language. What an opening song though, it's fantastic.
Speaker 1: And whenever it's whenever Nichol says it's cold in here, we both go they must be some tourists in the atmosphere.
Speaker 4: It's lovely to have these private gags. I did like Chaz Busby as well as he mentions a shout out to all that Jazz. It's Chazz Roy Scheider playing Joe Gideon, based.
Speaker 1: On who many fans may know, Roy Scheider as as the sheep Brody from Jaws, which you know, we'd always be Chief Brady.
Speaker 4: We may be talking about that in some form or another in the near future.
Speaker 1: Or maybe doing your pilot based on that. Anyway, we may be, we may be, who knows, we're not. Maybe drinking our malts and Milo's.
Speaker 4: Got no poker face. Yeah yeah, based on based on The Light Well, written and directed by Bob Fossey, the noted dancer and choreographer you see at the very end of the Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always remember, I've never seen All that Jazz the film, but when they seen the start of All that Jazz in Chicago, I was just mesmerized. I was like, you're a pretty lady.
Speaker 4: She certainly.
Speaker 1: Legs are going for dad, legs that go all the wet, like two thousand and three, you reckon. I think two thousand and two was early tens, and I was like, oh my, is a great movie. It's the music that is unbelievable.
Speaker 4: So I enjoyed that very much.
Speaker 1: What did you enjoy So you touched on a couple of mind But I also really enjoyed that. I can't believe how easy it is in this country to get cigarettes. Yes, yes, anyway, lets let's we're gonna move on because tis Nicol has a meeting very very soon. That's true, and you've got daddy duties to next question. You there eating the Beast. Trivia time, Trivia time three. Guess how many questions over two three feet you made your first one? Okay, the Angelica. But button book that Lisa is holding up before they go to the thing.
Speaker 4: What's it's called?
Speaker 1: Don't know what is it? It's the tea Cup of Terror, tea cup of Terror. What are the first words of the last book? Martin reads it?
Speaker 4: Oh, something to do with the troll.
Speaker 1: The dark Lord has summoned, you said, the wizard troll. Well done you Well, we're speaking books. Flanders has a hardy boys mystery that he is crushing all the goshes and there falls out of It's the Hardy Boys and the mystery of the Watts. I don't know the odd shaped rock. Okay, well, my next question is in that moment as well, because Homer says, I ate all your what earthquake supplies? What will be an earth earthquake supply?
Speaker 4: Just tin dude, bottled water and tin food. Imagine which and which we all need for the upcoming climbate emergency. Yes, which we're currently experiencing here in Jeelng. It's very windy.
Speaker 1: It's like category three cyclumb which New Americans probably just laugh at, but that's extreme for us.
Speaker 4: I wrote about it on Facebook saying, oh, it woke me up in the middle of that. I I was scared that a brand the Wizard of O music plan friends saying you've seen the movie Twister. I literally live in Tornado Alley. Yes, sorry, guy, wakes up.
Speaker 1: I'm not in Jela anymore.
Speaker 4: I'm not in her nearly.
Speaker 1: I'm having a stroke. Did you ask me super earthquake supply? You did?
Speaker 4: Indeed, Well, let me ask you one last question then, what is Bart's luchador name?
Speaker 1: Oh? Al Guabo? Yes? And my final question is what is on Marge's T shirt as she's driving Lisa, and she's clearly at a.
Speaker 4: Was it ballet mom or proud balet Ballet mom? Ballet mom? Yea, yes, she got the bumper stickers and everything.
