Speaker 1: In Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are.
Speaker 3: Gettle off our show, idiot.
Speaker 2: The kids are playing or tearl oft and the coaches are.
Speaker 3: Screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Goldpleay inter murals, Brother gold play inter murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 4: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick coffee?
Speaker 2: All right, good afternoon, Welcome in to a Thursday edition of Coffee and Company, fuel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety A cold Thursday. I'm pretty sure winter has arrived. I mean maybe we will get warmer weather at some point, like before Christmas, but we're a week away from Thanksgiving and it is it is cold as hell outside. I mean, like I knew it was cold, it was going to be colder. I mean I I was trying to to you know, each day I check the weather because I got to figure out, Okay, what am I going to put on my kids? Like can they go kind of light? Do we got to put a hoodie on sometimes, you know, because the moose wants to always wear shorts if you can. And this morning I saw that it was going to be, you know, in the fifties. In fact, Saturday is also going to be I think the high is like fifty two, which is going to be cold by the time that game kicks off and certainly when it ends. But anyways, I never check like wind chill or anything like that. I mean, I kind of like in the summer, I just look at the temperature. I don't really look at the heat index. But I was out and about running errands today and I thought to myself, Man, maybe I'm getting soft because it's it feels a lot colder than fifty degrees. Like this is crazy, Like I'm going to be in for a really really rough winter if I'm already this, you know, miserable with these conditions. And even I think I don't know if it was around. I think it was around like I don't know, eleven o'clock or something like that, and we had like legitimately, I don't know if it was snow. I don't know if it was sleet. It wasn't rain, it was something and it was melting as soon as it hit my windshield. But like it was coming down. In fact, now I see we've got a chance for some snow later this evening, right around the time the show ends. So anyways, I end up thinking like, man, this is this is this is awful, and then pull my phone out and see that, like the windshield today at times was like twenty one degree. So that's why it felt so bad out there. Are you a fan of the cold weather? Austin used to live in Arizona, so I would imagine you probably hate.
Speaker 4: The cold weather.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I would well, Ever, since moving here and finding out what like actual humidity is more or less sort of hated the summertime. I don't love it when it's freezing. This is I mean, I guess still freezing, but you know, like frigid ten I don't love that.
Speaker 4: But I'm fine with the cold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want I want snow if I'm gonna if it's gonna be really cold outside, and we haven't, I feel like we've had pretty mild winters in the last couple of years as far as like actual snow we have. I feel like there's been at least one big storm that did kind of you know, put school out for a while in the last two summer and in the last two winters, I think we've had like one big, one big thing that that did feel like okay winters here. This is because, I mean, who doesn't like when we get a little snow right Like it's it's it's you know, it's gross when it melts and all that kind of stuff, and you don't want anything to keep you from from going where you want to go and all that. But like, I like the thought of being snowed in, especially around Christmas time a little earlier than than than I would want it as far as where we are today, but.
Speaker 5: It captures the aura of the whole winter time that we're in right now.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so again cold today, but uh you know, you know how that changes here in the in the Derby City. I'm trying to find a way to shift some like encouragement for people to not be bothered by the cold weather arriving and maybe you know, keeping them from going to the game on Saturday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, even if thought the cold is going to do that, yeah, I mean, as other things probably keeping them from that.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of factors. Yeah, I mean, this has turned into the kind of game where you really and look, you know, I don't want to get into the whole attendance conversation today, but I do hope that there's a good turnout on Saturday for obvious reasons. One, you always want that, but also it's senior Day, and there's a lot of guys who aren't dudes who came here for their six or seventh year. These are guys who played here for a long time and were part of both the end of the Saturnfield era and the Bram era, and it's their last chance playing in front of a home crowd here at Louisville. So for that reason specifically, I really hope that there's a lot of people out there. But when it comes to guessing the attendance and like what kind of and I don't mean number, because I would never be good at looking at a crowd in a football stadium more a basketball arena and just telling you the amount you know, roughly the amount of fans that are there.