Speaker 1: All right, Tim, I am out of my mental headspace right now because I'm joined right now by one of the smartest guys in that Dodger clubhouse. He is going to make me even more of a mental midget during these next few minutes as we get set for first pitch in our nation's capital, and that is Dodger rookie reliever Jack Dryer. Jack, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for having me.
Speaker 1: What was Blake trying telling you in the food room.
Speaker 2: We just had a little pep talk. He wanted to make sure that I was aware of, you know, what to expect in a talk like this, But he had nothing but good things to say.
Speaker 1: And Blake Tryning, by the way, the first two days in DC very dressed up, but today he's back to Blake Tryning with that black tank top.
Speaker 2: I think he must have gotten used to his old roots, so maybe he's feeling a little bit more comfortable now.
Speaker 1: Blake has kind of taken the role of what Daniel Hudson did for the bullpen last year. How much of a leader is Blake trying for you guys?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been great, obviously, you know, one of the veterans on the team. So he's done a great job of taking me any other young guys under his wing and kind of showing us the ropes, telling us what to expect. But it's not just him, you know, we have an entire bullpen of good guys like that. So I'm just very thankful to be a part of the group.
Speaker 1: How do you get prepared for your groupings of hitters, because we've heard since Dave Roberts and Andrew Freeman took over, it's not so much about innings, it's about groupings of hitters.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think one thing that the Dodgers do really well is have excellent communication. So going into games or series, we know where our lanes might be. But at the end of the day, our job is to go out there and just you know, do our job get outs, help the team have a chance to win. And so I think over all the bullpen has done an excellent job of that so far.
Speaker 1: How much does it feed off itself when you come in and you're facing a high leverage part of the order, like in Philadelphia striking out Bryce Sharper, facing that part of their lineup and succeeding, how much does that feed off itself as far as confidence goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, obviously if you afterwards, if you go back and look at it, it's a cool moment, and you know, it's fun to think about. But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter who you're facing. You know, our job is to go in there and throw strikes and get outs, and so that's just all I try to do.
Speaker 1: It seems like you've been in the league for five years, the way you're still composed on the mound. How have you been able to keep your poise and not let the game get too fast?
Speaker 2: I think, you know, going back to even when I was, you know, twelve years old, my dad would always tell me, you know, somebody should be able to watch the game and not know if you guys are winning or losing based on your body language. And so I think that's been a big part of how I try to, you know, act on the mound. You know, just like you said, keep my composure and do whatever it takes to let the team win. And so, you know, antics can stay out of the game.
Speaker 1: Jack Dryer is our guest all business, except when it comes to Rubik's cubes. How quickly? Can you solve a Rubik's cube?
Speaker 2: Back in the day when I was when I was practicing every day, it was thirteen seconds was my best time. But now I average about, you know, eighteen to twenty.
Speaker 1: So it's like me running the mile. You've slowed down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, over time, you'll it'll lose your touch eventually.
Speaker 1: How many of your teammates and your bullpen mates know this about you and how many have tried to challenge you so far?
Speaker 2: I think it's pretty well known. You know, in spring training, Dot called me up in front of the team and had a competition between me and Tommy Edmund and so Stanford guy, Yeah, Stanford guy, very very bright mind. So that was a cool moment. But everybody is aware of it now. I think guys just kind of avoid the topic.
Speaker 1: So how did it end up between you and Tommy Edmond in front of the team.
Speaker 2: We gave him a bit of a head start and I was able to I was able to close close the gap, so it ended up in my favor.
Speaker 1: Hey, speaking of all that, obviously we know this game is all some say ninety percent mental. What are the mental exercises you go through to get ready to pitch.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's one thing that, you know, can really separate guys. And I think that's why the Dodgers do such a good job is because we have you know, mental coaches and coaches who understand the mental side of baseball. So it's all kinds of things, you know, like poitive self talk, reinforcement, visualization, all that kind of stuff. So we're really hitting you know, every step on the way.
Speaker 1: All right, Jack, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it. If you ever need a life coach, I'm available this season.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. I'll have to take you up on that.