Speaker 1: I really said. I'm like when she's when's driving there, she's clearly a answer balet mom. Did you know that? By supporting our show on Patreon, you get access to four exclusive podcasts per month, including Talking Signfold, Tales of Futurama, Speaking of the Hill, and the movie Guys. Plus you also get early and add free access to four Finger Discount going down to south Park TV launch pod and the one about Friends. That's twenty hours of podcast each month for the cost of a cup of coffee. Fick God, it got here, So go ahead and support your palas Guyandan there today at patreon dot com. Slash four finger Discount link is a description of this podcast. It's Stonecutter shared out time here for our review. I've Smoke Gone the Dirda, starting with the Loving Lady herself, Katie G with her one hundred dollar support. Thank you so much, Katie. Our main man Andrews with his fifty dollars supporter as well much appreciated. Also shared outs to not only Zach Prew our main editor here as well as our discord legend mister Andrew Swan, but also shared us to the following top tier supporters Stonecutters here at four figure discount. We've got Jonathan Rossi, Rage Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sean Deevie, Pete Anderson, Timothy Belson, Andrew Davis, Ryan Dunlap, Kevin Dentil, Planned Flood, Shannon Hofer, Bella Window Bank, Jack McFadden, Heap will Be, Adrick McLeod, Lewis Cavanaugh, March, Reliven, Reese, Roberts, Ginger and Piggle Preston, Murray, tala Enriquez, Jape Mersado, Deckland Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Josh Hellier, Logan b James Shephard, Joe Ridenseec, Dave Princess McNelly and Gavin Lang. Oh. By the way, also Damian Miller. Thank you so much, guys for being top TEA supporters stone Cutters of here at four finger discount. Of course, we also need to throw shot at to the following people who also joined the four finger discount family recently, including Charlie Turgeon, the real both Thomas Macin, Gert jam Bray, Huge Ass, Laher Cain, Laura McDonald, Gus Acman Jones, Ghost to Wrestling, John Looney, Schnitzel, Seth Boister, Anthony Debral Zeldor one two three, and Emily Marie. Thank you so much guys to join the family. Your support is much appreciated. All right, now it's time for us to get into our review mister Davis of Smoke on the Daughter, which originally aired as we discussed a little bit earlier on Marsh thirtieth, two thousand and eight, production code kab F zero eight, written by Billy Kimball, directed by Lance Kramer. I like that name, Lance Kramer, I.
Speaker 4: Was about to say, I like the name Billy Kimball.
Speaker 1: Billy Kimball. Yeah, sounds like a drummer, Billy Kimball playing the cymbals.
Speaker 4: I like Billy Kimble on the keys.
Speaker 1: Billy Kimble and the keys.
Speaker 4: Isn't that a great way to be introducing in the band. Got Billy Kimble on the keys?
Speaker 1: No, just kid you, I'm jeep Billy Kimball and the cash gag was the Wally Curtain, which I thought was quite that.
Speaker 4: Wasn't too man and appropriate for this this episode, as you pointed out.
Speaker 1: So kicked off of Homer and Lisa waking up Bart for the launch of the Angelica Button book, the final book in the series, The.
Speaker 4: Denemon of Doom or something.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure, I can't remember. Anyway, It's the book launch, middle of the night, and I'm like, this is cool. This takes me back and Butt said he's not going to go with it. Of course he does. They dragging him there and all the people.
Speaker 4: Are dressed up and wearing his magic Isn't real t shirt?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, just been that guy. It's the frame of fo I wonder what happens.
Speaker 2: Maybe Sandrux is an arcallops, I've read a rumored Spider Man's in it.
Speaker 1: Shut up, shut up. This is a spoiler free zone.
Speaker 3: Angelica Button costume, Lisa, Oh, the griffin on your coat of arms is fishing left, not right and f yi, Angelica wears two tortoiseshell brets Troy them.
Speaker 6: I based my costume on the book Snacked the movies.
Speaker 1: I'm totally spoiler free zone. I would panic going to a book launch knowing there's always that one girl. I think guy that's at my school. Who just wants to ruin someone's day and it's like home with the AMPI strike back. But he didn't do it deliberately, they did.
Speaker 4: He Oh no, no, he wondered.
Speaker 1: I can't believe it. He was just so stunned by the By the point, do you remember the feeling when you first saw that? Were you stunned that that reveal of Darth Vader?
Speaker 4: It's pretty wild? Yeah, yeah, I remember. I think I've told the story that you know. It was around my birthday and the dad drove me and my best mate j Peter Melbourne. We were the only people in the cinema. It was like the first screening of the first day.
Speaker 1: I thought cinemas were just always packed on first day back then.
Speaker 4: Well, this was movies in Australia open on Thursday, so reputable people at work and this was sort of pre the pre fanboy age strikes.
Speaker 1: I think I was fan boys worth thing by that point.
Speaker 4: Well, but they were probably like, I can wait till Saturday night.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough. Yeah, and it's not going to be spoiled because there's no social media.
Speaker 4: That's true, yea, yeah, you listen to that ten year old boys that are running around, go it's dead. Imprisoned that child? Uh, yeah, that was It was quite a thing. Yes, I bought I told you, I bought a little action figure and lost it in the side.
Speaker 1: Tried to find that to buy a few years ago.
Speaker 4: That brain always working.
Speaker 1: But I have a vivid one more vivid memory before we get into the review of first day screenings, And it was the re release of ET the twentyth anniversary.