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Again, if you know the actual capacity and it's full or to it, then you could probably guess a little bit better. But anyways, games like Austin p Jacksonville State in football and in basketball teams like Morehead State and Bellerman Bellerman maybe not because they are kind of local, but like Winthrop tomorrow night here in the Young Center. Those are games where like I don't say it often and it doesn't matter, and i'd love to be wrong, but like I kind of know, or maybe I should say, I kind of expect to for it to be a pretty light crowd and even lighter like if the team's not good or they're really struggling. So yeah, and I don't say that it's criticism. I think anytime you talk about attendance or lack of people there, it's like you're insulting a fan base. And I get why people see it that way, but I never mean it like that, because I think games against teams that don't move the needle, that keep people from investing their hard earned money in giving up their valuable time when they could still watch it at home or maybe keep up with it doing something else. In fact, if you know, if they've got a life. And I don't say if you go to games, you don't have a life, but you know what I mean, So I get why people don't go to those kind of games, So it's not criticism, it's just reality. And if there ever ends up being big crowds for those kind of games, I'm happily wrong. And then there's the games that are on the complete other side, like when Louisville plays Tennessee and basketball in November. There's gonna be a good crowd there, especially with the momentum that Pat Kelcey entered the season with. As far as just morale. You know, when you play Miami in football like you did earlier this year, that game sold out, like Louisville does. Like I know, I have a pretty good feeling when it comes to the first types of games I mentioned, nobody teams not expected to be, you know, a great challenge. And then on the other side, it may be a big challenge. You may lose big, but you're playing somebody big and it matters. Therefore there'll be people there. Where I have no clue as far as what to expect when it comes to attendance is when it falls in the middle, And I kind of think that's where we are with this Pittsburgh game, because had you not lost to Stanford, I mean, I think you'd be in a better spot to get people to come to your game. If I'm being honest with you, I don't know. But again, even if you would have beat Stanford, I could still see the pit game, you know, Pitt not being a great team. There's really not a whole lot you're playing for at this point. The weather's not going to be great. I mean, I could see that being a game that would be you know, who knows no clue what to expect even if you did beat Stanford. But you didn't, and you put together what I believe is the most embarrassing loss we've probably ever seen from Louisville football as far as how it happened. So then you know, you consider that which does matter, and then the weather and the opponent, and they're just not really being a whole lot on the line here. I mean, I mean, I'm not telling you it's going to be terrible crowd, but I don't expect it to be a great crowd either it or probably somewhere in the middle. But I would hope that because it's senior Day, you do end up, you know, hopefully that can be the kicker for you if you are in fact on the edge and you don't know if you want to go or not. But I'll be there. I don't know if that's gonna make you want to be there, but I'll be there with with my with my wife and uh and my my son. I think we're gonna think my nephew and my sister are gonna go too, so we're gonna go. So it's gonna be a whole coffee shop. So you think that you think that incentivized people.
Speaker 5: To go, now, absolutely, I think I want to go even more now there we go.
Speaker 2: Like, well, if any anything to help, because I know people get really really upset if they see empty seats when they go to games. And again that's never I never say that to act like a tendants isn't important, but like it's really not a to me. I think it's a result of society and just people not doing things the way they used to. We evolve as human beings, that's more. It's more of that than it is any anybody's fault. Now, again, there's things you can do to help it, and that you know, be good. Obviously, you want to have success. That's that's the most important thing. If you have a good team, there's gonna be more people within your fan base that want to get out and see them. But also you can't schedule teams like Morehead State. And I mean again, I shouldn't say like you can't do it, No you can. I'm just saying like you can't. You can't have that on the schedule and think that that that alone is going to be enough for eighteen to nineteen thousand people to go closely fill up your basketball arena. It's just not the way it is. Again, it's nobody's fault. It's just again, things change.
Speaker 5: Now. We know Moose loves the games. How does how does Maya taking games? She a really big fan of it. She's not gone to a game this year. She has been to She's been to a Louisville basketball game, and she has also she's also been to I believe one of the spring games she went to, So you know, she she's probably like a lot of kids where you know, seeing everything is kind of cool and then you know within the within a few minutes and she's ready to go. So she doesn't get into the action or anything like that. And in fact, no, she went to Louisville live and she had a good time. But but you know that was like a big that was a big to do, right, like it wasn't a basketball game, it was really an event where they got the five, they got the pyro out, they've got you know, there's really a performance in a show that it is a basketball game. So there's a lot of lights going down and yeah, and that kind of got to her a little bit.
