Speaker 1: Right now, let's say good morning to the host of Rich on Tech right here on KFI KTLA's tech guy, Rich DeMuro.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Rich, Hey, good morning.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a lot of buzz about Deep Seek, a new AI. What is it and do we want it?
Speaker 2: Well, this is a new AI out of China, and it kind of surprised a lot of people overnight because they're doing what CHATCHYBT and Google and Meta are doing at a fraction of the price, or so they say. And so this has kind of up ended everything we know about AI, like how much it costs to produce these models, how much it costs to run them, the chips that we need for these things, And of course it sent Silicon Valley into a tizzy because it seems like everything we knew over the past year or two has been thrown up and everything is up for grabs again.
Speaker 1: But it sounds like they kept this secret because I had not even heard that name until all of a sudden it was there and stucks for Nvidi and other ani we're tanking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now you can't hear enough about it. So again, this is a website just like chat GPT and also an app The app has sprung to the top of the App Store also on Google Play, so people are trying this, they're very curious about it. If you look at this deep cki, you know, you can ask it questions, you can have a brainstorm. I told it my favorite movies yesterday and asked for some similar recommendations. So it's everything that you need in this AI. But again, it's just being done at a fraction of the price, and so of course it's putting a lot of pressure on American companies to say, hold on, do we need to rethink how we're doing this now. Time will tell just how good this AI is over time, if this is just a blip on the radar, or if we have seen a sizeable shift in the entire industry.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then you mentioned that it's out of China, and there's already concerns over TikTok having our information and possibly using it for nefarious purposes. I would imagine that there would be even more concern over an AI.
Speaker 2: Out of China. Yeah, I'd be curious. I would think the exact same thing, especially because people are going to start dumping very sensitive information into this chat window right if they want to have their medical records analyzed, or their personal information or whatever. People use AI in really personal ways. So the fact that this is out of China obviously does have some of the same implications as TikTok. It's not more because people are using it for very personal information. So far we don't know is not owned by the government. But you know, things are a little bit different over there in China, So that is the concern, and I guess we'll hear more about that in the future.
Speaker 1: Okay, So for now, I mean, do you think it's worth a download or worth a It's I guess it's just on a website, right, It's not.
Speaker 2: An app, you it is the top Yeah, it's a top app right now in the iPhone and Android. Do I think you should switch to it? No? I think that unless you are an AI researcher or someone who's really interested in this stuff for building an app, I would stick to what we have here. But if you're curious, you know, there's no harm in checking me out. You do have to sign in with your Google account, just fyi.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then we have some iPhone and some Android news. You've got the Samsung S twenty five ultra tell us about that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been playing with this. They had the event last week up in San Jose. I don't think we got to talk because of that, but it was. It's a great phone so far. I'm very impressed. It's all about AI. Of course, the camera's slight upgrade, so the cameras are really good. I will just say I'll cut to the chase here on this phone. If you're thinking of upgrading your Samsung or your Android, or even switching to Android, this is the year to do it, because Samsung finally came out with the phone that is, there's no flaw on this that I can discern, so it's really really nice. And it also, by the way, they got the size of it perfect, so it fits in your hand really nicely. Even though they made the screen bigger, somehow they made it fit in your hand better than last year, which is pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: Okay, and what kind of cost are we looking at?
Speaker 2: Well, you're looking at about thirteen hundred dollars for the top of the line, eight hundred dollars for the standard. But nobody pays the full Samsung prices. There is always a discount. They've got discount for military teachers, students. If you're employed by a company, you know, you can get up to thirty percent off plus trade in. Someone emailed me after they heard me talk about it my radio, so they paid three hundred and ninety nine dollars for the top of the line device after trade in.
Speaker 1: Okay, so big thumbs up from Rich for that one. And there's an awesome new feature in the latest iOS update.
Speaker 2: What is it? Oh my gosh, this is so handy. So iOS eighteen point three if you haven't downloaded it a bunch of you know, a little polish for the latest operating system. But the coolest feature. If you have one of these newer iPhones with the camera control button, you can aim your phone at a poster or anything, or a flyer whatever you have that has like a calendar event on it, Press and hold the button and it will recognize that calendar event and add it to your calendar. So for me, my kid came home yesterday with an event at school they have to go to, and it was a printed flyer that would take me a while to type it into my phone. I literally just scanned it with this new feature and in seconds it added all the information to my calendar. That to me is worth the upgrade.
Speaker 1: It's almost like the.
Speaker 2: Job search.
Speaker 1: Websites that you go to where it like auto fills your resume. Sounds like the same kind of thing where it's reading your stuff and then inputting it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that was my dream forever. It's like, here's my resume, you tell me which jobs i'd be good for? Right, Like, why do I have to search? So I think we're seeing more of that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's cool. So you just point your camera at it and automatically does it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been using it like all afternoon. I showed my wife. She's like, Okay, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Okay, and have to try that one. And that's on the new or the updated iOS. So if you haven't updated, maybe now's the time to do that.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was eighteen point three. Yeah, remember that's on the iPhone sixteen. I'm not sure if that's available on the older models because they don't have that camera control button. You know, Apple's trying to give you an excuse to upgrade by adding all these new features exclusive for the new phones.
Speaker 1: They're sneaky that way. Yes, all right, that's KFI is tech reporter Rich DeMuro. You can get all kinds of great tech tips from Rich when you listen to him Saturdays from eleven am to two pm right here on KFI it's Rich on Tech. You can also follow Rich on Instagram at rich on tech is website richon tech dot tv.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Rich DeMuro, Thank you Amy. Have a great Wednesday, right We'll talk to you soon