Speaker 4: And I know why, but I was just like, I think that movie is called ET the Extraterrestrial.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Extraterrestrial. Yes, that joke didn't really land. Sorry, but I love because NaN's no longer here. But I was just so excited to see it on to go to the first release, the first screening, blah blah blah, ten am. We got my ticket stub in my DVD cover of it when it first came out the ten am on the Thursday. And Nan, she did never ever drive, never had a driver's license ever in her life. She never drove.
Speaker 4: But she came down, she drove it.
Speaker 1: She came out. I took the day off school and I was lent that day off school for it, and Nan came down and we caught the bus into town and we went and had some like we went and got a drink somewhere, like a coffee or she had. I think she got a coffee. I got a hot chocolate whatever. Went to the movie ten am screening. We were the only people in there. It was just like amazing. I said, there's a great memory of just like gone to see the et screen, the only ones there. I've said, I'm the first person this stray to see it. And it's yeah, there's nice memory. It was being on the bus with Nan Sweet anyway, Sweet Combo guy points out that the issues with Lisa's costume, as we said, but she's based on the book, not the movies. And then we've got the either working here. It comes out side there. Everyone has to use a color bracelet. This ship would never work.
Speaker 4: Oh no, just let me in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, reminds me of Jingle all the way with the ball remember that the Keno balls wherever they are. And yeah, not having that Nelson, it makes Martin read the the book to him. In the particular voices on the way home, Lisa's just skimming through the book. So didn't even read the book. She just skimmed through it. Yeah, just not really interested in the I think I just need to note is everything all as well? Ah, that's it.
Speaker 4: This, of course, is a Harry Potter kind of thing. I get the feeling a lot of people aren't necessarily reading the Harry Potter books. Even at that stage for the Wonderful Prose thing was like, what happens, what happens when it happens, what happens?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need to know so I can.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you can get the cliff notes or the spark notes, as opposed to actually reading the whole book, which were pretty thick by the end. I just want to know what happens.
Speaker 1: I sometimes do that with wrestling. Now, the wrestling's on, I was like, skip Ski Skip he won, cool, skips Skip, she went okay, cool. And then I'll go back and I'm like, oh, that match was good. I'll go back and movies and it later on. But I just I just need to know who wins.
Speaker 4: This is the year twenty twenty four. This is the world that we've created for ourselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they get home and that's our book for the year. Now it's time for TV.
Speaker 4: I think we've earned some TV, some TV. Yes, this is a nice thing to hear from you, from your parent or authority figure. It's like we've earned it.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're watching, I'm assuming CUSI with Caruso. Yeah right, but but no, no you said yeah, I mean yeah, but again playing up the spoilers. So Bart spoils his for them. He trained his dog to do it. And then there's entertainment tonight. Wink wink. The people have waking up. What are you talking about? It'll all makes sense, it will all makes sense. Lisa Kudro is the one who is speaking out against adult literacy, and then stop saying things. But that's TV's job. Then we got the news report and the first lady is going to sit on the egg until the hatches, and we get the ad for Chaz Busby's Ballet Academy. Correct and reminds me of you know, when I had dreams and whatever, and takes Lisa see her shaded dreams box in the disappointment closet. She wanted to be a doctor, a save cracker, and a steposcope. Sound like I thought that was pretty good. Oh, that's a good game. That felt vincage, didn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ever since I was little it was a ballerina. So it happened my bosoms came in and ruined my balance. Really how it came in one at a time? Oh, do you think mine at I'm pretty sure you'll have your dance bulbs.
Speaker 6: Huh, mom, it's not too late to unshadow your dream. Mirtha Graham danced well into her seventies.
Speaker 2: You mean she danced well into her seventies, or she danced well into her seventies.
Speaker 6: Well, she danced into her seventies.
Speaker 2: I think you've got a point, Hollie. I'm gonna be a dancer.
Speaker 1: Go go, we're boring, boring? Oh Art this that Martha Graham? Was it well into the seventies, well.
Speaker 4: Well into she dance well into a seventies. English, it's a.
Speaker 1: She danced into a seventies.
Speaker 4: It's a fun language, full of complication.
Speaker 1: Ali's just obviously starting to learn the English language, and he goes, so, why is this one spelt like this? And this one's spelt like this? But they're the same way about different meanings. And I'm white kid, It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 4: Did I invent the language? Yeah?
Speaker 1: That just doesn't make sense.
Speaker 4: When something like that happens, You've just got to pull a Carl Res and say I didn't build the fuck anything.