Speaker 2: But that, honestly, I think you see less of that at games than you do at an event like Louisville Live. So we just know that if it's gonna be a really really long day, meaning where we're just gonna be there for a long time. Which look, that's another part of the whole tendance conversation is if you go and you know, make it a thing like you're giving up like six hours roughly of your time, and that's not easy for a lot of people. So when it comes to that, we just, you know, we tell Maya we're going and she can go play with her gammy or she can go she can go with a friend or something like that. And she understands Now she's old enough to where she's like, yeah, I kind of feel like I'm being left out, but you know what, I don't want to go like survived, Yeah exactly exactly, So all right, Uh, let's uh, let's dive in. Shall We've got a lot we're gonna get into today. We're gonna be talking coming up here at four oh five with the one and only Ken Spencer from w h AS eleven. Looking forward to chatting with him. Also, we've got our first UH point spread in the Governor's Cup game. I guess welling F one. But it's been in and out as far as being available on different sports books, and the line has relatively stayed the same. Louisville is currently favored by two and a half in that game, in the Governor's Cup Game, So what I want to do? And again, I know you've got Pittsburgh coming up this weekend. Kentucky's going to be taken on Texas, but we're getting close enough, and in fact, because of the holidays, we don't even have that many show like it's not a normal week for us on the air. So I've got some updated thoughts, some belated thoughts if you will, on this matchup as of now, And again I think it's not too early to do it, given the fact that we know who both these teams are right now, and you know, whatever happens between Texas and Kentucky as well as Louisville and Pitt probably won't have any real impact on that Governor's Cup game unless you know, somebody gets hurt, which, of course you know could always happen, so we'll get into that. Also, college football playoff rankings. I'm kind of not like I'm not over it, but it went from like, man, this is really interesting to sit back and see like all of these different scenarios that could somewhat realistically play out that would really cause chaos, and now it's just like it's I feel like, you know, if you're somebody like myself who does enjoy that, it's just an echo chamber for us, because everybody else is in their own world just yapping and screaming about the Big ten in the SEC. How could you say that these teams in the Big ten are remotely good enough to be top six in the SEC and to be to be fair on the Big ten side, I'm not really hearing anybody saying that, Like they believe the Big ten is substantially better. They just want the games to matter, and that's and I do side with them on that. So we got a loaded show. We'll let you guys, be a part of the show today if you'd like. Five oh two five to seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. If you want to give us a calle. You can also text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line at five O two six five three zero seven ninety so. One thing I wanted to uh to to start with here, and you know, I'm glad we're thirteen ish minutes in now because I don't want it to seem like, you know, this was so important that we needed to, you know, lead the show with it as some huge topic. But it is something that has been discussed in the last I don't know month or so, and that's Louisville football high school recruiting. And today Louisville lost another one of their commitments from the twenty twenty five class. And you know, that's that's something, you know, that's something you never want to see, right, that's not you know, it's not good news, but that had, you know, that piece of news coming out today. And then also people realizing that Louisville is ranked dead last in the ACC in high school football recruiting for twenty twenty five. And you know Louisville losing the way they did against Stanford on Saturday, and even before that game, you already kind of felt was that this team had underwhelmed a little bit. Any goodwill that you got from the Clemson game kind of felt like it went away quickly because the Clemson game gave you the benefit of the doubt. But yeah, we're losing. We've got three losses, which I don't like. But man, they're the good teams. We're still really good. Look at us, we just went on the road to meet Clemson. Well, then when you lose to Stanford like that, it's kind of out the window. I mean, you still be Clemson, and that's great, but you're back to where the fans, I think, view this as a team that is just really frustrating to watch because they should be better, They should be able to be playing cleaner football this late in the year. So look, all of that is, you know, a bunch of not good stuff, right, But I happen to think that if Uliver would have went out there and won by six touchdowns against Stanford, which they easily could have, if they got their head out of their ass, to be honest with you, and you felt like, okay, wow, Like we may end up actually being a top fifteen team in the College Football Playoff when it's all said and done. As far as the rankings, like, I don't think anybody would be really paying attention to high school football recruiting or even giving much of a care about this kid decommittee, because you know, what happens on Saturdays really is going to dictate how fans are going to view certain things, if that makes sense, And clearly Saturday was embarrassing. So I feel like the noise in regards to the high school football recruiting for Jeff Brohm has been louder this week than ever, and obviously today getting that news, it's not great. So what I want to say is this being ranked dead last in the ACC in high school recruiting is like there's no way to say, oh, that's who cares. I mean, that's a tough look, even though high school football recruiting clearly is not as important as it once was. Like you never want to be dead last, I mean in anything when it comes to me. So you know, that's not a good look. But depending upon how they put these rankings together, it may not be nearly as worrisome because a lot of times these rankings are based off of quantity more so than quality. And Louisville they don't even have that many kids committed now, which again isn't good, but like that may be that Like, if you've got a really small class but the average is like high three star, maybe some somehow low four star, you may be ranked substantially