Speaker 1: He goes, what is what does C and K sound the same? I'm like, kid, I just don't. I don't get it.
Speaker 4: Crare the alphabet, I just use it.
Speaker 1: So they arrive at the Ballet Academy. It's next to the Opera Academy, which is nice that has the music.
Speaker 4: Yes and yes. There's a gag that we probably can't say the three words that are on the window. We could say it. I'm gonna say it, no fair.
Speaker 1: Checks, Yes, do I endorse this?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of the song from The Simpsons color Fagialistic no Fat Chicks, which.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sorry, that's an imperially funny gag, but it's a home speak. He's a terrible person. We did a TV launch boy the other day.
Speaker 1: On the o C oh Yes and welcome to the OLC bitch.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The character who says that line, Luke. He's the architect of Jock, bad Boyfriend, bad dude in general. He's the one who's saying things like, you know, welcome to the o CE, bitch and suck it queer to Seth Cohen that won't stand like, I'm sure we're going to have cocky blue not since you were saying, do you sure? Say some things we tell the bad guy's saying the person you.
Speaker 1: Heal face.
Speaker 4: Learn the difference a hell and a baby face. Pretty simple. Anyway, That's enough of me saying there should be no and.
Speaker 1: Then turns out the heels the one that's saving less from doing the heel ship by smoking correct.
Speaker 4: Maybe shouldn't have started this line of a line of thought.
Speaker 1: Check out TV lunch Pot launch Pot. We talked about the OC By the time you listen to this, the O C will be out maybe either last week or tomorrow, depending on this.
Speaker 4: We've talked about some great shows. We're going to continue to talk about other grades.
Speaker 1: Cheers Fraser with the last reason ones we did and really good Yes. Check it out TV launch Pot linked in the description of this of this podcast. So yes, So they've arrived at the at the Ballerina.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen dancing like that since my Broadway show Dancing like that closed to the week. Too smart for the cord door crowd, too dumb for the Blagel Budge.
Speaker 4: Keep it up, kid, you got something.
Speaker 1: They did this Jake gag quite a bit. Now, is this something from all that jazz? I don't think it is that since that play that is like.
Speaker 4: That which had a great line that I really would just closing five days. Too smart for the corn dog crowd, too dumb for the bagel bunch. It really is hard to sort of strike that nice middle bounce. It's like, I don't get it. We're like, no, I get it. I don't like it.
Speaker 1: So Homer shows but because they're both at home his secret area. You know what I'm doing here? Gay out a gay Joe. There's your quota. But no, he's he's marinetting beef in here, beef jerky, so gay stuff. Yes, he's doing beefjer The queen of all jerkys is beef jerky. Yes, and bar It's like, oh my god, I can't believe this. He's like he's looking up to home and now Marge's leg she's dancing as well.
Speaker 4: Do you enjoy jerky?
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever eaten jerky in my life.
Speaker 4: I don't mind it.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's just really chewy, right, Yeah, it just smoked beef, right it is. Yeah, I was Schumer.
Speaker 4: I'd like it.
Speaker 1: I think I did taste it once and I thought it's fine. But yeah, it can be a text. I prefer a tender falling off the bellm beef.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 1: Who does not but Marge's leg. She's dancing because Lisa's not dancing yet it's Marge. Her leg won't go down, so she gets sent home. But Lisa, meanwhile, she has perfect posture stance. This is how I always stand when I'm angry at somebody. And she gets invited and Marge accepts for her, which is setting up the story. Indeed, so Marge is going to live vicariously through Lisa. Lisa then falls over. She know she's not very good. I'm just confused. You can't be confused until you want six tone. He's gone to rehab, marriage of plastic surgeon, retired, unretired, and then done a special little show called Woman of the Year. So what it is that sounds about right, something like that. But he sends them all out to take a break, and this is where Lisa comes across all the girls smoking yes yes to stay skinny in focused.
Speaker 4: This sounds like it's very much an homage or a tribute to Center Stage, which apparently is very big among young millennial women. Do you know that movie is Center Stage?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: No, it's about young ballet dancers in New York, Zoe Soldana. Isn't it from the aforementioned Avengers?
Speaker 1: Is it the modern day Bring It On?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I was around the same.