lower than a class that has a bunch of mid three stars that you know. I'm not going to tell you that doesn't matter, but like doesn't really tell the whole story. That's what I will say. Also, you have to look at who is decommitting. I mean today it's running back Jalen Brown, who I guess had try to see when he actually did commit because I feel like he'd been committed for a while. But he's a running back, and right now Louisville has two freshmen running back that you know, and obviously Isaac Brown's had a monster season, but Duke Watson's been pretty good too. I mean, he came in and played really well in Brown's absence at Stanford, and throughout the year he's been good. Like Louisville, you could make the case, and I'm not saying that like it'll be this way when it's all said and done, like when their careers end, but right now, because these guys are getting real reps as freshmen, you could argue that Louisville easily has the best freshman dual running back to some in Power for. I mean, Isaac Brown is the best freshman running back in the Power for. And I don't think it's because of you know, he's one of few guys that are getting a run because it's rare this day and age to be relied on that much as a true freshman. But both these guys are So if you're Jay Brown and you're a three star running back, I mean, why would you come here? I mean again, we'd love to have you. I mean obviously Jeff Brom liked him enough you offered him a scholarship, But like makes total sense the kid would would would want to de commit because guys that are just a year ahead of him look as if they've got you know, they stick around at Louisville, that's going to be your backfield for for a long time. So again, that's not good that's not good news. But again, but that's that's that's expected. Like, I don't really know whose fault that is. I mean, you could save Jeff Brom having two freshmen running back that are here right now that are really good. That's the factor here. So's who you're mad at. Now we'll get into the weeds of it a little bit, I don't. I know that's not a great tease for the rest of the show, but I do want to take a look at the twenty four seven sports rankings for high school FRED like to kind of give you a better explanation as to why Louisville is dead last. Now, again, that's not where you want to be. You should be better than that. Even if you're taking you know, five, six, seven, I don't know however many commits. You shouldn't be dead last. So we can get into that. But Jeff Brom is going to always rely on the portal, and I feel like he has shown so far even with you know what happened Saturday. If you are an offensive player specifically, or I guess especially, I guess you can be defense too. But like, if you're an offensive guy and you're in the portal, you can look at guys who had one two years left that came to Louisville, and they would probably tell you that was a great decision because I really maximize what I could do in Jeff Brohm's offense, and I think Jeff just personally really does prefer it this way. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. Nick Coffee, Austin Montgomery, It's coffee and Company. I fell about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: From the Fox Sports studios in Los Angeles. Here's mon.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: I'm embarrassed to ask this, but this is Limbiscuit right, Yes, it's sure.
Speaker 5: No, this is the Undertaker, Fred Durst. Yes, yeah, the red cap, the famous red cap.
Speaker 2: So the reason I asked, Austin, you'll learn this over time is that. But actually, I feel like most of the stuff you've played, I either know know it or I don't know it, meaning like I don't have to question like I don't you know. But with John he would play music to where I would feel confident, like I know who this is and this is the name of the song, and I'd be like, way off so after getting it wrong as many times as I did, I decided to start just asking before assuming. But I knew that I knew that sounded like fred Durst. Apparently they're working on a movie, a biopic of him, like his his story, which initially I thought to myself, I don't know if that'd be that interesting, But then again, you know, he's had a pretty first of all, when he was in his heyday that was so long ago, like you were, you had to be like a little bitty kid, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, My my parents wouldn't let me listen to his music. This was the chocolate starfish hot dog flavored water, right.
Speaker 2: I think it's one of the first CDs that I bought, along with Kid Rock's album Ball with the Ball and that became a big thing, and then Eminem, one of his first albums was Those were the first CDs that, like with my money, that I got for birthday or for Christmas, that I would have that Actually, yeah, I actually went and purchased it. So, yeah, fred Durst, there are things about him. Obviously, I was so young when he was when he was you know, when Limbiscuit became huge around that time, they were big on t r L. And that's like TRL was was a big thing for me whenever I was younger, but you know, I'm not plugged into like the you know, the news at that age. But I didn't realize like he was a pretty he was a pretty big a hole. Like yeah, I mean apparently he is. He's believed to have like intentionally well, you know, it can happen with the type of show that Woodstock is, but whenever it became like a complete mess. The documentary that was on Netflix about Woodstock made it seem as if like he he kind of got off to the fact that he was going to be the one that you know, and again that's not a good thing, but it's rock and it.
Speaker 4: Started a riot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were just they were just here about a couple of years ago at Louder than Life, and I think that was fresh off of that, that Woodstock documentary, and I feel like everyone was just even more toned up just because they were expecting something like that. But they're just not the same band that they once were.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: I personally thought that they sucked. Well. He he had like a you had like a white afro.
Speaker 5: Out there, and at one point he was like he was dissing the people like in the back and then you know they had the screens on the on the on the stage. Yeah, they turned the screens off so you couldn't see it, and there was.
Speaker 4: He was just making fun of people.
Speaker 5: If you don't have the time or the money and you're all the way back there, then that's your e F and luck or something like that.
Speaker 2: And I'm sitting there like, listen, guy, he was like going after the production people that were messing something up.
Speaker 4: I think I don't know, I don't I think he.
Speaker 5: I think he like strictly told them turn this ass off, okay, and and it was just like everyone with them, gotcha.
Speaker 2: And then he didn't want people following his show through the screen.
Speaker 4: Yes, gotcha dude.
Speaker 2: Again. That fits with like he seemed just like an a hole, you know what I mean, Like that's what it. That's what it seemed like.
Speaker 5: Just think of him, and I just think of the Undertaker, the American Badass coming out to that.
Speaker 2: Song and you forgot that was one of his theme songs.
Speaker 4: Oh you knew business was about to pick up when that limpbisker.
Speaker 2: That was a good Undertaker error too.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, you know he debuted that specific character at the Judgment day that was at Freedom Hall.
Speaker 2: So when that's why I remember it, Yeah, not because I was there, but like I've seen like that. That's a big moment in WWE events when he returned as kind of a different, a different version of the Taker and he was more of like a Harley Badass, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it came out chewing a dip.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then you could see the Freedom Hall sign in the back as he's gonna go Oak Slam Stephanie mixed, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it is cool to see that whenever you'll, you know, on TikTok or Instagram. For me, I'll be scrolling through reels and TikTok videos and I guess it's just the algorithm's hit to where like I occasionally see a lot of old Attitude era WWE stuff, and there's certain moments that are that's one of them that are pretty big. They get shared a lot throughout that space of wrestling fans online, but two of them have that same it actually might actually be the same event, but you see Freedom Hall right there, and you know it's nostalgic, it really is.
Speaker 5: And with that moment apparently like there was some sort of production mess up to where people I mean, as they had the vignettes, you know, vignettes when they lead up to like this Superstars coming up, a lot of people were kind of putting two and two together that this was going to be the Undertaker or well, people heard the motorcycle going for about a couple of minutes, and the Undertaker like missed his cue by like a solid minute. So the finish of that match was completely hurried up and kind of actually people were actually pissed about it. But there were a lot of people that heard the motorcycle like minutes before like his vignette hit, and oh my god, someone's about to come to the ring, and people said that they heard it and he missed a que anyways.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 2: You would And for those who don't know, Austin is a big time wrestling guy, that's right. So are you somebody that was as big of a fan of Undertaker as like his when he to me, he's still believed to be like one of the best wrestlers ever, right of course, Now do you think that's justified? I wouldn't know, So I'm not asking, like you know that is that legit or is that not legit because.
Speaker 5: He's not on my Mount Rushmore, but he is. He's one of the top five legends.
Speaker 6: Ever.
Speaker 2: Is it Is it based off like longevity.
Speaker 4: Longevity and kind of character?
Speaker 2: Well, because again I think his character's cool, but like to me, it doesn't fit up there with the others that I that I that I believe and also think are up you know that that are that are put in that same tier that everybody in wrestling puts him. And again I'm not anti Taker. I think he's great, but I just never understood what make what got him to be as popular as like that top tier.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was just it was longevity, It was a style that he that he worked, and it was also his loyalness to the business, at least lowness to WWEE because yeah, Netflix series, Oh yeah, he's he's huge, huge Vince McMahon guy, and he's just that. That was actually when he came out with that, He's actually been on record saying he was scared to come out rather than something than the dead Man. He didn't think that fans would buy it, just because last time he was seen on television was like a zombie character. So that was a huge leap forward for him to try that, and he's just kind of grown his character to make sense in almost every generation that he's been in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been huge. And my favorite thing ever on the Internet with the Undertaker is whenever he was doing cameos for people and this is one of them.
Speaker 6: I mean, you should give your mom a big hug and tell it's from the Undertaker.
Speaker 2: Like, that's the best clip I've ever heard in my life. Imagine sending like that. I mean, first of all, getting the Undertaker Cami is in him and him in character. It's just funny to me. I mean not to insult him, but like, that's just funny. But you know, call your grim that that. I mean, this is it gets no better than this.
Speaker 6: You should give your mom a big hug and tail it's from the Undertaker.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. I wonder what my mom would do when I gave her a hue, a.
Speaker 6: Big hug and tail it's from the Undertaker.
Speaker 4: Mom. That wasn't for me, that was from the Undertaker. I love it.