Speaker 1: Bring It On was massive when it came out. It was massive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it had It had many sequels, which is none of us saw. Not really. No, I don't think Center Stage is. They're different movies, of course, but I think they appeal to a similar audience. You've got a lot of young women who are now sort of older women, like it was a good movie in a stage and all the ballet dancers are out smoking.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and yeah. That's basically they're saying here, is that in order to there's the expectation that they have to live up to. In order to do that, they have to smoke. That's their that's their vice. If God didn't want us to smoke, and then how came I can do with this? And she uses her toes to open up the cigarettes and has a has a smoke. Lisa them breathe in the fresh air, which is all the secondhand smoke, and she realizes, Oh, now she's getting better at dancing as a result. I'm not sure is that just helping her focus? Is that what it is? Is that what they're trying to say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got no idea. I mean, I think you know, dancers smoke because it's an appetite suppressant. Yes, I don't think it's got anything to do with focus. No, I think they wanted focus.
Speaker 1: That's the joke here. Yes, yeah, that they're just brainwashing into thinking that they cause them to sticks, and an't they cancer sticks? So now Homer is showing a poo He's jecatorium, which didn't really go anywhere. This not really just as excuse to bring up poo in that and to sort of I guess, because you could have just had Hamer and butt walking and it's all gone. I didn't have to be showing anybody did. And then you could have another scene that the the ballet school. You could have some more Chaz Busby. Instead, you got a little time in the jerkatorium. You could have made this going. Homer blame his bart because I'd never showed anybody this. I show you and now it's missing. What have you done with my Joki and then Bart realized it's the raccoons. It's the raccoons. I tell you, the raccoons.
Speaker 4: You fix it down.
Speaker 1: But he's made a very powerless enemy. They tried to show them PowerPoint presentation. He does not thank them, and he will not come again. Maybe that's the only reason they wanted to do it, to make that gag. I think that's I will not come again anyway, So they realized that the dude, the dude, the door has been chewed and there's poor prints everywhere. So he immediately blames Slanders, who's actually been spending the morning blocking out Gusha's and Dance and the Hardy Boy books. And then Bart notices it's raccoons. Raccoons. Meanwhile, Lisa's having the dream here about her future self and smoking in all of her feminist heroes, they're all smokers as well.
Speaker 6: Lisa, Lisa Simpson, time for a smoke. Look, everyone knows his cigarettes are where Flavor lives in a cool choice for a hot night. But therefore, losers, losers, you mean losers life, Simone de Beauvoir, Margaret Mead, Queen Elizabeth the First Lauren bcall.
Speaker 4: My feminist heroes don't forget me, Lillian Hellman. Smoking gave me the energy I needed to write plays and invent mayonnaise. Bring out the Helmans and bring out the best with us, with us.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Button Homer trying to track the raccoons. Unfortunately he's He thought he'd cover them in slipping pills the jerky, but he covered his own ones some pills. He starts, he gets it the best weapon to operate whilst your drug, which is a crossbow and nothing really doesn't really go anywhere. The only shoots a crossbow, but it doesn't hit anything. He just shoots into the air and then the target truck crashes. Yes, the only reason they have this was to have the various things aim at.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but really just the archery target truck go by. Yeah, I think that's the only reason he had it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Margin is then driving Lisa to class. She clearly buzzed. You know, she's got the stickers like dance in the Wings. Yeah, yep, clearly, margines she's obsessed now, and she's even referring to Lisa as herself Lisa the March Girl, the dancing March Girl. But meanwhile says, you know, because home is going to start a war with these records. You always lose these war with animals. Remember that War of the Worms. It was a phase withdraw and they made him build the build the statue.
Speaker 4: Worms are better than you.
Speaker 1: Yes, parably. A video game franchise called like Worms or like a War of the Worms or something like where you shoot worms. I never played it, but probably there's like a million versions of it.
Speaker 4: It's not Earthworm Gym.
Speaker 1: I know that's a TV show. No, okay, So it's like worms video game war. Yeah, well it's just called worms. It's just like worms and Worms, Battlegrounds, Worms, Ultimate Mayhem, Worms, Rumble Worms, Clan Wars. Worms. Again, it's dating all the way back to the nineties.
Speaker 4: Just keeps saying worms.
Speaker 1: Worms. The first Worms game came out in nineteen twenty five, So Worms one more time. Worms. Thanks Worms, Worms. It's just what would be funny killing each other? Worms apparent there's a big success, many many games. Who would have thought, but not me?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: So this is where Homer finds the raccoons and realizes that they share his ideas on parenting and they're all like his family. Ah, that's so different you and I. Yes, time for the next ballet class. Is it the ballet class.