Speaker 2: Good stuff, all right, So let's go to the text line. Five OO two six five three zero seven ninety is the number. If you guys want to text in and this text says, Nick, don't you think that if you are known for just being reliant upon the portal, it'll make it harder for freshmen to commit to you. Yes, and just to reset for those that joined us a little bit late. The Louisville football recruiting rankings have been discussed and understandably, so I don't want to make it sound as if you know it shouldn't be discussed, but I just I think Louisville struggling this year at times, and especially coming off the most embarrassing loss I can think of in Louisville history, You're going to hear more noise in regards to like, hey, what the hell's going on with this class? They keep losing commitments and they're ranked dead last in the ACC. So to answer your question, yeah, it could potentially make it harder for you to be able to, I guess bring in a big class. But you know what, like if somebody's out there, if there's coaches out there that are telling recruits, hey, I wouldn't go to Louisville because Jeff brom he doesn't trust freshman. Freshman, he doesn't He's going to rely only on the portal. I mean I would I would hope that a coach would do that. So then when the recruit brings it up to Jeff Brom, he could point to Isaac Brown and Duke Watson. I mean those are guys that again, there's other running backs on this team that you know are veterans. Now, Maurice Turner getting hurt, I mean I hate that, and Brom probably would have given him the good run. He was going to be the starter. But at the same point in time, like, I think it's worked out well because you now you had to rely on the young guys, probably a little more than you maybe wanted. Although I always felt like Jeff Brom knew he had something really special with with Isaac Brown, and he was right. As far as Duke Watson, maybe he's benefited from Maurice Turner getting hurt, but either way, I mean, Donald Cheney's been he's been, you know, serviceable at times, but like that's a veteran who transferred from Miami, who was pretty productive in his career at Miami, and now he's taken a back seat to one freshman and arguably too when you consider what Duke Watson has shown as of late, so you know you're always going to have negative recruiting against you. And it's and I'm actually glad you brought that up because that is something I hadn't really thought about. That if you are a guy that really does rely on the portal and it's known, then if you're recruiting some high school kids, you know that can be weaponized against you by their programs. But if they're going to do that, they can't do it about Jeff Brom at least not this year because he's I mean, he's playing freshman if they're good enough to play, and I'm sure that's what he's going to sell these guys. Yeah, we really we'd love to have you. In fact, you could mean you're always selling when it comes to recruiting, right, You could easily and say, oh, yeah, we are going to rely on the portal because you know, that's our style, that's how we want to do it. We've been successful, it works. But we also recruit a handful of high school players that we really think are good good enough to help us, So we're being selective and we want you. So maybe you could be that next freshman that plays alongside a team of mostly veterans and really makes a name for yourself. So again, you can always spin it a different way. So right now Louisville's class, they've got eleven commitments in the twenty twenty five class. This comes after they got a d commitment earlier today, which we discussed earlier in the show. A running back a freshman, an incoming freshman in twenty twenty five as a running back, Yeah, I mean I would decommit too. In fact, I would question the kid if he didn't decommit because of both Isaac Brown and Duke Watson. Now the other de commits. You did lose one of your better defensive commitments. I think it was to Indiana. He actually visited. I think he visited, did he Yeah, I think when Louisville played Miami instead of visiting like most of the class did that day for the game, he ended up taking a visit to IU and then he flipped his commitment I believe about a week ago. So again, you know you're losing a kid to an in home state or an in home program that has a lot of momentum right now, and with in Kurt Signetti. So again I'm not telling you that like you shouldn't you know, this is a good thing, but you know, it happens, It really does. And one thing I wanted to bring up really quickly before we get to our next break, when it comes to Brahm's philosophy, Like, you know, I think he's going to try to utilize the portal like every other coach, But I also think he's gonna be on the top end as far as really you know, not worrying about numbers and just saying, hey, if I like what this kid can do, if I've seen him on tape, if I'm familiar with him, I'm gonna go. I'm gonna try to go get him because he can make us better. Like I don't think he's going to so to say, all right, i'm gonna bring in this class of you know, a handful of players. How I mean, maybe you're gonna bring in twelve thirteen freshman which will be a really really small class. And by the way, right now they only have eleven and we're going to retain our roster, Like he's not going to just base it off of Okay, I'm gonna take twenty percent, this, thirty percent that, because you just never know, and in fact, I also think that he is probably you know, I'm sure there are guys that are going to transfer or have already transferred out that he didn't want to see leave, but he's probably not going to again. This is a lot of coaches say this. I think this is just just personality. He knows that there's really nothing that could be done about it. So if a kid decides he wants to leave, instead of I think sulking and like feeling like man, this is, you know, in complaining about where college sports are right now, like a lot of coaches are doing, He's just gonna go to the portal and go find somebody that maybe is even better than who he lost. So you know, you're gonna you're gonna have a little bit of everything. I would I would imagine just like most schools, you're gonna have some true You're gonna have players that you retained from your roster, and then you're gonna have guys that left because they hit the portal, or they graduated, or maybe they went to the NFL, and then you go fill those spots with guys from the portal, and it'll probably be a different number in each of those three categories. Every year, but I would always think that, just