Speaker 4: Yere or is it Yeah, it's a rehearsal or yeah, not the grosser, just a class. Yes. And Lisa is out and can't get in a secondhand smoke, like she's gonna have to have try first.
Speaker 1: I says that the break is when the big cigarette's nine, So the cigarettes in the brain, that's what I'm like. My second Sea says, next ballet break, big cigarette hits nine. I'm like, that doesn't make sense. Brendan.
Speaker 4: You can't make your notes too cryptic for yourself. You're the one on the drivers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Lisa's trying to secondsmoke, as he said, but it's two windy. She can't get it. And then she notices the.
Speaker 4: One on the ground, so she's gonna have to go for the first tance.
Speaker 1: Yes, and herma catches her and shoots it, and thank god it's it can't be how easy it is to get a cigarette. And in this country. We come back from commercial and they arrive home. Marge's making a cake. She's so fulfilled as a mother and as a fan of ballet, and it's a big ass cake, it is. Yeah, Homer's torn though he goes, do I have to stop my daughter from smoking, which will make my wife sad? What do I do here? He doesn't really know what to do. Motherhood hurts my brain, and you won't help. Bart, who's being struggled by Maggie, then says to Lisa, you must stop smoking. You know you can't keep doing It's not good for your health. She says it's gonna be hard before I recital, and he says, I'm gonna get Bart to watch over. You thought you would have liked this moment coming out with Bart coming out of the Oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the apocalypse. Now, yeah, tribute out of the water.
Speaker 1: We'll get that in a second. So it's dressed rehearsal time for Sleeping Beauty. That's what they're doing. I thought it would have come up with like a clever name, but it's not. It's just it's just sleeping beauty.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So she hits the guy's nose. You know, I haven't fully paid for it yet, and last of my checked that it's just Oh, I actually like this. Last time I checked, it's not World wid wrestling, and I checked five minutes ago. So at least of here, she's trying to avoid this the smoke because they're all outside smoke. And she's like, I promised Dad, I wouldn't do it. What can I do? And then they say they say to her like the guilt trip. If you don't take this, it might go into a baby. And this is where q Bart comes out of the dirty leg warmers, much like much like Apocalypse. Now, yeah, who does it in the fild it's Martin Machine, I believe, out of the water to kill the colonel, to kill Kendl Kurtz.
Speaker 4: Yes, terminating with extreme prejudice while you hear the strains of the end by the doors.
Speaker 1: And that's the same scene where you see a buffalo be slaughtered, right you do? Yeah, yeah, I was not impressed with that.
Speaker 4: I was just like.
Speaker 1: I just started. I was like, oh, that things being massacred to death. Yeah, it's just real footage.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you know that that is filmed a tribe doing it.
Speaker 4: I'm aware. Yeah, they did things differently in the nineteen seventies. Yeah, I was, which I mean for real, I don't think you could do that now? Oh no, absolutely not. Can't do anything.
Speaker 1: Even talk about that. That's offensive now offen the people talk about that.
Speaker 4: You make a friend of his picture cans with that guy, David?
Speaker 1: Did you know that? By supporting our show on Patreon, you get access to four exclusive podcasts per month, including Talking Signfouled, Tales of Futurama, Speaking of the Hill, and the Movie Guys. Plus you also get early and add free access to four Finger Discount Going down to south Park TV launch pod, and the one about Friends. That's twenty hours of podcasts each month for the cost of a cup of coffee. Fick god, it got here, So go ahead and support your palas guying down there today at patreon dot com. Slash fourth Finger Discount link is a description of this podcast. Bark calls Homer and he says, meet me in the place that that be planned five minutes until the recital starts.
Speaker 4: What is that wrong number?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's time for Operation Crazy Plan, which is putting the raccoon into still the cegarets. But first of all, he puts the mask on.
Speaker 4: That's a good gag. That's pretty funny. That's some good stuff.
Speaker 1: And feel that I feel bad that I sort of sledge it. You know what I liked about it too? They didn't have Barko Dad. It's just they just left it. It's like, that's the joke.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't explain everything to it.
Speaker 1: We get that, we get the joke.
Speaker 4: We're not smart people, but sometimes we're we're not dumb people.
Speaker 1: The joke for those who may have watched the episode is that Homer puts on a mask too so he can't be seen by security cameras, and it's just black like a raccoon.
Speaker 4: Yeah you can't.