knowing what I know about Brom, I think he's probably gonna lean towards that bigger number being new transfers that came in. You know, he was during the Notre Dame game, I think it was. It was on Peacock and who's the former Austin Helman. Who's the former Cowboys coach that's now no longer a coach, he's a broadcaster. Oh, Jason Garrett. Jason Garrett. Yeah, So Jason Garrett was doing color in that game, and he was talking about how Tyler Schuck had gotten off to such a good start, and you know, during a conversation with coach Browm this week, he really taught you know again he was mentioning the conversation he had with Brom about Chuck and how much he loves that, he's hungry, he's experienced, and there was something clearly like it wasn't like he was trying to break news, but it was just something he brought from the conversation, and he said that Brom told him he loves doing that and he will continue to do that. So I was kind of, you know, surprised more people didn't notice that was said, because you know that would lead you to think, Okay, well it's Pierce Clark's never gonna get to play here. And to be honest with you, I'm not sure if he is or not. But I think with Jeff, if he sees a quarterback that he knows, you know, can help and somebody that's experienced, somebody that he really thinks, okay, imagine what I could do with this guy's arm in our offense, he's gonna go get him. I don't. And he may have a guy coming back that you feel good about because he was you know, he's a returning starter, or maybe maybe because you know, maybe because you know he was the backup and showed showed some really good upside in a game where he played because the other guy was injured. I just think it's gonna be hard for Brom to not look at the portal every offseason and go get a quarterback if you can, regardless of the situation. All right, quick break, we'll come back here on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along as we wrap up at three o'clock hour. Don't go anywhere, and I mean it, don't move. Stay exactly where you are. If you do have to go somewhere, you can always take us with you. Listen live on the AHET Radio app. Listen live at seven ninety Louis dot com. So again, no excuse is to not be locked in with us for the next two hours and change right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: I'll back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to it, shall we. Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. So I was just a little distracted as we came back from break there because I was thinking to myself, Okay, Hube Brown, who, by the way, for those who didn't hear the news, he will be retiring from broadcasting after this upcoming season. And I know a lot of people don't really listen or I'm sure I don't know if you're listening to the NBA, but I know a lot of people aren't watching it like they once were, which I don't even think it's worth making it a thing to discuss on the show. But for those who missed that news, NB, if you were sure, is down, and it really doesn't surprise me in any way but for those who did not know about Huey Brown, He's he's been a broadcaster here and there for a long long time. But I listened. I watch enough NBA to be able to listen to him, you know, here and there. It's not like I'm tuning in all the time. But like he always stands out as a really, really good analyst, and that doesn't happen that often. You could be really good, but for it just you know, and it's just my opinion. But I know, clearly I'm not the only one that has this opinion that he's damn good. But he's so he's this good and yet he's ninety one years old. I mean, think about that. It's one thing to be able to still do that. There are broadcasters in their seventies late sixties that, like, you hope that they get out soon because they've fallen off so much. This dude is in his bag still and he's ninety one years old. I mean, that's amazing. He's pretty beloved in the NBA, it seems, because there's a lot of people discussing. I'm just looking at some of the reaction here from the report that came out from YAH from ESPN that he's going to be out after this season and walk away. So I mean, I'm also just jealous, like and I'm not even talking about like from a broadcaster standpoint, but I would imagine Hughby Brown does this because he loves it. Doesn't need to do it, but he loves it. He's a basketball junkie, he was a coach, and now he's a broadcaster. That's like his extension of still you know, that's an extension to still be in the game of basketball. So whatever you do, imagine loving it right. And I'm very fortunate, and I mean this sincerely they'd be able to do something that I love. But I know a lot of people don't. You know, that's just life, So I realize how fortunate I am. So, but if you are somebody like myself, imagine being able and wanting to do it and still be really good at it until you're ninety one years old. Like big time jealous of Huby Brown. If we could all be that lucky and he was a I mean again, I remember him coaching when I was really young. I remember, and they may still do this, but I don't know if they did it towards the end of my days of being a big card collector. But I used to get packs of basketball cars words when I was a kid, and some of them would have coaches cards, and I would always be very underwhelmed, like why would I want to coach his card? And I remember Hube Brown, a young Hubie Brown, coaching the Atlanta Hawks on one of the cards that I had, and no offense to him, but I'm pretty sure I gave it away to somebody who was collecting coaches cards, and I'm thinking, why would you want to do that? But he, you know, he's more so known as a broadcaster, but that's not necessarily just because he's you know, that's not because he's a guy that you know, was terrible at coaching. So he found his lane in broadcasting. I mean he by the way, he coached the Kentucky Colonels in the mid seventies around here, which they won the ABA Finals. That team did in nineteen seventy five. But he coached for the Atlanta Hawks, the New York Knicks, and then he came back after sixteen years and took the Memphis Grizzlies jobs. In Memphis Grizzlies job in two thousand and two. Yeah, So this is somebody that has an overall record in the NBA that is above five hundred and he did it many many years. But yet I still think he's more so known for broadcasting because he also did that a long time, but he's also really good at it. So shout out to ub Brown. I don't know why. He's one of those guys that, for some reason when people say hubi or they turned the h into a y u b Yeah.