Speaker 1: It's no different except he's a little thing around his head, which I thought was kind of cute. But he's still the cigarettes, not the keys, and gets out the money. Yes, that's what I mean, a nice fat a cash that was yeah. Yeah, and then he throws all the secrets to Quimby and thank god, and she says, I can't I'm pregnant because in bed with his mistress, and he says one more favor, one more favor, gad. I was like, oh shit, first act is now over. Lenny and Carla very impressed. Lenny says the hope sleeping Beauty never wakes up, and the girls realize that all their cigarettes to go, and they're all panicking and they're just trying to one smokes.
Speaker 4: Finger get they're fixed anyway.
Speaker 1: They yeah, and they're no good at dancing now, and they're fighting that there's there's no smoking. Someone in the wall strives to smoke that they freak out because their appetite is coming back, Oh my god. And that's you're saying. That's what that's where it stems from smoking to replace food. And it's just as they've been brainwashed to think, I can only dance good if I don't if I smoke.
Speaker 4: That's the anytime. Yeah, basically, anytime anyone quits smoking, it's when they start to pilot on a little bit. Yeah, that's what happened to me.
Speaker 1: Happen to Matthew Perry, right, I imagine so, yeah, because it's like, hey, it's skinny Chandler, it's unhealthy Chandler, it's fat Chandler.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It's like, if I've got to go to that means I've I've put on a bit of weight, which means I've been drinking. If I'm if I don't, if you go to you, it means I'm on pills, which means I'm skinny. A lot of things happened to Matthew Perry. Rip Matthew, I haven't seen crap like this. This is my Broadway show. Crap like this, right for five years.
Speaker 1: Listen than rants about the ballet. You think she gotta rand about smoking, but no, she's ranking about the ballet. It's unnatural and it's unfair to women. I'll smoke to that, as Patty and Selmer say, Then Chaz leaves. Now is the dance he's doing, It's spiritfingus dance.
Speaker 4: But is that is that basically the Fossy move? It's the Bob Fossy move.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's all kind of very with the music. He's dancing onto the bus and he leaves. The family all aating ice cream after one of their favorite times, which is well, this is one of their favorite pastimes eating ice creamf Bosh recital. Marj says, you know I was in the wrong for making you do this. This should I shouldn't be living by characters when my child it's not fair, But says will that mean I can stop being a wrestler? No, and Homer makes him preen practice. He's preening into the crowd.
Speaker 4: I know you enjoy your wrestling. Wrestling, Yeah, you're wrestling. Do you ever watch any Mexican wrestling and anything like that.
Speaker 1: Well, Mexican wrestling is more like us. It's theatrical. That's not storytelling. It's just wow, that was exciting. But just ligitors just doing big moves. No, no, yeah, no, soap opera sort of story. They pretty much like I mean, all wrestling's all the same. They all sort of set each other up for the next move whatever they get to the right spot. But it's very much Mexican wrestling. I'll just stand here and go. It's like acrobatics.
Speaker 4: Yes, this big gentleman in the mask is going to jump on my face.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's why. That's okay.
Speaker 4: There, Sorry, I didn't mean to introduce my own fan fiction and to into this episode.
Speaker 1: Yes, but Smoke on the Door I did like it, but I had a few right listeners to.
Speaker 4: The show will undoubtedly know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I will start off saying hated it, by the end going nextally not bad. Sometimes you've just got to sit down with your pal Dando and go through it and realize, hmmm, maybe not the some of its parts, but the parts just.
Speaker 1: Need to pieces. Yes, yes, all right, So next episode of four figured Discount season nineteen wise we shall be reviewing Papa don't leech, so look at for that one in your feeds. Don't forget guys. Please continue to support us on page if you can do so, it is much appreciated. And if you can't, we can also support us by rating and reviewing us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify wherever you do listen to this show, or you can if you're watching us on YouTube right now, come it below and tell us what you think of the show. Subscribe to the channel, give us the thumbs up, all that good stuff thumbs up, Yes, nice things, five star. Yes, we shall be saying goodbye to you all now but for all the for you on YouTube. But right now, all the listeners, we're gonna be hearing the guy Davis new Need Championship.
Speaker 4: Oh you lucky people. What do we learn Bomber? Actually, before we do that, miss Davis, what do you learn from the episode? What did I learn from the episode that I think I've learned some TV?
Speaker 1: Yes, how good it is coming home? No one else in the house and it's putting on your program?
Speaker 4: What did I watch?
Speaker 3: This?
Speaker 4: Kind of like a soap opera?
Speaker 1: More kids, We used to watch the show called Passions had or Tommy or whatever, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 4: And it actually was designed as a soap proper in a lot of ways that will be in a weird and fucked up one. But twin Peaks, oh yeah, yeah. I mean that's got a very soap opera kind of field to it. But it's also just dark and distance.
Speaker 1: It's a hipsters soap opera. It is a little bit and that was me absolute tes Today I learned that there's a shipload of worms games, but never I've never played worms, but I want to play worms now. I want worms. You've got word jet's like you what something?
Speaker 4: I got them to burn.
Speaker 1: Forward? Your names will be all right? Is the guy Davis New Name Championship. The current leaderboard stands at this mister Davis. In first position, we have Jared Hornby on nineteen points. We have Adam Moorehouse in second position on fourteen points, and Phil Hawkins on eleven points in third position.
Speaker 4: Take it away, Take it away. One point goes to Smokey and the ballet.
Speaker 1: Now there was two actually there were well ballet bandits yeah not that one. No, no, just smoking the back. Oh so apologies Melissa and listen is that they go damn you Davis, damn you, Melissa in return, So the one who just said so, the not that one not smoking the ballet band just smoking in the ballet that is ballet sounds enough like bandit to make the joke work as far as I'm concerned. Fergus, Jeff's what on? Fergus with the one point there that puts you now in fourth position? On six points? What with car?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: Then two points go to par de do do always works? Jet Gurdon with the first points of the season. So two points to Jet, what on, you're the second best Jet? We know, Jet, Jet, You're coming second with a dog, but yeah.
Speaker 4: Don't feel bad about it, Jet, It's a pretty good dog.
Speaker 1: Three points goes to ash Dance always good. Oh, Chared Hornby, Oh, I don't know, Jared Howny is going to beaten now. That puts him eight points clear in the first position.
Speaker 4: Well, this was episode fifteen and there are five left, and there are twenty episodes.
Speaker 1: This sea, so there's still fifteen points worth of three point is to the thing is, though, you're going to get points and he's going to get none. And as we always say, Guy Davis goes in blind. So to everything.
Speaker 4: Pretty much everyone says. Many people are just like everybody. We'll go at people on the highway.
Speaker 1: Yes, so okay, So Jared's now in twenty two, Adam Moorehouse second on fourteen, Phil Hawkins eleven. So it's going to take some absolute pearls from Adam Moorehouse or Phil Hoggens to get up there. But it can be done.
Speaker 4: I have faith in both those gentlemen. I have faith in everyone who takes part in the Guy Davis New Name Challenge.
Speaker 1: So Clever Kyle and Fergus can't win now because they are except Clever car because they are sixteen points behind, and there's any I know, there's only fifteen points possible, like if you get five three pointers, so they can't win.
Speaker 4: I don't think, Yeah, you'd have to be who shoots three pointers? Kobe, I'm not in your.
Speaker 1: Jordan. Just say almost this go by for Jordan.
Speaker 4: Scotty.
Speaker 1: Don't try and think Scotty Pippen.
Speaker 4: I just like saying the name is Scotty Pippen, great name, great name. Anyway, you'd have to, yeah, shoot three pointers on the level of Michael Jordan. You'd have to take it personally. Yes, So good luck that.
Speaker 1: And I've decided and I'm going to ratcon this to previous people who have won it. If you win the Guy Davis New Name Championship, yeah, you get a top tier patronage support for the next season. Wow, that's that's pretty good. Yeah, I mean that's a pretty good prime. So Phil Hawkins, you've got one coming your way as well. I'm going to look at the previous winners. Everyone, they're gonna get a free.
Speaker 4: Oh you're going to apply them recroactively. Yeah, well, good for you.
Speaker 1: It's not fair to just not give it to just give it to someone now and not give it to the previous ones.
Speaker 4: You're handing out participation ribbons. Winners be winners.
Speaker 1: Yes, maybe the last two oneever's most fini. So whoever wins gets the season next season, the season twenty will be a top tier supporter and they get them on every episode regardless of whether they are supporters or not. Please, I cantie find that.
Speaker 4: The downside is I'm going to read it out in.
Speaker 1: This foolish all right anyway, guys, well that is the Guy Davis New Name Championship. As I said, Joe hold me eight points clip but still send any new names to do so. You've got to be a supporter of ours on Patreon, and for now is the Davis Any final words for those incredible listeners out there
Speaker 4: We hope you've enjoyed four fingered discount to the podcast that is too smart for the corn dog crowd, but too dunbe for the bagel bunch.