Speaker 4: Ub I always said Hubi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too, Like I never see Hubie and say ubi. But there's some people that like there's other words. It's like a New York thing. There's certain things Patino said where I would think, why are you emphasizing a why there instead of an eight? You know, just just sounded kind of odd. But anyways, shout out to Hube Brown.
Speaker 5: I think of the NBA Finals broadcast when I hear hub Brown. He's always been good at that.
Speaker 2: He's a legend, man, he really is. All right, coming up here at four or five, we're going to be chatting with the one and only Ken Spencer from w h AS eleven. Looking forward to doing that. We do that each and every week. So this is say this. This came in earlier on the show whenever I was talking about one of the first texts that came in today on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line is a question about selling tickets or giving away tickets, because we were discussing this being a game for me, and it's just my opinion. There are certain games where I feel like, yeah, there's not going to be many people there at all, and I understand why, and then tho's other games where I'm like, Okay, yeah, this will this will this will be a big turnout, maybe a sellout, like the Miami game in football. But then there's all kinds of games that are in the middle to where it really just depends upon little things like is it competing with the music festival? Is the weather good? Is the team? You know? Are they playing good despite maybe playing an opponent you're not worried about. I think that's where this pit game comes in. And I'm worried because the weather being cald, it being cold, what happened at Stanford last week, Like I worry that we probably will see a crowd to where those who get really bothered by attendants, they're going to be very bothered. But this text says, Nick, somebody created a post on a message board saying, you said on your show that you're not allowed to give away tickets. I listen every day and never heard that. Can you confirm so you might listen every day? And that's awesome and if so, I appreciate it, and it's nice to know that. I'm still occasionally, I guess, appearing on message boards. I mean usually they say really mean things about you know, radio people there, and I, you know, I had to stay away from them because I didn't, you know, I didn't. I can't can't have my ego getting too damaged. So if they're you know, they're still talking about me on there, I guess that's that's that's a good thing. But anyways, if you listen every day, great. I did slip it in, but I don't remember it being like a long form topic and I don't even remember how it came. Oh yeah, it was probably when we were talking attendance. And I'm always trying to, you know, bail out of the conversation whenever we talk attendants because I don't really think like I mean, I don't think it. I mean, you both things can be true. Yes, you want your your games full every time you open your doors, but that's just not realistic. And whenever there are games where the crowd is very light. Again, I'm not saying that's great, but I just don't. I don't see it as an issue as an issue that that means some one did something wrong. I just see it more so as like, yeah, I get it. It's it's you know, Popcorn State and it's a Tuesday at nine or something, or it's you know noon and it's one hundred degrees outside and you got Murray State in town. Like I just I get it. But yeah, I mentioned how I tried to give away tickets to Louisville games and Louisville events and I was told by Lirifield that I wasn't allowed to. So yeah, I mean it didn't come up on the show because I was raising Hell, oh, here's what it is. It was about. It was about prices of tickets, That's what it was. Because everybody was trying to get basketball tickets to the Tennessee game. But even the game like before that against Morehead State, in the game before that against Small uh yeah, Spalding, you know, like it was insanely expensive to just go get tickets on the Universe on the school website. So then I mentioned, you know, I've I've tried to give away tickets and they won't let me. So it wasn't you know, but I mean it to me. I think it's petty and I think it's silly, but it's the truth. I'm not I'm not trust me. I'm not bringing it up on the show to get people like they should really give away tickets. I mean, I think they should, but you know, it's their choice. And again, Learfield pays a lot of money to UL to be able to say, hey, we own the rights to do that, and you got to go through us, so more power to them. All right, quick break again, two more hours left. We're going to get the four o'clock hours started with the one and only Ken Spencer, whas eleven and I hope you stick with us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: This report is sponsored by Low